Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: Best Foot Forward

SHOW YOUR WORK, ADAM.

Somehow I could see Henry getting to a point where something terrible happens and he wants to die (or he's simply ready to die, for whatever reason) and he goes to try the gun... and it doesn't kill him. And then Adam's all, oh, my bad, I thought that might work! Back to the drawing board...

*GRIN*

ETA: I should confess that I'm one of those people who can't get lost.  I was in my teens before I found out that folks can honestly not know where they are, and I just ... can't.

I wish I had that ability! If I'm not familiar with the area, I can get so turned around and confused, looking at a map is sometimes confusing to me (I must not be visual in that way) and north/south/east/west sort of directions don't help me whatsoever. I need "turn left on Roosevelt Street, go about a mile down the road, turn right on Main Street" and landmark details like "you'll see a McDonald's on the corner" or "if you hit this street name, you've gone too far" are always very helpful to me.

• Love 4
Obviously, my children did not inherit my ability.

Too early to tell with my daughter but her mom gets lost in our front yard so fingers crossed on that.  I think this brings up to about half a dozen people like us I've met, although I've probably met more and didn't know it cuz this doesn't come up in conversation much.  A very useful superpower and I think it may be one of the reasons I enjoy wandering - since I always know my way back, I'm not too bothered about going where I've never been.  Also not crazy about organized tours (I can find my own way, thanks) which is probably why Issac's Paris plan didn't exactly float my boat.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 3
Somehow I could see Henry getting to a point where something terrible happens and he wants to die (or he's simply ready to die, for whatever reason) and he goes to try the gun... and it doesn't kill him. And then Adam's all, oh, my bad, I thought that might work!

I would think Adam would be the one to shoot Henry, just to find out if his theory is correct.  But it won't be.  And we may never find out - last I heard this show was 'unlikely to be renewed'.  Too bad.  It's a tad fluffy and uneven but I'm a sucker for immortal-themed shows.  

I think Adam's guess that the weapons can kill them permanently is somewhat just a gut feeling (like he said he felt differently when he had the weapon in his possession). I think it also may just be wishful thinking. He wants to believe that there is someway out of what is probably a nightmare for him. So, he latched on to, oh, maybe there was something special about the weapons that killed us the first time... So, I don't think there has to be any logic behind it.

As for getting lost, I have a terrible sense of direction and can't remember my way back in places where I'm not familiar. I don't get out much though. I can memorize specific paths that I take frequently, but its not easy when I'm in a new place. I really really hate those road systems where they have one way roads and you can't go back the way you came.

I do agree that it was a little hamfisted to show Isaac as being such a control freak that he had every moment planned out.

And or some reason I just remembered an episode of Forever Knight where some guy was bugging a woman and one of the vampires walked up and said "Get lost!" but used his special vampire hypnosis thing. The woman said "Is he going to be ok?" "Yeah, he just won't know where he is".

• Love 2

Even if you quibble with the somewhat "unofficial" title bestowed on Alicia Alonso as Assoluta, you can hardly say she wasn't a Prima Ballerina.

When they said something about the missing dancer becoming the first Prima of Cuban descent, I actually said aloud "Hell to the no!  That's Alicia Alonso."

• Love 4

I hope before this show ends we get to find out when and how Abe found out Henry was immortal. I'm more interested in that than finding out what happened to his mother.

Yeah, that is a good thought. I mean, Henry being immortal could have created some problems when Abe was growing up. Did they just tell him from an early age "hey, your father can't age but he's the only person-- he's special" and maybe Abe might have hoped or thought that somehow he could be immortal too? Or did they wait until he was much older to break it to him and he started asking why his Dad never looked older? Inquiring minds want to know!

I hate to say it but I really hope this show goes the way of the DoDo bird.

Jo! I don't blame her over canceling the trip. The words "I have every minute of every day planned..." Not for me. She obviously likes spontaneity. And how ironic that stiff, staid, proper Henry is the "spontaneous" one. Love that. Also, Isaac was trying way to hard to impress her. Jo is not impressed by money and showiness - I so love her/respect her for that!.

To me, Jo is an idiot.  Look, I get up at 5am every morning; have an hour commute to a job that I don't hate, but aren't in love with.  If I met a millionaire who wanted to take me to Paris, or better yet, London, I don't give a fuck if he has every moment planned, in fact I like it that way.  To me Jo is too stupid to live.  Get rid of her and the show, please.  I hate shows that make women seem stupid.  Isaac really likes her; Jo likes Henry, but Henry's never said anything to her.....sooo, of course Jo wants Henry.  Please show, a smart woman in love with unavailable man.  Stupid, just stupid.  

Edited by Neurochick

Why is it stupid for a woman to decide not to go on a trip if you don't really like the guy or aren't fully comfortable with him? I wouldn't want to go all the way out of the country with someone I didn't fully trust. I don't care how much money he has or how fancy the trip sounds. If I don't know him well enough, I'm not going. I see that as smart. Maybe not fully spontaneous, but smart about protecting oneself.

Jo doesn't know or necessarily see Henry as unavailable. Why would she? She doesn't know his history or that he'd been searching for Abigail. So to her maybe she just sees an attractive, smart, odd guy she gets along and works well with. She might see him as private, but she also sees herself that way, and up until recently she'd pretty much told everyone around her that she was still mourning her husband and not anywhere near ready to start dating again. Therefore I can see her finally taking a look around now that she's inching back into the world again. She's not been stupid at all in my view.

And I think if the writers showed Henry as being unavailable or mourning Abigail, they would also write Jo as smart enough to see it and simply continue to be his friend. I don't think she's been written as stupid at all.

• Love 6

I really hope this show goes the way of the DoDo bird.

Jo is too stupid to live.  Get rid of her and the show, please.

You'll undoubtedly get your wish very soon.

And if it isn't cancelled, you can always just get rid of it by changing the channel or something.

Really, as much as I might complain about the contrivances of the show, your post makes no sense at all to me.

• Love 2

I have no problem with Jo both (1) deciding not to go to Paris with Isaac and (2) having feelings for Henry. She has gone out with Isaac a handful of times but she has spent a lot of time with Henry over the past few months so she knows Henry much better than she knows Isaac. And aside from the conversation Jo and Isaac had about whether she was ready to move on, I haven't seen a lot of emotional intimacy between them so it's not like they have this deep connection. They barely know each other.

Choosing not to go to a foreign country with Isaac doesn't make Jo stupid. If anything, I respect her for not using him to get a free trip. She realized that she wasn't going to have fun on a micromanaged trip so she'd rather not go than go and feel frustrated the entire time. Even if she somehow got married to Isaac or some other billionaire, I don't think she would give up her job because she loves what she does. I think she would resent any husband who expected her to quit being a cop.

• Love 4

Isaac strikes me as the kind of guy who chases the Shiny until he catches it, and then he looks for a new Shiny.  That kind of micro-management can make a guy a billionaire, but he's just way too high maintenance for anything approaching a relationship of equals.  And I am a die-hard romantic, who thinks equality is one of the most important components.

• Love 3