Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files Revival: The Truth is in Here

Do you think that he's a bad guy? There's been some speculation from both sides. I wonder why so much emphasis has been placed on his conservatism.

I think so.

Probably to be a counter to Mulder. But he seems to be a Bill O' Reilly type/conspiracy theorist. Still makes no damn sense why she'd ever date a guy like that. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Very cool interview--thanks!

I hope that we get some more news on Tuesday.

You're welcome! He's the second cast member to say that fans really helped out with getting the new series. It's pretty neat.

I hope so too :). Of the positive kind.

• Love 1

Here's something that doesn't make sense to me: why does Mulder kiss Scully in front of Tad if Tad has dated Scully in the past? Not a good way to get on Tad's good side. (Never thought I'd have to use a sentence like that to describe The X-Files, but there we go.)

• Love 1

Here's something that doesn't make sense to me: why does Mulder kiss Scully in front of Tad if Tad has dated Scully in the past? Not a good way to get on Tad's good side. (Never thought I'd have to use a sentence like that to describe The X-Files, but there we go.)

Very good point. And it's the first time that they've ever kissed in public. That stood out to me. 

This is off topic, but does anyone remember that ugly UFO comforter in IWTB?

Heh.  The object of so much chatter fanfic was written to explain how they wound up with it?  Yes, I remember.

• Love 3

http://www.lematin.ch/people/XFiles-La-verite-est-a-Neuchtel/story/10780254

Some new interviews were posted on Haven last night (I finally made an account).

This is off topic, but does anyone remember that ugly UFO comforter in IWTB? Apparently they saved it for X-Files 3. Maybe it'll make an appearance in the revival if we ever get a shot of Mulder's bed...

Lmao. Good catch!

Thought that Scully would have had it burnt by now XD. But to be fair, let's say I want to believe in that damn thing! :p

And I found an interesting quote from that interview:

Mulder and Scully will they a couple?

We will answer this question in the first episode. So patience. (He smiles.)

He's up to something. The little shit :p.

And omg... for some reason my mind went straight to the gutter. I think we're in for something. We're definitely NOT in Kansas anymore, that's for sure O_O. He's getting straight to the point for once.

• Love 1
(edited)

http://livestream.com/accounts/9116901/events/4169892

Another interview with CC (skip to 10:00)

Some excerpts:

"We're not pretending that they're young. Even though some people are calling this season 10 of the show, we're being honest to the passage of time and to what those characters would be doing in this time and space. You're going to get an older, wiser Mulder and Scully."

(in response to a question about old fans)

"That's most important. I don't want to insult the old--what I would call the hardcore audience---by having to take them back through what the show is. I don't want to bore them out of their skulls; they are the reason The X-Files is coming back. So I best be mindful of them, but I also want to think about a new audience---people who are coming to it new. I've found a way---I believe that I have found a way---to appeal to both audiences."

Edited by Hidebehind
  • Love 1

I know a lot of people are freaking out on Haven, but that interview seemed positive to me. I think all of these spoilers will either turn out to be false or will make a lot more sense once we get more context.

• Love 1

I've found a way---I believe that I have found a way---to appeal to both audiences."

That's always difficult, and he didn't do a very good job on that front with either FTF or IWTB.  Hopefully, since six episodes vs. one film gives him more time to unfold both exposition and new action, it will be smoother this time.

It's funny - or sad - how far down my list of worries that is.  Because it should be near the top, but I'm so focused on not fucking up Scully or the Scully/Mulder relationship that my cares about overall quality - of the stories they tell and the way they tell them - are secondary.

I know a lot of people are freaking out on Haven, but that interview seemed positive to me. I think all of these spoilers will either turn out to be false or will make a lot more sense once we get more context.

Yea I saw it, it seems as if they understand social media. So I can see how certain spoilers could turn out to be plants or might be better understood as things go on.

Oh fuck... someone on Haven just talked to Maria Danger via Twitter. Here's the exchange.

Source: her Twitter feed

What she said: 

I once was, but I like how their relationship has matured. Who they've become apart interests me 2 #EveryoneGrowsUp

Annnd I barfed in my mouth :X. WTF?! Since when does that mean anything?

So now Scully is a Republican idiot? I don't see how that ever could be mature... this makes no fucking sense.

I smell one HUGE 2X4 of misdirection here. It reminds me of the spoilers that are out. 

I think that the Marla person just kind of enjoys playing with people. I guess my main question is, do they reconcile and how quickly? I can't imagine CC ending the whole thing with M&S NOT together (and he sure is introducing a lot of romantic tension to heighten the drama). I really doubt that Tad will be any kind of actual threat on an emotional level - I can see them playing him as more Fowley-like in nature. However, to also present M&S as united when investigating random cases, we can't have them at total odds. I am wondering if we'll see something like:

• M&S have been estranged, but are ... close? About to get back together?
  • Tad and events of ep 1 / 2 add a bit more tension.
  • Romantic tension carries over to MOTWs.
  • M&S get back together for real and are recommitted following myth arc drama.

Otherwise:

• M&S are totally estranged, forced back together during ep 1 / 2
  • M&S investigate MOTWs (I have a hard time with this if it is coming off of total estrangement?)
  • M&S get back together and are recommitted following myth arc drama.

Most unlikely to me:

• M&S are estranged, forced back together during ep 1 / 2
  • M&S investigate MOTWs
  • M&S decide not to be together 
  • Love 1

Good points! Still hate that they're going at things with the whole Fowl One shit again -_-. It's really cheap.

What you mentioned could be plausible. And to add to it, maybe Chris realizes that he was too implied with their relationship and he wants to make up for it? *shrugs*

My guess: That it's a fake separation for some reason, and Scully 'dates' Tad to get information. I still think there's something big they're hiding.

• Love 1

Oh, sorry!

If this was taken from the second episode, I think it's safe to assume that

1) Scully's back at the FBI

2) She's working with Mulder

I'm guessing they're infiltrating the house of the "Band-aid Nose Man." 

Oh, sorry!

If this was taken from the second episode, I think it's safe to assume that

1) Scully's back at the FBI

2) She's working with Mulder

I'm guessing they're infiltrating the house of the "Band-aid Nose Man." 

No problem! :)

Yep probably.

(edited)

Yes, that's what I thought, too.

What do you think inspired Scully to rejoin the FBI? It's possible that Scully changed her mind within the past seven years, but I assume there will be some sort of cataclysmic event in the first episode that gets the ball rolling. Some people are speculating that Sveta gets blown up---I guess that could do it?   

Oh, and according to that twitter source, they are filming again at Riverview this week

Edited by Hidebehind

Yes, that's what I thought, too.

What do you think inspired Scully to rejoin the FBI? It's possible that Scully changed her mind within the past seven years, but I assume there will be some sort of cataclysmic event in the first episode that gets the ball rolling. Some people are speculating that Sveta gets blown up---I guess that could do it?   

Oh, and according to that twitter source, they are filming again at Riverview this week

That's what I was thinking. I think it'll be something to do with William.

Ah.

Hoping for a grisly death for Tad tbh though. Don't like. Don't like AT ALL. 

(edited)

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44798

Some info about the third episode.

ABS, I don't think William will get much more than a passing mention in the revival (I could be totally wrong). I can't say for certain, but CC maintains that he has "one regret," and I honestly think he's referring to William. I don't think he wants to address that storyline at this point. It IS interesting that there's a lot of photos from season 8 and 9 on that clipboard, though... 

http://thex-fileslexicon.blogspot.com/2010/04/m-word.html

This is an interesting read, and maybe somewhat related to the third episode. Apparently he's very attached to the idea of a weremonster.

Edited by Hidebehind
(edited)

CC was at some convention thing today and said some stuff about the revival

• It'll end on some sort of cliffhanger
  • He wants to do another movie with a bigger budget
  • They'll explore the fact that M&S have a kid together
  • We'll see the Lone Gunmen in a way we've never seen them before
  • He says there's a huge emphasis put on social media, which to him means a huge focus on appealing to young people
  • The first and last episode will be mythology, the rest will be MOTW

There's probably some other stuff that I'm missing. If you follow blogs on tumblr or the twitter account @jessahmewren, then you can see some other quotes from his talk.

Edited by M.F. Luder

Thanks for the info you guys!

Given his past history of secrecy and what he said recently about being less secret...

I think that he's trying a new tack here.

Letting out a BIT of truth. Basically the 'they're separated.... Tad' thing. They're trying to get us to be EMOTIONAL. And that leads to distraction.

And all of this... was right soon after a lot of us (on all different forums, and other forms of social media) had guessed that M & S might be married.

I did and I STILL do think that's awfully suspicious. That smells. Period. There's no other way of putting it.

There is a LOT we do not know. And as for the whole 'frustrated lovers' thing by EW... that doesn't really say either way what the state of their relationship is, other than what THEY want it to seem like.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44798

Some info about the third episode.

ABS, I don't think William will get much more than a passing mention in the revival (I could be totally wrong). I can't say for certain, but CC maintains that he has "one regret," and I honestly think he's referring to William. I don't think he wants to address that storyline at this point. It IS interesting that there's a lot of photos from season 8 and 9 on that clipboard, though... 

http://thex-fileslexicon.blogspot.com/2010/04/m-word.html

This is an interesting read, and maybe somewhat related to the third episode. Apparently he's very attached to the idea of a weremonster.

Maybe. That's a good point. 

And now he's CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.

From a member on Haven:

I'm watching CC's Neuchatel public conference http://livestream.com/nifff/events/4163481. This is what he's told so far:

- CC implies that CSM is not dead (he died in the series finale but that was not the series finale and CSM is not dead)
- CC acknowledges the huge role of social media and "youthful audience"
- CC speaks the new episodes as "first six episodes"
- there will be a cliffhanger at the end
- if there is another movie it must be a big budget movie
- dmdcash already posted CC's comment on him wanting to reward the old audience but not at the expense of bringing new audience

Source: 1121susanna, via Haven

Annnd I think I'm OUT OF HERE. Bringing CSM back to life is the last damn straw. That's cheap period.

He's living in denial. He thinks it's on the first six. Well damn man... you have to get those ones right before moving onto ANYTHING else. And from what we've learned so far, I doubt he'll get anymore than that.

More from 1121susanna,

More from the public conference:

- we will see LGM in a way we have never seen before

- Mark Snow will do the music

It'll be a Broadway musical! XD

Sorry, but I'm so O_o right now I had to do that.

A cliffhanger? I hope it's not a big one. There's never a guarantee that they'll be able to make another movie...

And yeah, even if the spoilers turn out to be true, they probably sound a lot worse than they actually are just because we're missing context. 

I don't know...I remember thinking the same thing about the season 8 spoilers, and I think they were even worse with context, because the context made the events even more annoying. I hope that I'm pleasantly surprised this time. I just think Chris is so oblivious sometimes, that I can't really put much faith in his ability to tell a coherent story that's also true to character and the events that happened throughout the series.

I don't think it will be a big cliffhanger, probably something like The Truth, which is very open ended, but not necessarily a cliffhanger.

• Love 1

A cliffhanger? I hope it's not a big one. There's never a guarantee that they'll be able to make another movie...

And yeah, even if the spoilers turn out to be true, they probably sound a lot worse than they actually are just because we're missing context. 

Exactly. Hell I DON'T want one. 

Yep. Hope he really knows what he's doing.

Any guesses about the new info?

I don't know...I remember thinking the same thing about the season 8 spoilers, and I think they were even worse with context, because the context made the events even more annoying. I hope that I'm pleasantly surprised this time. I just think Chris is so oblivious sometimes, that I can't really put much faith in his ability to tell a coherent story that's also true to character and the events that happened throughout the series.

I don't think it will be a big cliffhanger, probably something like The Truth, which is very open ended, but not necessarily a cliffhanger.

Fair point.

Exactly. That history is there and it scares the shit out of me.

Ah. I hope it's like that tbh. At least that would be ok.

That's my instinct as well -- something that leaves the door open for future storytelling, but not something so specific that if there are no more stories it feels horribly unfinished.

I'm not interested in social media in real life, let alone on TV, so I'm not particularly pleased to hear he's making an effort to incorporate that, but I also have much bigger fish to fry, so, whatever.

Yay for Mark Snow.

Any guesses about the new info?

- CC implies that CSM is not dead (he died in the series finale but that was not the series finale and CSM is not dead) I guess CSM will be head villain again. Unless he's decided to stop being evil.

- CC acknowledges the huge role of social media and "youthful audience" I don't know what this means, but it doesn't sound good.

- CC speaks the new episodes as "first six episodes" Well, it's good that he's being optimistic. I hope he knows what's at stake.

- there will be a cliffhanger at the end I imagine it'll involve the conspiracy. I don't think he's cruel enough to leave the audience hanging about Mulder and Scully's lives or something like that.

- if there is another movie it must be a big budget movie OK, sounds good.

-They'll explore the fact that M&S have a kid together Hmm. This reminds me of this: 

"That relationship was kind of mysterious. Did they get together? Didn't they get together? If they've got a child together, when did they get together? These are questions that we will deal with and answer in good time." I hope he doesn't retcon it and say William is CSM's child, or something equally stupid.

- We'll see the Lone Gunmen in a way we've never seen them before Maybe Mulder will Skype with them?  

Here's more from the conference, thanks to 1121susanna for transcribing:

And more from the conference:

- Would it be possible to do a season with 20+ episodes? You have to ask DD and GA.

- Favorite monster of the week: Peacock family, Flukeman, Tooms, Leonard Betts, Bad Blood

- M&S had a child together but it was never explained how that happen and it won't be explained now it will be explored

- Why M&S were in the rowboat at the end of IWTB? Because they spend so much time in a snow in that movie and they deserved a warm goodbye. (How romantic, Chris...)

- Why would The X-Files be reopened? Watch to first episode to see. (So The X-Files IS reopened.)

- They will be honest to the passage of time on character's lives.

- The Sopranos had a perfect ending.

- There is one thing that CC would like to change in TXF and this may be the chance to do it.

- The interviewer or nobody in the audience asked directly about MSR.

Not thrilled about the one thing he wants to change. That has me nervous.

- CC implies that CSM is not dead (he died in the series finale but that was not the series finale and CSM is not dead) I guess CSM will be head villain again. Unless he's decided to stop being evil.

- CC acknowledges the huge role of social media and "youthful audience" I don't know what this means, but it doesn't sound good.
- CC speaks the new episodes as "first six episodes" Well, it's good that he's being optimistic. I hope he knows what's at stake.
- there will be a cliffhanger at the end I imagine it'll involve the conspiracy. I don't think he's cruel enough to leave the audience hanging about Mulder and Scully's lives or something like that.
- if there is another movie it must be a big budget movie OK, sounds good.

-They'll explore the fact that M&S have a kid together Hmm. This reminds me of this: 
"That relationship was kind of mysterious. Did they get together? Didn't they get together? If they've got a child together, when did they get together? These are questions that we will deal with and answer in good time." I hope he doesn't retcon it and say William is CSM's child, or something equally stupid.

- We'll see the Lone Gunmen in a way we've never seen them before Maybe Mulder will Skype with them?  

Exactly. Just more bull shit. Sounds as if he wants to have that moment take place via flashback. Especially given moment he wants to change. Maybe it's the All Things thing? That's my best guess on it. I just hope it isn't a 'Scully regrets sleeping with Mulder' thing. That would piss off so many fans that it won't be funny.

Oooh good point.

(edited)

We already saw this in Blood. It wasn't called Skype back then, but it was pretty much the same thing :)

This comment, and another one where he said that he thinks they'll be telling stories in a way that's never been done before, makes me wonder what kind of "new ideas" he's coming up with. To say it's something we've never seen before, when we've seen them both in flashback and as ghosts, makes me wonder what other options there are. Alternate universe? Reincarnation?

Edited by M.F. Luder

We already saw this in Blood. It wasn't called Skype back then, but it was pretty much the same thing :)

This comment, and another one where he said that he thinks they'll be telling stories in a way that's never been done before, makes me wonder what kind of "new ideas" he's coming up with. To say it's something we've never seen before, when we've seen them both in flashback and as ghosts, makes me wonder what other options there are. Alternate universe? Reincarnation?

Who knows?

All I know is that I'm less interested in this as the days go by. He seems to want to continue this forever. And frankly... that's kind of sad.

Well, now that I think about it, CC did have all those season 9 pictures up, and there are episodes that deal with travel/multiple dimensions in season 9: 4-D and Audrey Pauley.  

Well, now that I think about it, CC did have all those season 9 pictures up, and there are episodes that deal with travel/multiple dimensions in season 9: 4-D and Audrey Pauley.  

Good point.

And that brings me to another point: It seems like if they went this route, it almost seems like It's a Wonderful Life. With the both of them looking back on things. And with Scully with that LOSER. Yuck. 

Maybe it's like an alternate universe where Mulder never returned from the dead and Scully had to learn how to live without him. It's like his dream in Sixth Extinction/Amor Fati.

I don't think that they would go this route, but Scully/Tad makes as much sense as Mulder marrying and having kids with Diana and dying an old man with CSM being by his bedside. 

Maybe it's like an alternate universe where Mulder never returned from the dead and Scully had to learn how to live without him. It's like his dream in Sixth Extinction/Amor Fati.

I don't think that they would go this route, but Scully/Tad makes as much sense as Mulder marrying and having kids with Diana and dying an old man with CSM being by his bedside. 

Maybe. And it makes me want to :X in my mouth a little. I DON'T like it. 

Exactly. It DOES not. That's why I'm thinking that there's more to this than what we know.

I'm trying to be less invested in MSR. I've been rewatching the last season of The Office (US) and what they did with Pam/Jim is very similar to these spoilers we're getting. I loved The Office and shipped Pam/Jim but their relationship was never that important to me and didn't really affect my enjoyment of the show, which I watched because it was funny. I didn't have any emotional investment in any type of outcome or storylines.

I'm thinking this is how most people feel about the X-Files (or just all tv shows in general) and that's why a lot of people don't understand why everyone is so bothered by the spoilers. The difference with this, is that I think that the only reason why people are still interested in XF is because of MSR. XF had a huge fanbase in its heyday and it was due to the great storytelling and characters. The fanbase greatly dropped off when the storytelling dropped in quality, and I think it's mostly the MSR fans that hung on til the end. So, its revival is dependent on the fact that people love MSR, not so much that people love XF stories. There are many shows that are a lot like XF (Supernatural, Fringe, Lost, etc), so if people are only interested in those kind of stories, they don't need the XF to come back.

I think the fact that Chris wants to revive this show in an effort to create and ongoing source of income for himself is a detriment to the fans who kept this show in the public consciousness for the decade it's been off the air.

I'm trying to be less invested in MSR. I've been rewatching the last season of The Office (US) and what they did with Pam/Jim is very similar to these spoilers we're getting. I loved The Office and shipped Pam/Jim but their relationship was never that important to me and didn't really affect my enjoyment of the show, which I watched because it was funny. I didn't have any emotional investment in any type of outcome or storylines.

I'm thinking this is how most people feel about the X-Files (or just all tv shows in general) and that's why a lot of people don't understand why everyone is so bothered by the spoilers. The difference with this, is that I think that the only reason why people are still interested in XF is because of MSR. XF had a huge fanbase in its heyday and it was due to the great storytelling and characters. The fanbase greatly dropped off when the storytelling dropped in quality, and I think it's mostly the MSR fans that hung on til the end. So, its revival is dependent on the fact that people love MSR, not so much that people love XF stories. There are many shows that are a lot like XF (Supernatural, Fringe, Lost, etc), so if people are only interested in those kind of stories, they don't need the XF to come back.

I think the fact that Chris wants to revive this show in an effort to create and ongoing source of income for himself is a detriment to the fans who kept this show in the public consciousness for the decade it's been off the air.

Very well said.

That's what I've been thinking too. The man hasn't been successful in years. So... the XF is basically his cash cow.

Good point. And I think that's in part since some of the writers aren't as good. 

Hell I gave up on shipping anyone tbh, once the NCIS thing happened with Tony and Ziva. Eight years and boom... nada :(. It was beyond disappointing. Basically M & S were my second ship after Perry Mason and Della Street (who at least had a happy ending), and it would suck if all of the joy was taken from it.

I don't really ship either, and I'm not usually that invested in tv shows. I like some shows, but could easily not watch them too. XF is the only show that I HAD to watch and the only show where I cared enough to even know who the actors are, to read/watch interviews about it, etc. It's the only show I've been a real "fan" of (in the original fanatic definition). And it's been because of MSR. So, that's probably why I feel the way I do. But, that's probably an unfair way to approach a show that was created to tell paranormal stories.

I wish I could quit this show, but apparently I'm destined to stick with it even with all the abuse :)

• Love 2

I don't really ship either, and I'm not usually that invested in tv shows. I like some shows, but could easily not watch them too. XF is the only show that I HAD to watch and the only show where I cared enough to even know who the actors are, to read/watch interviews about it, etc. It's the only show I've been a real "fan" of (in the original fanatic definition). And it's been because of MSR. So, that's probably why I feel the way I do. But, that's probably an unfair way to approach a show that was created to tell paranormal stories.

I wish I could quit this show, but apparently I'm destined to stick with it even with all the abuse :)

Yep. Same here to a point. Probably. But meh, things went the way they did tbh.

Nah. I've reached that point. Chris has pushed things to the limit. And frankly I don't have the patience for the crap anymore.

One more quote from the public conference when CC is talking about the cliffhanger (around 30:45):

"I think that we are far from considering the show or the characters of Mulder and Scully in any kind of final way."

From 1121susanna, from Haven (it's from a conference Chris is speaking at)

*ugh* Annd my give a damn has reached zero.

(edited)

I don't know why they talked about wanting to do these six episodes to give the fans some sort of closure...they are obviously never going to give us real closure. The fact that CC is talking about 'exploring but not explaining' William just makes me irritated because the last thing he should do is revive that season 8 disaster in any sort of ambiguous way.  Just explain how he was conceived or don't go there.

I don't see how CSM can't be dead, we saw his head melt in a ball of fire.

Edited by Goshengir1
  • Love 2

I don't know why they talked about wanting to do these six episodes to give the fans some sort of closure...they are obviously never going to give us real closure. The fact that CC is talking about 'exploring but not explaining' William just makes me irritated because the last thing he should do is revive that season 8 disaster in any sort of ambiguous way.  Just explain how he was conceived or don't go there.

Exactly. It makes no sense. Maybe it's more closure for the original actors? *shrug* Definitely. He screwed it up. Period. No explaining can make up for it.

Lmao XD I know. It's just one big cluster f as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I think the actors only came back because they wanted to give the fans closure and because they're loyal to each other and Chris. But, Chris seems more desperate to keep things going as this is his only hit and all of his other efforts have been very short lived. If he had gone on to have success like some of the other writers (Vince Gilligan, Howard Gordon, etc.) he would not be into it. I've gotta imagine at this point that he's not hurting for money, even if he never does a single thing again, so I wonder why he's so adamant about it. 6 episodes isn't enough to revive a franchise, but it is enough to close one out. So, I'm not sure he's going to be able to achieve what he wants.

With CSM, I bet you they explain that the CSM we saw melt was actually the alien bounty hunter or something.

• Love 1