Type keyword(s) to search

Killian Jones/Captain Hook: One Handed Pirate With A Drinking Problem

• Start Topic

List of 10 "Sexiest" Hooks and three are cartoons and two are from projects that haven't even been released yet? Ok then. I wasn't even aware there have been that many Hooks. It might as well have been just a list of 10 Hooks.

Edited by The Cake is a Pie
  • Love 1

Yea, they normally start at the bottom of a list and make their way to number one. Either way, they don't seem to understand that Colin can't just turn off the smolder, it's there all the time. :P I think it's cool he made the list, although when you think about, I don't even know if I could name more than 10 Capt. Hooks.

Will anyone else be watching Peter Pan on NBC tonight? I know it's going to make me wish there was a musical episode of OUAT. If they can do it on Buffy, they can do it on OUAT!

Count me in as someone who doesn't understand why Hooks who have not debuted yet, have made the list. I kind of laughed when they made a Han Solo comment about Pan's Hook, mainly because the movie people themselves claim he is an Indiana Jones type. Killy's much more Han Solo.

Indiana Jones and Han Solo are two completely different and distinct characters in my opinion. Someone needs to rewatch their Harrison Ford movies.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound bitter. That Han Solo comment irked me. Indy and Han are so different, and Pan's Hook definitely screams Indy.

Yes, I am watching Peter Pan Live! We'll have to discuss it in the OUAT vs Fairy Tales thread when it's done!

Kudos to Colin for making it that high up on the list. He does a spectacular job as Hook.

• Love 1

The list is really badly numbered and he is actually ranked third, behind Jason Isaacs and Garrett Hedlund, but what they say about him is so wrong. Anyway, a list about Captain Hook that doesn't have Dustin Hoffman as number one is plain wrong.

Well, they said sexiest, and as great as DH was in Hook, I'm not sure I'd call him sexy!

I haven't even read the VF thing yet, but it sounds stupid and badly done, as people seem confused about the ordering and inane comments. I suspect their comment page may be in for some comments from Once Hookers!

• Love 1

I think Hook is actually more of a Mal Reynolds than a Han Solo. Same basic character type (I've occasionally described Firefly as "Star Wars from Han Solo's point of view"), but the specific backstory elements line up better (since we're lacking an actual backstory for Han). We have the military man who loses his faith and becomes embittered when he's betrayed by his own side, then he becomes something of a rogue/pirate who answers to no one until he runs into a situation that forces him to pick a side, which gives him something to believe in again. I always felt like Han was just a cynical kind of guy who found something to fight for and believe in. I never got that sense of deep pain and bitterness from him that you see in Mal and Hook. With Mal and Hook, there's also that sense of a good man trying really hard to be a bad man because that hurts less than being good, while Han was more of the general rogue with a heart of gold. I don't think he'd ever really put much thought into good or bad. He mostly had just been selfish and hadn't looked far beyond himself (mind you, I'm at least fifteen years behind on expanded universe stuff, and I think I was in high school the last time I read the Brian Daly Han Solo novels, so I may have forgotten any details, canon or otherwise, that were given about Han's past).

I know there are Star Wars geeks on the writing staff, but Jane Espenson actually wrote for Firefly.

• Love 2

Not that I care much about a random online list... but it doesn't seem logical to rank someone as a hotter "Hook" just because their look is completely un-Hookish. Doesn't that go against the whole point of the list? (Okay, maybe I just have issues with Garrett Hedlund being cast as a blonde/generic rogue Hook in the new movie.)

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2

With Mal and Hook, there's also that sense of a good man trying really hard to be a bad man because that hurts less than being good, while Han was more of the general rogue with a heart of gold.

I know there are Star Wars geeks on the writing staff, but Jane Espenson actually wrote for Firefly.

I like the parallels with Mal and Hook, although I'd say that Hook can form a type all his own. He is hinted to have class and manners, which neither Mal nor Han Solo would ever even try to claim to. (Unless I'm remembering the Shindig episode wrongly.) Hook bows! Hook waltzes! Hook also knows how to socialize, as in to play that socialization game to make life easier (Cora the Heartless was your friend...riiight...and Hook's crew is, like, Smee and Some Other People), whereas the other two might be hermits if they hadn't found people who bonded with them so loyally: Chewie, even Jayne started off as out for himself and Mal started off with a better deal but made Jayne grow a heart without even trying like how can that even happen Mal is such a jerkwad.

Also, whatever classy, glossy glamor that Hook cultivates, or even when he shows a bit of Adorbs Puppy Killian, I actually consider Hook much darker in personality and history than even Mal. Mal goes to dark, angry places but generally finds his way back with Honor and Friendship--not that Whedon sugar coats anything, either, of course he never does and might even add angst and tragedy where it makes no sense to. But when Killian Jones goes off the deep end, I can't help but think that not even the denizens of R'lyeh can fathom him. It's like Hook can shut down and become a very charming killing machine.

Edited by Faemonic

Love all of your comparisons/parallels on Hook! I haven't seen Firely, so maybe I'll have to check it out someday.

I was just basing my opinion on Harrison Ford roles (or at least his 2 best known roles). I don't know how they got Han out of Pan's Hook in the previews, when he's even dressed like Indy. Killy gives off more of a Han vibe than an Indy vibe.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

Hey, it takes a lot of work to make the smolder happen. :) I think the one woman is brushing his side burns, or maybe even darkening them? I've wondered before if they put some kind of dye on his beard since it's normally ginger. 

I'm sure that Han Solo was what the writers had in mind because there's the superficial parallel of the rogue/pirate who joins the good guys when he falls in love with a princess. I just think that there are more parallels between Hook and Mal Reynolds, though that may have to do with the fact that even with Firefly's limited run, Mal still has more total screen time (13 episodes, one of them two hours, and a movie) than Han (three movies so far), so we know more about him and how he got to be where he was.

Hook is a lot more cultured and polished than Mal, who was rather proud of being a rube and looked down on culture and manners. We don't yet know if Hook got that polish from his upbringing or from being a naval officer. Their military experiences were different, since Mal was an NCO and an infantry grunt, and he seemed to have joined up for that particular war, while Hook was apparently a career officer.

While they both had a betrayal experience that changed the course of their lives, Mal's experience made him stop believing in anything. He went for a while just wanting to keep his head down and stay under the radar rather than caring about anything. But Killian has always been on one crusade or another. He just changed his direction from serving a king he no longer believed in to fighting a war against that king, then later he dedicated his life to revenge against Rumple, and now he's dedicated to the cause of Emma. We didn't see enough of the pre-Hook pirate days to know if he ever reached a point of deciding that his war against the king wasn't accomplishing anything so that he just went into generic piracy, but based on how aimless he was during the missing year, it seems like he doesn't function well without a cause or some kind of meaning in his life. He needs something to fight for.

On the loner vs. community front, where Mal built his own "family" in his crew while Hook's essentially alone in the world, it's hard to say without having seen more of the pre-Neverland days. It did look like that crew might have been pretty tight, and Milah seemed to be a bit of a Zoe (though romantically involved with her captain). It was just after losing so many people in Neverland that Hook seemed to have drifted away from any personal attachments. Now he seems to be kind of building that kind of community again, though it's still pretty one-sided. There are people he cares about and would include in his circle. It's just iffy whether they would include him in theirs. He deeply loves Emma, and she's just starting to realize and acknowledge that she also cares about him. He loves Henry as the son of Emma and Bae and the grandson of Milah, but Henry seems to mostly see him as someone to go sailing with (and even said he wasn't okay with Emma dating Hook). He seems to like David while David is iffy on him. He's even been pleading Belle's case to Rumple, while she probably still thinks he's pretty lousy. I think given his preferences, Hook would like to have a family-like crew. He's just hindered by his own reputation and past behavior, and it's easier to be a loner than to be constantly rejected. When David didn't know who he was during the time travel, he seemed to buddy up with him pretty easily.

It's hard to say which one is darker. I don't think we've seen Hook do anything as ruthless as kick a man through the engine or nearly put a member of his own crew out the airlock. On the other hand, I don't think Hook is nearly as mushy inside as Mal seemed to be, since he was a sucker for any hard-luck story. Hook bending over backward (literally) to retrieve Aurora's heart and give it back to her after taking it might parallel to Mal stealing the medicine, then giving it back after learning what it was for. The comparison isn't helped by the fact that I think most of what we saw of Mal would match up to season 2 Hook. In a way, Simon was sort of Mal's Emma, in the sense of being a person he was forced to respect who wasn't impressed by him and made him take a good, hard look at himself and the direction he'd taken. Then the final turning point of committing to a new cause and moving away from his old worldview came for Mal in the movie, when he decided to take a stand. For Hook that was his coming back to town with the bean and then offering to take them to Neverland and rescue Henry. We never got to see Mal in the next phase of his life, when he'd compare to season 3-4 Hook. Hook may have come across as darker in that particular season 2 phase because he and the good guys didn't have a common enemy and his enemy was someone they considered family. Mal hated the same bad guys, so none of his darker acts were aimed at people the audience was supposed to like (well, other than nearly airlocking Jayne and some of his nastiness to Simon).

• Love 1

While they both had a betrayal experience that changed the course of their lives, Mal's experience made him stop believing in anything. He went for a while just wanting to keep his head down and stay under the radar rather than caring about anything. But Killian has always been on one crusade or another. He just changed his direction from serving a king he no longer believed in to fighting a war against that king, then later he dedicated his life to revenge against Rumple, and now he's dedicated to the cause of Emma. (...) based on how aimless he was during the missing year, it seems like he doesn't function well without a cause or some kind of meaning in his life. He needs something to fight for.

True, that. Killian might live in the moment for the most part, or pretend to, just going drinking and gambling...but he might not be as good as Mal at staying under the radar, not for any innate ambitions towards fame or notoriety, but it might actually be difficult for Killian not to care about anything. I don't mean in the abstract like Mal cares about freedom, honor, and loyalty. Killian just seems to always have a goal that he's striving for. Even when Emma's started to reciprocate and they're on their date and can basically chillax, Killian just haaad to make a deal with the devil to get his hand back and a new wardrobe that he's sticking with even after, and a fancy restaurant reservation like come on Killian just get several bags of crisps and M&M's and marathon Assassin's Creed--Emma would still be happy. It's like Killian loves A Challenge so much that he'll make one even if there isn't one there. I hope he and A Challenge are very happy together and have hundreds of fat children.

Now he seems to be kind of building that kind of community again, though it's still pretty one-sided. (...) it's easier to be a loner than to be constantly rejected.

Aaand...that breaks my heart a little. Mal appreciates his family deeply, but I don't see Mal making an effort to keep them and necessarily making sacrifices for that would-be family, but just getting thwapped by a newspaper on the nose essentially. That could be more a general story thing than a character thing. I guess Whedon's families have everything to lose but nothing to prove, if that makes sense. A&E's families fall apart at the slightest provocation.

Then the final turning point of committing to a new cause and moving away from his old worldview came for Mal in the movie, when he decided to take a stand. For Hook that was his coming back to town with the bean and then offering to take them to Neverland and rescue Henry.

Mal has to aim to misbehave. I think it just comes naturally to Hook.

I was way more into BtVS than Firefly, so aside from the Hook/Han Solo parallels, I see parallels btwn Hook and Spike, and btwn Emma and Buffy (to a lesser extent), and how they relate as couples. Emma's the Savior and Buffy's the Slayer - both of them experience a lot of stress and heartache, and everybody expects a lot from both of them.

Spike understands Buffy about as well as Hook understands Emma. He's sexy and flirty and playful (for the most part). He was a good man once (William the Bloody Awful Poet), went evil, then fell in love with Buffy and gradually rediscovered his better self.

Buffy trusts him almost instinctively, even though she keeps saying she doesn't, and resists her attraction to him for a long time.

There's more, and the analogy isn't perfect, but it works for me.  

• Love 3
Aaand...that breaks my heart a little. Mal appreciates his family deeply, but I don't see Mal making an effort to keep them and necessarily making sacrifices for that would-be family, but just getting thwapped by a newspaper on the nose essentially. That could be more a general story thing than a character thing. I guess Whedon's families have everything to lose but nothing to prove, if that makes sense.

I've noticed that the Whedon shows tend to have a strong element of "found family," where the group of friends becomes a family-like unit. On Buffy, it was a tight group of friends that had been through so much together. On Angel, it was the Island of Misfit Toys thing, where all of them were misfits or outcasts who found each other. With Firefly, some of them did seem to have families (Jayne's mom sent the hat!), but there was a lot of distance involved, so the crew became like a family. A friend pointed out how often on both Angel and Firefly there were scenes of them sitting around a dinner table. Once Upon a Time has actual blood families, but we seldom see them all seated around a table, sharing a meal. Really, the only time I can think of that looked like a family dinner was the one Emma invited Hook to that he declined and then watched from afar with his spyglass. Anyway, with Mal, I got the feeling that his crew was more fond of him than he was of them. He'd do anything for them, but he was trying to resist seeing them as a family even as they (particularly Kaylee) saw him as family. With Hook, it seems to be the other way around, where he sees them as his people but they don't yet really claim him.

Mal has to aim to misbehave. I think it just comes naturally to Hook.

It depends on how you define "misbehave," and I really don't think that's what that line was about anyway. I think Mal's more "naughty" -- more likely to do moderately bad or mean things for fun. Hook may be more ruthless, but that comes back to that man on a mission, always having a crusade thing, where he'll do whatever it takes to fulfill his mission, but no more than that. He may take some enjoyment in a good fight or in a successful heist, but it doesn't seem like he does it for the sake of fun. Mal took a lot of glee in his crimes and in thumbing his nose at the establishment. Then again, Hook is much, much older. He seemed to have a bit more mischief in him in his pre-Hook days, like the way he taunted pre-Dark One Rumple. If he hadn't already matured some before he ran into Rumple again, the double whammy of losing Milah and losing his hand seem to have grown him up quickly.

Hook was a very conspicuous part of the Charming family group in White Out, just as Spike was very much a part of Buffy's "found family" (mostly as the Black Sheep) in a s5 ep titled, appropriately enough, Family. Hell, Hook got more screen time in that last family scene than poor Snow.

As a longtime Spike fan and former Spuffy shipper, I don't think Hook is all that similar to him, personally. Yes, they both have the "bad boy" persona, but when Hook talks about "good form," I actually believe he means it. It's what made him give the heart back to Mulan (and if it bettered the odds, then that's even better) and kick the fish back into the water even when he was still 100% in villain mode. I love Spike, but pre-soul Spike did not do anything because it was the right thing to do. He did it because it was better for him or because it helped Buffy. Even when he helped Buffy in Season 2 it was so he could get Dru back and keep his supply of Happy Meals with Legs. Compare this to Hook's turnaround moment in Season 2, when he came back just to honor the memory of someone he already thought was dead. Not to say anyone else's take on the character is invalid, that's just my personal interpretation. Spike lacks a character trait that has been evident in Hook from almost the beginning

I find him more of a Han Solo type myself.

• Love 4

As a longtime Spike fan and former Spuffy shipper, I don't think Hook is all that similar to him, personally. 

Ah, I thought I was the only one who doesn't find Hook and Spike similar! A lot of people compare them, but I just don't see it.

• Love 2
Ah, I thought I was the only one who doesn't find Hook and Spike similar! A lot of people compare them, but I just don't see it.

I don't see it, either. I love Hook, but I despised Spike, and his relationship with Buffy made me kind of ill (I wasn't on Team Angel, either. None of the romantic relationships on that show really worked for me). Spike took an enjoyment in mayhem that I don't see in Hook. He enjoys matching wits and skill, and he'll do what it takes to achieve his objective, but even at his worst it didn't seem like he ever found slaughtering fun.

• Love 2

It took a bit longer in his case, given that he was a soulless vampire, but Spike stuck around after The Gift to watch over Dawn and fulfill the promise he made to Buffy (whom he knew to be dead at the time). He had no idea Willow and the others were planning to do what they did.

I did say it wasn't a perfect analogy, but there are a combination of factors at play. Some of them are fairly shallow - a certain physical resemblance (lean and wiry, sparkly blue eyes, killer cheekbones), some go a bit deeper (impulsive and prone to violence), some go deeper still (how far he goes for her, how far she goes for him).  

It is subjective, however, so of course YMMV.

Edited by Dianthus
  • Love 1

Having Spike fall in love with Buffy (and her having feelings for him too!!!) killed that show for me and I didn't enjoy another episode after that, which was extra painful because up until then I had watched every single episode from the start. I loved him as an unrepentant villain and enjoyed that he had to reluctantly help out the Scooby gang even when he clearly would rather kill them all. I would parallel Spike's redemtion more closely with Regina than Hook. Regina is the one who had done numerous horrible things to the "good guys" for multiple seasons, but suddenly she has decided to be "good" out of love (for Henry) and the good guys go, "oh, ok, all is forgiven and we love you now then." My reaction to Spike & Buffy would be the same as my reaction to Swan Queen, if that ever happened.

Hook, however, has been pretty clear from the get go that he is a mercenary that will join whatever side benefits him at the moment. He is "evil" when he is working with/for the villains, and he is "heroic" when he is working for the good guys. I wouldn't call him reformed so much as motivated. Before, he was motivated by revenge, and now he is motivated by Emma. It benefits him now to help out because it gets him closer to Emma. But if one day Emma dumps him/rejects him/breaks his heart, I could see him joining the dark side again if there was something in it for him.

It benefits him now to help out because it gets him closer to Emma. But if one day Emma dumps him/rejects him/breaks his heart, I could see him joining the dark side again if there was something in it for him.

I disagree. I don't think he turned his ship around, went to Neverland, or saved David because it got him closer to Emma. Especially that last one as he didn't even want her to know about it. Even in 3B he just kind of helped for the sake of helping. He never tried to say "I did this for you, Emma, why don't you love me?" In fact, some of his help and advice wasn't what Emma wanted to hear. 

It took a bit longer in his case, given that he was a soulless vampire, but Spike stuck around after The Gift to watch over Dawn and fulfill the promise he made to Buffy (whom he knew to be dead at the time).

I like Spike and I agree that he did a good thing there, but he still did that for Buffy and in Buffy's memory. 

There's a difference there, IMO. I probably wouldn't love Hook quite so much if he had come back in Season 2 because of Emma. I love that he came back because he was trying to right the wrong he did to Bae. I'm not hating on Spuffy or the Spike character. I just think Captain Swan is what Spuffy might have been, if BtVS was a different show and if they hadn't already established rules about soulless vampires. It's unfair of me to be so harsh on Spike, I know he was just doing what soulless vampires do. I just don't think Hook's evil was ever near the evil of a soulless, slayer-killing vampire, nor do I think early Captain Swan was ever as antagonistic as early Spuffy,

• Love 1

Before, he was motivated by revenge, and now he is motivated by Emma. It benefits him now to help out because it gets him closer to Emma. But if one day Emma dumps him/rejects him/breaks his heart, I could see him joining the dark side again if there was something in it for him.

I think "The Jolly Roger" pretty much debunks this idea. Hook had lost Emma and thought he'd never see her again, so Emma was essentially not a factor in his actions. He tried to go back to piracy and found that he'd changed so much as a person that it just didn't work for him anymore. Although he clearly missed Emma and it was affecting him badly, his own outlook on life was different. I'd also say that Hook had already realized that his life was meaningless long before he was in love with Emma. His line in "The Evil Queen" where he talks about how his life is empty and that once he gets his revenge he'll have nothing makes it pretty clear that Hook had taken a look at his life and understood that what he was doing was not good for him. Emma helps to give him a purpose, but I think if he lost her, he wouldn't suddenly revert to a bad guy. Unless Emma was murdered by someone, where I think Hook may attempt another vengeance quest.

• Love 6

Hook would be appalled at most of the things Spike did as a vampire, it's true. However, I don't think Spike's story is more analogous to Regina's. For one thing, Spike has Hook's self-awareness (something Regina sorely lacks). Nor did the others cut him anywhere near as much slack.  

Spuffy was much darker than Captain Swan, but BtVS was darker over all, what with its horror elements and Whedon working out his personal issues. Spike was instrumental in Buffy's development, however, often telling or showing her things she didn't want to hear or see, and getting her to deal with her own inner darkness.

In the ep Family, Spike does something good for Tara by proving she's not a demon. It's only a couple of ripples out from Buffy, but it's a start. Plus, it costs him (the chip fires). He didn't have to do what he did at all, but he did, because he didn't want to see Tara and Willow parted and he knew that a chip-induced headache was a real possibility.

In the end, Spike rediscovered his better self, just like Hook.

I would parallel Spike's redemtion more closely with Regina than Hook. 

Now I want to write a crossover shipping Spike and Regina.

I disagree. I don't think he turned his ship around, went to Neverland, or saved David because it got him closer to Emma. Especially that last one as he didn't even want her to know about it. 

Yeah, that, "I didn't do it for you, David *wink*" made no sense to me even if I totally shipped Hook and Emma. I think it was more likely on the walk back down that Hook told David about Liam.

• Love 1

Coming back with the bean, going to Neverland, and saving David weren't motivated by any love for Emma, that's true, but it was partially inspired by her.* His telling David he didn't do it for him was obviously (to me) inferring he did it because he was Emma's father. He even tells her later he wouldn't let her dad just die.

For the record, I'm not even a "shipper." (ugh, hate the term). I would have been fine if they kept Hook as a minor villain who helps the heroes out when there's something in it for him. Actually, I wish there was some way to still do that even with a relationship with Emma.

Sorry, I just like my bad guys unredeemed. >:)

*I went back and rewatched those eps because my memory was a little hazy and you're all right, he was mostly acting in Bae's memory. But my point is still that he is currently on the side of good because there is something in it for him. A pirate still needs "treasure" to hunt.

Quick-ish random thoughts:

The Vanity Fair list. If your criteria and title involves sexiest, smoldering would be a primary plus, so to complain about a "sexiest" Hook having too much smolder makes the list maker look somewhat...dense. :)

And while Hoffman's portrayal was campy fun, sexy it wasn't! At all.

Christopher Walken was a major fail, though his dance moves were classic Walken-laid-back cool, he delivered his lines as if he were a drugged out, burned out amateur doing an impression of Johnny Depp doing an impression of Christopher Walken doing a bored, drugged out version of Johnny Depp! I couldn't watch what was supposed to be a brilliant casting move but was instead, an embarrassment.

Jason Isaac's however...uh...yes, mama! Tssss. I can't find fault with his wickedly dark and steamy portrayal or his number 1 ranking!

I feel that O'Donahue has distinctly created his own luscious package of the dastardly pirate even though parts of his portrayal combine the original literary version of a deeper thinking James Hook, the brash sass of Solo , the swashbuckling of Flynn and the wit, determination and endless courage of Indy.

But the smoldering (grin) . He owns that all on his own.

And I really miss the coat :(

• Love 3

I think the article was more of a what can we "write" about this week than anything that had any kind of thought process behind it.  Much as I love Tom Hiddleston and think he's a pretty brilliant actor, his James Hook is a freakin' cartoon!!!

And I really miss the coat :(

Ditto.  I miss the whole outfit, the black velvet vest which he hasn't had on nearly enough.  But I really miss the big coat and I think the actor might miss it too when it's the dead of winter unless they give him a different jacket. 

• Love 1

"Reggie" couldn't handle being with Spike. The first time he called her on her sh!t would also be the last.

When Spike realized he'd maybe been killing again under the First's influence, he called Buffy and told her he thought something was wrong. His worst suspicions confirmed, he offered himself up to her judgment. He took responsibility for his actions. He didn't beg for forgiveness. He felt guilt and shame for what he'd done, even tho' he wasn't in full control of himself.

This is very much like what Hook is going thru with Rumple right now. I'm hoping they'll be able to restore the people he 'Hat'ed, to relieve him of that burden (can't imagine we've seen the last of Blue).

Tangled was on TV this afternoon, and I think that Flynn is another very Hook-like character and possibly even an inspiration, right down to the smolder.

I had a thought from something I brought up in the timeline thread about how long Hook would have been known in the Enchanted Forest world as "Captain Hook" -- was he back from Neverland before the curse long enough to have developed that much of a reputation and a rivalry with Blackbeard, considering how much of that time was apparently spent either drunk or working for Regina or Cora? And that made me think that it would be fun if Killian Jones had become a kind of figure of legend, one of those people who really lived but whose exploits became almost folklore, to the point that it's hard to say how much was true and how much wasn't, like Robin Hood, some of the famous pirates from our world, or even someone like Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett. Then it would be funny if he came back to his home world to learn that he was some kind of legend, and of course no one would believe that he really was Killian Jones because that was centuries ago and besides, he's nothing like the stories. I could see him getting exasperated with the stuff they got wrong. But would he be a legendary villain or a folk hero like Robin Hood? I suppose it would depend on how the king he rebelled against went down in history. If he ended up winning the war and securing his line, then Killian would be a legendary villain with his bad deeds exaggerated, but if the king was deposed and his bad deeds became known, Killian would be a something of a hero.

• Love 2

it would be fun if Killian Jones had become a kind of figure of legend, one of those people who really lived but whose exploits became almost folklore, to the point that it's hard to say how much was true and how much wasn't

Considering how J.M. Barrie originally wrote Captain Hook as having long, curly black hair and a touch of the feminine, I have it as my headcanon that some Fairy Tale Land bards managed to get Killian confused with Milah somehow.

• Love 1

Considering Hook was originally willing to leave Emma and Storybrooke to its fate, and sail off with the Jolly Roger during one crisis. his plea to Rumple to spare Emma and Storybrooke showed how far he has come. He returned to honor Bae's memory that first time, but this time, it was a simple plea. He's tried to reason with Rumple all along, reminding him that Emma is Henry's mother, and that Belle truly loves him, etc., to no avail. Now all I want for him is ro regrow the brain cells he lost when he tried to blackmail Rumple for his hand.

• Love 5

I find it sort of sad that Hook who has always fought for his survival and gone through a lot has given up on himself because he pretty much knows that he is one squeeze away from his grave.  But then I look at the greater picture and I'm like the last things he's doing is ensure that Emma has a peaceful, quiet life like she wants by trying to have Rumple back off and leave Storybrooke alone.  And I'm like how can anyone not like this character just a little bit.

• Love 4

I like how calm he is, despite thinking his days are numbered. I also like how he is trying to calmly reason with Rumple. I think someone mentioned before how he is sort of acting like Rumple's subconcious? In this case he's the angel that appears on Rumple's shoulder, trying to convince him to be and do good, only to be swatted away with a fly swatter.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

BuddyTV picked Colin as the #2 Sexiest Man of 2014 (out of 100!). Nice!

I really would have liked to see more diversity, though. That's an awfully white list. (Though maybe that says more about the lack of diversity on TV than the selection committee.)

• Love 3

A&E have again confirmed (there be spoilers in the linked article) that they wanted Hook right form the start, but couldn't work out the rights to Peter Pan until S2. 

Originally, we wanted to bring in Captain Hook (Colin O’Donoghue) in season 1 and see Neverland earlier, but there was a rights issue that wasn’t cleared up until the end of season 1. Which is why the Hook intro was at the beginning of season 2.

and

Hook is an example of a character that we knew wanted to be a big part of the show.

Since they really wanted Hook in the Show, Colin's portrayal and chemistry with JMo must have impressed A&E enough that they immediately upgraded him to regular. I think Graham might have been sort of a placeholder for Hook when they were unable to get the rights to the Peter Pan stuff in the beginning. Who knows--Hook's cursed personality may have well been Sheriff of Storybrooke! When the Curse broke at the end of S1, he would have gotten his memories back, and continued with his quest for revenge in S2, similar to how it played out on screen.  

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 3

I'm glad that they didn't have Hook from the start. Considering that it was Executive Meddling that saved Prince Charming, and the tragic, tragic fate of Graham (who, at least in one version during the brainstorm, was supposed to be Sherlock Holmes,) we might have not gotten to enjoy Killian Jones for this long.

It does give me hope that we'll enjoy this character on the show for longer than indicated (Track record of dead hotties! Emma's Kiss of Death!)

I'm glad that they didn't have Hook from the start. Considering that it was Executive Meddling that saved Prince Charming, and the tragic, tragic fate of Graham (who, at least in one version during the brainstorm, was supposed to be Sherlock Holmes,) we might have not gotten to enjoy Killian Jones for this long.

I got the exact opposite impression from the article (A&E have mentioned this before too). I don't think Hook would've been killied if he had been on the Show right from the start. I'm sure they had flexibility in planning things. For instance, it is likely that just when things started to heat up between Emma and Cursed!Killian, the Dark Curse would have broken and "Hook" would have been back, focusing on his revenge again, effectively derailing the romance until the end of season 2. Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 4

I'm also glad the character happened the way it did, but I admit I'm intrigued as to what his cursed persona would have been. It would have been interesting* to (potentially) have had a character that was "good" while cursed then he and everyone else realised he was a villain when it broke, and having to reconcile those two sides. Really, there should have been way more bad guys in Storybrooke unleashed when the curse broke.

*Or, yknow, interesting until season 2 actually played out and they inevitably didn't explore that dichotomy in any meaningful way. 

• Love 1

I've always thought that if he had been cursed, Hook would have been Killian Jones pre-Liam's death.  I also always thought that Regina might have given him a "good" life since he "killed" her mother.  I mean she made King George the DA probably because he was her ally against Snow and David.