Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E10: All About Jessa

I think Bin is the opposite of Boob: good-looking, athletic, well-built. He's not the brightest bulb, but he's easy on th eyes. Michelle probably thinks she settled for Boob whereas Bin is the type of guy she would have been genuinely attracted to.

Agree. One of THEE biggest mysteries about the Duggars - to me - is how these two prizes ended up together in the first place. Hot, bouncy, popular young cheerleader - and Howdy Doody, captain of the AV squad. What's wrong with this picture? We know what he saw in her, but I honestly don't think Me-chelle was swept off her teenage feet by Boob's stalwart character and godly demeanor at that point. It's a quandary...

• Love 5
More so than any episode in recent memory, this one really drew attention to the fact that Michelle does so little actual work for her family.  Grandma does 70 loads (!!!) of laundry per week.  Jessa rules in the "classroom."  Jinger, Jessa, and Jana team up in the kitchen.  Jessa handles packing for family trips.  Jana raises the kids.  The list goes on.  I was appalled when Michelle said, "I don't know who will take over for Jessa when she leaves, but they have big shoes to fill."  Damn, she has absolutely no shame.  I can never decide if I'm more pissed that Grandma is spending her golden years washing underwear or Jana is spending her precious early 20's doing . . .  just about everything else.

Michelle is to the point where I just don't want to see her on my screen. She's not even worth snarking over and it's all for the reasons above. I literally HATE that her mother-in-law and older daughters (Jana, especially) do things that she's perfectly capable of doing herself.  I see Joy Anna and think that as her older sisters escape, she'll be taking on the lion's share of bullshit. She's Jana Junior. They'll let Jinger get married, because she's more outspoken and has a possible rebellious streak. but Jana and Joy are quiet. They do what they're ordered to do. And after Joy, there are six boys in a row. No way she escapes. Fuck you, Michelle. 

• Love 13

I noticed that Ben commented on meeting the Duggars for the first time:

"I knew about the Duggars but I never thought I'd get to meet them."

I guess what Ben meant was that like most people in Arkansas, he’d heard of the Duggars, but never really expected to meet them.  According to a blog on TLC, the families first met in passing when the Duggars visited the Seewalds’ congregation in Hot Spring.   While in Little Rock for an event, the Seewalds visited the Duggars’ church.  After the service, Jim Bob invited them to continue the fellowship at the Duggars’ place and the rest is history.

Didn't look like Jessa ever did much actual "tutoring." All I saw was her nagging the kids to do their work on the computers, and then checking to make sure it was done and everyone "passed."

I noticed that she said something about her sibs doing their schoolwork "good", not "well".   Geeeeezzz

• Love 7

How can MEchelle be expected to do the cooking, cleaning & home fooling? Remember in a previous episode she told us she is the SCHEDULER of the Family.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 5

MEchelle says that Bin is very articulate (which he isn't), so that makes him an artist. That is not what that word means. Someone needs to lay off the bankruptcy law and learn some fucking English.

She's also said things like, the doctor "contributed" Josie's medical problems to the fact that she's a preemie. Honestly, I don't think anyone in this family knows the meaning of articulate (with the exception of maybe Josiah?). They always talk without really saying anything.

Didn't look like Jessa ever did much actual "tutoring." All I saw was her nagging the kids to do their work on the computers, and then checking to make sure it was done and everyone "passed."

And yet it's still more than Michelle ever does.

• Love 2

"She's also said things like, the doctor "contributed" Josie's medical problems to the fact that she's a preemie. Honestly, I don't think anyone in this family knows the meaning of articulate (with the exception of maybe Josiah?). They always talk without really saying anything."

I can understand that the kids don't know what things mean, since they have had little or no real teaching. MEchelle, on the other hand, went to a regular school. I guess she was too busy defrauding the male students to soak in any book-learnin'.

• Love 1

She doesn't cook

I saw her cook an egg once.

Once. One egg. And I've been watching since since "14 Kids and Pregnant Again," and I believe Josh was about 15 then. So that's, what, 11 years?  One egg in 11 years. 

• Love 6

I sometimes think Jim Bob sees Michelle as his reward for being a good boy, while Michelle sees Jim Bob as her punishment for whatever perceived sins she committed.  I know it's weird but it's just a feeling I get watching their scenes together.

• Love 18

I see Joy Anna and think that as her older sisters escape, she'll be taking on the lion's share of bullshit. She's Jana Junior. They'll let Jinger get married, because she's more outspoken and has a possible rebellious streak. but Jana and Joy are quiet. They do what they're ordered to do. And after Joy, there are six boys in a row. No way she escapes.

I'm kind of thinking Jill & Derick are looking at Joy to set up with Derick's brother, Dan. Just kidding, that kid's probably been around the block a few times before getting baptized and JB wouldn't be cool with giving one of his daughters away to some guy thats already given pieces of his heart away.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 2

Yes! I was thinking the exact same thing. I wonder if Bin reminds her of Boob as a young man? I would imagine Boob was just as intelligent and articulate. :)

The thought of sleeping with either one of them makes me lose my will to live.

• Love 9

I sometimes think Jim Bob sees Michelle as his reward for being a good boy, while Michelle sees Jim Bob as her punishment for whatever perceived sins she committed. I know it's weird but it's just a feeling I get watching their scenes together.

. Wow perfect!

How can MEchelle be expected to do the cooking, cleaning & home fooling? Remember in a previous episode she told us she is the SCHEDULER of the Family.

Let's face it, I'd put money on the fact J-Chelle and Jim Boob believe they are the "CEO's" of the family. They're in a supervisory capacity. Allegedly.

And again, I would love to know what they do all day long. Considering Jim Boob's advanced age and lack of conditioning, one thing's for sure -- there's little to nothing happening in that bedroom and there hasn't been for a while.

• Love 2

I'm kind of thinking Jill & Derick are looking at Joy to set up with Derick's brother, Dan. Just kidding, that kid's probably been around the block a few times before getting baptized and JB wouldn't be cool with giving one of his daughters away to some guy thats already given pieces of his heart away.

And penis.  Dan has definitely given away parts of his penis.

• Love 10

I thought this episode Clearly showed Mom and Pops have their favorites.  Pops prefers his sweet, compliant Jilly Muffin while Mom prefers spirited and spunky Jessa Blessa.  I wonder how it applies to the other 17?

I'm sure JB and MeChelle will think of cute nicknames for the younger ones if they ever spend any significant amount of time with them.  Which they won't, ever. Maybe the older "buddies" have nicknames for the younger ones, and the parents can just pretend that they came up with them on their own when it becomes necessary to describe them to the cameras.

• Love 1

Truthtalk, I wonder the same about Bin and team sports. When he was throwing the ball all his passes were spot-on. He looked like a kid who played competitively, not just for fun.

Ben may have played pick up games with his friends but I don't think competitively.  Plus the editing may have not shown missed passes.  I think DimBoob has a good throwing arm though.

Edited by abseedee

If he'd played competitively, then the score shouldn't have been so lopsided. I mean, JimBob intercepted one of his passes!

But I do believe that both Derick and Ben really enjoy sports, which will introduce a different dynamic into the household.

• Love 1

I doubt Ben played HS football, but he is athletic and seems to have guy friends (judging from the wedding party); chances are he was one of those guys who played pick up basketball or football after school daily or many times a week -- which makes you a competent enough QB to be able to handle a family game.

When Michelle looks at Ben, I think she sees the type of guy she thinks she should have ended up with -- hot; good body; athlete. When she sees Derick, she sees who she did end up with -- she assumes Derick is a dork probably just based on his interest in book learning and a serious subject like accounting. You can see she doesn't give Derick the time of day -- and I'm sure he prefers it. In re-watching the engagement episode, when they come out of that church engaged, after a few other hugs are exchanged -- Michelle goes into to hug Ben and you can tell he's surprised. She then stands next to him and touches his back and rubs his shoulders a few times. His own parents didn't do that. She could well be thinking -- damn how come I'm not 30 yrs younger!

• Love 2

I agree. And it's good to see the kids spending time outdoors. I hope we see more of that. If that's what Ben and Derick bring to the family, then good for them. I liked last week's episode where we saw Ben working out Jessa, Joy and Jason racing and pushing the truck.

Now, if the could stay away from the cat...

• Love 2

When Bin first started coming around, he was clearly more into Jessa than she was into him. Did anyone else perceive it that way? And then something clearly changed ... but what? By the time he moved in, she certainly wanted to get in his shorts.

• Love 4

I haven't watched yet, I've been watching this season on demand on Saturday morning before I start my day, but did she really say that? If so, it's all sorts of awesome. Go on Jessa, embrace that inner bitch of yours. I love it. 

She's the only Duggar whose spirit has not been completely broken. Sometimes she annoys me, But I'm glad she still has some fight in her.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 1

I think Jessa is one of the ones who is slow to warm up -- and likely hasn't been planning her wedding and subsequent pregnancy in her head since age 5 like Jill likely did. So when Ben first came around, she was likely thinking -- who is this 19 yr old and what can he possibly do for me. I don't know who came first Ben or Derick, but it's also likely that she wasn't enthused by an uneducated 19 yr old boy with no career, when her sister was with a 25 yr old with a corporate job. But as she spent more time with him, she was probably thrilled that she could be cold to him and he'd STILL worship the ground she walked on . . . I think there were scenes early on where he'd walk into the house and try to talk and she'd barely say 2 words. So after she played "hard to get" for a while and he still came running back for more, she probably realized -- hmm this could work, I could wear the pants (even if she couldn't articulate it, I bet she liked feeling in control). It didn't hurt that he's hot and she (and he) have hormones running wild since they've never even gotten to peck a boyfriend/girlfriend on the cheek. So the combo of hot boy chasing her, who she'd get to sleep with soon, and who was her ticket out the door -- once all of that clicked in her head, she was all about that relationship.

• Love 1

If I had to guess, I'd say (and I know this word is totally corrupted, but I mean it) that he really encouraged her. I think Jessa probably is contrary by nature (Jim Bob's "strong personality") and when she pulled that on him, he would say, "no, I think deep down you probably really do think/feel X." Unlike everyone else in her life who had tried to correct her.

He seems close to his mother, and he seems to like his own sisters so girls aren't mysterious to him. He seems like a good listener. I think he listened to her. And he heard her. And he saw through her "tough" shell.

And she melted.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 3

Ben and Derick both bring a love for sports/fitness, which that family desperately needs. Before Derick came around, I feel like we only ever saw 1-2 pics ever on Josh's IG of the family going to a came. With Derick, it seems like a regular occurrence to go to Arkansas basketball or football games and they always seem to bring a few siblings with them. Honestly he's probably shocked by how repressed this family is, so it's probably "comfortable" for him that even though they didn't really watch sports before, they are allowed/able to do it now that he suggests it -- it's one thing for him that has stayed "constant" in his life.

• Love 1

That episode showed that Josiah is cut from a different cloth than all the other loser guys in that family. After the courtship announcement, Josiah was the only guy who went up to Ben, gave him a hug and a sincere "welcome to the family." Contrast that with JD saying that when Ben first started coming around "I was giving him the cold shoulder bc he was flirting with MY sister," but then once we got him out working on clearing some brush, I decided he was fine; um -- clearing brush demonstrates nothing about how a guy will treat your sister. And is JD so dumb that he doesn't realize that one of these days, he's going to be the guy coming around another fundie household in order to get with a girl there, and life will be a whole lot more pleasant if the brothers in that house treat him with some basic respect, even if they don't want to make him their best buddy!?

• Love 4

That episode showed that Josiah is cut from a different cloth than all the other loser guys in that family. After the courtship announcement, Josiah was the only guy who went up to Ben, gave him a hug and a sincere "welcome to the family." Contrast that with JD saying that when Ben first started coming around "I was giving him the cold shoulder bc he was flirting with MY sister," but then once we got him out working on clearing some brush, I decided he was fine; um -- clearing brush demonstrates nothing about how a guy will treat your sister. And is JD so dumb that he doesn't realize that one of these days, he's going to be the guy coming around another fundie household in order to get with a girl there, and life will be a whole lot more pleasant if the brothers in that house treat him with some basic respect, even if they don't want to make him their best buddy!?

It grosses me out how JD acted like he owns Jessa. Have we ever seen JD and Jessa interact with each other? They don't seem close at all. JD, the slack jawed yokel just wanted an excuse to be dick. He's pissed because he knows he's not getting laid anytime soon.

This family is so emotionally incestuous.

• Love 7

I doubt Ben played HS football, but he is athletic and seems to have guy friends (judging from the wedding party); chances are he was one of those guys who played pick up basketball or football after school daily or many times a week -- which makes you a competent enough QB to be able to handle a family game.

When Michelle looks at Ben, I think she sees the type of guy she thinks she should have ended up with -- hot; good body; athlete. When she sees Derick, she sees who she did end up with -- she assumes Derick is a dork probably just based on his interest in book learning and a serious subject like accounting. You can see she doesn't give Derick the time of day -- and I'm sure he prefers it. In re-watching the engagement episode, when they come out of that church engaged, after a few other hugs are exchanged -- Michelle goes into to hug Ben and you can tell he's surprised. She then stands next to him and touches his back and rubs his shoulders a few times. His own parents didn't do that. She could well be thinking -- damn how come I'm not 30 yrs younger!

Also, Michelle likely had cheerleader friends who snagged good looking,fit guys like Ben. Yet she's stuck with a doofus like Jim Blob.

I sometimes think Jim Bob sees Michelle as his reward for being a good boy, while Michelle sees Jim Bob as her punishment for whatever perceived sins she committed. I know it's weird but it's just a feeling I get watching their scenes together.

I think this post wins for most insightful post of the day!

• Love 3

I loved how Guinn pointed out that they didn't need to set courting rules, that Ben could make wise decisions on his own.

While I completely agree with the sentiment... the boy got married at 19 without an education, a job or a means of support so I might actually question his ability to make wise decisions on his own. 

However... the solution to that is not setting courting rules.

• Love 10

Well, I married at twenty, having not completed my college education, extremely poor health, and no means of support (including refusing to go on SSI) to a 20 year old who did have a college degree, but no job, so I can't fault Jessa and Ben TOO much! :)

But we didn't have courting rules. And no honeymoon baby.

I see MEchelle as a Kris Kardashian- someone who controls her kids & their media exposure. I'm sure she spends her days with TLC, coming up with plot lines. And scheduling Jessa & Bin appearances, & in the past, Today show appearances & book tours.

I'm sure very little time is spent with her own kids.

My husband never watches this show, but there was nothing on tonight and we watched this episode which I had recorded (All About Jessa).  About half way through he turns to me and says, I don't like her voice."  "Who's voice," I ask.  "The mother," he says, "It's so fake, so phony.  She wants to be so sweet but it comes across as fake."  Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

• Love 4

When Bin first started coming around, he was clearly more into Jessa than she was into him. Did anyone else perceive it that way? And then something clearly changed ... but what? By the time he moved in, she certainly wanted to get in his shorts.

Maybe Jessa caught a glimpse of him working outside with no shirt on ;)

• Love 1

My husband never watches this show, but there was nothing on tonight and we watched this episode which I had recorded (All About Jessa). About half way through he turns to me and says, I don't like her voice." "Who's voice," I ask. "The mother," he says, "It's so fake, so phony. She wants to be so sweet but it comes across as fake." Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I mentioned before that I have an acquaintance that talks like this too. She called my house once & my ds1 said "some little girl is on the phone for you". Lol!

There are pics floating around of Ben in a football uniform, in action. IIRC, he played with a homeschool co-op. I guess they traveled around and played other homeschool groups. In the south, I imagine it wouldn't have been hard to field a team, even if you didn't go to a regular school with a regular football team. 

Also, to address something from the first page, the girl with the hat is Peyton Weiss. She was one of Jessa's bridesmaids. Her brother is hottie Skylar Weiss, the muscular youth who helped Smuggar paint the spare bedroom of the DC house about 18 months ago. 

• Love 1

Arkansas may also have the "Tim Tebow Law" which allows homeschool students to play and participate in public school sports and extracurriculars. Ben might have been part of that. His family also seems to have been part of an actual church, which may have been large enough to have a school and he might have been on a team there. It does seem clear they were not as isolated as the Duggars, but then, they aren't Gothard followers.

It grosses me out how JD acted like he owns Jessa. Have we ever seen JD and Jessa interact with each other? They don't seem close at all. JD, the slack jawed yokel just wanted an excuse to be dick. He's pissed because he knows he's not getting laid anytime soon.

This family is so emotionally incestuous.

That was the same episode where JD said something about keeping the guys away from Jana & it's worked since she's 25 (or 24 at time)& not married. He forgot as her twin, he is same age & not married as well.

I'm watching the episode again & wish I could scoop Jordyn up & bring her thru the TV. She would definitely get the attention she needs in my house. Jenny & Hannie have each other & the rest of the attention goes to Josie. Jordyn is definitely the lost daughter.

I think it's funny that Benessa talk like they really would have bachelor/bachelorette parties. Somehow I don't think Ben would be allowed to celebrate with his buddies at a bar & I definitely can't picture the Duggar ladies & friends at a Chippendale type club.

• Love 3

Considering Jim Boob's advanced age and lack of conditioning, one thing's for sure -- there's little to nothing happening in that bedroom and there hasn't been for a while.

Um, I know a nice, heavyset 50-year-old gentleman who would vigorously object to that assumption. What's the deal with people on these forums thinking that people must be young and athletic to enjoy active sex lives? ;-)

All the family's talk about Jessa's organizational skills may have struck some as odd, but I kind of liked it. Jessa makes me think of one of my daughters in that way, and I like that Jessa's not afraid to take charge and keep people straight.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 4

Arkansas may also have the "Tim Tebow Law" which allows homeschool students to play and participate in public school sports and extracurriculars. Ben might have been part of that. His family also seems to have been part of an actual church, which may have been large enough to have a school and he might have been on a team there. It does seem clear they were not as isolated as the Duggars, but then, they aren't Gothard followers.

He was definitely homeschooled; Guinn often posts about homeschooling on Instagram. However, I agree about  Ben's participation in a more organized league of some kind. He was well turned-out in his uniform and people were in the stands, so it wasn't as if it was a pick-up game. The pictures I've seen were dated from what would have been Ben's senior year of high school (fall '12, or about 6 months before he met Jessa at homechurch). 

I don't think any of the brothers in that family are close with any of the sisters -- probably bc Mom and Dad encourage "separation" of boys and girls after a certain age even if they are close, as I remember that vaguely being said about Josiah and JoyAnna. They don't ever hang out and seem to have nothing in common, as the boys are lounging all day or running their "businesses" and the girls are slaving away to make sure the boys have 3 meals a day and clean underwear. We don't even ever see them sitting around chatting, yet when courting time comes around, suddenly the suitor must prove himself worthy to the brothers -- bc the brothers are SO knowledgeable about what each sister needs -- simply bc they are male, they know everything about their sister's wants and life goals. Ben had to go to DC to be grilled by Josh (though maybe that was only for TV purposes), and JD readily admitted that he was giving him the cold shoulder bc he was flirting with HIS sister. Just part of their family/cult culture I guess.

Ben's family doesn't seem like that. He's one of ONLY 7 or 8 so maybe that makes a difference. But his sisters talked about how he would always play with them and not make them feel like they were too young to hang out with him. And then his mom said when they got to be teens, she'd always hear him hanging out at night talking with his sisters. I hardly think Josh, JD, Joseph, Jana, Jill, Jessa, Joy, and Jinger have the type of relationship where they hang out with each other after the rest of the family goes to bed; seems more like -- they'll all sit in a room together if Mom and Dad mandate it for bible time and that's about it.

• Love 5

I read somewhere that it was a goal of Gothard parents to have the older kids take care and raise the younger children and the parents are now free to coast. It looks like Mullet and Boob are following that rule.