Callbacks in this episode:

• "The Gambler" -- ​Weekend at Bobby's
  • Dean in Sam's room -- the prank wars of Hell House
  • Hustling pool -- probably more than one episode
  • Using the radio to talk to someone in Heaven -- Dark Side of the Moon
  • Bobby loving Tori Spelling -- You Can't Handle the Truth and others
  • "Family don't end with blood." -- No Rest for the Wicked
  • "Kick it in the ass" -- Kim Manners

What did I miss?  (Other than the obvious "Balls!")  

UO, I know, but I love Rowena.  She's totally out to get Crowley now....  But how?

Cas stealing Metatron's grace -- did not see that one coming.

Bobby's going to Heaven's prison, isn't he?  Still wish he would have led a real revolt in Heaven.  Could have been fun.

All in all, not a bad episode, but like a couple of others this season, it felt like a whole bunch of set-up without any payoff.  Not yet, anyway.

• Love 5
(edited)

Dean hustling pool made me irrationally happy.  

Dean screaming SAMMM!!!! was straight out of Dean being in Hell at the end of No Rest for the Wicked. 

THAT WAS NOT OKAY. NOT OKAY. :(...

BAMF Dean kicking those douche hipsters asses with a pool ball was all manner of hot.

So, Dean's eyes flashing black?  Was that ever explained? It wasn't Rowena's doing I don't think. I think it was demon!Dean peeking through.

So the answer was 42.  Nice tip of the hat to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  /feels the need to re-read HHGTG to see what SPN has up its sleeve going forward.

BAMF Castiel is back thank gods.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 5

Man!Hannah was cute. She... he? Still had some eyes for Castiel.

There's one thing in this episode I was very confused by.

The bartender seemed to be gone by the time the fight happened. So... who made Crowley that fancy drink?

• Love 2
(edited)

The bartender seemed to be gone by the time the fight happened. So... who made Crowley that fancy drink?

I was rather bewildered that the entire population of the bar except the three douches had disappeared by the time Dean returned from the bathroom.  What did Rowena do with everyone else?  Dean didn't seem too concerned about it, even though he was hero enough to forsake killing Rowena so she could reverse the spell.

I loved the Dean and Crowley chat at the bar.  Crowley's elaborate umbrella drink was a nice touch.

I dislike Metatron intensely so I was happy Cas and Sam finally outsmarted him.

Edited by Frost
  • Love 4

I don't know how I feel about this episode. I think I need to see it again, but after first viewing I feel uneasy, and I don't like the set up much. My random thoughts...

First I'm not sure I like the implications of the heaven redecoration. It's totally creepy now with all of the little cubicle rooms rather than the "roads" we had in "Dark Side..."

It's too bad they decided to forget about Ash, because they established in that same "Dark Side..." episode in season 5 that he was an expert at breaking into and out of the various heavens. I would've liked a mention of him... they could've just had an explainer that he was on the run from the angels or already in heaven's jail or whatever. For me, it was a detail they shouldn't have forgotten.

I'm not liking where they appear to be taking Sam here... I'm having bad mojo of that damning with faint praise thing they seem to do with him, in my opinion. We have Bobby talking about him being a "good man," he'll make the "right choice," etc., but at the same time they seem to be setting it up that Bobby is giving good advice - maybe Sam should tell Dean what he's doing, Dean will understand - so that when Sam most likely doesn't tell Dean and makes the "wrong" decision, it'll be that much worse and he'll be even more of a screw up by proving Bobby wrong and letting everyone down and / or failing (again). I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this type of trend a few times before, and I'm becoming tired of it. Why can't they just let Sam do something right for once for friggin' sakes. If they are setting Sam up for another epic fail after a few token "he's a good man" platitudes sent his way, I'll be pissed off.

Of course Sam didn't find anything to save Dean. Oh, but at least we got something to further along Castiel's story.

Dean's story was interesting, and I enjoyed that stuff, but I'm getting a little antsy for Sam to have a story... Let me rephrase that a good story, not just another reiteration of Sam ignores everyone's good advice and therefore screws up miserably repeat of season 4.

• Love 7
(edited)

That was pretty good!

I liked basically everything in that bar. They should set the whole series in a bar, I always like all their scenes in bars. Dean was acting like such a dick to those college kids, it was cracking me up. I literally started laughing out loud when he made fun of the kid for being iffy about betting his watch, and somehow pressured him into putting it on the table by making it into some weird macho thing, *while* still (supposedly) hustling them? LOL. How does that work? Anyway, I was hoping that he'd end up screwing up his game and lose to them or at least come close to losing, and get his comeuppance for being such a douchebag! I guess going black-eyes for a second was supposed to be his comeuppance, though.

So the answer was 42.  Nice tip of the hat to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  /feels the need to re-read HHGTG to see what SPN has up its sleeve going forward.

That whole part of Bobby sneaking around Heaven's corridors reminded me SO MUCH of Star Wars.

I was wondering that, too! I kind of missed their whole conversation, because the drink was more interesting. I'm hoping that the bar had some kind of margarita Icee machine that the bartender forgot to turn off when he mysteriously vanished.

Anyway, I don't get Rowena.

And I WANT to like Bobby but eh. So sick of him, tbh.

Question:  why were all the people that Bobby let out of their own private heavens men? Or, not all -- all but one. But still. Was that some kind of (movie or show) reference, too?

Edited by rue721

Dean. This is my headcanon and you can't stop me.

What did I miss?  (Other than the obvious "Balls!")

Crowley's fancy drink with parasol & devil's fork!

Of course Sam didn't find anything to save Dean.

Well Marvatron DID mention Lucifer.  *shudders*

So the answer was 42.  Nice tip of the hat to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I did a fist pump at that.

First I'm not sure I like the implications of the heaven redecoration. It's totally creepy now with all of the little cubicle rooms rather than the "roads" we had in "Dark Side..."

I'm thinking this was Marvatron's idea.  He didn't have the Angel-power (vice manpower...get it?.... Dean worthy pun), to keep the more complex Heaven going so they got this simple version.

• Love 6

Dean. This is my headcanon and you can't stop me.

Crowley's fancy drink with parasol & devil's fork!

LOL OK, now that's my headcanon, too. I can just see Crowley's face while watching Dean make it, too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Question: why were all the people that Bobby let out of their own private heavens men? Or, not all -- all but one. But still. Was that some kind of (movie or show) reference, too?

They were all Robert Singers. Well, I think I saw one Roberto - maybe there was only one Roberta?

• Love 6

Question:  why were all the people that Bobby let out of their own private heavens men? Or, not all -- all but one. But still. Was that some kind of (movie or show) reference, too?

Because they were all named Robert Singer (if you looked at the door labels).  I'm thinking the female was actually originally a Robert Singer who perhaps choose to become a Roberta Singer?  

As to why there was no one in the bar? I presume Rowena chased them out.

Other thoughts:

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the bar scenes. I particularly enjoyed Dean "Dr Phil" and Crowley. Because YES, I love that Bromance.  So THERE.  I don't care if it's wrong.  I don't wanna be right. *puts hands on hips*

So glad Cas & Sam had a good plan to get leverage on Metatron.

Seeing Bobby get potentially hauled away to Heaven jail makes me think that this is part of the reason Sam didn't involve Dean.  Dean wouldn't risk Bobby's Heaven.  Sam, apparently, was willing to do that.  Dean, of course, would risk it if Sam was in trouble... but not for himself.

Yes, AwesomeO, I think they are setting up Sam.

I got misty-eyed during that letter.  

And I thought Dean screwing around with Sam's room was priceless. It's important he take the time to enjoy the little things like pranking his younger brother.

More after a rewatch.

• Love 6
(edited)

It was sort of a Saint Bobby episode, but I didn't start vomiting until the Very Earnest Letter of Fatherly Advice.

Plus, the Bobby stuff was just part of the storyline of Cas and Sam working as a team. Which was actually surprisingly great imo!

ETA:

In short:  Yes, Saint Bobby was present. But he wasn't anywhere near the focus of the episode. And since he and Dean didn't interact, the saccharine was kept to a relative minimum imo. Except for the aforementioned letter, but that scene is only about 30 sec long.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 2

Was this another Saint Bobby episode? If so please tell me how bad it was as I may have to skip it.

Not in my opinion.  Yes, Bobby comes off looking good but the episode was hardly focused on him.  He was a visitor in one of the two storylines.  

• Love 3

heir scenes in bars. Dean was acting like such a dick to those college kids, it was cracking me up. I literally started laughing out loud when he made fun of the kid for being iffy about betting his watch, and somehow pressured him into putting it on the table by making it into some weird macho thing, *while* still (supposedly) hustling them? LOL. How does that work? Anyway, I was hoping that he'd end up screwing up his game and lose to them or at least come close to losing, and get his comeuppance for being such a douchebag! I guess going black-eyes for a second was supposed to be his comeuppance, though.

Oh gods Not me.  I LOVED that Dean raked those smug dbags over the coals. They thought they could mess with Dean???  OH I was fist pumping and victory arming because he had them right where he wanted them. I LOVED every minute of Dean being s1 and s2 Dean with hustling people. Guh sooo much love for that entire bit.

• Love 4

And I thought Dean screwing around with Sam's room was priceless.

When did that happen?  I heard Sam warn Dean to stay out of his room, so I was expecting something to happen, but apparently I completely missed it!  Did the show know this was going to air on April Fool's Day?

I hated the Heaven redesign as well.  Wouldn't Bobby be with his wife?  Having people locked away in individual cells as their Heavenly reward?  It's basically like they're 'happy' because they don't know any better - like an eternal drug high.  Ugh.

• Love 4

Yes, AwesomeO, I think they are setting up Sam.

If that's the case, and it goes down as badly as I'm afraid it will, I might finally have to give up on this show - which is saying something, since I've watched in real time since episode #1.

Well Marvatron DID mention Lucifer.  *shudders*

Except didn't he say that he lied and it was therefore all a red herring? It would be great, in my opinion, if Sam had to somehow get the information from Lucifer and face his fears there, but I can't imagine they would let Sam have a story like that.

If that's the case, and it goes down as badly as I'm afraid it will, I might finally have to give up on this show - which is saying something, since I've watched in real time since episode #1.

Except didn't he say that he lied and it was therefore all a red herring? It would be great, in my opinion, if Sam had to somehow get the information from Lucifer and face his fears there, but I can't imagine they would let Sam have a story like that.

Metatron said he lied about knowing how to get rid of it, but it coming from Lucifer is not a lie because Cain said Lucifer gave it to him. Rowena thinks it's a curse but she doesn't know everything about it. She's making an assumption that it's a curse.

When did that happen?  I heard Sam warn Dean to stay out of his room, so I was expecting something to happen, but apparently I completely missed it!  Did the show know this was going to air on April Fool's Day?

I hated the Heaven redesign as well.  Wouldn't Bobby be with his wife?  Having people locked away in individual cells as their Heavenly reward?  It's basically like they're 'happy' because they don't know any better - like an eternal drug high.  Ugh.

What Dean did in Sam's room:

- Sat on his pillow...didn't technically fart on it, but I'm keeping that as potentially headcanon

- put tape on his phone so he would pick it up and not answer

- apparently rubbed his toothbrush in his armpit (!)

...all while talking to Rudy on the phone.

What else did I miss?

• Love 1
(edited)

So, it IS still possible to have engaging episodes where I recognize everyone and get tense for those two! The initial scene broke my heart with Sam running into Dean's room with a drawn gun. So, he IS probably thinking about Abel's fate.

Loved when they took Metatron's grace. So did not see that coming. And neither did Metratron. Hah! Man, I hate that hobbit!

Why is Crowley drinking fancy umbrella drinks? Up until this season, he's been all about the fancy Scotch!

How come Sam is driving this abomination when they have a garage full of classic cars?

So, really those were my only two complaints.

Loved when Rowena's spell didn't work.

Actually, one more complaint: The secret keeping really doesn't make sense. Just because Dean gives up doesn't mean Sam needs to come up with stupid lame excuses about French movies about mimes.

Dean actually believed that? Sam, just tell him what you are doing, I mean what is Dean going to do about it?

I really hope Crowley is back to his old self now.

Why all this talk about Sam going dark again? I don't see it. So, far, he's been fairly smart about things.

I miss Bobby.

- apparently rubbed his toothbrush in his armpit (!)

That was Sam's? I was wondering what the hell he was doing. What is he twelve?

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 3

I just plain enjoyed this.  It's one of the rare times this season when it didn't feel like inserting Castiel and Crowley slowed things down.  I also liked both Sam and Dean getting to be competent, tough guys; and how Dean was able to talk kind of compassionately to Crowley.   And thank you, Crowley, for kicking Rowena out.  Long overdue.   At this point, I don't care if they're setting Sam up; I'm just glad to see him actively doing something.

One more callback, although I don't remember which episode it was in - when the angels were calling for reinforcements because the Bobby Singers were 'surly'.  I think it was when Bobby summoned Crowley to try to get his soul back, and Crowley was mocking him.

• Love 3

Why is Crowley drinking fancy umbrella drinks? Up until this season, he's been all about the fancy Scotch!

Crowley developed a fondness for them during his Dean Bromance phase.

If I were Dean, I'd have splashed a little holy water on my hand...just to be sure.

If I were Sam, I'd have blessed the water in the MOL intake to make it always be Holy Water...just to be sure.

• Love 1

Oh gods Not me.  I LOVED that Dean raked those smug dbags over the coals. They thought they could mess with Dean???  OH I was fist pumping and victory arming because he had them right where he wanted them. I LOVED every minute of Dean being s1 and s2 Dean with hustling people. Guh sooo much love for that entire bit.

LOL he was cracking me up. That's maybe the best I've liked Dean in years. I loved how he gave no fucks about taking that kid's watch. Such an asshole! Seriously, how was he embarrassing/pressuring the kid into betting it WHILE pretending to be a doofus who the kid couldn't possibly lose to? All that made me laugh. But someone acting THAT cocky is just BEGGING to whiff a shot. Oh well, I guess then he couldn't have had the Man In the Mirror scene in the bar's bathroom afterward.

"This is the scribe of God? He looks like a Fraggle." made me giggle.

That made me laugh, too. Even Metatron's pathetic "I'm taking that as a compliment! That was a quality program!" was funny.

I just plain enjoyed this.  It's one of the rare times this season when it didn't feel like inserting Castiel and Crowley slowed things down.  I also liked both Sam and Dean getting to be competent, tough guys; and how Dean was able to talk kind of compassionately to Crowley.

Totally agree. I was liking both Sam/Cas and Dean/Crowley.

There was also a creepiness to the episode that I liked. And it was darker -- literally darker, the lighting was dimmer. The seance, the bar, the playground at night, etc. Overall, I liked the tone of this episode better than usual. The guys seemed tougher, even Rowena seemed scarier.

Though what was with her freak out at the end of the episode? Crowley was kind of irritating me, but I can believe he's got something up his sleeve w/r/t the Winchesters and also that it'll be a cold day in hell before he tells Rowena what he's thinking anyway. Though some of his lines were still silly, like the one about whether Rowena would have come back if he weren't King of Hell. Uh, no. That's why she didn't come back until you became King of Hell, dumbass. Anyway, though. I wasn't understanding her perspective. And now she's so angry that he's angry that she's going to try and tear him down? But she's supposedly so angry that he's angry because she genuinely loves him? None of that makes sense to me.

• Love 1
(edited)

Though some of his lines were still silly, like the one about whether Rowena would have come back if he weren't King of Hell. Uh, no. That's why she didn't come back until you became King of Hell, dumbass. Anyway, though. I wasn't understanding her perspective. And now she's so angry that he's angry that she's going to try and tear him down? But she's supposedly so angry that he's angry because she genuinely loves him? None of that makes sense to me.

Sadly, I think Dean was right -- she was just using Crowley.  And there is no love for him as a person, just a love for his power.  I think her tears were frustration, not because she remotely cares about him.  She's got a "victim mentality" to her -- like people have wronged her.  So she thinks Crowley has wronged her by choosing the Winchesters over her.  But of course she's a snake in the grass and Dean was right.  Family is not defined by blood either.  

She'll seek revenge for this perceived wrong, all the while not really giving a shit about Crowley the person/demon.  

Edited by SueB
  • Love 6
(edited)

But she's supposedly so angry that he's angry

I think she's angry that she didn't get out of him what she wanted.

Right now, she wanted into the MoL bunker to get the coven secrets back. And that way goes through the Winchesters. So, she used Crowley's apparent infatuation with them to claim she is helping him to become a proper King of Hell by killing them while what she really wants is access to the bunker.

ETA: Or what SueB said in better English.

Crowley's line about keeping enemies closer, I hope it was about the Winchesters, not about Rowena. So, he better have a plan to get back at Dean eventually even though he uses him as a therapist in the meantime.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 6

At this point, I don't care if they're setting Sam up; I'm just glad to see him actively doing something.

Well sort of. Sam was mostly the muscle back up in the actual implementation, since it was Bobby and Castiel who broke Metatron out... who didn't really turn out to be helpful for what they were trying to do anyway. So Sam is doing something, but it's still mostly a lot of effort and no reward which again will cause him to keep his mouth shut even more with the secrets and lies, which will likely somehow bite him in the ass and / or make him look like a fool. Miles vary there.

Well sort of. Sam was mostly the muscle back up in the actual implementation, since it was Bobby and Castiel who broke Metatron out... who didn't really turn out to be helpful for what they were trying to do anyway. So Sam is doing something, but it's still mostly a lot of effort and no reward which again will cause him to keep his mouth shut even more with the secrets and lies, which will likely somehow bite him in the ass and / or make him look like a fool. Miles vary there.

But it was Sam's idea and it was a great idea.  The fact that it didn't yield the entire result he was hoping for shouldn't count against him at all. He couldn't have known that Metatron was lying about what he told Dean.  I have zero issues with Sam here other than lying to Dean.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think she's angry that she didn't get out of him what she wanted.

Right now, she wanted into the MoL bunker to get the coven secrets back. And that way goes through the Winchesters. So, she used Crowley's apparent infatuation with them to claim she is helping him to become a proper King of Hell by killing them while what she really wants is access to the bunker.

Ahhhh OK, I forgot all about the bunker and her whole coven ~thing.~ Thanks, that makes sense now.

But why was she trying to kill Dean then? Why didn't she just follow him into the bunker? Or even get him to capture her and take her into the bunker (maybe that's what she was trying to get him to do when she told him that he couldn't kill her because he was a hero)? Or even just get him to capture her and take her into the bunker and then have Crowley come rescue her, since she decided to go with the "damsel in distress" act anyway?

Or I guess the magic spell with the symbols all over her body could have been some way of attaching some kind of...tracker (?) or portal (?!) to Dean, that will now allow her to get into the bunker (as long as he's in the bunker)?

ETA:

Do you think that the Mark was tempting to her? If all she knows about it is that she can do something similar through witchcraft (or so she thinks, anyway, since she thinks it's just a curse), and that it makes the bearer immortal, you'd think it would seem pretty appealing. Like maybe she'd want to make her own and curse Crowley with it, or she'd want to take on the Mark of Cain in order to be immortal/powerful/whatever herself (thinking that, as a witch who can control curses, she'd be able to control it).

But then again, apparently she's already immortal somehow? Jeez, I missed so much "world building" stuff this season. The show has probably answered all these questions already. But it's "in one ear and out the other," apparently.

Edited by rue721

Ahhhh OK, I forgot all about the bunker and her whole coven ~thing.~ Thanks, that makes sense now.

But why was she trying to kill Dean then? Why didn't she just follow him into the bunker? Or even get him to capture her and take her into the bunker (maybe that's what she was trying to get him to do when she told him that he couldn't kill her because he was a hero)? Or even just get him to capture her and take her into the bunker and then have Crowley come rescue her, since she decided to go with the "damsel in distress" act anyway?

Or I guess the magic spell with the symbols all over her body could have been some way of attaching some kind of...tracker (?) or portal (?!) to Dean, that will now allow her to get into the bunker (as long as he's in the bunker)?

ETA:

Do you think that the Mark was tempting to her? If all she knows about it is that she can do something similar through witchcraft (or so she thinks, anyway, since she thinks it's just a curse), and that it makes the bearer immortal, you'd think it would seem pretty appealing. Like maybe she'd want to make her own and curse Crowley with it, or she'd want to take on the Mark of Cain in order to be immortal/powerful/whatever herself (thinking that, as a witch who can control curses, she'd be able to control it).

But then again, apparently she's already immortal somehow? Jeez, I missed so much "world building" stuff this season. The show has probably answered all these questions already. But it's "in one ear and out the other," apparently.

She just can't willy nilly get the Mark though. Remember Cain said it can only be passed to one who is worthy and it has to passed on by the bearer. I don't think she can just take it.  She might have been trying to kill Dean and take the Mark but IMO that just tells me she really doesn't know as much as she likes to think.

• Love 1

But it was Sam's idea and it was a great idea.  The fact that it didn't yield the entire result he was hoping for shouldn't count against him at all. He couldn't have known that Metatron was lying about what he told Dean.  I have zero issues with Sam here other than lying to Dean.

Oh, I wouldn't have issues either.... except for I think that the lying part is the only part that's going to matter in the end. And it wouldn't even be so bad except for all the Bobby letter stuff added in just to put a big neon sign on the "lying is a bad idea" part. It's not bad enough that Sam knows this... now he has to get the Bobby warning - similar to Pamela's warnings - so that he'll look even worse when / if he keeps quiet and it all blows up. I guess Sam just can't be wrong, he has to be really, really wrong and not listen to anyone else's advice. Again. Some more.

And that's my issue here that's making it so I can't not feel uneasy about what's coming next. I'm hoping that I'm entirely wrong here and that Sam tells Dean everything - and not at the last minute when it's entirely too late.

I apologize for focusing on this so much and being negative about it. I guess I'm just tired of Sam the perpetual screw up. How am I supposed to fault Dean having no faith in anybody being able to help him when in fact... well nobody can really help him, especially his screw up of a brother who he constantly has to "pull his ass out of the fire."

• Love 3
(edited)

Although the two stories seemed like a lot to cram in, this was filled with love.  I got a kick out of Crowley's umbrella and pitchfork drink and wish I could see the crew handing it to him and cracking up.  I am so glad he and Dean weren't at each other's throats.  I smelled the beginning of a beautiful friendship in that heart to heart.  Appreciated Anna's little flirtation with Cas while occupying a male vessel.  Don't like the cubicle heaven either, but we saw that it was much like a business suite when what's-her-name (Naomi!) was in charge.  Also, back when Dean and Sam went to heaven it was explained that pretty much everyone is alone in his own heaven matrix.  Dean and Sam were together because they are soul mates.  Made me wonder whether John and Mary would be together or not. Lastly, I loved how Sam and Cas got the drop on Marv.  Cas should have gulped down his grace though rather than taking a chance that his prisoner will overpower him.  Cas always, I mean ALWAYS, gets into trouble when he goes his own way.  I hope he's okay.

Edited by Goldmoon
  • Love 2
(edited)

that it was much like a business suite when what's-her-name (Naomi!) was in charge

I pretty much thought that Naomi had redecorated Heaven. Or rather Carver in season 8.

I smelled the beginning of a beautiful friendship in that heart to heart.

God, I hope not. I haven't forgiven him for Mrs Tran, Sarah, and, pretty much all the evil he has done. Just. No.

Cas should have gulped down his grace though rather than taking a chance that his prisoner will overpower him.

I think that's pretty unlikely since Marvatron is pretty much human while Cas has his angel powers mostly. Although I am pretty sure he might get up to no good on that road trip, if this is followed up. I think Cas will want to take Marv back to his cell eventually. Including grace.

I really hope this will go to Lucifer's cage eventually. I kinda miss him too. Sam-in-white-suit-Lucifer or Marc-Pellegrino-Lucifer.

I also hope that Marv's line about the source might not be all that much of a red herring, he just doesn't know what it means or that it means anything. Or he doesn't want anyone near that cage. He did say something about it being old Magic, God magic and Lucifer magic, so, there might have been something on the tablets, just nothing specific.

ETA: Was that a single man tear on Sam's face at the end?

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 3
(edited)

I really liked this episode--after the last two blah ones it was nice to see something entertaining.  Just a few thoughts...

42!  Hee!

Fake drunk Dean is adorable.  I could have watched an entire hour of him hustling pool.  And the way he mushed his hair up to look younger/douchier/drunker--whatever he was going for it was great.

I have to admit it took me way too long to realize Dean was screwing around in Sam’s room.  I thought he was scratching himself with his own toothbrush and was extremely disgusted before I realized what the hell he was doing.  Then of course I was no longer disgusted and instead laughing my ass off.

Bobby and Sam’s talk and the letter at the end both made me tear up.  I have a huge soft spot for Jim Beaver and while I had gotten a little tired of Bobby by the time he was a ghost, I was okay with him in this one.  That being said, it would have been nice if they could have brought John back instead.

Sam’s hair didn’t bother me which is a miracle.  Either it's looking better or I've grown used to it.

The flash of Demon!Dean freaked me out momentarily--that was really nicely shot and acted.

Dean and Crowley’s talk was nice too—I don’t know why but I didn’t mind the “Dr. Phil” talk.

And finally, did Castiel have a new tie?

Edited by cassandle
  • Love 2

Yeah, an ep that was worthy!

I miss Bobby and I really enjoyed him in this one.  Yes, I can miss him, we don't see him that much and I liked what he did.

I can agree with a lot that others have said, Loved Dean and Crowley.

Dean is the smart one in  explaining human stuff to the non humans.

I thought Dean being a bit of a Dick in the pool game was to show that Demon Dean isn't gone and the boys did ask for the ass kicking.  Just that he went a bit over the top and I think that was to let us know, oh no,  Demon Dean is trying to take over.

The pacing worked and some surprises along the way...which is nice.

Sam may be set up for a fall but to me it is the parallel with Dean in season 8 that they love to do so much.  However not upset with Sam on this one.

One to rewatch...and I loved Crowley with Dean, Sam and Cass and I hope they can find another way to bring Bobby back.  This story felt organic to having him, and I thought it showed he loved both his boys.

• Love 5

So, since they have figured out how to break a soul out of Heaven, surely, this sets up them breaking John and Mary out of Heaven to help Dean....right???

But how would that work? I wouldn't want it to be a deus ex machina way.

(edited)

Interesting about the director of the episode. Youngish Guy...Rashad Ernesto Green. Looks like he had a film at Sundance in 2011.  I would have figured it was a Guy Bee or Phil Sgriccia episode as it had that old skool SPN feel to it.  Well done, young director.  Well done.

http://www.mialmafilms.com/aboutdirector.html

#demon!Deanlurks.....

just sayin' :):)

Edited by catrox14

What do you mean? How would it be a deus ex machina? 

Because I can't think of a way that John or Mary would know anything about how to defeat the mark without it coming out of left field... unless either of them was still in hell, and I wouldn't like that idea. To me it would make more sense for Sam and Dean to find a solution as they are both associated with the main players - Cain and Lucifer. Also both Mary and John have done a sacrifice to save Dean and/or Sam stint, so for me it would be retreading old ground.

But I'm willing to hear out an interesting idea that wouldn't be coming out of left field. I guess that's what I was asking. How would that work, but still be organic to the story?

But...but why are the brothers' bedrooms so far away from each other??

I don't think Sam would have been able to hear Dean screaming from so far away.

"Asstiel" HA!! That's a first.

It was hard to tell what the hell Dean was doing in that room until Sam shows up and you see the toothbrush in the glass.

I knew right away what Dean was doing when he was messing with Sam's pillow. 

Yeah I really thought Sam and Dean's rooms were closer together last year but my new head!canon is that Sam moved rooms last season post-Gadreel possession .

I think Metadouche called Cas "Asstiel" in s9

• Love 1