Type keyword(s) to search

Kill La Kill - General Discussion

• Start Topic

And, dude, do you just look for semordnilaps out of habit or what? :-)

It's a learned behavior. After watching a lot of subtitled anime, especially the various seasons of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, I've come to expect wordplay (including types that you can't even do in a western alphabet) in anime, especially when there's a high humor content. Looking for drawkcab spelling comes naturally when that's in the back of your mind.

Some examples of the sort of wordplay I'm talking about:

• At one point in Bleach Ichigo is seen wearing a t-shirt with "1-2-3" on it. In Japanese that can be pronounced "Ichi-ni-san", which is the same as "Ichi niisan" or "brother Ichi." Presumably it was a gift from his sisters.
  • Also from Bleach; an antagonist sticks a sign on Zangetsu which spells out the name with different characters that are a pun on the name, which translate as "leftover ass."
  • In Soul Eater, Lord Death's phone number is 42-42-564, which is pronounced exactly the same as "death-death-kill."
  • The eponymous character's name in Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei looks like it spells out "despair" when the characters are laid out horizontally and squished together.

Now I wish I'd watched Ouran with your commentary. It's supposedly loaded with puns and wordplay like that. I get some of the jokes and visual humor, but the rest fly over my head. Tvtropes.org had some listed, but they were scattered last time I checked.

I went to AnimeNEXT today. Saw a KLK panel. Turns out the anime is deep as all hell; sadly, in the heat and walking I did, I forgot most of it. There's references to old Japanese writing, archetypes, and all sorts of stuff. Oh, and I got spoiled on a few things. The rest of the anime should be interesting to watch.

ETA: The guy running the panel also showed this AMV set to Lady Gaga. Apparently, the con it was originally intended for disqualified It for showing too many butts. Oh, and there might be spoilers.

ETA2: I was spoiled on Ragyō Kiryūin bitch-slapping her daughter . . . okay, the one she knew about. And I was spoiled on Ryuko being the lost daughter. But damn, that was some jarring anime right there. Ragyō would probably qualify as a monster even if she didn't come back from decapitation. Y'all think Gendo Ikari checks under his bed to make sure Ragyō isn't there?

I'm commuting to an anime con. I got KLK reference material for sketches. So far, I got Nonon and Uzu.

ETA: Got Ryuko and Gamagori today.

ETA2: And I just realized that Senketsu isn't really visible in the Ryuko sketch. My bad for not pointing that out. Should I get another Ryuko sketch? Maybe just Senketsu?

We get a month's timeskip, with clothing swallowing people and Satsuki's people forced to team with Nudist Beach. Also, Satsuki is held prisoner by her mother, and I think spanking is involved. Not that hot . . . more icky and bad-touchy. We find out that Soichiro faked his death and became Ryuko's father. Oh, and Ryuko doesn't want to wear Senketsu anyone, what with being a freak who had her heart pulled out and all. Also: more Mako/Ira shipping! I'm willing to bet Mako can work magic on the restraint fetishist.

(edited)

Naked Homeroom Teacher sure has a lot of shiny...bits...doesn't he? Guess the Sun really does shine out of there. Or maybe Moonlight would be a more appropriate term...

Since Ryuko is partly made from Life Fibers, doesn't that mean she'll be vulnerable to the various anti-Life Fiber weapons?

What was that I saw written on the door of the Nudist Beach hideout? Something like "Feel the wind of freedom on the nipples of your heart", I think. Only saw it for a second.

Nice to see that Mako's brother is wearing real clothes again. His painted-on outfit was pretty much gone by the end of the previous episode.

It's good that Sukuyo and Senketsu get along so well, because he'll need a shoulder to cry on now that Ryuko hates him.

Edited by Sandman87

Ep. 18 – Into the Night

Turns out the anime is deep as all hell...

The ideas and artistic homages are certainly deep, but it’s just too bad that the execution is so…tiresome and misogynistic. I don’t want or expect Kill la Kill to be serious; I do want it to not be teen rebellion cliché with a side of plot, fanservice, plot, fanservice, plot, plot, plot. And there’s so much talking and exposition in ep. 18 that, regardless of how interesting the ideas are, it becomes monotonous. They talked so long here, I literally forgot there was a battle. Poor writing, to say the least.

Things that amused me:

• All of Mako’s souvenirs are food.
  • Satsuki’s shoulder pads are made for impaling.
  • Wearing her daughter’s clothing makes the mom (Ragyo) more evil.

Bonus points for baby-flushing. Don’t see that very often.

We get a month's timeskip...

Wait, they talked for a month?! That’s worse than I thought. Oh, you mean later…

Ep. 19 - Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head

It’s raining…men’s suits. And it’s almost an army of Saturday Night Fever suits. Too bad they didn’t stick to the iconography. I wondered if the white suits transforming into harp shapes was a reference to something.

Only one thing amused me here: Mako’s mom’s eyes drifted penis-ward whenever Nudist Beach were in the room.

The clichéd dialogue got on my nerves, otherwise, and the groping and spanking…let’s call it what it was: sexual abuse. And it just makes my point about the show's poor choices. See, ep. 19 had really interesting ideas about humans rejecting God (Ryuko, at the end, denouncing Senketsu) and girls rejecting their parents’/abusers’ legacies (both Satsuki and Ryuko) and yet it was wrapped in the very titillation the show thinks it’s subverting.

OK, I’m bringing the room down, so I’ll stop there.

As far as I can see the show is all about fanservice and fight scenes and costumes. It's good that there's plot and shout-outs and symbolism sometimes, but I think those are purely incidental to moving things along to the next near-naked fight scene with flashy costumes.

Heh. That's a good summation of it actually, Sandman87. There's a fair amount of analysis that argues Kill la Kill is subverting ecchi by trying to out-ecchi the ecchi genre. But I don't really see the subversion or appropriation. I see crotch close-ups played for laughs, which is in no way new or different.

I have seen an ecchi anime that subverts romantic comedy and ecchi tropes, BTW: B Gata H Kei

Lantern7, there are various articles and interviews outlining KLK's themes, references, homages to classic fight scenes, etc. Perhaps some of it is in them? Most are brimming with spoilers though, which is why I've avoided linking.

Oh, I just discovered the Big List of Pop Culture References in KLK. Posting it since it's only for episodes 1-14.

I should be more squicked out than I am, shouldn't I? I mean, one of the main female protagonists (Satsuki) runs around naked after freeing herself from bare-ass captivity, while her sister Ryuko is basically mindraped into putting on Junketsu, getting a new set of memories with her now-doting mother. I should be showering off the grime, but I'm all, "Hey, they're wearing each other's kamuis! Great way to end the episode!"

You know things are strained between Ryuko and Senketsu when even Mako's "Hallelujah" speeches are ineffective.

Damn, that was a bloody ending to the episode. Almost takes way from the opening visual of Ryuko, Ragyo and Nui buck nekkid laying next to each other. Holy crap . . . even with all the uniform swapping and friendship speeches from Mako, it couldn't take away from the ickiness of the first scene.

• Love 1

Blah blah blah..."Snap out of it Ryuko"...blah blah..."Clothing will wear everyone!"...blah blah..."I'm Satsuki and I'm too awesome to lose!"...blah blah blah..."Tee-hee! Aren't I a cute and annoying bad guy?"...blah blah.

Latest episode? Not as disturbing as last week, even with Nui losing her arms. And apparently, loping off her arms really pisses her off. On the bright side, Satsuki shows off her apologetic side, and she and Ryuko get bitchin' side-by-side kamui transformation sequences. Oh, and I'm guessing all the club presidents will be getting their Goku Uniforms back, if Mako's Fight Club outfit is any indication.

"You're on the clock, so pick a bad guy and start sucking!" Best out-of-context line ever.

If someone ever makes me dinner and tells me that it has "mysterious things" in it, I'm not eating it.

• Love 1

I really liked that episode - from Satsuki actually managing a bow, to the sisters' double kamui powerup, to Mako's triumphant return as Fight Club president.

Anybody spot that earlier in the ep, after handing off Senketsu, Mako had her uniform on, but upside down?

Killed some time catching up…
----------------
Ep. 20 - Far from the Madding Crowd

“Are you going to fight me or talk my ears off?” Talk, definitely talk. Every character should be earless by now. And, gawd, there was so much yelling blame and yelling character propping, and yelling…whatever.

Ryuko certainly has a penchant for stupid-looking motorcycles. She’s stolen how many now?

ckqDrOXl.jpg

----------------
Ep 21 – Incomplete

I guess this is the Satsuki vs. Ryuko girlfight that the show was been leading to, but it’s just too formulaic for me to find it interesting. And everyone kept overexplaining their actions while they were fighting. I can’t stand sports announcers—maybe this is why I was also unimpressed by it all.

I’m still surprised that the show managed to come up with an actual rationale for the stripper clothes on teenagers, though: thongs minimize contact between the lifefibers and Ryuko and Satsuki, which makes the kamuis less harmful to them. It fits, as an explanation, but also *eyeroll*.

Mako usually functions as the Greek chorus character in Kill la Kill, but in ep. 21, I noticed that Annoying Eyepatch Girl also seems to fill that role. She keeps popping up to recap prior events, she meta comments, making fun of the characters and show, and she keeps reminding Ryuko, etc. what their motivation is supposed to be. Or maybe she’s Mako’s Greek chorus: “Thank God, what a pest” is how she responds after Mako finishes one of her own Greek chorus moments, and she was indeed the audience-surrogate in that moment.

(edited)

Ep. 22 - Tell Me How You Feel

“She was gonna make the Earth wear a sweater?” When you say the “epic,” apocalyptic, evil plan out loud like that, it really does sound dumb. At least it made me laugh.

I liked Satsuki's coat, though it contradicted the rest of the 'rebeling against clothes' plot. There seem to be exceptions for coats and labcoats.

Were the kamuis always able to fly? With rockets in the shoes?

The hands down funniest thing in the entire series so far, to me at least, was the internal scene of Mako crashing Ryuko's 'wedding' when the door handle shot off and clocked the groom.

Yeah, that was hysterical. That it was a church doorhandle hitting him made it funnier somehow, IMO. Ryuko’s groom in her delusion is a…lifefiber bloodclot, yarn ball, what? Creepy, either way.

Edited by weyrbunny

Loved the analysis of Mako's power level. By herself, her power levels were at "0000" across the board. With her kamui, the levels were all "9999"...except for her head, which was still at "0000."

What Mako lacks in brains, she makes up for in guts. Oh, and she's wearing a Goku Uniform, not a kamui. [/nitpick]

Man, there is a lot to process. Short story: the good guys (and gals) win an important battle, but then Ragyo and Nui hijack the end credits and make threats that will be backed up in the next episode. In other news, Ragyo sews up some new arms for Nui, and Uzu gets his eyes unstitched. And more croquettes with "mystery meat" are consumed.

ETA: While looking up screencaps for a motivational poster, I noticed that next week's episode will be the last. I'll say this much . . . at least the anime hasn't been dull.

I guess the final episode (#25) is technically an OVA, but story-wise, it’s just the next episode. So, too bad Toonami didn’t pony up/secure it, whatever.

--------------
Ep 23 – Imitation Gold

So the big ball of evil lifefiber’s mouth is flower-shaped on the outside and sarlacc teeth on the inside? Huh.

Actually some beautiful artwork here. I think I was able to appreciate the art for once because the ep used still images and slow scrolls in certain scenes, instead of the usual frenzied, frantic, blood-shower editing.

r8Dhcz8l.jpg

“We’re like a big naked sitting duck out here”—funny line, but I couldn’t stop myself from thinking about whether or not ducks are always naked. Except Donald Duck.

Like mother, like daughter: the ease with which Ragyo out-plans Satsuki and Ryuko is pretty repetitive of all the times when Satsuki out-planned and out-maneuvered the rest of the characters. Still wish they’d come up with something more original.

Well, that was . . . unique. And Japanese. And a bit phallic. And I think Ragyo had her first (and only) orgasm.

I reckon KLK works on its own, but I wouldn't mind any follow-up beyond Ryuko/Mako/Satsuki's "date." Seriously, how does mankind cope with waking up naked? I'd be scarred for life after seeing so much naked flesh. Also: just as well Ragyo and Nui perished. What kind of life could they have after committing crimes against humanity? Hell, what court would try them?

Finally . . . here's something I found a while back on Cheezburger.

Naked Home-Room Teacher is worried about being left there with their "asses hanging out"? I'm pretty sure he had that covered when he climbed into that "bend over and moon the world" suit of his.

When everyone ran to catch Ryuko, they all had Barbie doll anatomy...except for the dog. Make your own joke about Guts' doggie bone here.

The "date" at the end was the best part. They got Satsuki to cut her hair! And she was blushing at one point!

Edited by Sandman87

Ep. 24 - Past the Infinite Darkness

I suppose it’s fitting that the battle is won with yelling, since there’s been so very much of it in this series. The climactic fight was so inevitable and so easily resolved that I kept losing interest, actually. My mind wandered when Ryuko put on every goku, because it reminded me of that Friends episode…the “I’m wearing everything you own” scene.

Also, I just didn’t find the flaming phallus that exploded white liquid from the tip with a popping noise (aka the “ginormous rubber sock”; oh, Mako, so naïve) funny this time.

I did laugh at “Thank, God. I miss my pants.”

----------
Ep. 25 - Goodbye Again

Of course there’s a doomsday device under the academy. Because everything has to happen at a high school. The focus on Satsuki is nice, though, after she was a bit peripheral to the finale fight. Otherwise, this ep. was just more giant outfit and giant weapon fetishizing that fill the screen with explosions of visual noise but don’t amount to much.

I snickered when big scissors fell from space, because it reminded me of GunXSword. GunXSword isn’t a great show, but the giant sword falling from space is one of its highlights.

I’m realizing that Kill la Kill was definitely funnier the first time. I like it less now, having re-watched it for the subtext. BTW, this is the best summation of the debate over Kill la Kill that I’ve found:

Edited by weyrbunny

Last night's rerun had a line that I missed first time around: "I'm surrounded by people who care (about me), and they're all batshit crazy!" That could be a line from just about any anime with humorous content ever made.

Airsof

On 3/31/2015 at 7:02 PM, Sandman87 said:

Airsoft is a type of paintball-like gun (without the paint) for people who want to have less messy wargames. They originated in Japan. I had some friends who were Airsoft enthusiasts.

The dog's name is Guts! Every time I hear the name, I expect him to transform into a one-eyed bruiser whose sword has a blade the size of a coffee table.

I've got to hand it to this show; it's definitely an Equal Opportunity Fanservice anime. Everyone ends up approximately naked about twice per episode.

Airsoft is not just a war game, if you ever play that game you can really feel that you are really participating in the war. we usually play world war 2. Here also we have some war game addicts. I use to play as Sniper. I use Airsoft guns from mach1airsoft.com.

10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

The crossover you never knew you wanted . . . Kill La Wabbit.

On Saturday, August 01, 2015 at 0:05 PM, weyrbunny said:

“We’re like a big naked sitting duck out here”

More like "a big, naked Daffy Duck." If they had switched a couple of the characters around it could have been Kill Le Pew. And naturally Pepe is shown here as the Naked Teacher Guy.

BTW, who's the WB character at the top middle of that picture? Must have been created some time after I stopped watching their cartoons.

A few months ago, I went to a library-based show and saw an artist I hit up last year. She was selling prints, including one with the Big Four. So I wound up getting this sketch of Inumuta from her, since I had the other three. More of an impulse thing for me at the time. I don't think of the anime these days. I would be up for getting Satsuki and Momo. Dunno if I'd go for Ragyo. She's frightening, and I'd have to spring for color just for her hair.