Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Conquer

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Here is your episode thread for the SEASON 5 FINALE: Conquer. This thread will open at 10:20 pm Sunday night. Prior to this, please go to the Pre-Air Speculation and Live Chat thread for any discussions on the episode.

Remember to please keep all discussions polite, respectful and spoiler free.

To discuss the episode WITH Comics spoilers, go to: S05.E16: Conquer - Episode Discussion with Comic Spoilers.

For shortforms, go to our Acronym and Nickname thread.

Don't forget!! The season 5 finale is 90 minutes long. That's right, 1.5 hours of Walking Dead goodness, so don't forget to set your DVRs/PVRs accordingly to make sure you don't miss a single second!

And to repeat a little trivia, the episode titles come from this quote:

“...I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire...I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it. Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools.”
                                                                                                    ― William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

I don't know how to feel about Michonne taking that sword back. I'm proud of her, yet I'm also so sad for her. This isn't what she wanted.

I'm just glad they had enough confidence in Michonne and Danai to give her that post-credits scene. She more than earned it.

• Love 23

So Morgan thinks all life is precious, while Rick is all for killing the bad people. These Alexandrians better change soon. There is not much time left.

I am relieved that no one died. I was terrified for my Glenn.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 14

Ok. That was pretty great. Even though I was rooting for Glenn and Sasha to kill their respective villains, I guess I get it. Humanity, etc. Welcome Morgan!!! (ETA: I know this may be more appropriate for TD thread but love Lennie's real accent!)

Wolves Not Far. Like, 50 miles out.

Edited by Samx
  • Love 12

Welcome back, Michonne.

Michonne strapped the katana on again. At least a couple things are right in the world.

And Michonne didn't wonder how Pete got that katana while Carl and the baby were there? And the house is dark and Carl isn't awake saying a guy broke in here?

All isn't right in my world!

• Love 7

So it took the death of Senator Gecko Neck's husband before realizing Rick was right!?  Ain't that always the case?

Father Cray-cray is still alive.  Booooooo!

Morgan is in Alexandria now.   Yaaaaaaaaay!

Daryl and Aaron didn't make out.  Dammit!

Carol is now in full Lady MacBeth mode.  Don't know what to make of this.

And the Wolves are coming.  Hope they have silver bullets.

• Love 9

FPP fought a zombie and laid down crying like a baby, on a muddy road--and his white shirt remained spotless.

Otherwise, the epidose was underwhelming.  

Edit:  I mistakenly called it "epidose"  but I'm leaving it like it is because I needed a dose of something to keep me awake.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 8
Carol is now in full Lady MacBeth mode.  Don't know what to make of this.

She's probably pretty good now that death came to their door. The ASZhats will take a lot less convincing.

• Love 6

Lennie is brittish, Pete killed Reg, Rick killed Pete, Glenn almost killed Nicholas, and nobody killed Gabriel.

The wolved are just 2 guys, and Aaron left them a bagpack full of pics, people included now.

ups and downs, people.

eta: did Deanna tell Rick to go on and shoot, or not to? I couldn't quite hear.

Edited by minamurray78
  • Love 2

I love that Rick came back to himself by the end of this episode. He told my beloved Michonne the truth and it turns out that she was always on his side. Then he decided not to kill Deanna and her group and instead told them that they would have to change.

• Love 13

Oh, goodness, the things I could say about this episode. Everybody who I needed to live lived. People I wanted to die, didn't. All in all, I'm still happy. I felt sorry for Deanna, even though she kind of brought it on herself. If they had separated the wife batterer sooner instead of letting if fester. Good Lord, if Deanna had banished the guy or at least put the man under guard, Reg would be alive.

Normally, I like the elements of forgiveness and humanity, but talk about people who don't deserve it. Father Gabriel and the Dick really needed to die. I guess, though, that's the point of forgiveness. I just hope that forgiveness and compassion doesn't bite them in the ass again.

I like this finale. People I loved didn't die. In fact, best finale ever.

• Love 8

Oh, I don't think the Morgan/Rick reunion is gonna be all roses. Morgan, who is now all "Life is sacred" gets his first glance of Rick in a year - and Rick is blowing away an unarmed man.

• Love 5

No, not really the best finale ever. It was OK.

Morgan on TD. He's British.

A few thoughts:

FPP came back from killing two walkers with a pristine white shirt and got no blood or gore on it?

The Wolves are only those two guys?

A very small group at the Alexandria meeting, I thought there would be more people than that.

• Love 5

Morgan!!! YAY! How the heck did he figure out what was going on at the food factory? Did he just see the walkers attacking the car and conclude that there was someone inside? I fear him and Rick are going to have issues, especially with his thought that all life is precious.

Also, were the guys Morgan left in the car to be found by walkers the same ones who showed up at the food factory at the end of the episode with the guy in the red parka?

Loved the Michonne/Rick scene. Glad he was honest with her and that she made it very clear that she was on his side no matter what. Like some guessed last week she was basically saving Rick from himself when she knocked him the hell out. Glad he recognized this too, before he and her had their honest talk.

When Gabriel said, ‘I’m ready.’ I was thinking I’m ready too, for your ass to die.

I continue to love Glenn. He is beyond badass.

Damn the “W” psychos have Aaron’s bag. So they are most definitely going to be trouble next season.

So Deanna is willing to take action when her family member is hurt or killed, but not when someone in her community experiences the same thing? SMH. I do wonder why she’s the final decision maker. Shouldn’t they have a vote on what should be done instead of her making the final decisions? They are after all trying to build a community.

Now that the wife beating husband is dead, I guess that pretty much guarantees Rick and the wife will be hooking up next season. Zzzz.

This episode had moments that shined, but overall was boring.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 10

This finale had some great moments, but as a whole it was kind of underwhelming. I guess that's what I get for reading press blurbs. I was really hoping Nicholas and/or Father Pee Pants were going to bite it. FPP's finally admitting what he did was too little too late for me. And I know that's just not Glenn, but I wish he would have fed that douche Nicholas to a walker. 

Thrilled, beyond thrilled, to see Morgan back! That dude is a survial badass. And I loved how he and Daryl met, the map, the realization. Great stuff right there. I wanted more from the Rick-Morgan reunion, though. 

And why did Morgan leave those Wolves alive in the back of that car???

Rick and Pete looked so silly in those bandaids - like my kids were playing in the medicine cabinet. 

I loved Rick not hesitating for a second to kill Pete, could care less about the Poor Man's Chevy Chase being killed. And generally a bit disappointed that this frees Jessie up for a whole love story with Rick next season. Not because it's Jessie, just blah...not a fan of love stories. 

"These people are children and children like stories" - Carol for the win! I just love her to pieces. 

Loved Abe and Eugene making up, and also Abe's defense of Rick - "There's a vast ocean of shit you don't know shit about". Ever so eloquent. Rosita's face when Tara woke up was really sweet - wish we got more of that. 

So as many of us spec'd, we'll have to wait until next season to deal with these Wolves, but at least now ASZ has a chance of being prepared.

• Love 14

Oh, I don't think the Morgan/Rick reunion is gonna be all roses. Morgan, who is now all "Life is sacred" gets his first glance of Rick in a year - and Rick is blowing away an unarmed man.

I think Morgan will remember that Rick tried to talk him off the crazy train in Clear and possibly not actually judge him too much here.

• Love 14

I'm underwhelmed. I wanted the hoard or more choas at Alexandria. There were some moments that I freaked out about but I guess I was expecting more.

Loved Eugene with Tara, as well as Abraham and Rosita with Tara. I hated all of them when they first appeared but now, I love their little family unit. I'm so glad Abraham and Eugene made up.

The stuff with Glenn freaked me out. I will be cushed if anything happens to him. I'm glad he didn't kill Nicholas, but I am hoping Nicholas is going to be Walker-Chow sooner rather then later. I feel we were deprived of an awesome scene of Glenn fighting off three walkers for the sake of him jumping out of the woods to get Nicholas, I wish we would have seen him fighting them off.

Loved that Morgan is back. I hope he's long for this world and him and Rick get some scenes.

I hope Sasha and Gabriel are on the mend mentally now. Well, really I just hope Sasha is. Gabriel can be walker chow too.

• Love 4

Oh, goodness, the things I could say about this episode. Everybody who I needed to live lived. People I wanted to die, didn't. All in all, I'm still happy. I felt sorry for Deanna, even though she kind of brought it on herself. If they had separated the wife batterer sooner instead of letting if fester. Good Lord, if Deanna had banished the guy or at least put the man under guard, Reg would be alive.

Probably, but I am a bit torn. Abusive men are the most dangerous when their wives escape their control. Pete would have been dangerous even if she had acted sooner to separate him from Jessie. The only end for Pete was his death.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 10

So Deanna is willing to take action when her family member is hurt or killed, but not when someone in her community experiences the same thing?

I think it was more "pissed off, vengeance" than taking action.

• Love 10

Am I the only one who wanted Rick and Morgan to hug so glad Lennie James has finally found Rick.

Biting my nails scared something was going to happen to Glenn. He is too good of a person I would have shot that asshat in a heartbeat!

Edited by Texasmom1970
  • Love 8