Type keyword(s) to search

7 Little Johnstons - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Alex just seems scared of the world and of any changes to his bubble.   I think some of Ambers’ ‘spoiling’ of him is due to his extreme fears and constant  pessimism.  He is just always sure that ANY change is negative.  A family member like that is just exhausting to other family members.  Even when he matures, I think he will never be a risk- taker: safe local college,  low responsibility job, etc. 

• Love 9

I'm watching the latest episode now. Did anyone else hear Anna say "I'm not your babe" after her dad called her that?  I heard a lot of anger in her words. I do think there's a lot more to which we're not privy. 

From last week's episode, Alex's blank face and dead eyes during the simulation skydiving (??) gave me life!  That kid drives me nuts, but he was priceless in that scene!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, CouchTater said:

I'm watching the latest episode now. Did anyone else hear Anna say "I'm not your babe" after her dad called her that?  I heard a lot of anger in her words. I do think there's a lot more to which we're not privy. 

I do not watch this show regularly, but there is definitely something we're not being told about Anna. There is total lack of trust on the parents end and a lot of hostility on Anna's end. They really need to resolve this. 

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 2

My issue is that if you have concerns about the whereabouts of your child BEFORE they get their full driver's license (as opposed to a permit), why rush and get them driving lessons and take them to the DMV, just because they are 16? They need to earn that responsibility.

The house/moving drama: I wouldn't have shown the kids the "proposed" new house until I was at least close to the closing table. You just shown them paradise ( a house that is a definite move-up) but as we all know, a lot has to happen to make that a final deal and get the keys. And I surely wouldn't promise that  their school wouldn't change - I find it a little hard to believe that house is in the same school district given the drive there - and the cost/appearance of surrounding homes. Given that 3 of the kids are already in HS, I guess I wouldn't be hard pressed for them to have their own rooms - it may be too late for that rooming plan.

Edited by sATL
On 10/18/2017 at 8:15 AM, winsomeone said:

She still looks large to me. The first season, these people could not even afford furniture for their house. Now they are going to buy that huge house on the lake? Surely TLC isn't paying them that much? And neither of their regular jobs pays that much either I wouldn't think?

They're on the 3rd season I think?? Plus Trent has a full time job and amber now has the realtor gig so I think they can easily afford that house.  Probably more than they let on in the episode. Super nice house though - I'm assuming they did get it since they showed it. I'm happy for them.

Made me sad that Alex thought their announcement was that they were divorcing since he thought they were arguing a little more than usual. 

Anna has always been the 'problem child'.  A season or two ago she did some vandalism with friends at the school and got in trouble for it.  And sounds like she lies a lot.  I think it may come off that they're being hard on her but I bet we aren't privy to most of what goes on with her and why they lack trust in her.  I wouldn't be surprised if they're worried about her trying to act more mature than she is.  She's a pretty girl and I bet she tests those boundaries. 

The driving test time line was kinda wonky though.  I'm assuming she took drivers ed before having that one-on-one teacher and THEN going to get her driver's license. 

8 minutes ago, sATL said:

My issue is that if you have concerns about the whereabouts of your child BEFORE they get their full driver's license (as opposed to a permit), why rush and get them driving lessons and take them to the DMV, just because they are 16? They need to earn that responsibility.

all parents i knew/know including mine couldn't wait for their kids to get their license so they wouldn't have to drive us everywhere anymore lol 

But then my parents had to force me to drive on my learners permit.  I was too scared.  I wouldn't even drive go-karts when I was little!

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, gunderda said:

They're on the 3rd season I think?? Plus Trent has a full time job and amber now has the realtor gig so I think they can easily afford that house.  Probably more than they let on in the episode. Super nice house though - I'm assuming they did get it since they showed it. I'm happy for them.

Made me sad that Alex thought their announcement was that they were divorcing since he thought they were arguing a little more than usual. 

Anna has always been the 'problem child'.  A season or two ago she did some vandalism with friends at the school and got in trouble for it.  And sounds like she lies a lot.  I think it may come off that they're being hard on her but I bet we aren't privy to most of what goes on with her and why they lack trust in her.  I wouldn't be surprised if they're worried about her trying to act more mature than she is.  She's a pretty girl and I bet she tests those boundaries. 

The driving test time line was kinda wonky though.  I'm assuming she took drivers ed before having that one-on-one teacher and THEN going to get her driver's license. 

all parents i knew/know including mine couldn't wait for their kids to get their license so they wouldn't have to drive us everywhere anymore lol 

But then my parents had to force me to drive on my learners permit.  I was too scared.  I wouldn't even drive go-karts when I was little!

True for most kiddos. but if there is already a concern about where they are going to be, or  where they have been, when they were not supposed to be, why buy trouble?. And by the mom's speech, I suspect Anna's maturity is not quite up to  most 16 yr olds - which is a long back story that we don't know about. No harm in getting your license at 17,18, 21.

Edited by sATL

I think Anna had drivers ed (classroom) before she took her written test. She probably then had to get x hours of logged driving time before she could take the driving test. Different states do different things. In Illinois, you take your written test in drivers ed and get your permit. Then you get 50 hours of logged driving time with an adult, 10 of which is at night, over 9 months. Your high school only does 6 of the 50 with you- parents do the rest. Then you go do your driving test. 

Some states require an appointment for that. In Illinois you just show up early enough that you can get the driving part done before too close to closing. 

As to the house- the college kids will be home weekends and breaks, and possibly after graduation. Plus with a large brood- you need more guest rooms for family gathering later. 

The way they presented moving to the kids was ridiculous.  They sounded like somebody died.  If they had been upbeat and excited about it, the kids would have had a better reaction.

• Love 8
On 10/18/2017 at 6:17 PM, mythoughtis said:

Alex just seems scared of the world and of any changes to his bubble.   I think some of Ambers’ ‘spoiling’ of him is due to his extreme fears and constant  pessimism.  He is just always sure that ANY change is negative.  A family member like that is just exhausting to other family members.  Even when he matures, I think he will never be a risk- taker: safe local college,  low responsibility job, etc. 

I have a nephew who apparently freaks out over change which is a little odd to me because he's not that fearful of stuff (other than he's the one that can't ride a bike yet).  A couple years ago we were at disney world and we had planned to leave the park to take a break during the day but then the day of we decided to not to and he had a complete meltdown because we were not sticking to our exact plans.  We thought it was because he wanted to go back and swim at the resort or do something else, but nope, he said it was just because we weren't sticking to the plan. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I think Anna had drivers ed (classroom) before she took her written test. She probably then had to get x hours of logged driving time before she could take the driving test. Different states do different things. In Illinois, you take your written test in drivers ed and get your permit. Then you get 50 hours of logged driving time with an adult, 10 of which is at night, over 9 months. Your high school only does 6 of the 50 with you- parents do the rest. Then you go do your driving test. 

Some states require an appointment for that. In Illinois you just show up early enough that you can get the driving part done before too close to closing. 

As to the house- the college kids will be home weekends and breaks, and possibly after graduation. Plus with a large brood- you need more guest rooms for family gathering later. 

I got my license in GA around 10 years ago. I remember to get your permit you took a written test at the DMV. If you wanted to get your license at 16, you had to take a driver's ed course. I got my license at 17 but took the course anyway to help with insurance. I was even able to take my driving exam thru the company. I think the logged hours were the same. 

The ‘m’ word. The teens saying that should have known better. As Trent said.... there’s certain words those teens ( and their Mom) wouldn’t have liked hearing.  They shouldn’t have had to be educated. 

They got multiple offers after 1 open house? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3

I thought Alex's molds came out okay.  He does act like a baby sometimes, but, that's because he is, right? (I mean, youngest in the family.) I haven't been watching that long, but, from what I've seen, he's not all that bad.  I suppose it's what you compare it to.  Some other reality tv kids are REALLY out of control.  I think Alex's behavior is at least kept in check most of the time.  I've noticed that his mom and dad do have the ability to get serious, tell them to get in line and mean it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

I'm not a long time viewer, but, I must say that I have really been impressed with this family.  Yes, there are issues, but, I really like them.  The other night, when they had the tornado drills, I LOL several times.  I know that's a serious subject, but, for some reason those scenes just cracked me up.  I really do like them.  It's too bad that the lake house deal fell though.  I suspect they will get that house....later on.  Just a hunch.  

I respected that they insisted on Alex trying the water fall ride.  It's true that you have to try things, to know that you if you like them.  I recall getting on a monster, super duper roller coaster ONCE. (On my own accord.)  That was it.  I discovered that I don't like roller coasters.  lol   Any other ride, but, NOT roller coasters.  

• Love 6

Emma and Alex are the same age, and Emma was the last to be adopted. IIRC Alex came home at six months and Emma at three years old. The disparity in their maturity and self sufficiency is rather astounding. I like Alex, but my ten year old, adopted at sixteen months is not babied that way. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, SMama said:

Emma and Alex are the same age, and Emma was the last to be adopted. IIRC Alex came home at six months and Emma at three years old. The disparity in their maturity and self sufficiency is rather astounding. I like Alex, but my ten year old, adopted at sixteen months is not babied that way. 

He is exhausting.  I couldn't imagine having to witness the constant histrionics over the most basic of things.  It's every week it seems.  It's like nails on a chalkboard every time he starts the excessive whining and crying over the most basic and silly of things.  I have to mute the TV.  I can't imagine what it's like to experience in real life.  The rest of the family must be desensitized (which, good for them!) to it by now that they just keep laughing and having a good time while he melts down.

He must not watch the show.  I can't see how he watches this and sees how he comes across and then does nothing to change his behavior.  He has to be aware that other people are watching this and having reactions to his continued crybaby tantrums.  I feel like he might be concerned that his peers would judge him for how much of a baby he is and at least try to act better, but it keeps happening so he must not watch.  Or everyone around him keeps their mouths shut.  I know Trent and Amber probably keep the other kids from saying anything, but how could they control other kids at school and such.

• Love 4

Another poster noted during an episode Alex was whining (as usual), and Ana was about to give in to him. Elizabeth told Ana not to baby Alex, that got Elizabeth told off by Amber. On one episode Emma put Eggos on the toaster for Alex, he then asked HER to spread butter on the waffles for him. Emma obliged him and it bugged me. I would have told him to do it himself, as I tell my daughter. Again, Alex has many good qualities but the whining is the most prominent. He should be in middle school now, that age group is ruthless. I really wonder how he manages to function socially in middle school.

• Love 5

I was questioning the decision to get the kids all fired up about the lake house, then disappoint them. Probably producer driven and later on they miraculously come to an agreement with the seller. It would be nice for all the children to have their own room, and privacy.

25 minutes ago, SMama said:

I was questioning the decision to get the kids all fired up about the lake house, then disappoint them. Probably producer driven and later on they miraculously come to an agreement with the seller. It would be nice for all the children to have their own room, and privacy.

I am unsure if they got that house (why otherwise would the home owner allow them to film on his property)  If they didn't get that property, I suspect they already have a house located or even built and were just in the final stages of closing a contract.  I tend to find it hard to believe that they would move into a hotel unless it was for a rather short time, otherwise they would have found a short term apartment rental.

• Love 1

Hard to believe he behaves like such a baby yet is so proficient with his English and they said he has great grades at school.  He is very mature in his understanding of some concepts ie when he didn’t want to go on the water coaster or whatever is is called and he said “this day is going downhill...literally!”  CRACKED.ME.UP.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, KBrownie said:

He is exhausting.  I couldn't imagine having to witness the constant histrionics over the most basic of things.  It's every week it seems.  It's like nails on a chalkboard every time he starts the excessive whining and crying over the most basic and silly of things.  I have to mute the TV.  I can't imagine what it's like to experience in real life.  The rest of the family must be desensitized (which, good for them!) to it by now that they just keep laughing and having a good time while he melts down.

He must not watch the show.  I can't see how he watches this and sees how he comes across and then does nothing to change his behavior.  He has to be aware that other people are watching this and having reactions to his continued crybaby tantrums.  I feel like he might be concerned that his peers would judge him for how much of a baby he is and at least try to act better, but it keeps happening so he must not watch.  Or everyone around him keeps their mouths shut.  I know Trent and Amber probably keep the other kids from saying anything, but how could they control other kids at school and such.

I am very new to this show, so I haven't had time to get annoyed by anyone.  And since I'm new, I am just learning the family dynamics.  I do hate when children are babied and it limits their growth.  BUT, if Alex's main problem is anxiety, I must say that it's no fun being Alex, either

• Love 5

Trent handled the mouthy kids at the ride park so well.  What a genuinely nice man and great father. I really do think his interaction with those kids about the M word sunk in, and his manner was just so kind and respectful without being demeaning and angry. I like this family a whole bunch. 

• Love 13
12 hours ago, CalicoskiesNC said:

Trent handled the mouthy kids at the ride park so well.  What a genuinely nice man and great father. I really do think his interaction with those kids about the M word sunk in, and his manner was just so kind and respectful without being demeaning and angry. I like this family a whole bunch. 

I agree, he did such a great job of explaining why the M word was offensive, and his strategy of introducing himself was really effective. He was a great role model to his own children in that moment as well. Trent is a class act. 

• Love 9
16 hours ago, CalicoskiesNC said:

I was pleasantly surprised at how he handled that.  I thought for sure he would get a little nasty with them and I probably would have cheered him on for that too but WOW, he's a great guy and handles things so well.   

I haven't seen anything on their instagram about a new house but i'll keep my eye out!  They'd have to be in something new by now.  I was willing to bet they got that house because they were allowed to show it on tv.  Same reason I knew Tyler and Cate from Teen Mom got a house they showed interested in on the house, because they didn't blur it out at all. However Amber being a realtor maybe had an agreement with the owner OR it was a set up house just for their storyline and they didn't show the actual house they tried to get. 

They did really great work on the remodel of the house so I'm not surprised it sold fast. 

• Love 2

Alex is probably really good in school.   my nephews are similar, they act up at home a lot - especially when we're visiting and grandma caves to ever whim so I'm not sure how they act normally but I was SHOCKED when I heard that they are praised for being well behaved and good students at school. 

he does seem to have some irrational fears and worries so if he's not in therapy yet I'm sure in the future he probably will be.  I think they brush it off because he still looks like a little kid (well since he is...) but I think once he becomes a teenager and crying over stuff he really shouldn't then they might realize something is going on that they need to get checked out. 

• Love 2
On 10/12/2017 at 8:43 PM, DkNNy79 said:

Brussels sprouts are delicious if you know how to cook them.  Roasted in the oven with salt, pepper and olive oil is simple and yummy.  My hubby adds a bit of maple syrup sometimes for sweetness.  Amber boiling them was setting them up for failure.  

They definitely need to try and eat healthier.  Alex and Elizabeth definitely need to lose some weight.    The other 3 kids seem very proportionate for their body frames.

Yes...that is the best way for Brussels Sprouts...roasted in the oven w/ garlic powder and olive oil, salt and pepper...till a little crispy..YUM

On 10/19/2017 at 3:36 AM, alegtostandon said:

I do not watch this show regularly, but there is definitely something we're not being told about Anna. There is total lack of trust on the parents end and a lot of hostility on Anna's end. They really need to resolve this. 

If I remember correctly, Anna has gotten in trouble at school...something to do with graffiti

• Love 2
On 10/27/2017 at 9:22 AM, EastCoast4Life said:

I agree, he did such a great job of explaining why the M word was offensive, and his strategy of introducing himself was really effective. He was a great role model to his own children in that moment as well. Trent is a class act. 

Oh yes.  I think both parents are good role models.  I feel that it's vital to teach kids how to think for themselves and how to effectively, speak up for yourself.  With too much reality tv we see how people just yell at someone to eff off, which accomplishes nothing. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

I think he acts like he is four years old. I can't imagine he is is not teased at school

he IS nails on a chalkboard to me .....I want someone to say to him "stop being a brat!"

• Love 3
On 10/11/2017 at 7:14 PM, KBrownie said:

Those impression things are NOT nice, but he's more than old enough to just tough it out and get it done.  And how is it a treat for Emma to try and eat all that stuff with brand new braces in her mouth?  Amber has been borderline hostile and aggressive with the three older kids but treats the younger two with kid gloves.  You can practically see the older three rolling their eyes every time Alex opens his mouth.  Emma is sometimes just as much as a baby as Alex.  Last week when she couldn't ride the bike she accused Jonah of "pushing" her and that's why she fell.  I feel bad for the older three.  They probably catch a lot of grief behind Alex and Emma and have no recourse but to grin and bear it. 

I have noticed that Alex is very exuberant and blurts out everything which Amber and Trent further encourage by laughing and/or acknowledging him. And I am glad to read that you think Amber is borderline hostile towards the older kids because I have often felt that she almost goes out of her way to find something to pick about Anna and then will throw in a consequence. I am tired of hearing "Anna is our problem child. She always pushes the limits of honesty and responsibility". By constantly labeling her role within the family, will only serve to have her live up to their expectations."

• Love 7
On 10/26/2017 at 11:19 AM, KBrownie said:

When I was in family counseling, one of the most consistent observations we'd make was that kids (pretty much) showed their true selves when they were alone at school or in public. As soon as parents are within their peripheral, they begin to act out and push boundaries. A rule of thumb (with exception to abusive families) was that the more kids acted up, the more 'loved' they felt as they knew their parents' love wasn't conditional on good behaviour, or specific actions. They can be monkeys; get into trouble, but they will always remain loved.

• Love 1
On 4/3/2015 at 7:55 AM, KarmaG said:

I actually think Trent was talking about "now". He wanted to stop it before it really got started. As Amber said, small things turn into bigger things. Either way, I like how they handled it. I like when parents explain the "why" to their kid, not just hand down a punishment and hope the kid figures out the "why" on their own.

I do too. I recently started watching the show. I just finished season one. I had been watching The Little Couple but really can’t take it anymore.  Those two kids appear to be developing into entitled and spoiled people.

Trent and Amber appear to discipline their kids. There is no counting, there are no hollow threats, and they say what they mean and mean what they say.If any of their kids acted like Will Klein, there would be hell to pay.   I am not a fan of Alex, he’s a bit to precocious for my tastes, but he does obey his parents. 

I felt sorry for Anna because her little heart was broken. However, what she learned was that there are consequences to actions. That is a lesson that will serve her well in life.

When Will Klein was told he needed to do something or he wasn’t going to go shopping with his father, his comment was “yes I will.” Even at his age, he understands a hollow threat when he hears it.

So far, I am very impressed with Trent and Amber both as parents and as people. They work hard and they instill a work ethic in their kids.

• Love 3
On 11/11/2015 at 3:34 PM, woodscommaelle said:

Two things:

1. Dr. Fletcher was way too cute and seemed like such a nice guy.  No wonder the kids love him.

2. I felt so sad for Alex.  Regardless of how annoying I find him, no child should have to face the medical issues he's facing.  Poor kid.

I just finished watching season two. And I agree very much with your comments. At times, I find him annoying because he’s precocious. However, he has a lot to deal with medically and he doesn’t act out at the doctor’s office.  There’s no hurling himself through the reception area,   there  is no screeching, and there is no giving his mother a hard time. He sits there like a gentleman, he asks  his mother questions,  and he holds her hand while they walk from the reception area to what ever is going to be done.  

Very unlike a  seven-year-old from another TLC show.

I have become very impressed with Alex.

• Love 1
On 12/15/2015 at 11:19 PM, goldensglitter said:

I have to say the more I watch this show the more I like it.  Tonights epi was especially poignant with Amber struggling with bio dad issues. I can relate, my Mom had the same issues and were never resolved.  She suffered emotionally her whole life because of it.  So Amber, good or bad, resolve it.  You are a tough cookie and I know could handle any bad news on that end.  You have your family supporting you.  It was nice seeing the extended family.  Amber's adopted Dad seems terrific.  I did not see an ounce of staging in this episode, I am happy to say.  Pretty real and very interesting to see the dynamics of this family.

I too felt very sorry for her. She has a wonderful adoptive father who truly loves her and treat her with love and respect. In my opinion, her biological father doesn’t deserve a daughter like her.  I really wish she would drop it because she keeps going to a well that is dry and will continue to be hurt. If he wanted a relationship with her, he would have initiated it long ago and certainly would have reciprocated when she initiated it.

I disagreed with her calling him out on it and asking him out right what he wanted. His actions are clear, in my opinion. He wants no relationship with her, or, if any, a very minimal one. Actions always speak more honestly than words.

She’s got a dad and she’s got a father and both of those things are the man that adopted her.  Her biological father will bring her nothing but hurt.  

• Love 1

I have not watched season three yet – just saw the previews.  They did not get rid of the dogs did they???  I am worried about that because in one of the previews they were all crying and Trend made a comment that you kids come first. If they get rid of the dogs, I’m gonna be very upset.  I love this family and I love the dogs, especially Jessie.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:05 AM, Hero said:

I feel like Anna really gets trashed on by her family. Trent and Amber say that they treat her equally and fairly, but they don't. They put her down a lot. 

For the most part, I like the way these two parent their children. However, I agree with you about Anna.  The thing that really got me is when Amber told Anna she could do her hair and make up for the photo shoot.   And, as you pointed out, all Amber did was make faces, criticize, and make disapproving sounds.   Since this was an important photograph, and since Anna is just a teenager and untrained, Amber should have just thanked her and explained that she needed to get someone to do it that was a professional but that Anna could do her hair and make up another time. And, then when Anna did it, either give constructive criticism or act like she liked it.

The way she handled it I thought was demeaning, embarrassing for her daughter because it was being filmed, and, certainly, would not instill confidence in her daughter.  It surprised me because she never treated any of the other children this way.  

I think that is very different than the way Trent was talking about to Anna about driving.  He has some very serious concerns about her maturity level and her bent her with pushing the boundaries.  I think that he did a good job explaining to her how he felt and what she needed to do to be trusted to drive once she got her license. And, I think he would have talked to any of the other children that way if they were displaying immature behavior around something that is as serious as driving.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I think the film company was involved in a lawsuit with TLC?, which delayed  editing etc. same reason the Little Couple didn’t have as many episodes,,

Thank you for answering this and my other question!

Edited by Kid
On 10/10/2018 at 12:03 PM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I am finally seeing the previews for the upcoming season, I wonder what happened to their new house that they may lose it all 

I caught some of the previews of the shows that are upcoming, what I gathered is that mom & dad want to go into business for themselves and must have mortgaged the house.