Type keyword(s) to search

7 Little Johnstons - General Discussion

• Start Topic

^^^

Oh, I was referring to a municipal bus.  That was a major source of transportation for my friends and me when we were too young to drive, and I didn’t come from an urban area or anything.  Buses are everywhere.  Sometimes, if the bus wasn’t running on schedule, we might have to pool for a taxi out of allowance money or something, but we got around.

As far as a school bus, where I’m from, and also where my husband is from, the public school has to provide a school bus (and textbooks) to private school students, as long as the school is within a 15 mile radius, regardless of the size of the school.  But if this school district doesn’t provide a bus for some reason, I think that’s her parents’ responsibility to get her to school, whether it’s by them, a carpool arrangement, or paying someone to do it. 

My sister is older than I am, so she got her license first, and there was never a whiff from my parents that she should ever drive me around.  It was her car, her license.  If we went somewhere together, she would drive, but I’m sure we made arrangements about compensation.  I wasn’t getting her petrol for free, and when I got my license, she still voluntarily drove me around for some reason.  Maybe because I wasn’t a pain in the ass about it, I didn’t feel entitled, and my parents never put any pressure on her.  

• Love 2
On 4/9/2020 at 6:18 PM, camom said:

It seems to me that Trent and Amber favor their biological children over the adopted ones. Jonah flunks out of college, doesn't have a job, and still has his mom waiting on him hand and foot.  Elizabeth gets her own bedroom, even though she is just one year older than Anna, who has to share with a middle schooler.  Anna is blamed for pretty much everything and is having to go away to college whether she wants to or not.  Emma is criticized quite a bit or is just ignored.  Alex is babied, but I think perhaps he acts that way because if he acted his age his parents would turn on him, too. 

I don't understand the "flunk out" drama...

Jonah said failed math - either one or both semesters. If it was 1st semester, he would have taken the same/equivalent course the 2nd semester, as math classes are taken in order.

If he failed the same class twice , it meant he needed to take a step back in the math sequence (IE something equivalent to 12 grade basic math) before continuing on. Colleges are pretty good in initially placing freshman students in the math class they are supposed to in based upon test scores and HS transcript. Some college also give initial placement tests before final enrollment into a class.

which math class was it? sorry for sounding mean - but Jonah doesn't strike me as the ambitious studious young man who would sign up for something like "Multivariable Calculus", as a 1st semester freshman. Not sure what his prospective major was.

Jonah told the therapist he had 14 credits for each semester, for a total of 28 credits earned.  A typical college class is 3 credit hours, so that means he enrolled for 17 credit hours.

Earning 14 credits is not flunking out. Granted it may take slightly more than 4 years to graduate, but you're still enrolled - just having an issue getting the math requirement done.

Even if he initially enrolled for 14, and earned 11, still not flunking out - just will take longer to graduate. Go to summer school, take just the one math class, and keep going.

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I don't understand the "flunk out" drama...

A matter of semantics, I suppose.  Yes, he has some credits, but he was basically kicked out of community college because of his grades.  In my mind, that's flunking out.  I hope he gets his act together.  I think the suggestion of vocational training is good.  

I'm not upset like others about Jonah being expected to drive his other siblings places.  He is living in his parents' house, with them paying all expenses (including college), driving a car they bought, maintain, and insure.  In most families I know, the older siblings have some more responsibilities but also have more freedoms.  

Emma and Alex are the same age, but they seem to be about five years apart in maturity.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, sATL said:

which math class was it? sorry for sounding mean - but Jonah doesn't strike me as the ambitious studious young man who would sign up for something like "Multivariable Calculus", as a 1st semester freshman. Not sure what his prospective major was.

He said it was Statistics.

• Love 1
On 4/16/2020 at 3:28 PM, ShortyMac said:

He said it was Statistics.

tough class yes... but if it's the 2nd time going over the same material...

surprising that statistics was for a 1st semester freshman and possibly only class for the math requirement - meaning maybe he should have tried something else 2nd semester.

Edited by sATL
9 hours ago, camom said:

A matter of semantics, I suppose.  Yes, he has some credits, but he was basically kicked out of community college because of his grades.  In my mind, that's flunking out.  I hope he gets his act together.  I think the suggestion of vocational training is good.  

I'm not upset like others about Jonah being expected to drive his other siblings places.  He is living in his parents' house, with them paying all expenses (including college), driving a car they bought, maintain, and insure.  In most families I know, the older siblings have some more responsibilities but also have more freedoms.  

Emma and Alex are the same age, but they seem to be about five years apart in maturity.

I'm not upset about him having to drive siblings around, either, in general.  In the situation with Anna, though, because he had to driver her around because she'd gotten in trouble, she should have had to maybe take on some of his chores or something to repay him for his time.  I don't think it's right that he's inconvenienced because she's in trouble, but then she then there's no consequence for her.  My older sons have had to drive my younger ones to practices and to friends' houses because it made my life easier, lol.

Emma seems delightful.  🙂

• Love 2

IMO, most of the issues Amber and Trent have with Jonah and Anna are entirely due to their micromanaging of their kids many years after that should have stopped. 

I remember one incident from an episode last season. Trent was going to take Anna (age 18 at the time) for a driving lesson. As Anna was waiting for Trent to adjust the pedal extensions on the car, Amber told Anna to go put on her jacket because it was cold. IIRC, Anna said she was fine but Amber wouldn't accept that, got angry, and demanded Anna go put on her jacket.

I was floored. 

You don't tell an 18 year old to go put on a jacket. By the age of 18, kids should be able to make decisions as to what clothing is appropriate by taking into account the weather and their own comfort level. As a matter of fact, starting at about age 9 or 10 parents shouldn't be saying more than "It's a bit chilly out; might want to grab a jacket" and if the child declines and goes out without the proper outerwear and gets cold, they've just learned a valuable life lesson. The next time it's cold, they'll grab a jacket.

That's just one example, but after that episode I started to pay more attention to catch other instances of either Trent or Amber "managing" Jonah or Anna, and I realized they do it all the time. 

You should always allow kids to make "bad decisions" (as long as those decisions won't put them at risk for serious injury, of course) because that's how kids learn to make the right decisions. If you're always telling your children what to do, and when and how to do it, they never learn to step back and analyze a situation and choose the appropriate action themselves. It's how they learn self-reliance. If a child hasn't learned self-reliance by the age of 18, their parents have set them up for a very difficult life ahead.

But Trent and Amber insist on controlling everything in their kid's lives. Then when one of their kids is faced with a situation in which they don't have a parent looking over their shoulder to tell them what to do, they have no idea how to work their way through problems and make good decisions on their own. They don't have what should have been 7 or 8 years practice behind them, a history of both good and bad decision-making, and the consequences of each, to draw upon.

I suspect that played a big part in Jonah failing his statistics class and ending up being told to withdraw. That community college has multiple options for students who are struggling academically to draw upon, but without Trent or Amber there to discover those options for him and then demand he take advantage of them, Jonah just floundered along on his own until it was too late.

Trent and Amber are going to find themselves having to "manage" Jonah's and Anna's lives for years to come, and as the younger kids get older, they'll have to continue to manage their lives, too - well past the age of 18.

That's not fair to them, but it's really not fair to their kids.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

IMO, most of the issues Amber and Trent have with Jonah and Anna are entirely due to their micromanaging of their kids many years after that should have stopped. 

I remember one incident from an episode last season. Trent was going to take Anna (age 18 at the time) for a driving lesson. As Anna was waiting for Trent to adjust the pedal extensions on the car, Amber told Anna to go put on her jacket because it was cold. IIRC, Anna said she was fine but Amber wouldn't accept that, got angry, and demanded Anna go put on her jacket.

I was floored. 

You don't tell an 18 year old to go put on a jacket. By the age of 18, kids should be able to make decisions as to what clothing is appropriate by taking into account the weather and their own comfort level. As a matter of fact, starting at about age 9 or 10 parents shouldn't be saying more than "It's a bit chilly out; might want to grab a jacket" and if the child declines and goes out without the proper outerwear and gets cold, they've just learned a valuable life lesson. The next time it's cold, they'll grab a jacket.

That's just one example, but after that episode I started to pay more attention to catch other instances of either Trent or Amber "managing" Jonah or Anna, and I realized they do it all the time. 

You should always allow kids to make "bad decisions" (as long as those decisions won't put them at risk for serious injury, of course) because that's how kids learn to make the right decisions. If you're always telling your children what to do, and when and how to do it, they never learn to step back and analyze a situation and choose the appropriate action themselves. It's how they learn self-reliance. If a child hasn't learned self-reliance by the age of 18, their parents have set them up for a very difficult life ahead.

But Trent and Amber insist on controlling everything in their kid's lives. Then when one of their kids is faced with a situation in which they don't have a parent looking over their shoulder to tell them what to do, they have no idea how to work their way through problems and make good decisions on their own. They don't have what should have been 7 or 8 years practice behind them, a history of both good and bad decision-making, and the consequences of each, to draw upon.

I suspect that played a big part in Jonah failing his statistics class and ending up being told to withdraw. That community college has multiple options for students who are struggling academically to draw upon, but without Trent or Amber there to discover those options for him and then demand he take advantage of them, Jonah just floundered along on his own until it was too late.

Trent and Amber are going to find themselves having to "manage" Jonah's and Anna's lives for years to come, and as the younger kids get older, they'll have to continue to manage their lives, too - well past the age of 18.

That's not fair to them, but it's really not fair to their kids.

Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing....

I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on this.... Do you think the micro-managing obsession is any different or more intense because they're little people and possibly feeling like their child is more likely to be bullied, or pushed aside, taken advantage of etc. So they're constantly trying to protect?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing....

I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on this.... Do you think the micro-managing obsession is any different or more intense because they're little people and possibly feeling like their child is more likely to be bullied, or pushed aside, taken advantage of etc. So they're constantly trying to protect?

No, I don't think that has anything to do with it, because the aspects of their children's lives they're micromanaging have nothing to do with their children potentially being bullied, pushed aside, or taken advantage of. The micromanaging is impeding the children's learning of the basic life skills necessary to successfully navigate the world as adults.

My (former) best friend micromanaged every aspect of her son's life, and neither she nor her son were LPs nor did either of them have any other disabilities. "Helicopter parenting" is a thing. A bad thing, IMO. 

When my own daughter was about to enter 7th grade, I told her I was instituting four new rules:

1. Completing her homework on time was her responsibility. I would be available to help her organize big projects, or to help her when she got stuck (if she asked), but it was up to her to manage her time and make sure her homework got done.

2. She was responsible for getting herself up and dressed and ready for school each morning. If she missed the bus, she'd have to walk. If she was late to school, I wouldn't write her an excuse.

3. She would have to make her own lunch. If she forgot to make it, or left it at home, she'd go hungry that day.

4. She was responsible for gathering together everything she needed for school (books, homework, lunch, etc.) and remembering to take it with her, because if she forgot anything, she'd have to deal with the consequences.

I gently explained to her school was her job, just like I had a job, and nobody woke me up, prodded me to get dressed & ready to go to work, asked me if I remembered to pack everything I needed, or was available to bring me stuff if I forgot it. It was my responsibility to handle those things, and she was old enough now to take responsibility for that stuff, too.

She rose to the challenge. Not once did she miss the bus or forget to bring any of her school materials/homework, but IIRC she did forget her lunch a couple of times. But she's still here, so she didn't starve to death!

Obviously you can't just spring that on a kid you've spent the previous 12 years micromanaging. It worked because I'd been giving her age appropriate responsibilities and decision making power from the time she was 3 or 4 years old.

I also stopped telling my daughter how to dress for the weather around the age of 9. Funny thing is, my daughter deals with cold weather much better than I, and I tolerate hot weather much better than she. The same may be true for Amber and Anna. Just because Amber would have needed a jacket that day to feel comfortable, doesn't mean Anna did. Anna may have felt perfectly comfortable with whatever she was wearing at the time.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 10
On 4/15/2020 at 2:56 PM, MakingBacon said:

Yes, Jonah passed the other classes but we have no idea if he barely passed or if they were high grades and just his math grade was a problem. I tend to think all the grades were middling to low and the math grade just tanked his GPA. He isn’t going to be kicked out of college for failing a math class twice but he will if he was on academic probation two semesters in a row. Anyone really thing a B+  or above student is being kicked out of college for failing a math class twice? Lots of schools will let you pass with D+ grades. It’s not like he was at MIT or Harvard. Hell, he could have decided to take the class a different semester or during the summer. 

I have only seen a couple of episodes of this show and I just do not like anyone other than maybe the two youngest. I don’t know the backstory of the family’s issues with Anna but it’s obvious she could cure cancer and they would still find fault within her. She is the family scapegoat. Jonah couldn’t do well at school because he had to drop his siblings, either Anna or the other kids (notice he only focused on taking Anna to school), a couple of times a week when he didn’t have class? Oh poor Jonah, he should be happy he was driving a car. A lot of kids are working full-time jobs, going to school and taking public transportation to get everywhere. I can’t feel bad for him. The parents just annoy me. 

Jonah is spoiled. I think they lied about him getting 14 credits in one semester. What school did he go to?

• Love 4

I'm not knocking vocational school for Jonah, but doesn't he need some-kind of idea or desire to enroll in a program that the school offers? I get the feeling the parents are suggesting he goes there, but what does he want ?

Does he have a job already or is part of this plan is to find one too ?

Vocational trade schools have a specific programs that can be completed in less time than a degree program, like plumbing, automotive, welding, cosmetology, HVAC ( list of 30 ), etc so that one can enter into the work force. I guess I didn't think the trade schools were the place to go if the coursework didn't lead to a trade.

Vocational school can be kinda expensive if there is no desire in the first place to learn the trade.  There is a caution that trade school courses may not transfer into a 4-yr degree program.

BTW: The  school I looked at  in example above also has a math requirement, depending upon the pgm. 😁

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, druzy said:

Jonah is spoiled. I think they lied about him getting 14 credits in one semester. What school did he go to?

I think it's probably Central Georgia Technical College, as it's the community college closest to Forsyth - about 21 miles from Forsyth city center.

I don't recall his field of study ever being mentioned on the show, though.

CGTC does offer:

General Studies Associate Degree – designed for transfer to a four-year institution.

I remember prior to Jonah applying to college, Amber and Trent told him they planned on him going to CGTC because Trent (at the time) worked there (IIRC) which meant Jonah would be eligible for discounted tuition, and they wanted him to live at home, and they wanted to see if he'd apply himself and do well before investing a lot of money in a four-year college (where he'd have to live on campus). 

So Amber and Trent made Jonah's college decision for him and told him where he'd be going.

They've probably chosen a career for Jonah, too - but haven't told him about it yet. /s

And just to add my 2¢ to the question as to whether Jonah could have earned 14 credits in one semester - sure he could! My daughter earned 16 credits per semester each of her four years of college.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Additional info re: Jonah's college
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

because he had to driver her around because she'd gotten in trouble, she should have had to maybe take on some of his chores or something to repay him for his time.

That would have been a great solution.

It will be interesting to see how Anna does away at college.  (I don't remember for sure, but isn't she finishing up her first year?)  Will she rise to the challenge and flourish or will she flounder?  I really hope she does well.

• Love 2
On 4/18/2020 at 9:00 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

I think it's probably Central Georgia Technical College, as it's the community college closest to Forsyth - about 21 miles from Forsyth city center.

I don't recall his field of study ever being mentioned on the show, though.

CGTC does offer:

General Studies Associate Degree – designed for transfer to a four-year institution.

I remember prior to Jonah applying to college, Amber and Trent told him they planned on him going to CGTC because Trent (at the time) worked there (IIRC) which meant Jonah would be eligible for discounted tuition, and they wanted him to live at home, and they wanted to see if he'd apply himself and do well before investing a lot of money in a four-year college (where he'd have to live on campus). 

So Amber and Trent made Jonah's college decision for him and told him where he'd be going.

They've probably chosen a career for Jonah, too - but haven't told him about it yet. /s

And just to add my 2¢ to the question as to whether Jonah could have earned 14 credits in one semester - sure he could! My daughter earned 16 credits per semester each of her four years of college.

There's no doubt that anyone can earn 14 credits in a semester. I was just wondering if Jonah could 🤷‍♀️.

• Love 2

2 things.  Anna is older than Liz.  Liz got her own room because Anna and Emma wanted to share a room.

According to Trent, it's not scapegoat, it's escapegoat.  😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Season 7, Episode 4

APRIL 21, 2020

It's a Boy! 

Emma is diagnosed with a speech disorder which she must overcome in order to lead summer camp activities. Worried about her ability to lead a group, Trent and Amber take the family to an improv class to help Emma think on her feet.

If you have 5 kids and you pay $25 for a place mat, you are officially an idiot.  You're a double idiot if you don't remove said place mats when the kids are at the table making slime using glue and food coloring.

So, instead of trying to work through Louie's issues with cats and Trent, they gave him away.  I might have still been okay with them getting another dog if they had rescued one from a shelter, but it looks like they went to a breeder instead..........That sucks.

• Love 7
On 4/18/2020 at 10:18 PM, camom said:

That would have been a great solution.

It will be interesting to see how Anna does away at college.  (I don't remember for sure, but isn't she finishing up her first year?)  Will she rise to the challenge and flourish or will she flounder?  I really hope she does well.

And if Anna were to flunk out of her first year, like Jonah, does she get to come back home and have mom cater to her and make excuses for her?

Why does Elizabeth, one of five, get her own personal puppy?

• Love 4

Elizabeth was totally inappropriate at the improv class. She was prodding Emma along because she felt uncomfortable, instead of letting her sister figure it out for herself. I did not like how she wasn't letting the teacher lead and do his job. He could see that Emma was getting it, and he was helping her, but, Elizabeth kept jumping in. Irked me to no end.

• Love 5

Pulling for Emma to continue her therapy, to gain confidence in herself.

Her facial expressions, side eyed opinion of her siblings are entertaining.

You can tell there is tension between certain siblings and  a parent but Emma is like Switzerland....and that is why everyone is too quick to jump in and rescue her when she gets uncomfortable. Training the family to back off...because their help is hindering her.

Guessing the LP conference will be cancelled or postponed much to her and Lucca’s disappointment.

Late Addenum: The 2019 Conference was held in SF.

Liz is the most mainstream and she’s the proof that Amber’s/Trent’s philosophy of rearing kids is right for her. 
She must get a lot of online hate so for her thick skin and trying to be a role model for her siblings and viewers I applaud her.
More Brice.

Jonah’s academic problems can be fixed with him taking an approved online Stats class by his college to get past his 2 failed attempts.

He needs a math tutor to baby him through the course, he obviously needs help to pass Stats.

He is not the first college student to flunk a course a few times. It is up to him to find the tutor to get him over the Stats hurdle.

Anna gets a reprieve from moving out thanks to the virus. She can do online courses from the safety of her room. Hopefully she can get driving privileges. Her dry and wry points of view are more real than the chirpy upbeat cliched ones.

Alex needs to stop the babyness. Uncute.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Honey said:

If you have 5 kids and you pay $25 for a place mat, you are officially an idiot.  You're a double idiot if you don't remove said place mats when the kids are at the table making slime using glue and food coloring.

I kept wondering why they didn't put one of those cheapy, washable plastic table cloths on the table. Isn't that what you do when you are doing fun, messy projects with kids?

JMO but Emma's speech disorder issues should not have been televised. Do that off the screen, give the girl some respect. What is wrong with these parents? Are they that desperate for storylines so that Amber can keep buying $25 placemats? 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

Elizabeth was totally inappropriate at the improv class. She was prodding Emma along because she felt uncomfortable, instead of letting her sister figure it out for herself. I did not like how she wasn't letting the teacher lead and do his job. He could see that Emma was getting it, and he was helping her, but, Elizabeth kept jumping in. Irked me to no end.

I agree. They all speak for her, even when they are discussing, right next to her, how she needs to speak up more. They explain how she feels and why she does or doesn’t do things, while she stands idly by. How about- ask HER why or how she feels, etc. instead of literally talking FOR her as you explain why she needs to learn to talk for herself! And Elizabeth, no one cares if the awkward silence makes you uncomfortable. Stop reinforcing her lack of speaking by saving her. 

• Love 5

They all speak for her, even when they are discussing, right next to her, how she needs to speak up more. They explain how she feels and why she does or doesn’t do things, while she stands idly by. 

I noticed Anna speaking for Emma with the director of the camp.  She didn't even give Emma a chance to speak for herself.  They are probably all so used to doing it that they don't realize what they're doing.  It needs to stop.

I didn't get Amber making such a big deal about Alex saying they need to "make a party" for the dog when he does something good.  They all do it, but she said several times "Even Alex..."  So what?  The dog is cute, though.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Guessing the LP conference will be cancelled or postponed much to her and Lucca’s disappointment.

This footage is from last summer. The 2019 conference went on as scheduled.

8 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

If you don't have anything else to do... go to Little People of America.org website and scroll down to see a very cute picture of cast members you will recognize

The web address is lpaonline.org.

• Love 3
On 4/16/2020 at 3:33 PM, sATL said:

tough class yes... but if it's the 2nd time going over the same material...

surprising that statistics was for a 1st semester freshman and possibly only class for the math requirement - meaning maybe he should have tried something else 2nd semester.

I figure we're not getting the whole story. Yes, first year usually involves Linear Algebra, followed by Statistics, but I have never heard of a student being asked to leave the school because of failing one course (even if it's twice). His other grades had to be pretty low if the school doesn't want him to return.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Next episode is up.

Pretty much a typical episode....more reno on Casa Johnston.

Liz’s bf, Brice...man of few words, seems to be a nice young man.

He is not a camera hog, his body language tells that he is not impressed with the cameras but their presence with the production crew  are just part of the deal when hanging out with his gf’s family.

Meet Brice’s twin, Brett, who is Jonah’s fishing buddy.

Meeting Brett is selling it too much, he appears on camera.

Damn, their property is big....goes all the way down to the river.

Anna confesses to having taken a dump in the woods...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Next episode is up.

Pretty much a typical episode....more reno on Casa Johnston.

Liz’s bf, Brice...man of few words, seems to be a nice young man.

He is not a camera hog, his body language tells that he is not impressed with the cameras but their presence with the production crew  are just part of the deal when hanging out with his gf’s family.

Meet Brice’s twin, Brett, who is Jonah’s fishing buddy.

Meeting Brett is selling it too much, he appears on camera.

Damn, their property is big....goes all the way down to the river.

Anna confesses to having taken a dump in the woods...

Hold up.. a grown woman, presumably sober, ... admitted to pulling her pants down and relieving herself, #2 , no less,  in the back yard/woods?

And just what did she use (if anything) for tissue?

SMH...

I understand the need to go if/when the urge comes on suddenly..but damn, some things one need to keep to themselves..

Edited by sATL

Anna is my fave because she blurts out in her THs.

She didn't give a timeline of her taking a poo the woods....she could have been a teen.
Hopefully, she came prepared with tissue from the house.

Sometimes you have to respond to nature’s call...on the side of the road, in an alley, in the woods...mostly no.1, so Anna’s confession of a dookie must be horrifying to the gentler readers....

• Love 2

The should have gotten some more games to keep them occupied - play catch, horseshoes, badminton, volleyball.

So funny of Trent and Amber to use reverse psychology on Jonah and Anna, that they have no rules at the conference so that they act correctly. lol

So sick of Alex's whining. You're 13, grow up.

I hope these kids look back on these moments, and trips, and vacations, and are grateful, because not everyone gets those experiences growing up. My family never went anywhere, or took vacations. As I got older, I realized what I missed out on. I've made sure to travel, and take my own trips.

Nobody thought to bring a watch, so, they could tell time? lol

Elizabeth used to be my favorite kid but lately she acts so superior...

When they do the TH's I notice Elizabeth basically rolling her eyes, looking at the ceiling and being a jerk when the others talk.... She acts like they're so childish and boring that she can't be bothered to pay attention.   🙄

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

When they do the TH's I notice Elizabeth basically rolling her eyes, looking at the ceiling and being a jerk when the others talk.... She acts like they're so childish and boring that she can't be bothered to pay attention.   🙄

So true! I hate how she treats Anna. I like Anna. I kind of feel sorry for her because everyone just dismisses her. Elizabeth superiority act is not cute and gets old really fast. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I have noticed this, too. She acts very snotty and arrogant. 

• Love 3

Liz is the over achiever of the family....so she may be more insufferable than the rest.

She is the goody two shoes child, artistic, athletic, and a good student so she can carry an air of superiority about her.

Liz is the perfect child compared to Joshua who slacks in academics and work ethic.

She's obedient instead of the "wild" Anna, is confident compared to the "shy" Emma and mature compared to the "baby" Alex.

That is Liz's role in the show's story line....

• Love 1
4 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Liz is the over achiever of the family....so she may be more insufferable than the rest.

She is the goody two shoes child, artistic, athletic, and a good student so she can carry an air of superiority about her.

Liz is the perfect child compared to Joshua who slacks in academics and work ethic.

She's obedient instead of the "wild" Anna, is confident compared to the "shy" Emma and mature compared to the "baby" Alex.

That is Liz's role in the show's story line....

I think Jonah was a straight-A student until he went to college.  Or at least, a very, very good one.

Doesn't Trent realize the reason that post was in the kitchen, was because that's a load-bearing wall?

Edited by Honey
Added spoiler tags

I would be PISSED at my parents if they did to me what Trent and Amber did to Emma. To me, she is painfully shy. As a kid I was the same. If I had to do an improv class and speech lessons ON CAMERA? Fuck the two of them. Some things do not get filmed.

Also, Emma is adorable. And Anna seems somewhat mature when she’s not around her mom. She should continue to stay away. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 4

Trent is such an asshole.  He is going to force Alex to play kickball?  How can you force your kids to play and then expect them to enjoy it?  And Anna even said that Jonah didn’t go crying to Amber, and instead of apologizing for making assumptions, he growls at his kids.  Then he gives a TH with Amber that she is more permissive with the kids and lets them get out of things too easily.  Ok, you know what you have there, Trent?  A parenting problem that you need to work out with your wife.  A weak man takes it out on his kids.

Jesse the dog is so cute.  I’m not a fan of little dogs, and that’s all that seems to be on TV these days.  I’m always happy to see a big dog or a cat.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/26/2020 at 5:44 PM, woodscommaelle said:

I would be PISSED at my parents if they did to me what Trent and Amber did to Emma. To me, she is painfully shy. As a kid I was the same.

I agree and do not like the way they filmed Emma's struggles. That being said, I think they should quit answering for her whenever TLC is filming because this is not new to her. My little sister used the mumbling, or non answers, to get away from having to answer for her behaviour. She'd often get the deer in headlights look when she was called onto the carpet for bad behaviour. So I also understand Trent and Amber's frustration with Emma. They need to distance themselves from her speech 'issue' and just wait it out. If all of them stopped jumping in and just waited on Emma to answer, she'd eventually wake up and realize no one wants to jump in and save her. She's on her own. (Tough love since she doesn't not have a speech impediment.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/27/2019 at 11:25 AM, PradaKitty said:

I agree with the horrid grammar. Amber probably also says “breffuses” instead of breakfasts. Bad grammar always makes people seem dumber to me.

I gather by these many posts that people have given Jonah a pass on his behaviour and arrogance. Sadly, I not only find him more annoying this season, but I feel he needs to wake up and look in the mirror. Anything Jonah has failed at , is because of Jonah's lack of effort. Everything is "stupid" in his mind, and his parents and siblings don't know anything (unlike him, the smart one...) Well, his grammar is equally bad (perhaps even moreso) and he has never been a lot smarter than those in his house. Worst of all, his entitlement at being the oldest male, makes him insufferable and downright lazy. I need him off my screen. (And I am grateful that we don't hear Alex saying I'm hungryI every time he opens his mouth.)

• Love 6

The boys are both lazy, and are allowed to be by their parents.  But Anna, who they rarely have a kind word for, was the only one who went to gather wood for the fire.  She's a hard worker.  I'm hoping she went away to college, excels there, and never looks back.

• Love 10

New episode is up on TLC Demand...

All this inside time has made me schmaltzy, growing a funny bone of a Leisure World (Socal reference) resident so enjoyed chuckling while watching this episode.

Love em or leave em...

On 4/29/2020 at 11:37 PM, camom said:

The boys are both lazy, and are allowed to be by their parents.  But Anna, who they rarely have a kind word for, was the only one who went to gather wood for the fire.  She's a hard worker.  I'm hoping she went away to college, excels there, and never looks back.

I think she's gotten the subtle message over the years that her parents will not indulge her if she can't care for herself as an adult.  While I'm not sure she feels particularly loved by or attached to her parents, they've inadvertently done her favor because I think she'll be successful in spite of, not because of them.  She's a risk taker, seems to be maturing, and is willing to get her hands dirty.  

• Love 5