Type keyword(s) to search

Psych Unpopular Opinions and/or and Bitterness: You Know That's Right

Thanks GHScorpissRule. Yeah, Liam and Carlos are my young Shawn and Gus for life. lol I agree that Skyler just didn't have the edge Liam did. Liam came across as such a little smart ass, 100% what a young Shawn would be, but still very loveable. I do wish Liam could have continued in the role. I think I would have preferred a slightly older young Shawn to a recast young Shawn. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Thanks GHScorpissRule. Yeah, Liam and Carlos are my young Shawn and Gus for life. lol I agree that Skyler just didn't have the edge Liam did. Liam came across as such a little smart ass, 100% what a young Shawn would be, but still very loveable. I do wish Liam could have continued in the role. I think I would have preferred a slightly older young Shawn to a recast young Shawn. 

They were perfect. You could easily see young Shawn and young Gus in Liam and Carlos. It was easy to see them and see them grow up into adult Shawn and Gus. In looks but also how they acted. Liam acted like how young Shawn would act.  A smart ass, clever, doing stuff that would get him into trouble. But he wasn't a jerk or horrible. Which isn't an easy thing for a kid to pull off. He easily could have ended up another bratty kid on TV. Same with Gus. He falls for a lot of Shawn's tricks but he's not stupid. You can easily see why their best friends. They really struck gold with young Shawn and Gus and adult Shawn and Gus actors.     

• Love 3

Unpopular perspective here, but I actually sympathized wih Henry. As much as most people here love Shawn, he would be an extraordinarily difficult child to raise. He’s obnoxious, rebellious, cocky, reckless, disinclined to follow any rules, very often dishonest, and frequenty making choices that get him and others in trouble. I see why Henry and many  other parents I know would reflexively react to feeling as if they had no control over him by trying to be even stricter.  I’m not saying Henry’s methods were always optimal, but  I understand where he was coming from.

Edited by AsYouWish
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

You just made me realize I would have loved a young Shawn and Gus spin off. lol 

Wasn't there an animated lil' Shawn and Gus series? Seems like I've seen an episode or two, but now am wondering if it was a fever-packed dream of some sort?

2 minutes ago, AsYouWish said:

Unpopular persoective here, but I actually sympathized wih Henry. As much as most people here love Shawn, he would be an extraordinarily difficult child to raise. He’s obnoxious, rebellious, cocky, reckless, disinclined to follow any rules, very often dishonest, and frequenty making choices that get him and others in trouble. I see why Henry and many  other parents I know would reflexively react to feeling as if they had no control over him by trying to be even stricter.  I’m not saying Henry’s methods were always optimal, but  I understand where he was coming from.

That's me too. I don't think Henry always handled Shawn optimally, but I understand where he was coming from and that's all I need.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

You just made me realize I would have loved a young Shawn and Gus spin off. lol 

There was an animated Shawn and Gus series-I think I have it on the dvds.

59 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Wasn't there an animated lil' Shawn and Gus series? Seems like I've seen an episode or two, but now am wondering if it was a fever-packed dream of some sort?

Yes, there was! Voiced by Liam and Carlos!

This is the only one I could find on YouTube, so maybe it wasn't a full series...I don't really know anything about it other than it was on the DVDs. Maybe they were hoping to do an animated series and this was a "pilot" that didn't get picked up?

I love all of them. Not to the same degree, of course, but I like all the main characters. Shawn and Gus are my favorites. The only main character I do struggle to love sometimes is Henry. I understand his frustration with Shawn, especially with him lying, but Henry was shown to have an almost antagonistic relationship with his son even when he was a little boy. Henry was, in many ways, a stage parent. He saw his son was intellectually gifted and wanted him to develop it and use it in specific ways and would berate him if he didn't. Not everyone wants to be a cop and that was plainly true of Shawn at a very early age. He never had the disposition for it. I think their relationship might've been better if Henry had just looked at Shawn as a bright kid with an extraordinary eye for details and just taught him cool things, instead of trying to put him on a certain path. But I did love Henry and when he would get involved with the investigations (like when he went undercover at an assisted living facility).

But I didn't like Shawn and Juliet being paired together. I wouldn't have minded a short relationship with them realizing they were better off as friends. But the long relationship made Juliet increasingly humourless and exasperated. (Not to mention the issues she had with her father being a conman and pairing her with a conman.)

Black and Tan isn't even in my top 100 episodes and there are maybe two moments in it that I find funny.

• Love 6
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, slf said:

I love all of them. Not to the same degree, of course, but I like all the main characters. Shawn and Gus are my favorites. The only main character I do struggle to love sometimes is Henry. I understand his frustration with Shawn, especially with him lying, but Henry was shown to have an almost antagonistic relationship with his son even when he was a little boy. Henry was, in many ways, a stage parent. He saw his son was intellectually gifted and wanted him to develop it and use it in specific ways and would berate him if he didn't. Not everyone wants to be a cop and that was plainly true of Shawn at a very early age. He never had the disposition for it. I think their relationship might've been better if Henry had just looked at Shawn as a bright kid with an extraordinary eye for details and just taught him cool things, instead of trying to put him on a certain path. But I did love Henry and when he would get involved with the investigations (like when he went undercover at an assisted living facility).

But I didn't like Shawn and Juliet being paired together. I wouldn't have minded a short relationship with them realizing they were better off as friends. But the long relationship made Juliet increasingly humourless and exasperated. (Not to mention the issues she had with her father being a conman and pairing her with a conman.)

Black and Tan isn't even in my top 100 episodes and there are maybe two moments in it that I find funny.

I agree with you about Henry. I too sympathize with raising a child like Shawn. But he wanted Shawn to be a cop and spent his entire childhood training and trying to force it on him. I don't like when parents try to force a career path on their child.  Henry didn't care about whether or not Shawn wanted to be a cop or not. While Henry and Shawn end up becoming close he never acknowledges what he did to Shawn was wrong.          

• Love 2

I am so in love with Psych that if I had to pick just one show to watch for the rest of my life out of the many I've been addicted to, it would be this one. And I registered for this site just to find other people who love it too. Oh, and I spent my entire annual entertainment budget on buying the DVDs despite the fact that it's now on Amazon Prime and constantly on TV. So it's probably unpopular to love the show this much, right? They don't call us Psych-os for nothing :-)

I can't tell if this is unpopular, but I really love every main character. (For comparison, I'm usually lucky if I love even half of a show's characters) Shawn, Gus, Lassie, Juliet, Henry, and even Woody would all come up if I were asked to name my favorite TV characters. It's not just them as individuals, but how they interact with each other.

I'll get my one small complaint over with: like a few others, I wasn't crazy about the Shawn and Juliet romance. It's not just that The Big Lie hung over it like a storm cloud, but that there were so many little lies along the way, with Shawn casually deceiving and manipulating her along the way just for the sake of comedy or that week's plot. He'd swear he was going to one place when he knew all along he was going to another, he'd promise to do or not do something while knowing full well he intended the opposite. As other people said, Shawn being such an exuberant, reckless character thrust Juliet into the role of stern, disapproving partner while around Lassie she was allowed to seem more fun and energetic by contrast. I don't think I would have wanted Lassiter and Juliet together romantically, though, because another possibly unpopular opinion is that I really love Marlowe and think straitlaced law and order Lassie with a reformed criminal was a perfect match. By writing this much about it, I'm probably making myself sound more opposed to the Shawn and Juliet pairing than I really was. I did sometimes like them, but I almost never loved them, and for me it's the one aspect of the show that will go down as less than perfect. 

I'm concerned that the above paragraph makes it sound as if I'm anti-Shawn. In truth, he's one of my favorite characters in TV history! I absolutely love Shawn. Maybe just not in the role of a serious boyfriend, at least not with Juliet. But I do defend Shawn as being a truly good person with a huge heart despite his amusing antics, which among some people I know who dismiss him as an annoying narcissist and nothing more is very unpopular. I also find him to be a very layered, complex and carefully crafted character.

Last Night Gus isn't one of my special favorites, which seems very unpopular. I like it, but there are a lot of other episodes I love more. Maybe it's my fault for never having seen The Hangover!

While rewatching recently (I'm never not rewatching, to be honest with you), I realized the most unpopular opinion I have is that Season 7 is my very favorite season. It's got at least three of the ten episodes I'd pick as my favorites of the series, Shawn is more thoughtful and mature overall while still being his nutty self, I actually liked Gus and Rachel, we finally see the end of Henry working at the police station, I love Lassie and Marlowe, by now Lassie is clearly a good but reluctant friend to Shawn and Gus rather than keeping them stuck in an adversarial mode, and Juliet gets to be really badass more this season than almost any other. 

I probably have more, but this is already a much longer post than I intended to write and probably a longer one than anyone has any interest in reading!

Edited by iknowyouknow
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, iknowyouknow said:

I am so in love with Psych that if I had to pick just one show to watch for the rest of my life out of the many I've been addicted to, it would be this one. And I registered for this site just to find other people who love it too. Oh, and I spent my entire annual entertainment budget on buying the DVDs despite the fact that it's now on Amazon Prime and constantly on TV. So it's probably unpopular to love the show this much, right? They don't call us Psych-os for nothing :-)

I can't tell if this is unpopular, but I really love every main character. (For comparison, I'm usually lucky if I love even half of a show's characters) Shawn, Gus, Lassie, Juliet, Henry, and even Woody would all come up if I were asked to name my favorite TV characters. It's not just them as individuals, but how they interact with each other.

I agree. This is one of the few shows that I love all the main characters. I love watching them interact with each other.  

• Love 1
On February 22, 2018 at 11:06 AM, iknowyouknow said:

They don't call us Psych-os for nothing :-)

I probably have more, but this is already a much longer post than I intended to write and probably a longer one than anyone has any interest in reading!

As you stated, we are Psych-os, we will read anything and everything you would like to post! This isn't a very active forum, so I love to see new posts. 

As an aside, my general rule in other forums on here (not this one), is if people have to scroll more than three times, it will probably result in a "Too long; didn't read". I'm not sure how other people feel about post length.

And an unpopular opinion to stay on topic, I too love Season 7! Deez Nups, Right Turn or Left for Dead, 100 Clues, Juliet Wears the Pantsuit, and Office Space are immensely rewatchable for me.

• Love 1

I'm going to start off by saying that Psych might be my favorite comedy of all time, so I might be looking through a bit of a lens, but here goes.

First, I love every character on this show, but sometimes they annoy me.

Shawn is kind of creepy towards Juliet sometimes in the first few seasons and can be a bit over the top, but his references and irreverence always give me a laugh.

Gus honestly does nothing I can think of off the top of my head, I love his deadpan humor and his reproachfulness never hinders and even adds to my enjoyment.

Lassiter is sometimes a little to smug when he gets his way, but he is one of the funniest characters without trying to be funny.

Juliet's character is played with so much it kind of gets lost to the viewer, so she seems undeveloped.  Sometimes she's nice and sweet, sometimes she's crotchety and sometimes she is tough, but it doesn't seem too definite.  She is pretty awesome though and is a good bridge between Psych and the SBPD.

Vick doesn't get much screen time and her relationships with the rest of the crew are often confusing, but when her seriousness is broken it is always entertaining.

Henry is a bit of an ass sometimes, even when it is unnecessary, but when he gets a chance to cut loose he is hilarious.

Second, I love some of the relationships but don't like others so much.

Shawn and Gus's relationship is one of the greatest bromances ever: they play off of each other so well, they care for each other so much and understand each other so well.

Shawn and Lassiter's relationship is hilarious.  When they are butting heads it is so funny to see their reactions, but in rare instances where they are working together it is very nice to see.

Shawn and Henry definitely love each other, but their competitions often have funny results.  This relationship also adds a lot of weight to the characters and helps flesh them out.

Lassiter and Juliet work really well together, with Juliet bringing out a side of Lassiter that adds a lot to him.

I never really felt the Shawn-Juliet romance, and I think that Juliet's character takes a hit because of it, and I won't even get into the whole "What he's psychic" thing because that's been done on here.

I honestly feel that Abigail was a better match for Shawn, and I wish she stuck around to have her character fleshed out a bit more.

• Love 1
Just now, HossBonaventure said:

Also can I just say the thing in this show that probably made me laugh the most was Shawn and Gus both saying "jyess" in really high-pitched voices in the episode with Shawn's uncle and the buried treasure.

I don’t think that’s unpopular!???

• Love 1