Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Part 3

With Robert's condition uncertain, Danny re-considers staying in Islamorada. Meg's personal and professional obligations become overwhelming.

Please note that you should NOT discuss episodes that are numerically after the one in the thread you are in. Thanks!

I'm so confused. "I think you should stay" and then, "we gave him so many chances to leave". What??

So the body that was burnt and drowned. Were they on the boat for some reason? Or did they try to help somehow? I don't know if I missed something.

And was there another daughter? I briefly wondered if Meg was abused. 

• Love 1

Anyone else think it would be hilarious if the dead girl just showed up in one scene in every episode and never had anything to do with anything else?

If not hilarious, it would certainly be a unique approach to storytelling.  

And was there another daughter? I briefly wondered if Meg was abused. 

Sarah Rayburn.  I think she was the woman Danny "saw" on the bus wearing the seahorse pendant on her necklace in episode 1.  

Danny blackmailing his little sister was a fun scene.  Even in death (I'm assuming), poor Meg has always lived in her older sister's shadow.  Curious to learn why Danny refers to Meg as "Mister."

• Love 2

Yeah I'm assuming that Danny is "haunted" by the woman (Mia Kirshner).  Not sure if she is Sarah Rayburn or some woman from Danny's past.  Considering she is wearing the necklace I'm assuming that she is Sarah.  Or Danny kept Sarah's necklace and gave it to this woman from his past at some point.

• Love 1

enchantingmonkey, how do you know about Sarah??

Being the woman Danny "saw" on the bus?  I saw Mia Kirshner listed as "Sarah Rayburn" on the show's wiki page, so I went and watched that bus scene again.  That's when I realized she was wearing the seahorse pendant.  

• Love 2

I finally realized Danny referring to Meg as "Mister" is a mash-up (also known as a portmanteau) of "Meg" and "Sister."  The show can be a bit confusing but I think things will start fitting together like a puzzle.  Don't forget that these are the same people responsible for Damages.

• Love 4

Thanks em I realized I had only watched half of episode 3.  Binge watching this show on my computer has made me a little confused.  I like this show but not because of the pilot.  I am up to episode 6 and can't get enough.  

Kyle is great as is the whole cast, but Danny is the heart of the show.  I cannot believe he is Australian. 

• Love 2

This a haunting, awesome mystery and I feel invested in all the family members. The music is a wonderful complement. And the Florida Keys location is stunning. Everything is working for me.

Seems like we know Danny is dead but they are setting it up as lots of people could have done it. Then there is a coverup I think. 

Curious to see how this Sarah stuff fits in. 

Also, seriously Danny - you worked like one day and wanted a paycheck? How about free room and board and helping your family get through a crisis? I'm not sure if he ever did one big thing to annoy his family but he's a dick in general.

• Love 4

This a haunting, awesome mystery and I feel invested in all the family members. The music is a wonderful complement. And the Florida Keys location is stunning. Everything is working for me.

Seems like we know Danny is dead but they are setting it up as lots of people could have done it. Then there is a coverup I think. 

Curious to see how this Sarah stuff fits in. 

Also, seriously Danny - you worked like one day and wanted a paycheck? How about free room and board and helping your family get through a crisis? I'm not sure if he ever did one big thing to annoy his family but he's a dick in general.

Interesting take that Danny is already dead.  It seems that John is the one who put him on the boat and started the fire.  

I don't know what to think of Danny.

• Love 1

I got the feeling Meg and Sarah were twins and Meg died and Sarah became Meg?  Like the family claimed Sarah died instead for some reason.  

I had a brother a lot like Danny so it's a little uncomfortable.  

I got the feeling Meg and Sarah were twins and Meg died and Sarah became Meg?  Like the family claimed Sarah died instead for some reason.  

This scenario actually did cross my mind in the beginning. 

Yeah, this.   Going through his sister's purse?  Come on.  You don't go in a woman's purse.  Ever.   It's just ... wrong.  

Something about Danny, the way he seems to have one foot in this world, one foot in the next ... how he exercises his right to be "out there" ...  the  dickishness ... his role as a general irritant .... he reminds me a bit of Floki from Vikings.  

I was surprised to recognize Chloe Sevigny as Eric O'Bannon's sister.   Kind of a low-key role for her.

• Love 3

I don't think they were twins, though, because when John and his son were watching the video, John said it was "Meg's birthday," plus, Sarah looked older than Meg did.

I'm becoming redundant, but I also had that brother, so it's a bit eerie for me as well.

• Love 1

I don't think they were twins, though, because when John and his son were watching the video, John said it was "Meg's birthday," plus, Sarah looked older than Meg did.

I'm becoming redundant, but I also had that brother, so it's a bit eerie for me as well.

My condolences.  

Good catch on the twins thing.  

The look of this show is beautiful. Everything just looks so moist. 

The acting in this is very good and I sort of like how Danny appears to be the "bad" one at the outset but it's gradually revealed that the rest are also messed up, just a little better at hiding it. 

The dad is pretty creepy. 

• Love 3

The look of this show is beautiful. Everything just looks so moist.

The acting in this is very good and I sort of like how Danny appears to be the "bad" one at the outset but it's gradually revealed that the rest are also messed up, just a little better at hiding it.

The dad is pretty creepy.

Everything does look moist! Lol! I really like hownthe characters look "weathered," like how someone would look like when the sun has been beating down on them for years.

I feel for these characters, which is nice.  I totally get their attitude towards Danny....he's their brother and they want to WANT him back but everytime he is a dick (naked on the pier?) they quickly retract, which becomes a vicious circle. 

Still don't really understand how Danny ended up on the pier, naked.  He seems to be haunted by his sister, which makes me think maybe he had something to do with her death and that's why Dad hates him.  I guess we'll find out.

• Love 2

OK, now I am confused. In Episode 1 (I think) Danny was at an outdoor bar with a dark-haired woman wearing a seahorse pendant. The woman from the bus, it looked like. I'm fuzzy on what happened next - Danny got mad and overturned the table, and we saw scenes of him in an underwater struggle. So all of this is either in his head, or a flashback to his sister's death?

Also, are things from the wiki allowed?

Danny is creepy. He is threatening. He is snakelike. The show itself is very slow-moving, yet I have a constant feel of unease, especially in any scene where he appears.

The show is also getting creepy to where I think I'll start watching it in broad daylight.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 2

So I guess Kevin no longer believes that Danny had anything to do with their dad's stroke? despite Danny saying he hit him over the head with a paddle? I guess I misread that scene. Was that actually supposed to be Danny yelling out in frustration at the blame and Kevin realizing that he was in fact being ridiculous in blaming Danny?

• Love 1

Just started watching this show.  The mood reminds me of Top of the Lake.  I can't figure out if Danny is really dead in the flash-forward scenes we've seen.  I'm hoping not--mostly because I enjoy storytelling where things are not what they seem to be.

I'm a little hung up on a couple things about the storyline with the will, though.  I get that Meg is conflicted about not having fulfilled her dad's wishes, but:

1.  Wouldn't the dad (before the stroke) have known that he had never signed a new will changing his estate?  I mean, this is not all on Meg--if he asked her to change his estate, and then she never gave him anything to sign, he has to be aware of that.  She should just leave things alone now.

2.  It seems like the will question has taken on new urgency because of the possibility that the dad won't recover, but...the mom is still alive.  Wouldn't someone's will normally split up their estate among the kids only if the other spouse was dead?

Maybe this will all be cleared up in the later episodes, since there's clearly a slow unrolling of details going on.

• Love 4
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2015 at 10:23 AM, Misstify said:

I'm a little hung up on a couple things about the storyline with the will, though.  I get that Meg is conflicted about not having fulfilled her dad's wishes, but:

1.  Wouldn't the dad (before the stroke) have known that he had never signed a new will changing his estate?  I mean, this is not all on Meg--if he asked her to change his estate, and then she never gave him anything to sign, he has to be aware of that.  She should just leave things alone now.

2.  It seems like the will question has taken on new urgency because of the possibility that the dad won't recover, but...the mom is still alive.  Wouldn't someone's will normally split up their estate among the kids only if the other spouse was dead?

Maybe this will all be cleared up in the later episodes, since there's clearly a slow unrolling of details going on.

I've just now started this series. I had the same questions as above since I'm a nit-picker  even when watching TV. Your point #1 is excellent - without signing a new will Dad would know the old one was still in force and he apparently hadn't pushed the issue. Perhaps he went to a different attorney?

Also - cutting someone out of your will (particularly a child) is something that you (future dead person) will never have to deal with in terms of emotional fallout after the fact. Asking your daughter to do that was awful, and I don't blame Meg one bit for stalling. As for #2 I suspect that Dad's will spreads the ownership of the business so that his wife is not left to deal with everything on her own legally.

One aspect of this show really bugs me. The number of times that one of the family members pulls another aside for a private conversation. Every episode so far shows practically every combo of sibling vs. sibling or parents vs. sibling chat. Next scene, next conversational pairing.  And that leads to a terrible telephone-like game of misunderstanding and misinformation  being passed around. All these separate conversations keep everyone in the dark and I just feel there's enough tension and drama already. Like rather than having six conversations about Danny's reappearance, "I thought he left?" "No he's back," how about sending a group text for god's sake?  Or Danny asking John to ask Dad about coming home (which has spawned a hell of a lot of drama vis a vis whose decision it was). I don't care what we went through as kids, I'm not playing messenger on such an important issue between adults. But I also only have one sibling, and our whole family is pretty low-communication so all this talking sounds exhausting.

And I immediately recognized the actor playing Kevin: he's the a-hole surgeon on Mercy Street! (PBS).

On 3/27/2015 at 10:45 PM, JBC344 said:

Considering she is wearing the necklace I'm assuming that she is Sarah.  Or Danny kept Sarah's necklace and gave it to this woman from his past at some point.

I just went back and re-watched the two short scenes with Sarah and she wasn't wearing the seahorse pendant in either one, so I'm confused as to how people have figured out the woman on the bus with the seahorse pendant is Sarah? I mean, the woman being a vision of a now-grown Sarah and only existing in Danny's mind would explain a lot of things that were confusing in the first episode so I'm not disputing it, I'm just wondering how folks have figured it out already.

Maybe the reveal is from a future episode (I don't binge watch - I'm only up to Episode 3 so far). That's the one disadvantage to Netflix series - I love reading discussion of episodes including all the speculation that normally goes along with that, which is pretty much impossible in a series where most of the commenters have already seen the entire series. I do realize I'm in the minority :) Well, plus I'm a year behind in even discovering this series, so I really have no grounds for complaining, lol.

On 4/1/2015 at 9:41 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think a lot of us did, and I totally agree. The family dynamics are so realistic, it is uncomfortable. Watching the Emmys a few days ago is what put this show on my radar, I hadn't heard of it before. I'm all, oh, that's what Kyle Chandler is up to these days! I'm happy Ben Mendelsohn won, he's amazing. He's breaking my heart. The type of character you shouldn't root for, but you can't help yourself. I keep hoping the flash-forwards aren't what they seem, as unlikely as that probably is.

• Love 2