Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Part 5

A sudden tragedy unsettles the Rayburn clan. While searching for evidence in his case, John finds something disturbing from the family's past.

Please note that you should NOT discuss episodes that are numerically after the one in the thread you are in. Thanks!

Nice to have another episode without those silly flash-forwards.  

Kevin is an annoying, little twit.  Ugh.

So what happened to Sarah was an accident, but the family covered up the father beating the crap out of Danny.  And, the mother went along with it.  Interesting.  

Jeez this show is killing me.  I'll think I know what is going on or what happened, and then boom! I don't!  I won't know what did happen, but I'll know my theory was wrong. I could seriously sit and mainline the series in one sitting, but have admirably (if I do say so myself) resisted because ...well, life, responsibilities, obligations...boring shite.

I'm loving that all the characters have flaws - I like all the Rayburn kids and I dislike them at the same time, but it keeps shifting.  Feeling the least sympathetic towards Mom though.

So it seems from what this ep revealed, the sister got hurt, Dad took the time to beat on Danny before going to the hospital, John at some point lied to Det Potts about Danny getting hit by a car while Dad was at the hospital.

The whole slow burn of the story is awesome - and totally against what tv has trained me to expect.  And good guys who aren't always good?  Bad guys who aren't always bad?  My whole world is askew.

And as a person who grew up in So Florida, I so love how much beer they drink.  It is accurate, at least based on my experiences.

• Love 3

I don't think I've seen Kevin without a green bottle in his hand. 

Danny seems so much more likable after finding out what his father did to him and how his family covered (covers) it up.  Poor kid, at this point it looks like it was an accident and he did not deserve the blame.  At the same time, the siblings are sinking further and further into an likable mess.  

• Love 1

Striking how parents like the Rayburns can completely control their children, even at this age. Mythologized father controls his kids, even from the grave. I loved how Kyle Chandler seemed like he was going to let loose on the dad during the eulogy, and then he pulled back ... great writing and great performance.

I also loved the Danny and John's interactions with Det. Potts. Ben Mendelsohn, in particular, absolutely nailed teenaged-boy-in-trouble mannerisms. I could feel his discomfort. Brilliant work.

Meg annoys me a lot. At first I thought it was Linda Cardellini's performance; she didn't seem to inhabit her character the way the rest of the actors do. But now I think it really is part of the character—pretending to be perfect and "acting" in front of everyone while really she is living a lie. I'd rather go with this theory, because I like her work so much.

• Love 2

I'm just now watching this and my first comment is that when Dad dropped dead I thought "good." I am not crazy about Mom, either. Don't get me wrong -- love Sam Shepherd and Sissy Spacek, but I find their characters to be really unlikable, which I think is on purpose. Two things stand out for me: one is that they seem to be caught up in maintaining this picture-perfect life (which the kids seem to buy into); everything all seems to be about appearances. The other impression I have is that they abdicate a lot of responsibility to their kids so they don't have to accept the consequences of their shitty choices (such as the kids had to decide whether or not Danny could stay - wtf?). Neither parent wants to make a decision or be the heavy and they seem to leave the heavy lifting to the kids. Granted, they're adults, but it makes me wonder how long that dynamic has been going on.

• Love 2

I agree--I think I started to dislike the mom from the first scene she was in, where some guests were begging her for their favorite room and she said it was impossible this weekend.  Sissy Spacek just seemed a little bit smug, with her perfectly beat-up ol' straw hat.  

Now, I can understand making a decision as a family when it's a family business.  But not the way the dad just left it up to John, Meg, and Kevin--who know Dad has all but disowned Danny.  Dad tried to make them take the heat, and at the same time, John turned it around and let Dad take the heat (by letting Danny think it was Dad's decision).  Very believable patterns of behavior.

• Love 1