Type keyword(s) to search

RS on DVD: Steele Waiting For Single-Sided DVDs!

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this series made it to DVD at all, but...flipper discs have so many issues: The pixelating and freezing and skipping! Do single-sided discs really cost so much more?

That said, if you have a multi-region DVD player (I do), Amazon UK does have Season 1 as a 6-disc single-sided set. There is also a best of German set with episodes from the entirety of the series, also single sided. Makes me wonder why non-US countries get single-sided discs while things were done so cheaply here.

• Love 1

I've never had a problem with these - or any other - double-sided DVDs.  Is this a common problem that I'm just lucking out on not having?

I don't care about format/packaging so long as the price is commensurate, so as long as I have all the content that is available, I'm good.

I've always been rather impressed by how many special features we got for this show's DVDs; the only things missing from my wish list are blooper reels and a joint commentary by SZ and PB.

• Love 2

I noticed on Amazon.de that Remington Steele is getting a German release. I also recall reading of another country getting it but forget which one. Odd that S1 is just coming for them.

It does make me curious if their episodes will have the original music as foreign DVD music issues don't always match ours. If they do, I'll be jealous. And maybe double dip as my DVD player is multi region, thank goodness!

So I bought the German set because the flipper US discs are terrible (in my experience) and it seems like a great set so far. There are 7 DVDs. There are enough pictures of both inside the packaging, which is also nice.

The only thing I'm not crazy about - aside from said photos - is the packaging for this set itself. The box is quite thick, probably because like ER Season 1, L&O: SVU Season 1, and L&O: CI Season 1 as examples and frame of reference, the packaging is the old "accordion" style foldout versus the cardboard box holding individual cases. Maybe it'll change, assuming there is a S2 release. But it's a small complaint overall.

What is amusing is Laura's and Steele's German voices. I don't think it matches them at all. LOL! There is an English track (or I would not have bought it!), but the default is German, and that's how I first heard them.

The menu is in German, too, but luckily, I'm familiar with the episodes, so it's cool.  :-)

• Love 1

Well, I just got the German S3 set in the mail, and I'm happy to say it does have all the original music - including the Tony Bennett songs in "Steele Trying".  :-)  I'd put that episode up on YT, but Fox is mean.

What's odd is, Mr. Bennett is still credited in the episode on the US set, but none of his music is used.

• Love 1
(edited)

Fox wouldn't spend the money to re-license his songs for the U.S. DVD release, they're certainly not going to spend the money to replace the credits.  So it's just a cruel tease to see his name and hear the world's most generic voice.

Edited by Bastet