Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: The DESPY Awards

• Start Topic

I'm surprised Miss Kasha Davis left rather than Kandy WHO? At least Kasha was somewhat funny? What has Kandy done to still be here?

I LOVED that they featured Bjork's swan dress. I hope it gets here a couple hundred new fans.

• Love 1

I don't really mind that MKD left; she was never going to win anyway. Kandy Ho will be gone soon enough.

I love Katya, but she doesn't seem to be impressing the judges much. She was my preseason favorite, although I have to admit Max has overtaken her at this point.

Kennedy Davenport looked STUNNING tonight!

I'm surprised Miss Kasha Davis left rather than Kandy WHO? At least Kasha was somewhat funny? What has Kandy done to still be here?

Be Puerto Rican, I guess. Though outside of Yara, I always felt the Puerto Rican queens were around way past their expiration date.

• Love 1

Pearl's story arc was as boring as Pearl.

I'm guessing she's this season's Trinity. If she returns to her Ambien induced baseline next week she'll be gone. They might be angling for a pretty young thing to win this season, but there are four of them and both Max and Violet have more to offer besides a pretty face and a body to die for and Fame is showing signs of an endearing, if not marketable, personality. My only concern now, as they pick off the contestants with actual personalities, is that Snatch Game will be an epic fail and the final third of the season a snooze. Katya and Ginger had better stick around awhile or I may have to bail.

• Love 5

A lack of strong personalities does seem a problem this season. Ginger and Katya are funny, but more low key and with fewer easy quotes and zingers than the usual big personality queens of a season. Max is a skilled introvert, good at everything he does but he's very reserved. Jaidynn has high energy and likes to talk, but too little confidence to be a real shady comedy lady. Similarly, Violet is a bit shady and definitely bitchy, but he's also too reserved and given to fall back to resting bitch face to bring big time bitch theatrics. Fame and Kandy Ho continue to exist in a bland 'you barely exist except for runway' kind of way(and personally i'm finding Fame a bit noxious because while pageant vs comedy is a bit tiresome, at least that is throwing shade about different types of being skilled at performance and entertainment. Fame seems to view the concept of performance and entertainment as things beneath her). Kennedy has a very severe professional demeanor usually, we only get to see her soften and loosen up in rare bits with Ginger. Pearl is deadpan funny, but not a really strong personality either.

This season has definitely has the U, N and T, but I think it needs a severe injection of C.

• Love 1

This episode was teeeeeeeeerrrible.  Seriously, it may have been the worst episode in the history of RPDR.  If this episode were a cartoon, the artist would draw those wiggly "stink lines" all around it.

No one was funny at that ESPY awards thing.  No one.  Despite Ru gritting her teeth and pretending to laugh, it was obvious the whole thing was as painfully dead in the studio as it was watching it at home.

What was weird was that Kathy Griffin was sitting there telling them flat out that their jokes weren't funny.  But did you notice that virtually none of them changed their routines at all? 

And listen, as I said last week, I've seen Mrs.Kasha Davis perform many times, and Kasha is funny.  Often really funny.  She does a lot of theater, both in drag and out.  I have no idea what's been going on with her.  This should have been a challenge she should have eaten up for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  It's like she had to try to be as dull as what she presented on the show.  WTF?

This season is tanking big-time, and I don't see much hope of them pulling out. 

My only concern now, as they pick off the contestants with actual personalities, is that Snatch Game will be an epic fail and the final third of the season a snooze.

Exactly.  If they can't pull off even this dumb awards show parody, how bad of a mess are they gonna make out of Snatch Game, which is even harder to get right?

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 1

This episode was teeeeeeeeerrrible.  Seriously, it may have been the worst episode in the history of RPDR.  If this episode were a cartoon, the artist would draw those wiggly "stink lines" all around it.

No one was funny at that ESPY awards thing.  No one.  Despite Ru gritting her teeth and pretending to laugh, it was obvious the whole thing was as painfully dead in the studio as it was watching it at home.

What was weird was that Kathy Griffin was sitting there telling them flat out that their jokes weren't funny.  But did you notice that virtually none of them changed their routines at all? 

And listen, as I said last week, I've seen Mrs.Kasha Davis perform many times, and Kasha is funny.  Often really funny.  She does a lot of theater, both in drag and out.  I have no idea what's been going on with her.  This should have been a challenge she should have eaten up for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  It's like she had to try to be as dull as what she presented on the show.  WTF?

This season is tanking big-time, and I don't see much hope of them pulling out. 

Exactly.  If they can't pull off even this dumb awards show parody, how bad of a mess are they gonna make out of Snatch Game, which is even harder to get right?

The episode wasn't great but there have been far worst, especially in Season 3.

I think Pearl and Max winning was kinda BS. Pearl needs to go soon. Other than too much Pearl, it wasn't a bad episode.

Edited by blaase
  • Love 1
I think Pearl and Max winning was kinda BS

It was also pretty much an exact replica of Ru's judging last week:  one of the bottom two from the week before wins, the queen who does the more energetic and entertaining LSFYL goes home.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

• Love 2

For the second week in a row, my mouth dropped when Ru gave the chante.

When Kasha Davis left instead of Kandy, I wept for the prospects of Snatch Game.  I really liked Kasha and I thought he was extremely attractive out of drag.

Her MTQ video did nothing for me, but I've loved Violet ever since her entrance week one.  There, I've said it.  I go between her and Katya as my favorite.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 2

What I really appreciated about her feedback is that she was very specific about what was wrong. I totally agreed with what she told each of them (I mean seriously, you don't need to start every sentence with, "GIIIIIRRRRRL") yet they all ignored her advice. I wish she had been the guest judge so that she could have ripped them for not listening to her.

• Love 4

Miss Fame and her chicken stories were THE best part of last night's episode, she may be my co-fave now (Max is my other fave). But something else occurred (and also in the teaser for next week's ep) that had me side eyeing big time: when Fame was babbling on the runway about her thinker and she can't shut it off and she's always thinking and the other queens know she's always thinking, and then during the teaser that showed some of her behavior next week, it made me think the editing monkeys are attempting to make her seem off or not right or something, some excuse for her to lose a LSFYL and sashay away so that Pearl or Violet get to stay.

And yet again I call BS on that LSFYL. I live for PR queens but I couldn't take my eyes off Mrs. Kasha Davis, why is Ru letting all the young queens stay?!? As of now I cringe at what Snatch Game may be, I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed that Katya, Max and Ginger will still be around then and can salvage it.

Ru's "thank you, New Jersey's Michelle Visage" comment after Michelle told Katya to use a rat tail and pump her air up literally made me LOL. I'm a Jersey girl too and have clear memories of the massive Jersey hair that some of my friends and complete strangers wore. Katya had huge hair last week, Michelle!

For some bizarre reason I actually like Isaac Mizrahi when he's a judge here. I'm still confused as to why none of the queens changed their dialogue per Kathy Griffin's suggestions, did they know already that she would not be a judge so why bother changing anything if she won't be sitting next to Ru ready to call them out for it?

• Love 4

So who in production is the boyfriend of Pearl keeping him on the show? Not even editing everything down to make the whole awards show look like the most unfunny thing ever recorded in order to allow Pearl's one funny moment shine did a thing to make him look anything other than dull. We get it, the kids last season really took to Adore Delano, and now you'd like to package up this season's winner as someone who can appeal to that demographic, but Pearl isn't going to be that queen, and the "redemption" storyline just isn't working. "I used to be really shy, but now I'm really shy and kind of snippy about it" isn't a story anyone is going to relate to.

Mrs. Kasha Davis shouldn't have gone home, but this season is being edited so clumsily that you can see all the hard work going into turning turds into diamonds.

• Love 5

And another team challenge, although they were teams of two. I missed what prize the winners won this episode, can anyone remind me? Also, I realized I had Katya and Mrs. Kasha Davis combined last week. I'm not really enjoying watching this season but I guess I'm in until the end. I'm watching to see what bizarre decisions are made next. I did warm up to Miss Fame and her chicken stories and tattoo. And I enjoyed seeing her and Violet warm up to each other a bit. Was that Teena Marie song another weird low budget choice? I can't tell; I loved Heart of Glass although not the LSFYL decision. Such a weird season.

• Love 2

We get it, the kids last season really took to Adore Delano, and now you'd like to package up this season's winner as someone who can appeal to that demographic, but Pearl isn't going to be that queen, and the "redemption" storyline just isn't working. "I used to be really shy, but now I'm really shy and kind of snippy about it" isn't a story anyone is going to relate to.

I was never a huge Adore fan but one thing I did like about her was her willingness to learn and a general sense of humor about herself.  Dang Pearl just takes herself waaay too seriously! 

• Love 3
The queens create their own award, but do they deserve to snatch a trophy for it?

Love your recaps!  Glad you clocked the Pearl redemption arc tom foolery.  Same thing happened last week with Kennedy's win.  Nobody was LOL funny this week but no one really stunk either so enh. 

Nobody was LOL funny this week

Except perhaps for:

"I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, 'The key to a swollen vagina is courage.'"

We died on that one. That one line aside, the funniest minutes of the episode were Katya and MKD in the mini challenge. That MKD went this week is yet another sign the early boots were written in stone before they happened.

• Love 7

Miss Fame's 4-H picture... it's downright bizarre to think that I was sharing space with Miss Fame at the Mid-State Fair. Now I'm going to be giving these kids all sorts of side eye wondering which one might wind up being a drag queen next. And, yes, there are some fancy chickens on display! I also really liked Miss Fame's acceptance speech... nicely done!

Of course, it was completely over-shadowed by Katya's bizarre brilliance for her acceptance speech. And she invoked Brooke Hogan! I don't even watch B&B but I know who that 'ho is! (And yes, she was serving Brooke Hogan realness. Brava, Katya! Brava!)

I can see why Max and Pearl won since the seemed to be judging the winners as a team and the losers separately. Max and Pearl did have good chemistry together onstage. Also... Pearl's boob painting is still masterful. It made Violet's look so... sad and saggy in comparison.

And how is Kandy Ho still here? She is imminently forgettable! I consistently forget who she is and then I'm just like... oh yeah... why is she still around?

• Love 3

Thank you for reminding me of Katya's Bob Ross line, that girl is a trip. Next time I hear his name or see him on the TV I will not picture white fluffy clouds or his fantastic threads and 'fro, I will instead think "the key to a swollen vagina is courage."

The other line I forgot to mention is when Pearl and Ru are having their stare-off in the work room, Max is literally in the middle and says something like "I am SO uncomfortable right now."

Just watched Untucked. Miss Fame's sentimental bawling mixed with hysterical laughter made me lol and feel for her. First the chickens, now this, she is making me love her more and more!

• Love 2

Wow, is this the season of the Basic Bitches or what? They are relentlessly chopping every comedy queen down for not being Bianca when Raja and Raven wouldn't spit on half of these pageant queens if they were on fire. I guess they're setting it up so Snatch Game is terrible and that Ginger and Katya are safe no matter what. 

I didn't get Trixie over Pearl in the lip-sync last week, but I agree with Kandy Ho over Kasha Davis. Kandy was def feeling the energy of the song better and Kasha was too busy doing broadway jazz hands without much emotional range. Kasha set herself up with her constant reminders that she'd been trying so long to get on the show. If she'd been half as good or creative as she was for the mini-challenge she would have won no question. If she was stuck, she should have just reused the jokes, tbh, only Ru had heard them already. 

I guess it was another symptom of how bad the challenge was that I was like "huh?" when Pearl & Max won, but couldn't think of a pair that was actually that much better. Pearl's Ginger impression was dead on, but just wasn't that funny to me. Funny how almost everyone turned it into a roast instead of an awards show. That was actually a great opportunity to burn the hell out of the show and how it works and how people are judged and to just punch up in general.

I feel for Kandy getting dragged on her gowns. What is she supposed to do? She has an aesthetic but she's mixing it up, and they line up to shit on it every week. It's like when Michelle kept dragging Adore for the length of her gowns, what's the point after the first two times? She can't run out and buy a whole new wardrobe because you hate her ankles, stuff it and critique something else. It's just tiresome, tell Kandy things she can fix, or be specific about how she needs to change the way she dresses herself. 

Geez, Miss Fame is just such a dork. She's making me love her more and more, especially her losing her shit over Ginger Minj's video message. In a few years I think she's going to be an amazing queen, she just needs people to teach her.

Edited by rozen
  • Love 1
I mean seriously, you don't need to start every sentence with, "GIIIIIRRRRRL"

I could see it if that were the joke -- "GIIIIIRRRRRL this", "GIIIIIRRRRRL that", "GIIIIIRRRRRL, GIIIIIRRRRRL", "oh, GIIIIIRRRRRL!"  And a nice tandem "GIIIIIRRRRRL" for good measure.

The problem with satirizing award show presenter banter is that it's usually all so hideous to start with.  Although it would have been cute for someone to pretend to read -- carefully -- from a teleprompter.

Edited by ChelseaNH
  • Love 1

My first foray in this particular forum is just to say that thanks to this show I've learned that there is such a thing as blow-drying chickens, and that is my favorite thing I've ever heard.

Hi everyone!

• Love 6
My first foray in this particular forum is just to say that thanks to this show I've learned that there is such a thing as blow-drying chickens, and that is my favorite thing I've ever heard.

Welcome!  You might be interested to know that the writer Flannery O'Connor knitted clothes for her chickens (like, she said, a "white piqué coat with a lace collar and two buttons in the back") and taught one of her chickens to walk backwards.  That's neither here nor there, but I just imagined a LSFYL between Flannery O'Connor and Eudora Welty.

• Love 5

Be Puerto Rican, I guess. Though outside of Yara, I always felt the Puerto Rican queens were around way past their expiration date.

I concur, although I'd add in Nina Flowers as a great Puerto Rican queen.

• Love 7

There must be something wrong with me, because I just do not get Miss Fame. The chicken thing was cute but it doesn't make her a better drag queen. She's humorless and despite her non-stop talking, she seems to be a charisma void. She also seems to be very dim, and the "I'm just so lost in my head!" thing seemed to be something she heard intelligent but quiet people say, so she copied it. I'm sorry to go at her so hard, because she seems like a nice enough person. I just don't understand what I'm supposed to like about her.

The one I actually liked a lot more this episode was Violet. Her Internet line was great, and shows she's not afraid to be a little disrespectful in the name of sass, which is a core drag principle in my book. I also loved that, despite the fact that she seemed to be the butt of the harshest jokes, she also laughed the hardest at them. It showed that she doesn't take herself too seriously, and I love a girl who can take it as good as she can give it.

Speaking of taking herself too seriously, I'm not feeling Pearl at all, and I hate that she's feeding into the generational stereotype of needing constant praise. I worry that her suspiciously pointless story arc thus far is only a hint at what shenanigans are to come. The only hope is that Ru doesn't seem to like her.

Ginger is the only one that has been consistent. Ginger and Katya are the only two that I really like. I'm not usually one to say this, but I worry that this season might turn out to be a dud all around.

• Love 3

The one I actually liked a lot more this episode was Violet. Her Internet line was great, and shows she's not afraid to be a little disrespectful in the name of sass, which is a core drag principle in my book.

I honestly don't get the internet line. Was she saying that no one reads fashion magazines anymore, because of the internet? I mean, it's not like you can't read magazines on the internet.

• Love 2
. The chicken thing was cute but it doesn't make her a better drag queen. She's humorless and despite her non-stop talking, she seems to be a charisma void. She also seems to be very dim, and the "I'm just so lost in my head!" thing seemed to be something she heard intelligent but quiet people say, so she copied it. I'm sorry to go at her so hard, because she seems like a nice enough person. I just don't understand what I'm supposed to like about her.

I think it speaks a lot of this season's qweens when we are becoming excited over mediocracy.  I like Fame as well and yeah the chicken thing was funny but is she all of a sudden a talented queen, no?  I haven't seen Untucked yet so maybe I'm missing something there but enh with Fame--I can take her or leave her. 

Which is good for me because the T I've heard is that she is eliminated next week. According to the outfit charts and they've been correct so far.

I honestly don't get the internet line. Was she saying that no one reads fashion magazines anymore, because of the internet? I mean, it's not like you can't read magazines on the internet.

I think,  think, she meant that everybody her age gets their fashion fix from blogs, websites, etc.

Edited by Dirtybubble

Yeah, I just thought the Internet thing was funny because it was kind of a duh, you old person type thing. It reminded me of when people used to say "It's the 90s, girlfriend!"

• Love 1

I know I'm in the minority, but I like Pearl and I have from the first episode. And I did think that their award and the subsequent winner (Katya) was the strongest part of the DESPYs.

Anyway, I'm still liking this season a lot, even if it doesn't have the  same type of energy as before. Max, Katya, Ginger, and Pearl are my top 4.

• Love 3

I will truly miss MKD and wish she would've stayed.  I was looking forward to her in Snatch Game...  She was one of the few that appealed to me in this semi-lackluster season.  Ginger MInj for the win!!  

• Love 1

Of course, it was completely over-shadowed by Katya's bizarre brilliance for her acceptance speech. And she invoked Brooke Hogan! I don't even watch B&B but I know who that 'ho is! (And yes, she was serving Brooke Hogan realness. Brava, Katya! Brava!)

Are you confusing Brooke Hogan with Brooke Logan, the fictional character played by Katherine Kelly Lang on B&B for 30 years? The queens were calling her Brooke HOGAN, Hulk Hogan's daughter of no discernible talent.

After Trixie and Kasha leaving the way they did, it feels like the producers decided that for the first half of the season they were just gonna put names in a hat and decide the elimination order that way. There's no rhyme or reason to anything. I thought I would enjoy this season with two Midwestern queens on the show, but it's been rather lackluster.

I *do* love Miss Fame and that she seems to get weirder and quirkier every episode.

I don't know if it's the contestants being more comfortable but I am glad they are showing their backstories more. It's taken a while. I think Ru picked a lot of serious queens this season, and some introverts, who don't have the obvious, loud appeal like in previous seasons. This season is trying to be more "serious", including with Untucked, but it is just a bit too downbeat. Ru and co. went too much the other way, including how they cast. They didn't want to throw in a Willam or Alyssa in there.

This is an interesting observation. It's not that everyone has to be extroverted and on (!) all the time, but you need some of that to keep things entertaining and the show moving along. At this point, I only think Ginger Minj and Jaidynn have that quality.

• Love 2

I know I'm in the minority, but I like Pearl and I have from the first episode. And I did think that their award and the subsequent winner (Katya) was the strongest part of the DESPYs.

Anyway, I'm still liking this season a lot, even if it doesn't have the  same type of energy as before. Max, Katya, Ginger, and Pearl are my top 4.

I love Pearl.  LOVE!  Her confrontation with Ru was absolutely priceless.  No one has ever gone toe to toe with Ru like that before that I can remember.  Pearl just wasn't going to let it go when Ru said she didn't have a big personality and she called Ru on it.  Ballsy.  Then when Ru was giving her the stare of death, Pearl said "Do I have something on my face?".  I literally fell off my chair laughing. 

I don't really think Ginger is all that great.  She has the same basic look everytime.  Round.  Round hair, big round eyes, round face and round body.  Two words - cinch and contour.

I love Pearl.  LOVE!  Her confrontation with Ru was absolutely priceless.  No one has ever gone toe to toe with Ru like that before that I can remember.  Pearl just wasn't going to let it go when Ru said she didn't have a big personality and she called Ru on it.  Ballsy.  Then when Ru was giving her the stare of death, Pearl said "Do I have something on my face?".  I literally fell off my chair laughing. 

But I felt like Pearl's position was unreasonable. Ru said that Pearl didn't have a large personality (and really, who can argue with that?) and Pearl claimed that Ru said she had no personality. Not the same at all. Pearl was asking to be coddled and Ru just wasn't there for that. I felt like Pearl came off very childish.

• Love 6

I concur, although I'd add in Nina Flowers as a great Puerto Rican queen.

See, while I loved Nina (who doesn't?), I loved Yessica Wild more than Yara "don't it make my brown eyes blue" Sofia.

• Love 2

But I felt like Pearl's position was unreasonable. Ru said that Pearl didn't have a large personality (and really, who can argue with that?) and Pearl claimed that Ru said she had no personality. Not the same at all. Pearl was asking to be coddled and Ru just wasn't there for that. I felt like Pearl came off very childish.

Exactly.  Pearl came out of it looking like a total douchecanoe.  And I didn't buy her win... at all.

• Love 4

I agree that this episode really made Pearl look bad, and Ru not too happy w/him. Pearl only heard what she wanted to.

And I thought Jaidynn - again - got robbed. She was infinitely funnier than Pearl (& Maxx too, I'm sorry to say).

• Love 2

After Trixie and Kasha leaving the way they did, it feels like the producers decided that for the first half of the season they were just gonna put names in a hat and decide the elimination order that way. There's no rhyme or reason to anything. I thought I would enjoy this season with two Midwestern queens on the show, but it's been rather lackluster.

I wouldn't say the eliminations so far are that surprising going with the usual narrative of eliminations on the show. What is more surprising is how bad the editing around them is, usually the show is better at making a BS decision look right or make a boring queen look halfway interesting.

• Love 3

I'm with the recap in that this appears to be a weak set of queens (especially compared to last season, where I thought they had one of the strongest groups ever). At the very least, as a group they don't have the spark and drive the contestants had in seasons past. It is only the fifth episodes and they are all complaining how exhausted they all are and how much they miss home. Where's the bitch who will do anything to win? They are all coasting along in between stepping outside to smoke and cry. Bianca would have not only wiped the floor with them in this challenge, but queens like Bianca and Raven would have chewed all these girls up and spit them out in the workroom.

I'm still not sure about Pearl. I was done with her after she showed her ass during Ru's come to Jesus moment with her, but she did better in the challenge than I expected and helped Max get her second win of the season.

Miss Fame was cracking me up with her chickens, but poor girl still clearly has some really raw wounds close to the surface. I've had one of them laughing/crying mini breakdowns, and it was at a time when I was really stressed out and unhappy.

My favorites are still Ginger, Max and Katya, but none of them have "clear winner" stamped on their foreheads, or even "final three." Katya hasn't quite had her big moment yet, Max is clearly talented but may be too quirky and straight laced (doesn't want to work blue, and I'm not sure she drinks or smokes - I haven't seen her at a smoke & cry, and in this Untucked she made a beeline for the water, not the cocktail). Ginger is strong, but there is some shakiness there too.

• Love 3