Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Born Again

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Rollo contemplates the Seer's prophecy regarding his destiny, while Kalf arrives in Kattegat and joins the Viking fleet as the raiders set sail up the Seine for Paris. Later, babies are born to both Porunn and Judith.

Ok, wow......with the ear. That was intense. 

Ragnar's love for Athelstan, and how the monk was everyone's favourite little holy man is rather endearing. Endearing and alarming, as having him father your child apparently lets you keep your facial appendages. Again, an echo of the god visits, leaves behind a child and you should just be honoured.

Ragnar has made more declarations of love for that monk than any other character on this show, including his wives and all his kids. I'm not sure he'd haul any of their corpses up a mountain. Athelstan and Siggy in 3 episodes, show? Wow. 

Everything felt crazy in this episode, like out of a dream. 

"Who is this chunk of meat?" 

• Love 4

At the beginning of the season, I would've been devastated at the prospect of Athelstan dying. But, the character has fallen so far and been so destroyed for me that I don't even really care. I can't even mad at Floki.

While I'm still pissed that the cheater's kid is apparently going to become Alfred the Great, I'm just happy that she got a punishment. I was fearing that she'd just get off scott free.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

Aw, goodbye Athelstan.

Wow, Fimmel can convey so much with just an expression, those eyes, a grimace, a smile.

Killing Siggy and then Athelstan. Pushing ahead about six months to have Ragnar and Lagertha become grandparents! Almost cutting off the ears and the nose (!) of an adulterer. This show is bringing it.

And Bjorn is looking more like Ragnar every week, right down to the mannerisms.

• Love 6

That was an intense episode!

I don't know why Ragnar killed the lone survivor from Wessex. Floki could always tell everyone about the massacre.

Poor Judith! I was holding my breathe the whole time she was tied to that pole.

I was surprised Bjorn didn't name his new daughter after his little sister who died.

And why did Porunn give Bjorn permission to bang the Viking woman?

I hope Floki's happy now that he got to kill Ragnar's BFF Athelstan.

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 1

And Bjorn is looking more like Ragnar every week, right down to the mannerisms.

The casting people did a really good job. Baby Bjorn looked more like Winnick's kid, but this one has Fimmel's whole thing down. Both seem like they could be the product of Winnick and Fimmel. 

• Love 3

I had an eerie feeling Athelstan wouldn't be long for this world this season, but damn. I really, really wanted him to either fart off to Paris or rediscover his faith and spend his time going on pilgrimages or whatever, or even dying at Paris (in Ragnar's arms, no less, because that's the real love story of this show, lbr). Just...why Floki? Why did it have to be him? I've hated the character since day one, and he's just become more and more insufferable. I was so excited when he said he was leaving Kattegut. Sigh. 

I hope I look as good as Lagertha does when I have grandkids. Or hell, even when I have kids, period. 

Good ol' Ecbert. He does so love his dramatic last-minute saves, huh? Aethelwulf continues to remind me of a sulky Chris Pratt with unfortunate hair choices.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but I was v. happy to see Princess Krazypants in the previews for next week. I'm looking forward to seeing her again. 

• Love 4

I've been holding out on saying this but yeah...fuck Floki!

Amazing, big, epic episode.  Brutal episode...what happened to Judith was tough to watch.  Surprised to see Athelstan get killed but hats off to George Blagden and especially Travis Fimmel for their performances.  Looking forward to seeing where Ragnar's story goes from here.

Looks like Bjorn is returning to the little shit he was when he was a kid.  I actually think Porunn looks good with the scar.  Naming his daughter after Siggy was a nice touch...if he has another one, I hope he names her after Gyda.  Disappointed not to have seen Ragnar's reaction to seeing his first grandchild...Fimmel is amazing whenever he reacts to anything.

Ragnar seemed uncharacteristically unnerved seeing Horik's son.

The show had another one of those LONG time jumps.

I did like that Athelstan didn't back down to Floki at the end.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4

This episode felt weird, it seemed like the born-again mode came out of nowhere.  Athelstan's death was very quick and I didn't really feel anything, but Ragnar's eulogy made me a bit teary.

I have no idea what's Porunn is thinking or why she isn't interested in being with Bjorn anymore.  At least the baby was born healthy.

I hope Ragnar will get revenge on Floki.  Also, why is Helga so quick to forgive Floki for everything?  He just choked the shit out of her!

• Love 4

Wow, two weeks in a row and I'm speechless.

I think killing the Wessex survivor was all about saving face. It wouldn't look good to have a major failure in England right before the warriors are about to leave for a dangerous raid in Paris.

Once again Ecbert, that delightfully cagey bastard, keeps me guessing. He had to have known all along that Athelstan was the father of Judith's child, so what's his angle? The scene with Judith tied to the stake was chilling.

I'm hoping Porunn is the next to go. Her character is whiny and useless.

• Love 4

In season 1 I loved Floki because he was comic relief to me in a strange way.  Now, I don't know what to  feel, because although I love the actor Gustaf Skarsgard, Floki has gotten too dark.   A few tears were shed at the end of this episode.  I wonder if George Blagden wanted out as Jessalyn Gilsig (Siggy) did?  I see on IMDB and he has made three shorts and the TV series Versailles.  Sad.  I'll miss you, Priest.  Let's go ahead and nominate Travis Fimmel for an Emmy for that last scene with the cross.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 12

Hi all,

New to this show and just caught up yesterday after a major binge. 

Awesome episode with so much done so well. No big battles, unfortunately, but so much great character development and character "interaction."

The Judith plot line was fairly predictable but well done. I did like how Ecbert looked for the slightest reason to stop Judith's torture and death--even if Eathelwulf didn't. I do have a soft spot for Ecbert, I must admit, and see him (in some respects) as a mirror for Ragnar.

OY! Floki killing Athelstan! Totally unexpected and totally Game of Thrones (in the best sense) I do think that his death made sense from the motivations of the characters (i.e. Floki) and for the advancement of the plot. It doesn't seem like it was simply a shocking development with no prior grounding meant to shock the audience and increase ratings. (Though it may have served that purpose as well). In any event, Ragnar carrying the body, constructing the cross and putting on the crucifix was very interesting and potentially important. I am a Christian (of sorts) and these symbols are thought -provoking if nothing else. Much like Ragnar, I feel the power in the cross, even if I I am really not sure what it means...

Edited by RiddleyWalker
  • Love 6

I wonder how long Floki will keep the info about the massacred settlement to himself. He's been loyal to Ragnar thus far, but obviously, murdering Athelstan was a turning point.

Once again Ecbert, that delightfully cagey bastard, keeps me guessing. He had to have known all along that Athelstan was the father of Judith's child, so what's his angle? The scene with Judith tied to the stake was chilling.

Oh I know he's well aware of it. He did everything but lock those 2 in a closet together.

I wonder about Aethelwulf in the previews. He's gone to see Kwenthrith. I wonder if it's yet another con cooked up by daddy. Or, maybe he's glommed on to Ecbert being a manipulative snake and is looking to overthrow him? That would be interesting.

I mean, I'm sure he know his father's nature by now, but now that Ecbert has basically decided to ignore his son's pain over the whole situation and basically force him to accept his wife's adultery and bastard child, it might force Aethelwulf to think a little bit, ya know?

Edited by Gumdrops

Damn!  First Siggy, and now Athelstan?  Michael Hirst isn't showing much mercy this season, I see.  I was somewhat surprised, but it kind of makes sense.  Athelstan and Floki's conflicts were just boiling over, and it really was probably going to end with someone's death, and Athelstan isn't the one to do that.  And, officially becoming a born-again Christian, but staying there, just spelled it doom.  Plus, he now has a son.  Clearly, it was all about making sure he didn't die a virgin!  Looking forward to seeing what George Blagden does next.  I thought he did a real good job at taking what could have easily been a boring character, and making him fascinating.

Ragnar burying him, was definitely a highlight.  While Ragnar can be a jerk almost all the time, I always bough his affection for the preacher, and never doubted it (even when he almost sacrificed him: he meant it in a good way!)  Travis Fimmel killed it in that scene.  Besides just being good in this role, he usually brings up how much he loves the Athelstan character/working with George, in whatever interviews I read, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is going to miss working with him going forward.  In general, I'm just curious to see how this affects Ragnar.  It won't stop him from doing what he does best, but I can't see this not changing him a little bit.

You happy now, Floki?  Nah, I'm sure he'll still find ways to bitch about something Ragnar does.  I hope he does get some kind of comeuppance in the future.

At least Bjorn now has a daughter (named Siggy, of course), but I think I'm done with Porunn.  He clearly wants to be a good husband to her, but she keeps pushing him away. Of course, I'm sure him going for Jarl Borg's ex, is going to cause problems.

Not much Lagertha this time, but at least it was during the week Katheryn Winnick guest on Person of Interest, so I still got my fix.

I figured something would happen to stop them from completely maiming Judith; doubt they wanted to CGI out her nose.  But, she did lose an ear for the affair, but Ecbert is using the fact that Athelstan was the father, was an excuse that this child is a gift from God.  Oh, Ecbert.  You're so crazy!  And, it sounds like he's going end up being Alfred the Great, which isn't too surprising.

• Love 5

Ok, that was very very um... I didn't like it. And I have loved Viking so much. I rec it to everyone.

I spent more time laughing and going WTF and brooding over Micheal Hirst's taking Vikings to the question your theology WITH EXTRA symbolism show.

Did everyone get into the mushrooms Rollo had? A little sip of Princess crazy pee's wine? Like all the characters have been off since last episode.

• Firstly Ragnar has gone Christian and just oblivious or dumb to everyone else.
  • Floki is actually right! He's fundamentalist and preachy but he was always jealous and this way and I get that and he played it smart. 
  • Lagertha is fucking weirdos or flirting with them (Kalf and Ecbert) and dithering in Ragnar's shadow. NOPE
  • Thorunn is crazy.
  • Siggy died to be immortalized for plot reasons that aren't panning out. (WTF is Bjorn naming his daughter after her but not Gyda!)
  • Rollo is broody.
  • Bjorn is a cheater. Just like Dad!
  • Kalf and the band of people who should be killed immediately have gotton hair exstensions
  • and then there was Mr. French in drag?

Plus the English or reconverted.

Athelstan's character motivation was unexplainable this season. I was never hot on the character but I would have cared if he died. Now I didn't.

King Ecbert is also gone off the rails in his crazy affection for Athelstan or whatever he and his son planned for Judith. She's King Aelle's daughter! And they went there with the kid. Of course they did. SIGH.

Bonus: No one should have survived the Viking settlement massacre. Cheap plot device.

I couldn't even watch the clip show following. I'm so disappointed.

Edited by maraleia
removed the word gay, reason veiled homophobia
  • Love 4

Damn, I'll admit I cried during the burial scene--Fimmel was tremendous, he is simply great in this role I never tire of seeing his reaction scenes. Oh and I've always loved that we get Vikings and then immediately after GoTs starts up.

• Love 1

Who was the poufy looking guy telling them about the Seine?

That was Sinric. Some wanderer Ragnar knows.

Did anyone else think that was a middle aged woman at first? I thought Ragnar had found some old 'working girl' for Athelstan for some reason.

• Love 9

There's a part of me that doesn't believe Athelstan is dead, but that Ragnar buried the old man and loudly spoke to "Athelstan" the whole time for anyone who might be listening. As, perhaps, a way to fool the disloyal. But I can't come up with any way that situation would play out so...

I can only assume they know when the show is going to end, like the end of next season or the season after that. They've had the Wessex settlement destroyed, they've severed any real connection between Ragnar and Aslaug, Rollo is about to start fulfilling his destiny as is Bjorn, and it looks like Ragnar's failure to back up Lagertha might come back to bite him in the rear. And now tonight with Floki betraying Ragnar and Athelstan dying...Ragnar's losing everything. Perhaps they're preparing for the end?

Or maybe this really is all just one big ruse like last season.

The only thing I really responded to was a startled Ragnar dumping his kid on the floor. Heh.

Edited by slf
  • Love 1

I'm new here too guys, but an old MBTV TWoP reader. You're all awesome to follow, (Sorry, inner Dean coming out!) and I have a question. When the Seer said that the living wouldn't defeat Paris, but the dead would, could he have meant the plague?

Back to my corner, but glad I broke the ice!

• Love 10

The only thing I really responded to was a startled Ragnar dumping his kid on the floor. Heh.

That was funny. I laughed out loud.

It's nice that an intense drama like this still manages to have moments of levity. Nothing is doom and gloom all time time (unless you live on the Battlestar Galactica).

Perhaps they're preparing for the end?

We know how he dies in the epics, but since the show is playing fast and loose with everything (like the whole Alfred thing. Why, just why?). They've already let him outlive King Horik. And he and Rollo didn't even live in the same century right?

He always manages to come out of everything okay, but that luck has got to run out eventually. Maybe this is the start of the beginning of the end? I know I'm just being optimistic though.

Edited by Gumdrops
  • Love 1

That was an intense episode!

I don't know why Ragnar killed the lone survivor from Wessex. Floki could always tell everyone about the massacre.

But the guy Ragnar killed was the only witness that survived that shipwreck.  Without that lone witness it would just be Floki's word against Ragnar's.  And even Floki wants to go to Paris first it seems.

Who was the poufy looking guy telling them about the Seine?

He was the wanderer (mentioned in Season 1 Episode 1)  Ragnar told Rollo about that first told him about the lands to the West and gave him or sold him the sun stone and the compass like device.  (Edited to add, whoops, benteen beat me too it).

Well guess a lot of us were right in guessing here that Athelstan's son would end as Alfred the Great.   And in a way Athelstan will live on through him.

Biggest surprise of the season so far was Athelstan's death.  Thought he would make it to Paris.  Glad he found his own path in the end. 

Interesting that all through the Athelstan/Floki dynamic Floki never wavered from his distrust and hatred of Athelstan and Athelstan never spoke an unkind word to Floki.  Forgiving Floki's action in the end, he died the man of peace.

And the epilogue scene with Ragnar carrying Athelstan's body out for burial near the waterfall where they once prayed together was really touching.  I liked the reasons Ragnar gave his dead friend as to why he respected him so.  Ragnar is now alone in the world to a degree he hasn't been in years.  He will never be the same as he himself said.

Athelstan's Journal (don't see a separate thread for it here) directly following this episode was interesting when he mentioned he felt he could have never have found his faith again but by way of the pagans he lived amongst and called his family.  It was a very interesting hour what with the interaction between the Seer and Athelstan especially during his last visit to the Seer where the Seer basically got it right spiritually speaking and thus helped him. 

And the comments at the end by the Seer about Athelstan having found his truth and his reward in the afterlife.  (Don't tell Floki that the Seer respected Athelstan, heh).

Yes about three quarters of it was a re-cap of the first two seasons.  But I loved that part too.  I always like the beginnings of books and films and TV series.  Like a springtime before the innocence is lost so the very early re-cap part was particularly moving.

But the last quarter plus Athelstan's musings throughout were anything but a "clip show."  A great way to send an awesome character off with a whole hour many parts of it were new material.  Some were up on the web earlier but not broadcast but the ending with the Seer was never shown before.

I for one will miss our little monk who finally is troubled no more.

Edited by green
  • Love 5

How the bleep did Floki find Athelstan's bracelet in that water? Didn't know he had scuba gear!

Maybe it's not that deep out there. Athelstan probably doesn't have the greatest arm. Hahaha, maybe Floki just grabbed another torc and said it was Athelstan's. He did see him throw it. 

I also enjoyed Ragnar randomly hauling one of his kids like a sack of potatoes. Fimmel just makes the most interesting choices and I find this show endlessly watchable, even when the characters are jerks. It's also beautiful and is one of the best period pieces that illustrates how alien that world would be to us. Bjorn's widow side piece looks like Helga, but crazier. 

Ecbert is playing them all, including (especially) his son. 

I don't know if this is true at all, but I suspect that Athelstan will return as Ragnar's imaginary monk friend. 

• Love 5

He always manages to come out of everything okay, but that luck has got to run out eventually. Maybe this is the start of the beginning of the end? I know I'm just being optimistic though.

This is what I'm thinking. If they had done several things differently they could have easily gotten ten seasons out of this show but as is everything just feels...tired. I mean, what would three more seasons look like? Ragnar loses his crown and fights to get it back? We've kind of done that. He leads more raids? Seen it. Gets a new wife? Boring. Deals with more traitors and fathers more children? Eh. This season has been very disappointing; I was actually really looking forward to the show coming back but it's been a letdown. I feel like the only story they really have left to tell is the end.

^  This is Vikings, not Ragnar.  I doubt Ragnar will be around too much longer.  Maybe he dies this season, maybe early into next.  But the Ragnar story/legend is already fudging with history some so I can't see him lasting further than that is my guess.  Especially since this season is moving at breakneck speed.

By then Rollo's story heats us.  Hirst has said they have a few centuries of material to go through and have barely scratched the surface.  History is pretty darn long and it is just the beginning of The Age of the Vikings historically speaking.

Also Bjorn and his half brothers (especially Snake Eye and Ivar the Boneless) await their turn on stage as well as Alfred the Great.  Since the show just got renewed for a fourth season and they are already putting out casting calls for 8000 extras in Ireland where it is filmed ... well can The Great Heathen Army's story be far off?

I think that what Hirst couldn't foresee originally was how damn good the actors are and how hard it will be now to make another time jump and say goodbye to Ragnar and even Lagertha though I think she may stay around longer than Ragnar by a bit.  But the outstanding first generation cast is probably one of the reasons Ragnar has lingered on longer than he should historically.  The casting for the next generation is a daunting task as a result.  I imagine even Bjorn may have to be re-cast again eventually as he ages into middle age etc.

Meanwhile they have to introduce new Vikings this season.  Or old ones returning like Erlunder who, I noted, asked immediately after the Wessex settlement.  He was shown last season taking an interest in the idea of settlements and it was speculated that may be the reason Ragnar spared him since they seemed to share a similar vision regarding same.  (Psst, Ragnar, good move not telling him how it is really doing ... or not doing ... right now).  Also there is a new guy in town who arrived with Kalf and Erlunder.  The big dude.  Sieg-something was his name maybe?

Seems we are setting up for a major time jump next season any way you cut it.

Edited by green
  • Love 3

I was really surprised at Athelstan being killed off now. And like Siggy he got a "good" death.  And he got to be the baby daddy of a really important historical figure.  Judith being tortured was very hard to watch - I am not invested in her character or anything but it was awful.  Just another example of the so-called "civilized"  people not being any less barbaric than the Vikings. The Dark Ages indeed.

I am hoping that Ragnar will  make sure that Kalf and company will somehow get deaded during the raid of Paris. I haven't given up hope that he doesn't have some lingering loyality left to Lagertha. After all, he is just as tricksy as Ecbert in his own way. 

• Love 6

It's so very interesting that people of faith tend to find miracles or "signs" in just about anything.  Athelstan, whose name I've butchered since the beginning (I've been calling him Applestand), was so in need of a sign to help him find the right god(gods) that he finally got what he wanted. eh   The first time (?) in his life catches a beautiful sun beam through a hole in the wall, nearly blinds himself, and "whoop, there it is!" He is born again. Now, if Floki really did see blood coming from the boat head ( don't know what you call those, obviously not head, heh), that would be something all together different. I suppose he was on mushrooms or something, right? Maybe he was just hallucinating because he's never been totally all there.

It was all good to me, though. I have to admit I did not watch the Judith scene. I was positive the show was going to let us see all the blood and gore. Turned back to it when Ecbert was telling his son that the child was a son of god.  See, you can make anything work on our great wheel of world religions. heh

I completely understand why Porunn doesn't want to bed her husband. She was accustomed to feeling strong and pretty.  She's a mess now, psychologically. She loves Bjorn and understands he has needs. It might hurt her more, but she doesn't want Bjorn to miss out on anything because of her. He told her to stay home because she was pregnant. She chose not to and now they are where they are. I hope she gets better soon.

Yes, the true love story in Vikings did seem seem to be Ragnar and Athelstand.  Love in the way that you are completely at ease with someone who is telling you all these great things about the world and you can trust implicitly.  That is very rare and I think Ragnar is well aware of this.  I can't imagine what he is going to be like now. 

When the hour is up on Vikings, I start grumbling.  I want more.

• Love 5

At the beginning of this show (actually, through much of season one), I would have been absolutely fine without Ragnar. In fact, I really wanted a show about Lagertha, Siggy, and their pet monk going on crazy adventures in Ye Olde Scandinavia. But damned if Fimmel hasn't made me like the little bastard. No matter how hard I try, I just...can't...dislike him anymore. And while I'm very interested in seeing how this unfolds over the course of dozens or even hundreds of years, I don't think I'll ever be ready to say goodbye to the current cast. They're too good, far better than what I ever expected from a History Channel drama. But with Siggy's death and now Athelstan's (*sob*), it does seem like they're weeding out the cast to make room for newcomers. 

It's kind of like when a great show ends and you swear you'll never find another one you like even half as well. Inevitably, it happens, but you still say it every time. 

I hadn't even realized that Ragnar took Athelstan's body to the place where they prayed last season. That was an excellent continuity nod. I thought he was going to hide the body of the dude he strangled, but when he gave that little, "The things I do for you" crack, I got suspicious. Then he patted the corpse's butt, and...well. I figured it out then. I still find it kind of hilarious, in a very twisted way, that Ragnar seemed more broken up over losing Athelstan than Gyda. 

I'm still wondering what's up with Thorunn. She was so absolutely gung-ho about being a shieldmaiden. She seems more like the sort who would wear her scars with pride and tell Bjorn to get bent if he couldn't still love her like that. I get that she's still in shock and everything, but it just seems out of place for her to be shoving him away, given what we know of her so far. 

That said, I did like the death glare Aslaug shot her when she said the baby might be a monster (or something to that effect). Aslaug very quickly shut her down and let her know that, nope, not getting off that easily, and she was still going to love that kid, no matter what. Good for you, Mom. I'm sorry you've only just recently realized your fate was as Ragnar's broodmare because he's hung up on his priest buddy.

• Love 3

First, interesting interview with Hirst about Althestan's death.

I marked it as a spoiler because it does reference upcoming episodes. Talks about the decision to kill him, and Ragnar's reaction.

As far as the show, I figured Althestan was not long for that world, but I didn't see it happening so soon, so it surprised me.  Fimmel is brilliant as Ragnar, and his understated reaction to the loss of Althestan was moving indeed. 

I love this show.  It gets better every week.  Kudos to the History Channel - they've outdone themselves.

Oh, and next week:  "Shield Wall!"

I think that what Hirst couldn't foresee originally was how damn good the actors are and how hard it will be now to make another time jump and say goodbye to Ragnar and even Lagertha though I think she may stay around longer than Ragnar by a bit.

In addition to this, I doubt that initially they thought the show would be a popular as it is. I bet in the beginning, they thought it was good for one season, maybe two. 

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 4

In my opinion this was hands down the best one yet. Ragnar burying Applesauce (yeah I know ) had a huge lump in my throat. Beautiful acting made me suspend disbelief.

Also, I think Ragnar gave the Wessex farmer exactly what he wanted - to be with his family. He knows there is no possibility that the secret will be kept.

• Love 1

I think the show would take a huge hit if Ragnar died. Fimmel is just magnetic on-screen, it's like you can't take your eyes off of him. Ragnar is so many good and bad character qualities rolled into one, I'm not sure how you could replace that.

• Love 7

What an emotional episode that was.

Ragnar was seemingly oblivious to all of his buddies wanting to pummel Althestan. The scene where he walked up and put his arm around him. Everyone just shuts up.

That and him knocking the kid off his lap were some comic relief.

I used to love Athelstan but he got really annoying this season, I'm not that upset by his death. I did love Ragner trying to take to him the highest point to be closer to his God, then making him a cross. They are the true love story of this show. I also like that Ragner is wearing his cross. He better hope Floki doesn't see that. 

I also liked Lagertha being there for her granddaughters birth, but man does baby Siggy have a young looking grandma. I wish Ragnar was there too but he seems to no longer likes his son. First for not being able to protect his wife and second for thinking he will be better then him one day. 

The Judith thing was hard to watch. 

First, interesting interview with Hirst about Althestan's death.

I marked it as a spoiler because it does reference upcoming episodes. Talks about the decision to kill him, and Ragnar's reaction.

As far as the show, I figured Althestan was not long for that world, but I didn't see it happening so soon, so it surprised me.  Fimmel is brilliant as Ragnar, and his understated reaction to the loss of Althestan was moving indeed. 

I love this show.  It gets better every week.  Kudos to the History Channel - they've outdone themselves.

Thanks so very much for that link.  It is indeed full of spoilers but I'm fine with that.  Suffice to say Athelstan's death will be felt for some time and with more than just Ragnar.  Hirst really knows how to explain the show and it's characters so well.

In the not spoilers side of the interview for those who do not want to read the article because of spoilers ... he mentions having conceived Athelstan as simply the "device" to take modern viewers into the world of the pagans and how he began to fall in love with the character more and more in his own right and how hard it was to write his death.  How he sent the actor a 5 page essay explaining why he had to kill off his character at this point and how he and George have remained friends.  (Unlike the Siggy actor, it wasn't about Blanden (sp?) wanting to withdraw for personal or professional reasons or anything like that.  It was planned as part of the Season 3 story arc from the get go). 

He mentions how important it was for Athelstan to re-discover his faith while living among his pagan family.  Also the need for Athelstan to find his inner peace before his martyrdom.

Hirst also said that Ragnar shaved his head in the last scene as a tribute to Athelstan since he remembered Athelstan trying to do that back at his farm when the monk's tonsure was first starting to grow out.

And I agree. This show keeps getting better every week.  Even when the changes are hard to watch.

Edited by green

I figured that Floki would at some point kill Athelstan because his hatred of him had just built up so much, so I didn't have much of a reaction when he killed him.  What did get to me was Ragnar taking him up the hill and burying him and making that cross.  Then the eulogy just had me mesmerized.

I think Ecbert wanted Judith to get a taste of torture by getting her ear lopped off, but he never intended for her to get the full treatment.  So as bad as it was for her, I think she was lucky.

• Love 1

Isn't Judith the daughter of King Aelle, and isn't that alliance still of some importance to Ecbert?  

The whole torture at the stake thing was terrifying (I initially thought they were going to burn her), but it also seemed over-the-top for people of their station.  I could see clergy and townspeople ganging up for some crazed mutilation-punishment on some poor village girl, but a king's daughter?  Wife of the expected heir to the throne?  I would have thought the more customary treatment would have been to pack Judith and child off in disgrace back to her papa.  I realize adultery is treasonous when you're married into the royal line, but still.

Or is there lore of Dark Age wives of royal status being punished this way?  I may just be uninformed.

• Love 1

I don't know off hand of any noble women tortured like that for adultery but I know that noble women were executed for adultery even much later in time - remember Anne Boleyn? You have to remember that women for the most part in Europe during the Dark Ages had very little power  - even noble women. Free Viking women actually had much more agency over their lives and fate than Anglo-Saxon women.

I think it's possible that Porunn may have post-partum depression, couple that with her traumatic injury...

Now that Ragnar lost his beloved Athelstan, who represented in some ways his youthful curiosity about other places and cultures he is likely to change, and not for the better.

• Love 5

Last week, I said this is the best show on TV. This week, I don't feel that so much anymore. Now that I've had time to stew on it, I really hated this episode. Nothing worked for me. Even King Ecbert whom I love managed to really turn me off.

Lagertha's scenes were the only things palatable. I'll stick with the show as long as she's around, but if she keeps being marginalized, I'm gonna keep losing more and more interest.

• Love 2

Watching Aslaug hit Ragner in anger just reminded me of the fight that Lagertha and Ragnar had where he fought back a little because he knew she could handle it and all it did was make him want her more. 

• Love 1

Watching Aslaug hit Ragner in anger just reminded me of the fight that Lagertha and Ragnar had where he fought back a little because he knew she could handle it and all it did was make him want her more.

the way he just stood there while she smacked him was kinda funny.

And they went there with the kid. Of course they did. SIGH.

I know right?

They just went and glorified the affair and rewarded adultery. Might as well make Athelstan a saint while they're at it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aethelwulf dies before this season is up to make room for Alfred to become Ecbert's heir.

Edited by Gumdrops

I know right?

They just went and glorified the affair and rewarded adultery. Might as well make Athelstan a saint while they're at it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aethelwulf dies before this season is up to make room for Alfred to become Ecbert's heir.

I didn't know that having sex with a priest gave you a pass on the adultery thing!

I know right?

Aethelwulf had better not die!