Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E10: All About Jessa

Now I don't know anything about football because you know it's a boy thingy.  But judging from past episodes I am almost certain Joy would rather be out there on the field.  Girl's got game, she made a basketball jump shot in a long skirt while riding a skateboard.  I would also imagine Jinger might enjoy it.  But Daddy can't risk losing to a couple of girls.

• Love 6

* More so than any episode in recent memory, this one really drew attention to the fact that Michelle does so little actual work for her family.  Grandma does 70 loads (!!!) of laundry per week.  Jessa rules in the "classroom."  Jinger, Jessa, and Jana team up in the kitchen.  Jessa handles packing for family trips.  Jana raises the kids.  The list goes on.  I was appalled when Michelle said, "I don't know who will take over for Jessa when she leaves, but they have big shoes to fill."  Damn, she has absolutely no shame.  I can never decide if I'm more pissed that Grandma is spending her golden years washing underwear or Jana is spending her precious early 20's doing . . .  just about everything else. 

* I trained my cat to pee in the litter box.  I trained my dog to "ask" to go outside to poop.  I worked with my daughter to teach her how to interact with her world.  The distinction feels significant (and way creepy) enough to point out here.

* How can poor Binseewald's parents stomach this humiliation?  They're being made to look like fools, just being pulled along for the ride.  

* The football game.  First of all, why were the ladies forced to "fellowship" in the stands and sign that stupid pink football while the guys played?  I have several female family members who would have not only gone toe-to-toe with the guys in a game, but probably would have kicked several of their asses up and down that field.  Second, could Boob have been more creepy?  "Bin is gettin' Jessa, so I'ma win this-here game!"  I play this weird little game when I watch this show where I try to imagine my father saying the things Boob says.  It doesn't work at all, probably because my dad viewed his three daughters as his children, not his girlfriends.  Potato-potahto, right Boob?

* Michelle's comment to Jessa during the cooking segment: "You're the woman!"  Way to proliferate those gender stereotypes!  We wouldn't want a man to think he should pitch in in the kitchen.

* Commentary from Jana was pretty scant during this episode.  I can't begin to imagine what the poor girl is thinking during all of this.

What on earth could the focus of this show possibly be once Jessa's wedding and Jill's baby storylines have been beaten to death?  Every time I think they've exhausted all possible storylines, they pull out a few more.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 14

This episode made me a little sad.  In a different kind of household that valued education or independence Jessa might have turned out to be a bad ass corporate CEO.  Instead they try to turn her into the model Gothard helpmeet.  Lost potential.  I agree with those who prefer Jessa's bitchy streak to Michelle's smarmy cooing sweetness and submissiveness.  At least Jessa has a spark of authenticity left in her.

• Love 18

This episode made me a little sad.  In a different kind of household that valued education or independence Jessa might have turned out to be a bad ass corporate CEO.  Instead they try to turn her into the model Gothard helpmeet.  Lost potential.  I agree with those who prefer Jessa's bitchy streak to Michelle's smarmy cooing sweetness and submissiveness.  At least Jessa has a spark of authenticity left in her.

Jana did mention how great it was that Jessa was going to get married and "take care" of Bin. Didn't sit right with me.

Remember that episode last season where Ben's sisters taught Jessa how to make a meal when she was clearly not good at it, and Ben made some comment about loving that she had her hair all done up, was cooking for him, and how hot that was. Nothing wrong that really, but it really brought home how much lost potential there was. Not even Ben is considering she could do anything else or be anyone else. In another life she'd be a great hairstylist at a high-end salon, or a witty blogger, or a fashion designer, or a CEO like you mentioned. She'd be playing the field and having tons of different guys at her feet.

• Love 9

I could only watch the first 8 minutes of this episode when my 17 year old son wandered in and wanted the tv. It was the part where Michelle was droning on about she didn't know who would tutor the kids after Jessa was gone..my son looked at Michelle and said that her voice sounded like his kindergarten teacher reading Green Eggs and Ham to the classroom. He also said the entire Duggar family smiles way too much, no one is that happy all of the time. 

• Love 6

I could only watch the first 8 minutes of this episode when my 17 year old son wandered in and wanted the tv. It was the part where Michelle was droning on about she didn't know who would tutor the kids after Jessa was gone..my son looked at Michelle and said that her voice sounded like his kindergarten teacher reading Green Eggs and Ham to the classroom. He also said the entire Duggar family smiles way too much, no one is that happy all of the time. 

CarolMK - you have one very perceptive 17-year old there - kudos!

• Love 2

This episode was basically a roundabout way of counting the 19 ways Jessa is a bitch. If this were real life a few of those kids would have said those exact words but I do appreciate the many ways they try to spin it! I could practically see Josh reaching deep for nice things to say. At least he did better than he did with Jill when he basically called her a snitch.

• Love 1

MEchelle says that Bin is very articulate (which he isn't), so that makes him an artist. That is not what that word means. Someone needs to lay off the bankruptcy law and learn some fucking English.

I haven't watched it, but I must ask. Did she literally mean ARTiculate meant to be ARTistic?

• Love 2

This family is unintentionally hilarious.  Or it may be intentional, I can't tell.  Michelle states Jessa explains to the kids why they have to do their schoolwork.  Cut to one of the boys saying "I don't want to do this."

Jessa`s patient explanation,  "Then it's a good thing no one asked you.  Get back in there!"

Come on ,people, that's comedy gold right there!

• Love 10

Jessa is my favorite Duggar (she seems to be the most real of the ones I can identify).  I enjoyed last night's episode. Partly because I got a good laugh out of Michelle's wondering who can possibly take on homeschooling responsibilities with Jessa not there.

It really makes me sad that the older siblings have that much control over their younger siblings. It's not the way to have a healthy sibling relationship. If it were about buddy systems for going out in public or even for helping with things around the house, fine whatever. But siblings should not be doing the parenting (other than an hour here or there, in my opinion) and handling things like enforcing rules, homework, etc.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have to discipline their younger siblings as well. Uck.

This family is unintentionally hilarious.  Or it may be intentional, I can't tell.  Michelle states Jessa explains to the kids why they have to do their schoolwork.  Cut to one of the boys saying "I don't want to do this."

Jessa`s patient explanation,  "Then it's a good thing no one asked you.  Get back in there!"

I haven't watched yet, I've been watching this season on demand on Saturday morning before I start my day, but did she really say that? If so, it's all sorts of awesome. Go on Jessa, embrace that inner bitch of yours. I love it. 

• Love 3

Two scenes stood out for me.  Ben’s mom saying that when he told her he was interested in Jessa, she told him he didn’t stand a chance because she could well imagine there were tons  of guys breaking down her door.  And, after Jim Bob announced to the family that Jessa and Ben were now courting, Josiah walked over to Ben, gave him a hug and said welcome to the family.  I thought that was a nice thing Josiah did, because John David said when he started “flirting” with Jessa, he didn’t like him and gave him the cold shoulder.  What a jerk!

• Love 8

Ok - I didn't see the episode yet but this made me laugh as I can completely relate. We homeschool and just yesterday my 11 year old was whining about, in her words, 'the stupidity of sentence diagramming'. She said 'I don't like this'. I said 'I don't care' LOL

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 2

I guess the Duggars have never heard of Mo'Ne Davis, a little girl who managed to kick some serious ass in a "boy's" sport.

The whole episode was just pathetic. Everything from Michelle's laziness to Jordan saying girls can't play football to watching Jessa bake pies for Bin. It's so sad.

On a positive note I thought the pictures of Jinger and Jessa together as kids were adorable. Those two, along with Hannie and Jackson are the only siblings who have a true friendship. With everyone else it's more like forced socialization.

Also, was Jana at the game? I don't remember seeing her in the crowd.

• Love 4

Boy MEchelle can pass the buck. When she was describing the home fooling, she said something along the lines of she taught the older ones & then it was their responsibility to teach the younger ones. Not her exact words but that's the way I understood it & that's what we've seen. On the home fooling clips I didn't see any of the kids really doing any schoolwork. It was more of wrangling the kids to sit still or telling them they had to do their work or they were sitting there looking lost. I know most of it is done on the computer, but wouldn't you think they would show us one of the "teachers" working with a small group of the children. They give Home Schooling a bad name.

Too bad Jessa doesn't have a job using her organizational skills. I could see her as a professional organizer, working at a Container type store or God forbid, working in the business world as some type of organizer for a company. There has to be a person in the retail industry that decides how the stores are layed out & how things are displayed & put on the store's shelves. When they were going on & on about Jessa & Jinger packing for their trips all I was thinking is that Kelly Bates is just the opposite- each Bates' kid packs his own stuff, the way it should be esp with the older ones. I did like when Jessa was telling the time they forgot some of the little kid's "underthings", as MEchelle would say.

Too bad we didn't see MEchelle do a cartwheel or two when the girl's were talking about her being a cheerleader. That would have been some major defrauding.

• Love 5

I totally agree siblings helping out with the care of the little children is fine but any discipline should be solely up to the parents.

I completely agree. I've often wondered assuming at least some of the discipline falls on the shoulders of the older ones, how far does it go? Do they dole out punishment? Do they put their siblings in time-out? Do they physically discipline their own siblings? Not to get into a spanking debate but assuming there are at least occasionally swats on the butt do they really have the older kids do that rather than the parents? 

They give Home Schooling a bad name.

Yes they do and as someone who home schools, it really upsets me. What they do is NOT representative of typical home schooling and I get angry every time I think about all the people who watch this show and think that's how home schoolers are.

• Love 5

MeChelle was crying that her Blessa was leaving. NO tears shed for Jill.

This struck me last night, too. I don't think MEchelle is all about Derick; thus, she's not really all about Jill and her new life.

Remember the stupid episode with the etiquette lesson? Derick had just returned from living in some pretty humble circumstances in Nepal, and you could tell he thought the dinner was insane. MEchelle was all over Bin in that episode and barely acknowledged Jill and Derick. 

I think MEchelle is the primary driver of the Gothard Bus to Crazy Town, and as such, I don't think she cares for the fact that Derick strays a little outside the lines; he graduated from a real university, he has a good job with paychecks NOT signed by Boob, he's not from a large and Gothardite family, and he's a relatively intelligent and independent guy. Yes, he's drunk a little of the Kool-Aid, but he's a far better catch than man-child Bin will ever be. I think the ever-controlling and passive-aggressive MEchelle is threatened by him. 

And clearly, she also has the hots for Bin, so she's probably living a little vicariously through Jessa. 

• Love 7

I would wager that MEchelle has had some "quality one-on-one time" with Jessa, asking her how the wedding night was with Bin. And telling her to spare no details such as length, girth, stamina, etc.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to rinse out my mouth as I just threw up in it.

• Love 8

I would wager that MEchelle has had some "quality one-on-one time" with Jessa, asking her how the wedding night was with Bin. And telling her to spare no details such as length, girth, stamina, etc.

Yes! I was thinking the exact same thing. I wonder if Bin reminds her of Boob as a young man? I would imagine Boob was just as intelligent and articulate. :)

• Love 2

I think Bin is the opposite of Boob: good-looking, athletic, well-built. He's not the brightest bulb, but he's easy on th eyes. Michelle probably thinks she settled for Boob whereas Bin is the type of guy she would have been genuinely attracted to.

• Love 8

I think Bin reminds MEchelle in no way of Boob, hence her attraction to him. Bin is the good-looking, athletic, dim type that cheerleader MEchelle should have gotten. Instead, she got doofus, helmet-head, slick-talking JimBoob.

• Love 9

Ben’s mom saying that when he told her he was interested in Jessa, she told him he didn’t stand a chance because she could well imagine there were tons  of guys breaking down her door. 

I know, right?  "Son, I'm afraid Jessa Duggar is waaaaay out of your league."  Thanks Mom!

I gotta admit I was a little choked up at seeing how close Jessa and Jinger are.  I never had a sister.  I wish I could be a fly on the wall during some of their private conversations because you know they keep it REAL.  

• Love 3

I wouldn't be surprised if they have to discipline their younger siblings as well. Uck.

I would count on it. Remember the "dinner theater" episode where Joy said to the little kids that if they don't obey, she'll "send them to Jana"?

• Love 3

Caught Michelle in a lie last night.  She said that they had decided to homeschool when Josh was 8 months old, but he went to a Christian kindergarten.  Also the whole miscarriage/"let's join a cult and have babies for Jesus" debacle did not happen quite so quickly, IIRC.  The first 5 kids had some semblance of a normal childhood- Christmas trees, Halloween costumes, etc, before they went full out Gothard.  I remember seeing some pictures of the kids when they were little, and they looked "normal".

• Love 5

Caught Michelle in a lie last night.  She said that they had decided to homeschool when Josh was 8 months old, but he went to a Christian kindergarten.  Also the whole miscarriage/"let's join a cult and have babies for Jesus" debacle did not happen quite so quickly, IIRC.  The first 5 kids had some semblance of a normal childhood- Christmas trees, Halloween costumes, etc, before they went full out Gothard.  I remember seeing some pictures of the kids when they were little, and they looked "normal".

I don't think that was a lie. Even in their books and older YouTube videos they say they decided to homeschool when Josh was a baby. There isn't anywhere that says he went to a Christian (or any other) kindergarten except online speculation.

This struck me last night, too. I don't think MEchelle is all about Derick; thus, she's not really all about Jill and her new life.  And clearly, she also has the hots for Bin, so she's probably living a little vicariously through Jessa. 

It always struck me as odd how affectionate Michelle is with Ben, considering she never goes anywhere near Derick.  At first I thought it was because she didn't know him very well, but then again, she doesn't really know Ben very well either.  I would wager if the situations were reversed, Derick would not have been invited to move on to their property. 

• Love 1

I believe this was well explained earlier. You don't just "join" ATI, it's a long process. They could have decided to homeschool, but then, as they became more part of the Gothard world, convinced that the Gothard homeschooling was the only way (I'm sure he thinks so.). But until they were approved, they had to figure out something to do about Josh. So they enrolled him in Jim Bob's old Christian school for a short time.

No one is lying, but it still explains how the early children had a more mainstream childhood.

• Love 3

What on earth could the focus of this show possibly be once Jessa's wedding and Jill's baby storylines have been beaten to death?  Every time I think they've exhausted all possible storylines, they pull out a few more.

John-David's courtship, marriage and breeding. (I am not a religious person at all, but...God help us.)

Then Jinger's.

Probably not Jana's because they have no intention of letting her escape any time soon.

Possibly another international tour, but I actually like them so bring 'em on.

By the time all this happens, it'll be time for Jill to deliver the 3rd or 4th Messiah.

I'm pretty sure the Duggars have plenty of rabbits to pull out of the hat.

• Love 3

After watching the whole episode, I actually felt like I was watching Cinderella escaping her life of drudgery in order to marry her Prince Charming. It's very sad to see how much work was heaped upon the older girls starting at a very young age. Jessa was only 17 years old when the whole family moved to Little Rock and she then had to take over the homeschooling in addition to her normal household duties. Jim Bob and Michelle make me literally sick. Their way of life is abusive to children, in my opinion. Now I can clearly see why Jessa was so eager to get married, she didn't have anything she was specifically working toward (like Jill was with becoming a midwife) and she knew her only way out was to marry a guy her parents approved of, no matter how young he was. 

• Love 6

I thought this episode Clearly showed Mom and Pops have their favorites.  Pops prefers his sweet, compliant Jilly Muffin while Mom prefers spirited and spunky Jessa Blessa.  I wonder how it applies to the other 17?

• Love 5

"I gotta admit I was a little choked up at seeing how close Jessa and Jinger are.  I never had a sister.  I wish I could be a fly on the wall during some of their private conversations because you know they keep it REAL.

"

It got me to thinking of what Jana thinks of all this. If Jessa & Jinger were besties, Jill a tattle-tale, who would Jana turn too? It seems to me like she's in this by herself. I wonder if Jana is mild-mannered and polite in public and then goes into her prayer closet and says, "FU! F all of you!"

You can only tolerate so much until you realize everybody is walking all over you. Who knows. Now that Jill and Jessa are out of the compound maybe Jana will bond with Joy Anna.

I thought Jessa and Jinger looked gorgeous in the picture where they're holding the suitcases and their hair is windblown. They looked so happy and normal. It had to be a rough transition for Jinger when Jessa flew the coop.

I don't think any of the girls were sad to see Jill go. They don't appear to spend much time with her now and I noticed Jinger didn't linger when she picked up the Littles from their sleepover. I don't think Jana has any real friends. Joy is adorable but too young to be a true confidante.

• Love 1

Jessa is my favorite Duggar (she seems to be the most real of the ones I can identify).  I enjoyed last night's episode. Partly because I got a good laugh out of Michelle's wondering who can possibly take on homeschooling responsibilities with Jessa not there.

It really makes me sad that the older siblings have that much control over their younger siblings. It's not the way to have a healthy sibling relationship. If it were about buddy systems for going out in public or even for helping with things around the house, fine whatever. But siblings should not be doing the parenting (other than an hour here or there, in my opinion) and handling things like enforcing rules, homework, etc.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have to discipline their younger siblings as well. Uck.

I think the sibs have to do whatever Me-chelle doesn't want to do herself - which is most of it. To be honest, I can't actually think of anything Me-chelle does on a routine, daily basis to care for any of her children, regardless of age. She doesn't cook, she doesn't clean, she doesn't homeschool, she doesn't do laundry, she doesn't play with them, she doesn't read to them, she doesn't wash them or dress them and get them ready in the morning or at bedtime. I'm not even sure she eats with them. That mile-long table only seems full now when they have guests or special events. They seem to eat scattered between the table, that big kitchen island and the living room furniture. Seems to me there have to be whole days when some, maybe even most, of the kids have very little or no contact with Me-chelle.

• Love 4

I have one more comment for the day and then it's back to work.

I noticed that Ben commented on meeting the Duggars for the first time:

"I knew about the Duggars but I never thought I'd get to meet them."

That's an odd statement considering the Duggars claim Jessa & Ben met in church. Surely if they had then Ben and Jessa would have talked or 'fellowshipped' in church before driving to their house. After watching this segment it looks to me that Ben had not been introduced to Jessa or anybody in the family before that first meeting at the compound.

In my opinion, Jim Bob selected Ben for political reasons. I'm gonna do some research.

• Love 5

Yes! I was thinking the exact same thing. I wonder if Bin reminds her of Boob as a young man? I would imagine Boob was just as intelligent and articulate. :)

Yes, and because he was so articulate, that made Boob very "artistic" too - LOL.

• Love 1

I think the sibs have to do whatever Me-chelle doesn't want to do herself -

Yes, but you see, Michelle make sure they have a spiritual and moral center. Charterer is soooo important. She and Jim Bob are the lighthouses of their lives!

Who care if they're naked, dirty, hungry, uneducated, and unsupervised?

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 1

I think the sibs have to do whatever Me-chelle doesn't want to do herself - which is most of it. To be honest, I can't actually think of anything Me-chelle does on a routine, daily basis to care for any of her children, regardless of age. She doesn't cook, she doesn't clean, she doesn't homeschool, she doesn't do laundry, she doesn't play with them, she doesn't read to them, she doesn't wash them or dress them and get them ready in the morning or at bedtime. I'm not even sure she eats with them. That mile-long table only seems full now when they have guests or special events. They seem to eat scattered between the table, that big kitchen island and the living room furniture. Seems to me there have to be whole days when some, maybe even most, of the kids have very little or no contact with Me-chelle.

I constantly ask myself that question.  She claims to workout for one hour a day.  Other than that - who knows.  She certainly doesn't teach her little one Josie how to cook beyond the spit and stick technique.  That was all a ploy for TLC to try and show she does something in the kitchen.  

Does anyone know if Ben played team sports growing up?  I could see Guinn and the reptilian dad taking him to such things.  He seems to have played - at least on some level.  Just curious.  

• Love 2

MEchelle says that Bin is very articulate (which he isn't), so that makes him an artist. That is not what that word means. Someone needs to lay off the bankruptcy law and learn some fucking English.

Compared to Mechelle  everyone sounds like a walking thesaurus.

• Love 1