Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Line In The Sand

This was another good one. I doubt her show's format is going to survive with focusing on black community related topics; although I enjoyed the final segment about that Psychology Today article.

• Love 1

This episode was a bit much for me. While I appreciate Mara Brock-Akil trying to give black women's issues a platform, after a long day I really watch the show to be entertained. I felt like I was watching a cable news segment that I didn't sign up for. The last piece was too long. 

• Love 1

I loved this episode, that last piece was reality and it's better to deal with it than to stick your head in the sand.  I mean look at what happened to MJ when she parked in that spot and a douchebag called her a monkey?  Too many douchebags like that in the world.

• Love 3

I don't know.  I don't think failing to respond to Satoshi Kanazawa's asinine 2011 magazine article means that you validate and agree with it.  The premise is just so patently stupid in the first place, it doesn't warrant any serious rebuttal--I mean, no one's wasting any time arguing with the members of The Flat Earth Society. 

In a way, empanelling a group to discuss whether black women are "objectively less attractive" imbues the statement with a certain measure of credibility and legitimizes the idea that there's a question worthy of an actual debate.

• Love 8
(edited)

I don't know. I don't think failing to respond to Satoshi Kanazawa's asinine 2011 magazine article means that you validate and agree with it. The premise is just so patently stupid in the first place, it doesn't warrant any serious rebuttal--I mean, no one's wasting any time arguing with the members of The Flat Earth Society.

In a way, empanelling a group to discuss whether black women are "objectively less attractive" imbues the statement with a certain measure of credibility and legitimizes the idea that there's a question worthy of an actual debate.

I...don't know. Given that some folks deny things like climate change (and that debate has been raging for how long?), you never know which topic people will decide to stick their fingers in their ears and scream "LALALALALALA!"

I thought the panel was interesting. Plus, given that right this moment Buzzfeed just posted (like, April 2, Thursday morning) a piece on Cosmo magazine, where a couple months back in their trend coverage of what needed to stay and what needed to go, using many Black actresses and models to illustrate various trends that needed to die while using White actresses and models to illustrate what things they thought were on trend and beautiful tells me that it's not a matter of "Shhh. Don't talk about it and it'll go away." Plus, the panel was twofold.

I thought the magazine article was also a jumping off point to discuss the ways in which very many Black women will rally behind causes that affect Black men, but sometimes that rallying isn't reciprocated.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 7

In a way, empanelling a group to discuss whether black women are "objectively less attractive" imbues the statement with a certain measure of credibility and legitimizes the idea that there's a question worthy of an actual debate.

I totally agree, Candall. And also - what were we supposed to gain from that segment? Ok, the world thinks we're less attractive. Great. This is a problem. Ok - all stuff I already knew and wasn't really excited to be reminded of. I came away watching the segment feeling worse about something I already knew but don't really pay much attention to in the first place. Were we (black women) supposed to feel empowered after that segment? 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know.  I don't think failing to respond to Satoshi Kanazawa's asinine 2011 magazine article means that you validate and agree with it.  The premise is just so patently stupid in the first place, it doesn't warrant any serious rebuttal--I mean, no one's wasting any time arguing with the members of The Flat Earth Society.

Agreed, there is no point arguing something patently untrue and based on personal preference. The article was the equivalent of a troll in the comment section, and we all know not to feed the trolls. I wish they had used the panel to discuss something more substantive.

I thought the magazine article was also a jumping off point to discuss the ways in which very many Black women will rally behind causes that affect Black men, but sometimes that rallying isn't reciprocated.

This is what I meant by wishing they had used tthe panel for something more culturally relevant.

Plus, given that right this moment Buzzfeed  just posted (like, April 2, Thursday morning) a piece on Cosmo magazine, a couple months back in their trend coverage of what needed to stay and what needed, using many Black actresses and models to illustrate various trends that needed to die while using White actresses and models to illustrate what things they thought were on trend and beautiful tells me that it's not a matter of "Shhh. Don't talk about it and it'll go away." Plus, the panel was twofold.

Not calling you out, but are magazines even relevant anymore? I didn't even know Cosmo still existed, and can't think of anyone who still reads it. Certainly not looking to any fashion mag other than Essence or Latina to speak relevantly on diversity.

Liked that Patrick found out what's really going on, and used the $ to pay his daughter's bills. Tracy needs to stay in jail, and think about the consequences of her actions.

give me Suede and Vibe Vixen

Miss these mags so much, sniff.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff
  • Love 2

Not calling you out, but are magazines even relevant anymore? I didn't even know Cosmo still existed, and can't think of anyone who still reads it. Certainly not looking to any fashion mag other than Essence or Latina to speak relevantly on diversity.

I don't know what numbers Cosmo (and its ilk) pulls for its website, but the Buzzfeed thing was about the piece on Cosmo's website. I don't read Cosmo; it's never been my cup of tea even during my high school and college years (give me Suede and Vibe Vixen), but I think the larger issue still stands. I, personally, don't have to read the magazine/site, but if the discussion is about challenging the status quo on what is beautiful, etc. I choose not to be dismissive of the discussion. 

That was the best part of the panel.  And can't stick one's head in the sand and hopes that racism just disappears.  I mean look that the nonsense that was season 2 of Sleepy Hollow?  That was what happened when a white show runner felt that a black woman wasn't worthy enough to be in a starring role; that shit also happened in Person of Interest.  

• Love 3

Very good overall episode.  I thought the scene with MJ and Valerie where MJ talked about always being there for others, solving everyone else's problems and not getting the same concern in return was so well done.  For the first time, I liked Gabrielle's work.  She came across as honest and real unlike most other scenes where she appears to be simply speaking the lines without any connection to them.  

Patrick's story was heartbreaking tonight but was happy that the principal took an interest in him.  He definitely needs an ego boost right now!   Tracey needed not have been bailed out and I am so happy Patrick realized that and put the money to better use.

I didn't mind the panel at all.  I appreciated what all of them had to say.  Beyond that what I really took notice of was Kara appearing to suck her teeth or do a deep sigh regarding the subject matter that was being discussed.  She and MJ seem to be headed toward splitsville.

• Love 3

What was that?  Why was Kara being such an asshole throughout that meeting?  Why was that never addressed?

Seems like it stemmed from last week's episode when MJ and Kara butted heads over the direction of the Talk Back segment.  Also I think MJ felt a bit undermined when Kara didn't come straight to her with the ratings information a couple of episodes ago.  Plus MJ walked just got up and walked out of another meeting earlier. A lot is going on with them but not being said.  In last night's episode it started to get real with Kara.

The actress who played the principal was gorgeous. I'm not sure how I feel about a potential match between the principal and Patrick - he has a bit too much going on right now. I'd hate to have her put in a position to have to help/save him.

I was really bothered by MJ crying after being called ugly by some random dude whom she doesn't even know. He is no one, and he's an asshole, and she knows that she's not ugly, so why let someone of no consequence make her feel bad about herself? I know it's just a part of human nature, but at times I feel that women give men too much power over their self-worth. Ignore the critics, especially when they are clearly being malicious. It would have been so satisfying for her to respond to that man by saying "Whatever, you know you want this" and then walking away.

• Love 3

I was really bothered by MJ crying after being called ugly by some random dude whom she doesn't even know. He is no one, and he's an asshole, and she knows that she's not ugly, so why let someone of no consequence make her feel bad about herself? I know it's just a part of human nature, but at times I feel that women give men too much power over their self-worth. Ignore the critics, especially when they are clearly being malicious. It would have been so satisfying for her to respond to that man by saying "Whatever, you know you want this" and then walking away.

I get that it was setup to further give MJ a platform to discuss the Psychology Today article, but the scene felt tacked on. I'm not sure if it was the actor's delivery or what, but it was too much.  He was already an entitled asshole, then he escalated to racist entitled asshole when he called her a black bitch, but when he called her a monkey and I was like, ok, pump your brakes, Donald Sterling Jr. 

I'm not saying that people don't think that way, unfortunately.  I read yesterday about a guy that threw a banana peel on stage when Dave Chappelle was performing, but in this case, it was a bit too on the nose.

• Love 3

I wasn't bothered by MJ's reaction at all. No one likes being called ugly on their best day, and that guy's racist and misogynistic diatribe against her came at a time when she's already been rocked by a series of personal and professional setbacks and her confidence is shaken. Even if she realizes his insults are untrue on an intellectual level, her reaction was emotional.  Emotions aren't rational and her feelings are already raw. She's vulnerable........and human. I'm okay with her not being superwoman.

• Love 7

The actress who played the principal was gorgeous. I'm not sure how I feel about a potential match between the principal and Patrick - he has a bit too much going on right now. I'd hate to have her put in a position to have to help/save him.

So, I'm big on these "indie" networks that provide more storytelling opportunities for Black actors and content creators. One such outfit is Black&Sexy.TV, which has, after three years of providing content free of charge on YouTube, transitioned to paid monthly subscriptions via VHX. They continue to create original content on that platform. One series is called Sexless (about four friends two of whom are celibate and the other two who are virgins), and the actress (Khalilah Joi) who played the principal on BMJ plays Wendy on the show.

(PS. I have no stakes in B&STV. I'm just a big fan and have been for a few years now.)

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 1

So, I'm big on these "indie" networks that provide more storytelling opportunities for Black actors and content creators. One such outfit is Black&Sexy.TV, which has, after three years of providing content free of charge on YouTube, transitioned to paid monthly subscriptions via VHX. They continue to create original content on that platform. One series is called Sexless (about four friends two of whom are celibate and the other two who are virgins), and the actress (Khalilah Joi) who played the principal on BMJ plays Wendy on the show.

(PS. I have no stakes in B&STV. I'm just a big fan and have been for a few years now.)

Mozelle, you're a woman after my own heart! You share your name with a family friend and like the same show I as do!

I watch all their shows and pp. events. So much so that I ordered Hello Cupid on Vday and made hubby watch it with me! Lol, he's not as into it as I am,(I once spent the whole day on my porch watching That Guy, Hello Cupid, and RoomieLoverFriends) but I love what they are doing and am definitely going to support the movement! I read that their in talks to do something with HBO. I hope that doesn't ruin the integrity of their programming...sometimes, "Indie" is better...

Mozelle, you're a woman after my own heart! You share your name with a family friend and like the same show I as do!

I watch all their shows and pp. events. So much so that I ordered Hello Cupid on Vday and made hubby watch it with me! Lol, he's not as into it as I am,(I once spent the whole day on my porch watching That Guy, Hello Cupid, and RoomieLoverFriends) but I love what they are doing and am definitely going to support the movement! I read that their in talks to do something with HBO. I hope that doesn't ruin the integrity of their programming...sometimes, "Indie" is better...

Yay! You and I like all of the same shows on their network. (As an aside, Mozelle is my tribute to Aunt Mozelle in Eve's Bayou. She's one of my favorite characters played by one of the my favorite actresses. That's Debbi Morgan as her in my avatar.) 

I hear you about their HBO deal. On the one hand, I'm excited (I believe it's The Couple that is in development), but like you, I hope the essence of what makes Black & Sexy Black & Sexy doesn't get watered down.

• Love 1