Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Episode Five

Carter and Aubry are reunited after his release, but she convinces him to make a run for Canada to keep him from facing trial and a possibility of the death penalty. Meanwhile, Mark tells Barb about his fiancée after Matt's funeral in Oakland; and Alonzo tries to repair his relationship with Tony.

Christ.  This is the most depressing show I've ever watched in my entire life.  The news is cheerier than this shit.  Have you ever seen an unhappier, more miserable group of people?  I have no one to care about, no one to root for, I just want it to stop.  Damn.

• Love 18
(edited)

Soooooo, these people talk about getting out of lockup and how they don't want to go back, but they are all actively doing all the things that would get them placed under the jail? Really?

Hector. Hector and Aliyah. They are the saving grace for this show.

See, Hector knows. He doesn't want to be in prison in Mexico. He doesn't want to be in prison in Modesto. He doesn't want to be in prison with a fox. He doesn't want to be in prison with a box. He knows!

My heart breaks for Aliyah. On so many levels. Even if she weren't a Nation of Islam convert, just as a black woman, she would find it depressing to see not only a black man, but her black brother throw his life away TWICE over this out of control, yes, white junkie. I know it is hurting her on all sorts of levels and it isn't even about a hatred of whites, but confusion and pain over what seems like a hatred of being black and black women by her brother.

Not to mention that she put her reputation, relationships and MONEY on the line for this sorry dude!!!

You really gonna go back to the house of a man that you pistol whipped? Beyond that being stupid beyond stupid, but was also willing to take a butt whipping that you were going to have to explain to your sister in less than 12 hours? For a junkie?

And I love people like Barb. "Oh, I didn't mean ALL of those people, I'm sure your Negro is acceptable. She's been trained by the U.S. Army, yeah, yeah. Yeah."

Did I not say that Tony is an absolute idiot? He should've never dialed that number. Did he not have any friends before getting locked up? He couldn't call any of them to hang out? Does he not watch TV? He didn't know that Edgar was reeling him in? Come on, kid!!!

Let me say, I have no problem with people with addictions. Carter has an addiction, but had enough sober days to see that his addiction to drugs wasn't strong enough to counter his aversion to prison. He'll still struggle, but he actually acted like he knew how out of control his life had become, but Aubry is simply a junkie that wants to be a junkie. She spent every sober minute hating everyone that wanted the best for her and trying to figure out how to live a life of eternal prostitution and I guess, becoming a serial killer in Vietnam when putting out wouldn't have been enough to feed the habit.

But, yeah, I'll be back next week, because I have to see how this is going to be (not) wrapped up and I love to hate this show.

Edited by Kendall
  • Love 14
(edited)

I seriously don't think I'll be back next week. I might but it doesn't look it. It's a real slog getting through an episode, this one more than most. 

Edited by Boundary

I think Aliyah is on to something with her devil lady talk. What a shit show that Aubry is (was?). Just great decisions all around tonight. I wonder what the city of Modesto thinks of this show. Oh, and since Gwen is awake, how about having a conversation as to what she knows or doesn't know.  Are we just going to drift further and further from the central plot? I haven't hate watched a show this hard since Under the Dome.

• Love 6

I think Aliyah is on to something with her devil lady talk. What a shit show that Aubry is (was?). Just great decisions all around tonight. I wonder what the city of Modesto thinks of this show. Oh, and since Gwen is awake, how about having a conversation as to what she knows or doesn't know.  Are we just going to drift further and further from the central plot? I haven't hate watched a show this hard since Under the Dome.

I was cheering when it looked like Aubry was dead.  Please let it be so.  Again, with the jumpy editing.  It so distracting.

• Love 4

Christ.  This is the most depressing show I've ever watched in my entire life.  The news is cheerier than this shit.  Have you ever seen an unhappier, more miserable group of people?  I have no one to care about, no one to root for, I just want it to stop.  Damn.

That's why with shows like this, I try to rank who I hate from most to least, or at least have a Top 5.

Aubry's No. 1 on the list, so I'm pretty happy right now (as much as I hate Barb, I hate Aubry and her entitled, junkie throat slashing BS much, much more; I even hate her name)

Of course, this show will probably shatter my dreams and have Aubry live.

But at least for a week, I can be happy.

• Love 9
What a shit show that Aubry is (was?). Just great decisions all around tonight. I wonder what the city of Modesto thinks of this show.

I knew that Aubry was going to survive. The ones that should die tend to somehow survive.

http://www.news10.net/story/news/local/modesto/2015/03/13/modesto-residents-review-abc-hit-series-american-crime/70257468/

The Modesto citizens aren't too happy, but get that its a TV SHOW! I've been in the plaza where they interviewed the guy. It's located next to City Hall. You could tell they spent some redevelopment money there. It was a nice area.

Preach, Kendall, preach!Love all of your comments, and agree for the most part, being a glutton for Hutton. I have to keep watching this show. Please let Dagny be wrong, and Aubrey be dead. She is a monster, who brings everyone down with her, what a selfish beyotch, ugghhhh, die, Aubrey, die.

• Love 2

I think that Aubrey killed Barb and Russ's son.  Sorry, can't remember his name.

I want Aubrey to live so that Carter (as dumb as he is) doesn't go to jail for three murders.  Barb's head will explode when she finds out a white girl did it.  She's so sure that "The black guy" did it.

Also glad that 2nd son won't introduce her to his fiance.

• Love 4

I think that Aubrey killed Barb and Russ's son.  Sorry, can't remember his name.

I've wondered this for a while now, and after this episode, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. Unless Gwen killed him before she was attacked.

• Love 1

I knew what the reactions on Aubrey will be, but i still like her. I must be only one. She is a wonderfull trainwreck. I like how the show is giving her and Castor such romantic vibe, while their relationship is an absolute disaster. I even think i might stop watching if she is dead, because i sort of want for her  to get better. Its the main thing for me too root for. For her to get clean and connect with her seemingly perfectly fine loving family members.

What i do not like are latino characters, so badly done with the exception of the sister, who is a rare symphatetic character on this show, but her r******* brother and self-hating father are the ones i can not stand. Hector is bit better but not so much. He is still very shallow character, a gangster, who dont want be a gangster anymore, that all we know about him. Both storylines are really boring for me and compared to the black and white characters storylines it doesnt seems to be connected to the murder, so it exists purely for the racial stuff.

I LOVED Barb´s reaction. " Why did not you tell me? Do you think i am racist? Why would you think that?" What i love  less is how Aliyah´s racism is handled. She far more symphatetic character then Barb and she is sort of right about Aubrey. 

Regarding the murder. I think Barb´s dead son tried to murder his unfaithfull wife while suffering through PTDS from his war experience and than he commited  suicide. That would fit the name of the show and for once the word "american" in the name of the show or movie would be actually justified. There is nothing specifically american about junkie girl killing her dealer. It would also provide the biggest shock for Barb. There is a good chance Aubrey did it though, since there are 3 male PoC suspects and one white girl......ofcourse the white girl did it. It is something i suspected right in the first episode.

• Love 2

Everyone wants Aubrey to get better, except Aubrey.; she's made that very clear. And now that she's achieved the junkie's dream of shuffling off this mortal coil, I want her to stay dead and give Carter half a chance at some kind of a life.

• Love 3

I want Aubrey to stay dead too.  Specially after her stunts in the latest episode.  She cuts off Carter's bracelet, tells him about a hundred times that she had the escape thing figured out because it was all she had thought about for two months, convinces him to drive off with her to Canada, and then makes him turn back to Modesto because she needs a fix.  

Also, I don't care how much in love you are, Carter, you're an idiot! 

• Love 9

Before this episode I actually liked Aubrey and Carter: down on their luck, can't catch a break and yet love one another unconditionally, even if the world doesn't like or understand it. Guess what, they both catch a break, separately. Their families love them unconditionally (well, almost). Lucky legally too, both out on probation of some kind, she gets loaned a car, he gets a place to stay and even a job is lined up for him. All they have to do is try, not necessarily be successful at it, but try. He wants to, she doesn't and he can't refuse her anything. So down the gutter they willingly go. And my sympathy evaporates.

• Love 10

Oh, and since Gwen is awake, how about having a conversation as to what she knows or doesn't know.  Are we just going to drift further and further from the central plot?

I know right? The previous episode ended with Gwen finally waking up. You'd think that would be the first thing they showed in this episode. But no, it has to be an entire hour about freaking Carter and Aubrey. We get one brief scene of Tom holding Gwen's hand and that's it?!?! You think someone might want to ask her who killed her husband?!!? No, no, it's more important to go on a joy ride with Carter and Aubrey. WTF is with this show?

• Love 4

As I said, the show is racist. The son attacking his mother for being racist in a most thoroughly PC way, shows that everyone in that family hates each other because that's what whites do. None of the white characters are shown without hatred.

All the Hispanics are shown to be despicable. The Father, his neighbors, the son (in the preview for the next episode shown at the end of it), and even the daughters.

Now as to the blacks. Carter is shown to be a well meaning moron who's shown as being guilty of SOMETHING, and the sister is portayed as a total religious fanatic

• Love 2

Hector is bit better but not so much. He is still very shallow character, a gangster, who dont want be a gangster anymore, that all we know about him.

I thought Hector said he was leaving the gang just so they'd break some bones. That way he could delay his extradition to Mexico. It seemed confirmed when he yelled "no!" after they only cut his face.

I'm hanging in there too, but the show is depressing as all hell. I also wondered why Gwen was not being questioned. They could  at least have shown the cops trying to question her and the hospital staff preventing it. I don't like how broad many of the characters are painted, especially Barb. Yes, she is racist but does she have any friends or family? Does she have a job? Are we really supposed to believe her son (and possibly sons) were drug addicts because their mom was a racist? These are grown men. The treatment is just too heavy handed.

I also didn't like the Hispanic dad being asked to not attend the Sunday church service because he is against illegal immigrants. Is he not allowed his opinion? I don't agree with his opinion, but a church should be for everyone.

I really can't stand anything about Amber and her wimpy family that continue to give her money and credit cards to buy drugs. I don't buy why Carter is even interested in her. They could have had an interesting character in Carter: a guy who is generally smart and had a good job but who felt confined in a 'straight' lifestyle. Instead, we see a guy who does stupid things to please a drugged up crazy girl. 

Timothy Hutton's character is the most sympathetic of the bunch, and he is a gambler who spent all of his families money and abandoned his family. His living son is supposed to be a good guy I guess, but comes off as childish and sanctimonious. 

• Love 2

Its hard to say however this show reminds me of the following:

1. A group of people traveling for business waiting out an airport delay.

2. The warm up area of the passive aggressive olympics, I guess.

3. Befores.

4. Jehovah's witnesses definitely not on the Heaven list.

5. Numbers >90 when the DMV is serving #27.

6. Jesse Pinkman's roomba.

The only reason I check this forum anymore is to keep an eye on the remaining viewer. Stay strong guys, its just tv.

• Love 6

Is it not obvious as to why we haven't been showing Gwen talking about anything? To keep the audience hanging on, obviously. 

Like other people I think what she knows will be shocking so they aren't going to give up that info until near the end. 

(edited)

I don't like how broad many of the characters are painted, especially Barb. Yes, she is racist but does she have any friends or family? Does she have a job? Are we really supposed to believe her son (and possibly sons) were drug addicts because their mom was a racist? These are grown men. The treatment is just too heavy handed.

Mark calls his mother on her racism and denial, but she can't own any of it:

Barb: It was so hard for me when you and Matt were growing up.

Mark: Yeah. Yeah, I know. I know it was hard, Mom, but I can't do anything about how things were—I can only deal with how things are now.

I like Mark, and I think I'm going to like Richelle.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1
Mark calls his mother on her racism and denial, but she can't own any of it:

Barb: It was so hard for me when you and Matt were growing up.

Mark: Yeah. Yeah, I know. I know it was hard, Mom, but I can't do anything about how things were—I can only deal with how things are now.

I didn't say she wasn't a racist, she clearly is. I said she is written as a cardboard character. Even racists have friends, brothers, sisters, elderly parents, coworkers, dogs. She is just all about being a racist. I find her to be a stock character with no personality.The conversation you quoted though was about how difficult it was for them to live once their father spent all of their money gambling and abandoned them. It probably was very hard on Barb too.

Once the sons were adults though, the choice and attitudes they bring to their lives are their own. Many adults have lived through less than perfect childhoods, you still have to make your own choices as an adult. The poor little rich girl Amber also seems to be blaming her parents and again, she is old enough to make her own choices.

(edited)

The conversation you quoted though was about how difficult it was for them to live once their father spent all of their money gambling and abandoned them. It probably was very hard on Barb too.

This is why Mark's response was so perfect. It is maddening dealing with people who live in the past, and wallow in self pity like Barb. I'm sure it was hard living through what she lived through, but to let it define the rest of her life is just an excuse to continue to blame her ex for her problems. At some point, you need to move on, and Barb would rather play the "woe as me" role than move on with her life in a positive healthy way. I also liked Mark calling on her for romanticizing who Matt was, and being in denial about his obvious problems.

Aww, thanks, editorgrrl, just following up on your points.

In Barb's own mind, she is never, ever wrong. Ever. Racism is only one of Barb's many problems. She's the most messed-up mother on TV since Bates Motel's Norma Bates.

Agreed, and this is why I hate this character so much, she has no capacity or willingness to learn, grow, or take her head out of the stand. She's happy to criticize what she perceives as racism by Aaliyah and her group, but refuses to even acknowledge her own racism. Instead she blames her racism on circumstances she was forced to endure, all very convenient, and perfect for shifting the blame and ownership for her issues.She is the proverbial child, fingers stuck in ears, going, nah, nah, nah I can't hear you. Barb is so out of touch with reality and in denial, she won't see the forest for the trees.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff
  • Love 3
(edited)

Thank you, BigBlueMastiff, for saying it more eloquently than I ever could.

IMO, Barb isn't a one-dimensional racist. She's stuck in the past, steeped in denial, and painfully lacking in self-awareness. According to Mark, Barb forced Matt to join the Army because she thought it would "fix" him. (To quote Mark, "The Army isn't family counseling, Mom.") She's known for years that Matt was a drug addict, but insists the cops planted those drugs in the house—or they're Gwen's. 

When Aliyah was talking with people outside the courtroom last episode, Barb seethed, "Look at them with their head scarves—celebrating," then shrieked, "You people have no right talking about my son like that. He was a good man, and you can all just go to hell!" Hell yes, she's racist. But then she has the gall to say, "That isn't me. I don't lose myself—I'm controlled." In Barb's own mind, she is never, ever wrong. Ever.

Racism is only one of Barb's many problems. She's the most messed-up mother on TV since Bates Motel's Norma Bates.

Edited to add: I'm taking this over to the character thread, Barb Skokie: Grieving Mother.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1
The poor little rich girl Amber also seems to be blaming her parents and again, she is old enough to make her own choices.

I know people like that who chose to make those self destructive choices and still blame others for what is happening to them. Realistic show where you might not like what you see. This is the train wreck of people's lives right there. I usually wait until I'm in a good mood to watch this show.

I enjoyed Better Off Ted when it was on, but a friend's dad couldn't watch it because even though it was a comedy, it was too close.

I refuse to see Horrible Bosses. I lived it for 20 years. To me, it isn't funny.

• Love 1

Man, I am catching up to the last two episodes and finished the first one of the backlog.  Like many others have said, I think I'm regretting this "fool's errand" of catching up since this was such a black hole* of negativity. 

I may have hit a new personal best of liking nearly every character less.  But, in this horse race to the bottom, Aubrey is clearly in the lead with Carter a close second for not seeing all of the bad dominoes falling.  I did find it telling that Aubrey thought they had been on the road for hours but Carter said:  "...oh, about forty minutes since we stopped for beer and that picnic."  That would have been a fine time for the camera to zoom into his face for some SERIOUS side-eye.

Should I cue up my Comcastic On Demand for the latest episode in the queue?  Or, vote myself off of the island so I'm not the last viewer left?

* This isn't a racial reference: there's no such thing as a white hole or yellow hole.  So, back to our original fume-in-progress.

So mom, as if you're not batshit crazy enough with all the racist memes you're always spouting, you should know the writers have me marrying a woman of color too, so please, by all means, go for it.

I get no romantic vibe from Aubrey and Carter.  I don't find them believable at all.  I also don't believe anyone, even another junkie, would tolerate Aubrey's entitled bullshit attitude, let alone love her.

The best acting in this show is by Timothy Hutton's face.

• Love 1

Wow, Carter really screwed up and made things worse for himself. I hoped he would realize what a mess he was making and not even go with her, and then once he did, I hoped he would come to his senses somehow (now that he's sober and seeing Aubrey's terrible behavior in a new light, which he seemed to be doing), but he still kept making things worse and worse. And now she killed someone? 

And Tony's being stupid, getting involved with his juvie buddy's friend, and his sister's punching people, and Barb's even more racist (if that's possible)...

For fuck's sake, does this show have a single sliver of happiness or decency anywhere? For anyone?

The only people I like are Tony's dad, the victim's brother (Mark?) and maybe Timothy Hutton's character. That's about it.  *sigh*

• Love 1

I wanted to smack Tony upside the head for blaming his father for him ending up in juvie. Um, no, dumbass, you ended up in juvie because you took a car that wasn't supposed to be used on the road and you rented it out for cash, repeatedly, to unsavory guys you knew were in gangs. The reason you ended up in juvie is all on you. You're just mad that your dad wasn't up enough on law to get you out of trouble.