Type keyword(s) to search

Killian Jones/Captain Hook: One Handed Pirate With A Drinking Problem

• Start Topic

There are some fanfiction that have cursed Killian as a priest, probably because Colin played one in a film. I'm not a big fan of that idea, I imagine him working in something related to the sea, like a fisherman.

Edited by RadioGirl27

There are some fanfics that have Killian as a fisherman, too. I was all right with that until I saw it more than a few times. Then I was like, why can't he be a marine biologist for once?

Edited by Faemonic
  • Love 1

Then I was like, why can't he be a marine biologist for once?

The internet giveth.  Of course, this is AU, not a cursed persona, but still...

I'm annoyed that twice now (cursed lips, blackmailing Gold) they've had to reduce Killian's IQ to facilitate the plot, but overall I am very impressed with his growth since season 2.  IMO he's the only villain redemption arch they've really managed successfully, probably because there hasn't been any flipfloping or him still being a horrible person while his love interest tells him how good and pure and awesome he is.  And I have to say, despite being annoyed at parts of the execution, I am really glad Killian got a storyline this season that wasn't just about being Emma's love interest.  That's Robin's entire purpose, and Bell's for the most part, and even Charming has suffered this fate at times.  I would love to see him develop relationships with other people in town (positive or negative, just some indication that he's part of the larger community now) but revisiting the relationship with Rumple/Gold that shaped his life for several centuries was a good move on the writers' parts, though as with many storylines on this show I think it could have been executed more effectively. 

• Love 5

There are some fanfiction that have cursed Killian as a priest, probably because Colin played one in a film. I'm not a big fan of that idea,

I do like "Peace I Leave With You", even if I don't think Regina would have made Killian a priest. I think Regina would have enjoyed making him her lackey in some form. Perhaps, he would have been a prized hitman for hire.

I'm annoyed that twice now (cursed lips, blackmailing Gold) they've had to reduce Killian's IQ to facilitate the plot, but overall I am very impressed with his growth since season 2.

At this point everyone's IQ has been reduced a half dozen times mainly due to plot, but I still think Killy is one of the smarter characters. The lips thing I'm not too bothered by (IQ-wise) mainly because he stuck between a rock and a hard place, and he panicked. At that point they didn't have a way to stop Zelena, so she could have easily followed up on her threat about hurting Henry.

People do dumb things when they panic, no matter how smart they are. Should Killy have told Emma right away? yep. But I think his self-esteem and other issues also played a part. He seems to be kind of terrified that if he does something wrong, he'll be thrown out of the group and people will never forgive him.

The problem with that curse, like you have pointed out, was more about the execution of plot.

As for the hand thing, that was a bigger blow to his IQ because he should have known better, so I'll agree with you on that one. The funny thing is, is that it was his cockiness that got him trouble, and now we get to watch Rumple's IQ take a huge dive do to his cockiness about the hat/dagger plan.

I'm also happy with the way they've handled Killy. They've done a pretty good job with his character.

• Love 1
I'm annoyed that twice now (cursed lips, blackmailing Gold) they've had to reduce Killian's IQ to facilitate the plot, but overall I am very impressed with his growth since season 2.

It's like the whole thing is two-fold.  Hook has actually been a hell of a lot smarter than everyone because he knew what Rumple was up to with the dagger and he sees Rumple for who he really is, a bad guy who hasn't changed, who hides behind his new wife and his dead son and the sacrifice he made regarding the whole Pan saga.  The only thing is that he used his knowledge in a selfish way, trying to get his hand back, overplaying his leverage made him a complete idiot.  What makes him an idiot is that the writing has shown how well he knows Rumple but he did not apply that knowledge to himself and his circumstances.  He was reckless and he's paying for it.

I think Hook's growth is one of those things that i have really enjoyed watching.  But he was such an ineffective villain (though i have to give it to him, going all the way to NYC and nearly killing Rumple...he came close to his goal).  What I've always liked about him is that even as a bad guy, he was still self-aware and his self-awareness is really a character trait for him, because the more things progress, the more that trait is played up.

I mean Hook went from not giving a crap that SB might get destroyed in S2 to asking Rumple to leave Emma and the town alone.  I mean wow!  Talk about a turn around.

• Love 2
I admit I'm intrigued as to what his cursed persona would have been.

I'm super curious, too. But I actually like the fact that Emma met Hook when it was his real Enchanted Forest personality, not a fake one. If she'd met him in Storybrooke, he would have had a 21st century brain download of real world things and Emma's mental whiplash when she eventually finds out he's actually Captain Hook wouldn't have been as strong because he would have had a cursed persona she could think about. But with Emma only knowing Hook as a 100% authentic fairy tale person who refuses to change out of his pirate garb (until this season...), it stacks the deck against him because she's automatically going to be more on her guard around him versus someone like Graham who's dressed in normal clothing and was a normal sheriff for a time. It makes the fact that Emma and Hook are together now even more impressive.

However, I think it would be really fun to see - even for just an episode - what a cursed Killian would've been like. And who knows, maybe Adam & Eddy wanted to introduce Hook in Season 1, but only wanted him to be tied into Rumple's flashbacks. Maybe they never actually intended on giving him a cursed Storybrooke persona.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

I'm annoyed that twice now (cursed lips, blackmailing Gold) they've had to reduce Killian's IQ to facilitate the plot, but overall I am very impressed with his growth since season 2.  IMO he's the only villain redemption arch they've really managed successfully, probably because there hasn't been any flipfloping or him still being a horrible person while his love interest tells him how good and pure and awesome he is.

I think Hook's redemption it's better written because it was the plan all along, so they put more thought into it than in Regina's or Rumple's, who weren't supposed to be redeemed but then became too popular to let them go.

A&E have said that they wanted him to be Emma's love interest since the beginning and that they wanted to introduce him already in season 1 but they hadn't the rights to Peter Pan yet. So, if this is true, his redemption had to be planed since the beginning.

• Love 1

...But I actually like the fact that Emma met Hook when it was his real Enchanted Forest personality, not a fake one. If she'd met him in Storybrooke, he would have had a 21st century brain download of real world things and Emma's mental whiplash when she eventually finds out he's actually Captain Hook wouldn't have been as strong because he would have had a cursed persona she could think about.

I agree. I love the fact that Hook is sort of Emma's opposite when it comes to the Real World and Fairy Tale land. He is clueless about our world, while she has difficulty adjusting to the world of fairytales. And yet, they're both survivors and fighters, and manage to hold their own in the situations they find themselves in. I also love that Hook never had a dual personality, unlike Emma's other beaus.

... And who knows, maybe Adam & Eddy wanted to introduce Hook in Season 1, but only wanted him to be tied into Rumple's flashbacks. Maybe they never actually intended on giving him a cursed Storybrooke persona.

That is a very interesting thought. It's possible that the writers could have introduced present day Enchanted Forest scenes at the tail end of S1, rather than early S2. Wasn't their original plan to have the Curse break partway through S1?

• Love 2

I got the exact opposite impression from the article (A&E have mentioned this before too). I don't think Hook would've been killied if he had been on the Show right from the start. I'm sure they had flexibility in planning things. For instance, it is likely that just when things started to heat up between Emma and Cursed!Killian, the Dark Curse would have broken and "Hook" would have been back, focusing on his revenge again, effectively derailing the romance until the end of season 2.

That would have been cool. But I do like the idea that Emma, the fairy tale princess who's always been a "normal person", out of all those fairy tale characters with modern world memories ends up with the one who's 100% fairy tale. I just like that contrast. 

• Love 6

That would have been cool. But I do like the idea that Emma, the fairy tale princess who's always been a "normal person", out of all those fairy tale characters with modern world memories ends up with the one who's 100% fairy tale. I just like that contrast.

This is what makes the relationship work for me. Hook is pure fantasy, and Emma needs that in her life. She's a no-nonsense bail-bonds-woman and he's a flirty pirate. But they have so many similarities, like growing up without parents and being resourceful, that it just works swimmingly.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

About Hook's cursed persona, Eddy or Adam (I don't remember which) said at PaleyFest that Hook would've been a sushi chef. They were joking of course, but maybe they would've given him something related to the ocean then.

• Love 1

About Hook's cursed persona, Eddy or Adam (I don't remember which) said at PaleyFest that Hook would've been a sushi chef. They were joking of course, but maybe they would've given him something related to the ocean then.

LOL I had never heard that story before. This was the first thing that came to mind:

tumblr_lmqxtrIdCG1qbqrtb-1415727533.gif

I like the idea of Hook being in law enforcement, because it's pretty much the opposite of being a pirate. We'll probably never know what the writer's had planned for him from the beginning though. I don't think I would change the way he was brought into the show, or his romance with Emma. Like others have said, they're pretty much opposite sides of the same coin.

• Love 2

He'd have an assortment of cutlery attachments for his left hand, and probably would have flirted with Bo Peep to get the best deals on meat. He would have given Eric and the other fishermen down at the dock a hard time because they weren't giving him the best fillets, calling them thieves and unscrupulous pirates who didn't deserve to be seafaring men! Um, yea...

We were talking some in the villains thread about how Hook is kind of a foil for Rumple, that Rumple is a coward who acts out of fear -- even his quest for power seems to be about trying to make sure he has nothing to fear -- and how he might hate Hook because he once was afraid of him and Hook refuses to show fear to him.

But thinking more, there are a lot of other parallels: Both were abandoned by their fathers as children. Both served in the military and deserted, though for different reasons. Rumple was trying to avoid battle (I guess he technically didn't "desert," as he was invalided out, but he caused his own injury) while it seems as though Hook went into battle, and he left over principles. They both lost their first spouse/life partner (and had the same first spouse/life partner), and both had some role in raising the same boy that they both let go due to their own failing. Now they've both found love again. They're both outside of their own time/place. And yet they're not really at all alike in so many ways, which is probably why they clash -- they've got similar backgrounds but turned out to be complete opposites.

• Love 3

I imagine there's a great deal of resentment against Hook on Rumple's part. Hook is everything Rumple's not: handsome, charismatic, brave, a leader of men, an object of desire...Milah's defection was a real blow, but not the only issue.

I imagine there's a great deal of resentment against Hook on Rumple's part. Hook is everything Rumple's not: handsome, charismatic, brave, a leader of men, an object of desire...Milah's defection was a real blow, but not the only issue.

I agree that Hook is immutably, indominatibly courageous when Rumple remains a coward, and that's one major thematic issue aside from Milah. However, much as I love Hook, I don't consider envy to be Rumple's main driving force with how he treats Hook. I mean, Mr. Gold can rock the Dolce & Gabbana and silky gray hair, he just doesn't seem to be interested in fame rather than charisma being a weakness, neither of them seem to be after leadership positions, and Belle's got fewer walls up than Emma.

Nobody in the show has ever flirted back at Hook except for The Great Wall of Emma.

Compared to Emma, Belle has no walls. In no way does she challenge Rumple. Hook loves a challenge, and Emma is that in spades. It's another way in which the two men differ. I think the resentment comes less from envy than a complete lack of understanding. We fear what we don't know, and Rumple hides the fear with contempt. 

Also, despite having come from similar circumstances, Hook managed to get what Rumple seems to crave most -- power and respect -- without needing magic.

But I don't think that's the case, at least not currently. That's why the blackmail worked. Right now, Storybrooke sees Rumple as a fully reformed villain who proved himself by going on the mission to Neverland to rescue Henry and then sacrificed himself quite publicly to save the whole town, then later gave up his own freedom in an attempt to save his son. Now he's shown just how changed he is by giving Belle the dagger that controls him, and he's had her use that dagger to prove that he's telling the truth. Only Hook knows that the change is a lie. In contrast, to just about everyone except maybe Emma (and possibly Marian and Elsa -- as newcomers they don't know his baggage, and he's never had a chance to do anything bad to them) Hook is a pirate who hasn't done anything truly bad in a while and who has sided with the good guys lately and made himself moderately useful but hasn't really shown himself to be truly good. Most of his good deeds haven't been that widely known. The town saw that the Nevengers came back on the Jolly Roger, but he's generally been out of the action in any public confrontation. The Charming/Mills clan knows he went with Emma through the time portal and they know the things he did in Neverland, but no one but Emma seems to be aware of his greatest sacrifice. If he'd tried to tell what was going on with Rumple, the evidence was stacked against him. Emma might have believed him on pure faith, but Rumple could very easily have proved him wrong. Hook hasn't yet built up enough credibility to have people accept his word.

I think the only thing Rumple envies him for is his courage, that he doesn't need to bolster himself with magic to stand up for himself or face danger.

• Love 1
I think the only thing Rumple envies him for is his courage, that he doesn't need to bolster himself with magic to stand up for himself or face danger.

Or fight and die for someone he loves.  Rumple has never fought for anyone he loves.  He did it once, with very dark magic and the end result of that was his son running away from him.

• Love 1

But I don't think that's the case, at least not currently. That's why the blackmail worked. 

Oh, I didn't mean for it to apply currently exactly, it's just that at the point their lives intersected, Hook had achieved power and respect (Captain of a ship, loyal crew), while Rumple was the village coward, though they had similar challenges shaping their lives prior. Rumple had to turn himself into the Dark One to get power/respect/reputation, while it seemed to come naturally to Hook. I imagine that is part of the seeming resentment from Rumple.

Edited by The Cake is a Pie
  • Love 1
Oh, I didn't mean for it to apply currently exactly, it's just that at the point their lives intersected, Hook had achieved power and respect (Captain of a ship, loyal crew), while Rumple was the village coward, though they had similar challenges shaping their lives prior. Rumple had to turn himself into the Dark One to get power/respect/reputation, while it seemed to come naturally to Hook. I imagine that is part of the seeming resentment from Rumple.

Oh, that makes total sense! Yes, at the moment they first intersected, they were total opposites in spite of having similar backgrounds and Rumple had to get dark magic to be Hook's equal, even though Killian was considerably younger -- and even then, Milah sided with Hook over him.

I wish at some point they'd dealt with the fact that Bae and Hook were friends -- does Rumple even know this? That could have added to Rumple's resentment and would make the current situation even more tense.

I wish at some point they'd dealt with the fact that Bae and Hook were friends -- does Rumple even know this? That could have added to Rumple's resentment and would make the current situation even more tense.

After Hook stabbed Rumple with dreamshade, there could have been a perfect moment for that... while they were on the Jolly Roger, for instance. Neal probably wouldn't have called them "friends", but Rumple would definitely be enticed to know how Bae and Hook knew each other.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I think Hook and Bae were more than friends though or at least Hook saw them as more than that.  I sort of always liked the little touched on the show.  Hook kept Bae's cutlass, but he also kept the robe Bae was wearing when he arrived in Neverland because Wendy was wearing it when she met up with her brothers in SB.

Hook is not sentimental at all.  I'm surprised Rumple has shown restraint and hasn't used that kind of stuff against him.

• Love 1

Hook is not sentimental at all. I'm surprised Rumple has shown restraint and hasn't used that kind of stuff against him.

Rumple barely saw them together, and any time Neal and Hook were together in Rumple's presense, they weren't exactly friendly. The only time Neal mentioned Neverland to his father, he didn't say anything about Hook. If Neal had never left the Jolly, and made a life as Hook's sort-of stepson, that would have been a huge blow to Rumple, and reminded him of Milah.

I wish at some point they'd dealt with the fact that Bae and Hook were friends -- does Rumple even know this? 

I assume Neal gave some explanation of his ability to captain the Jolly Roger when he was sailing it back from New York. He probably didn't use the word "friends" though.

It's been my experience that the harder you have to work for something, the more you appreciate it once it's yours.

It's been my experience that it works on a spectrum. Like, there's infra-worth-it if I have to take a long commute route to one place that stocks a single brand of donut that I'm slightly craving, then if I decide it's not worth it before I go then it's not worth it. If I'm forced to take that journey for somebody that I haven't been loving lately, then that's not going to make the donut better or feel more like a true accomplishment. Some goals really can't be enjoyed.

What appears as ultra-worth-it isn't better. I mean, I don't know if Killian still loves Milah, but from what he was saying to Ariel about how love only leads to wasted years get me thinking that maybe he realized that was too much effort to avenge Milah's death?

So, there's a bell curve of when effort makes the end goal worthwhile, but it doesn't apply universally.

And I just really hope you're not talking about the development of relationships, because, while it's generally true that conflicts in a romance are what make it worth following through (although mood pieces can work, too, but those seem to have gone out of fashion)...another person isn't an accomplishment? It ought to be from the other person's willpower, not the first person's relentless persuasion, that sparks a relationship. I like Captain Swan when Emma's the one grabbing Hook by the collar--or even afterwards with Emma telling him "Be patient with me." Adorbs. However, I was so bored by it when Hook was making with the puppy eyes and Emma put her walls up, and I was definitely put off by any suggestions that Emma's personal boundaries were the problem, that she's interesting to Hook because she's uninterested, or anything to that extent.

Actually, what are we talking about here? Sorry, I thought your post had context.

Edited by Faemonic

I think it is interesting that Rumple has the family that Hook always wanted and Hook probably found rumple undeserving of them. I think the challenge to duel was a test to see if Rumple would fight for his family. To Hook fighting to protect those he love would be the bare minimum you would do for those you love.

• Love 1

I think it is interesting that Rumple has the family that Hook always wanted and Hook probably found rumple undeserving of them. I think the challenge to duel was a test to see if Rumple would fight for his family. To Hook fighting to protect those he love would be the bare minimum you would do for those you love.

I really don't believe Killian intended to duel with Rumple but was testing him. If he had so much as picked up the sword I believe he might have let Rumple talk to Milah. When he wouldn't make any attempt to fight to protect his wife Killian dismissed him as an unworthy coward and told him to leave in very obvious disgust.
  • Love 1

I really don't believe Killian intended to duel with Rumple but was testing him. If he had so much as picked up the sword I believe he might have let Rumple talk to Milah. When he wouldn't make any attempt to fight to protect his wife Killian dismissed him as an unworthy coward and told him to leave in very obvious disgust.

That was probably the deciding factor for Milah - Rumple put his own cowardice over her. Killian was giving Rumple one last chance to prove he actually loved his wife. He wanted to see if all of Milah's stories were true, and they were.

I wonder if Killian felt bad about leaving Bae behind, since he himself was abandoned as a boy? Obviously Bae would still have a father, but a cowardly one at that.

I wonder if Killian felt bad about leaving Bae behind, since he himself was abandoned as a boy? Obviously Bae would still have a father, but a cowardly one at that.

I think he did.  I think one of the reasons he told Neal he wouldn't pursue anything with Emma was a result of that so that Henry could have both his parents.

Christina Perri, who is a vocal Hook and Captain Swan fan, has been teasing a secret that sounds like it involves Colin. Somebody asked her to like a post if it involved Hook, and she did. Speculation is that he's in her next video -- which would explain why he was in L.A. I want this to be true so very much. How great is it to be in a position that you could just cast somebody you're a fan of in your video, LOL?

• Love 2

I totally agree, Souris!  I get such a kick out of her being a huge CSer.  Not to mention all the feels inducing songs of hers that apply so well to them.  *cries*  I will FREAK if he's in one of her upcoming music vids.  Talk about wish fulfillment!

• Love 1

Spoilers for tonight's episode. I was disappointed Emma did nothing to save Killian except push his heart back. What was the point of her figuring out somehting was wrong when she did nothing about it? We didn't even get an ILU from Killian. 

• Love 4

I posted about my disappointment in the episode thread, but yea, so much drama with basically no payoff for CS. This is the first time where I feel like tweeting the writers. I was afraid we wouldn't get to see Emma put his heart back, so at least that happened. Although I still can't figure out why the heck Emma wanted to go console Regina instead of her boyfriend! Ugh, I just can't even talk about this right now. I wasn't expecting a TLK, or even a declaration of love, but those characters deserved more than what they got right there.

• Love 5

You know, the most I was expecting was possibly an ILY from one of them, but I thought it was fine. Killy got his heart back, so he's safe and sound, which is all that matters. emma did sort of realize something was off a little too late though.

Bravo to Colin for that Diner scene. It was creepy, and I thought he nailed it.

Sad and happy that they did a six week time skip, though. Happy because of Henry for obvious reasons (age), but sad because that's six weeks of CS scenes we've missed out on.

I thought the diner scene was really well done, with the cuts showing Rumple. Colin did a good job of not acting like Hook. I loved that Hook fought through Rumple's control to hold on to Emma, whether it was to try to tell Emma something was wrong, or just because he thought it was the last time he would see her and didn't want to let go. It was kind of creepy how it was sort of Rumple who kissed Emma though, ick!

• Love 1

I thought the diner scene was really well done, with the cuts showing Rumple. Colin did a good job of not acting like Hook. I loved that Hook fought through Rumple's control to hold on to Emma, whether it was to try to tell Emma something was wrong, or just because he thought it was the last time he would see her and didn't want to let go. It was kind of creepy how it was sort of Rumple who kissed Emma though, ick!

The cuts with Rumple gave me the heebie jeebies, but when Killian held onto Emma's arm, I think he was desperately signaling for help. He also refused to parrot the last bit of Rumple's dialog, so I think the kiss was the most he could give her outside of being controlled. Very well done on Colin's part.

And now for the rant: Emma, your boyfriend had his heart ripped out and was tortured for days! He deserves a lot of TLC! Actually, HE'S the one you need to be doing shots with among other things!

LIke I said, I'm going to have to have my headcanon fill in a lot of happy stuff for any of this to be okay.

• Love 1

Sad and happy that they did a six week time skip, though. Happy because of Henry for obvious reasons (age), but sad because that's six weeks of CS scenes we've missed out on.

This is me too. I've wanted a time jump, but come on! I'm not disappointed that Emma didn't save Hook, as I wanted Hook to save himself, but I am disappointed that there was no emotional payoff and there likely won't be one until the next crisis. However, Emma's rushed re-hearting was totally in character for her. And now we must guess if she knows about the blackmail and the hand and the hatted fairies and the voicemail and that's a shame.

• Love 1

And now we must guess if she knows about the blackmail and the hand and the hatted fairies and the voicemail and that's a shame.

Exactly! That's what makes it all so disappointing. At least they could have shown a tiny long shot of them talking over at the docks--something to signal them talking it all out. 

• Love 1

He also refused to parrot the last bit of Rumple's dialog, so I think the kiss was the most he could give her outside of being controlled. Very well done on Colin's part.

I watched the scene again and didn't see any missed dialog. The camera showed the end of Hook saying "See ya around, love", which is what really gave me the chills. With that line, which was so un-Hook-like, and Hook grabbing Emma's arm, I don't understand why she didn't do anything more to try to figure out what was wrong.

LIke I said, I'm going to have to have my headcanon fill in a lot of happy stuff for any of this to be okay.

Same here! I will just live in my head for a few days until I convince myself that things happened differently. The one thing I can be consoled by is that at least I'm not a OQ or Rumbelle shipper, because they did have it worse in this episode!

ETA I also just noticed that Hook's eyes were open during the kiss, which makes me think the kiss was a command from Rumple. It also reminds me of that Bruno Mars song, "You had your eyes wide open, why were they open?"

Edited by pezgirl7

I know that some on Tumblr were doing a #SaveHook thing tonight. I'm going to start one in March #RespectHook. 

Goodness, yes! Emma blows hot and cold. I don't know that's what the writers were going for, but it seemed like Emma was again pushing Hook away because of fear, or guilt over Regina (again). Sooooo boring... It's like no one cares.

Edited by Rumsy4