Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling

If I were Fox, I'd consider another option:

Since a very large percentage of viewership is time-shifted anyway, I'd consider another time slot.  Usually Fridays are considered terrible, but DVRs on season pass will help.  This would be especially likely if there were some sort of horror-themed holiday coming up on a weekend this year.

The other issue is what else Fox has--but i would expect a time slot change before total cancellation. 

There are only 8 more episodes left.  I doubt they have anything to replace Tuesday nights and Friday they have just be showing repeats.  

Well usually a time change on a new series with dipping numbers is like trying to climb uphill with weights;

The problem is all of FOX's lineup sans EMPIRE has no lead in shows that SQ can piggybank on.

I do think FOX will air the 13 episodes filmed, however shifting to Friday's in the expectation of accepted lowered ratings or assuming that most of the actual audience is time shifting isn't a recipe for surviving beyond the first season. Like I said they have to hold the line even at a shaky 1.0 because fractional ratings won't be saved by spin on social media buzz.

The only decent FOX slot possible is Wednesday's at 8.00 PM for obvious reasons, but SQ is not really an 8 PM type show.

Edited by caracas1914

Fox season lows so far in 18-49:
Empire a bit above 4.612
Gotham 1.499
Simpsons 1.498
Rosewood ~1.421
Family Guy 1.359
Bones 1.299
Brooklyn 1.291
Last Man 1.158

Grandfathered 0.989
Sleepy Hollow 0.983
Scream Queens 0.953
Bob’s Burgers 0.940
Grinder 0.892
Minority Report 0.695

+7 Number for episode that aired Sept  29.

ADULTS 18-49 - TOTAL INCREASE

Show                              Net     L+SD       L+7      7-Day Increase      7-Day % Increase

SCREAM QUEENS      FOX      1.4         2.7                1.3                         93%

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/10/19/broadcast-live-7-ratings-week-2-the-blacklist-premiere-joins-empire-and-blindspot-atop-the-charts/479111/

So rating stayed  pretty steady... good thing actually considering  the layoff last week.

Fast Nationals: 1.0 in A18-49 | 2.442 million viewers for #ScreamQueens. (Last episode did a 1.0 with 2.588M in the finals)

It didn't get worse but "stabilizing " at 1.0 is not good. It needs to rise otherwise its chances of being renewed are very iffy.

My point was about it not losing after a break .  Never said a 1.0 was good.

Thanks tom87. I only asked cause a lot of places are saying Season 1 run is 2015-2016. And I was hoping I would havent to wait until the new year to find out the answers to the mystery. As that felt very dragged out.

Not watching the show but am curious, when did it change from being a 15 episode season to a 13 episode season?  Was it before up-fronts or before production for the full season began?  I ask because I didn't know it changed.  

Not watching the show but am curious, when did it change from being a 15 episode season to a 13 episode season?  Was it before up-fronts or before production for the full season began?  I ask because I didn't know it changed.  

I think only first reports had it 15.   Not sure when it changed officially  but 13 always seem to make more sense to fit in to show within  in the fall season.

Eh, live/same day ratings are a thing of the past. I don't know many people who actually sit and watch programs as they air anymore. Even my technologically-impaired parents DVR stuff so they can watch the next day without commercials.

• Love 3

Of course it's What the advertisers use as a measuring gauge for ads revenue is what really matters. Doubt if they release that data to the public.

Having said that, if same day/live ratings were totally irrelevant even now networks wouldn't use them at all in determining shows to be renewed or cancelled.

Edited by caracas1914

They are using them less and less, or at least they're accepting lower and lower numbers! There are some shows hanging around this year that would have been toast in previous years. 

I've always hated the Nielsen system, though, so getting rid of any aspect of it makes me happy.

They are using them less and less, or at least they're accepting lower and lower numbers! There are some shows hanging around this year that would have been toast in previous years.

Oh I agree that there are less shows cancelled out right this season, the rub is whether they will be renewed for a second season. Last year the Network threshold seemed to be a season average of 1.2. ("Crime story", "the Mysteries of Laura"). The 3rd season of the Mindy Project averaged 1.0 and was not renewed by FOX ( but was picked up by HULU). If FOX renews shows with a season average lower than that, say 1.1, 1.0 or even .9 sure, I would agree that it would indicate they really don't give much credence anymore for same day/live viewing.

The cynic in me thinks the reason shows aren't getting cancelled outright is that the Networks don't have much ready in the pipeline to replace them. In the case of FOX they'd have to revamp up to half or more of their schedule.

Admittedly all networks' ratings are down.

The problem for FOX goes beyond the relevance/non relevance of same day/live ratings, it's that in proportion to the other 3 major networks (ABC, CBS and NBC) by most measuring barometers its shows are still trailing in overall numbers.

Lower rated shows even with increased + 3/ +7 numbers are usually still the lowest rated shows overall.

Edited by caracas1914

Fox talking about ratings again...

Fox’s horror-comedy series Scream Queens, for example, has a modest overall audience of barely 4 million viewers who watch via traditional TV or on a DVR. But it’s also the only show on the network (other than megahit Empire) currently averaging over 1 million viewers on each of these four platforms: Live TV, DVRs, video on demand (VOD), and streaming. Its overperformance on those latter two nearly doubles its overall audience to just under 8 million. Scream Queens also does amazingly well with young, rich female viewers under the age of 35, a demographic in demand among advertisers.

With Scream Queens, “We’re still talking to a very broad and sizable audience,” Fox TV Group chairman and CEO Dana Walden tells Vulture. “The challenge for us, and what we’re trying to process, is where different viewers are consuming our content …The good news is, when you look at viewership over a 30-day period, a lot of people are watching our shows.”

Just has me wondering would they be talking about SQ at all if it wasn't still  an option  for renewal??

http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/tv-ratings-why-more-of-your-favorite-tv-shows-might-survive.html?mid=twitter-share-vulture

Edited by pete

Scream Queens: Scary finale ratings might not hurt season 2 odds

Scream Queens wrapped its season pretty much flat in the overnight ratings.

Tuesday night’s two-hour closer had only 2.6 million viewers and a 0.9 among adults 18-49.

Writer-producer Ryan Murphy’s latest was one of the most high-profile shows going into the fall, then shocked insiders by delivering modest numbers.

Fox has not yet renewed Scream Queens for second season, and ordinarily those overnights would doom the show. Yet Scream Queens’ season 2 prospects are promising. When including DVR playback, the campy horror drama’s total viewers hit 5.1 million and its demo rating jumps to a 2.2. Plus the show gains an additional audience of 2.1 million outside of the Nielsen-measured 7-day window (mainly from streaming on Hulu and Fox Now).

Other considerations are the Fox and Murphy (who also does American Horror Story for Fox’s sister network FX) have a strong relationship, plus the plan is to creatively reboot for season two, which would give the drama a second chance to launch with a new story and cast (a summer camp theme was pitched to Fox early on, but we’re hearing that concept might shift into something different). That the rest of Fox’s freshman lineup isn’t doing so hot either (Minority Report…) helps Scream Queens too.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/09/scream-queens-finale-rating

Edited by tom87

Though a lot of what EW said is logical to me, the big question is how much advertisers care about +7/DVR ratings.  Though there are media buyers who are important, "advertisers" aren't one block group; they might have different opinions.

Another issue is how badly Ryan Murphy wants another season--which in turn depends on a lot of other factors, though he has seemed to indicate he wants one.

Though a lot of what EW said is logical to me, the big question is how much advertisers care about +7/DVR ratings.  Though there are media buyers who are important, "advertisers" aren't one block group; they might have different opinions.

Another issue is how badly Ryan Murphy wants another season--which in turn depends on a lot of other factors, though he has seemed to indicate he wants one.

7 day ratings must mean something are why even collect them?

There was a blind item this morning on the radio about a television show that had finished a season to abysmal ratings that would be getting a second season.

...This has to be Scream Queens, right?  (I just can't think of another show that "finished" and had bad ratings...)

Generally, blind items are an opportunity for the media to be extra bitchy while indirectly calling people out or being able to play dumb if needed.

The other side is that they can be used to talk about things when sources won't go on the record.

But yeah, I don't know why they would need to BI that bit. Unless the studio is on the fence about renewing and is trying to gauge interest.

Edited by Hamatron

Sometimes. Other times they are real and the publication will reveal things a few months later when they're sure they won't get sued. The Charlie Sheen HIV thing was a blind item long ago.

Edited by Hamatron

I am  sure they might stumble onto something once in a blue moon but 90% or more seems like crap.  I have seen some that are straight up fan conspiracy theories/fiction..  Or I have seen some that say they are solved and then that info is never confirmed anywhere.

Anyway news relevant to this thread...

Of the network shows that aired during the November 23-29 broadcast week, only FOX’s “Scream Queens” matched the adults 18-49 lift. No show enjoyed as great a gain in total viewership.

On a Live+7 basis, the 11/24 “Scream Queens” drew a 1.8 adults 18-49 rating and 3.948 million total viewers. Those episodes top the live+same-day performance (0.8, 1.983 million), which ranked as a series low, by 125% and 99%, respectively.

The “Scream Queens” episode, which ties for greatest gainer in adults 18-49, is the second-greatest percentage gainer in total viewership.

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2015/12/14/live-7-ratings-quantico-scream-queens-post-biggest-weekly-gains/

It seems that there are several audiences gauges that the Networks shuffle and do sleight of hand with.

Don't advertisers use a formula of C+ viewers, aka those that actually see commercials?

So while the +3 , + 7 and additional HULU, DVR audience increase is interesting I'm not sure the advertisers use those figures for the Major Networks, which is still primarily AD driven, as opposed to cable (subscription based)..

It seems until now that live ratings still impact more than somewhat Advertiser's rates, though I admit I don't know what the actual formula is.

Scream Queens may be a test case of how low FOX and their advertisers will tolerate low same day/live ratings , but the public protestations that they don't matter at all is IMO PR bullshit until we actually see shows like SQ renewed. Some low rated but critical acclaim/awards fodder shows have survived but since SQ doesn't seem to have that particular  cachet , IMO it's survival hinges on the relevance of these other audience measures shifting the advertisers' formula for ad rates.

It could happen, but I wonder what the promotional and production budget would be for a show that only achieved a .9 in its finale and the second half ot it's season.

Edited by caracas1914

It is set in a hospital not a insane asylum.

It does have a similarity with AHS' pattern: both 1st seasons took place in a house, for SQ it was a sorority house.

As asylum is a mental hospital, so that's where I'm getting my similarities from and Ryan Murphy's previous series.

Well Scream Queens holds one dubious record and is going for another:

With 3 consecutive .5 demo ratings it is the lowerst rated series this fall from all the 4 major networks.

IF it maintains that consistent .5 ratings for its last 2 episodes, it will then be the lowest rated fall series  of originally aired episodes of all time.   As in EVER.

• Love 1