Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation and Predictions

2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I've been dreading the death of all these good characters but now I'm flashing back to a Lost podcast where Carlton Cuse talked about Sawyer killing a tree frog and how they're very careful with animal deaths because viewers are easily turned off, so they couldn't kill Vincent the dog, for instance.  I can't see that show runner having Emma get murdered by Norman right after a successful lung transplant.

So now I'm thinking we'll fear for Dylemma for a bit but in the end they'll escape to Washington, probably in a huff over Norma not facing the facts about Norman probably having killed Emma's mom.  And they'll sever all ties, conveniently saving their lives and allowing Norman to get away with killing Norma. 

And ditto for Romero.  He's too likable to be Norman-fodder.  So I'm guessing he'll go to prison and be conveniently out of the picture when Norma dies. It won't match the movie but who knows, maybe Norma has another lover coming once Alex is shipped off, one we won't like as much and won't mind seeing killed.  

I agree with all this with the exception of Romero. We know that Norman kills his mother and her husband (lover in the movie) with strychnine. Of course that doesn't mean it all has to go the same way as the movie, but they seem to be trying to stay fairly close to canon. I guess we'll see. I can't believe there's only three more episodes and then we have to wait a whole nother year. Blergh.

You could be right.  It'd be kind of fun if they kept bringing in new lovers for Norma, so for each we'd have to wonder, "Is this the one?"  She's already had quite a few... Shelby, the psychology teacher, Romero.

(edited)
On 5/4/2016 at 9:11 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I've been dreading the death of all these good characters but now I'm flashing back to a Lost podcast where Carlton Cuse talked about Sawyer killing a tree frog and how they're very careful with animal deaths because viewers are easily turned off, so they couldn't kill Vincent the dog, for instance.  I can't see that show runner having Emma get murdered by Norman right after a successful lung transplant.

So now I'm thinking we'll fear for Dylemma for a bit but in the end they'll escape to Washington, probably in a huff over Norma not facing the facts about Norman probably having killed Emma's mom.  And they'll sever all ties, conveniently saving their lives and allowing Norman to get away with killing Norma. 

And ditto for Romero.  He's too likable to be Norman-fodder.  So I'm guessing he'll go to prison and be conveniently out of the picture when Norma dies. It won't match the movie but who knows, maybe Norma has another lover coming once Alex is shipped off, one we won't like as much and won't mind seeing killed.  

Won't it kind of lack the emotional impact if the audience doesn't care about the character enough to not care if they're killed?

It's precisely because we care about the characters that it's going to be gut wrenching when the murders of Norma and Romero happen. 

I can just about buy the idea of Emma surviving but not Dylan and Emma both. I'll be shocked if three out of four characters end up making it out of this alive. I also can't see them bringing in a random lover for Norma in the final season. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 3

I don't need gut wrenching tv, I guess.  I just want to be entertained.  Norman can stick to killing passersby and abusive parents we hardly know and such and I'd be perfectly happy.  I've enjoyed these 3 seasons without any rootable main characters being murdered.  

This isn't really a show you watch just to be entertained. It's the prequel to a well-known story about a serial killer. It has a rape of the main character in the very first episode. Sure, there are likable characters, occasional humor and Norma being Norma, but overall, it's a drama, and a dark one. 

I still don't think Norma and Romero will die this season (especially Norma), and I'll be furious if it happens (I've resigned myself to their deaths but I'm not ready to be parted from these characters), but the cryptic spoiler from Ausiello about the next episode having something major happen in the last 10 minutes seriously worries me.

• Love 5

I agree that it was always obvious that this was going to be a very dark story and I never expected the story to not end with the deaths of characters that we've come to know and enjoy. 

Regarding the 'pearl clutching' comment from Ausiello:

I'm guessing that Norma and/or Romero are going to find out about the peephole.

21 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

I agree that it was always obvious that this was going to be a very dark story and I never expected the story to not end with the deaths of characters that we've come to know and enjoy. 

Regarding the 'pearl clutching' comment from Ausiello:

Hide contents

I'm guessing that Norma and/or Romero are going to find out about the peephole.

"the biggest, most game-altering episode of the show to date" ... it better be a bit more than that.

I do expect a dark show, just not "let's kill Emma and Dylan" levels of dark.  Killing them would definitely be "big" and "game altering", though.  And I still can envision Emma biting it with Norma's coat on.  And if Norman was actively trying to kill Norma, that's pretty game altering, too.

15 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

"the biggest, most game-altering episode of the show to date" ... it better be a bit more than that.

I do expect a dark show, just not "let's kill Emma and Dylan" levels of dark.  Killing them would definitely be "big" and "game altering", though.  And I still can envision Emma biting it with Norma's coat on.  And if Norman was actively trying to kill Norma, that's pretty game altering, too.

The reason I think that the peephole being discovered could be huge is because that would put all of the Norma/Norman issues on the table where it would be impossible to ignore and to me could lead to a huge confrontation.

Another thought I had in terms of speculation is that Norman could have a very revealing session with the doctor that addresses the weird sexual element to the Norma/Norman relationship and the doctor will realize just how unhinged Norman is. That will lead to the doctor's death and somehow Norman is going to pin it on Julian. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Could Norman blame Norma for firing up the furnace? Since she wrote what appeared to be a suicide note to Romero  could Norman get away with it?  He won't be blamed for anything, since supposedly Norma was the only one who was there when the repairman said the furnace was dangerous.

Edited by Rustybones
6 hours ago, FurryFury said:

Pretty sure the official story would be her suicide, it just makes sense.

And it basically matches the explanation for Norman getting away with her murder in the book.

On 5/11/2016 at 9:41 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

And it basically matches the explanation for Norman getting away with her murder in the book.

I didn't know there was a book. 

Psycho by Robert Bloch. Hitchcock purchased the rights for $9500.00 and because the studio didn't like it, he financed the film himself and filmed it inexpensively in black and white with the crew from his TV show, Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Psycho by Robert Bloch. Hitchcock purchased the rights for $9500.00 and because the studio didn't like it, he financed the film himself and filmed it inexpensively in black and white with the crew from his TV show, Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

I found it last night, thanks. :) I'd never heard that it started with a book. 

• Love 1

I'm a little disheartened to hear the producer's comments that we're going to hate having to wait seven months to find out what happens next.  I don't need another Walking Dead finale.

• Love 1
(edited)

Where did they say that?  This made it sound like most questions will be answered in tonight's episode, but there will be a cliffhanger, of course.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3098788/bates-motel-season-4-finale-is-norma-alive-what-you-can-expect/

And this says it will be answered, if Norma died-

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/16/bates-motel-season-4-finale

Is Norma dead? That’s the question facing Bates Motel fans as we head into the show’s season 4 finale. And all we can really say is: You’re about to find out.

“We’ve been very secretive about episode 10 because after the events of 9, you’re shocked, you’re reeling,” executive producer Carlton Cuse says. “You’re wondering: What’s going on? What happened here? What did I just see? What does this mean? And then episode 10 really answers those questions.”

Edited by Guest

They're introducing Marion Crane next season. She'll apparently be in several episodes. I'm hoping that they do a several-year time jump between seasons 4 and 5. Anthony Perkins was 28 when they filmed Psycho. Assuming that he was the same age that Norman Bates was supposed to be, they would have to jump forward a decade at some point during the season. I'm curious to see how this is going to work. I hope that it isn't a full season of their take on the events of the Psycho movie, though.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

They're introducing Marion Crane next season. She'll apparently be in several episodes. I'm hoping that they do a several-year time jump between seasons 4 and 5. Anthony Perkins was 28 when they filmed Psycho. Assuming that he was the same age that Norman Bates was supposed to be, they would have to jump forward a decade at some point during the season. I'm curious to see how this is going to work. I hope that it isn't a full season of their take on the events of the Psycho movie, though.

I was starting to wonder if there might be a time jump next season if the show runners intend for  the show to end around the same time as the movie Psycho began.  To my recollection (granted it's been a long time), Norma had been dead quite a while by the time Marion Crane checked into Bates Motel.  

To be honest, I hope not because I'd really like to see the aftermath of Norma's death and it's effect on the remaining characters central to the series.  I'd hate to learn what became of Romero, Dylan and Emma through an exposition dump.  I'd rather to see it played out on screen.  

Since it seems the showrunners are sticking with the spirit and outline of Psycho but not all of the details, I'm hoping that Norman's "Mother" will be more like real life Norma than what we've seen in the show or what the movie portrayed her as (through Norman).  Norman now has no one who loves him or worries about him and so Mother-in-his-head may be more like the Norma we knew, instead of just a nasty, nagging, shrew.

I can't decide though if she will praise him or scold him for what he's done - if he feels guilty she may scold him.  He can't face the truth of what he's done though, when he does (like putting the gun in his mouth) "Mother" interrupts him, except this time it was the loving Norma figure, as well as a cozy family scene with a Christmas tree and Juno.  He's retreated completely into a safe place in his mind, how will he separate that from the real world, which he needs to do?

Since we know Vera is back next season, I'm very curious how they will pull this off. 

(edited)

What we can tell you is that we’ll be spending some time with Dylan and Emma as they forge a new life.

That sounds to me like there isn't going to be much of a timejump to start with--maybe the whole timeframe of S5 will be a few years but not enough to make Norman 28.  Which might be best, since they're trying to do a version of psycho that fits into the world of bates motel they've already created, not follow it to a T.  I'm surprised they are casting Marion Crane.  I wonder if she'll have some relationship to Rebecca (her sister, perhaps? in the 1998 remake of psycho, Marion's sister was played by redhead Julliane Moore) given that they're both into embezzling/money laundering.  But then again I'm personally hoping we never see Romero again.  If Norman is constantly being hounded by people who used to be in his life, then it wouldn't be psycho at all. 

Norma in the show was emotionally abusive, manipulative, and extremely possessive of Norman and harshly judgemental of/paranoid towards any woman who came near him, so I think that's very cohesive with what the film showed.  'Mother' is not nice or sane, and neither was Norma. 

Edited by Glade

Wait until Dylan and Emma come back next season. The stuff with her mother is going to come up again and since Norman isn't going to be caught in a prequel it makes sense that both of their lives will be at risk next season. 

Not sure about Alex now since they seem to have detoured from the movie. 

Maybe they will pull the poisoning with Dylan and Emma, since they went a separate route with Norma's murder. Isn't that how Norman supposedly killed Norma and her boyfriend in the movie narrative - by poisoning them? Of course why Dylan or Emma would touch anything Norman may have prepared is beyond me. 

On 5/17/2016 at 7:38 PM, Fable said:

I was starting to wonder if there might be a time jump next season if the show runners intend for  the show to end around the same time as the movie Psycho began.  To my recollection (granted it's been a long time), Norma had been dead quite a while by the time Marion Crane checked into Bates Motel.  

To be honest, I hope not because I'd really like to see the aftermath of Norma's death and it's effect on the remaining characters central to the series.  I'd hate to learn what became of Romero, Dylan and Emma through an exposition dump.  I'd rather to see it played out on screen.  

I do think that the showrunners are essentially sticking to the spirit of Psycho, but they're also willing to change things up. It's why I'm not sure if they'll do a time jump; if they do, I think it'll only be by a couple of years. I think they'll give leeway to Norman's age because I'm sure they still want Freddie Highmore as Norman, and short of putting makeup/CGI'ing him to look twenty eight, they'll want to get to the Marion Crane portion of Psycho before they end the series. I don't mind if they do this, having Norman around twenty and running Bates Motel. He was promoted to manager by Norma anyway, and we've seen him run the motel pretty much on his own anyway. 

I can even see them wanting to introduce Marion in a different capacity. Obviously if she is recurring, she won't be the exact Marion that she was in the film, because Marion came to the motel, checked in, had a chat with Norman, took a shower and got killed all within an hour or two. It seems like they are straying away from the movie just so we can get to know and care for Marion's death, much like how Hitchcock did for movie Marion.

Either way, they're definitely straying away from the movie, but in this case it'll work because what we've seen from the show, and from Norman, is different in its own way. We've gotten a lot more out of it and I imagine they're thinking that as long as the infamous shower scene happens at the end of the series/near the end of the series or even just the season (maybe to give leeway to a possible sixth season where we can find out what happens to Norman after he gets caught), and as long as they remain somewhat true to the film, then the audience will be happy with what they're given.

I think we have to see the aftermath of Norma's death, because right now Dylan isn't aware of her death, and Alex is in jail. Those are major emotional moments that I do think they'll explore. Except they could easily do a small two year time jump, have Alex somehow get out of jail, have Dylan return and then we could deal with the fallout then. It just wouldn't make as big of an impact...or maybe it would. Having these feelings and secrets fester for two years could cause a pretty big blowup. Plus, it gives Dylan and Emma two years of happiness, it gets Alex two years to be free from Norman possibly killing him, and we could see a major shift with Norman after Norma's death and his transition into the man we met in the film.

Either way that they do it, I think they'll do it justice. They have wiggle room with the story, seeing as they've already changed bits and pieces of it, and I think they'll do a good job of it. 

• Love 1

I am! I am! I kind of want to just nap until it's time. Too much waiting!

I am a little afraid the neighbors might call the cops if the squealing, whooping & shrieking gets out of hand, though. (No, it's just me alone at home, why do you ask? Well, except for the cat. Yes, he's a *real cat*-- look, he's right there! He is too!)

Ahem.

• Love 4

Dudes, I am psyched!

I am predicting Marion won't show up until the final three episodes, unless they really are diverting from the movie completely. Either way, things are gonna get craaaazy.

Edited by Spartan Girl

I'm counting down the last hour here! I'm glad the new episodes are starting, but sad it's the last season because I've been enjoying this whole thing since it started. I like watching this show while on Twitter to get live reactions, kind of like a joint "watch party" during commercial breaks.

Putting this on speculation because just a guess based on how Emma reacted to Caleb.  Emma knows Norma is dead and hasn't told Dylan.  She is trying to protect him.  She knows he will go back when he finds how Norma is dead and she worries what that will do to him.  They both know "something" is wrong with Norman and Emma fears that Dylan will get mixed up in everything again if he goes back to the motel so she made a call and didn't tell him.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

I'm here!

Hi peacheslatour! Don't know if you remember me, but you sent me to a site where I could find dresses like Norma's. Cost me a fortune, but I don't regret it!

Je regrette rien! :)

But, wait there is another: ModCloth! Better prices too!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Je regrette rien! :)

But, wait there is another: ModCloth! Better prices too!

Thanks, I think! Heart of Haute has become an addiction, and it's all your fault!

But in all honesty, I love that place, and several of my friends do too. I always credit you, so their husbands don't blame me!

Mick on the other hand....

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Thanks, I think! Heart of Haute has become an addiction, and it's all your fault!

But in all honesty, I love that place, and several of my friends do too. I always credit you, so their husbands don't blame me!

Mick on the other hand....

Hey, the heart wants what the heart wants!

On 2/21/2017 at 6:00 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Putting this on speculation because just a guess based on how Emma reacted to Caleb.  Emma knows Norma is dead and hasn't told Dylan.  She is trying to protect him.  She knows he will go back when he finds how Norma is dead and she worries what that will do to him.  They both know "something" is wrong with Norman and Emma fears that Dylan will get mixed up in everything again if he goes back to the motel so she made a call and didn't tell him.

. Imagine the horror if Emma discovers Norma in the basement. Followed by Norman dressed as Mother entering at that moment.  If executed the right way this could be chilling. Yes by that time time both Emma and Dylan know she is dead but Emma finding that corpse in the freezer plus seeing her friend dressed as a demented Norma would be a great scene.  She obviously would not scream in the way she did in the movie that would be cheesy. But an appropriate horrified reaction.

Just saw a preview and I'm all tingly! Caleb is at the motel! Norman in a Norma wig! Norma/Norman stabbing the shit out of someone! Yipee!

Oh and I meant to ask; who is that in your avatar Stringey?

Edited by peacheslatour
On 2/27/2017 at 1:26 PM, peacheslatour said:

Just saw a preview and I'm all tingly! Caleb is at the motel! Norman in a Norma wig! Norma/Norman stabbing the shit out of someone! Yipee!

Oh and I meant to ask; who is that in your avatar Stringey?

That is actually a pic of me

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It's very striking. Like I should know it from something. Are you in the Arts?

Nope I guess I just have a look that makes people think of familiar things they have seen in the past. I occasionally get second glances when I go to the mall. 

• Love 1
On 2/21/2017 at 9:00 AM, Chaos Theory said:

In a way I agree because doesn't Emma's dad live in white pine bay? 

(edited)

Welp.  One good thing is that I saw the description for next week and least Romero is still alive.  Maybe it was buckshot that the kid shot him with, as some have said. 

Edited by Ohwell
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Welp.  One good thing is that I saw the description for next week and least Romero is still alive.  Maybe it was buckshot that the kid shot him with, as some have said. 

I think it's a delaying tactic. It only episode 2 and they have quite a few left. They're saving a final showdown between Romero and Norman for the end so they'll use the next couple of episodes for Romero to recover. He'll charm some woman so she won't report him to the authorities. That's my guess anyway.

• Love 3