Type keyword(s) to search

7 Little Johnstons - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Excited for this series, although I wish it was on at 9.  I work out in the mornings, so 10pm is too late for me to stay up to watch live.

I know they had a show on OWN for a little while, but I can't find any of the old episodes online anywhere. 

• Love 1

Excited for this series, although I wish it was on at 9.  I work out in the mornings, so 10pm is too late for me to stay up to watch live.

I know they had a show on OWN for a little while, but I can't find any of the old episodes online anywhere. 

I dvr most of my programs now so I can FF the commercials especially on the TLC network who bludgeons the same ones to death in an hour!

I think the show last night was supposed to be a synopsis of what was done on OWN to bring us up to date or something and I don't think they did many episodes on that network.  And we get to watch yet another anniversary night but this show was missing the rose petals!  

I like the family especially their work ethic and how they are doing that big reno on their own.    

Anna having a spinal fusion at 14 years old, she must have endured a lot of pain to go through that so young.  

All the kids seemed nice and full of beans.  Alex seems to be the star and he reminds me so much of what Will will be like when he gets older, a mischievous devil who will work his charms to get his own way!  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

All the kids seem pretty well behaved.  Alex is my favorite so far, because he seems to be a bundle of energy and personality.  From the sneak peek last night they've all acknowledged that the household revolves around him.  Amber stated that it was because he was the baby of the family.  I think its a combo of age and height.  He's only a few months younger than Emma but much shorter than she is. 

Also, it seems like they adopted him when he was a baby from Korea.  I'm curious as to how they were able to adopt him so quickly from a foreign country.  I mean I think Anna/Emma were 3/4 when they adopted them from their respective countries and the Klein kids were toddlers when they finally got a hold of them.

I find this family a little more likeable and relateable than the other LP shows. Mom seems actively engaged with being a mom, although somewhat controlling. I also get an almost sinister feeling that kids are told to behave a certain way. I get the feeling all those kids do a lot of work, not bad, not good, just an observation. I am not fond of sexual innuendo between kids and parent's.

• Love 2

I find this family a little more likeable and relateable than the other LP shows. Mom seems actively engaged with being a mom, although somewhat controlling. I also get an almost sinister feeling that kids are told to behave a certain way. I get the feeling all those kids do a lot of work, not bad, not good, just an observation. I am not fond of sexual innuendo between kids and parent's.

I have noticed a pattern with these women on the little people shows, all have the same trait of being controlling and admit to it.  

It was pretty obvious the kids were "helped" with what to say when they were giving thanks before dinner as Alex said he forgot what else he was supposed to say!  That was cute but very telling.  

I am not fond of sexual innuendo and have no idea why we hear it at all on this show or any other.  TMI!

• Love 1

I liked all the kids and Alex was my fave too although Anna is very sweet.  My friend works for Children's Bridge and she has adopted twice from China and said it cost @25k to do this per child and I am assuming this includes travel.  That was over 10 years ago so it must be higher now. The Johnstons don't look like they have this kind of money.  

I liked all the kids and Alex was my fave too although Anna is very sweet.  My friend works for Children's Bridge and she has adopted twice from China and said it cost @25k to do this per child and I am assuming this includes travel.  That was over 10 years ago so it must be higher now. The Johnstons don't look like they have this kind of money.  

My guess about how they afford it would be a combination of possible help from their church or from the husband's employer. I have worked for 2 companies that offered money towards adoptions. I read an article awhile that said the first learned about adoption at church when Amber didn't want to risk her health to have more kids. It said have worked with religious organizations to help place over 100 dwarf children.

They do seem to have a decent standard of living for a family of 7 and having only one parent works , no college degrees and getting married young. I kind of get this feeling it is TLC mixing up all their favorite elements, deeply religious family, little people, adoption, and remodeling a mega home.

While I find them likable , I think I'm over the little people shows. My feeling is Jen and Bill do not want to film 24/7 but TLC knows Jen and Bill are the show that not only gets high ratings but rarely has anything negative said about it. I think with Our Little Family and 7 Little Johnstons are filler till TLC can get more Little couple shows made.

• Love 1

This 'sneak peak' episode aired a few months ago so I was kinda bummed that I had already seen it! Before that one TLC aired one when they were in their previous house, that was a pretty nice house.  The mom always made the dad re-paint the walls whenever they had family gatherings at the house.  That was a bit... interesting. 

Oh yea, this episode aired about the same time as Bill's surgery on the little couple. I remember thinking how weird that a young girl was having the same surgery as Bill- and she bounced back so fast!

• Love 1

I wonder if being a bit controlling on the female's part is mostly do to them growing up? I would imagine they were probably all picked on when they were younger so they had to get a bit tough and demanding.   Just a thought. 

• Love 1

I like this family.  The parents seemed grounded.  And there is nothing wrong with kids helping out.  They will have a beautiful house when it's done.  They're doing a great job on it even with being held back by their size.

• Love 4
(edited)

Well, what do you know?  The Johnston family did get a show.  I was concerned that the Hamills (Our Little Family) would replace them.  I really like this family.  So far, there doesn't seem to be a trace of the kind of manufactured TLC drama we've all grown to love.  The kids seem real, the parents are definitely real, and no one seems likely to become a diva at any point.  I like the fact that the parents are fixing up their house and don't mind televising the process, warts and all.

As for Anna's (?) consequences, this isn't necessarily a criticism, but when I watch children being disciplined on TV, I always wonder how that could affect them in school, etc.  The teenage years are difficult enough.  I can't imagine being a kid and having my entire school watch me being punished on national TV.  The same thing goes for reality show potty training.  Just . . . no.  

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 3

I like this family.  The parents seemed grounded.  

I saw this show for the first time tonight, and I agree with your post. They are so solid in their attitudes on life, and they don't keep talking about how tough life will be for their kids. 20 minutes into the show, I forget they were little people, and I was just enjoying their daily renos and interactions. This is a family I would love to know in reality.

I can't imagine being a kid and having my entire school watch me being punished on national TV.  

I appreciated the airing of Anna's consequence simply because I enjoyed how they discussed the rationale behind their discipline. I don't think Anne will mind as she gets older because you can see how the parents were struggling with 'doing the right thing'.

• Love 2
(edited)

So far, I like this family but I think that Anna's punishment was a little extreme. I don't believe in double punishments for one offense. She was banned from the school dance and future school activities so why did she also get a punishment at home.

I also firmly believe that children esp teens have a voice, and I think that her parents should have sat her down and talked about ways that should could have gotten herself out of the situation before it happened, and not just when they were ready to dole out her punishment.

My son is 19 and I have taught him that he has voice and that every problem has a solution.

Edited by Taylorh2
  • Love 2

First time I've watched and I must say they are so much more interesting than the Hammils (Our Little Family). That show was like watching paint dry with the dull as heck dad. This Trent at least is funny and has a personality! The kids funny. That Anna is a real rebel, I can see! Trouble with a capital T.

• Love 2

I like the family and their work ethic.  I think it is great there is no job they can't do on their own but admit to my heart being in my throat when they moved that armoire!  I had visions of it collapsing on top of one of them but they appeared to be moving it like professional movers.    

It was nice to see Elizabeth get her braces and hearing the explanation of little people simply having too many teeth often causing problems with appearance.  Also nice to hear them explain to Jonah (?) why Elizabeth was getting her turn and their financial plan.  

I had to FF a couple of spots that made me uncomfortable.  One of them was Anna crying in her TH with her sister, she was truly upset and I am not sure why the producers played this card.  It was embarrassing enough for her to be disciplined on camera by having the punishment being doled out without a second experience on camera focusing just on her.  Shame TLC.  Loved how Elizabeth gave her a hug.  I think Anna is impressionable and her mentioning already being in trouble for talking to a high school boy made me shudder as to what might happen to her.  I could see her being taken advantage of and I think her parents will have to watch her more so than Elizabeth for some reason.  She seems younger than her years.  

I also didn't like the sex talk between the girls in their TH, I saw no purpose to that segment of them giggling and whispering and bringing in the other daughter too? That whole part was weird and unnecessary.  That is when Anna seemed so much younger than her years.  And I never got why they were doing so much giggling about saying a word, what was the word??  

I think Alex is cute and knows it as do the producers, he is a ham in the making and the camera loves him.  

They sure don't live large by any means.  I was surprised though at how much Anna had in her closet that was taken away from her as punishment which she seemed to accept very well I thought other than her tear meltdown in the TH.  I am not sure she understood how she could have extricated herself from the situation though and hopefully that was covered off camera as I think her parents are doing their best to stay on top of discipline.    

• Love 3

When my son was younger I would tell them that if friends are doing bad thing, to just walk away because someone walking by wouldn't know that you weren't involved and just standing there.

Everybody gets blamed.

• Love 3

I didn't like the issue with Anna being shown. The cameras were so close to her when she came in the house or room they were filming her in. It was too raw for me. She was really upset. This is where I blame the parents for allowing this to be filmed but probably once you sign with TLC anything goes. Anna was probably unable to say no to filming this and I hate that exploitation for ratings.

• Love 5
(edited)

I would rather see the real life moments then TLC ideas. I'm sick of dentist visits, getting chickens, and talks with teens about dating and sex. Trent talking to the girls about the dance and boys was clearly staged. I have a hard time believing next week Amber decides she wants to get chickens when a family of 7 is living with a small temporary  kitchen and 1 bathroom as they are 1 year into a remodel. We had chickens for a few years and it was a lot of work.

I think this show would have been better if they showed us one room being remodeled each  episode and then some cute real life moments in between. I would love to see the actual process of buying a house for cash that is unlivable and living through years of renovation in the house. I have seen so many old abandon homes driving through new England and upstate NY and always wondered what it would take to make them livable.

I have mixed feelings about them showing Anna's school problem. Elizabeth has said she had a lot of problems at school and had to be homeschooled on and off because of teasing. Now add being on tv to the mix and who knows how Anna is feeling or the pressure she is under. Who knows is she went along with the kids so she would not be teased? or the kids at school bring up her parents sexual humor from the first few shows? We have heard Anna had the roughest adoption transition, there are so many factors we know little about. I just think they should not have shown this. First we hear she gets her phone taken away for good after texting a boy, then is suspended, so she is being labeled the naughty kid of the show. I'm glad they have family  rules but such a strict family and TLC is a contradiction.

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 1

I would rather see the real life moments then TLC ideas. I'm sick of dentist visits, getting chickens, and talks with teens about dating and sex. Trent talking to the girls about the dance and boys was clearly staged. I have a hard time believing next week Amber decides she wants to get chickens when a family of 7 is living with a small temporary  kitchen and 1 bathroom as they are 1 year into a remodel. We had chickens for a few years and it was a lot of work.

I think this show would have been better if they showed us one room being remodeled each  episode and then some cute real life moments in between. I would love to see the actual process of buying a house for cash that is unlivable and living through years of renovation in the house. I have seen so many old abandon homes driving through new England and upstate NY and always wondered what it would take to make them livable.

I have mixed feelings about them showing Anna's school problem. Elizabeth has said she had a lot of problems at school and had to be homeschooled on and off because of teasing. Now add being on tv to the mix and who knows how Anna is feeling or the pressure she is under. Who knows is she went along with the kids so she would not be teased? or the kids at school bring up her parents sexual humor from the first few shows? We have heard Anna had the roughest adoption transition, there are so many factors we know little about. I just think they should not have shown this. First we hear she gets her phone taken away for good after texting a boy, then is suspended, so she is being labeled the naughty kid of the show. I'm glad they have family  rules but such a strict family and TLC is a contradiction.

I don't think what has been shown so far has been done to death.  Getting chickens and talking to teens about sex hasn't been covered at least on any show I watch.  I am liking these are real situations as opposed to trips to pumpkin patches.  

And they did show the addition of a bathroom for the girls in the first show then this week was the kid's bedrooms so we are seeing it one room at a time.  He said they could only work on it on the weekends.  I guess the living room is next and then I hope that kitchen!  She said she was a neat freak but I thought that was a stretch.  The kids seemed happy with their bedrooms which were certainly not luxurious or to the caliber of Will and Zoey's rooms, the best of everything and no expense spared.  This family could clearly use the money to renovate and fix the kids teeth if nothing else.   

Anna came from Russia I believe and I have read adopted children from eastern Europe seem to have a harder time transitioning.  I think I remember seeing a documentary on it made several years ago following adoptions of 3 or 4 kids from different places.  

• Love 1

I don't think what has been shown so far has been done to death.  Getting chickens and talking to teens about sex hasn't been covered at least on any show I watch.  I am liking these are real situations as opposed to trips to pumpkin patches.  

The chickens stuck in my head from the Gosselins and Kardashisans and even the Duggars last season considered chickens but decided against them. The teens and sex talk made me have a flashback to Honey boo boo, and sugar bear having a talk with the kids before a dance. While I would never compare honey boo and and this show's quality, both talks seemed TLC staged. I guess I have gotten an overload of sex/kissing/modesty talk for year by the Duggars. I would have rather seen the girls talk about their friends that they were going to the dance with or if they actually wanted an average size boyfriend or not. Elizabeth made a comment during the dance talk about wishing their were little people at her school so I was thinking maybe she is interested in a little person boyfriend.

• Love 1

So are there 2 boys in one bdrm and 3 girls in the other bdrm ?

I think the bedrooms are just temporary. Amber said the house is close to 6000 sq ft and would have the possibility of 7 beds and 5 baths when completed. I think the family was happy to get 1 bath and 2 bedrooms done after a year for some normality. It does seem at the pace they are going some of the kids might be in college before getting their own bedroom. I wondered why such a big house that they predict won't be done till the kids are 12-18? I wonder since they are very active helping others adopt if they might adopt more kids in the future. I bet the house will be lovely when done, but I wonder how expensive it is to maintain? (I'm not familiar with taxes, utilites where they live).

• Love 1

So far, I like this family but I think that Anna's punishment was a little extreme. I don't believe in double punishments for one offense. She was banned from the school dance and future school activities so why did she also get a punishment at home.

I also firmly believe that children esp teens have a voice, and I think that her parents should have sat her down and talked about ways that should could have gotten herself out of the situation before it happened, and not just when they were ready to dole out her punishment.

My son is 19 and I have taught him that he has voice and that every problem has a solution.

I didn't have a problem with the double punishment.  Yes, she was punished by the school, but I think it was fine for her to be punished at home as well.  I think I would've done the same thing as well. 

If your kid does something wrong and they get suspended from school for a day, I don't think that's enough of a punishment as basically they get a vacation day.  I would definitely ground my kid or take privileges away on top of the suspension.

I do feel for the teenagers though.  To be a little person and a teenager must be extremely difficult. 

• Love 2

Was her punishment just the parents taking away her clothes? I thought that was kind of odd. I thought it would be the phone, computer, or TV.

Her phone had already been taken away by her texting and "dating" a boy.  It seems like she got all material things taken away, clothes, makeup, jewelry. 

It sounds like they've had quite a lot of trouble with Anna in the past.  The dad kept saying how that stuff had to end now.  Didn't sound like they were just talking about the recent school incident. 

• Love 1

I felt bad for the two girls, having such personal moments filmed for this show.  If that wasnt bad enough, the girls made it clear the word sex is taboo in the home. Huh?

Another Duggar-esque creepy vibe, just dont say sex, but the parents constantly talk and hint about sex.  Go get a room.

One of the boys also let it slip that the dads patience is as short as he is.   Bet he got in trouble for that.

Parents, need money? Get a job and get a second job. Your children should not be part of how you make your living.

Or just stick to humiliating and embarrassing yourselves, not the kids.

• Love 2

It was pretty obvious the kids were "helped" with what to say when they were giving thanks before dinner as Alex said he forgot what else he was supposed to say!  That was cute but very telling.  

I thought he said he forgot what he was going to say, not what he was suppose to say.

I like these parents. Something about them just seems genuine. They are people I'd love to get to know in RL, not just on my screen.

Saw the commercial for the other new LP show (can't even remember the name) and wasn't drawn to it but this one sucked me in.

• Love 2

Love the kids though not as big a fan of Alex as most seem to be. I won't disparage a kid so I'll just say he's comes across as spoiled and they admit he is. I want to see more of cute little Emma.

I'm trying to figure out why 13 and 14 yr olds are going to a formal dance. When the kids on the couch mentioned Anna getting in trouble for texting a boy, a high school boy that gave me the impression that Anna and Elizabeth are in middle school/junior high. When did middle school/junior high start having formal dances? 

I love my kids but don't believe I'd spend $100+ on formal dresses for a dance in middle school.

• Love 1

I don't think Amber is controlling. I think Trent and Amber's marriage seems balanced. It's refreshing to watch their interaction with one another after watching Bill Klein (The Little Couple) and Dan Hamill (Our Little Family) constantly bowing down to their wives.

Both Amber and Trent admit she's controlling. But I think that's part of how they're so balanced. She controls certain things and he controls others and they compromise a lot. Again, it's part of how they come across as genuine.

• Love 1

Her phone had already been taken away by her texting and "dating" a boy.  It seems like she got all material things taken away, clothes, makeup, jewelry. 

It sounds like they've had quite a lot of trouble with Anna in the past.  The dad kept saying how that stuff had to end now.  Didn't sound like they were just talking about the recent school incident. 

I actually think Trent was talking about "now". He wanted to stop it before it really got started. As Amber said, small things turn into bigger things. Either way, I like how they handled it. I like when parents explain the "why" to their kid, not just hand down a punishment and hope the kid figures out the "why" on their own.

• Love 1

When my son went to his first 'Homecoming, all/most  of the girls dressed up in formal wear. No way would I spend $100 on a dress for a middle school dance,

When they were trying on those dresses. I noticed that the dresses were  'off the rack. Were they altered before hand, so they would be ready in time for filming ?

I actually think Trent was talking about "now". He wanted to stop it before it really got started. As Amber said, small things turn into bigger things. Either way, I like how they handled it. I like when parents explain the "why" to their kid, not just hand down a punishment and hope the kid figures out the "why" on their own.

I dunno... i think he said something like "i'm tired of dealing with this stuff" 

But maybe he did just mean the texting a guy and now the school stuff. 

I never getting dating ages.... kids are going to find a way around it.  Parents just need to be sure their kids know how to protect themselves in all aspects. 

Since when are homecoming dances part of middle school? When I was in middle school there were 4 dances a year and they were called canteens. smh, schools these days.

I did like how Elizabeth stood up to Anna when they were both outside and Anna wanted for Elizabeth to state what "the birds and the bees" meant UNTIL they called over Emma and tried to get her to say it.

I think Anna is gullible and easily led as her parents have pointed out about her being a follower.  She already has a past history with an older boy who by the way should know better although she might have encouraged it.  Then she is hanging out in the school yard watching vandalism yet doesn't know what the right thing is? Hell yes this girl is not only easily led but is trying to fit in no matter what is happening.  In the TH Anna tried to recruit Elizabeth into saying something against her parent's wishes, doesn't matter how silly it might have been, then tried to recruit Emma too?  Anna is going to be trouble and her parents may have had more reason than just the school vandalism to warrant taking away her personal belongings as well.    

• Love 1
(edited)

When my son went to his first 'Homecoming, all/most  of the girls dressed up in formal wear. No way would I spend $100 on a dress for a middle school dance,

When they were trying on those dresses. I noticed that the dresses were  'off the rack. Were they altered before hand, so they would be ready in time for filming ?

Not sure why you think they were already altered.  They showed one of the dresses being made smaller with a clip like they do with bridal gowns.  The blue one also didn't fit right.  And they werent shown leaving with them. 

They were short style dresses - but because of their height they were nearly perfect length for them.  That's the way I saw it at least.  

I think how formal a dance is really depends on the school. 

I'm 32 and when I was in high school Prom was the only formal dance.  Homecoming was pretty casual BUT the only rule was that you could not wear jeans.  But us girls did not go out and spend a ton of money. I also went to a really small school. 

And then you'll see some schools where the kids go all out for homecoming like they do for Prom.

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 1

I think that bringing the hammer down so hard on kids just makes them rebel more.

While we have no idea what went on off camera, I hope they talked to Anna more about who she has been hanging out with and if there are any problems at school. Her sister who is one year older, went to the same school and had to leave because she was bullied. Did the parents find out if Anna's problems stem from bullying?

Since the family no longer lives in a subdivision and lives a bit remote, do they know their kids friends? I not only know my kids friends but I know most of the kids in their classes as well as I can. I openly talk with my kids and their friends (buying pizza and soda for late nights gets kids to open up). I'm not naïve even living in rural Utah that plenty of kids drink, smoke and do drugs(yet attend church). My oldest and I have discussed that you can't avoid the "bad kids", sometimes you are picked to work on an assignment in a group with random kids or play on a sports team with them. It is choosing who you spend the time with that you have a choice over that is important. I wonder if Trent and Amber know the good kids from the school or from their church community and ask Anna why she was choosing to hang out with kids with spray paint over her church friends or kids she is friends with that were not involved.

The punishment won't work if the underlying problem isn't solved. It could be she is being teased or it could be she is making poor choices in friends.

I think the parents are a bit hypocritical. The girls seem repressed, especially about discussing sexual...oops..."reproductive systems" and the father's advice is to dance as if there is a balloon between them and a boy? Then he lets Anna pick out a dress for the dance that to me is way too low-cut for a middle-school girl. Here on Long Island (NY) the middle school kids participate in the Homecoming events - parade, football game - and have their own dance. But none of them wear "formals." 

And I'm wondering how the parents paid for those dresses - $150 each? I don't remember if they showed the name of the shop but what do you want to bet that the dresses were comped by the dress shop in exchange for the exposure? It begins....

• Love 2

While we have no idea what went on off camera, I hope they talked to Anna more about who she has been hanging out with and if there are any problems at school. Her sister who is one year older, went to the same school and had to leave because she was bullied. Did the parents find out if Anna's problems stem from bullying?

Since they recently moved to the new house (within the last year) I wonder if the bullying happened at their last/a different school.

I think the parents are a bit hypocritical. The girls seem repressed, especially about discussing sexual...oops..."reproductive systems" and the father's advice is to dance as if there is a balloon between them and a boy? Then he lets Anna pick out a dress for the dance that to me is way too low-cut for a middle-school girl. Here on Long Island (NY) the middle school kids participate in the Homecoming events - parade, football game - and have their own dance. But none of them wear "formals." 

I think they weren't suppose to mention sex in front of Alex and that's who they were watching for. Clearly saying Birds and Bees was ok but not sex.

(edited)

And I'm wondering how the parents paid for those dresses - $150 each? I don't remember if they showed the name of the shop but what do you want to bet that the dresses were comped by the dress shop in exchange for the exposure? It begins....

I think $150 was the price for one of the dresses but I think one of them ended up being half price at the end.  

Every time a product brand or a place such as a shop, restaurant, hotel or pumpkin patch is visibly shown we know it is comped so this show is just like any other show on tv so it continues. 

Not sure why you think they were already altered.  They showed one of the dresses being made smaller with a clip like they do with bridal gowns.  The blue one also didn't fit right.  And they werent shown leaving with them. 

They were short style dresses - but because of their height they were nearly perfect length for them.  That's the way I saw it at least.  

I think how formal a dance is really depends on the school. 

I'm 32 and when I was in high school Prom was the only formal dance.  Homecoming was pretty casual BUT the only rule was that you could not wear jeans.  But us girls did not go out and spend a ton of money. I also went to a really small school. 

And then you'll see some schools where the kids go all out for homecoming like they do for Prom.

In high school, yes but not middle school. That's what's throwing most of us here.

I work at the Goodwill store on the weekends. You wouldn't believe the number of girls who were trying on prom dresses. The price range is like between $15-$25.00

When my son took his girlfriend to prom last may, she had on a really pretty dress. She told me that her mom got it at a Goodwill for $20.00

$100-$150 for a prom dress. No Way!

• Love 4

I wonder what is considered middle school where they live? I remember middle school as grades 6-8. These days there are so many different ways they are combining or separating schools. Where I live middle school is grades 8-9 and due to the age cut off most kids are 14-15 in middle school. The dances at our middle school are at 2-4pm and cost $1 and you wear your school clothes. Most kids don't attend but the school holds them by some social skills requirement.

I think formals and dances and how important they are might be regional? Obviously where I live now in the southwest , they dances are not very important.  I grew up in a very academically competitive school district in New England and a lot of kids were more interested in studying and the dances were expensive, limos, expensive clothes, held at country clubs, so some kids would pocket the money the parents allotted and use to towards a car or a trip. I have some friends that live in the south and they have kids that are so excited about every dance.

I did feel bad for the son that wanted braces and was 15 , yet they were spending $300 on 2 dresses. For us $300 was 6 months worth of braces payments. I still think it is a weird time to take on a pay as you go cash reno of a house when 3 kids need braces , one just had major surgery and most kids have such high expenses during ages 10-18 (sports, music lessons, camps, clothes, driving lessons and insurance). I admire that Amber says they take no welfare, medcaid/medicare or disability help for the kids , just think the timing was bad. I guess they were sucked into the open floor plan lifestyle and realized too late that having 5 kids and all open space doesn't work!

• Love 1

When I grew up, middle school was 7th & 8th grade (early 90s), although they were adding 6th graders by the time I was leaving.  I don't remember us having any formal dances in middle school.

I remember having a school dance in 6th grade in elementary school.  It was dressed up, but I wouldn't consider it a formal.  It was a typical dance with girls on one side and boys on the other side.  I remember that one of my guy friends asked me to dance but I turned him down because I didn't want to get teased about it.

• Love 1
(edited)

When my son was younger I would tell them that if friends are doing bad thing, to just walk away because someone walking by wouldn't know that you weren't involved and just standing there.

Everybody gets blamed.

We had a similar saying in my family:

When they raid the cathouse they take the piano player, too.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 2