Type keyword(s) to search

Continued Adventures: The Fanfic Thread

• Start Topic

I have a copy of the original downloaded as an iBook on my iPad but new stuff is very exciting.

i was so happy with the last update to iOS. It now stores all my fan fiction (iBooks) in the cloud so I'll never lose the stuff I want.

A&E stole an idea from my fanfic A Thought Unchained! Or at least that's what I'm going to tell myself to make me feel more important. ;)

Will we see the Jolly Roger again before the end of the season?
KITSIS: Next season.
HOROWITZ: If Hook is alive.
KITSIS: If Hook’s alive, sure, but next season we might show the Jolly Roger, like Emma could take it and sail the world in sadness.
HOROWITZ: It could be they use it and open a restaurant it on it.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/06/once-upon-time-hot-seat-season-5-spoilers

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 4:27 PM, sharky said:

A&E stole an idea from my fanfic A Thought Unchained! Or at least that's what I'm going to tell myself to make me feel more important. ;)

Okay, no offense, but I can't say I like the idea of the Jolly being turned into a restaurant and I don't think Hook would actually do that to her. Circling back to the issue of Hook and a job, I think he brought plenty of coin with him from the EF so money's no object. He bought Emma that house, right? I imagine he's got a money belt around his middle or something. OTOH, I could see him getting into the microbrew thing. He likes beer.

22 hours ago, Dianthus said:

Okay, no offense, but I can't say I like the idea of the Jolly being turned into a restaurant and I don't think Hook would actually do that to her.

But what about Cursed Killian with his brother and his brother's girlfriend, Ruby, as the chefs? ;) (insert gif of Hook raising his eyebrows)

• Love 1

Well, luckily I don't write fanfic for scurvy pirates like you! ;)

Also, head's up. I plan on posting another chapter of A Thought Unchained tomorrow or Thursday. I don't post here every time I update, but just in case you've fallen behind....

• Love 1

I've been slow to hop on the Fanfic Bandwagon (the only two I've ever read are Put Me in Coach and Lightbearers), but after that dud of a finale, I might actually pick up reading a lot more this summer. I need something to keep my spirits up about this show! 

• Love 2

If you're starting fresh, I would recommend Archive of Our Own over FF.net. Archive allows you to filter way down and sort by a variety of things, which should make it easier to find fics.

• Love 3

Do any writers in this thread take fic requests? If so, PM me. I have an itch to read a Season 6 What If scenario, but don't have the time to write it myself.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 1:05 PM, sharky said:

Well, luckily I don't write fanfic for scurvy pirates like you! ;)

Also, head's up. I plan on posting another chapter of A Thought Unchained tomorrow or Thursday. I don't post here every time I update, but just in case you've fallen behind....

Scurvy?!? I have a wedge of lime with every beer!

• Love 1

I've read a couple of those. Early in my fanfic reading though so not sure how picky I was at the time.

path that moonbeams make and second star to the right. I did enjoy them both but I can't recall how well written they were.

Dianthus, I took your recommendation to mean you wrote that fic. I wrote the author, not!Dianthus, this super dorky comment about being so happy I followed you over from here. So embarrassing!

But thank you for the recommendation! I'm really enjoying it.

(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:47 PM, 3dog said:

Dianthus, I took your recommendation to mean you wrote that fic. I wrote the author, not!Dianthus, this super dorky comment about being so happy I followed you over from here. So embarrassing!

But thank you for the recommendation! I'm really enjoying it.

Sorry for the confusion. I can see why you'd think that. I have yet to attempt a multi-chapter fic. I do have an idea for another quick one-off, but if I don't hurry, I'm gonna miss pride month.

Edited by Dianthus
more words!

Yeah, she announced on tumblr a couple weeks ago she was planning on completing it. Nice to see yet another of the abandoned wips I follow getting finished.

I need to skim the older chapters before I tackle the new one. I'm confusing some of the details with Until the Fog Lifts. That's no priest!Killian fic, but it's the same premise more or less with Cursed!Killian.

There's been bit of a drama over plagiarism accusations in the CS fandom. Several ficcers posted short drabbles based on a cute spoiler photo around the same time yesterday. A phrase or two was very similar in two of the drabbles, and the one who posted a little later was accused of copying from the earlier one. The fanfic author who was accused of plagiarism is actually a long term fic writer. So, it seems odd to accuse them of copying another famous writer's work and posting it at the same time. She herself posted asking if it was really surprising that two different people writing for the same Show accidentally stumbled on similar words? 

I felt bad over the whole thing, becasue both of them seem like really nice people. And to be frank, many of the fanfics I read have similarities in plot/characterization/turns of phrases. I don't just mean blatant stuff like "their tongues battled for dominance", or that unique "Killian" smell. After all, everyone is building off of decades of fanfic tropes, the Show's canon, and fandom characterization. I've also noticed that some phrases tend to run in fics from fandom groups. Who can tell where plagiarism begins and osmosis ends? I think I can safely state that there are only a few stories in the fandom that are truly unique. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'll take as many variations of a trope as I can get!

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Curio said:

Ah yes, that distinct smell of leather, salt water, and rum...

And somehow...spice. I imagine Killian's morning routine includes dabbing some cinnamon on his neck. Or maybe a hint of nutmeg under the collar. Sandalwood soap for his complexion. And finishing it off with some turmeric paste on the face. 

The leather, salt and rum I understand, spice not so much unless they mean spiced rum. I found a soap at bath and body works that smells so gorgeous speaking of scents, sea salt citrus. Try it if you are there.

• Love 1

Ha! Your discussion of the trademark Killian smell made me lol.

So before this summer I'd never read any fanfic before, but reading this thread sent me plummeting into months of voraciously reading tons of CS fics. I just wanted to thank all of you for your recommendations. I've combed through this entire thread, reading as many as I can still find. I'm so sad that some are no longer available (and I'm dying to read Put Me In Coach--she's been slow to get it posted back up. Anyone still have it saved and can PM it to me? I'd love you forever, based on all the raves you guys gave that story!).

Has anyone found any new fics they can recommend? I love all of it, but I think I love the modern AUs the most.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Every Letter is a new CS fanfic I got into. It's a modern penpals AU. Very sweet.

Welcome to the madness, @3dog You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.... ;-)

Yay! I'm so excited to check it out. I love fics with texts or emails or letters a LOT for some reason.  My all-time favorite is that one where Killian lives in Emma's building and sends her anonymous letters and they start corresponding. I can't remember the title though--it's all a blur. I am totally in Hotel Californiafic. You nailed it. Haha.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, 3dog said:

Yay! I'm so excited to check it out. I love fics with texts or emails or letters a LOT for some reason.  My all-time favorite is that one where Killian lives in Emma's building and sends her anonymous letters and they start corresponding. I can't remember the title though--it's all a blur. I am totally in Hotel Californiafic. You nailed it. Haha.

That was With Affection by phiralovesloki On AO3.

Apparently I'm not allowed to paste anymore. I'm blaming my iPad right now and not the forum since I'm having issues with ficsave as well.

• Love 1

So, along the same lines as the trademark Killian smell being a funny repeated trope, does anyone else get grossed out by the vast quantities of hot chocolate with cinnamon that Emma downs in any given story? Like, it's cute and comforting at first, but eventually, by the end of every story, she's consumed enough to put any normal human in a diabetic coma. I'm like... drink water once in a while. It's started to take me right out of the stories.

On 8/23/2016 at 2:38 PM, Curio said:

I've noticed that a lot of fic writers make Ruby Emma's best friend, which hasn't ever been a huge thing on the show.

Or Elsa, but she was here and gone. I have used both Ruby and Elsa as friends and yes, I have had both of them date Liam.

• Love 2

I'm used to seeing Liam and Elsa as a couple, but JewelQueen in Dark Horizon kinda threw me for a loop. I wondered at first what Liam could've done that was so wrong, but Regina, while still a manipulative, conniving bitch ('cuz yeah), isn't a raging sociopath.

• Love 1

I kinda stopped liking Liam after The Brothers Jones episode, so I don't really care one way or the other about shipping him with Regina. Some people started crack shipping them after that epsidoe. 

• Love 2
On 8/22/2016 at 2:26 PM, Rumsy4 said:

Every Letter is a new CS fanfic I got into. It's a modern penpals AU. Very sweet.

Welcome to the madness, @3dog You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.... ;-)

Just wanted to report back that I adored this one. I devoured it yesterday. Read it on the train, over lunch, on the train home, on the treadmill at the gym...haha.

• Love 1