Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Rosie

Thank you for your explanation of NY and CA law but "The Slap" is an ademptation of a novel that was written in Australia. I don't know Aistralian law but I'm sure it's quite different from US law. I would imagine that the US version hasn't changed much since it's also a character study and family dynamics. But most of all it's presents a moral issue of parenting behavior. Displining a child or allowing a child to feel free to do what they want without consequences. The one issue I do see is that in the Australian version, Hugo is suppose to be 3 or 4 years old. In the US version, Hugo appears to be older.

The Slap was a result of Harry's reaction to Hugo swinging the bat in a menacing manner and the kick to Harry's shin. Harry should have shown more restraint but Rosie made a mountain out of a mole hill due to her parenting style. Rosie fails to recognize that her parenting style could be as detrimental to Hugo's well being as Harry's slap.

Edited by Waldo13
  • Love 1

Thank you for your explanation of NY and CA law but "The Slap" is an ademptation of a novel that was written in Australia. I don't know Aistralian law but I'm sure it's quite different from US law.

Right...but since the show was adapted for a U.S. audience rather than NBC's just buying the rights to the original and airing it, digging into how realistic the legal aspects are being portrayed here in its new setting is germane to the discussion.

• Love 5

The Slap was a result of Harry's reaction to Hugo swinging the bat in a menacing manner and the kick to Harry's shin.

I wonder, though, if that's the whole story? I think perhaps Harry would have found some other way of restraining the kid if he hadn't already been in a kind of a ferocious mood about Gary being drunk and belligerent and insulting his family. I don't think he was too impressed with attachment Rosie getting blasted and ignoring her kid when she wasn't feeding him breast shots either.

I come from a large mediterranean family where all the adults were expected to keep the kids in line, and even the parents who believed in physical punishment didn't hit other peoples' children in anger. Not because they didn't think the kid had it coming, but because it was crossing a line with their parents.

Rosie made a mountain out of a mole hill due to her parenting style.

I think Rosie turned the situation into a mountain when she refused to accept an apology, which I suspect had as much to do with her feeling judged about what a crappy parenting job she was doing as it did with protecting Hugo, and I think she and Gary were negligent and stupid at the barbecue. On the other hand, I don't think another guest in a home you've been invited to striking your child is a molehill.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I wonder, though, if that's the whole story? I think perhaps Harry would have found some other way of restraining the kid if he hadn't already been in a kind of a ferocious mood about Gary being drunk and belligerent and insulting his family. I don't think he was too impressed with attachment Rosie getting blasted and ignoring her kid when she wasn't feeding him breast shots either.

I come from a large mediterranean family where all the adults were expected to keep the kids in line, and even the parents who believed in physical punishment didn't hit other peoples' children in anger. Not because they didn't think the kid had it coming, but because it was crossing a line with their parents.

I think Rosie turned the situation into a mountain when she refused to accept an apology, which I suspect had as much to do with her feeling judged about what a crappy parenting job she was doing as it did with protecting Hugo, and I think she and Gary were negligent and stupid at the barbecue. On the other hand, I don't think another guest in a home you've been invited to striking your child is a molehill.

Of course stricking a child is not a molehill but Harry made an apoligy and Rosie chose not to accept it and chose to escalate, the slap, and not treat this as a family matter for Rosie took it more as a personal insult to her life style than her child being harshly disciplined. Harry defiantly overreacted even with Hugo swinging the bat at him and kicking him in the shin but both parents just sat there and tolerated Hugo's menacing behavior. It wasn't until Harry got up to confront Hugo, that Gary actually moved but even than Gary was slow to rush to his son's side. Rosie was nowhere in the vicinity.

• Love 1
There is no crime of "battery" in NY. We call it assault, but it requires injury and a red mark that fades in a few hours isn't injury, as a matter of law.

So in NY you can smack somebody in the face and not be charged with anything unless they draw blood or break something, even if 20 people witnessed it (and there are photos)?  

So, did Gary bang that "up and coming" artist from the gallery ?  They went back to her place, but Gary didn't seem too enthusiastic.

Is Grandpa the only man faithful to his wife on this show? Everyone needs a dick slap.

Gary didn't sleep with the up-and-comer.  They showed him having a drink with his clothes on while she undressed, and when they showed him again in the morning she was sleeping behind him but he hadn't moved from that spot.  His clothes, hair, and even posture were unchanged, but he was crying.  

He sat there the whole night thinking about what a checked-out silently-jealous punk-ass he's been, and he decided to be the bear Rosie expected him to be.  

• Love 2

Harry is a hotheaded mess, but I found Aisia, Rosie, and Gary totally obnoxious, elitist and nasty. Also, I think Harry's child is the most normal, and well behaved. Aiisha's and Hector's kids seem to fight 24/7, while their yuppie parents are self-absorbed and ignoring their children.   Gary and Rosie are the dippy, hippy parents who shouldn't even have a cat!   

Yes, Gary's mom is domineering and should not take over a party, but Aiisha was planning what for her husband's party? The only thing she did was chop veggies. 

Aisha, Rosie and Gary all come across as snobs.   Why is it ok for them to mock traditional Greek culture?  Hector is a big coward  who can't stand up to anyone. Watching losers like Rosie and Gary mocking the older people was making me sick, especially since they are pathetic losers whose child can't even spend a day at a preschool without being expelled.   They could never have endured what the Harry's parents endured to leave a country and make a new life, and raise children in a new country.

Was it ok for Harry to smack obnoxious Hugo? No, it wasn't, and I don't believe in corporal punishment, but that kid was a danger with that bat, and his drunk stumbling mom allowed him to destroy property and also bother others.    

Why does Aisia and everyone but Harry and his parents find Rosie and Gary at all acceptable or likable, but they are so appalled at an older Greek lady bringing food to a party?  What is their to like about Rosie?  She is a mentally ill dipshit and has nothing endearing or likable about her.

• Love 6

Yes, Gary's mom is domineering and should not take over a party, but Aiisha was planning what for her husband's party? The only thing she did was chop veggies.

That's not true; she also threw away his cigarettes.

"Your birthday present this year is nicotine withdrawal!  Love you!"

Why does Aisia and everyone but Harry and his parents find Rosie and Gary at all acceptable or likable, but they are so appalled at an older Greek lady bringing food to a party?  What is their to like about Rosie?  She is a mentally ill dipshit and has nothing endearing or likable about her.

That's the biggest mystery to me.  I have no idea why they are friends with Rosie and Gary, because they both seem like difficult people to like.

• Love 2

In fairness to Aisha, who's not someone I warm to myself, if my mother in law made a point of treating me as someone who was outside the family circle by conversing with my husband in front of me in a language I don't speak - and she is, actually, doing it so she can be insulting about Aisha and her friends and Aisha can't call her on it, because we haven't seen her bust out the greek under any other circumstances - I would be as little charmed with her version of "ethnic heritage" as Aisha is. Rudeness is not a cherished greek trait.

Yeah, Gary and Rosie are awful, but what do you expect from Aisha? Look what she married into.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Not only do they talk about her in front of her, but they even use her NAME, so she knows damn well they're talking about her.  Aisha should have shut that down the first year of marriage.  Well, Hector should have, but if he didn't, she could have set some ground rules. 

Do their kids go to Greek school?  I never knew a culturally involved Greek kid who didn't go to Greek school.  So now the kids are old enough to understand what Grandma's running her mouth off about their mom.

• Love 2

I hate to say it, but I think Hector is a real jerk, and he annoys me more than Harry!  Hector should stand up to his parents, but then again, he can't even tell  a high school girl to back off!  The fact he can relate to a teenager when he is 40 says a lot! 

I don't see Aisha as someone who ever really tried to fit in with Hector's family, or even be the least bit accepting of their culture, but somehow she's ok with her drunken hippy friends' kid tearing up their garden. 

I do not feel sorry for Aisha at all, since I also think she's a nasty snob , and so are Gary and Rosie.

The fact that her lazy, pointless,  obnoxious, alcoholic, friends who should have their child removed from their home can sit and roll their eyes, and insult her in laws,  and laugh at them, while she sits there shows me that she is not faultless as to why the  grandparents don't  even communicate with her.   

She and her snobby circle sit around rolling their eyes at the older family members, and insulting them when they are in earshot. I have a feeling the Greek came as a result of some pretty disrespectful behavior on her  part to begin with.

Rosie is a nutjob who should have CPS at her door, and that kid should be put in detox from drinking boozy milk all day. But somehow, Aisha who is so so into proper behavior, totally discounts this weirdo's part in anything because she's her "friend". The fact that she is so close to Rosie says a lot about her weird personality!

Also,  what doctor who runs a clinic hires some high school kid to basically run the office?   

Sadly,  Harry and his wife are the only two who seem to have potential, and they are really messed up in other ways.

• Love 3

So in NY you can smack somebody in the face and not be charged with anything unless they draw blood or break something, even if 20 people witnessed it (and there are photos)?  

Actually, just drawing blood isn't enough either. You need at least a two inch cut to be solid on injury. The smack in the face is harassment 2, which is a violation. The legal/penal law equivalent of a traffic ticket. No record, no fingerprints, not a crime (just an "offense.") I don't make the rules in NY, I just report the facts.

• Love 1

Actually, just drawing blood isn't enough either. You need at least a two inch cut to be solid on injury. The smack in the face is harassment 2, which is a violation. The legal/penal law equivalent of a traffic ticket. No record, no fingerprints, not a crime (just an "offense.") I don't make the rules in NY, I just report the facts.

This is only tangentially relevant, but doesn't it make a difference who you hit? My impression is that you don't have to do nearly as much damage to a  law enforcement officer or a corrections officer or a bus driver, for instance. Is the standard not higher for a child?

Edited by Julia

I hate all these people! 

Me too, except for Sandi, Richie's mom and the school principal.

I expected this episode about Rosie would give us some backstory that would at least somewhat explain her overprotectiveness, obliviousness, righteousness and general annoyingness.  But no!  She's just a total asshole!  Therefore, I enjoyed every bit of the other characters' rejecting her and Thanassis cross examining her.   Also, I was hoping that Gary would get with the lady artist and dump Rosie's sorry ass.  Why on earth does he "adore" her and Hugo??  He must be a masochist.

Aisha: yuck.  Acting the injured wife with the teenager [Corinne?  don't even remember her name] when a couple weeks ago she was ready to hop into bed with her med school classmate.  Jerk.

And by the way, is the show ever going to return to the disturbing fact that Harry gets physical with Sandi???  Isn't that kind of a big deal?  Bigger than a one-time red mark on that little shithead's face?

• Love 5

This is only tangentially relevant, but doesn't it make a difference who you hit? My impression is that you don't have to do nearly as much damage to a  law enforcement officer or a corrections officer or a bus driver, for instance. Is the standard not higher for a child?

Not really, actually. There are basically two levels of injury in NY--physical injury, which is generally the misdemeanor threshold (and required the two inch cut, or some other substantial impairment of physical condition) and serious physical injury (which is generally life-threatening or permanently disabling injury). Most broken bones, for example, are only physical injury. There's no special thing for a child with anything less than physical injury. However, just as the law protects certain professional activities as having both inherent value and inherent danger (police/fire/EMT/so forth) there are felony charges for children if they fall in certain categories, such as a child under 11 to whom physical injury is caused by a person over 19. There aren't really any special protections for children who don't receive at least physical injury (which a slap is just never going to cause).

Rosie to me, getting to the episode again, is just such a childish, self-centered brat with no understanding that (a) the world doesn't really give a damn about her and her oh so specialness, (b) that if she wants something in life she should get off her ass and work for it, and © that being a drama queen has no redeeming value outside a high school drama class. It was her complete and utter obliviousness as to how she would be seen by others, as well as how she sees the world, that really made me crazy. And her reaction when she realized Hugo wanted to see Harry again, that he missed "the monster." Unreal. A parent who gave a damn about their kid would possibly take this moment to re-evaluate her actions. Not Rosie though! She's pull speed ahead and damn the torpedoes!

• Love 1

Haven't yet finished the final episode but I have some comments to make. While this show has good actors (I adore Zachary since the Heroes and I do like the one playing Rosie) and the story is good, I feel like every episode will bring us to an "explosion" of feelings and emotions but at the last minute nothing happens. Like much drama for nothing. It shows the characters' personalities more than other series (it's based on human emotions and I love that) but it doesn't get any deeper than just show us their actions, no thoughts, no progress of emotions, nothing. Another thing I'd like to add is, Rosie being a bad parent (however bad is interpreted) does not give the right to a stranger beating her kid up and I'm astounded of how this court and this lawyer is making this a pro Harry thing. So if someone killed a kid it would be OK if the kid's parents were bad parents? Harry did a wrong thing and he should be punished for that. Whether Hugo's parents are raising him good or bad is another story and another theme for another law suit.