Type keyword(s) to search

Scream Queens in the Media

http://deadline.com/2015/05/fox-fall-schedule-2015-upfronts-new-shows-minority-report-new-girl-1201424272/

SCREAM QUEENS — The girls of Kappa House are dying for new pledges. SCREAM QUEENS is a new killer comedy-horror series from Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan, the Emmy- and Golden Globe Award-winning executive producers of GLEE and “American Horror Story.” Wallace University is rocked by a string of murders. Kappa House, the most sought-after sorority for pledges, is ruled with an iron fist (in a pink glove) by its Queen Bitch, CHANEL OBERLIN (Emma Roberts, “American Horror Story: Freak Show,” “Scream 4”). But when anti-Kappa DEAN MUNSCH (Jamie Lee Curtis, “Halloween,” “A Fish Called Wanda,” “True Lies”) decrees that sorority pledging must be open to all students, and not just the school’s silver-spooned elite, all hell is about to break loose, as a devil-clad killer begins wreaking havoc, claiming one victim, one episode at a time. Part black comedy, part slasher flick, SCREAM QUEENS is a modern take on the classic whodunit, in which every character has a motive for murder…or could easily be the next blood-soaked casualty. SCREAM QUEENS stars Emma Roberts, Jamie Lee Curtis, Emmy Award and Golden Globe Award nominee Lea Michele (GLEE), Academy Award nominee Abigail Breslin (“Little Miss Sunshine,” “Zombieland,” “August: Osage County”), Nasim Pedrad (“Saturday Night Live”), Oliver Hudson (“Nashville,” “Rules of Engagement”), Skyler Samuels (“American Horror Story: Coven”), Keke Palmer (“Akeela and the Bee,” “Masters of Sex”), newcomer Billie Lourd, Diego Bonita (“Rock of Ages”), Glen Powell (“The Expendables 3”), Lucien Laviscount (“Episodes”), Niecy Nash (“Getting On,” “The Soul Man”), pop superstar and actor Nick Jonas (“Kingdom”) and Grammy Award nominee and actress Ariana Grande. Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennen serve as co-creators, writers, directors and executive producers. Scream Queens is produced by 20th Century Fox Television, Ryan Murphy Television and Brad Falchuk Teley-Vision.

This is Ryan Murphy, so I'm expecting a fun but pretty shallow show that goes bad around season 3. But I'll definitely tune it for s1. Emma Roberts' character sure seems exactly like her character in AHS season 3.

• Love 1

Scream Queens ‏@ScreamQueens

#ScreamQueens is one of the @CriticsChoice Television Awards "Most Exciting New Series" honorees. We are truly honored! #CriticsChoice

Comic-Con 2015: Scream Queens, Sleepy Hollow, Horror Story and Minority Report Among First Announced Panels

Twentieth Century Fox Television has unveiled its Comic-Con 2015 slate, and it promises to be a fearfest with a joint panel for FX’s American Horror Story and Fox’s upcoming Scream Queens.

American Horror Story and Scream Queens
The cast of Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan’s Fox comedy Scream Queens (including Jamie Lee Curtis, Emma Roberts, Lea Michele, Skyler Samuels and Keke Palmer) come face to face with the stars of Murphy and Falchuk’s FX drama American Horror Story: Hotel (Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, and Matt Bomer).

Scream Queens: World Premiere Screening
Be the first in the world to see Fox’s comedy-horror anthology series, starring Jamie Lee Curtis, Emma Roberts, Lea Michele, Abigal Breslin, Nasim Pedrad, Oliver Hudson, Skyler Samuels, Keke Palmer, Billie Lourd, Diego Bonita, Glen Powell, Lucien Laviscount, Niecy Nash, Nick Jonas and Ariana Grande and revolving around a string of college campus murders.

http://tvline.com/2015/06/01/comic-con-2015-scream-queens-sleepy-hollow-horror-story/

http://www.eonline.com/news/670289/charisma-carpenter-joins-scream-queens-and-you-will-love-who-she-s-playing

Right after we found out that the series would be arriving on our TV screens on September 22, we got some more amazing news.

Charisma Carpenter, also known as Cordelia Chase from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, has been cast in the horror/comedy series from Ryan Murphy as the mother of one very famous pop star named Ariana Grande!

Also a screener of the pilot was shown:

Jarett Wieselman ‏@JarettSays  (BUZZFEED)

Just watched the #ScreamQueens pilot & I'm still laughing. Better than I hoped

Leanne Aguilera ‏@leanneaguilera (ET)

I just got out of a screening of @ScreamQueens & I can't say enough incredible things about it!! It was absolute PERFECTION! #newobsession

Joseph Kapsch ‏@JosephKapsch (The Wrap)

LOVE LOVE LOVED screening of @ScreamQueens --@MrRPMurphy has another hit on his hands @SohoHouseLA

They screened the pilot at Comic Con and seems to be getting good responce at least according to E!'s Kritsin Dos Santos

Kristin Dos Santos ‏@KristinDSantos 3h3 hours ago

WOW. Just read thru a ton of #ScreamQueens tweets after screening at #SDCC and holy crap are they positive!!!

I want to watch this, but every time I see the commercial & Emma Roberts says "what fresh hell is this?" I want to stab somebody. Couldn't one of the writers think up an original line for her to say? It's been done. And done. And done. And since it's originally attributed to Dorothy Parker, it was done a long, long time ago.  

• Love 1

I want to watch this, but every time I see the commercial & Emma Roberts says "what fresh hell is this?" I want to stab somebody. Couldn't one of the writers think up an original line for her to say? It's been done. And done. And done. And since it's originally attributed to Dorothy Parker, it was done a long, long time ago.  

Most everything on tv has been done before.  Plus people quote things people have said before in real life all the time too.

Al lot of this show seem to be playing homage to a lot things in fun not to be serious at all.  I think it you go in to the show open to the camp of it all it will work, if you go in to it  taking it as seriously it won't.

• Love 1

They are pushing this show hard. I hope it's entertaining.

I have a feeling it is going to be a  love it or hate deal.

The reviews so far have been positive by professionals and random people (of course some negatives mixed in too).

I think it is the person can't  embrace the camp and OTT heightened reality or easily offended they won't like it.   

So I guess this is more a spoof then straight up scary anthology?

Yes most definitely.   It is more OTT comedy with off the wall situations than straight horror, but does seem to have some gore.

Edited by pete

Round up of Fall TV Must see lists

Six TVLine editors went ahead and cut to the chase to suggest three freshman shows that are at the top of the class and one (perhaps) fated to flunk.

MICHAEL AUSIELLO SAYS…
SCREAM QUEENS (FOX): It’s wrong in all the right ways.

ANDY SWIFT SAYS…
SCREAM QUEENS (FOX): Arguably the Ryan Murphy-est show of all time, this is the perfect consolation prize for those still disappointed that Horror Story: Coven never got its own spinoff.

REBECCA IANNUCCI SAYS…
SCREAM QUEENS (FOX): Come for the star-studded cast — including the Scream Queen, Jamie Lee Curtis — but stay for the biting humor and thoroughly entertaining plot twists.

http://www.thedailyb...s-and-more.html

E! Online

1. Scream Queens

When it premieres: Tuesday, Sept. 22 at 8 p.m.

What we thought: “Hands down my favorite new show of the season. Emma Roberts will make you feel like you can’t breathe with her perfection because she SLAYS in this role—it is the role she was born to do, playing the worst, most bitchtastic sorority girl of all time, Chanel. And the entire cast, with Jamie Lee Curtis, Lea Michele, Niecy Nash, Keke Palmer and some breakout stars you soon will know well, are such ridiculous fun to watch, you’ll find yourself craving more when each episode ends. Bitchy, insane, and full of jaw-dropping death scenes you will laugh-scream at (that’s now a thing), Scream Queens is the best new show I’ve seen in a very long time.” – Kristin Dos Santos - http://www.eonline.com/photos/16999/our-official-ranking-of-the-new-fall-shows-what-s-no-1/516219

NY POST

Best cast

“Scream Queens”

Ryan Murphy convinced Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett to take a very long walk on the Gothic wild side for several seasons of “American Horror Story,” and in the process revived their careers. Now he has trained his campy eye on a younger generation of gamines for “Scream Queens,” a smart sendup of sororities. The new Fox comedy-drama features a starry cast of young women. In the lead, “AHS” alumnus Emma Roberts plays Chanel Oberlin, the incredibly condescending president of Kappa Kappa Tau, the mean-girls club. As her minions, referred to as “the Chanels,” Murphy has rounded up Oscar nominee Abigail Breslin, Lea Michele of “Glee” and scene-stealer Skyler Samuels, another “AHS” veteran. Presiding over them all with regal disdain is none other than Jamie Lee Curtis as the college dean Cathy Munsch, who is determined to end the sorority’s days — and vicious nights.

http://nypost.com/2015/09/14/what-to-watch-and-what-to-skip-on-tv-this-fall/

Frobes

'Scream Queens' Review: The Gloriously Hilarious Hyper-Reality That MTV's 'Scream' Should Have Been

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2015/09/15/scream-queens-review/

Billboard 5 things we can't wait to see

3. Scream Queens
Ariana Grande, Nick Jonas and Lea Michele all appear in this buzzy horror comedy (premiering Sept. 22) from Glee/American Horror Story master Ryan Murphy. The trailers have teased a lot of blood, so the real question now is: How do these pop stars meet their doom? http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6692381/fall-tv-2015-scream-queens-empire-american-horror-story-hotel

Wall Street Journal

Ryan Murphy’s horror franchise is growing. The eclectic-minded showrunner’s “American Horror Story” FX anthology series is entering its fifth season with the Lady Gaga-starring “Hotel,” and his new show, “Scream Queens,” is coming to Fox this fall. The title “Scream Queens,” as well as the imagery of a knife-sporting masked killer, should clue you in on what to expect: this is Murphy’s riff on the slasher genre. Also, one of the stars is Jamie Lee Curtis who comes from a strong slasher heritage: She starred in the original “Halloween,” and her mother, Janet Leigh, was the original scream queen in “Psycho.”

Premiere date: Sept. 22 at 8 p.m. on Fox.  http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/09/10/fall-tv-preview-2015/

ET

1. Show: Scream Queens

When It Airs: Tuesday, Sept. 22 at 8 p.m. on Fox (with a special two-hour premiere).

The Biggest Stars: Where do we even begin?! Jamie Lee Curtis, Emma Roberts, Lea Michele, Ariana Grande, Nick Jonas, Keke Palmer and Abigail Breslin are all a part of this thrilledy (that's thriller/comedy, natch). Basically, all the stars want to pledge Kappa -- and so do we!

Why You Should Watch: We've already told you multiple times why we're obsessed with Scream Queens, but please excuse us while we gush a bit more. It is (by far!) the best first hour of television we've seen in a long time -- mostly because this slasher series feels more like a movie than a show. In fact, the best way to describe Ryan Murphy's latest small screen delight is with the recipe for a big-screen cocktail: Mix the thrills of Halloween, with the character cruelty of Heathers. Add a dash of the laughs and fashion from Clueless, and a healthy heaping of Mean Girls' catchy and quotable dialogue. Stir until blood red, and you've got the deliciously vicious series known as Scream Queens.  http://www.etonline.com/news/170281_2015_fall_tv_preview_the_7_best_new_shows_you_need_to_watch_and_why/

EW

9 p.m. ET

Watch Live: Scream Queens (Fox, Sept. 22)
Why? Ryan Murphy’s Scream Queens follows American Horror Story’s horror anthology format, but adds more humor. A lot more humor. “I think this is the funniest thing [Glee creators Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, and Ian Brennan] have ever done,” star (and AHS veteran) Emma Roberts told EW. Between that and its laundry list of stars, including Jamie Lee Curtis and Lea Michele, Scream Queens is just the show to brighten — and bloody — up your Tuesday evening. http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/15/fall-tv-preview-tuesday-night-viewing-guide?hootPostID=54bc15c37956b255d8248d93e8a7a5cb

Deadline

‘Scream Queens’ Review: Ryan Murphy Satire Howls In A Good Way.

http://deadline.com/2015/09/scream-queens-review-ryan-murphy-satire-howls-in-a-good-way-1201526640/

There is more by a slew of different sites.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

tumblr_nuqgefzzVn1qexeroo1_1280.jpg

Jamie Lee Curtis on Recreating ‘Psycho’ Scene: ‘It Felt Like The Right Time’

“Scream Queens” star Jamie Lee Curtis has been paying homage to her horror film roots with her role in Fox’s new series, as she revealed to Variety.

But now she’s taking things a step further, with a photo she posted on social media that shows her recreating her mother, Janet Leigh’s, infamous shower scene from “Psycho.”

My entire life I have refused to step into the shower because it belongs to my mother,” she told Variety. “I have attempted to step out of the shadow of my parents for a long time.”

But when she was presented with the scene, which appears in an episode written by Brad Falchuck, she agreed the time was finally right.

“It felt like they’re both gone, and enough time has passed,” she said. “This role has appeared in my life. It’s unexpected and delightful.”

She said she had only one directive for Ryan Murphy and company: “If we’re going to go for it, let’s go for it. Let’s be accurate as we can. And we did.”

The scene appears “way down the line” in the show’s 15-episode run, she said. And she couldn’t be more pleased with the results.

But why show the photo so early?

“As soon as Ryan saw that picture,” she said, “he said put it out. So I did.”

“Scream Queens” premieres at 8 p.m. on Sept. 22 on Fox.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/jamie-lee-curtis-scream-queens-psycho-janet-leigh-mom-1201594059/

This show is NOT starting out good:

Scream Queens half-hours:
8PM: 1.7A18-49, 4.45M viewers
8:30PM: 1.6, 3.96M
9PM: 1.6, 3.86M
9:30PM: 1.6, 3.75M

Losing that many viewers during your premiere IS NEVER a good sign. Also a lot of the reviews are not good either. I think most people are OVER Ryan Murphy's form of humor (if that is what you can call it). This show got young, fairly big name celebrities and relied on that to push the show instead of a script. Oh well I think I would have been surprised if it had MORE viewers this is about what I was expecting or at least hoping for. Because I am one of those people that is OVER Ryan Murphy.

From the Variety interview

He compares it to what he’s learned from “American Horror Story,” which has seen exponential growth in viewers over the course of its four seasons. “Anything that is horror, the viewing audience is biggest on the weekends, because young women want to watch it during the day with the lights on,” he says.

Fuck you Murphy. 

I forgot my rule: never, ever, ever ever read something Murphy has to say if I want to keep enjoying his shows. 

• Love 4

From the Variety interview

Fuck you Murphy. 

I forgot my rule: never, ever, ever ever read something Murphy has to say if I want to keep enjoying his shows. 

This show has also added the rule to never watch Murphy to my list.  Those clips of Murphy interviewing the cast on loop on On Demand are just awful.  So much ass kissing.  I don't understand it.  And he ruined Jamie Lee Curtis. How do you ruin Jamie Lee Curtis?  I have to think she has literally seen nothing but her own scenes.  But seriously, best comedy writing since 'A Fish Called Wanda'.  He somehow forced her to say that.  But I don't know how.  And it makes me sad.

This show has also added the rule to never watch Murphy to my list.  Those clips of Murphy interviewing the cast on loop on On Demand are just awful.  So much ass kissing.  I don't understand it.  And he ruined Jamie Lee Curtis. How do you ruin Jamie Lee Curtis?  I have to think she has literally seen nothing but her own scenes.  But seriously, best comedy writing since 'A Fish Called Wanda'.  He somehow forced her to say that.  But I don't know how.  And it makes me sad.

Ow, that hurt just to READ that Jamie Lee said that. I'm glad I didn't see it.

• Love 2

But seriously, best comedy writing since 'A Fish Called Wanda'.  He somehow forced her to say that.  But I don't know how.  And it makes me sad.

I'm sorry but that's fucking bullshit!  This crap (as entertaining as it is) is not even in the same room as A Fish Called Wanda.  You've got to be kidding.

• Love 2