Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E25: Welcome To The Dollhouse

I remember Marlene saying something about how the A reveal wasn't going to be exactly what it was being billed as, so I knew not to expect everything answered.

One interesting thing that someone pointed out on Twitter. Mama Hastings identified the farm as Campbell Apple Picking Farm. Andrew's last name is Campbell.

I absolutely loved this episode. It was batshit crazy in all the ways that I expect from a PLL finale. When they started with the prom stuff, I turned to my friend and said that I hope A's entire motivation hasn't been because he didn't get asked to the prom.

I'm not totally sold on Andrew being Charles, though. I feel like they were making it too obvious, which makes me think it's going to be a red herring. Spencer said something about it being Melissa and Ian's prom. Even though it seemed like a throwaway line to include Ian, I also don't think there are throwaway lines in this show. It's been a while since there was any mention of Ian. We know he's the same age as Jason, since they went to school together. What if Ian is Charles? They never found his body. He was creepily into Ali, which made little sense given their age difference. He's a part of the NAT Club, which still has to have some sort of payoff. 

• Love 9

I call bullshit on A/Charles having a soul.   I can look past the crazy things that he's done, but he's kept Mona for months in that dollhouse alone, denied her food and water, and showed her pictures of her funeral. Nope.  

Speaking of which- I've been spoiled about this episode for a while, but I am still miffed that we saw that scene of Mona dead in the trunk and now she's alive with no explanation. If we didn't see her body I'd be okay, but that's just flat out bad story-telling.

All of the awards tonight go to Spencer, Hanna, Mona, Caleb, and Spencer's parents.

Why is it that the girls are so great when they pretend to fight?  Reminds me of that scene when they're in the orange jumpsuits picking up trash from way back.  

Soooooooo how long until we find out that Charles isn't really A?

• Love 10

Andrew can't be Jason's twin, he's too young. 

What I can't wrap my head around is why he's torturing Ali and not Jason. 

Unless he got sent away because he broke Ali's arm and he blames her for everything. 

• Love 1

Andrew could be pretending to be younger than he is. Jason doesn't look much older than the girls, so I'd buy it. However, I agree that Andrew = Charles = Jason's twin is likely not actually true. It's too early for a real reveal like that.

• Love 3

Andrew can't be Jason's twin, he's too young.

What I can't wrap my head around is why he's torturing Ali and not Jason.

My immediate reaction was that he can't be Jason's twin because he's too young too. But he could be the middle DiLaurentis sibling.

If he's their sibling, twin or not, then maybe he broke Alison's arm when she was a toddler and it only got worse so theyear sent him away. But wouldn't Ali and Jason remember another sibling? And if not both of them at least Jason because he was old enough to know he had siblings.

He could be pretending to be younger, but wouldn't that be hard to keep up? And we did only meet him around the time Mona went to Radley right?

Edited by momma2rnr

What if he is Jason's twin, but was the "good" one and was sent away for something Jason did? That could give him motive, it doesn't explain why he would torture the girls, but it would at least explain why was so angry, I guess.

• Love 1

Here are a few thoughts I have.  Mind you, they make no sense because this stupid show makes no sense and I'm a little angry, but here goes:

• Andrew could be Jason's twin. He uses the name Campbell because he has special family memories of them all being together on Campbell farm.  This also breaks the fourth wall a bit and addresses our concerns about Andrew looking like a damn 35 year old man.
  • Andrew isn't Jason's twin, but he's helping Charles out.  Maybe he rented the space to him or something and just discovered A's secret database, which is what he was listening to when Melissa called.
  • Charles switched with Jason after Jason fell down an elevator shaft and just WALKED OUT OF THE HOSPITAL.  That doesn't just happen.  This also explains the sudden change in attitude Jason had towards the girls.  Remember all of those pictures of Aria that Jason had?  Maybe that was Charles, not Jason. This was before the elevator thing, but Jason's behavior was shady back then.  One minute he was fine with the girls and the next he acted like they killed his puppy.  The cordial Jason was Jason and the bitter Jason was Charles.  We just didn't know to watch for differing behavior.  There were also a few instances in which Jason randomly changed clothes or had facial hair.  Perhaps there were two of him wandering around at one point. This also means that Andrew can't be Charles because he would need to be identical to Jason.  Jason also didn't need much coaxing to turn Ali in because well, it was all a part of his plan anyway.  The switch also helps with why his memories are so inconsistent with everyone else's.
  • The Jason twin theory was also brought up when Mrs. D was covering for whoever hit Ali.  We said then that it was either Jason or his twin.  

Also, I heard Janel say "Previously on Pretty Little Liars" and I knew Mona was alive. Still cackled when I saw her in that Ali outfit!

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 4

It doesn't surprise me that this involves Jason somehow. To me, it almost had to. We were running out of characters, number one..but he was connected to everything..the main two families..NAT club..etc..I was personally hoping they wouldn't go the twin route, but I'm glad it's his twin. So A is Ali and Spencer's half brother...(assuming he's Jason's twin..which they look identical so..)

MK gave a list of top 5 episodes for clues, so I'll check that at some point. 

I don't think Andrew is Charles. He's too young. And he's also someone who they all knew for a while. But he's clearly involved in some way. 

This episode took creepy to a new level though. Excited to see where they take the show after these last ten episodes. 

Also..can I just..I love Caleb..brushing off Tanner's hand. The last episode of the series better involve at least an engagement with him and Hanna. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 5

Ok if Andrew is Charles and Charles is Jason's twin then Andrew is also Spencer's half-brother, which makes him asking her to make out and playing strip study quiz with her extra creepy. So I seriously hope that's not the case.

Someone pointed out that the farm the dollhouse is built on is called Campbell farms, so maybe it's his family's and he's just renting the place out and helping out A, either because he wants the money or maybe because he doesn't like the girls either since none of them would go out with him, except Aria half-heartedly.

Or maybe A didn't rent the farm from the Campbell but just took it over since it was abandoned and Andrew found out and is actually trying to help the girls? I don't know but suddenly making Andrew this huge crucial character is stupid to me, he was a good side character, someone outside of the A world that represented what the girls' lives could have been like if they were going through the normal high school experience. 

• Love 5

Skipped most of this season because I finally got fed up with going at a snail's pace. My friend convinced me that this finale solved a lot of mysteries. In keeping with this show, she is a liar. What a a waste of time. We learned pretty much nothing. My choice to ditch most of this season was a good one.

I will say that it was a nice touch having Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten" as the main song - it was popular 7 proms ago, when I was still in high school, and so it was fitting for Charles' prom taking place then.

Hanna's dress was awful. Someone in wardrobe should be fired.

Would they really make Jason a major player since the actor is also on Devious Maids? You think they'd make Big A someone who could go on contract.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2
What if Ian is Charles? They never found his body. He was creepily into Ali, which made little sense given their age difference.

But if Ian is Charles, and Charles is Jason's twin, didn't he sleep with his sister (Melissa)?

Maybe Charles is stuck there with them too and it's a different A.  Always hoped A was one of the four girls or one of their mother's knowing them and hating them for squandering their youth or some such psycho-logic.  I hope it's someone they know WELL.  I hope Ali is in on it bc why would this dude hate the girls so much ?– just bc they were friends with alison[?].  Marlene king said to tell each cast member who A  is took AN HOUR.  If she has to create some convoluted backstory rather than someone who interacts with them on a regular basis who HATES them rather than some randomness where it takes an hour for the creator/writer to explain the connection to the 4 girls to another cast member.  That’s why I think it’s dumb – Spencer says ‘Charles?’ like its supposed to mean something when it doesn’t….

• Love 2

I don’t get the timeline though. Spencer said the music was from 7 years ago when Melissa and Ian went to prom. So Melissa and Ian are 7 years older than the girls? And Charles is their age if he wanted to attend their prom. And if Jason is his twin, he’s also 7 years older. But in the video Spencer was watching where Allison is an infant, the boys didn’t look to be 7. They looked like they were 4 or so. I can't tell if they're identical though. 

• Love 3

What if Holbrook is Charles? He kinda looks like Spencer's dad.

Also, I heard this episode is supposed to tie into the Pilot, but I'm not sure how... it makes no sense.

I kind of thought it would be Melissa in a short wig. I thought it right up until the end. I still kind of think it's a possibility because hell, it's not like these writers have any idea either.

• Love 1

So after all all this, we get our big reveal. And A is...some random guy!!!

Alright, we know his name is Charles, he is probably related to Alison, and he clearly has WAY too much time on his hands. And we still don't see his face? LAAAAAME.

Actually, other than this really lame pay off, I really liked this episode. Loved seeing the Hasting parents being in the loop, especially when they were being lawyers for Caleb. The Hastings could have figured this whole thing out three seasons ago! Speaking of which, I cracked up at Spencer`s firs reaction to being in the Dollhouse is to hurl a chair at the wall. 

The Dollhouse was really creepy. All those models and old timey music. Brrrrrrr. Whoever Charles is, he is a creeepy creepy creep. He has as much of a soul as any bad guy who shows up on Criminal Minds.  

• Love 6

Did anyone else get a creepy Cabin By The Lake vibe during the "prom" scene? I half expected the mannequins to be dead bodies. I am still completely creeper out by the whole life size dollhouse thing... ick.

• Love 4

I was so impressed by all the answers we got and the big A reveal. </sarcasm>

This Charles nonsense is just another fakeout in the long list of fakeouts on this show.

That animation with the blocks in Spencer's dream was particularly bad.  Did they blow the CGI budget on all the TVs in A's lair ?

It seems kind of weird that the prisoner numbers on the PLLs orange jumpsuits are so very far apart from each other, because those are supposed to be actual assigned numbers, and they certainly don't re-use them.
Aria: 3272004
Spencer: 4031971
Hanna: 1011956
Emily: 82020???

What exactly was the significance of the product code number on the bottom of that chair Spencer smashed: JN-49162-B, UPC code: 000 23456 84564 8 ?  Because the camera lingered on that for a while.  Was it a product placement and everyone is supposed to go to Ikea and buy that chair ?

I also like the magic bedroom doors that can open and close despite having no means of power to open or close them (unless there are motors in the hinges, because A is just years  ahead of everyone technically-speaking).

How can A be this technical mastermind, but it slips his/her mind that the power goes out every night at midnight for 3 minutes exactly that leaves A blind and unlocks all the doors -- because that seems like a pretty big fuck up ?

Spencer decides to build an EMP out of random parts, despite the fact that she has only read about such things before -- let's just call her poor woman's McGyver.

What the fuck is with Andrew bluesnarfing Mrs. Hastings phone ?  How did he even know she was upstairs ?

So A had time to decorate that prom room with complete with dummies and new-fangled lighting, but completely missed Spencer's mystery wiring ?  When A presented himself/herself, why didn't the girls just rush him/her and beat the every living crap out of him/her.

More of Hanna running in that red dress, please.

How exactly did Spencer get separated from the group and end up in a different room ?  Did she get lost considering that she was right behind everybody else ?  Did something shiny distract her ?

And then to miraculously find an old 8mm film queued up and ready to play after the power ever so timely came back on showing Mrs. DiLaurentis holding baby Alison and watching her TWO sons.  And then when A approaches Spencer he/she manages to vanish in the 1-2 seconds she is distracted by Mona -- give me a fucking break.  Unless A is a witch or a ghost from Ravenswood, that's just impossible.

And the PLLs make it to the surface and fresh air only to find out that there is an electric fence charged to 10000 volts in the way of their escape.  And even if they did escape they are in the middle of nowhere.  And if A's lair was at that abandoned apple farm, how was he/she able to get back to this remote compound so quickly -- unless of course there is more than one A ?  I wasn't kidding when I guessed in one of the previous episode threads that this show seems like a cabin in the woods type scenario controlled by a team designed to fuck with them.  Because there's no way A could have had enough time, money or resources to pull all of this off unless there is a huge team of people monitoring every single moment or action of the PLLs 24x7.

Don't even get me started about the "cyberjacking" of the prison transport -- that was just beyond stupid.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

I just want to know how rich A is. That was actually a good episode.

The kid in the picture Mona picked up looks like Andrew, odd.

Jason can't have a twin because Bethany WHO by the way they've ignored all season.

Charles has brown hair, wonder who that is.

I guess the *Big A Reveal* was that the cops and parents were finally told about A. Which I'm happy with.I still want/expect the final season to be about catching A after they are *finally* revealed at the end of Season 6.

ONLY 48 MORE EPISODES TO GO YOU GUYS!!!

Edited by Bluerang1
  • Love 2

I don't understand, who cut arias hair? Between her getting booked and having a mug shot and going to the prison transport her hair lost several inches. Was there a beauty salon makeover before they could get into the prison van?

Also wouldnt the prom time line be Ezra's prom?

• Love 1

I definitely liked the whole Dollhouse aspect of the episode (aside from the suspension of disbelief on how a single 'A' can pull it off).

So since Tanner & Toby saw on the screen the Liars and Hanna clearly calling 'Alison', Mona, that means Alison will soon be released from prison since Mona's alive.

ONLY 48 MORE EPISODES TO GO YOU GUYS!!!

tumblr_mmeix9vj1g1r5xzspo1_500.jpg

So unsatisfying.  I feel drained by trying to figure out what in the world is going on.  Who's doing this?  WHY?  If A invested as much time in a job or education as they did in harassing these poor girls, he/she would rule the world.  The dollhouse was seriously creepy, especially the Alison mask and the prom full of mannequins.  A is heavily mentally ill.  I just want answers at this point and for it all to make sense.  Emily looked fantastic in the blue dress.

• Love 8

God that creepy Alison mask! And the whole scene in the beginning where it looks like Mona has been brainwashed into being Ali, that was all seriously disturbing.

Of course Mona is screwing with A, and is actually just doing her own version of The Maze Runner. Oh Mona. I missed you.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

I think it's Charles Andrew DiLaurentis. The question is why did Charles get separated from Allison and Jason and why does he hate the girls so much.

Help me out here.  I thought that Jason was Spencer's half brother; her father's child with Mrs. Di Laurentis.  If that's the case, how could the video with two little blonde boys and a little girl playing together fit?  Mrs. Di Laurentis had twins with Mr. Hastings?  And they were blonde?  And they played with Ali when she was very young? And Andrew is Jason's twin, (who must be fraternal because they're definitely not identical)?  And one of them broke her arm (I missed that. How did she get her arm broken?)?   Andrew looks much older than Jason to me.  What hole did Andrew crawl out of and when? I'm totally lost here.  Help!

• Love 1

Help me out here.  I thought that Jason was Spencer's half brother; her father's child with Mrs. Di Laurentis.  If that's the case, how could the video with two little blonde boys and a little girl playing together fit?  Mrs. Di Laurentis had twins with Mr. Hastings?  And they were blonde?  And they played with Ali when she was very young? And Andrew is Jason's twin, (who must be fraternal because they're definitely not identical)?  And one of them broke her arm (I missed that. How did she get her arm broken?)?   Andrew looks much older than Jason to me.  What hole did Andrew crawl out of and when? I'm totally lost here.  Help!

Marlene King, what are you doing posting here? ;) (I have no idea what the answers are. I've given up on logic and just watch now for the girls' friendship).

I think Andrew's that guy in the academic decathlon that Spencer did a striptease for. Definitely a throwaway character that they promoted to vital character in the Shana tradition.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 1

I read spoilers prior to the broadcast but was hoping that the episode would include more enlightening footage when it actually aired. Provided that Jason doesn't have a twin, one point that's probably irrelevant but worth mentioning: the series paid homage to Psycho in the episode that revealed Mona as the original A, and horror/suspense media has an extended history of gender-bending baddies or male villains whose sexuality is in crisis (like Norman Bates, Michael Caine in Dressed to Kill). Thus, it's remotely possible that Charles does not appear to be a man when he's not positioning himself for prom king. That would be consistent with how far out there and convoluted some of the story lines are on this program. However, I don't know if there are any characters that would be an appropriate age who are female. Although the reveal somewhat explained why Mrs. D was murdered, I have to add, among the questions and inconsistencies that others have pointed out: what does Charles have to do with Bethany Young, Jessica's involvement with and evident antagonism toward her, and the fact that Bethany was dressed identically to Alison when she was buried alive? Did, like, Mrs. D and/or Charles realize that Alison had crawled out of the ground? Why did A abduct Mona if he really wanted Alison (she wasn't arrested until Mona faked her demise, so why not just kidnap Ali)?

If Jason has a twin, then Charles is Spencers brother too. Yet he's going after her more than anyone and what did Hannah/Aria/Emily havel to do with anything about Charles and his family life.

I'm also guessing he's been in Bradley this whole time, that's where he met Mona.

I love Hannah fighting back to keep Caleb from being sent there. Team Ex/Boyfriends of Caleb, Toby, and Aria are great.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

Another theory:

PLL could go all Days of Our Lives and have the twins have different fathers.  Mr. D thought he sent the bastard twin away but sent the one that actually belonged to him instead.  Or maybe Jason actually belongs to him, I don't know.  But maybe that would clear up some of the incest. 

I keep thinking of how, many many episodes ago, Ashley told one of the other moms (Ella, I think) that anything bad in town always tracks back to Peter Hastings, or something to that effect. I think he's up to this in his ears somehow, especially since he and Mrs. Hastings were interrupted before they could go through the boxes.

But, another point - Jason and Charles, if they're indeed brothers as the video clearly wanted us to think, would be fraternal twins. And fraternal twins don't have to have the same father. (Yes, I've watched too many soap operas. Why do you ask?) That could matter.

But yet another point - that video doesn't confirm that the two boys we saw are brothers. The late lamented Mrs. D (miss you Andrea Parker!) only told one of the boys to kiss his sister.

Which brings me to my crazy theory, which was sparked by catching Andrea Parker's name in the opening credits and thinking, "Damn, I wish I hadn't noticed that. She's probably A somehow..." What if the boys we saw are cousins, and Jason's cousin Charles is the son of Mrs. D's sister, who is Mrs. D's twin? (And those are the twins the show has been hinting at forever.) Charles and Bethany are the sister's kids, and it was really she who was visiting Bethany. She "killed" Ali, and Mrs. D covered for her twin.

• Love 2

I don't know if Troian meant to play it this way, but it came off like Spencer was shocked to hear the name Charles because she knew the name. Do you think she could have memories of this sibling that Alison doesn't?

• Love 1

That was the most incredibly stupid episode they could have put together. First, I knew Mona wasn't dead, I figured she would be making some kind of appearance this episode. Second, what was the big A reveal? Charles? How is coming up with a random name giving us a big reveal? We know nothing more than we knew before. Third, Tanner is all of a sudden "Oooo, I may have made a mistake!"? I really thought the big A reveal was going to be she's involved. I guess Ali will be out of prison when the show comes back in the summer. Then we have these annoying things:

1. A took out a prison truck all by themselves, including guards who are trained to prevent those kinds of things from happening. I would include the police not even being able to find the truck, but this is the Rosewood police & they wouldn't be able to find A if A walked into the station & turned themselves in. 

2. Also, apparently A is a billionaire because they are able to buy an actual giant concrete bunker (why does Rosewood have concrete bunkers?), put in the fake bedrooms (did A do that themselves, or are there some construction guys wondering WTH did I just put together? and where is the bathroom?), the elaborate sound system, & all the monitors.

Andrew could be pretending to be younger than he is. 

Since he looks close to 40, he would have to be.

What exactly was the significance of the product code number on the bottom of that chair Spencer smashed: JN-49162-B, UPC code: 000 23456 84564 8 ?  Because the camera lingered on that for a while.  Was it a product placement and everyone is supposed to go to Ikea and buy that chair ?

I wondered that myself, I can't think of any reason for it, unless when the show returns Spencer suddenly remembers it & realizes it's the code to un-electrify the fence. That sounds about right for this stupid show.

And one nitpicky thing that just annoyed the hell out of me for some reason. When Mona was handing out the prom invitations, they were all clearly not sealed. The flaps were all flapping open, but then they showed Emily opening her clearly sealed invitation. Geez show, can't you get one teeny little minor thing like that correct so that it makes sense?

• Love 7

Look. Mona is back. Details, schmetails. That's all that REALLY matters.

Caleb literally giving Tanner the brush off was glorious, though. Bitch, you haven't earned the right to touch the godlike shoulder of Perfect Boyfriend Caleb™.

• Love 12

Ezra: Here is the location of like 200 boxes full of every piece of evidence we have about A and all of the Hastings' secrets. I'll make to sure say this out loud so I can be sure that tomorrow they will still be right where I left them.

• Love 11

The only decent thing in this episode were the prom dresses. Though the girls were wearing way too much makeup, which kind of ruined the effect somewhat.

If I hear the world "cyberjacked" one more time I am going to scream. What kind of a prisoners transportation van has freaking remote control anyway?!?

WHY, OH, WHY DIDN'T THE LIARS JUST ATTACK A! (sorry for the caps but I just had to). They kept repeating "it's five of us and one of him" but when push came to shove they ran away like chickens. Mona the ninja should have been able to kick his ass all on her own...

The plan to trick A was monumentally obvious, not to mention a rehash of the plan in 2.14. I know I complain a lot about the girls never getting the upper hand but come on, one camera for that huge hall? Having Spencer and Emily fight each other in orange jumpsuit to trick A - exactly as they did in 2.14? Their plan was so obvious a blind man could see it.

Oh, yes and Mona is back. The one half-decent thing they did in whole of S5 is now undone. Well done.

I suggest the rest of the show consist of nothing but fashion shows, balls, beach episode and other excuses for the girls to wear gorgeous and/or skimpy outfits. Clearly, that's the only thing the show does somewhat well these days. Include plenty of shirtless scenes with the men for balance and we will have a winner, folks!

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 4

---Let's face it, the fact that A has a name and it's not a name we've previously heard on the show ultimately just makes "Charles" the latest "Varjak"/"Board Shorts"/"Beach Hottie"/"Redcoat"/Codename du jour.

---So many things going through my head, but my chief thought from this episode is if A had Mona trapped in the Dollhouse all this time, wouldn't monitoring her be a pretty much fulltime thing?  Especially with Mona being...you know...Mona.  Trying to figure out times (besides those three minutes) where A wouldn't be watching what she was doing because A himself would have to sleep on occasion, go out shopping for new props (unless he just orders everything from Amazon), and especially tearing away to do all the things he does to the PLLs.  Despite Marlene's recent claim that "Currently there is one A", that just can't be true - A must have minions/other members of the team.  Who else is doing all the physical labor of building the Dollhouse?  Where did all those "Fake A's" come from in the season premiere in New York?  At the very least A would have to have a partner monitoring Mona live at all times because again - It's Mona!

---I doubt that that whole three minutes-like clockwork thing was a real deficiency.  I'm sure that was a deliberate set-up to allow Mona and later the Liars when they joined her think she had an actual window of opportunity/false sense of security.

---Yeah, there were heavy hints that Andrew = Charles (especially given Marlene's tweet regarding A would be seen without a mask/hoodie in the ep) = Jason's twin, but again the age thing doesn't gel.  Nor does Andrew being much more than simply a minion or assistant to A.  Andrew is too involved with numerous school activities/extracurriculars to have the time!  If he's involved in athletics and several different clubs, then he has a set schedule that keeps him ultra-occupied with along with several fellow students in each club that would expect to see him there.  

---The one thing that I am very very happy about (even moreso than Mona being alive) is that whoever A is appears to be connected with what I've always referred to as "the older generation" - i.e. the PLL's older siblings' class/age group - the Melissa/Jason/Ian/Garrett/Wren/Ezra(?) general age group.  I'm hoping this means that a lot of the How The A Game Started is connected with the formation/history of The NAT Club.  And since Jason was the founder of The NAT Club and this seems to tie in with him or a sibling/relative, I'm really optimistic that one of my longtime biggest wishes - for more revelations on NAT Club will happen.

I'll even take it one step further.  I'm hoping that once this arc is done that supposedly takes us to Season 6A finale that the next major storyline for the next season and a half ends us being some kind of outgrowth of NAT Club's history - not tied specifically to "A" himself, but some kind of repercussion/ripple effect.

---Even if Charles is a twin to someone - there's still got to be some kind of female twins or "doubles".  In the Christmas flashback, Mrs D was hiding two ***dresses***.  Granted whoever second dress was for doesn't necessarily have to be a twin in the literal sense but there's still a female/female doubling situation remaining to be revealed.  

---Along the same lines, it's still not 100% given that Charles is a male (or if he is, he could be gay or transgendered).  Most of A's "dialogue" (messages) have had that kind of catty sensibility that either comes from a female - or gay male sensibility.  Regardless, even if "A" is indeed no-question-about-it-no-sexual-confusion male, there's also no guarantee that Charles is indeed his name.  Just because Spencer figured it out from blocks doesn't mean that (a) she made the correct presumption.  (Though granted the longer anagrams of "Charles DiLaurentis" tends to give her conclusion some validation to the viewers at least - I don't think Spencer has actually made the connection yet that the three Phrases of Mystery were anagrams of C DL.) (b) this wasn't more "A" trickery.  You're A.  You have this dollhouse you're keeping live people in.  Everything in said house on display in areas you have them in will be seen by them.  Among those living dolls are people like Mona and Spencer who will be expected to find answers in everything/figure stuff out.  If you put seven alphabet blocks together, one of them is going to try to rearrange the letters to make some kind of sense looking for a clue.  If "A's real name is indeed Charles, he would have expected someone - most likely Mona or Spencer - to figure it out meaning he would have wanted them to do so.  Either this was A's unique way of "introducing himself" or it's just another way he's messing with their minds.

---I'm not "up" with a lot of the music from the last decade so I can't help but wonder how recent the prom music actually was - seven years ago from now (2015) or seven years from the year this show should actually be taking place in (2012?)  I'm willing to bet they went with the former.

--- "Hanna's dress was awful. Someone in wardrobe should be fired."  

Oh i dunno - it would be totally A's wicked sense of humor to deliberately give Hanna of all people an awful prom dress.

Edited by dwmckim
  • Love 1

---Along the same lines, it's still not 100% given that Charles is a male (or if he is, he could be gay or transgendered).  

If it turns out that Ali had a twin sister named Charlene who self identified as male (& that's why they put him in Radley) & eventually transitioned to male & calls himself Charles,  I'm done. 

• Love 7

If I hear the world "cyberjacked" one more time I am going to scream. What kind of a prisoners transportation van has freaking remote control anyway?!?

If CSI:Cyber taught me anything it is that anything and everything can and will get cyberjacked.

The best part of the episode was Spencer's parents and Tanner finding out about A. I'm looking forward to other people other than the liars being threatened by A and acting like absolute idiots because of it (besides acting like idiots in general, I mean).

• Love 4

---I'm not "up" with a lot of the music from the last decade so I can't help but wonder how recent the prom music actually was - seven years ago from now (2015) or seven years from the year this show should actually be taking place in (2012?)  I'm willing to bet they went with the former.

Unwritten, the Natasha Bedingfield song that was playing when the girls walked into the prom, was actually released in 2004(UK)/2005(US) so that actually is 7 years prior to 2012, so they actually got something right in terms of the timeline which is truly the most shocking thing to happen this entire episode. 

Edited by SadieT
  • Love 11

If it turns out that Ali had a twin sister named Charlene who self identified as male (& that's why they put him in Radley) & eventually transitioned to male & calls himself Charles,  I'm done. 

More likely that Jason had a twin brother who self identified as female & simultaneously idolized and envied/resented Alison.

• Love 1

It would explain why they have the very 30-something looking actor playing a supposed high school student. 

What's sad is that the actor was born in 1988. He's still got a few more years until 30.

Unwritten, the Natasha Bedingfield song that was playing when the girls walked into the prom, was actually released in 2004(UK)/2005(US) so that actually is 7 years prior to 2012, so they actually got something right in terms of the timeline which is truly the most shocking thing to happen this entire episode.

I liked that they said "seven years ago" instead of "2005." Keep that timeline vague, guys.

I actually graduated that year, and I remember our big prom songs being "True" by Ryan Carbrera and "Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani, but every school is different. "Unwritten" is right for the time period.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Also, they scene with the blocks was AWESOME. The Charles thing is dumb, but to see the way Spencer's mind worked was incredible.

I loved the look on Spencer's face when she had her Eureka! moment and figured it out but what I don't get is how she was able to visually recall and rearrange the blocks she saw for a few seconds hours earlier to spell out Charles, but when she literally had 3 different anagrams of the name Charles DiLurentis written down on a card in front of her face she couldn’t get it? And wouldn’t Mona have known his name was Charles already since she left the girls the card as a clue? Why was she calling him “it” and not telling the others what she knew, and why did she seem sort of surprised to learn his name from Spencer?

Edited by SadieT
  • Love 4

After all the 'we're totally not going in the same direction as the books' talk I'm going to be so pissed if they do go with the twin theory. Making Jason a twin instead of his sister is not a big difference. It's not really clever or anything. It's like they've run out of regular characters who can be suspected, so they decide to bring in someone new, someone they can explain as having always been there.

BTW, I love how so many people here, on twitter and everywhere are really dissapointed. After all the excitement of the 'big A reveal' it really was a let down.

Ian is dead, Melissa found his body and they all went to his funeral. He can't still be alive or am I missing something?

Andrew listening in on the phone call reminded me of when Emily saw Jenna, Shana and Melisaa together before the fire at the lodge. Something probably totally unelated that might never be adressed again. Logically speaking (and I know you can't really do that with this show...) how could Andrew have been there, listening to the call, and watch the dollhouse at the same time? That would logically mean he can't really be A.

Charles could be related to Bethany. Maybe he started out with trying to find out who killed her. I still want to know why Jessica had such interest in Bethany. If Charles was Bethanys brother or something he might have known about that and that she was in Rosewood the night she died. He might have known or suspected Bethany was the one burried there. Considering how everyone just ignored the Bethany story this season and we never actually saw a picture of her, she could be a twin. Everyone else in Rosewood seemed to believe at some point that the liars had something to do with Ali/Bethanys death, so why wouldn't Charles come to the same conclusion? If Andrew is Charles, it would at least not be so weird if he was Bethanys twin, who we've never seen.

I don't really get why Mona was supposed to Play Alison, but that might have been some stupid mind game.

I'm really happy Mona is alive, I do hate how they (and Janel) were all like 'yes, she's really dead', but I guess I should be used to that by now. Now I'd just like to know how A did it. Mona seemed to know who came into her room to 'kill' her, but she doesn't know who A is?

It just seems like they're making everything up as they go along, never mind what we told people so far.

Campbell Farm is probably going to be another red herring.

The boys working together for the girls is so cute. I love them for it. Tanner is finally acting like an adult, good for her.

And why did Charles have that little room filled with memories in the dollhouse and not in his lair if he is A? Did he want them to find it and why? And why didn't Spencer rip off the mask? That was the second time they just stared at him, so frustrating.

At least Ali will get out of jail. I really do admire Sasha for her acting, I think she's great. It'll be interesting to see Ali and Mona working together.

• Love 1