Type keyword(s) to search

Killian Jones/Captain Hook: One Handed Pirate With A Drinking Problem

• Start Topic

I tend to think that the lack of Captain Swan scenes isn't due to A&E punishing them, but because their journey is a story of finding and coming back to each other.  I'll use 5B onwards as an example: Emma finds Killian in the Underworld, he comes back to her in Storybrooke, Emma comes back to him after dealing with Henry running off.  In Season 6, Wish Hook finds Emma and Emma comes back to Killian in Storybrooke.  There are tons of other examples, but these are the most recent that I can remember.  I think that this season's lack of scenes is more pronounced because their romantic journey is coming to a head.

I think you're giving the writers too much credit. The only reason they "come back to each other" is because the writers get distracted by a shiny new plot, so CS gets put on the backburner and don't get focus for a few episodes, and then they suddenly get a lot of focus because the writers finally have to time to write for them again.

• Love 4

Who else am I supposed to give credit to?  Jen and Colin bring their characters to life, but the writers write them.  And I think they find/come back to each other because it is what they do as characters and that it is not based on new plots.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Hook and Emma being separated and finding each other isn't the writers' primary goal, it's just a byproduct of A&E wanting to focus on other characters and other plots. When A&E had Old Hook barge into the scene, I doubt they were thinking, "And now Hook will find Emma in this realm because that's what they always do as a couple—they find each other." I think their only thought process was, "Wouldn't it be funny if Hook was really old and Emma shoved him away?" Sure, as a fan, we can over-analyze the scene and interpret it as Hook always finding Emma, but I don't think that was the writers' main intention. If they really wanted to show how Emma and Hook always find each other no matter what, Emma's first instinct wouldn't have been to look for August, it would have been to look for Hook. Or when A&E wrote Emma going to NYC in the Season 5 finale, they weren't thinking, "And now we're going to separate Emma and Hook and see what they'll do to find each other again." They probably just thought, "Wouldn't it be fun to do yet another Regina/Emma road trip? Let's have them go to NYC. What should we do about the others? Maybe we can have them forced into a portal so Henry feels bad about destroying magic." So in that instance, Emma and Hook being separated wasn't because A&E wanted to test their relationship, it's because they wanted to see a very particular plot play out, and the fact that Emma and Hook reunited at the end of the episode was just a return to the status quo because they're a couple now.

Anyways, back to Hook...what is his main motivation this season? He doesn't really have one. At first, it was his concern for Emma's fate as the Savior and the shears plot, but that ended fairly quickly. And then he didn't really get to do much of anything with the Wish Realm stuff. So what is his motivation? Every character needs a motivation, and right now he's kind of just playing the sidekick role helping David out with his issues.

• Love 6

I was thinking about this earlier today as well. Hook really hasn't had his own storyline this season and has just been hanging in the background providing support, asking if they're okay, and stressing out when Emma disappears with Regina for the 100th time. However, I wonder if tonight might kick off his story and show that his motivation is being worthy of having a future with Emma. We heard him in the first half talk about how he hadn't yet forgiven himself and we know that part of his motivation tonight is making David see him as more than a pirate, but I think that comes back to how he feels about himself. Some of this discussion gets spoilery:

Spoiler

We know that tonight he asks for David's blessing to propose, but I'm guessing it's still a few eps before he actually pops the question. Maybe these solo adventures he goes on are part of his journey to forgiving himself and believing that he deserves Emma. 

32 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

I was thinking about this earlier today as well. Hook really hasn't had his own storyline this season and has just been hanging in the background providing support, asking if they're okay, and stressing out when Emma disappears with Regina for the 100th time. However, I wonder if tonight might kick off his story and show that his motivation is being worthy of having a future with Emma. We heard him in the first half talk about how he hadn't yet forgiven himself and we know that part of his motivation tonight is making David see him as more than a pirate, but I think that comes back to how he feels about himself. Some of this discussion gets spoilery:

Hide contents

We know that tonight he asks for David's blessing to propose, but I'm guessing it's still a few eps before he actually pops the question. Maybe these solo adventures he goes on are part of his journey to forgiving himself and believing that he deserves Emma. 

And I guarantee you've just given more thought to Hook's motivations than the writers have this season!

• Love 2
On 7/24/2016 at 0:03 AM, Kktjones said:

Okay - this is total and complete speculation, but based on this interview, I predict we will learn that Hook has something to do with the death of Charming's father. They totally gave away the fact that whatever Hook's secret was would impact his relationship with Charming. Sounded like it was something pretty bad that will cause Hook to have to look inside at what kind of man he was and try to forgive himself. Anyway, just throwing that out there since we got very few spoilers about Hook (and Charming for that matter) at Comic Con...

Edited July 24, 2016 by Kktjones.

First of all, let me be the first to say that I've never been sorrier to be right :(. 

WARNING: RANT AHEAD. Okay, I love the character of Hook. I've loved him since S2 when he came on the scene with his sassy one-liners, his innuendos, his eye liner and leather pants. I loved that he slowly became an anti-hero and was on a great path of redemption. I always felt that he didn't have as far to go as the other villains on the show b/c he was basically a good man trying to get revenge on the person who killed his love. Yes, he did some bad things in flashbacks (hitting Belle, killing Claude), but it was all in the name of getting his revenge. When we saw him screw over Ursula it was in the name of his revenge.

Then Season 5 came along and suddenly he's wearing the rings of men that he killed for no reason. Then we see him kill his father and orphan his half brother out of anger. Now they have him kill David's father in cold blood (after killing the King's guards). I knew he did some bad and ruthless things, but I hate that they seem to have ret-conned him to be even worse over the last couple seasons. Now we know that he killed Emma's grandfather. That is never going away and to me it will always taint their relationship. One thing I find so unbelievable about this show is that everyone is friends with Regina after all the terrible things she did to their family (including killing Emma's other grandfather). Now in order for Emma & Hook to have a relationship and get married, the same thing will have to happen with him. Everyone will just get over it and they'll all be one big happy family. I just don't think I can let it go that easily.

Sorry for the long post, I guess I'm just trying to work through this in my head.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

Now in order for Emma & Hook to have a relationship and get married, the same thing will have to happen with him. Everyone will just get over it and they'll all be one big happy family. I just don't think I can let it go that easily.

One difference is Hook actually shows remorse, where Regina has only self-pity even when she has victimized others. Still--this twist is pretty bad. I donno how I can get past it. It's like the egg napping equivalent.

• Love 3

The one thing that does separate Hook from Regina and Rumple is that he's going to get a lot of shit for this. It may be a double standard where Regina got a happy pep talk from Snow in 6x01 when Snow brought up the fact Regina murdered her father, yet Hook will probably get his ass kicked by David for murdering his father, but in the end, it'll make Hook's character much more redeemed and enjoyable to watch. He's treated differently because the other characters expect so much more from him. Regina gets away with Graham, Rumple gets away with pushing Milah into the river, but Hook isn't going to get away with David's father. (Did they even bother naming his father? I didn't catch his name.) 

Part of being a Hook fan means wanting to see him get proper karma for his bad deeds. The sad thing is, even after being physically tortured in the Underworld and dying, he's still atoning for past mistakes. I mean, how do you top getting tortured by the god of the Underworld and becoming a hell dog chew toy?

21 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

Then Season 5 came along and suddenly he's wearing the rings of men that he killed for no reason. Then we see him kill his father and orphan his half brother out of anger. Now they have him kill David's father in cold blood (after killing the King's guards). I knew he did some bad and ruthless things, but I hate that they seem to have ret-conned him to be even worse over the last couple seasons.

It's really annoying how they keep making the flashbacks worse and worse. I think Colin was even taken aback by how dark they've made Hook in flashbacks lately. I forget which interview it was, but he was basically saying how he always forgets that Captain Hook used to do really bad things in the past...and I just want to be like, "It's not that you're forgetting these details, Colin, it's that the writers keep tacking on new things."

• Love 8

Why would Hook care that Papa Charming witnessed him killing the guards? For one thing, he was only temporarily visiting from Neverland. For another, Hook does not care if a non-magical monarch comes after him or not. He murdered Claude, Regina's guard, in her own castle and almost murdered her prisoner. He did not act afraid when she caught him doing it. Lastly, he had just saved the man's life. Did he really think he was going to tattle to the man who was trying to have him killed? 

This was one of the most careless things we have ever seen anyone do on this show. I don't know if I can get past it. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, InsertWordHere said:

This was one of the most careless things we have ever seen anyone do on this show. I don't know if I can get past it. 

The careless part is what makes it hard to swallow. If Hook learned that David's father sold his own son and that triggered Hook's anger, okay...it still would suck but at least it's a better reason than, "Oh, well, you might tell someone you saw me." Unless Hook wasn't supposed to be away from Neverland and he was nervous about word getting back to Pan, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. There were so many different ways this could have gone down, and the writers chose the most out of character and damning version possible.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 8

Since when does a pirate--a pirate, care about other people finding out he killed someone? And why would King George care that those two men were dead? And why does Hook care at all, when he's most likely on his way back to Neverland?? It made no freaking sense at all. 

• Love 7

I just had a horrible thought. When Pleasure Island was first mentioned, Hook said something about how Pan had talked about the place but he (Hook) had never been there. At the end of the episode, we see Hook on the road near Pleasure Island. We know he did errands for Pan and Pleasure Island is full of Lost Boys. I hope our Captain wasn't involved in kidnapping any of the boys on their way to PI and taking them to Neverland. 

1 minute ago, InsertWordHere said:

I hope our Captain wasn't involved in kidnapping any of the boys on their way to PI and taking them to Neverland. 

I wouldn't be surprised at this point. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Since when does a pirate--a pirate, care about other people finding out he killed someone? And why would King George care that those two men were dead? And why does Hook care at all, when he's most likely on his way back to Neverland?? It made no freaking sense at all. 

You'd think he'd want to keep him alive to maintain his bad boy pirate reputation.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Curio said:

You'd think he'd want to keep him alive to maintain his bad boy pirate reputation.

Exactly!!! And we know Hook was all about keeping up appearances. This makes zero sense. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 5

Or, like someone said in the episode thread, tell the man the price for saving his life was joining the crew and not returning to his family lest King George find out he's still alive. Maybe don't tell him he'd be working for an evil little demon until it's too late to back out in a hellish land. Still villainous, but kind of an understandable thing for a pirate to do. 

• Love 2

I must say I was shocked and disappointed when we found out Hook killed David's father.  But his flashbacks have been getting darker so it wasn't that big of a surprise. I just hope everything works out between him and Emma and that David is able to forgive him if he ever does find out. 

Can we please get one Hook flashback that's not so murdery where we get a glimpse into his Naval Academy days? I want to see how Killian learned to fence and navigate and acquired a big vocabulary and learned library research skills. Is that too much to ask?

Edited by Curio
  • Love 3

I don't know if this was already explained somewhere, but is there a reason why they chose Killian as his first name, given that the original Captain Hook (unlike, say, Prince Charming) already has an actual first name? 

Edited by Olivia Y
40 minutes ago, Olivia Y said:

I don't know if this was already explained somewhere, but is there a reason why they chose Killian as his first name, given that the original Captain Hook (unlike, say, Prince Charming) already has an actual first name? 

I think it's two reasons: 1) they didn't want to use the name James because that was David's twin's name, and 2) they wanted to make this version of Captain Hook significantly different than the other versions. By giving him a completely different name, the writers were admitting that this was going to be a whole new character that only took bits and pieces from Captain James Hook. Killian is just as influenced by Han Solo and the Dread Pirate Roberts as he is by Captain Hook.

With that being said, it still boggles my mind that they chose the last name Jones and then never bothered doing anything in Killian's family tree about Davy Jones. Seriously, why did we get Brennan instead? If there's a Season 7, will we find out Killian's mom is Davy Jones?

Edited by Curio
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, Curio said:

With that being said, it still boggles my mind that they chose the last name Jones and then never bothered doing anything in Killian's family tree about Davy Jones. Seriously, why did we get Brennan instead? If there's a Season 7, will we find out Killian's mom is Davy Jones?

They also gave him and all members of the family Irish first names, hired an Irish actor to play the role -- and then made him use an English accent.

• Love 1

I wonder if they considered doing a spinoff show with just him, since he's so popular.  There are so many fairy tale and fictional characters related to the sea so there would be lots of material to work with.  Maybe this could have succeeded more than "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland", which had no actor from the parent show (since they seemed to have originally thought of using Sebastian Stan as an anchor).  

They could have written Hook off after 3A, so the whole spinoff could focus on his redemption story and meeting people from his past related to the ocean, and then eventually finding love.   It could have been as good as "Angel".

Alternatively, maybe both Hook and Regina could have gone to headline the spinoff series.  That could have been an interesting coupling, and they could both grow a lot and develop, either as friends or eventually love interests.  Then (well, aside from A&E still being the Writers), they could tell Emma's story more fully on the parent show.  

Regina could also have gone to headline her own spinoff series as well.  Then, we'd have three shows to watch every week.  Hers could have been set in the Land Without Magic.

Edited by Camera One

I wouldn't mind a Hook spinoff, but please, for the love of god, NO REGINA. At one point, I did enjoy Hook and Regina's interactions in Season 3 as begrudging frenemies, but any show Regina winds up on, she'll end up taking all the screen time and attention. If Hook were to truly get a fun and proper spinoff, it would have to be by himself.

But I totally agree, there's so much fun to be had by exploring Hook's sea history. When they were first teasing Sinbad for Season 6, I got irrationally excited because I thought we might get an arc about Hook's pirate days with Sinbad sailing the Seven Seas, which could turn into a proper arc about Agrabah and maybe even Atlantis. At least we got a few minutes of Captain Nemo this year.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Yeah, the Hook spinoff could have had Hook, Sinbad and maybe Ursula as the main cast.

Don't forget Ariel! I love her interactions with Hook. She could be the spunky "kid sister" sidekick who helps him keep his priorities straight, kind of like Cordelia in season one of Angel.

• Love 7

I've found I actually love Hook when he's not brooding. He was wonderful in S2, 3A, and in "Murder Most Foul" until the last five minutes. Sometimes it seems like I don't care for him, but it's only when he's an accessory to Emma (6A) or an angst machine.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Camera One said:

Alternatively, maybe both Hook and Regina could have gone to headline the spinoff series.  That could have been an interesting coupling, and they could both grow a lot and develop, either as friends or eventually love interests. 

Season 7?

Regina and Hook could never work as love interests. Regina needs someone who will always kiss her ass and butter her up. I just can't see Hook doing that even just based on their S2 dynamic.

• Love 3

With different Writers, I think the actors themselves had good enough chemistry to make it work.  This is if the Regina/Hook spinoff was handed off to someone else.  While A&E goes off to run the Merida spinoff that none of us would watch.

• Love 1

The concept of Hook and Regina as a couple makes me wanna hurl, because I LIKE Hook. I would never, ever want a character I like anywhere near Regina.

Colin has chemistry with everybody.

• Love 9

Had they taken a different path for Regina around The Cricket Game (coincidentally the first opportunity she would have had to interact with Hook in the present day), it might have worked. Instead they took all of the self-awareness and self-loathing I thought they were going to give to Regina midway through season two and gave it all to Hook later in the season. I will never understand why they focused so much on the self-pity with Regina, unless it's meant to show us that that's her main character trait, whether good, evil, or "redeemed." 

• Love 7

You know, the more they retcon additional evil acts into Hook's past during the time he had the hook, the sillier that whole "evil hand" plot looks, especially since at that time, Hook would have known all the things he'd done and when he did them.

When he had the hand, he was a despairing drunk deckhand, turned his life around to be a stellar naval officer, turned pirate because he couldn't serve a king who would order genocide, rescued a woman from sexual harassment in a tavern and walked away from her when he learned she was married, was a bully to a weak man and lied to cover up for the man's wife running away, and had a long-term loving relationship, during which I guess he carried out acts of piracy, but we don't have details.

With the hook, he devoted his life to revenge, betrayed his stepson, ran errands for Pan, murdered a helpless man just to keep him from being a witness to other crimes, betrayed Ursula and stole her voice, knocked Belle around, killed a guard, murdered his father and left his little brother an orphan, kidnapped and tortured Archie, shot Belle, tried to kill Rumple, and started to turn his life around.

But Rumple managed to convince him that the hand was a worse influence on him than the hook was?

• Love 3

In 6A, we already saw Hook having to face someone (Liam) whose father he killed.  If anything, Liam forgave him mostly because Nemo was surprisingly still alive.  How could they think it was a good idea to repeat the same thing in 6B, with David?  Presumably, they came up with both of these at summer camp before Season 6?  I wonder if they worried about being repetitious.  The forgiveness will no doubt also occur under a life-and-death situation.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Presumably, they came up with both of these at summer camp before Season 6?  I wonder if they worried about being repetitious.

Josh and Colin seemed to be talking about this plot at ComicCon last summer, and they talked like this was a plot coming early in the season. That makes me wonder if there was a change of plans, maybe having something to do with the reshoots, if this was supposed to have happened earlier in the season, and they either replaced that plot with the Nemo and Liam story or they realized that it was repetitive and moved it to later in the season. But it really sounded like they'd read the script for this episode and were talking in pretty specific terms about it.

The casting for Nemo came at the end of August.  I find A&E's quote unintentionally funny:

“We’re thrilled to give a Once Upon a Time spin to the classic character of Captain Nemo from one of our favorite Disney films, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea,” executive producers Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis say. “We’re excited to see his mythology merge with Storybrooke’s own captain — Hook [Colin O’Donohue].

If for no other reason than to see the Jolly Roger go up against a submarine.

Yeah, if for no other reason alright.  Their rationale for everything is just so shallow.

they realized that it was repetitive and moved it to later in the season.

If it's that repetitious, why not just not do it twice?

If they were forced to slot in Aladdin and Jasmine, maybe that was meant for the Hook kills David's father plot.  But that AND Nemo all in 6A would have been repetitious as hell.

Edited by Camera One

Apparently that whipped cream on nose thing was improvised by Colin, who was trying to get the kid who was playing baby Alex to react. lol This is from the Colin meet and greet at Van con by tumblr user Flipperbrain. She asked not to link to her post outside of tumblr. But you can check it out at her blog. 

• Love 3

Colin: Hook's happily ever after would just be getting an evening or night where both he and Emma can sit down and maybe have dinner or watch TV or have a glass of wine, because in Storybrooke, they literally never get a chance to do anything.

I 100% agree with this. Even Colin realizes they never get to watch Netflix.

• Love 7

It's not just you that wants that happy ending, Colin.

Now that we've seen this extra interaction with Nemo, does anyone wish we could've had more of that this season? Or had him around longer? Nemo is awesome and the set is totally cool. I guess it just would've been too much to have another Hook-ish centered storyline after the Underworld. But if they had pursued this Lost of Untold Stories thing properly, we could've really had some fun with Nemo. 

• Love 8

I'm not sure what being on the Nautilus would even reveal about Hook or what he can "learn" from this experience at this point.  Therefore, the decision feels completely plot-oriented (to allow for a happy reunion later on) with nothing to do with character.  If anything, it would be MORE interesting to see Hook tell David and deal with the fallout.  Not that I buy into this storyline at all, but I'd rather have seen that if this storyline had to happen.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

Have you guys seen Carrie Pilby?

I thought the movie was cute and the main actress was very good. Colin played an absolute creep and I was actively repelled every time he appearead on screen (so, good acting?). I read on Tumblr that some people found Carrie unlikeable, and she's definitely very flawed, but I liked her a lot.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

The whole thing has had me pondering whether he'd be better off staying where he is, and then maybe Ariel will finally realize that there's something wrong about Eric constantly ditching her to go sail the seas when she's a mermaid. So, Kariel? Hariel? Captain Fin? Captain Klepto?

Yeah--some people have already jumped on board the Hookriel train on tumblr. They seem too much like siblings to me, but I can see why people might ship it.

Part of me wants Hook to stick to the Nautilus, and build a relationship with Nemo and his half-brother, with occasional adventures involving Ariel, Elsa, Tink, Ursula, Blackbeard, et al.. These people at least acknowledge him and some of them genuinely care for him, without ignoring the fact that he did terrible things in the past. It's sad that Hook's Happy Ending is apparently living with people who don't truly trust him or even seem to care for him as more than Emma's purse-holder. 

While Season 5 was great for Captain Swan, Season 6 has set their relationship back by several seasons. In some ways, it's worse than Season 3, because apparently Emma is so oblivious to him that she doesn't even realize when he is near a breakdown. Why was she not happy that Hook was apparently working out his issues (as she told him to do) with the only family he had, and instead jumped to the conclusion that he'd left her forever, without taking his most precious possessions? Has Emma even meet Liam 2.0 and Nemo? I get she has abandonment issues, but she didn't have a flicker of doubt?? She was more tuned-in to him in earlier seasons--as early as Season 2 and 3, and they're supposed to be confirmed True Loves who communicated across life and death in Season 5.

Plus, the power imbalance between them which was acknowledged in Season 5 is actually worse now. Emma keeps taking away his options, even when he was the one to make the original plans (like the CS house and living together, and proposing). All Hook wants is to give Emma her heart's desires now, even though that's really an unhealthy way to be in a relationship. I'm sure his relationship with Milah had more mutual give and take. He's put Emma and her family on such a high pedestal, and the writing seems to be implying that he should be doing so. Why else would Hook, who said he wasn't old-fashioned in S4 (and has had two live-in relationships), ask Charming for his blessing for Emma's hand in marriage? He also said that Prince Charming set the bar pretty high. He seems to be idolizing David like he did Liam, except apparently now it's justified. 

The whole Hook-murdered-Robert plot is terrible, becasue Hook really does have to live the rest of his life with the knowledge that he killed David's father and Emma's grandfather. Unlike Regina, he is unable to compartmentalize, and so even if the guilt fades, it will be a thorn in his side. As for the Charmings, it makes them look even more idiotic to have two people who murdered family members so closely integrated into their inner circle. At least with Hook, David's already been treating him as if he murdered a family member--so not much is going to change. Even if things get resolved with a bro-hug now, the next season (if they have one), it will be back to square one with David calling Hook a dirty pirate who murdered his father. 

Canon CS has lost most of its appeal in the Show. Thank goodness for fanfic!

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 6

Heck yeah, sign me up for some Hookriel! No seriously, while I think this season has done some serious damage to CaptainSwan, the problem really began awhile ago. At the Vancouver con, Jen & Colin were asked what their favorite CS scene was. Colin responded that he really liked the Beanstalk stuff b/c it was "playful, and you could see the start of something." For me that's what is missing from Hook as a character and CS as a couple. They no longer have that playful banter or camaraderie. In Season 3 I always thought when they actually got together as a couple, it would be the end of "sad Hook" and the two of them would become a fun, adventurous ass-kicking duo. Instead it's just been one sad, depressing story after another (Hook's being controlled by Rumple, Emma's magic is out of control, Emma's the Dark One, so is Hook, Hook's dead, Emma's got a saviour-invoked death sentence, etc.). While I'm sure I'll squee with everyone else if they get engaged again, and hopefully married, I highly doubt the show will match fan expectations around either event.

However, pairing Hook with someone like Ariel, who has so much less baggage, just feels fun. Whether it be as friends or in a relationship, I could see them on adventures, solving problems and bantering. I know it will never happen, but for me it's almost more fun to imagine these days than his future with Emma & the Charmings (and I love Emma & the Charmings, I just don't see how he fits in there anymore).

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

Yeah--some people have already jumped on board the Hookriel train on tumblr. They seem too much like siblings to me, but I can see why people might ship it.

I was mostly being snarky after seeing that Ariel seems to have more faith in him than Emma does, even though Ariel hasn't seen him at his best, and meanwhile, the only thing they seem to know how to write for Ariel is searching for Eric after he disappeared while being off sailing. I know some of that is due to actor availability, so they need an excuse for why Eric isn't there, but then they had him in this episode when Jafar was posing as Eric in the flashback, so why couldn't they have had him there with Ariel in the present instead of being off sailing again? Hook took Milah with him to go sailing around the world, so why does Eric keep sailing off without Ariel, when she's an actual mermaid? I could see Hook being perfectly content with letting Ariel swim alongside the ship when she wants to and come on board and hang out with him when she wants to.

But, you know, they could have a kind of It Happened One Night dynamic -- the ditzy, somewhat naive but adventurous princess paired with the world-weary, down on his luck guy, with them starting out to get her to her boyfriend/fiance/whatever (I think Hook once referred to Eric as Ariel's husband, but otherwise I don't think we have any indication that they've yet been officially married) but having feelings for each other develop along the way as they face adventures and obstacles along the way.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kktjones said:

I know it will never happen, but for me it's almost more fun to imagine these days than his future with Emma & the Charmings (and I love Emma & the Charmings, I just don't see how he fits in there anymore).

Agree. Hook doesn't truly fit with the Charmings unless he's prepared to have no identity other than being Emma's partner. It seems such a depressing ending to such a fun character in the beginning.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, for me at least, they've taken what was once a morally gray, snarky, innuendo-laden, anti-hero with a tragic backstory bent on avenging his lost love (and admittedly hurting innocent people that got in his way) into a broody, sulking, villain-turned-hero who killed his father, orphaned his brother, murdered innocent people left and right who pretty much just exists to love and support Emma & the Charmings with no life, friends, family, or personality of his own. I know I'm exaggerating, but Hook was just such a great character and it feels like they are stripping away the things that made him fun & interesting, and adding things that make him un-sympathetic & boring. 

P.S. He's probably still my favorite character. I don't know if that says more about how much I liked him, or how much the other characters are lacking...

Edited by Kktjones
  • Love 5