Type keyword(s) to search

Top Gear (UK) - General Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I know that they have had people in the past, first dude this season had never driven before, but they seem to discuss that. This time they didn't. I get it, it is not something Keifer would want to discuss, but I was curious.

For the most part, it wasn't a stellar episode, but as soon as they found the cows, my sides were splitting for the remainder of the episode. There's just something about their turns of phrase that absolutely slay me. Nearly every line was just hilarious.

"Spell name of place."

"Some cows"

"Sitrep: We found four cows and... we lost them."

"I'm in the middle. I've been herded by the cows, it's all gone wrong."

"We've been outwitted by cows."

"Okay, they're charging me. This is unexpected.... That's bull's menacing me!"

And then there was actually some educational value, because I had no clue just how anyone could herd that many cows over that huge an expanse. They use helicopters. Huh.

• Love 1

OK, I nearly peed my pants laughing with the Ambulances. Either it was a great episode or the beer I had after an hour long tantrum with the potty training toddler really got me drunk. It could very well be the second except that my sober husband was laughing as hard as I was.

I am going to have to spend time each episode looking for whatever Chile reference is included in the episode, this week it was the coffee mugs they were drinking from in the news section.

I love that James tried to claim that his patient got better and took off and was probably at a bar. I am not certain what he did in order to deserve -1000 points but I am guessing they decided to go in that direction after his lap took 12 minutes. I laughed my ass off when Jeremy and James had their little immigration discussion and Jeremy's comment that all of the Producers faces just fell.

But it was Richard's launching his patient through the window that made the episode so wonderful. That was simply beautiful.

I love when they go to fix some broken system. Stig driving the little whatever with a gurney attached to the back, Jeremy trying to perform any medical procedure in the back of a Porsche, the projectile vomiting from the dummy. I don't know who has a better job, James, Jeremy, and Richard or the folks who get to develop the tests and actually suggest the projectile vomit....

• Love 2

I laughed my ass off at this episode, too! I had to pause the dvr when James' ambuhearse (hearsebulance?) door took so long to close and then promptly dropped back down when the Stig gunned it, shattering the back window and causing Richard and Jeremy to collapse in laughter. Richard's van catching on fire every time he used the brakes also did me in.

It's been a really good season so far!

• Love 2

Richard performing the medical procedures was hilarious. I like it when the guys are genuinely caught off guard, and I really don't think he expected the vomit. And to end up shouting "stop being sick, you idiot!" at a dummy is just desperate behaviour.

I do love the episodes where they each get their own crappy vehicle and compete in silly tests. Whether it's a crappy production car or a crappy car they've made, it's always great fun.

• Love 1

That was a really fun ambulance challenge. I laughed more than a couple times. I really liked the Thunder Cats skit too. It really has been a good season so far.

I don't even drive, but I envy the guys. They make everything look so fun.

That was a really fun ambulance challenge. I laughed more than a couple times. I really liked the Thunder Cats skit too. It really has been a good season so far.

I think you mean Thunderbirds. (chuckle) James did a great job of miming Supermarionation.

Normally I really don't care for episodes like these but there were enough unscripted reactions from the guys and decently funny setups that even I laughed a bit.

I think they could have mentioned that James was actually channelling old school ambulances from the 1960s, which I think were eventually abandoned because emergency personnel couldn't stand up during trips.

I am going to have to spend time each episode looking for whatever Chile reference is included in the episode, this week it was the coffee mugs they were drinking from in the news section.

The previous week was a picture of a Chilean soccer player on the table.

Regarding the Kiefer interview, I haven't seen any recaps from the live audience but Top Gear will often edit interviews down quite a bit for time.

• Love 1

I think you mean Thunderbirds. (chuckle) James did a great job of miming Supermarionation.

Yes and yes. Thundercats is something from my own childhood. hehe.

Episode 22x04: Jeremy made a joke about Canada. hehe.

Very car episode and I was very interested in that BMW M3 vs I3 review. I think the I3 is an interesting concept; I really like BMWs generally so it's great that they are going in that direction. I will admit the Wayne Rooney thing put me off, but really 31 miles to the gallon is quite weak. Not to say I will buy an I3 ever, but hey, this is a car show so I can dream.

Great - I'm looking forward to a more car-centric episode. I'm one of those regular viewers who isn't a motorhead but will geek out over the engineering and cinematic reviews. Plus the show still offers some of the best travelogues around. The first ever Top Gear episode I watched was back in season 7 with the three car review on the Isle of Man. It is still one of my favorites ever.

I may not be a huge fan of the scripted hijinks episodes but I would love to see more of the whimsical let's-see-what-happens bits from the early seasons; like when they taught grandmothers to do handbrake turns or when they had the hosts' mothers review some sensible cars. I still laugh at the moment James May's eyes popped out when his mom started talking about low profile tires.

• Love 2

Granted, I have a ridiculous love of Will Smith and always find him charming, but I enjoyed him interacting with his co-star (who I'm not familiar with) on the couch with Jeremy. The Land Rover montage was pretty cool too.

Granted, I have a ridiculous love of Will Smith and always find him charming, but I enjoyed him interacting with his co-star (who I'm not familiar with) on the couch with Jeremy. The Land Rover montage was pretty cool too.

I was worried, when Jeremy announced Will Smith. Because even though I like the guy, he has such an overpowering personality that I was expecting him to completely overshadow Margot Robbie (who is utterly stunning, by the way). But he didn't, and they seemed to have a nice rapport. Loved that she was quicker than him, too.

Other than that, I wasn't wild about this episode. I generally don't care about their supercar track tests, other than for the witty one-liners they drop into them. Who cares whether the SLS replacement is as good as the SLS or not? I can't afford either. I prefer the episodes where they each buy something crappy and work their way through daft challenges.

The BMW i8 is a lovely looking car, and I really like the idea of these powerful hybrids. But as Jeremy said, they're on the right track but not quite there yet. 31 miles to the gallon is worse than my 2ltr Mazda 3 does.

I like the reverence Richard has for the old Landrover, and I really enjoyed the film he did about it that was referenced in this episode. It's a hell of a machine. But the stunt seemed more than a little pointless.

As long as Will Smith doesn't talk about the douchestastic children he and Jada have raised and quote their "wisdom," he gives a charming interview and I thought he was good in responding to Jeremy critiquing the car lyrics in his songs.

• Love 1

S22E06: I really loved this episode. I laughed a lot which makes me feel like a sadist because a lot of it was at Richard suffering on the mountain top. The whole challenge was great for me because of that and the fact it was set in Canada. I liked their Canadian Tire trip and just the breezy way they took their time. I'm not a fan of pickup trucks either, but both of them especially the Ford looked cinematic going up that mountain.

Gillian Anderson's interview was really cute too.

• Love 1

I love that Richard devolves almost immediately into long streams of cursing whenever he's challenged physically (see also the bike challenge through London). I sympathized with him here, though, it looked hellishly cold on that mountain.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm happy for Gillian Anderson that she finally got a chance to do SIARPC. I remember her mentioning to Jay Leno years ago that she wanted to do it and it's great that they finally figured out the taping logistics. I think she was invited during the Lacetti days but was pregnant.

It's always great when the guest is genuinely a fan of the show and isn't there on a pre-planned promotion tour.

Edited by halopub
  • Love 2

Gillian Anderson was a delight. As I've said, I usually don't care about the celebrity sections (I just skipped the one last week with that singer. Don't know who he is, and don't care), but she was great. Charming, funny, clearly having a great time. And even hotter now than she was two decades ago. How is that possible?

Richard up the mountain was amusing, especially when he made his own Jeremy and James figures to keep him company. I know a lot of Top Gear is faked, but I do believe he was up there for days, not knowing when or how they'd arrive to rescue him. Not sure he was in as dire straights as he claimed, in regards to food and shelter, though.

• Love 1

It appears they only gave him enough supplies for a couple of days.  He was there for four, by the end of it.  He had a couple of other folks with him, but I don't think they were any better off (camera, sound, etc.).

Jeremy has been suspended for an undisclosed infraction or 'fracas' and they will not be taping an episode this week.

I thought there was a lot to enjoy this past episode. There was cinematic footage of some interesting cars and James got to relate to a Top Gear host in his nerdy, technical way.

I wonder about the alternating cuts of Tanner looking bug-eyed versus focused while he and James trained around the track. Maybe it was just because they were a bit cartoonish, but they seem like they were creatively stitched into the footage. I also think this would have been a good opportunity to bring in Adam and Rutledge as spotters for James. Either they would have goofed off like Jeremy and Richard, or they could have really rooted against Tanner by being great spotters for James.

I didn't love how they filmed James' heats. It didn't really give me a sense of what he's learned over the years and whether he was good, but just not up to the pros. I remember when he learned how to flick from Mika Hakkinen and I bet he was a better racer than how they made him out to be.

Edited to add: Fixed some links, plus here's a behind-the-scenes video from Gillian Anderson's SIARPC.

Edited by halopub

It was definitely a good episode. I even enjoyed the SIARPC whose name I only recognized because I had just looked up the cast of the new Mad Max film yesterday morning, when I was telling a co-worker about the trailer I saw at the theater on Sunday. He was very fun (loved his story about learning to knit!) and ended up being a good driver after getting in lots of practice laps.

We skipped past the SIARPC because I have no clue who he is nor do I care. I wish they had done more with the James/Tanner stuff then the test driving of the other cars. I really like that type of stuff and find the endless discussion of the specifics for some insanely priced car boring. If my husband had not been watching, I would have fast forwarded through that stuff. I get that that is what the show is about but I prefer the races, learning new stuff, building their own vehicles, and News far more then I do the reviews of cars that I don't have a chance in hell of affording.

I strongly suspect that Jeremy thinks that he brings in enough money that he can get away with pretty much anything. He seems to get away with what he wants and they keep making shows because it makes the parent company a ton of money. I wish they would shot the show this week but without Jeremy. I don't think they can really hurt him in the pocketbook because he has already made a ton of cash. Honestly, they have created a monster and I don't think that they can tame him. The only apology that I have ever really bought from Jeremy was the one he made after the Burma thing. The rest, from Richard or Jeremy, have been pretty much useless and then mocked afterwards by the three of them.

ETA: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/11/europe/bbc-jeremy-clarkson/index.html Apparently, he hit a producer

Edited by ProfCrash

On the one hand, no one should ever hit a co-worker (and I've had many I'd like to have smacked over the years, but didn't because 1) it's not right and 2) I'm an adult). On the other hand, how does the BBC think it's punishing Clarkson by depriving the fans of a new show? I don't get that move by the BBC at all.

I would be more than happy to see the back of Clarkson. A little of him goes a long way. There's one benefit he performs: he makes the trope of 'ugly American' look good by comparison to his much uglier Englishman. I have been offended on behalf of many other countries due to his rude, condescending remarks.  I am a total anti-conspiracy theorist, but you will never, never convince me that the H982 FKL license plate was not deliberate, because it is exactly the kind of thing he'd do, and the idea that it was coincidental and no one noticed it until the cars got to Argentina boggles the mind.

The massive, worldwide appeal of TG also amazes me. I think it's best years are past. I enjoy the challenges, but I have no interest in watching a bunch of guys continually test drive cars that only a small fraction of people can afford. Maybe it's a guy thing.

• Love 1

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31832698

According to the BBC article, they might not air the remaining three shows. ugh

Quilt Fairy, I love the challenges but fast forward through the test drives and SIARPC segments. I love the three boys love and joy of cars. It is fun listening to them as they jab at each other and see how much they enjoy cars. I wish there was a way to stop the political talk because they do make remarks that I find offensive. It is pretty rare that it happens but even the one time a season is a bit much. I am not sure how well the show does without Jeremy because most of the show is driven by the interaction of the three presenters.

The US version is pretty much unwatchable because of Adam. He just annoys me. I don't know why but he does. I like Tanner and Rutledge but Adam is nails on a chalk board for me.

• Love 1

When I heard about this, I hoped against hope it was a US Top Gear presenter, even though I asked, "What did Clarkson say, now?" Unfortunately, he let his fist do the talking. Reading the comments on some sites saying how they should fire Jeremy, Top Gear is such a cash cow for the BBC, it would be really hard to just get rid of him while continuing the show and messing with the chemistry of the hosts.

On the other hand, how does the BBC think it's punishing Clarkson by depriving the fans of a new show? I don't get that move by the BBC at all.

But how would airing the shows and proceeding with life as usual (as the BBC has usually done with Clarkson's issues) punish Clarkson either? It's only because the shows are not being shown that this is getting the publicity it is, and his behavior is getting this attention. In a way it's like having a small child acting up during a family outing--you may have to cancel everyone's day out, and punish the whole family, but you can't let the kid get away with being a monster every time you go out of the house.

Clarkson can be suspended for three show in the next series. No pay and no air time. That is punishment. How does not airing episodes that have already been paid for punish Clarkson? All the BBC is doing is not recouping the costs of those episodes by not airing them.

• Love 3

I agree with ProfCrash. Either air the remaining three shows now and suspend Clarkson for those or suspend him in the next season. Yanking the show off of the air now punishes the fans, not Clarkson. 

I'm a grownup. I may be disappointed if a show I want to see doesn't air, but I don't feel 'punished'. If the BBC goes ahead and airs the remaining shows, it makes it appear as if they're not taking the offense seriously. And after reading the article ProfCrash linked to, I wonder what it would take for the BBC to kick Clarkson to the curb. The man can be acerbic and funny, but he is also a mean-spirited petulant racist. The BBC can retain it's integrity or it can continue to cash in on Clarkson's popularity, but it can't do both.

U.S. Top Gear has grown on me, especially after they dropped the audience portion, although the show challenges seem to be repeating themselves after only a couple of seasons. I do love Tanner Foust, aka 'Tiny Dancer'. (He probably hates that nickname.)

• Love 3

At last writing, Time Magazine reported that the petition to restore Clarkson to the show had over 700,000 signatures.  He's also best buddies with the Prime Minister.  And let's face it - the BBC gets its license to broadcast from the government.  If the PM wanted to have a say in this, he could simply drop the hint that the Beeb's license might be in jeopardy.

I concur with the others above who say that pulling the episodes doesn't punish anyone but the faithful viewers.  

I wonder if the broadcasts, or lack of them, affect the other two guys' pay as well.  They didn't do anything wrong, but they appear to be losing big time here too.  I'm not sure how they speak to each other after this.

BTW, the argument started with Clarkson expecting a steak after a shoot and being offered only soup and a cold cut plate.  The whole thing seems stupid.  

The three boys' contracts are up for renewal after this season, so even if Jeremy does come back, the question is, for how long?  And I go back to my earlier point about the other two - what about them?

If the PM wanted to have a say in this, he could simply drop the hint that the Beeb's license might be in jeopardy.

There is literally no way in hell that Cameron would ever make that threat over such in issue at any time but especially not in the last months of a tight election.

My DVR picked it up, but we watched it live anyway.  When they do these, I very much enjoy seeing where they are.  But it was especially funny with the Stig, which I absolutely refuse to spoil for anyone.

Since the BBC kept showing it in the previews and the bumpers before it happened you don't have to worry about spoilng it for anyone who watches the show.

I was surprised that there was a new episode and wondered if I was wrong and we were more than one week behind, I also wondered if this was actually new and I just hadn't seen it before.

It wasn't a repeat. I found this on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Gear-Perfect-Road-Trip/dp/B00MJYZ8DY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414415496&sr=8-1&keywords=top+gear+the+perfect+road+trip+2

The DVD was released on 17 Nov 2014 and it says "Never seen on TV"

So it looks like it was not meant to air as a part of a season but was an extra that was being sold as a DVD. I remember seeing the first Perfect Road Trip because I remember the rally car thing and Jeremy getting pulled over but I didn't remember them losing their licenses. The Wikipedia list of episodes does not list the Perfect Road Trip as titles for this seasons episodes.

So I think it was filler that is meant to give people something new while not showing the episodes from Season 22.

Wow, I haven't been paying attention to Top Gear and it's news lately.  I mean Clarkson is CONSTANTLY in trouble, but this is a step beyond, isn't it?

As slimy as Clarkson is, I wonder if the UK show is viable without him.  He's too much the face of the show.  The other two could be gone for a few episodes and the formula would feel weakened, but not unworkable, but you can't really do the reverse and do it without Clarkson (that's why the international versions with other casts are at best pale imitations).  

As for episodes in the can?  It does seem cowardly of the BBC to not air them, but if they hope this all blows over maybe they're just holding them to tack onto the next series.  Or sell them as a DVD apart from any particular series/season (a way to squeeze money out of the situation).

Wow, I haven't been paying attention to Top Gear and it's news lately.  I mean Clarkson is CONSTANTLY in trouble, but this is a step beyond, isn't it?

As slimy as Clarkson is, I wonder if the UK show is viable without him.  He's too much the face of the show.  The other two could be gone for a few episodes and the formula would feel weakened, but not unworkable, but you can't really do the reverse and do it without Clarkson (that's why the international versions with other casts are at best pale imitations).  

As for episodes in the can?  It does seem cowardly of the BBC to not air them, but if they hope this all blows over maybe they're just holding them to tack onto the next series.  Or sell them as a DVD apart from any particular series/season (a way to squeeze money out of the situation).

A big reason why I have watched this show for years is the dynamic between the three hosts. I don't watch or want any of the other versions of the show. This show made me like cars more because the hosts are so engaging about it. Richard is probably my least favourite of the hosts, but if you watch the first seasons without him, it's a bit of a drag. I've never encountered such a perfect marriage of co-hosting between these three. Their chemistry and comic timing is wonderful. Losing Clarkson will change it considerably. I've also read that all the host contracts are up next month; I doubt May or Hammond would leave, but this may change their negotiation tactics.

• Love 5

I wouldn't describe Jeremy as slimy. I don't agree with him politically but I don't that does not make him slimy.

Okay, let's forget slimy and use "bully", "lout" and "prick" instead.

Which at times is quite fun to watch, admittedly.  In a strange way the show depends on it.  But those qualities seem to leak into his outside life as well, and they're not so entertaining there.

His politics do fit into the picture as well. but it's certainly more than that.  A lot of people are Anglo-centric and opinionated.  Most of them don't get in trouble with the public as often as Jeremy Clarkson.

CNN Breaking News

"Top Gear" host Jeremy Clarkson's contract will not be renewed, the BBC said after an internal investigation into what it earlier called a "fracas" with a producer.

"Top Gear" was named as the world's most widely watched factual program in the Guinness World Records 2013 Edition book, with an estimated 350 million global viewers. The show is sold to 214 territories worldwide.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/25/world/uk-bbc-jeremy-clarkson/index.html

Looks like the end of the series (in the American sense).  I wonder if BBC is going to try and keep it running with a new series of hosts.  The sad part is I just started watching this on BBC America a few months ago.

Edited by Matt K

Chris Evans being sought as a replacement? Well that would guarantee I never watch Top Gear again. Can't stand that smug little prick. And I really hope that both May and Hammond quit as well.

It's a format that won't work without any one of the three presenters, and it would just be embarrassing for the BBC to try.

• Love 3

Chris Evans being sought as a replacement? Well that would guarantee I never watch Top Gear again. Can't stand that smug little prick. And I really hope that both May and Hammond quit as well.

It's a format that won't work without any one of the three presenters, and it would just be embarrassing for the BBC to try.

People always say that when a popular character leaves a show. And yet somehow, shows continue, and are still successful.

I look forward to seeing who the replacement is before I judge. They might get someone fantastic.

People always say that when a popular character leaves a show. And yet somehow, shows continue, and are still successful.

I look forward to seeing who the replacement is before I judge. They might get someone fantastic.

You may not be familiar with Chris Evans, then. He is not fantastic in any way, shape or form. He never has been. His idea of personality is just shouting in his tremulous voice, to try and get noticed. And given that both May and Hammond have dropped hints that they may not continue? Yeah, good luck with that, BBC.

Trying to replace one of the presenters just seems like the BBC are missing the point about why people watch the show in the first place. No one who is an avid car enthusiast is going to list Top Gear as informative or educational, because it's barely about the cars at all. It's about these three men and their love (and hate) of cars.

We shall see what happens but there was no way to keep Clarkson. He physically and verbally abused a person. He had to be separated from the conflict. That is simply unacceptable behavior and Clarkson should know it. He is used to getting away with all of his crap and probably figured that he would get away with it again. Perhaps he will learn that if he wants a hot meal and it is not served by catering he can go to a restaurant or order take out instead of hitting someone.

• Love 1

As much as I enjoy the current team there is no way Jeremy could stay on. Verbal and physical abuse is not acceptable. Especially in light of the fact that the BBC told him he had used his last get out of jail free card. It is like he felt invincible. 

• Love 1