Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: The Time Is At Hand

• Start Topic

While Elizabeth seeks a diplomatic solution to a doomsday cult in Bolivia, a congressman attempting to negotiate with its leader is taken hostage. Meanwhile, Elizabeth and Henry meet Stevie’s much older boyfriend.

This episode had some fantastic quotes, especially from Russell. "Anyone else think he shouldn't drink the tea?" Made me laugh pretty hard.

Way too much Stevie though. She irritated me much more than usual.

Arm Candy was great though.

• Love 8

It is of course absolutely preposterous that Lt. Col. Dr. Arm Candy, PhD, Esq, RDN, LCSW, CPA would just so happen to have the relevant skillset and the admiration of the cult leader such that the government would risk sending him into the compound to try to free the cult members. As if a suicidal apocalyptic cult leader would have studied the writings of a Georgetown professor. But Tim Daly is just so darn likable that I'm willing to roll with it anyway. I was also surprised that they actually had that one daughter die. That's definitely not standard operating procedure for network TV shows. I liked that not everything worked out for the best for everyone, though. 

Stevie was annoying, but she was annoying in an understandable way. I think Madam Secretary had it right. Stevie is trying to stretch her wings, and she's doing it by pulling some distance from her dad. Dating her much older boss is a terrible idea, but hopefully it won't turn out too badly for her. As long as the show doesn't push her storyline over the much more interesting international hijinx, I'm fine with it.

• Love 5

Stevie might have at least tried to see how it would be weird for Arm Candy and then try to live through the (hopefully temporary) awkwardness. But no, she has to provoke and instigate an argument.

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 1

Stevie was annoying, but she was annoying in an understandable way. I think Madam Secretary had it right. Stevie is trying to stretch her wings, and she's doing it by pulling some distance from her dad. Dating her much older boss is a terrible idea, but hopefully it won't turn out too badly for her. As long as the show doesn't push her storyline over the much more interesting international hijinx, I'm fine with it.

Okay, so I wonder.  If you work basically for free, is it less of a problem pissing your boss off by banging her hot 20 year old daughter?

• Love 2

I suppose you could argue he isn't working for free, but for the satisfaction of doing the job.  in either case you'd have to weigh the possible loss of the job/income against how hot the 20 year old daughter was.  In this case, seeing who the boss/parent was, the possible loss could extend to long-term employment opportunities as well.

Frankly, Stevie ain't all that hot!

Although, I must say that Arthur Van Winkle doesn't seem to be interested in a quick bang. 

• Love 1

This episode had some fantastic quotes, especially from Russell. "Anyone else think he shouldn't drink the tea?" Made me laugh pretty hard.

YES. And I guffawed at Bess: "Soo..should we order Chinese?" hahahahahahahahahaha

Blake is the best.

• Love 5

The whole grilling of Stevie's boss/boyfriend was pretty comic gold. I cracked up when Bess and Henry both pulled faces at each other when Stevie wasn't looking. It could have been too broad and slapstick but ended up looking about right. I really admire how well the show portrays the family dynamics. Individual family members may be annoying, but they all as if they've known each other all their lives instead of just being actors who met a few months ago.

• Love 10

It is of course absolutely preposterous that Lt. Col. Dr. Arm Candy, PhD, Esq, RDN, LCSW, CPA would just so happen to have the relevant skillset and the admiration of the cult leader such that the government would risk sending him into the compound to try to free the cult members.

This sums up my problem with this episode. Unlike you, it stretched my imagination so far I couldn't even really the episode, despite some of the comedic aspects of it. 

I guess TD was promised a certain few episodes each season (IF this makes it for more than one season) where he gets highlighted as a character but, boy, I found this entire scenario so beyond belief.  

I'm not a big TD fan - don't dislike him, but don't like him - I find him excruciatingly bland and dull in everything I've seen him in - so, he's nice but blah - to me.

Stevie is just doing young person stuff - and part of that (as I well remember) is saying and doing things that piss off the folks - I left home at 18 and did not ever move back in so my folks had zero chance to do that kind of crap to me once I was out the door.  I never find it amusing - I find it tiresome that the parents feel a need to put the guy (or gal) through these stupid paces as if it is going to accomplish much of anything.  Invite them over, sure but that scene - ugh.

Can we rid of the Annoying Dog Guy? I mean, he was fine last week but this week he's just obnoxious and useless. What's the point of him verbally abusing Matt, if this storyline went absolutely nowhere anyway? Also, we need more Jay instead. I like Jay.

And while we're at it, ADG should take Stevie with him. Of course, she choses to date her greasy 39-year-old boss! Of course! it's a teenage rebellion against her father! Her parents are terrible and GMO will destroy the world! She's a moron, plain and simple. On the other hand, I appreciate the fact the other children, actual teenagers, don't act like Stevie does.

I liked the Henry subplot, despite it's being very outlandish. I liked dynamic between him and Elizabeth, I like the religious debate. I liked a lot that entire thing was mostly a Pyrrhic victory. Oh, and I liked Russel the best. Gotta love Russel. His snark and his genuine concern for Henry were ones of the highlights of the episode.

IF this makes it for more than one season

It was renewed for second season in January.

Edited by CooperTV

I liked the episode a lot overall, mostly for the comedy aspects, but please, please, please do not take us down the pill-addict path with Elizabeth.  How many times have we seen a character pull the bottle of pills out of a pocket, gaze at it with concern? anxiety? longing? and then re-pocket it, only for said bottle to reappear next episode as the character's downfall?  Please, I'm begging, please no.  The show has been so extremely good in its second half, I don't want a tired repeat scenario like this.  

• Love 4

I guess TD was promised a certain few episodes each season (IF this makes it for more than one season) 

Google "Madam Secretary Ratings".  They're huge (at least for broadcast TV in this decade). Okay, I'll save you the time.  The show has been getting a season long average of 12.24 million viewers per episode.

The show is something of a smash hit.  As a point of comparison, "Scandal" (you've heard of that, right?) averages at 9.63 million over the current season.  Or another point of comparison: the current season of Survivor is averaging (so far) 9.66 million viewers.

Even Fox's "Empire", which we've all heard trumpeted like it was the second coming/savior of broadcast 1 hour dramas only got 12.97 million as a season average.  So "Madame Secretary" is quietly only BARELY performing under the level of a media magnet/sensation like that.

So yeah. It was renewed. In like a heartbeat.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I liked the episode a lot overall, mostly for the comedy aspects, but please, please, please do not take us down the pill-addict path with Elizabeth. 

She's supposed to take those pills, though. It was specifically stated in the beginning of the episode by Henry that she refuses to take the anti-anxiety pills (for her PTSD therapy course, I assume) and she really should.

• Love 1

She's supposed to take those pills, though. It was specifically stated in the beginning of the episode by Henry that she refuses to take the anti-anxiety pills (for her PTSD therapy course, I assume) and she really should.

Thank goodness.  I missed that part, obviously.  Thanks for clarifying!

Just because she's supposed to take them, that doesn't mean she can't get addicted down the road. They're probably benzos, which can definitely be addictive.
But yeah, I think her looking at the bottle was debating whether or not to take them, because she really didn't want to have to need them.

• Love 2

This episode very much felt like filler to me.  It wasn't terrible. It wasn't great. It was just filler.

Can we rid of the Annoying Dog Guy?

Oh dear god, yes!  When Matt said "Oh, I thought you were talking to your dog..." I had a momentary frisson, hoping that Dog Guy was about to have his ass handed to him.  alas, Matt promptly reverted to wimp...

Just because she's supposed to take them, that doesn't mean she can't get addicted down the road. They're probably benzos, which can definitely be addictive.

But yeah, I think her looking at the bottle was debating whether or not to take them, because she really didn't want to have to need them.

I was under impression the writers wanted to show she's still experiencing the symptoms she started to manifest in the last episode, and that's the healing (and the treatment of PTSD) is a process. They can go with the addiction plot, sure. But for what purpose?

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 1

With the exception of Stevie's story line, I loved this episode. This show just gets better with each episode as we get to know the characters better. Used to hate Russell, but loving him now. "Anyone else think he shouldn't drink the tea" was gold.

• Love 2

Russell is being used better and has more sides to his personality,  but I did note that the show STILL has him giving direct orders to the Secretary of State.  I know it's a convenience so they don't have to drag her to the Oval Office set and use an even more expensive actor, but it's lame because Russell rarely to never couches his statements in terms of "the President wants"  or "The President ordered", it's usually just "we have to", followed by him giving an order (which thankfully Elizabeth at least argues with now).

Well, I guess that's me told!  I never said I didn't want it to be renewed or didn't think it would be, I just simply didn't know so said "IF" - wow.  I don't look at ratings or info on renewals, etc - 

Anyway, I'm glad it will be back.  It's the only new show I've liked this year.  

... please, please, please do not take us down the pill-addict path with Elizabeth.  How many times have we seen a character pull the bottle of pills out of a pocket, gaze at it with concern? anxiety? longing? and then re-pocket it, only for said bottle to reappear next episode as the character's downfall?  Please, I'm begging, please no....

I did get a Chekhov's pill bottle vibe from that scene, but more like it would fall out of her pocket and wind up on the nightly news cycle.

It is of course absolutely preposterous that Lt. Col. Dr. Arm Candy, PhD, Esq, RDN, LCSW, CPA would just so happen to have the relevant skillset and the admiration of the cult leader such that the government would risk sending him into the compound to try to free the cult members. As if a suicidal apocalyptic cult leader would have studied the writings of a Georgetown professor. But Tim Daly is just so darn likable that I'm willing to roll with it anyway....

I thought the writers did a good job of folding in the skill sets they'd already imbued him with.

Religious scholar? Check. Vetted for covert operations? Check. Navy Seal take-down maneuver knowledge and experience? Check.

I bet at one point they had him flying himself onto a remote airstrip in a prop plane but decided that was too much for the audience to swallow.

• Love 4

I was under impression the writers wanted to show she's still experiencing the symptoms she started to manifest in the last episode, and that's the healing (and the treatment of PTSD) is a process. They can go with the addiction plot, sure. But for what purpose?

Oh I totally agree - I don't necessarily think they're setting up an addiction plot, nor do I want to see one. I just meant that the fact that she's supposed to take the pills doesn't automatically mean that they're not going that route.

I did get a Chekhov's pill bottle vibe from that scene, but more like it would fall out of her pocket and wind up on the nightly news cycle.

I was worried about that too - when she tossed her coat on the chair I definitely expected the pills to fall out and a) not be there when she did need them or b) be found by someone who Bess wouldn't want to see them.

Somewhat off-topic, but I was actually quite glad to see the return of the Canada Goose jacket. Not that the company really needs the product placement, but it annoyed me that the coat first showed up when she visited Canada.

Google "Madam Secretary Ratings".  They're huge (at least for broadcast TV in this decade). Okay, I'll save you the time.  The show has been getting a season long average of 12.24 million viewers per episode.

The show is something of a smash hit.  As a point of comparison, "Scandal" (you've heard of that, right?) averages at 9.63 million over the current season.  Or another point of comparison: the current season of Survivor is averaging (so far) 9.66 million viewers.

Even Fox's "Empire", which we've all heard trumpeted like it was the second coming/savior of broadcast 1 hour dramas only got 12.97 million as a season average.  So "Madame Secretary" is quietly only BARELY performing under the level of a media magnet/sensation like that.

So yeah. It was renewed. In like a heartbeat.

It was renewed and I am happy about it but how many people who watch it is less important than how it does in the demo and this show skews old I believe so renewal was not so much a guarantee. While Madam Secretary may get the same number or more total viewers, Scandal and Empire get Much more demo viewers (ages 18-54 or something) and that counts more to advertisers so it counts more in renewal.

The show has improved over time, except for the addition of Stevie, and I'm beginning to wonder what Cliffhanger the will leave us with. 

I don't mind Stevie, but I can barely tolerate episodes where Tim Daly literally saves the world. I wouldn't mind if that character goes away.

I too hate Annoying Dog Guy. I don't get why he has been added to the show. If they want someone other than Elizabeth to mock the staff, why not just have Neuwirth just do it? She's been sidelined while his presence is expanded.

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 2

It was renewed and I am happy about it but how many people who watch it is less important than how it does in the demo and this show skews old I believe so renewal was not so much a guarantee. While Madam Secretary may get the same number or more total viewers, Scandal and Empire get Much more demo viewers (ages 18-54 or something) and that counts more to advertisers so it counts more in renewal.

That "demo is most important for renewal" logic is definitely important--especially to justify the continuing broadcast of shows with lower ratings.  But 12 million+ viewers is 12 million+ viewers.  You don't NOT renew a show that's getting more viewers than virtually every other show currently on broadcast TV.  Scandal and Empire may indeed be more attractive to many types of advertisers because they skew young.  But there are other classes of advertisers with goods that aren't youth skewed that will be just fine with more eyes seeing them.

Pure numbers also still seem to matter for network prestige.  If a network can boast they have the most watched drama on TV, they will. Madam Secretary misses that boast by a bit, but if CBS can also assemble some larger claim that they have the most watched network on a certain night, or even overall for the whole week, with Madam Secretary a big anchor weighing that down, then that's certainly going to help their shows get advertised, and renewed.

• Love 1

Tim is adorable, but I much prefer him as Lt. Col. Dr. Prof. Daredevil Negotiator Arm Candy, to cliche dad giving your daughter's inappropriate date the once over. Oh, Lt. Col. Dr. Prof. Arm Candy and Madame Secretary of State--you crazy kids and your everyday parent problems! You're just like us! Because it's so hard to identify with a Religious Zealot Whisperer or Mme. Fourth in Line for the Presidency.

• Love 1

I'm guessing she was given either Klonopin or Ativan for her PTSD - most likely a pill to take as needed to stop anxiety.

• Love 1

I'm guessing she was given either Klonopin or Ativan for her PTSD - most likely a pill to take as needed to stop anxiety.

Risperdal is also very effectively prescribed "off label" by doctors for anxiety. It is officially prescribed for schizophrenia. It would be a great drug for plot development.
  • Love 1

Regarding ratings and demographics - I have no numbers to back it up, but I really liked Harry's Law (also CBS??), which I think had good ratings, was first in its time slot, but not in the "prime" (younger) demographic, thus was cancelled.  Loved that show.

• Love 1

A bunch of idiots decide to off themselves.  In a foreign country, no less, so the clean-up falls to someone else.  Now, think Darwinian Selection.  Isn't it counterproductive to try and stop them? 

It was renewed and I am happy about it but how many people who watch it is less important than how it does in the demo and this show skews old I believe so renewal was not so much a guarantee.

Longmire.

I too hate Annoying Dog Guy. I don't get why he has been added to the show. If they want someone other than Elizabeth to mock the staff, why not just have Neuwirth just do it? She's been sidelined while his presence is expanded.

I can not understand what his function is.  Either as a plot-device or as a state department employee.  He doesn't appear that much, and when he does it is only to wave the "asshole" flag.  He has to be a producer's boyfriend or something.  I know that the show has greatly improved in the later episodes, and he is also a late arrival, but there is no connection between the two.  (The show hasn't improved because of his presence.)  So, WTF?

• Love 3

Regarding ratings and demographics - I have no numbers to back it up, but I really liked Harry's Law (also CBS??), which I think had good ratings, was first in its time slot, but not in the "prime" (younger) demographic, thus was cancelled.  Loved that show.

Harry's Law got an 11.65m average in its first season (on NBC not CBS), but in it's Season 2 fell to 8.92m (and looking week by week, it was only that high as an average because of a few really high rated episodes, but most of them were in the 7.x million range).  Which is STILL not a horrid number, but if we're really set to compare Madam Secretary to Harry's Law, then comparing their first seasons (where Harry's Law DID get renewed based on pure total viewership) is the more fair and accurate comparison.

Ergo, if Madam Secretary bleeds out 4-4.5 million viewers next season and what's left has no young viewers?  Sure. It could indeed be toast at that point (despite 8.x million still being a fairly healthy overall rating these days for broadcast TV--even moreso now, in fact, than 4 years ago when Harry's Law faced this situation).  Of course, it's also two different networks, and several years of leadership apart even if it wasn't, so who knows for sure?

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
I can not understand what his function is.  Either as a plot-device or as a state department employee.  He doesn't appear that much, and when he does it is only to wave the "asshole" flag.  He has to be a producer's boyfriend or something.  I know that the show has greatly improved in the later episodes, and he is also a late arrival, but there is no connection between the two.  (The show hasn't improved because of his presence.)  So, WTF?

I've had this idea that ADG is basically a Malcolm Tucker (The Thick of It) but from the dollar store. A complete asshole who is there to bollocking poor staff. Except ADG is not funny and he isn't intense enough to pull that off. And this show is definitely not a political satire to have a character like that in the middle of everything for no reason.

Edited by CooperTV

Risperdal is also very effectively prescribed "off label" by doctors for anxiety. It is officially prescribed for schizophrenia. It would be a great drug for plot development.

Yeah. However, I sincerely doubt that a doctor would prescribe the Secretary of State a medication for an off-label purpose - they wouldn't want to face the potential liability if something goes wrong,

Also risperidone really isn't an appropriate first choice for her, off-label or not.

The way the media/society are nowadays, any hint of any mental illness or psychiatric medication would blow up into a huge issue - never mind that millions of people take benzos and SSRIs every year. An antipsychotic such as risperidone isn't necessary if they want to do that storyline.

I really hope they don't make this into a big thing in the media. I'm fine seeing Bess deal with PTSD, but I really don't want to see her get crucified in the media for it.

I guess I just hope that they stay away from stereotypes. Someone can have PTSD and get treated and end up able to function well and do their job well, especially if it's treated and dealt with early.

• Love 1

Yeah, I was really just thinking the risperidone for anxiety would make an interesting plot for a COTW guest star politician--probably better on SVU or some other show.

What I'd really like to see here is a single scene of Bess getting some cognitive behavioral therapy followed with a few brief mentions of her dealing with the PTSD and not needing the meds, but having them just in case.

When Matt said "Oh, I thought you were talking to your dog..."

That, along with Russell's tea comment, was my favorite line of the episode.

I don't have trouble believing that a religious zealot has read Henry's writings. I would imagine a religious guy may have read many things; he just reads them with a zealot mindframe (which isn't good). I could even believe they'd be okay sending Henry in, given his past experience with NSA and other government agencies. What I struggle with is that they didn't seem to have a Plan B, or Plan C or D. The entire op hinged on Henry to talk the guy out of it and save the world, which is too much to put on one person to handle. They didn't seem to have contingency plans for Henry to try. The whole thing was rushed to save the idiot congressman who thought he knew better.

Something that tickled me about this episode: I kept watching the scene between Matt and his buddy who wanted to write a profile about him, and it was driving me crazy because I felt like I should know who his buddy was (the actor who played him). His eyes and his face and his voice were very very familiar to me, it was going to bug me all night if I didn't figure out who he was. And suddenly it dawned on me... it's Frankie Alvarez from HBO's Looking. I just didn't recognize him because on that show he always has a beard and I've never seen a picture of him without it. I was completely thrown by his fresh face. Marvelous.

I liked this episode, had a nice touch of comedy to it.  But I couldn't help but compare Elizabeth's recent mission - goes to a foreign country in hopes of saving a bunch of people, her life is in danger, and ending up with people dying - with Henry's recent mission - goes to a foreign country in hopes of saving a bunch of people, his life is in danger, and ending up with people dying.  In both instances they could blame themselves for the deaths (not that everyone would blame them, but they may still feel guilt over the outcome."  In both cases there were children involved (though is Henry's story the child was older).  Both times involved moments where viewers (their family members and co-workers - viewers a thome knew that neither would die). were not sure if they survived. One notable differences was that Elizabeth was close to the people who died, while Henry was not.  But the situations were quite similar. 

Now Elizabeth has PTSD and is being treated for anxiety attacks. Is Henry going to also suffer from PTSD or, being the superhuman that he is, just shake it off? In Henry's case, he could even interpret the deaths being due to him botching the assignment, although had he not gone, they all would have died anyway. 

I can't remember who was arguing with Elizabeth, but the guy stormed out of her office and right before it went to commercial, she pushed her glasses back up on her face with her middle finger. It was almost as if she were flipping the guy off but in that ever so "subtle" way. I wondered if it were a conscious choice on Téa's part to do that. It made me laugh.

Now Elizabeth has PTSD and is being treated for anxiety attacks. Is Henry going to also suffer from PTSD or, being the superhuman that he is, just shake it off?

PTSD is so fashionable these days.  You only need to get a bad haircut and bingo!  You've got PTSD!

• Love 1

PTSD is so fashionable these days.  You only need to get a bad haircut and bingo!  You've got PTSD!

Hey! I get bad haircut PTSD!

But, yeah, regarding:

...Now Elizabeth has PTSD and is being treated for anxiety attacks. Is Henry going to also suffer from PTSD or, being the superhuman that he is, just shake it off?...

If they don't give him PTSD, isn't that going to look kind of 1950s sexist?

But, yeah, regarding:If they don't give him PTSD, isn't that going to look kind of 1950s sexist?

Russel has PTSD and isn't afraid to admit it. Henry was fighter jet pilot, I'm sure he already had his fair share of issues beforehand and probably had therapy as well.

• Love 1

Russel has PTSD and isn't afraid to admit it. Henry was fighter jet pilot, I'm sure he already had his fair share of issues beforehand and probably had therapy as well.

True, but Elizabeth was in the CIA and probably had witnessed some PTSD-worthy things (like a co-worker with a bad haircut).  

• Love 1