Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Chapter 31

That closing shot of Freddy made me a little teary.  I hope he gets a job and gets his life back. And I hope we see him again in another episode...preferably standing over Frank's body. Of all the despicable things the Underwood's have done, ruining Freddy, his business and his family still ranks as the worst. 

I can't not see "Mickey Doyle" when I saw the author Frank is recruiting to write his biography!  Not sure who'd be worse to work for- Frank Underwood or Nucky Thompson.

• Love 5

That closing shot of Freddy made me a little teary.  I hope he gets a job and gets his life back. And I hope we see him again in another episode...preferably standing over Frank's body. Of all the despicable things the Underwood's have done, ruining Freddy, his business and his family still ranks as the worst.

I, too, would like to see Freddy's life get back on track, but I don't completely blame Frank for what's happened to him. Failing to help someone out of a jam isn't the same as acting against them. He could have helped, he just didn't. 

• Love 4

Really enjoyed this episode. 

Love Kim Dickens. She always bring a warm and reliability to all her roles. And she didn't have to do much to establish her character as competent. I guess Mozhan Marno had conflicts between this and The Blacklist. So the producers just basically did a recast with Dickens taking over as the anti-Zoe Barnes i.e. competent reporter.  

I appreciate the fact that so far Frank's adversities this season don't feel stupid or easily mislead as the first two seasons.  I'm not 100% how much of his maneuvering this episode is actually possible, but at least it doesn't feel as unrealistic as some of his scheming can come across. And you can start to see how Frank could gain traction as a President against a do-nothing Congress. 

• Love 1
So Claire is now taking plays out of LBJ's book?

That scene completely took me out of the episode. LBJ is famous for doing that but I believe he only did it to men who were among his staff. There's much about this show that's absurd but the First Lady of the US taking a dump before the representative of not only a foreign country but one which is arguably one of the US' enemies is beyond the pale. I get that she was trying to put him in his place but she was also opening herself up for ridicule if that little tidbit happens to hit the political whispering circuit. I'm still have a hard time buying Claire being the ambassador to the UN so that scene for me was just icing on the urinal cake.

• Love 4

I, too, would like to see Freddy's life get back on track, but I don't completely blame Frank for what's happened to him. Failing to help someone out of a jam isn't the same as acting against them. He could have helped, he just didn't.

Frank had gone to Freddy's house, and offered to pay his son's bail, but Freddy turned him down. It's one of the only times I recall Frank genuinely trying to help someone.

Can someone kindly explain why Frank is so hell-bent on getting America Works to pass through?  I mean, it's a good idea, but at the expense of so much?

The first episode said that Frank's approval numbers were incredibly low - probably too low for him to win an election. I think Frank thinks that America Works is his only way to improve his approval numbers and stay in power. Unless he invades Yemen or something and wins, but that just risks something going really wrong in Yemen, sending his approval ratings crashing still further.

I think that's also why he and Claire are fighting this battle on two fronts - Middle East peace against the Russian guys, and America Works.

(I'm only up to this episode so I could be wrong.)

• Love 1

I can't not see "Mickey Doyle" when I saw the author Frank is recruiting to write his biography!  Not sure who'd be worse to work for- Frank Underwood or Nucky Thompson.

That's who that guy is! I knew I knew him from somewhere. Thanks for the info. Wow, he's really different in this.

And that gets to why I'm starting to like this season, as of the last episode and this one. Interesting actors are starting to show up (Kim Dickens!), and actors the show already had are being allowed to get interesting. Michael Kelly is much more interesting trying to help "Heather Dunbar" than just limping around his apartment, Elizabeth Marvel is now getting interesting things to do as Heather Dunbar, and I want to give a special shoutout to Derek Cecil, who I think is fascinating and astonishingly believable in all his scenes as Seth Grayson.

Even if the events in the show remain outlandish, at least we're now getting an excellent company of actors to portray the events, and they're selling them.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

The first episode said that Frank's approval numbers were incredibly low - probably too low for him to win an election. I think Frank thinks that America Works is his only way to improve his approval numbers and stay in power. Unless he invades Yemen or something and wins, but that just risks something going really wrong in Yemen, sending his approval ratings crashing still further.

I think that's also why he and Claire are fighting this battle on two fronts - Middle East peace against the Russian guys, and America Works.

(I'm only up to this episode so I could be wrong.)

Thank you!  That makes more sense to me now.  It'll be great to see how Frank continues to strong arm his plan through.

Who neutered this show? This season has so far been overly explain-y and some vital element that made seasons 1 & 2 so compelling is gone. There was an aura of imperviousness about Frank and Claire before. Now they are just horrible, clueless people in way over their heads who make baffling, ill considered decisions. They used to be several steps ahead of everyone else...it is no fun watching them stumble to keep up.

• Love 2
That scene completely took me out of the episode. LBJ is famous for doing that but I believe he only did it to men who were among his staff. There's much about this show that's absurd but the First Lady of the US taking a dump before the representative of not only a foreign country but one which is arguably one of the US' enemies is beyond the pale. I get that she was trying to put him in his place but she was also opening herself up for ridicule if that little tidbit happens to hit the political whispering circuit.

Had she pinched a loaf, she might have earned my respect. But alas, she was only peeing. I know it is mostly because the writers don't really want to write a scene where Robin Wright takes a shit. But honestly, I don't think Claire would have been able to pull the trigger on that, so to speak. Mostly because the look on Robin Wright's face throughout the series, where she seems to be trying to portray a steely, silent seriousness, is in fact the result of her being incredibly constipated. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 1