Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E02: Favorite Songs Night

• Start Topic

The show's been sitting unwatched on the DVR all week, so tonight I decided I may as well find out who was eliminated since I hadn't gotten around to watching it. I'm surprised about Redfoo, but even more surprised that despite looking at the MSN homepage on a daily basis, I hadn't been spoiled with the outcome. It used to be that there would be something about who was up for elimination or a blurb about the show at least on Tuesday morning but I never saw anything. TPTB should take note. When a large news and entertainment site feels they should keep me up to date about Miley Cyrus' love life, or let me know daily whose butt some woman named Rousey wants to kick, or that some dude left his boy band, rather than teasing me about what star was eliminated from your dancing show, you should worry about your show's future. Just sayin.

• Love 1

I know I'm late to the party.    But just a few thoughts on last week before we get to tonight's show.  I was surprised it was Redfoo who left - he did a pretty decent job the first week.  But I'm glad Charlotte got to stay at least one more week.  First because she had a great attitude, and while she had her issues with the dance, she was still fun to watch.  Second because I just really didn't want Keo to be first out two seasons in a row.  I thought Charlotte was much improved last week and hope she gets one more week because of it.

Chris was worse, I thought.  And I didn't get the comments about only having 4 days.  They all have the same amount of time, and in the past, pros have travelled with their celebs if they have other commitments.  So Chris saying he only had 4 days to prepare made no sense.  Without an explanation, I can only assume he can't count any better than he can dance.  I'm hoping he leaves tonight.

I thought Rumer did another great job.  I really liked that dance.  My extreme annoyance that Derek is back after swearing yet again he wasn't going to be on the show may be coloring my perceptions of Nastia.  I thought she made some beautiful lines and shapes, but I just wasn't blown away by it and certainly wouldn't have ranked that dance first.  Also, I call shenanigans on any song in My Jam week that calls for a rumba.  Either Nastia is just the most low-key person in the world with the energy level of a slug or that was a deliberate move to set them apart from the others who were doing upbeat dances.  Either way . . . not impressed.  Rumba is one of my least favorite dances anyway, so that doesn't help.  But on My Jam week?  Yeah . . . no.

Love that Patti did something completely unexpected with her choice.  Like others of her age before her, she doesn't really dance a lot, but what she does she seems to do well, and she seems to have a natural sense of rhythm and she just commands a stage, so she's still enjoyable to watch.  Congrats to Suzanne Somers - that was way more energetic than I expected.

I like Noah, and I appreciate what he's doing, but I just can't bring myself to vote for him because he may actually be dancing even less than Amy.  I understand why, but there will be enough people who will vote for him just for being 'brave' that I feel comfortable giving my votes to others.

Riker really surprised - I did not expect that he would have that foxtrot elegance in him.  I was annoyed with Allison's bridge choreography.  That's two weeks in a row that she's spent precious time hiding his feet, and it didn't seem necessary because it didn't look to me as if his footwork is bad.

Michael and Robert are just adorable.  Michael actually seemed a bit more comfortable last week, but I understand why this week might have been harder.

I'm not feeling Willow.  I don't dislike her, but so far she seems to just sort of blend in with the woodwork.  Her AT wasn't bad, but to me anyway it totally lacked the passion and artistry that I expect to see in an AT.  And there's something about her movement that says (to me anyway) "immature."  Which is as it should be.  But she's another one that so far I have not been able to vote for because she doesn't inspire me to.  She's good and deserves to stick around a while longer, but unless she really improves over the weeks, I don't see her as a top 4, although she may well end up there.

Anyway, my two cents' worth.  :)

About the four days to learn a dance thing - people have been saying that a LOT lately. In thinking about it, you have learning the dance Tuesday through Friday, camera blocking Sunday, dress rehearsal Sunday or Monday? Costuming fits in there somewhere. We seem to have a spare day, but I guess whatever they do Saturday they're expected to have learned the dance by then. ?? 

I've seen mixed things from people about rehearsing on Tuesdays.  Without the results shows these past few seasons, I think some people use Tuesday as an off day, or at least the celebs.  The pros probably use it to put together choreography.  I'm not sure it has to be an off day and I don't think the show can keep a couple from rehearsing, but when couples say 4 days of practice I think they generally mean that they aren't rehearsing Tuesday.  Then Sunday is camera blocking, though again, some couples still do rehearse after camera blocking is over.  It really comes down to how dedicated a celeb may be.   The show has tried to restrict rehearsal hours at times, but there is nothing they can do to stop a celeb/pro from rehearsing on their own time.  The only one that has any real limitations in terms of hours is Willow, for obvious age reasons.

Charlotte said she couldn't help herself and went online to read what people were saying about her.  That's similar to secretly listening to a group of people gossiping about you.  About you and not To you.  It's gossiping, not bullying.

• Love 1

Charlotte said she couldn't help herself and went online to read what people were saying about her. That's similar to secretly listening to a group of people gossiping about you. About you and not To you. It's gossiping, not bullying.

Yeah it's passive-aggressive bully Julianne who called it that though. Charlotte just talked about how it made her feel bad like when she was bullied growing up.

I've seen mixed things from people about rehearsing on Tuesdays.  Without the results shows these past few seasons, I think some people use Tuesday as an off day, or at least the celebs.

I'd be surprised if there was no rehearsing on Tuesdays. I think the whole four days of rehearsal thing is because Monday is obviously not counted because that's show day, then Tuesday - Friday is the core of rehearsals that includes nailing down the choreography, the celebrity learning it and then perfecting it. Saturday probably still includes rehearsals but I think camera blocking starts on Saturday and there is another on Sunday. 

So it's not that they don't rehearse on these days, I just think they're counting the days where everything is being nailed down. Sure things can happen that will maybe cause a change or two in the choreography but typically at that point the pairings have the dance and it's matter of the celebrity fine tuning and trying to perfect it. 

Charlotte said she couldn't help herself and went online to read what people were saying about her.  That's similar to secretly listening to a group of people gossiping about you.  About you and not To you.  It's gossiping, not bullying.

If she has twitter or instagram accounts, I can guarantee that people posted nasty comments directly to her.

OK -  people put up nasty comments.   But isn't it better to IGNORE it, than to call attention to the mean comments?  

But, she needs to watch herself on TV, because it was pretty obvious what prompted people to comment.  Keep calling attention to you breasts, then whine about how you're a "pretty blonde"  who has been bullied because you have big boobs and are so damn pretty, and you will get people to react with hostility.  

You can't have it both ways.  If your boobs are your one asset that brought you fame and fortune, then that is a choice you made.  If you appear on TV holding cantaloupes in front of your boobs, making a joke that you are naked, then people watching the show (some with children) just might see the visual joke as disgusting and comment on it.  

Cyber-bullying is a different issue, and never should have been brought up.   When you appear on a tv competition, where viewers are supposed to vote on your performance, you have to accept that you will be criticized by those viewers.