Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E16: Dwayne Johnson / George Ezra

• Start Topic

I'm watching the episode on Hulu and there was a weird cut on WU, in between Colin's joke about taking naps and his OJ joke. Based on the posts above, I'm guessing they cut The Jinx credit joke, since I didn't see that at all. Was there a complaint about the joke, or was there some other reason it would've been cut out?

The Rock is such a delightful host. He is just a natural at comedy, and is clearly game for whatever they throw at him.

I haven't seen any of the Jinx miniseries, so I'm guessing the improv sketch would've been funnier to me if I had, but it was still funny to me without having the right context. It was similar to the Serial sketch from the Amy Adams episode - kind of funny even if you haven't watched it, but you probably appreciate it more if you're familiar (which is why I found the Serial one hilarious)

I won't lie, I cracked up at the robotic "Can you smell what Steven Hawking is cooking???" in the monologue. But the WWE sketch was my favorite of the night. "I catfished your ass!" "Damn, that is intricate!"

Also, Kyle's Man on the Street bits crack me up. He's actually really good at just kind of going with the flow, and "...Some things are just really good not to get involved in" and "this one lacks professionalism" made me laugh harder than it should have.

I have never heard of George Ezra before, and I have to say, I wasn't expecting that voice to come out of that body. I was very impressed though.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 3

Was there a complaint about the joke, or was there some other reason it would've been cut out?

It's more than likely that old chestnut, music rights.  They played " This Is How We Do It" and I think one other song.

• Love 2

I just recently discovered that George Ezra sign on the radio, and I totally dig it. But I had no idea that deep soulful voice was coming from that baby face. It was surprising and awesome and I was so impressed. Which is a great way to sum up my feelings on the whole episode, actually.

• Love 2

My cable company had downed my service while I was away over the weekend, so SNL didn't record for me, and I had to watch online. I missed the Jinx bit on Weekend Update and the Interogation scene, which is a shame since both seemed to have garnered some positive reviews.

I definitely found the first half stronger than the second half, but no real clunkers of skits (Kate Saved the Dr. Bones skit as did the final cartwheel). When I saw there was an improve ski, I was REALLY hoping it was going to be a riff on the High School Theater skit from earlier in the year, but I'll take Kate's impression.

Dwayne is definitely a near Timberlake level talented performer. He obviously doesn't have the musical talent, but his enthusiasm and ability to transition from throwback action hero, to comedy is great. From the moment he stole nearly all of Be Cool (criminally underrated in my opinion) I've known he wasn't just a lug.

• Love 1

Hope he joins the Five Timers Club sooner rather than later. It's great to have a host who's first time was 15 years ago. Then again, next week, we get a host who's first time was 33 years ago.

He is a prime candidate for the full Five Timers Club treatment. I can picture Steve Martin challenging him to an arm wrestling contest (and then make Pete Davidson do it.)  I do hope that happens someday.

• Love 3

My cable company had downed my service while I was away over the weekend, so SNL didn't record for me, and I had to watch online. I missed the Jinx bit on Weekend Update and the Interogation scene, which is a shame since both seemed to have garnered some positive reviews.

I was away for the week, and my DVR didn't record it, so I just got around to watching some online and the rest OnDemand. Like you, I'm sorry I missed the Jinx bit on WU. I did see the Interrogation scene, and I absolutely loved it. The Rock is pretty amazing. He was excellent in all the sketches. I think my favorite was the weird date one. Cecily was really good in that too.

I loved Kate as the Russian lady. I loved her as Robert Durst. That was a great impression. If you haven't seen The Jinx, I don't imagine her performance would be all that funny, Also, Cecily was hilarious as Jeanine Pirro.

I like Willie a lot, much more than Drunk Uncle or some other characters.