Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Hollywood, Round Two

• Start Topic

The ALDC returns to Los Angeles and Abby decides to manage Kendall's new singing career. Meanwhile, Nia and Kendall work to become pop stars while also going head-to-head with solos.

Sometimes I get subjected to watching the Disney channel or Nickelodeon tween shows when I babysit, and I've learned that every single show has at least one kid who is super amazing at something (whether they are a genius, or the best singer, or the best dancer, or whatever it is) and they either are famous for it, are trying to become famous for it, or will at some point in the future of the show be famous for it. It's shoved down kids' brains that this is what matters.

• Love 3

I'm so confused about why all these girls need to be pop stars now! Since when does 12 years of ballet lead to any vocal ability whatsoever. What is happening?

Anything for fame. And publicly
(edited)

I think they do it because they can.  Abby would say it's to make them well-rounded "triple threats" in the entertainment industry, but without the reality show, they'd just be dancing in PA.  Maddie's had a good run with the Sia stuff, but that was such a fluke of "right place, right time".  I could see her doing some modeling as a teenager, since she already has a foot in the door.  The other girls....meh.  IMO, they'd be better off working on their schoolwork so they have something to fallback on once this quick blip of fame is over in a couple years.

Edited by Shell76

Ridiculous!

Mackenzie talks back to Abby saying that their dance "Wasn't competition material, it was just for entertainment". And Abby gives her credit for calling her out. But a non-Zeigler talks back and Abby loses her shit and screams and yells about how they are rude and terrible children.

And of course they build up with that ooh did she really just say that? Music. Only a Zeigler can get away with saying that Abby's dance wasn't a competition dance. God forbid Nia said it or even Kendall.

• Love 2

I don't see why Jill is asking for particulars about a contract (neither she  nor Abby is an attorney, so what kind of answer is she expecting?), but I can definitely say that Jill should NOT have the same attorney as Abby.

Yes, that is a clearly a conflict of interest.

Holly is a hypocrite about not having a contract herself, she was clearly just trying to stir up trouble.  But her contract should be with the Aubrey woman who seems to be the agent she's working with, wouldn't the video director be someone she hires (not Holly).

I really want to know how Abby spent $57,000 on Kendall in a month.  

• Love 3

Some info from an insider:  Holly's contract is with Collins/Lifetime.  The whole Aubrey thing is a complete set up by production.  Production contracted with Aubrey.  

• Love 4

I think my favorite part of the episode was in the first couple minutes, when they say that Mackenzie was helping Abby pick a studio. You can hear Kenzie say "It was..." and then her voice is muted out and the caption says "It was horrible!"  But it is 100% clear from Mackenzie's lip movements that she's saying, "It was AWESOME!"

I swear, a tech-savvy ten year old could edit this show better than Lifetime does.

• Love 5

Some info from an insider:  Holly's contract is with Collins/Lifetime.  The whole Aubrey thing is a complete set up by production.  Production contracted with Aubrey.  

This makes so much more sense.  I'm actually excited to see what Mikey Minden does with Nia in the whole video, I'm a little frustrated that Kendall K's has been leaked but not Nia Sioux's.  These stupid names... there are no words!

(This is what I always think of when Mikey Minden is mentioned... and it's interesting that it's Mikey, buddy of Blake's after Blake had a lot to say about about how soul crushing this show is publicly.)

I'm just starting to watch last nite's episode on Lifetime but what I can say is production should do a better job of editing. Abby has already revealed the pyramid has her talk about the group dance " Together We Stand" - cut to the girls - cut to the moms back to Abby who says " Understood?" Next shot the girls pics on the pyramid are turned around and not revealed. They're getting lazy or realize the ship is sinking.

The episode - ho hum. There really is no drama anymore between the moms or the moms and Abby, which I know is what some people hated, but to me it made the show. I really think Nia's video is going to be successful and due to Abby's dislike of Holly right now - she's pushing the Kendall video and is probably the one that leaked it.

As far as the video - watching the discussion about the contract ect. I had thought that Kendall's video was still in the think stage. It obviously was much farther along and I'd almost say all the talk was bogus for the show and the video already done. The vocals were already done and they way Kalani acted on stage when the music was played - convinced me the video had already been made. That may be what some of the $57,000 that month Abby talks about was spent on.

I also was annoyed that Nia actually placed 3rd in the Senior division, but I don't know if viewers would catch that. She's come far and I give her kudos.

• Love 1

Continuing the "results" discussion, I found this for this episode, which represents the goofy placing and picking and choosing the editing by the producers give us.  There are no "official" results on he NY Dance Experience site because of course this is an "invitational" and not an official competition.

For example, this is the results from the recent StarSystem competition that Chloe's duet did well at (1st overall in teen duets) - it makes it really clear how everything placed overall by age grouping and level - Super Stars being the "elite" or top level at that particular competition. Comparing to what I linked about this episodes results, neither Nia nor Mack's placements (DNP) would be seen on a website if there were "official" results recorded.

That being said, they may not have "placed" in the overalls, because there simply were not enough competitors to have an overall, often there is a rule that there needs to be a minimum of competitors in whatever division to justify having an overall - if Mack and Nia were third in their age divisions but they only competed against say 4 other dancers - they may not have an overall because the requirement was a minimum of 10 (I don't know if this is what happened, but it could be what happened).  There were very few kids on stage, once again.  I hope that all made sense.

I don't mean to dismiss the importance or the power of YouTube and other social media...these places are definitely where the next generations of "celebrities" are coming from.  However, it appears that if one posts a video or a selfie on the internet, they get to slap the label "star" or "sensation" in front of their name.  Like most things in our current times, I guess we all have developed such short attention spans, we need the internet and other media to churn out the next big thing in daily doses.

The girls on this show are sweet, talented dancers.  Beyond this reality show (that seems to be circling the drain BTW), I don't see long term entertainment careers for any of these girls. I don't think any of them will make as far as C-, D- or Z- list "celebrity" shows in the next 5-10 years.  I sure hope they have a back up plan and saved for education beyond 10th grade.

Abby needs to spend some time away from kids for an extended period of time.  She gets into arguments with the debate and discourse skills of a 3rd grader.  The only time she comes off as slightly more mature and competent is when she argues with that shrew Cathy.  I will say Abby is looking really good (physically) this season.  Still pretty ugly on the inside.

And I know we have brought this up for many years, but what about the other kids in these Dance Mom's families?  I believe Nia and Kendall both have siblings. Do Jill and Holly just miss their other children's activities?  The non-dancing kids of the family don't need their mother's support or applause?  The therapy bills are going to be astronomical for these families.

• Love 3

I'm pretty sure Kendall's sister is actually in her music video, so the siblings are around.  They just stay off camera.  Understandably.  I would too.

While I do think Holly was just baiting Jill to some degree, if Abby told Jill to jump off a bridge she probably would in order to get Kendall a break.

How staged do we think that bit with Dallas Lovato was and Melissa's face falling the second Maddie got an ounce of criticism?

Omg the "acting coach" session... omg. Was that really meant to help any? I'm assuming [read: hoping] that there was a lot more to it, although I doubt it was truly all that helpful. The girl is 27 and is supposed to be some accomplished acting coach? And I'm supposed to believe she was the reason her sister got an acting job... when she (the acting coach) was 20? Ha. 

But Melissa's reactions to the comments to Maddie... glorious. Her face was all smiles then it just dropped (assuming they were the actual reactions to those words).

I know that they're on TV but it bugs me how much makeup these girls seem to wear when they aren't on stage.

• Love 5

Re: Dallas being the reason Demi was a star... Wasn't Demi on Barney with Selena Gomez? Making Dallas somewhere around 10 yes old when Demi got that job? I could be wrong, but either way I'm not sure that really gives Dallas any real credentials. That would be like if I claimed to be an accountant because I did my own taxes.

• Love 5

Top 25 for the week?  No.  They were back in the beginning but that ship left port a long time ago.  Right now they're over a million viewers below the top 25 list.  

The cost for the Australia episodes above regular costs includes first class airfare for at least some of the performers and choreographers and their assistants, air fare for crew, extra luggage costs, food and lodging for all, hiring dancers and extras locally, and I'm sure a lot of incidental expenses.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I believe that Lifetime is pleased with how Dance Moms is performing during Season 5. It has followed a natural decline in viewership, however, the numbers have settled into a steady pattern this season. 

Of the hundreds of cable programs on Tuesday night this week, Dance Moms was #11 (Adults 18-49) out of all new cable original programs available for viewing. It was the only program on Lifetime that was listed in the top 100. 

In comparison:

A rerun of "Family Guy" had the highest rating for the night at 1.0

Only 1 program had a .09 rating - "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills"

3 programs rated a .07 (4 - if you include Women's Basketball Finals)

7 programs (including "Dance Moms") earned a .06 rating. (Including, "If Loving You is Wrong," "Being Mary Jane," "Deadliest Catch, and "Real Housewives of NYC")

I don't think Dance Moms would go all the way to Australia for filming unless production costs were shared by the sponsoring network in that country. They will also benefit from premiering new episodes that for the first time, are filmed in their country as well.  

Edited by Bichon

This show! Driving me crazy! I feel awful for Nia. She is treated so disastrously and I do not understand Holly sticking around for it.

All the girls are treated so strangely. Abby saying I'm your best friend here, was so culty and creepy. It just didn't sit well at all. Of run far away from this lady. There has to be a way to break this contract easily.

Wow Maddie and Nia are over this! I don't think I've seen Maddie so it if it. Is she just Xanaxed out of her mind or something?

Jojo being able to speak Korean I'd awesome but her mom needs to reach her PC boundaries of she's going to make it in L.A.

These girls are barely able to be human anymore. It's heartbreaking.

Edited by hatchetgirl

I've been told Holly and Nia knew that this was going to happen.  It was the planned arc to have Nia become the new browbeaten dancer.  Why someone would stay on the show knowing that this was the plan I can't understand.  The fleeting "fame" wouldn't be worth it to me.  

• Love 4

I've been told Holly and Nia knew that this was going to happen.  It was the planned arc to have Nia become the new browbeaten dancer.  Why someone would stay on the show knowing that this was the plan I can't understand.  The fleeting "fame" wouldn't be worth it to me.  

I keep hearing rumors that Nia won't return next season if there is another season. Nia is training at Debbie Allen's studio and only shows up to film and do Dance Moms appearances. I wonder if some of the I don't give a crap anymore attitude we are seeing from her lately is simply her being sick of pretending for the cameras.

Also, I've notice everybody is promoting Kendall's new single/music on instagram and twitter, but I've haven't seen Abby or anybody else promoting Nia's music.

• Love 1

All the girls are treated so strangely. Abby saying I'm your best friend here, was so culty and creepy. It just didn't sit well at all. Of run far away from this lady. There has to be a way to break this contract easily.

They don't break their contracts because they don't want to.  It really is that simple.  The kids have a fun time and the mothers love the perks, fame and money.  Maybe some of them are tired of it, that would be normal.  This is the 6th season or something like that?

And why would Nia enroll in a studio in California when her family lives in Pittsburgh?  I could understand her taking classes there when she is in California, but to move there just for the studio wouldn't make sense. 

• Love 1

They don't break their contracts because they don't want to.  It really is that simple.  The kids have a fun time and the mothers love the perks, fame and money.  Maybe some of them are tired of it, that would be normal.  This is the 6th season or something like that?

And why would Nia enroll in a studio in California when her family lives in Pittsburgh?  I could understand her taking classes there when she is in California, but to move there just for the studio wouldn't make sense. 

Britney Spears moved to New York with her mom to be on Broadway as a child. Brother and father were left in Louisiana.

Hilary Duff, sister and mom moved to LA for ex extended time to do auditions. Father stayed in Texas.

It's not that uncommon for a kid in Hollywood to live there with a parent and be away from the rest of their family in their pursuit of fame. Holly's career in Pttsvurgh is done--over---finished. She has no real ties to Pittsburgh beyond her other kids (Both older and college bound soon) and husband; and given how much all of these mothers have given up on their other kids, I don't see why she wouldn't just keep an apartment there permanently. 

• Love 2

I'm finally watching the episode and I thought the big plot of Jill not getting a contract was either too funny or pathetic. It was all just jabber for the show.  She already has the contract she needs because it's with the show.  

• Love 2

Britney Spears moved to New York with her mom to be on Broadway as a child. Brother and father were left in Louisiana.

Hilary Duff, sister and mom moved to LA for ex extended time to do auditions. Father stayed in Texas.

It's not that uncommon for a kid in Hollywood to live there with a parent and be away from the rest of their family in their pursuit of fame. Holly's career in Pttsvurgh is done--over---finished. She has no real ties to Pittsburgh beyond her other kids (Both older and college bound soon) and husband; and given how much all of these mothers have given up on their other kids, I don't see why she wouldn't just keep an apartment there permanently. 

But Nia doesn't have that kind of talent.  Moving to do a show on Broadway is different than moving to go to a dance studio.   Especially the type of dance studio that can be found anywhere, maybe not a famous owner, but I'm sure there are professional schools in the Pittsburgh area. 

DADA offers open classes - just buy a punch card and you are good to go.  We have no idea how the girls are training outside of choreography while they are in LA (until Abby gets her studio and faculty up and running) or maybe Absolom does. ;)

There are also Millennium, The Edge and Debbie Reynolds.

Just because she's taking class at DADA doesn't mean she's a full academy member.

• Love 1

I could sign up my grandson at Debbie Allen's.  Unless the child is specifically in "The Academy" program, it's just like any other studio.  Well even in "The Academy" it's still just another studio but a high quality one.  

So far I can't find anyone who says that Abby has actually opened a studio open to the public.  That she/the production company have rented space for filming is all that's been confirmed.  

She could have an actual studio in the works and the people I know just don't know about it, but someone should.  I tend to think it's like the non-existent music video contracts that it's just episode material.   I think Abby would like to think her name is now a big enough draw that she could open a successful dance studio in the LA area, but I expect it would fail fairly quickly.  There are too many creative teachers and choreographers in the area.   The show has become a lot more fiction than fact.  

• Love 1

In Nia's defense - in the past few years her dancing has improved and next to Jojo - she's the next best performer as far stage presence. The small blurb of her video has me much more excited than Kendall K's as it looks modern and futuristic. Britney Spears, by far was not the greatest singer - even she envies Christina's vocals - but her marketing team did a great job and made someone with average talent a superstar. Miley - to me was another with bad vocals but add her last name and the right image and she becomes a star and stays in the spotlight because of her antics. At least for now - Nia seems like she would be a positive influence on young girls.

Exactly. Is she the best? No, but she at least has a small base that could grow. Not that this is a great example, but if you don't know the backstory of the 50 Shades series it started as a Twilight fanfiction story. It updates every week for nearly two years before the author pulled to publish it into the 3 book series you can walk into Target and buy. Over those 2 years, a large fanbase was born within the Twilight fandom and with the help of those people buying multiple copies of the first book as a sign of loyalty to the author, the author then used those numbers to open more doors for herself and bam...

50 Shades is by far one of the worst things I have ever read from a grammar, plot, storyline, and everything in between middle. All she did was replace names and minor characteristics from the story that was easily google-able and had people spending $60 on what was previously free---and included in the free was the special outtakes, special chapters written for charity functions within the fandom...etc, etc. 

Despite all the money she's made, she's still a laughing stock among real authors and will likely never be able to recreate what she did; but that base, is what propelled her. If Nia can pick-up any of the remaining Chloe supporters who still watch and become likable, the same could happen for her. It's all about marketing, not necessarily being the best. That is another reason why Maddie may make it or fail---she is not the best dancer, she is not the best singer, and she is not the best actress; but if she has the marketing team that can sell her brand and she continues to follow directions easily, she could have the same long-term success. I just don't think she has the right team or marketing to do it. 

• Love 1

Personally, when it comes to Maddie, the ad nauseam fawning that Abby, and Melissa, have done over her for years, plus giving her all the breaks the others did not get a chance at, makes people not want to root for her. Instead they'd rather see someone like her fall.

Abby, and her Maddie obsession, are the reason I stopped watching for a while.

I'd like to see one of the other girls, any of them without the last name of Ziegler,  break out and become successful, away from this show, and the others.

• Love 2

So far I can't find anyone who says that Abby has actually opened a studio open to the public.  That she/the production company have rented space for filming is all that's been confirmed.  

She could have an actual studio in the works and the people I know just don't know about it, but someone should.  I tend to think it's like the non-existent music video contracts that it's just episode material.   I think Abby would like to think her name is now a big enough draw that she could open a successful dance studio in the LA area, but I expect it would fail fairly quickly.  There are too many creative teachers and choreographers in the area.   The show has become a lot more fiction than fact.  

I was being stalkerish on twitter a few weeks ago - and there was a photo posted of the studio supposedly, but I can't find it anymore. I think what I remember of it mostly was that it showed the front desk and store (sell that Abby Lee Miller Apparel!) area.  It very well could have just been a "prototype" for how she wants it set up though.

Has anyone else noticed that the girls are all dressed in the same colors each week lately?

• Love 1

I've notice for a bit now that the girls either have the same dance outfits on or very similar ones. If Nia does leave and Kendall is the next to be picked on - then in the end we actually do have the Mack and Maddie show - just what Abby wanted!

I have nothing against either girl and have felt bad that both of them have been put in that awkward position. I do think it has gone somewhat to their heads the last year with some of the comments I've seen - but I've lost some interest since Paige, Brooke and Chloe have left and feel that the dances are ones I've seen before - not much new and exciting.

They need to turn the emphasis away from the Zieglers and create new drama. Open the LA studio - have a Jr Elite team there to compete against the Pitts. one. Even that idea may be too late as many of the girls we grew to know and love have either left Abby's or grown up. I fully expect Sarah to make a reappearance soon - to drop the median age.

All that money and time on a PhD wasted

• Love 2