Type keyword(s) to search

Continued Adventures: The Fanfic Thread

• Start Topic

(edited)

The only way to do it at FF.net is to cut and paste yourself. AO3 gives you a one-touch option to download the story in several different file types. So what I did was download the PDFs to my tablet and then I could read them offline while on my flight. Its just a much easier way to do it.

There are also some other cool options with AO3 that I prefer to FF.net like a Kudos button for stories and bookmarks, which I just prefer to the following/favorite option on FF. If you haven't used AO3 yet, you should definitely check it out. It doesn't have as much fanfic but what it does has is generally more quality than FF -- at least in my opinion. That being said, I do post my fic on both just to reach a wider audience.

/end loquacious jibbering

ETA: Or download from FF the way daxx suggested. Also Neighborly Affections is smutty but good. Same with Sex Ed with Killian Jones, which is a few more chapters ahead on FF than AO3.

Edited by sharky
  • Love 1
(edited)

Checked your page and found several I haven't yet read.

Ugh, read ghost hook again and yes teared up again...

Already read catchlight, it is good!

Oh! I'm glad. :-) 

That ghost!Hook fic haunts me to this day (couldn't resist). 

The only way to do it at FF.net is to cut and paste yourself. 

I can never copy paste from ffnet, though. I don't think you can, can you? I use a program called FanFictionDownloader to get fics off ffnet.

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 2

Holy crap, you can't copy/paste! I just assumed that was the way to do it but didn't realize that didn't even work. Yikes. Then just ignore everything I said about FF.net apparently. :)

Although that does make me wonder because you can copy/paste from AO3 and someone actually plagiarized my work once by posting my story on FF.net. I always assumed she just stole it from the site, but she must've grabbed the text from AO3. Ah, to be plagiarized. I was both offended and flattered.

Oh! I'm glad. :-) 

That ghost!Hook fic haunts me to this day (couldn't resist). 

Very punny.

Yes I read it every time I see it and it makes me tear up and my throat gets tight. Quite silly actually.

She does a great job at the humor at the beginning then the tragedy at the end. Gets me every time.

• Love 1

That's horrible, sharky! How did you even find out? I hope you were able to get it taken down! ugh... 

She copied two of us and someone was nice enough to a) notice and b) send me a note about it. She took it down quickly so no harm no foul I guess, but that was the first time that ever happened to me. FF.net did seem pretty easy to deal with when it came to reporting it so at least there was that.

• Love 1
(edited)

Put Me in Coach is my favorite fic right now and I want more than two chapters!  It's so good.  I was dying reading the most recent chapter.  It was so sad...

I'm European and baseball is not my thing, so I wasn't going to read it, but everyone around here said it was so good that I decided to give it a try. And, you all were right, it is really good, one of my favourites right now. But I'm happy it's going to end soon, I hate those fics that are unnecessarily long, those that tell every chapter from three or four different point of view.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 2

I've written something really smutty, but am afraid to post it. "What if someone in real life finds out" being my most pressing concern. I've even thought of making a sock-puppet account to post it. :-D Any suggestions? 

Ao3 does let you use a pen name, but it still shows the original name in parentheses next to the pseudonym, at least in my experience. I personally don't find it to be a bad thing, since it helps connect my FF.net and Tumblr names both with my AO3 account, but if someone wanted to truly be anonymous with a work, that might not be the route to take. Maybe someone who is more familiar with AO3 will know if there's a way to turn that off or something; I'm still in the process of gradually transferring fics over to there.

Use a nom de fanfic! I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Tons of authors write under more than one pseudonym.

I think AO3 allows you to have pseudonyms if you want to post something under a different name.

Ao3 does let you use a pen name, but it still shows the original name in parentheses next to the pseudonym, at least in my experience.

Yeah--the "pseuds" on Ao3 show your main username as well. I might end up publishing that fic on ffnet afterall, but I haven't decided yet. Thanks for all your suggestions! 

• Love 1

Alright everyone, Tokens of Good Will is complete! Thanks so much for all the support as I got this posted. You guys rock!

Tokens of Good Will on FF.net

Tokens of Good Will on AO3

And does anyone have any new recommendations? Things have seem pretty quiet lately on the fanfic front. I think we're all waiting for this hiatus to be done with already!

Everything I'm reading either updates every week or so, or is stalled completely.  I've really enjoyed Tokens of Good Will, sharky!

Edited by angelwoody
  • Love 1

White Light has updated. Not sure why so many fic-writers have decided to torture me at the same time--all my fav. long AUs have hyped-up the angst!

Looking forward to reading the ending, Sharky!

• Love 4

Alright everyone, Tokens of Good Will is complete! Thanks so much for all the support as I got this posted. You guys rock!

Tokens of Good Will on FF.net

Tokens of Good Will on AO3

And does anyone have any new recommendations? Things have seem pretty quiet lately on the fanfic front. I think we're all waiting for this hiatus to be done with already!

It was a really great fic sharky, I have really enjoyed it.

White Light has updated. Not sure why so many fic-writers have decided to torture me at the same time--all my fav. long AUs have hyped-up the angst!

Looking forward to reading the ending, Sharky!

White Light is so angsty. This last chapter really broke my heart.

• Love 3

I have two friends that write mostly Snowing but are CS converts.I love both their take on CS. One is whiteladyofthering on ff.net(harbors of my own and when the sun creeps on yor covers ) are great CS and their characterization of both Hook and Emma is spot on.the other

is Icings(The Here and Now) really good CS.

• Love 1

I don't usually have time for fanfiction, but I've seen you post about Tokens of Good Will, so I started reading it today.  Pretty great premise!  I'll probably waste too much time reading, and I can't wait.  :-)

• Love 1

Reading fanfic is never a waste of time, no matter how smutty, non-canon, or completely crazeballs a story gets -- even if it has to take you until 2am with glasses of wine to finish it! :)

And for those of you following it, Under a Crimson Flag is updated. Seems this is the last chapter! Boo! But she promises an epilogue and a sequel so it can't be all bad, right?

• Love 2

I'm reading Adrift.  It's not bad.  I'm also reading Chasing Light which has now moved from Lieutenant Duckling to Captain Swan.  I think I'm following like 4-5 fics right now.  Time is flying by but Summer has been long!

I'm reading Adrift.  It's not bad.  I'm also reading Chasing Light which has now moved from Lieutenant Duckling to Captain Swan.  I think I'm following like 4-5 fics right now.  Time is flying by but Summer has been long!

YaddaYadda, is that on FF.net or AO3?

Newest chapter of "Coach" is up. *sobs* Damn it, BK!! I don't think I can handle the pain this keeps inflicting on my heart. God, this fic is so freaking perfect...

Oh no more pain? I think I'll wait... Keep almost crying about Robin Williams.

Didn't follow my own advice, yeah, crying...

Edited by daxx
  • Love 2

Didn't follow my own advice, yeah, crying...

Ugh, no kidding.  I was holding it together until she found Killian so broken and curled up on the floor; and the only sound that she barely hears is, "I miss you."

*buries head in pillow* 

• Love 1

Yes! I don't like baby!fics and it takes ALOT for me to like AU fics and yet ... ugh. I'm really enjoying A One Time Thing. Lilac Wine is also becoming a favorite for me despite the fact that again it's AU.

• Love 1

Okay, confession time. I've never been able to get into fanfic. Like, ever. But after reading some of the comments in here, I decided to give Put Me In Coach a shot because y'all got me curious. Oh my gosh so good. I literally read all of it today.

But now I have a question for the audience: how often does this author update? Damn it, I probably should have paced myself...

• Love 1

But after reading some of the comments in here, I decided to give Put Me In Coach a shot because y'all got me curious.

Muahaha... welcome to the fanfic club (or the current sob fest for PMiC)! BK has been updating only every few weeks of late, so I recommend reading other fanfics to help tide over the waiting period. ;-)

I'm in great hopes that Beyond the Horizon will get updated soon!

Edited by Rumsy4

Dammit, you guys...tore thru Put Me in Coach last night. Purt' near cried my eyes out.

Listening to the radio this morning, all about Robin Williams. More crying. Useless buckets of salt.

In happier news, my Zazzle.com shirt arrived yesterday. The Totally Hooked shirts at the ABC store just don't really do it for me, so I went to Zazzle and made up my own. It's a plum-colored V-neck (of course) with the words 'Good Form' across the front in gold letters (Old English Bold font). I'm thinking of getting 'Bloody Hell' on maroon too.

Also, hoping to have part I of my OUaT/BtVS crossover Kindred Spirits posted by the end of the week. If you're not familiar with BtVS, you will be spoiled for it.

• Love 1

Sorry for the double posting. Was wondering if anyone here shared a funny little kink of mine? I enjoy body a/o gender swap fics, so I was toying with the idea of a CS gender-swap fic. It would take place in the Enchanted Forest w/o involving other Storybrooke folks. Can't you just see Killian as the Audrey Hepburn type? 

I don't think I've read that many gender swap fics. Sounds intriguing!

I've read a few in Spuffy fandom. Their relationship didn't follow traditional gender roles (i.e., Spike was always the one who wanted to talk, Buffy was emotionally unavailable) and there's magic in the mix, so it wasn't a big stretch to go from switching roles to switching gender.  It can get a little confusing at times, but I find it interesting if done well.