Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E19: Beyond Borders

• Start Topic

I'd love to see the spinoff team faced with durian fruit. That would be hilarious. The stuff tastes like a mixture of mint and onions, has a very mushy texture, and has a very strong unpleasant odor.

Btw, Taco Bell is about to experiment with delivering. I had a friend visit from the UK and he'd never had Mexican food before. He loved it. But I think there is Indian food in the UK and there is no Indian food in my area.

• Love 3

I'd love to see the spinoff team faced with durian fruit. That would be hilarious. The stuff tastes like a mixture of mint and onions, has a very mushy texture, and has a very strong unpleasant odor.

Btw, Taco Bell is about to experiment with delivering. I had a friend visit from the UK and he'd never had Mexican food before. He loved it. But I think there is Indian food in the UK and there is no Indian food in my area.

Oh yes there certainly is Indian food in the UK - it goes back to when we had an empire. Even our national dish is chicken tikka masala. I live in a very small country market town and there are at least 5 Indian restaurants which all do takeaway. But Mexican  is far rarer and I would have to travel a long way to find a Mexican restaurant, Sorry for being off topic.

• Love 4

You can introduce a character in a short amount of time, and not make them super amazing awesome perfect wow at everything they touch.  I prefer realism.  Give them one or two traits which recommend them or make them interesting, and let the rest be average, or you're pushing past the point where real people can relate. 

This is Mary Sue.  She's 25.  She is the best damned detective who ever worked in Las Vegas, ever in the history of ever!  She graduated top of her class in all subjects ever taught.  She's lived in twelve countries, she speaks ten languages, and she's worked as a cop, an Air Force pilot, a model, and a super-secret  undercover spy for the CIA, all before she was 25!  She was recruited by the FBI because OMG how could they possibly survive without someone so awesome?!  She's six foot tall, with waist-length blonde hair, and eyes the same shade of blue as a summer storm over Kansas farmlands.   Every man she meets is in love with her instantly.  Every woman who dislikes her is a Plain-Jane jealous hater.  Mary is a martial arts expert, a language expert, a decorated marksman, a computer hacker, a great cook, a terrific wife, the perfect mommy who reads to her children every night regardless of where she is at their bedtime.  She's a vegetarian, and she's an animal rights activist.  She runs marathons on weekends to keep in shape.  She kickboxes too!  She wears $2,000 business suits and six-inch wedge heels.   Her nickname is The Valkyrie.  It's her secret CIA codename too, because she's working for the FBI and the CIA both.  And she's still a model.

Okay, maybe that second example is a wee bit over-the-top, but that's how these new spinoff characters come across to me.  There's nothing average or normal about them.  Even their average is far above average.  It's not interesting if you don't see a character struggle to overcome.  If you know they will always win, where's the drama?  If they are already perfect, what is there to strive for?  There's no joy for me in watching pretty perfect people clear every case simply by virtue of their awesomeness.

Wow.

At one point I swear I though you were describing JJ 2.0...

• Love 5

I have to say one good thing about CM, even with the current writers, is that they haven't been showing males everywhere just falling all over JJ and acting like she's the hottest thing they've ever seen. They did that on a few other shows with female characters that I didn't even think were all that good-looking.

I just hope that don't go and do that now.

• Love 1

They didn't make JJ out to be the hottest thing ever physically speaking, but honestly, when she returned in season 7, I can't count the number of scenes that were wasted with two characters talking about how awesome she had become now that she was a profiler, or one character telling her how awesome she had become and praising her for her amazing skillz, or two characters telling her how awesome she had become.  I feel like they created Mateo Cruz simply for the purpose of telling us how awesome JJ had become.  

• Love 5

I love to write, but I'd never make it in Hollywood. I have very thin skin. The rejection would crush me. Thanks, though.

Now I want to drop Bob into a book, and follow his story. And I want tacos. :)

I'm a writer too, and Bob is brilliant. Can we share Bob? :)

I might also drop “Mary Sue” into a story (if you'd let me), make her arrogant and have her superior shuttle her to missions of increasing danger just so no one has to see her around the offices. There'd be plenty of opportunity for comedic fodder there.

Oh, spinner, trying to stay on-topic! Good kitty…. yeah, I bet Spencer would have a lot to say about the food cultures they would encounter.

I could totally picture Reid inviting the team to try this dish in a foreign land, have them start eating it before developing a devious grin. The team would enjoy it before someone like Morgan would start to think, “what's the catch?” and ask Reid about it.

It'd be here that Reid would explain their delectable dish is something like “tiger brains” or something equally disgusting and the team would think about losing their lunch, if they hadn't done so already, with Reid smiling and having that good internal laugh he always has in these situations.

• Love 3

Help yourself, Daniel!  :)  I was just using Bob and Mary Sue as extreme examples. 

The talk of tiger brains reminds me of that scene in Corazon, where Reid's having headaches, and someone asks if he's all right, and Reid says he's doing much better than the goat head on the table. 

• Love 5

I like chicken livers, too!

I feel like I would have to watch a "real" episode of Beyond Borders to really get a feel for what these characters are and how they're going to handle the cases before making a judgement about this show.