Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling

So they did 2 episodes the past few weeks and are not scheduled to return ot filming until July.

Wonder if that was always the plan or did the actors involved already have other commitments?

One theory I saw was just to have a couple of episodes done for  up fronts in May.

So they did 2 episodes the past few weeks and are not scheduled to return ot filming until July.

Wonder if that was always the plan or did the actors involved already have other commitments?

One theory I saw was just to have a couple of episodes done for  up fronts in May.

That aligns with most Fall show production schedules so it may have always been the plan?  Although I guess production schedules are becoming less and less normal.  And this is a straight to order series rather than a true Pilot.  But, it's also pretty normal to have something ready for a up fronts so that they can sell advertising.  

This show is NOT starting out good:

Scream Queens half-hours:

8PM: 1.7A18-49, 4.45M viewers
8:30PM: 1.6, 3.96M
9PM: 1.6, 3.86M
9:30PM: 1.6, 3.75M

Also a lot of the reviews are not good either. I think most people are OVER Ryan Murphy's form of humor (if that is what you can call it). This show got young, fairly big name celebrities and relied on that to push the show instead of a script. Oh well I think I would have been surprised if it had MORE viewers this is about what I was expecting. Lots of promo nothing but filler afterwards. Oh well I am one of those people that is OVER Ryan Murphy, Brad and Ian.

Edited by Ann Mack

Wow, with all of the non-stop promoting Fox did with this show, I'm kind of stunned the opening number of viewers wasn't higher. I expected it to drop off, but it didn't even start that strong.

I think all the promoting is part of the problem. I was sick of hearing about the show & seeing the same damn scenes over & over again months ago. I think a lot of people just didn't want to hear it again so they didn't watch.

There was some polling taken that Scream Queens was the premiering new TV show the public had received the most advertising for and had the most "recognition' factor. I think 'SuperGirl' was second.

FOX promoted it through two fiscal years, ie the end of of fall season 14/15 and now the fall 2015/16. Considering outside of something like "EMPIRE" most TV shows decline from their first outing, the floor could fall quite quickly for FOX.

It just goes to show you just can't just promote the hell out of something if the public aint' buying. For better or for worse, I think the GA knew it was a Ryan Murphy type of snarky black comedy/horror and said no thankyou.

Actually not too suprised. The show is like a "scary" version of Glee without singing, so no surprise considering Glee's ratings were in the toilet by the last few seasons. People were able to see the similariies in the promos, and were like thanks, but no thanks.

FOX of course is going to spin this that it's "big" on social media, but let's see if the ratings tank if that translates to advertising revenue.

Isn't the most of  the ad space bought already and sold at certain price already though?

Ads are sold based on expected ratings. If the real ratings are lower than expected the network has to give free ads to the advertiser to make up for the lower ratings or refund part of the money that the advertiser paid.

Also a lot of the reviews are not good either.

Really? Almost of the reviews I've seen, in print and online, have been glowing. Actually, I haven't read any truly negative reviews.

Edited by mack6986
Really? Almost of the reviews I've seen, in print and online, have been glowing. Actually, I haven't read any truly negative reviews.

Meta Critic and Rotten Tomatoes, two sites  which sums up some notices for Scream Queens and the sum total is not  exactly "glowing"

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/scream-queens-2015

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/scream-queens/

Excerpt:

Scream Queens: Season 1

Critics Consensus: Too tasteless for mainstream viewers and too silly for horror enthusiasts, Scream Queens fails to satisfy.

One doesn't have to look very far,     Variety, Wall Street Journal, TV Guide,  USATODAY, NY Times, Hollywood Reporter, NY Daily News, etc all had some issues/reservations with Scream Queens and some were outright pans.

TV Guide

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/41825/roush-review-the-muppets-scream-queens-limitless-and-best-night-ever-are-a-mixed-bag-of-tricks/

More of an occasion to cringe than scream, Queens is a mean-spirited and imbecilic cartoon about murders in a Sorority House From Hell, and plays as if it were concocted by 14-year-olds sifting through their ugliest tweets

Here's another excerpt from Time Magazine's online site:

http://time.com/4044311/scream-queens-is-a-missed-opportunity-for-fox-and-ryan-murphy/

t’s hard to criticize a show for not trying to be something different—and if Scream Queens just wanted to be a competently done horror series, it’d have to be judged on that basis. But the show clearly wants to be a satire of horror, and society, and the racial attitudes that remain an obsessive concern of Murphy’s. Had it narrowed its aperture, tried to be a show that took on mismanagement of criminal doings on a college campus, or a simple genre homage, or a diva smackdown for gay audiences only, it might have been a success. But Ryan Murphy wants his shows to do it all, including stuff that’s never really worked for him. And in an era when actresses who don’t look like Emma Roberts are demanding respect more loudly than ever, it shouldn’t be a surprise if people change the channel.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Meta Critic and Rotten Tomatoes, two sites  which sums up some notices for Scream Queens and the sum total is not  exactly "glowing"

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/scream-queens-2015

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/scream-queens/

Excerpt:

One doesn't have to look very far,     Variety, Wall Street Journal, TV Guide,  USATODAY, NY Times, Hollywood Reporter, NY Daily News, etc all had some issues/reservations with Scream Queens and some were outright pans.

TV Guide

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/41825/roush-review-the-muppets-scream-queens-limitless-and-best-night-ever-are-a-mixed-bag-of-tricks/

Here's another excerpt from Time Magazine's online site:

http://time.com/4044311/scream-queens-is-a-missed-opportunity-for-fox-and-ryan-murphy/

Thank you for posting those articles, these are the ones I was referring to and I think there may be a few more who weren't all that impressed with this show, and some who gave a few kind words and nods to Jamie Lee Curtis. As I stated above I do believe most of the general audience and reviewers are OVER Ryan Murphy and company form of humor or better yet lack there of.

Do you have any of those sites? I'm just curious about how they watched the show and came up with their review as opposed to some of the bigger (not sure some of these may be notable too) more established magazine outlets. 

Edited by Ann Mack

Do you have any of those sites? I'm just curious about how they watched the show and came up with their review as opposed to some of the bigger (not sure some of these may be notable too) more established magazine outlets. 

The pilot was screened for press a while ago and it  was shown at comic con.   There were also screeners for  the public in many different cities. 

Some  reviews found in the SQ media thread. 

Six TVLine editors went ahead and cut to the chase to suggest three freshman shows that are at the top of the class and one (perhaps) fated to flunk.

MICHAEL AUSIELLO SAYS… SCREAM QUEENS (FOX): It’s wrong in all the right ways.

ANDY SWIFT SAYS…SCREAM QUEENS (FOX): Arguably the Ryan Murphy-est show of all time, this is the perfect consolation prize for those still disappointed that Horror Story: Coven never got its own spinoff.

REBECCA IANNUCCI SAYS… SCREAM QUEENS (FOX): Come for the star-studded cast — including the Scream Queen, Jamie Lee Curtis — but stay for the biting humor and thoroughly entertaining plot twists.

http://www.thedailyb...s-and-more.html

NY POST

Best cast

“Scream Queens”

Ryan Murphy convinced Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett to take a very long walk on the Gothic wild side for several seasons of “American Horror Story,” and in the process revived their careers. Now he has trained his campy eye on a younger generation of gamines for “Scream Queens,” a smart sendup of sororities. The new Fox comedy-drama features a starry cast of young women. In the lead, “AHS” alumnus Emma Roberts plays Chanel Oberlin, the incredibly condescending president of Kappa Kappa Tau, the mean-girls club. As her minions, referred to as “the Chanels,” Murphy has rounded up Oscar nominee Abigail Breslin, Lea Michele of “Glee” and scene-stealer Skyler Samuels, another “AHS” veteran. Presiding over them all with regal disdain is none other than Jamie Lee Curtis as the college dean Cathy Munsch, who is determined to end the sorority’s days — and vicious nights.

http://nypost.com/20...n-tv-this-fall/

Frobes

'Scream Queens' Review: The Gloriously Hilarious Hyper-Reality That MTV's 'Scream' Should Have Been

http://www.forbes.co...-queens-review/

Deadline

‘Scream Queens’ Review: Ryan Murphy Satire Howls In A Good Way.

http://deadline.com/...way-1201526640/

Jarett Wieselman ‏@JarettSays  (BUZZFEED)

Just watched the #ScreamQueens pilot & I'm still laughing. Better than I hoped

Buzzfeed  - be excited - http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/2015-tv-fall-preview-what-to-watch#.fbnAQ5g21

Joseph Kapsch ‏@JosephKapsch (The Wrap)

LOVE LOVE LOVED screening of @ScreamQueens --@MrRPMurphy has another hit on his hands @SohoHouseLA

the actual review from The Wrap and different reviewer  - http://www.thewrap.com/scream-queens-review-ryan-murphy-puts-hip-hilarious-spin-on-horror-genre/

and

MTV

“Scream Queens” is an unapologetic, over-the-top horror-satire — and it’s thoroughly fun. Absurd and hilarious (in a good way), Ryan Murphy’s “Scream Queens” is one of this season’s most promising TV pilots, and we here at MTV News are going to give you a spoiler-free rundown of the delightful insanity. http://www.mtv.com/news/2264183/scream-queens-spoiler-free-review/

I excluded EW and E Online who gushed over it for obvious reasons.

Edited by pete

I think the reality is actually more mixed reviews with maybe a greater leaning towards more positive rather than truly negative.  Metacritic had 12 positive, 16 mixed, and 3 negative reviews.  It's not exactly a huge sample size so far of reviews.  

I didn't actually like the pilot very much, but this is a show that I'm very curious to see how ratings pan out across other digital platforms.  It's digital buzz is still in the top 10 of all shows, so the delayed viewing/streaming number should be interesting.  I do think it's target audience is a lot less likely to commit 2 hours to an actual broadcast.  

I think it's more and more evident that younger viewers do not watch live broadcast television.  Some of the best performing new shows clearly skew towards an older audience.  I mean I don't think a ton of millennials are tuning into the Muppets. 

Of course there is going to be range for the reviews of a show as "divisive" as Scream Queens, but the reasons for listing some of the negative notices was to address the contention that the media critics were overwhelmingly positive or adulatory for SC, which they clearly have not been. You don't have to look that hard to find main stream media critics who didn't like the show.

What I do think did happen was that the majority of the entertainment /media websites picked "Scream Queens " as one of the likely TV hits/successes for this fall and the show did receive alot of media attention (it is on the cover of EW this week) and social media buzz. Apparently polls/study groups responded favorably to SC, the curious thing was some of the other shows that polled well did premiere to better numbers (The Muppets, for example) .

However the big thing is it's hard to gauage how much of social media translates to advertising and other $$$$$ for TV shows. I know the Mindy Project got a lot of buzz for younger demographics and had a very high 3+ or 7+ delayed viewing numbers, but the lower ratings still sunk if for traditional Network fare.

right or wrong, ratings are still a measure.

However, I think it still stands that show has not received an overwhelmingly positive response from most mainstream critics.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Well the point is that the reviews are generally mixed and I think personal biases and interests (i.e., what you read and where you read them) leads you to believe "overwhelmingly positive" vs. "most reviews are bad", which was what the "overwhelming positive" point was trying to counter.  Neither of those statements are true.   I mean objectively speaking the number of truly positive outweigh the number of truly negative reviews, but the majority is mixed.  I think that's the reality.  

Also, while Mindy Project got a lot of buzz, I think its ratings were just way to low to tolerate for a broadcast network, especially since they were on a downward trajectory.  If Scream Queens drops to the level of the Mindy Project, I'm sure it's a lot less likely to get renewed in the traditional way.

Maybe streaming is just the future path forward for the type of content that attracts younger audiences.  Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, Youtube and that's it.  It's a really interesting world in digital media right now.

The Muppets, which polled well, I think attracts a very different kind of audience more likely to watch broadcast television (families, older demo than SQ).  Plus it's a 30 minute show.  Much easier to sample.

Edited by dizzyizzy01

'I mean objectively speaking the number of truly positive outweigh the number of truly negative reviews, but the majority is mixed. I think that's the reality. '

Objectively speaking, nobody has supplied any real numbers to back up the claim " that the truly positive outweigh the truly negative reviews."

Regardless, people make up their own mind if they like it or not. I simply pointed out some fairly heavy hitters (NY Times, Variety, WSJ, TIME, NY Daily News, USA TODAY,, TV Guide , etc who gave mixed to bad reviews. People can take it how they want. I think that's reality too.

this discussion only started because of the claim that practically all the reviews were gushing and positive for the show.

Edited by caracas1914

'I mean objectively speaking the number of truly positive outweigh the number of truly negative reviews, but the majority is mixed. I think that's the reality. '

Objectively speaking, nobody has supplied any real numbers to back up the claim " that the truly positive outweigh the truly negative reviews."

Well I'm referencing the metacritic link that you posted.  12 positive, 3 negative, 16 mixed?  That's seem like a reasonably objective measure to me.  I admit I haven't actually read the reviews though.

Edited by dizzyizzy01

Ratings: ‘Scream Queens,’ ‘Limitless,’ ‘Muppets’ Soar in Delayed Viewing

All three of Tuesday’s broadcast newcomers had good stories to tell in Nielsen’s first delayed-viewing snapshot of the season, with Fox’s “Scream Queens” — the softest of last week’s bows on the night — benefiting the most.

“Scream Queens” gained 1.07 ratings points in adults 18-49 (or 65%) in rising to a 2.73 for its premiere. Tuesday’s youngest-skewing broadcast (median age: 36) was the night’s biggest gainer in both raw numbers and percentage, according to Nielsen’s “live plus-3” estimates. It leap-frogged three shows on the competition that it had lagged in same-night numbers: ABC’s “Fresh Off the Boat,” CBS’ “Limitless” and NBC’s “Best Time Ever With Neil Patrick Harris.”

The new horror comedy from Ryan Murphy added more than 2 million total viewers, rising from 4.04 million to 6.24 million. “Scream Queens” also added about 1 million viewers via streaming on Fox Now and Hulu, the largest-ever lift for a Fox premiere (ahead of even “Empire”) in this window, to bring its three-day viewership to about 7.3 million.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/ratings-scream-queens-limitless-muppets-delayed-viewing-1201603502/

Sometimes I forget just how archaic the Nielson system is.

Good to get a reminder every now and then.

The guy from  TVline said the ave median age for broadcast tv is 52 the average age for SQ was 36. 

If  the advertisers want  18-49 then they need to figure out ways fast to capture people watching tv on other platforms.

I think many agree that the GA's viewing habits have changed with younger demographics not as tied to live viewing. The problem is that no one has been able to gague how effective marketing/advertising is or can be done through these other platforms.

IMO One of the hesitancies so far in completely revamping the ratings system is that there is no model to replace it with, or the new model may reveal certain weaknesses the networks are loathe to expose (aka TV advertising isn't as impactful as previously thought). Plus putting social media into the mix begs the question, how accurate is that per spending habits of those who use it?

Edited by caracas1914

I just think regardless of what medium people are using to receive broadcast entertainment "Scream Queens" isn't being appealing to them. I think it pertains to what show a person is fond of as to how ways are found to disagree with the overall numbers for that particular show. Yes it may or whether it is an outdated system and yes some shows would probably fair better with boosts in DVR or live stream viewing. However, that is not what they are working with an until the system is updated/graded TV shows, the writers, Executive Producers, anyone else involved, and CEOs have to go with and accept what they have in front of them. I'm sure its disappointing to those who want to see this show do well but its consistently dropping viewers from beginning to the end in every episode it has aired. Final numbers were 3.47M so its even less than the 3.56M which was provided earlier. I see on Twitter were a TT is this: "Scream Queen audiences increases 80% in First Three Days" that information isn't put out by a casual viewer but probably someone at the network who knows this show is in trouble and is trying to keep the revenue from advertising fees where they are. Not sure if its true but I did read somewhere (can't remember where or verify if the statement is even true) if the numbers projected of viewers/ratings does not match what companies bought in at for advertising fees at Upfronts than the network has to refund the difference or provide free advertisments so they recoup the monies paid in advance. 

To those who want this show to succeed good luck. I'm not sure if they can spin this into a positive thing or not, I'm sure they will try damn hard to though. I'm sure they are wishing this show was pulling "Empire" like numbers for viewership. I'm not sure if its the scripts, acting. or people are just tired of Ryan Murphy and Company brand of humor. But right now this show is not looking good for a second season.

Weighing in on how people watch-I'm 34, and we cut our broadcast cable, so I just watch through Hulu...so even if I watch faithfully it won't get picked up in the initial ratings. 

Unless you are Neilson family it wouldn't pick up your broad cast watching any way.

Is there even a second season planned? I thought this was a one-off show, only for a season.

I like the idea of Scream Queens beingan anthology series. First season is a sorority, second cheerleaders, third pageant queens, fourth modeling agency, etc.

Edited by Avaleigh

Is there even a second season planned? I thought this was a one-off show, only for a season.

They were anticipating an anthology.  Murphy said before it started how many characters would live and that they would move on to the next setting in the next season.

Unless you are Neilson family it wouldn't pick up your broad cast watching any way.

If you use Hulu (or more generally, downloading off the Internet), the place you download it from automatically gets a count of your viewership, but you're right--if you use a VCR, it doesn't get picked up.  A DVR depends on the DVR system you use (mine keeps asking to be hooked up to the Internet, but I don't want it watching shows without me...and I want compensation for the loss of privacy.)

True. Once upon a time we were a Nielsen family. It was fun, even if we did have to take what felt like 4-hour long marketing surveys every time they serviced our equipment (what kind of car did we drive, financed/leased/owned, how much time did we spend online on average, etc).

Still bitter we became a Nielsen household THE DAY BEFORE DOLLHOUSE WAS CANCELLED. I like to think if I had watched it enough I could have driven up the ratings.

If you use Hulu (or more generally, downloading off the Internet), the place you download it from automatically gets a count of your viewership, but you're right--if you use a VCR, it doesn't get picked up.  A DVR depends on the DVR system you use (mine keeps asking to be hooked up to the Internet, but I don't want it watching shows without me...and I want compensation for the loss of privacy.)

We were talking about using broadcast tv and overnights ratings not other platforms.   I know they can count other systems. The problem is their heavy reliance on counting  that first time/live viewing.

Edited by tom87

Ok.  The +3 ratings jump continues--from Zap2it:

Week two of SCREAM QUEENS  gained +64% from Live + Same Day to Nielsen’s Live + 3s among Adults 18-49 (1.4/5 > 2.3/7) – a higher percentage gain than its premiere in L3 (59%) --  and was up +74% with Women 18-34 (1.9/7 > 3.3/11).

·        SCREAM QUEENS was Tuesday’s highest-rated scripted series among Women 18-34 and Female Teens and continues to rank as the #1 new show among Teens.

·        With all platforms factored in, SCREAM QUEENS averaged an audience of 5.7 Mil in 3 Day Multi-Platform Audience -- a +64% increase versus Live + SD (3.5 Mil).

Ryan Murphy tweeted this yesterday and Lea retweeted. I don't know if this is a good thing or just so so?

@MrRPMurphy  15h15 hours ago
The full 7 day ratings are finally in for the premiere and SCREAM QUEENS grew 82 % AND is Fox's #2 show after EMPIRE. Thanks #Squeemers!

Ryan Murphy tweeted this yesterday and Lea retweeted. I don't know if this is a good thing or just so so?

it is still so so and still spin but if people are watching the show on Video on demand or on the Fox website they are watching commercials and Fox is still making some money.

It helps renewal chances, but I don't know how much.  If I were an advertiser, I'd be curious as to how this translates into people seeing my ads/buying my product as compared to "live" viewers.  The one exception--if I had something time-sensitive (like a new movie opening), I'd only count live or live+3.  If I'm selling most things, I'd want to know more about how well the +7 remembers an ad.

Latest ratings subject to possible final adjustments:

Time Show Adults 18-49 Rating/Share Viewers (000s)

9 p.m.

Scream Queens (FOX) 1.0./3 2.45

So far the ratings have been:

If the ratings go "fractional" ( below 1.0) Ryan Murphy spinning the social media angle 24/7 won't do any good. The "strong in other platforms" argument works only if the rating are at a tolerable level, otherwise we are talking the Mindy Project scenario all over again.

Edited by caracas1914

Latest ratings subject to possible final adjustments:

Time Show Adults 18-49 Rating/Share Viewers (000s)

9 p.m.

Scream Queens (FOX) 1.0./3 2.45

So far the ratings have been:

If the ratings go "fractional" ( below 1.0) Ryan Murphy spinning the social media angle 24/7 won't do any good. The "strong in other platforms" argument works only if the rating are at a tolerable level, otherwise we are talking the Mindy Project scenario all over again.

Curious are you watching the show or just the ratings?

Curious are you watching the show or just the ratings?

Both, as both activities usually go hand in hand with me.

ETA:

Final numbers are in, Scream Queens remained at 1.0 but the live viewing dipped to 2.39 million.

These were the numbers from the first half hour of the premiere.

8PM: 1.7 A18-49, 4.45M viewers

If we are talking numbers, Scream Queens has dropped a whopping 53 % of it's live viewing audience within 4 episodes and 41 % of it's ratings share.

It has to somehow stop the ratings hemorrhage now, because it simply cannot afford to dip anymore and hope for a second season renewal.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

If I were Fox, I'd consider another option:

Since a very large percentage of viewership is time-shifted anyway, I'd consider another time slot.  Usually Fridays are considered terrible, but DVRs on season pass will help.  This would be especially likely if there were some sort of horror-themed holiday coming up on a weekend this year.

The other issue is what else Fox has--but i would expect a time slot change before total cancellation.