Type keyword(s) to search

Luther - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Will someone hand Idris Elba his Emmy, please.

Enjoyed this series, though none of the supporting characters interest me the way Alice and Justin did. 

I do like the two officers who have Luther's back: the IT expert and the boss figure

• Love 3

Just binge watched all four series on Netflix because I loved Warren Brown in X Company. I definitely missed Justin in series 4... the one scene of memory/ ghost Justin was such a tease! Wish we'd gotten more.

I thought the ending with Megan was kind of ambiguous, almost like she could be speaking for Alice. Maybe Alice really did want out of the relationship before she or John ended up killing the other (I don't really see it, but maybe), and she arranged the whole thing. Though Megan being conveniently there and willing to go along with the whole thing strains credulity, a lot of things in this series did. It was fun to watch, though!

• Love 1
On 12/15/2018 at 12:44 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Why didn’t they realize, looking at Zoe’s cell phone, that she wouldn’t be calling John if he were in her home murdering her?

I don’t know if the police ever addressed that. I can’t remember who said it though the people who love Luther usually end up dead. Sad but true. *sigh* I miss Justin. 

• Love 3

I like this show a lot. Idris Alba is compelling. Loved Justin. But there were a lot of sloppy scenes.  And I don’t really buy John studying something for a few minutes and immediately assessing the motive or recognizing someone to be the perpetrator at a scene. 

How come John sometimes lives in squalor and sometimes lives in a more upscale flat?

And how come people can punch him, shiv him and shoot him in the kneecap, and he is able to resume pursuit after a few minutes?

I love Benny. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, topanga said:

I don’t know if the police ever addressed that. I can’t remember who said it though the people who love Luther usually end up dead. Sad but true. *sigh* I miss Justin. 

Justin was amazing. So earnest, sweet, loyal, grounded, reliable, gracious. I was shocked and so disappointed when the martyr/vigilante killed him. 

• Love 7

I'm super excited about S.5 but I've never seen S.4. Is Ruth Wilson in it? I suppose I should watch it before season 5. I just didnt enjoy s. 3 as much as 1 and 2, so I pulled away for a while. 

ETA nm. I see she isn't in 4, not really into seeing it then. I love Idris, but I like RW as well, and Luther and Alice are the reason I watch. Nit in a shippy way, I just like them.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1
On 1/3/2019 at 5:52 AM, snowwhyte said:

I'm currently watching the new season over  here in the UK. I won't spoil it for the non Brits but it is as creepy and intense as usual.

More creepy and intense than usual? I can't wait. 

• Love 1

I just finished season 5. There is never enough Luther, especially after that ending.  I just read that Idris has not closed the door on another series, so I'm hopeful.

• Love 1

I can't dive into this discussion because I'm only on season 3 but I just wanted to check in to say that the relationship between Luther and Alice has got to be one of the most original I've come across in all my TV-watching years.  In season three, when Alice showed up to help Luther's girlfriend I breathed a sigh of relief (which is crazy when you consider that she's a complete psychopath who is TOTALLY capable of deciding to toss Mary off a roof rather than help her.)

This show . . . 

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 7

Ruth Wilson has been nominated for a Tony!

Best Featured Actress in a Play
Fionnula Flanagan, The Ferryman
Celia Keenan-Bolger, To Kill a Mockingbird
Kristine Nielsen, Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus
Julie White, Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus
Ruth Wilson, King Lear

• Love 2

Whoever said that Megan couldn't have gotten the drop on Alice.  I agree.  Although after some reflection Megan pulled that all off pretty well.  Where did she get the diamonds?  And she must of had the phone before we saw her lurking in the house.  

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, OoogleEyes said:

Just finished season 4. This is such a great little show. Does anyone know if we are going to get a season 5?

Yep! Sunday June 2 on BBCA. Can. Not.Wait!

• Love 1
(edited)
49 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

So happy I forgot this was on tonight. 

You too? I just stumbled on it by accident.

I knew Alice was the one who took George's kid.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm no psychiatrist but it looks to me like Luther is depressed and has a death wish because of his wife's and Ripley's deaths.  Otherwise, I cannot fathom why he is so fascinated by and obsessed with Duck Lips. 

That female patient talking to the doctor was stupid.  She clearly heard him slip up and say "kill you" and yet she still agreed to let him operate on her.  I don't care what my condition was, I would have hightailed it out of that hospital as soon as he said that. 

Also, I have a bad feeling about the female detective.  I like her and I'll really be pissed off if she's killed.

Edited by Ohwell
Added something
  • Love 4

Luther seems even more angsty than usual, and more listless. I think he is depressed from everything that has happened, or its all just now hitting him. 

Did she really not hear her doctor say that he was going to kill her? He just straight up said it! These two are messed up. 

Alice gonna Alice. 

• Love 3

It’s nice to be reminded that Yes Alice did cold bloodily Murder her parents and she doesn’t even feel guilty about it.   The only reason it even resonates with her is that she met Luther.  He turned it into a game.   A game they are still playing.

I loved the reason Alice had for being dead and not just disappearing.  All Luthers best relationships end in death.   

• Love 2
On 6/11/2019 at 12:26 AM, tennisgurl said:

Did she really not hear her doctor say that he was going to kill her? He just straight up said it! These two are messed up. 

My girlfriend is a fan of Luther so this is the first season I’ve watched. I have to say, as much as I like Idris Elba, I find the plotting ludicrous. The patient should have realized the doctor was a nutcase, and more importantly, it should have been clear to Luther and the female detective that something was wrong with him (beyond the fact that he knew too much about the dead guy). And mostly, I can’t understand how the old gangster guy hasn’t been arrested and thrown in prison. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Valny said:

Watching ep 2 now....Luther hooking up with Alice was real, not him just fantasizing right?

I swear, I couldn't tell if it was real or fantasy.  Maybe that's what the writers wanted?

Ok I'm getting sick of hapless, helpless, tortured Luther as a detective, in addition to his ongoing fascination with Duck Lips.  

I'm glad the woman held captive got out alive though.

Anyway, I plan to stick with this one until the end which is thankfully next week, but I hope this is the last series.

• Love 7

No one should EVER work with Luther, your life expectancy will instantly drop down! The only person who seems to survive being his friend is Alice, and thats only because she would take out any possible killers first. Really, I get the fascination with Alice, but their weird relationship is probably more trouble than its worth at this point for Luther, especially if he actually wants to keep solving crimes and not just dealing with other bullshit.

Glad the victim got away, but were there other people in the cellar? Was that why the doctor put a tray into another locked cell? Should probably check on that guys!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

The only person who seems to survive being his friend is Alice, and thats only because she would take out any possible killers first. Really, I get the fascination with Alice, but their weird relationship is probably more trouble than its worth at this point for Luther, especially if he actually wants to keep solving crimes and not just dealing with other bullshit.

I think it's really, truly beginning to hit home to him that she would have no trouble taking him out either.

• Love 2

All those creepy dead bodies in the house.  Ugh.

Luther used bad judgement throughout the series, including not putting a bullet in Duck Lip's forehead long ago.  The only regret I have is that she committed suicide instead of him or someone else killing her.

I wasn't at all surprised that the female detective whose name I could never remember, got murdered by Duck Lips. 

In general, I thought this series was rather lackluster compared to the previous ones, and it kinda went out with a whimper.  

'Bye Luther.  I guess prison awaits you?

• Love 8
(edited)

Totally yelled out OH SHIT when Alison killed DS Halliday. Did NOT see that coming.  I know Alison is a nutjob but I was a bit disappointed the writer(s) made her go that far with the crazy to kill a total innocent (Did Neil Cross write all eps? I didn't notice)  And I hated she went psycho on Luther. In my mind,I my own twisted mind,I wanted those crazy kids together even though I knew it was highly improbable.
I don't always pay attention, can someone tell me who was this Mark guy again?

The only regret I have is that she committed suicide instead of him or someone else killing her.

I would think she is, but is she really?  Did anyone read any spoilers where it said she's definitely dead? Because you never know, unless I have it confirmed, I won't believe it yet.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 3