Type keyword(s) to search

RW: San Francisco (1994)

• Start Topic

I became Facebook friends with Judd a few weeks ago. Today is his birthday . . . and I forgot that on this day 23 years ago, he met Pam for the first time. Damn, I feel so old. I mean, he's older, but that seems like forever ago.

• Love 1
On 8/28/2016 at 1:17 PM, snarts said:

I wonder if Rachel regrets her tattoo?

Teared up a few times yesterday watching.  So happy about the state of HIV/AIDS treatment today, so sad that Pedro (& Sean) didn't make it.

Once again, I kept checking Twitter to see if any of the old cast members surfaced/acknowledged the marathon, only saw Judd.  Anyone have updates on Cory, Jo, Mohammed?

Based on many of Rachel's social media posts, I'm wondering if she's regretting a lot of things...

Cory is married with two children. The last that I heard, she was working as an English Teacher. She's remained quite close to Judd and Pam. 

Mohammad still lives in San Francisco and has a pre-teen son. He's working for a production company as a producer, filmmaker and musician. You can find him on Twitter, but he does not post much about himself or his personal life. I didn't know Mohammad had any children until I watched a recent interview with Judd.

Anything in regards to Jo is a mystery. It just seems like she had a meltdown on Gauntlet 2, and then disappeared...

A random note, at the time of Sean Sasser's passing, I learned that he got remarried. I remember seeing ads featuring him and his husband on the streets of San Francisco for the AIDS Walk five years ago. 

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 3

I understand that there are disagreements in regards to which season was better between Season One and Season Three. We each have our preferences (as noted in 2008 when Austin won for best season - something that I still scratch my head over. That's just me).

I felt that the first three seasons were the best. That's probably based on nostalgia for me. New York was great as it had an innocence about it, being the first reality show before that was even a thing. Seven people living together in front of the cameras, not knowing what they were getting into. Were they doing it to get national attention? Maybe. But we had seven people that were pursuing their ambitions and passions even before they agreed to do the show. Eric (wanting to be a model) Heather (was part of a somewhat well-known duo, but was trying to make it solo) Norman (Artist) Andre (in a Rock band) Becky (in a band) Kevin (poet and writer) and Julie (who was hoping to be a dancer, and get on Broadway).

Even though it was much more real than the recent seasons, Julie said that the producers tried to create stories that were not true. Like her and Eric's "love story" teaser, when she said that they both just friends. I also read that the Producers tried to play her up as (probably because she was Southern and came from a Christian home) as a homophobic and racist when that obviously was not the case. I'll admit, I did find her asking Heather if she was a drug dealer because she had a pager ignorant, but I could have read it wrong.

We saw more major changes with San Francisco. And yes there were some slight changes with Los Angeles because everyone (with the exception of Aaron, Irene, Beth Anthony and maybe Dominic) was trying to get into the entertainment industry. Beth S. (Actress), John (Country singer, even though he barely did anything to make that happen while in LA) David (comedian) and Tami (girl group). Glen did have his band, but they seemed kind of random compared to the other RW cast members trying to get into the entertainment industry. I'm not sure why Beth A was cast. I read that producers were looking for someone that was getting married, and that's how Irene got on the show.

But anyway, back to San Fran. (Sorry for the long post regarding the first two seasons.)  This was my favourite season because I felt that it was the realist.

You had Pedro that dedicated the time he had left on AIDS education. 

Puck who was just an asshole, but didn't pretend to be any different.

Cory who I think was her first time being away from home and family, experience life and people away from the comfort of the bubble she was raised in. Naive, insecure, but sweet.

Pam, the overachiever and at times the house mama.

Rachel the Republican-Conservative with a rebellious streak. 

Judd the "bed-wetting" Liberal (his own words) cartoonists looking to do something with his work. 

Mohammad the cool calm and collected poet and musician. 

I was around eleven or twelve when San Francisco aired, at that young of age, I believed that AIDS was an instant death sentence. I thought you could catch it very easily which many people also thought. But Pedro (along with Magic Johnson and Ryan White) humanized AIDS. You had the other roommates (namely Rachel) adjusting to living with someone that had AIDS. You had moments where we saw a very vulnerable side with Pedro during the moments where he seemed very weak. You had the personality conflicts between Puck and Pedro and eventually between Puck and the entire cast.

I would have liked to see more of Pam and her work (I enjoyed watching her work with the homeless) but I guess that didn't make fore good TV. I guess that was not as interesting as Eric get down and dirty with a lovely model for a photo shoot. As others said, Even though Pam didn't bring any drama, she took no crap. Especially during that scene where she handled Puck by saying, "I'm disappointed in you too Puck. Gotta go. Bye." Then click. 

Cory being away from home in the first time and learning some new things while in San Fran (which is what the Real World is about, partially). I'm sure she was intrigued by Puck because he probably was not like anyone she had been exposed to. 

I was pretty mixed on Judd. Even now as I re-watched Season Three. There were times that I thought that he was an okay guy, and then I had moments where I was thinking, "Oh dear, shut up!" Especially when he was complaining about Rachel and Jo. I'm with another poster, I think that it was because he was into Rachel but Rachel was clearly not into him.

Puck, as annoying and disgusting as he was, he made for good TV. Which is why I believe the producers kept him on even though he was kicked out of the house.

I liked Mohammad even though we didn't see much of him. I liked his calm and spiritual demeanor. Not to get racial, but as an African American myself, it was refreshing to see Mohammad who went against the stereotype that society has on African-Americans, where the previous cast members, David (LA) and Kevin (NY) sadly perpetuated it. Kevin was very intelligent, but he did get the angry edit. I would read that Becky mentioned that her argument with Kevin was edited to look more extreme than it actually was.

That's all I can think of now. I'll have to add more when I get home from work. 

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I'm not sure why Beth A was cast

Beth A worked in the entertainment industry as well.  She was a production assistant and a scenic artist and had a craft services business for a while that operated on film sets.  She lives in Hawaii now.  I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that she has at least one kid, maybe more now.

Edited by Decider
On 12/7/2018 at 4:38 PM, giaNtsandYankees said:

I understand that there are disagreements in regards to which season was better between Season One and Season Three. We each have our preferences (as noted in 2008 when Austin won for best season - something that I still scratch my head over. That's just me).

I felt that the first three seasons were the best. That's probably based on nostalgia for me. New York was great as it had an innocence about it, being the first reality show before that was even a thing. Seven people living together in front of the cameras, not knowing what they were getting into. Were they doing it to get national attention? Maybe. But we had seven people that were pursuing their ambitions and passions even before they agreed to do the show. Eric (wanting to be a model) Heather (was part of a somewhat well-known duo, but was trying to make it solo) Norman (Artist) Andre (in a Rock band) Becky (in a band) Kevin (poet and writer) and Julie (who was hoping to be a dancer, and get on Broadway).

Even though it was much more real than the recent seasons, Julie said that the producers tried to create stories that were not true. Like her and Eric's "love story" teaser, when she said that they both just friends. I also read that the Producers tried to play her up as (probably because she was Southern and came from a Christian home) as a homophobic and racist when that obviously was not the case. I'll admit, I did find her asking Heather if she was a drug dealer because she had a pager ignorant, but I could have read it wrong.

We saw more major changes with San Francisco. And yes there were some slight changes with Los Angeles because everyone (with the exception of Aaron, Irene, Beth Anthony and maybe Dominic) was trying to get into the entertainment industry. Beth S. (Actress), John (Country singer, even though he barely did anything to make that happen while in LA) David (comedian) and Tami (girl group). Glen did have his band, but they seemed kind of random compared to the other RW cast members trying to get into the entertainment industry. I'm not sure why Beth A was cast. I read that producers were looking for someone that was getting married, and that's how Irene got on the show.

But anyway, back to San Fran. (Sorry for the long post regarding the first two seasons.)  This was my favourite season because I felt that it was the realist.

Cory who I think was her first time being away from home and family, experience life and people away from the comfort of the bubble she was raised in. Naive, insecure, but sweet.

Judd the "bed-wetting" Liberal (his own words) cartoonists looking to do something with his work. 

I was around eleven or twelve when San Francisco aired, at that young of age, I believed that AIDS was an instant death sentence. I thought you could catch it very easily which many people also thought. But Pedro (along with Magic Johnson and Ryan White) humanized AIDS. You had the other roommates (namely Rachel) adjusting to living with someone that had AIDS. You had moments where we saw a very vulnerable side with Pedro during the moments where he seemed very weak. You had the personality conflicts between Puck and Pedro and eventually between Puck and the entire cast.

I would have liked to see more of Pam and her work (I enjoyed watching her work with the homeless) but I guess that didn't make fore good TV. I guess that was not as interesting as Eric get down and dirty with a lovely model for a photo shoot. As others said, Even though Pam didn't bring any drama, she took no crap. Especially during that scene where she handled Puck by saying, "I'm disappointed in you too Puck. Gotta go. Bye." Then click. 

Cory being away from home in the first time and learning some new things while in San Fran (which is what the Real World is about, partially). I'm sure she was intrigued by Puck because he probably was not like anyone she had been exposed to. 

I was pretty mixed on Judd. Even now as I re-watched Season Three. There were times that I thought that he was an okay guy, and then I had moments where I was thinking, "Oh dear, shut up!" Especially when he was complaining about Rachel and Jo. I'm with another poster, I think that it was because he was into Rachel but Rachel was clearly not into him.

Puck, as annoying and disgusting as he was, he made for good TV. Which is why I believe the producers kept him on even though he was kicked out of the house.

I liked Mohammad even though we didn't see much of him. I liked his calm and spiritual demeanor. Not to get racial, but as an African American myself, it was refreshing to see Mohammad who went against the stereotype that society has on African-Americans, where the previous cast members, David (LA) and Kevin (NY) sadly perpetuated it. Kevin was very intelligent, but he did get the angry edit. I would read that Becky mentioned that her argument with Kevin was edited to look more extreme than it actually was.

That's all I can think of now. I'll have to add more when I get home from work. 

Another great, beautifully written post from you! I wish I had more time to sit and write about this. 

I used to buy all the Real World books MTV kept putting out back then. I wish I still had them. One talked about the Becky/Kevin argument's editing and I remember feeling kind of sick. Like, wait that wasn't real? And reading the interviews in the books that changed the way I saw certain cast members. I wish Kevin's intelligence and wit had been allowed to shine. 

• Love 3
On 12/26/2018 at 3:44 PM, giaNtsandYankees said:

Thank you, @LemonSoda! I appreciate it. 

I'm with you, I wish Kevin's intelligence was highlighted, but I guess MTV wanted drama. Even though I preferred the earlier seasons, it does seem that MTV wanted to create characters for some cast members through the editing. 

Re-watching it all as an adult, I definitely notice the character editing. I also see a lot of cast members differently than I did when the show aired. While it was all a much more organic experience than what it became the editors certainly had fun with scissors. 

• Love 1
On 12/7/2018 at 4:38 PM, giaNtsandYankees said:

I agree about this season feeling the most "real". I was 16 when it aired, and I remember watching these people (sans Puck) and thinking, wow, this is how young adults really live. This is how I want to be as an adult. I've always felt that watching this season really influenced how I tried to live my life for the rest of high school and college. I wanted to emulate their lives and demeanor...everyone just seemed so grown up and mature to me, again with the exception of Puck. This is the cast that I still identify the most with.

• Love 4

I liked Kevin (original NY), but he's someone I think I'd have enjoyed being around more a few years later. I think he got frustrated sometimes that he couldn't get his points across, and then he would get angry and people would take him the wrong way.

He seemed a lot more "chill" on reunions. I really enjoyed listening to him, Kameelah, and Neil (London) just sitting around shooting the breeze during that mega-reunion they did in 2001.

Those Real World polls about the best season usually tilted toward something people had seen recently. At some point, inevitably, they had a young audience that had joined somewhere in progress. Maybe Las Vegas, Austin or Key West was just everything to them. People started thinking of it as the show you went on first so you could do The Challenge. I'm sure to some of that audience, the early seasons would look quaint and slow-paced, if they could even find them.

• Love 2

@Asp Burger - I agree that Kevin would've enjoyed The Real World more a few years after Season One. Maybe probably around Seasons's Three or Four (but he would've been 28-29 at the time, and we know The Real World has an age limit when it comes to casting). I've only seen the first reunion once, when they were airing the earlier seasons of The Real World and Road Rules on Fox and The WB in the early 2000's - and I agree he was mellow there, also on the 10 Year Anniversary Special/Mega Reunion as you described it. 

Even though I agree that Kevin would have enjoyed The Real World more in a few years, a part of me thought that he did benefit from being on the first one. I've read a few of Kevin's books (which I highly recommend; Kevin is a spectacular writer) and he noted that seeing how he was on The Real World lead him to wanting to change for the better. My brother met him (that's where I started reading Kevin's books, my brother has an autographed copy of one of them) and he said that the Kevin that he met was a far cry from the Kevin you saw on The Real World. 

I also agree with you regarding The Real World polls, and the younger audiences preferences. The younger audiences at the time probably caught The Real World with its "new format", and loved it. I was ten when The First Real World first aired, but didn't really watch it until I was twelve. Luckily, MTV ran marathons of the first two seasons so I could catch up on them. At that age, I found it quite intriguing, and watched (as long as the house had cable) up until Las Vegas. As I mentioned in the Chicago thread, I aged out of The Real World. I missed it when cast mates chased after their ambitions and interests (Seasons One through Four) or when interpersonal relationships were explored and built (Heather and Julie -NY, Tami, John and Beth - LA), when there was a lot of learning involved and experience to be gained - examples, Julie (NY/S1) gaining experience, Jon (LA/S2) meeting people he wouldn't otherwise have met in Owensboro Kentucky, and Coral and Malik educating Mike (B2NY/S10) on Black History, and opening his mind beyond the stereotypes he was (probably) taught prior to joining Season 10.

Now it's all about clubbing, getting drunk, hooking up and fighting. I guess The Real World's current audience eats it up. For me, it's a hard pill to swallow.

On another note, things in society have changed quite a bit since the early ninety's. Homosexuality is not a big of "taboo (for lack of a better word)" as it was in the early 90's when you had Dan and his family (Miami/S5) talking about him coming out, and Dan's brother being a little freaked out when he met Dan's quasi-boyfriend Artie. Pedro talking about being afraid to show open affection to Sean out of fear of being a victim of a hate crime. Norman just living his life. This was all new to catch back in the 90's. And with more information about AIDS, I guess that doesn't make for an educational topic as it did in Season Three. So in a way, I can understand things changing for The Real World, I just can't get with it because I can watch hook ups, clubbing and over-dramatic bickering for but so long. I guess I'm a little "too old" for it. *chuckles*

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 3

I recall reading in one of the numerous Real World Books released in the 90s that Rachel and Pam went to a demostration by the Golden Gate Bridge together.. and even briefly got detained for protesting.. but that the show opted to not air it because it didn't fit with the narrative they were going for.  I do think Pam's busy schedule, plus being so chill and low key, were the reasons why she was hardly shown... though Judd's 'This is your Life' surprise for Pam's birthday really hit home to everyone that he had a massive crush on Pam (and Rachel's attempts at keeping Pam out at coffee for three hours before the surprise was comical, as well).

I do recall Rachel's mom having an adverse reaction when she saw pics of Puck... it was comical.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

(and Rachel's attempts at keeping Pam out at coffee for three hours before the surprise was comical, as well).

As I recall, coffee was what Judd tried to drill into Rachel's head as the thing to keep Pam occupied, and Rachel botched it by taking her to their neighbors' house. "Pam hates our neighbors!" (over a shot of Pam looking bored at the neighbors' house). I did find that hilarious. I wonder how those neighbors felt if they watched the season.  

For some reason, they zoomed in on a picture of Mohammed when Mrs. Campos threw the pictures down and said something about "this trash." I personally don't think her issue was a racial one, given what she had just been saying about Rachel's (white or Latina) female friends who visited her in SF. She struck me as more classist and socially conservative than anything.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I did find that hilarious. I wonder how those neighbors felt if they watched the season.

Given the neighborhood I wanted to know their ages, occupations and what they talked about with them.

• Love 1

"Pam hates our neighbours!" lol. I wonder what happened (since nothing was aired or revealed) for that to happen.

I also caught Judd's obvious crush on Pam when he did that cheesy "This is your life!" And how he was hopping down the stairs as Pam was running down them to get to her (then) boyfriend.

There was a scene I remember seeing when I first watched this season. It was when Pedro was giving his talk at (I believe) Stamford University, and Pam and Judd came in for support. There was one scene where Pam and Judd were sitting together, followed by another scene where Pam was leaning her head against Judd's shoulder and Judd was leaning his head against hers. It was then where I thought, "Those two are going to get together (even though Pam had a boyfriend that she has been with for nearly a decade)." When it was revealed on the 1995 Reunion, I was not surprised in the slightest. 

Pam was one of my favourites. Watching the show as a twelve-year-old, I wanted to be like her. Intelligent, achiever, mature, chill and taking no crap! 

I agree with Rachel's mother being classist and socially conservative. Uber-conservative, even.  I read somewhere that Rachel was pregnant with her first child before she (quickly) married Sean Duffy.  I wonder if her mother pushed for it. Not asking to be rude, I'm just curious. Obviously they were (and still are) very much in love because after many years (and eight kids) later, they're still together. 

Looking at a lot of Rachel's social media posts, it seems like she's almost, ALMOST has taken after her mother. 

On 1/18/2019 at 9:30 AM, giaNtsandYankees said:

I agree with Rachel's mother being classist and socially conservative. Uber-conservative, even.  I read somewhere that Rachel was pregnant with her first child before she (quickly) married Sean Duffy.  I wonder if her mother pushed for it. Not asking to be rude, I'm just curious. Obviously they were (and still are) very much in love because after many years (and eight kids) later, they're still together. 

Rachel got pregnant for the first time while she was auditioning to replace Debbie Matenopoulos on The View

I am currently rewatching SF for the first time in years. I used to find Cory annoying, but I find her interesting this time around. Now that I am older Pedro just really impresses me. The fact he came on with a clear mission because he was dying. 

• Love 4
On 8/27/2016 at 4:29 PM, Sister Havana said:

I'm watching the marathon and they just showed a scene where Pedro asks Rachel "You don't want to have kids?" and Rachel responds "I want to have kids, I just don't want to be pregnant." Eight children later, I'm pretty sure she's changed her mind on that. : )

Yeah, each time we hear of Rachel and Sean having yet ANOTHER kid, I flash back to that conversation! Would be interested to see what her tattoo and her "navel sticker" look like now, after 9 kids...though, then again she and her asshole GOP husband can surely afford cosmetic surgery.

Midseason replacement Jo Rhodes tells all about RWSF and beyond. Her brief time shooting The Gauntlet sounds disturbing, but we knew that. She claims Ruthie (Real World Hawaii) assaulted her and it wasn't shown. 

She misremembers her season as being in 1995. Mike was right the first time.

Edited by Asp Burger
(edited)

Last night I watched an early episode in which they were all mostly getting along.  The only big conflict was between Rachel and Mohammed. She had come back from some local Republican conference all flush with excitement and tried to tell everyone about Jack Kemp's ideas for poor people in the projects to buy their own houses, and Mohammed shouted down the Kemp plan as ridiculous and unrealistic.  

At one point, Puck starts trying to articulate a position that all politicians, regardless of party, will be ineffective in solving problems, but he doesn't get very far, because he calls the then-current President "George Clinton." Ha! I think he legitimately thought that was the right name. (George Clinton did make a lot of awesome music.) 

Edited by Asp Burger

I watched the new Pedro documentary it was $10 to stream.

https://watch.eventive.org/sfdocfest2022/play/626d8a83d2fe13004ca89482?m=1

Rachel, Cory, Mohammed, Judd and Pam are all interviewed. As someone who was to young to watch Real World San Francisco when it aired I find it amazing how much of an impact Pedro had. 

I found this old interview he did after the show, but before he got really really sick. 

https://www.poz.com/article/Pedro-Leaves-Us-Breathless-16140-1022

• Love 1
15 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I watched the new Pedro documentary it was $10 to stream.

https://watch.eventive.org/sfdocfest2022/play/626d8a83d2fe13004ca89482?m=1

Rachel, Cory, Mohammed, Judd and Pam are all interviewed. As someone who was to young to watch Real World San Francisco when it aired I find it amazing how much of an impact Pedro had. 

What I find so fascinating/wonderful about this is that it's a group of current college students who put together the film. They wouldn't have even been born when the SF season aired. Definitely a lasting impact.

5 hours ago, shantown said:

What I find so fascinating/wonderful about this is that it's a group of current college students who put together the film. They wouldn't have even been born when the SF season aired. Definitely a lasting impact.

Same! I think Jon Murray is involved in Mizzou Journalism so maybe it was his idea? But either way I think its awesome that they put this together and it's really well done. Even the Rachel interviews are pretty good.  I can't stand her now, but I found Rachel fascinating on Real World SF. 

I re-watched this season recently, too (unfortunately, the cut version, so terrible replacement music and shortened scenes), and it was painful to watch how Cory fell right into Puck's trap again and again.  (Rachel was an idiot about him, too, but I don't care about her, because she doesn't care about other people.*)  Cory was the perfect target, and I love Stephanie (Mohammed's girlfriend) pointing out his behavior was abusive.  That is not something properly understood now, let alone back when this took place.

*Witness, for example, her sitting there in all seriousness declaring that because Pedro is the one with the disease, he should have come to her and made sure she's comfortable.  Her mom is absolutely warped, living in a reality of her own miserable, judgmental making, and marinated her kids in that, but there's something about Rachel that made it hard for me to feel for her at the time, and I certainly can't knowing what she turned into.  It's interesting, because at the end of the Boston season, I thought there was some hope for Sean, but at the end of this one I just knew Rachel was never going to change.

• Like 1
On 2/7/2024 at 7:37 PM, Bastet said:

I re-watched this season recently, too (unfortunately, the cut version, so terrible replacement music and shortened scenes), and it was painful to watch how Cory fell right into Puck's trap again and again.  (Rachel was an idiot about him, too, but I don't care about her, because she doesn't care about other people.*)  Cory was the perfect target, and I love Stephanie (Mohammed's girlfriend) pointing out his behavior was abusive.  That is not something properly understood now, let alone back when this took place.

*Witness, for example, her sitting there in all seriousness declaring that because Pedro is the one with the disease, he should have come to her and made sure she's comfortable.  Her mom is absolutely warped, living in a reality of her own miserable, judgmental making, and marinated her kids in that, but there's something about Rachel that made it hard for me to feel for her at the time, and I certainly can't knowing what she turned into.  It's interesting, because at the end of the Boston season, I thought there was some hope for Sean, but at the end of this one I just knew Rachel was never going to change.

Cory and Rachel were both ideal targets for different reasons, Cory's self esteem was fragile and she was struggling to fit in anywhere, and Rachel had just enough arrogance to think she was special to be "chosen" by him.

By far, Pam was the ultimate Puck kryptonite, she didn't give his nonsense a bit of oxygen. That's much more impressive to me upon rewatch as an adult because Puck really had manipulation down to an art, particularly toward women, and it takes a strong sense of self to block that out. Especially for 20-somethings who are still trying to figure themselves out. 

• Like 3
On 2/9/2024 at 5:57 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Cory and Rachel were both ideal targets for different reasons, Cory's self esteem was fragile and she was struggling to fit in anywhere, and Rachel had just enough arrogance to think she was special to be "chosen" by him.

Rachel's one redeeming quality to me was when Puck was bullying Cory over something, and Cory was being gaslit enough to think maybe Puck was right and Cory was somehow in the wrong, and Rachel pipes up from the other room that Puck isn't being fair, and Puck actually backed down and apologized. (well, as much as he 'apologizes' anyways). I remember watching it shortly after it aired in the mid 90s and thinking if Puck was bullying Rachel the same way, no way would Cory stand up for her and risk her status with Puck. Several times Rachel and Cory would agree to confront Puck about something together, and then Cory would almost immediately back down and leave Rachel holding the bag. I know Cory was more sympathetic than Rachel (not hard) but I never liked her much.