Type keyword(s) to search

7 Little Johnstons - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, LaLa54 said:

Amber, the undisputed queen of RBF, ragging on Anna’s RBF? Ha! I’m glad to see her self-awareness levels this season are continuing to hold their own at ZERO🤦‍♀️

And, at least Anna isn’t actually a biotch. In Amber’s case, her RBF matches her personality. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
27 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

It can be when it's the first time living on your own. Away from the evil negativity of Amber and Trent. 

Granted, but there are myriad clues that the older kids are actually buying rather than renting those houses...which is the smart thing to do with their TLC money, so good for them!  I guess the show isn't supposed to acknowledge that they actually get paid for this, though...  "Reality" TV!

As for Anna, she finally got a "real" job (they didn't seem to respect her working in a daycare, although that's her passion) and instead of praising her, they have to tear her down yet again.  Ditto everything said about Amber's resting bitch personality.  Also, what doctor's office receptionist smiles like an idiot all day long?  I've never seen one do it.  Liz's "just wear a mask so they can't see your face" and other digs were typical Amber Jr. 

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 10

In my state of IL at least ALL DOCTORS offices still require employees and patients to wear a mask. They even make sure it covers your nose properly here! I am sure this was just another attempt at cutting down Anna. I cannot stand Ambers bio child Liz at all. The 2 adopted daughters are a joy! I'm glad to see Amber lose that weight and it will be much harder for Liz if she waits until she's her mothers age to try to get fit. She is looking so big in these last shows. I hope if she gets married she may want to look better in her gown? It must be her type of dwarfism that makes them get so big. The other girls are not nearly as heavy and especially not nearly as tall as Liz. 

• Love 4

They all supposedly have the same type - achondroplasia - but yeah, the reason Anna can hula-hoop is because she has an actual figure instead of being shaped like a barrel.  I'm sure Brice wouldn't complain if she got as big as a house!  She found a man who adores her unconditionally, just like her mother did.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 3

Sad that Trent and Amber are shoving their kids out the door. Let them have fun, be young, and spend money! They have the rest of their lives to be responsible! I still pitched in at home, with chores, and gave my parents money every month, which they surprised me with, and gave it back to me to use when I moved out! My parents maintained a good balance with that. 

But, based on the show, I don't blame them for getting out from under their parents' control. 

I'm so tired of Elizabeth's passive-aggressive side comments, and little digs at Anna. She thinks she's so smart and so much better than the others. We know she gets it from Amber.

The whole "Trent quit his job" thing was so obviously staged for TV. 

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Calibabydolly said:

In my state of IL at least ALL DOCTORS offices still require employees and patients to wear a mask. They even make sure it covers your nose properly here! I am sure this was just another attempt at cutting down Anna. I cannot stand Ambers bio child Liz at all. The 2 adopted daughters are a joy! I'm glad to see Amber lose that weight and it will be much harder for Liz if she waits until she's her mothers age to try to get fit. She is looking so big in these last shows. I hope if she gets married she may want to look better in her gown? It must be her type of dwarfism that makes them get so big. The other girls are not nearly as heavy and especially not nearly as tall as Liz. 

I didn’t realize Anna was adopted. So three are birthed and three adopted?

I just started watching the show this season  

1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

I didn’t realize Anna was adopted. So three are birthed and three adopted?

I just started watching the show this season  

No, they have five kids:

Jonah - biological

Anna - adopted from Russia

Elizabeth - biological

Emma - adopted from China

Alex - adopted from South Korea

Anna is about a year older than Elizabeth.

• Useful 2

But they had both Jonah and Elizabeth before adopting (even though Anna is older).  She was adopted at age 4, and I'm sure she's been hearing that "resting bitch face" from Amber, who's still bitter about their attachment failure, ever since.  In other news, I read that Anna has a boyfriend!  He basically looks like Jonah without the dwarfism.  Go, Anna!!!

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

I kind of thought Jonah was an ass to his girlfriend during and after the jet ski ride… he’s taller and he had the handle bars to hang on to and anchor himself, his girlfriend is tiny, neither of her legs were long enough to place her feet down firmly like Liz did behind Brice… I was afraid she might fly off PLUS if someone is scared and screaming to please “Slow the fuck down” a nice guy/boyfriend would slow down!…. Just because he doesn’t mind getting bruised or bumped around doesn’t mean that that’s something she’s ok with! … what a JERK!  

then he acts like a robot at dinner and just dumps his roommate news on her! Ugh!!

that girl can do so much better than jackass Jonah 🙄

Edited by Joan of Argh
Autocorrect blech!
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I kind of thought Jonah was an ass to his girlfriend during and after the jet ski ride… he’s taller and he had the handle bars to hang on to and anchor himself, his girlfriend is tiny, neither of her legs were long enough to place her feet down firmly like Liz did behind Brice… I was afraid she might fly off PLUS if someone is scared and screaming to please “Slow the fuck down” a nice guy/boyfriend would slow down!…. Just because he doesn’t mind getting bruised or bumped around doesn’t mean that that’s something she’s ok with! … what a JERK!  

then he acts like a robot at dinner and just dumps his roommate news on her! Ugh!!

that girl can do so much better than jackass Jonah 🙄

• Love 1

Jonah is terrible. I'm new to the show but I've got my eye on Jonah and Elizabeth the two older, natural kids.  I bet those younger ones couldn't wait for them to move out!  What nasty people they are.

Jonah was so mean on that Jet ski and you could see the nasty glee in his face!

At lunch he climbed up on his chair with nary a worry about his girlfriend struggling to get up there.

Lazy  Zack Roloff could be making a killing on those little people stools his father invented!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I kind of thought Jonah was an ass to his girlfriend during and after the jet ski ride…

What an A-Hole he is! Then he casually mentions he has roommate moving in. She clearly looks hurt and unhappy. He seems like the most boring boyfriend on the planet. She mentioned in her confessional they only see each other every 3 months or so now. What kind of a relationship is that? She's adorable and way too tolerant of this boring, entitled jerk, she could do so much better!

Edited by bichonblitz
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15

I agree, Jonah was a complete asshole to Ashley. She was clearly scared on the jet ski and he ignored her pleas. At the restaurant he didn't pull out her chair or help her. Sitting there not talking with the smug look on  his face. I hope she dumps his sorry ass and finds someone better, she seems like a lovely sweet young lady. Liz is just annoying as always, I see she dumped her bff Dacey for Brice and she stuck with Anna. I was secretly hoping that Dacey and Brice would secretly start to date, that would be funny. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

Jonah was an asshole to Ashley with the jet ski. How hard is it to ride a little bit slower for her for a time, and then let her off, and go full speed demon by himself? I would be traumatized if my boyfriend just let me be terrified, and I would dump him for sure. Ashley, run! He doesn't respect you! He clearly does not care about you. I do not see them lasting like Elizabeth and Brice might.

Jonah seems to have no EQ (emotional intelligence), nor does he have a romantic bone in his body. He is a snooze as a person, and boyfriend. His idea of romance is take out food in the living room every night. Trent and Brice are definitely more sensitive and romantic.

Not telling Ashley about moving out, and that he was having his friend be his roommate was definitely shitty to do. Not being upfront and honest with your girlfriend, and hiding things from them is immature, and a red flag. If she is 21, she could be in her final year of college, and would be able to move in with Jonah in 2022. She was clearly upset, and I don't think she's happy with him. He obviously does not want to live with her.

With Jonah's whole moving out thing, I can see both sides. If he stays in GA, he and Ashley see each other way less. If he decided to move to NC, and the relationship didn't work out, he's stuck with a lease four hours away from home. In some ways, it's kind of a lose-lose situation. But Jonah also chose the safe option of staying in GA, instead of taking a risk, and choosing to be physically closer to Ashley. This keeps her at arm's length, and he has an built-in excuse to not be with her, have intimacy (not just sex, but letting someone in and being vulnerable), and take the next steps with her to a have a true, mature relationship. We know Jonah is lazy, and staying in GA further enables him to stay that way. I think he wants all the 'perks' and benefits of a girlfriend, without putting in the work to be a person worthy of marriage and a real commitment; most 21 year olds aren't, that's okay. I know I was nowhere near ready for that at 21. He just wants a girlfriend, and to have a good time, no major commitments. I think that the long-distance thing will be what breaks them up. They won't last. Ashley can do so much better than him. Most people don't meet their soulmate at 21, or in high school. Jonah has a lot of maturing and growing up to do if he wants to be worthy of being someone's husband someday.

TLDR; (too long, didn't read) - Jonah is lazy, immature, boring, insensitive, not romantic, and clearly doesn't want a serious relationship, and Ashley should dump him and find someone better.

Moving on...I notice that in her interviews, Elizabeth tends to over-explain things and add in a bunch of extra words to sound smart, because she always has to be a know-it-all, and smarter and better than her siblings. She did when explaining parasailing. She is clearly insecure.

I laughed so hard when Amber talked about Alex saying, "I've been waiting for this [the older siblings moving out] since I was ten." LOL I loved it. Alex and Emma are much calmer than the older three. Not as much drama with them.

I like Heidi's husband, Jay. He's cool.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Ashley, run like the wind and don’t look back! Selfish, rude and inconsiderate do not always come out in the wash and I have yet to see any proof that Jonah is worth the let’s-wait-and-see approach. Overabundance of alarms going off with that guy. If he doesn’t have her best interest at heart now, he never will. 

• Love 12

Worth a mention, Amber saying yes, yes, yes and then yelling yeah while she ogled 3 young men in American flag swim trunks was grossly inappropriate.  Add to it Trent's sister Heidi commenting on the physique of the person responsible for the fire within his earshot and repeatedly where's Amber--it was juvenile.

I think they are trying to sell us on Heidi and her little person husband and daughter because the kids are pulling away.

If you are going to say anything about the physique of other people then you need to accept that they may say flattering or inappropriate/derogatory things about you.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 12/7/2021 at 10:56 AM, all4mom2 said:

Amber might actually be jealous of Trent's close relationship with his parents since her own biological father rejected her not once, but twice.  Maybe that's her "issue"...  She obviously has AT LEAST one!

I just started watching this last season, so I don't know her back story. What is the story with her bio dad?

On 12/8/2021 at 9:35 AM, all4mom2 said:

Oh, and fake home invasion?  Not funny!  Those poor animals were traumatized.

This bothered me so much. I even anticipated it when they were plotting the "prank" at their house. Cruiser was absolutely traumatized by their stunt, trying desperately to climb over the back of the couch.

And speaking of Cruiser - did Anna say that he is left alone for 12 hours a day while she is at work??? And she put a doggie door in for him so he is able to go outside while she's not there? This is insane. He shouldn't be left alone for that long to begin with, but having a small dog go out alone is asking for trouble. Even if he is fenced in, hawks and owls (and in my neck of the woods, eagles) can easily swoop down and grab them. Not to mention the anxiety and depression associated with being alone for that long, especially after being raised in an active household with lots of human companionship all the time. I'm just shaking my head over the pets on this show. Please tell me if I've misunderstood this doggie door/12 hour alone time situation.

• Love 7

So now, neither Trent nor Amber have jobs? Or she won't too much longer. Three years of college in two years doesn't sound realistic much either. Unless she goes to the same school as she did for the one year she completed she might not be able to transfer those credits to another college either. Where I live, most places cost  at least $15-$20 thousand a year tuition. My grand daughter's school costs $35 a year this year. So we are talking thousands of dollars in tuition just for the college part, and she has to get accredited for the tech part too? And did she say she teaches computer to kindergarten and first grade students? That can't pay a whole lot I wouldn't think? She claims Trent will now do better, and go on to bigger and better things? He is getting close to 50, has little education, and is a dwarf. Some jobs he won't qualify for just because of his short stature. Others, he will be getting too old to just start out in and many others, he will need more than just a high school diploma. 

• Love 4

She may be working mostly for the benefits.  Schools have pretty good benefits.  I'm guessing she will just accept another job.

Going to college when you are around 50 is a lot harder than 18.  Brain power gets lost in those years.  My smart daughter got her nursing degree when she was in her 40's. She said it was a lot harder plus then she had family responsibilities that didn't go away!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Too bad Trent "quit" (retired from) the college; don't employees and their families get free or at least greatly reduced tuition?

Like the Gosselins, Busby's, younger Roloffs, and other TLC royalty, the show has become their only job.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, winsomeone said:

So now, neither Trent nor Amber have jobs? Or she won't too much longer. Three years of college in two years doesn't sound realistic much either. Unless she goes to the same school as she did for the one year she completed she might not be able to transfer those credits to another college either. Where I live, most places cost  at least $15-$20 thousand a year tuition. My grand daughter's school costs $35 a year this year. So we are talking thousands of dollars in tuition just for the college part, and she has to get accredited for the tech part too? And did she say she teaches computer to kindergarten and first grade students? That can't pay a whole lot I wouldn't think? She claims Trent will now do better, and go on to bigger and better things? He is getting close to 50, has little education, and is a dwarf. Some jobs he won't qualify for just because of his short stature. Others, he will be getting too old to just start out in and many others, he will need more than just a high school diploma. 

I don’t think she was actually teaching, but more like monitoring the class and helping them log on, etc. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Interesting that the parents and Jonah and Ashley all chose to sit in the high barstools even those there were short tables along the beach rail too.

I suppose that it is to remind us that they can do anything, just in a different day.  Why not sit at the shorter tables?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Ms.Lulu said:

This is such a filler episode--shuffleboard & mini golf.  So boring!

27 minutes ago, Ms.Lulu said:

More filler--Trent farting and the three younger people taking photos for their Etsy businesses.

BORING!

Anna said she was done with summer semester classes, so, she is still in college.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I can’t see putting lots of money, time and energy into going back to college in order to get qualified to teach K-2 at Amber’s age.   And I’m normally a huge college fan. Even if she’s just doing computer stuff…..She could likely find something else with similar benefits and pay.  Of course, with only two kids at home, they could sell their house and downsize. Lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

That is what I was thinking too. Spend $50-60,000 to go back to school at age 50 to teach 5-6 year olds the computer? She would never get that money back with the salary that job must pay. Plus I doubt many schools would let her sign up for 6 classes per semester at her age, if she could even get into all of the classes that she would need. They fill up fast and kids can not always get the classes they need.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Assuming she goes to University of North Georgia and non of her previous credits transfer, her degree will cost her less that $30K.

If previous credits transfer or she get 45 'life experience' credits it will cost her about $20K.

Honestly, I just want her to go back to school to experience what her daughters are doing.  I think it will help her to appreciate them more.

My guess is Amber will do one semester and then drop out and become a classroom assistant to keep benefits.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 12/27/2021 at 7:27 PM, ShortyMac said:

rent has another job; he has been a car salesman at a dealership since at least August.

Following Jonah's footsteps? That's rich considering how they were so negative about him working at a dealership. 

I doubt Amber was making much money teaching small kids in a computer lab. At her age, I wouldn't waste my time going to college for that. She could easily find something else to do. By the way, I distinctly remember her selling real estate a few seasons ago and she seemed to be pretty good at it. What happened to that?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I doubt Amber was making much money teaching small kids in a computer lab. At her age, I wouldn't waste my time going to college for that. She could easily find something else to do. By the way, I distinctly remember her selling real estate a few seasons ago and she seemed to be pretty good at it. What happened to that?

Don't forget that she wanted to be a professional furniture refinisher at one point, too (and have Trent quit his job to join her).  I suspect this whole college ruse -- with just one year of college, I'm sure she's a school aide and not a "teacher" -- is just an excuse for her to move on to her next hobby-job for next season.  I also, as I've said, believe Trent retired rather than quit (another storyline), and then there's all that TLC money rolling in, so I doubt the Johnstons are hurting for money now...

My take-away?  I'm glad Cruiser got to socialize with the family and his old buddy dog at the home he no doubt misses.  I wonder if Jesse is depressed now, as well?

Finally, although she didn't appear this week: RUN, ASHLEY; RUN LIKE THE WIND!

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

Following Jonah's footsteps? That's rich considering how they were so negative about him working at a dealership. 

My guess, for whatever it’s worth, is that Amber started working for the school system for the benefits in advance of Trent’s planned retirement when he hit his obligatory 20 years. The whole, “Trent just suddenly up and quit his job” storyline is fiction.  I agree that Amber won’t finish her degree, giving a multitude of excuses, just like the first time. 

2 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

Assuming she goes to University of North Georgia and non of her previous credits transfer, her degree will cost her less that $30K.

If previous credits transfer or she get 45 'life experience' credits it will cost her about $20K.

Honestly, I just want her to go back to school to experience what her daughters are doing.  I think it will help her to appreciate them more.

My guess is Amber will do one semester and then drop out and become a classroom assistant to keep benefits.

She won’t appreciate her daughters more for any reason. She’ll claim that her experience, even if it’s similar to theirs, will be far more laborious, difficult, and grueling than theirs. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

When you retire from the state (as I'm sure Trent did), you take your benefits with you; you get full medical coverage until Medicare-eligible, and then it covers your supplemental insurance...  However, I agree with Amber that she would not have time to work full-time and attend school full-time.  Not when she has to meddle in, micromanage, and completely take over everything her husband and kids do...

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I did a bit of research and saw that Trent worked for about 5 years at Clayton State and about 16 years at other state institutions.  So he has around 21 years of service to the state of Georgia.

Georgia requirements for pension are:

• 30 years of service or 60 years of age for full pension.
  • If you retire early, your monthly benefit will be permanently reduced by the lesser of one-twelfth of 7% for each month you are below age 60, OR 7% for each year or fraction of a year by which you have less than 30 years of creditable service. 

• You are eligible for some level of payout at 10 years of service.

Trent is 45 years old.  He will definitely get some form of pension, but I don't think he can draw on it now or he will only get a small fraction of his pension payout.

I had a friend in a similar position and she left her pensioned state job and then worked elsewhere until she was able to draw her full pension and sign up for her retirement health benefits at age 60.  Basically, she worked for 4 years elsewhere for benefits and a modest salary.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

At least in my state, you can buy "air time."  That allows you to work fewer years and retire younger with your full pension.  And I'm sure, thanks to TLC, he could afford to do so.  I seriously doubt he just "quit" versus retired.  Whipped as he is, even Trent has more fiscal sense than to do that.

I'm equally sure the older kids have bought those houses, as daddy doesn't come over "to work on them" when they're the property of some landlord.  In fact, DIY is strongly discouraged with rental houses!

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

At least in my state, you can buy "air time."  That allows you to work fewer years and retire younger.  And I'm sure, thanks to TLC, he could afford to do so.

You are correct, the same is true in Georgia.

I didn't include it, but you can buy up to three years of "air time" in Georgia.  That would make Trent 6 years short with a penalty of 7% a year or 42% less pension.

The Johnstons could go that route for the pension and take the 58% payout, but they wouldn't be eligible for medical benefits.  

Of course, they could always buy coverage on the state health exchange.

With episodes focused on shuffleboard and mini golf and the three older children out of the house I have to believe that's why they brought in the Scandinavian little person as an exchange student--to keep the gravy train going for a bit longer.

• Love 4

In my state, you become "vested," and that includes benefits.  If you retire truly early (short of a full pension), you still retain either 50% or - in Trent's case - 75% of your family's medical benefits.  To reiterate: I'm sure he retired rather than quit.

We could argue forever, but there's no need: thanks to TLC, they're sitting pretty -- jobs or no jobs!!!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms.Lulu said:

You are correct, the same is true in Georgia.

I didn't include it, but you can buy up to three years of "air time" in Georgia.  That would make Trent 6 years short with a penalty of 7% a year or 42% less pension.

The Johnstons could go that route for the pension and take the 58% payout, but they wouldn't be eligible for medical benefits.  

Of course, they could always buy coverage on the state health exchange.

With episodes focused on shuffleboard and mini golf and the three older children out of the house I have to believe that's why they brought in the Scandinavian little person as an exchange student--to keep the gravy train going for a bit longer.

Amber’s probably providing the benefits through the school system. 

• Useful 1
58 minutes ago, readheaded said:

Amber’s probably providing the benefits through the school system. 

Again...after that long a stint with the state, TRENT is providing the benefits.

Amber probably just got bored because some of her children were becoming too old to supervise 24/7, so decided to reinvent herself as a "teacher."  Next season...

Who knows???

• Love 2
4 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

When you retire from the state (as I'm sure Trent did), you take your benefits with you; you get full medical coverage until Medicare-eligible, and then it covers your supplemental insurance...  However, I agree with Amber that she would not have time to work full-time and attend school full-time.  Not when she has to meddle in, micromanage, and completely take over everything her husband and kids do...

I wish this was true but in my state, retirees have to pay for their insurance or Medicare Advantage if it’s even available. They just announced that those not eligible for Medicare (like me) are on their own and have to sign up through Obamacare. Luckily I was able to get on my husband’s insurance when I retired but I am furious on behalf of others. 

I agree that based on his years of service Trent is not getting full retirement pension. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

Again...after that long a stint with the state, TRENT is providing the benefits.

Amber probably just got bored because some of her children were becoming too old to supervise 24/7, so decided to reinvent herself as a "teacher."  Next season...

Who knows???

Again, unless someone here knows the Johnstons and their personal business, none of us knows who, if anyone, is REALLY providing the benefits. 

13 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I wish this was true but in my state, retirees have to pay for their insurance or Medicare Advantage if it’s even available. They just announced that those not eligible for Medicare (like me) are on their own and have to sign up through Obamacare. Luckily I was able to get on my husband’s insurance when I retired but I am furious on behalf of others. 

I agree that based on his years of service Trent is not getting full retirement pension. 

Yes, it totally depends on the state. 

• Love 1
On 12/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

Just like the last season of The Brady Bunch when they brought in Oliver.

The Cousin Oliver Syndrome

Edited by druzy
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
On 12/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

I would LOVE to know the older kids’ thoughts on this, especially after they all moved out. 

• Love 5

New episode....

Amber explains that they kicked out the oldest three in order to focus on the younger two without distractions and give them all their attention, so they bring in a third one upon whom A&T are going to impart all their worldly wisdom?  Makes as much sense as anything else those two froot loop parents do!

Also love how Amber and Anna's relationship has improved, according to Amber, because she "learned how Anna's brain works," and Anna "matured and realized that mom is always right"!

Edited by all4mom2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6