Type keyword(s) to search

Killian Jones/Captain Hook: One Handed Pirate With A Drinking Problem

• Start Topic

I jumped on board ouat at the beginning of the 3rd season. I had binge-watched the first two seasons on netflix, and had first been introduced to the idea of CS before I had been introduce to hook on the show, if I remember correctly.

I liked him just fine though. I didn't have any problems with him what-so-ever. I actually appreciated his villainy.

I liked that he was non-magical and could still be considered a bit of a threat (unlike nowadays where every villain has to have magic in order to stand a chance). He was resourceful, and I liked how he would swap sides between team villain and hero. I loved his relationship with Cora. They're my favorite evil brotp.

He was always a villain-lite compared to everyone else they were facing, but a villain none the less. he also seemed to be the sort of evil lackey that would outlive his boss (which he has done on two occasions--Cora and Pan).

I liked that he was confident enough to use his good looks to his advantage, but it's kinda sad that it turns out that it seems to be one of the few things he's actually confident about.

He had glimpses of good in him; he wasn't evil enough to let Aurora's heart through the portal. And he wouldn't have double-crossed Emma if she hadn't double-crossed him first.

Was it bad that he shot Belle? Yes. But honestly, if I was in his shoes I would have done the same thing. It was smart and calculated. Rumple is immortal, so what's the next best thing? Hit him where it hurts; aim for his loved ones.

I liked his moments with Emma and young Baelfire too.

All in all, I was perfectly happy with Hook in season 2.

• Love 3

I thought one of the best scenes he had was with Belle when he explains why he didn't destroy the shawl and goes in details over what Rumple did to Milah.  It was a really great scene.

That was a powerful scene. It explained his motivations and his heart, not to mention that's the best on-screen chemistry de Ravin has had with anyone else on the show to date. 

• Love 1

Yeah, see, I didn't know Leaf Lady was a job when I was going to school.  I wouldn't have gone to grad school if I had known that.  I can also imagine my parents' face if I told them that I wanted to become the leaf lady on filming sets.  They might've sent me to a shrink or an exorcist.

• Love 2
Maybe that's the sort of job you just fall into?

Probably.  I find it interesting the number of people who have random jobs on tv or movie sets.

My friend's brother-in-law works on movie sets back where I'm from, he's a sound tech, but I got to go on set a couple of times and he always brings back clothes and all sorts of things back after the movie is done which is pretty cool.  

That was a powerful scene. It explained his motivations and his heart, not to mention that's the best on-screen chemistry de Ravin has had with anyone else on the show to date.

You know, that's not something I find they do all that well anymore.  I don't know if it was done better because he is (especially now) one of the main characters.  I'm an absolute sucker for Hook.

• Love 2

Side eyeing someone who is dating your daughter and has a bit of a, hmm. colorful past is one thing.  My father and brother side eyed my husband (and he does not have a colorful past) a for a bit when we started dating and it's annoying, but understandable.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it in a normal context, but the Charming family is not normal. My dad messing with my boyfriends is one thing (and my dad once decided to clean all of his guns when a boyfriend came to visit, so I get it), but Emma and her parents don't have that kind of teasing relationship. There's still a tentativeness between them, and as such, seeming disapproval of a romantic interest can make things highly uncomfortable for all involved. Emma may know intellectually that it's teasing, but still worry about how much truth is in the teasing and fret about how that affects things. Hook is stuck knowing how much David has disapproved of him in the past and continued actions from David can make it awkward. He also would not want to screw up Emma's relationship with her parents. The dynamic is just off. The show tries to play it off as cute and fun, but if you truly look at the situation, it's really not fair to Hook or Emma for David to do anything that paints the current version of Hook in a negative light.  Making Emma defend Hook to her parents is not a good thing. The best would be a more neutral approach.

There's still a tentativeness between them, and as such, seeming disapproval of a romantic interest can make things highly uncomfortable for all involved. Emma may know intellectually that it's teasing, but still worry about how much truth is in the teasing and fret about how that affects things.

I don't think either one of them cares what Snowing think.  Emma told David point blank that he was trying to keep her from Hook.  We all joked about that because of David's reply, but her parents (and by that I mean Snow) encouraging her to go out with Neal and give him a second chance and her doing exactly the opposite and then Snow lamenting about how Emma did not listen to them?  Good thing she doesn't listen to her parents when it comes to the person she chooses to be with.

And Hook told David point blank that he and Emma and whatever relationship they may or may not have was basically none of his business.  Not to mention my favorite zinger..."It's a good thing she doesn't need your parenting."

Even in  the season finale last year, Hook mentioned to David how her parents didn't approve of him.  He seemed disappointed by that, he thought it complicated things, but he got over it rather quickly when he put David back in his place when he asked him about his intentions towards Emma.  

They're grown-ups.  Emma has a kid of her own and Hook has had the longest relationship on the show.  I mean it's something we don't really mention, but he has been with Milah for what?  Close to a decade maybe, living with her in close quarters?  They lived on a ship, it's not like they could escape each other after a fight or an argument.  

• Love 1

It comes across as entitled of them. Snow and David apparently are such control freaks that they've been wanting to rob their daughter of her right to make decisions since before she was born.

By constantly throwing shade at Hook, David is showing how little he trusts Emma's judgement, which again fits in with the theme of Snow and Charming not having enough faith in Emma.

• Love 2
Hook has had the longest relationship on the show.  I mean it's something we don't really mention, but he has been with Milah for what?  Close to a decade maybe, living with her in close quarters?  They lived on a ship, it's not like they could escape each other after a fight or an argument.

Hook and Milah does seem to have been the longest-lasting and happiest relationship we've seen on this show. They must have been together for around eight years. Henry Sr. and Cora were married longer, but that didn't seem at all happy or healthy. They definitely weren't peers or equals. We didn't see enough of Eva and Leopold to judge. Hook and Milah were together longer than Snow and David have even known each other, not counting the curse years.

It's almost like they can't think of anything else to write with David. Every time you think they'd have to have moved past it, it comes up again. I could have seen it through most of season 3, but then after the Prince Charles adventure and David finding out who that was, it starts to get silly. Then it came up again in "White Out" and Hook very firmly put him in his place and vividly demonstrated how much he cares for Emma (with Emma being very receptive to that). So it coming up yet again after that just makes David look like a jerk. Surely they could come up with something else for him to say to or about Hook. I do think that maybe he was projecting this time, since he knows his and Snow's encounter with Maleficent ended up making them do things they would never have done, and I guess he figured that if he and Snow were turned, then someone like Hook might be even weaker. But seriously, how many portals does the man have to jump through to reach or help Emma before her father decides that maybe he might be good for her?

• Love 2

While I was seriously delayed in seeing beyond the first 20 minutes of this episode, I had a wacky thought spurred by the realization that Rumple's remarks about killing Hook when he had the chance seem even sillier with the knowledge that Hook was apparently frequently back in that world during the long Neverland stay, and events in the episode only reinforced it. What if Hook can't be killed? Not that he's truly immortal in a Dr. Henry Morgan or Capt. Jack Harkness way, in which he revives and mortal wounds automatically heal, but if there's some fate or destiny thing that he has to fulfill, and therefore he's not allowed to die until he does it, which means constant subtle intervention by a guardian angel/fairy godmother type figure who's utterly exhausted, stressed out and overworked.

I don't know how I've missed the activity on this thread. I was so disappointed and said so in my post of the episode were Rumpple took Hook's heart. I was hoping their was a reason that Rumple and Cora had never pulled his heart from his chest. I was hoping the reveal was going to be that his mother is Calypso, a goddess and his dad, Davy Jones. Like his father, Hook is a bit of an obsessive romantic.

Also I really hope whatever issues Henry still has with Hook are addressed because, with Emma presumably gone for awhile, it would be the perfect time to solidify a kind of father/son relationship so they can be stronger as a family when she gets back.

I wasn't paying very close attention to the last episode, so maybe I missed it...did Emma go somewhere at the end or was there a scene where they talked about her leaving town? I saw she ran out of August's room chasing after the author guy, and lost him in the town square, but that's all....right?

(edited)

That scene with Belle when he tells her about Milah is one of my favourites, especially when compared to their present relationship because Hook has changed so much and Belle now knows how wrong she was about Rumple.

The incompetency thing is interesting because if you think about Hook's goals and what he actually achieved, he is in fact very competent, it just takes him longer than most (good thing he has all the time in the world). He wanted to become a pirate, so he became the most feared name on the high seas. He wanted to portal-jump to Neverland and live long enough to discover the Dark One's only weakness, which he did, surviving for centuries. He wanted to leave Neverland and then go to Storybrooke, which he did through working with other villains. He wanted to hurt Rumple through Belle, which he did. Then his ultimate goal: killing the Crocodile. He poisoned him with lethal Dreamshade and literally the only thing that stopped him succeeding was Snow freaking WHITE deciding to murder someone (not that Cora didn't have it coming). And then he succeeded in his new goal of winning Emma's heart and everything else he did for her :)

So in reality, Hook was reasonably competent as a villain, but he APPEARS less competent, probably because the show just ships Captain Floor so hard.

This so much. I never thought of Hook as ineffective. I thought he was very resourceful given that he was "outgunned" in every way. He has no magic and no one backing him ( in fact both the heros and villains have nothing but disdain for him at the time) but he came closer than anyone in killing Rumple. Yes he shifted sides, but no matter how raw the deal he got he found a way to make it work for him. He was the one that figured out how to get to StoryBrooke, not Cora. After being betrayed by Regina and Cora, he found Rumple on his own. After being betrayed by the heros (team princess), he found a way to become relevant to Cora.

Personally, I miss Season 2 Hook. He made me laugh out loud all the time and didn't take himself too seriously (his goal yes). I loved when he told the princess to fight it out to see who would go with him on the beanstalk and not to be afraid to Really get into it. I loved his scenes in Tiny. Now I appreciate how much he supports and loves Emma. I thought the "I have never seen you fail" speech was off a the charts romantic because he is telling her how he sees her and it's all beautiful. I just wish they would let Hook do more than be Emma's puppy. He is a great character to have others interact with because he is a self aware villian becoming a hero with a wicked sense of humor.

Edited by kitticup
  • Love 2

Everything's OK with Emma! There's just been a lot of speculation about certain spoilers at the moment, but nothing is 100% confirmed so don't worry :) If you want to find out more, check out the spoilers thread!

Gotcha, thanks! I really thought I had missed some scene or something. I only had half an eye on the tv because Snow and David's speechifiying was boring me to tears (and they were being annoying dingbats)...I was peeking up from my crossword puzzle only when I heard Hook or Emma on screen.

Souris posted this in the spoilers thread, but this is from an ET interview with Sean Maguire.

Speaking of friendship, we chatted with Colin O'Donoghue not too long ago and he mentioned he'd like more bromance scenes between Hook and Robin. Would You like to see that? Maybe even a Captain Swan and Outlaw Queen double date?

SM: I would love that! I was actually just at Colin's place yesterday, and he's actually an amazing cook. He and his wife, Helen, had me and my wife over and Jennifer Morrison as well, and we all just had a lovely Easter Sunday together. Colin and his wife are some of the best people in the world and we just absolutely adore them, and Colin was saying yesterday, "I love this -- this is great. It's like family." We both come from a very similar kind of background where being a part of a big family, and having big Sunday dinners, and all of that is kind of what we sort of grew up doing. So we're kind of replicating that with Colin and Helen and I just can't say enough nice things about them. We just completely love them and they have become like our second family up there. So yes, I would love to have an episode where Hook and Hood are hanging out, and also because they're both kind of like scoundrels, and kind of a bit like Han Solo, both of them. So seeing them hanging out or going on a double date, I think it'd be really fun and since Colin and I get along so well, I'm sure we'd have fun and it would make for good stuff on screen.

Of course Colin is a great cook. Is there anything he can't do? Life ruiner.

I love that he gets along with his costars so well.

• Love 5
(edited)

I loved that story. It gave me the Awwwwwws.

But it also made me want pictures, LOL! Somehow I imagine Buckley was forced to wear bunny ears at some point.

Edited by Souris

I'm a little late to the convo, but I adored Hook from the get go, mostly due to his similarity (IMO) to another flirty sexy bad boy in a long black coat. He basically had me at "Hello." That Colin's an amazing actor and so utterly adorkable is just icing on the cake.

• Love 3

So, last night felt like the last straw for me regarding the whole "one handed" comments we have been getting about Hook.  Season 3 had at the very least 3 comments like that.  

It's like seriously, show, can we stop with this already?  He is the only character who has an actual handicap (I'm not counting Rumple's self-inflicted injury which he doesn't have when he's in a magical environment).  Hook doesn't let his lack of two hands set limits to what he can and can't do.  He forges forward.

I find the whole thing a bit disheartening that Pan, Regina, Zelena and even Emma brought this up.  If they were going to explore his mindset about it, like when he mentioned that he wanted to hold Emma with both hands, if they actually told the viewers exactly how he feels about that...does he feel less because he has only one hand, does he feel whole, has he completely accepted his lack of a left hand...but they're not doing or saying anything about it.  Instead, they used him getting his hand back after some 300 years as a plot point for something terrible so much so that he'd rather have his hook.

They need to stop bringing this up if they're not going to explore anything about it.  

One-handed lover?  Really?  Pirate lover would have worked too.

• Love 7

I thought The Apprentice did a good job of showing that Emma doesn't care about the hook - she didn't notice he had his hand back when he came to pick her up and she didn't notice either when he had the hook back and the end of the ep.

• Love 1

I thought The Apprentice did a good job of showing that Emma doesn't care about the hook - she didn't notice he had his hand back when he came to pick her up and she didn't notice either when he had the hook back and the end of the ep.

This has nothing to do with Emma though and how she sees him.  This has to do with the recurring commentary.  I don't think he gives a fuck because it comes from people he doesn't give a fuck about, but still, the fact that he wanted his hand back should be telling enough and I know this show tries to be funny, but I didn't think that was funny, like at all.  More like here, let me roll my eyes, been there, done that with the comment about the one hand.  Can we just move on?

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 3

It's 15 minutes by train from me... But I have plans!

I don't know what "plans" you already have, but I'm having a hard time imagining they're better than seeing Captain Hook play guitar live on stage.

Funeral or wedding? Stay. Anything else? Ditch.

• Love 8

Ha! It'll have to be next time (there has to be one...)

I was going to say, if you wanted to see Drogheda you should look for 'Love is the Drug' a TV series set there about ten years ago.

And then just thinking about that I googled it and turns out Colin was in it.

http://m.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/entertainment/local-actors-bask-in-tv-spotlight-27108473.html

(And also this thread which seems to be mostly complaining about the Drogheda accents or that the accents aren't Drogheda enough!)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=201865

And also this thread which seems to be mostly complaining about the Drogheda accents or that the accents aren't Drogheda enough!

I'm curious, what is that accent supposed to be, and does his normal speaking voice qualify? My ear isn't very tuned to the various flavors of Irish accent because I suspect I've mostly been exposed to Hollywood's idea of an Irish accent (faith and begorrah!). I might be able to discern Belfast from somewhere else in Ireland, but not Dublin from Cork, or whatever. His normal accent is definitely not Hollywood Irish. It seems a lot gentler, but is that because acting training and learning to do other accents, like British, German, and American, have softened it, or is that a regional accent?

And I still want Hook to bust out an American accent -- either while being "under cover" or teasing Emma -- just because Hook seems like the kind of person who would listen well enough to imitate accents and because blending in with the locals wherever he went would be a survival skill. I have this occasional mental fanfic running in my head when I get bored in which Emma, Hook and David have to do some adventure in the Enchanted Forest, and Hook he surprises David and Emma by sounding just like them when they're talking to someone else because he wants to blend in.

• Love 1

My boyfriend is damn lucky Colin is married. The guy can sing, play guitar, and can bust out some Doobie Brothers? Damn it, he's perfect.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 6

Why is there only only one video and a few photos? I would have thought more fans would have went. Maybe more will surface tomorrow. I'm still waiting for a high quality sounding video of Colin singing, but from what I've heard, I never would have guessed that his singing voice sounded the way it does. It's good, it just doesn't really match his talking voice.

Edited by pezgirl7

God bless those Irish shipmates posting all this stuff online for the rest of us.  I've pretty much ceased to function rn.  Is there anything he's not perfect (and always perfectly humble and modest) at?  I mean...??  You know when you're just genuinely so glad when great things happen for good people?  Colin's good people.  He deserves all the success he's gotten, and more.  

Edited by Lieutenant
  • Love 6

I see you girls acting drunk and dancing really close to the stage but secretly taking a selfie with Colin in the background. I see you.

The guitar nerd in me wants to know what kind of electric he's playing. It looks like a fairly basic Strat. Also, have to give the guy props for playing a pretty clean version of that All Right Now solo. I can't imagine he's had much time to practice guitar licks with the show just recently wrapping up only a week or two ago.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 3

Cool!

I wish more and more that we could get a short scene of Killian singing a sea shanty, or even just humming one for like 3 secs. That's it.

I think ABC needs to turn OUAT over to the creators of Galavant for one episode.  Someone cast a spell and musical episode.

And now that fic I never finished (or started really) that began with Hook dangling, drunk and upside down from the riggings of the Jolly Roger singing 'I am a Pirate King' is doing a musical number in my head again.  Damn it.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 4
I wish more and more that we could get a short scene of Killian singing a sea shanty, or even just humming one for like 3 secs.

Let's see ... given the current plot, there could be a raging Charming family argument started in the loft while Hook's there. He tries the "Um, I'll just be leaving now" thing, but Emma tells him not to go anywhere. So instead he does the "I'll just be invisible over here on the other side of the room while the rest of you work this out" routine and goes over to the other side of the loft, near the bassinet. Then baby Snowflake starts fussing, and Hook mutters, "Oh, not you, too, mate," and starts singing softly (maybe a sea shanty or a bit of "Fathoms Below," since it likely would be top of mind after being around Ursula). And of course, that's just when an awkward lull in the argument hits, so everyone else hears it, and not only does it calm the baby, but the others are so stunned that they forget the fight for a moment. During which he gets self conscious in the silence and decides he really has this important, um, thing he has to go do, elsewhere. But Snow gets in his way and tells him he's not going anywhere until the baby is asleep. David starts to protest, but Snow cuts him off with a glare, and Emma ignores her parents to sit with her boyfriend as he manages to get her baby brother to sleep.

Okay, sappy, yeah, but I think still in character and fitting the current plot and the way the characters are currently being written.

• Love 6

Okay, sappy, yeah, but I think still in character and fitting the current plot and the way the characters are currently being written.

This show is about freaking fairy tale characters. Sappy should be one of the main ingredients.

Seriously, why doesn't this show do more domestic family scenes??

Edited by Curio
  • Love 4

I finally watched some of the band videos, and I have to say that's a pretty impressive tenor. He gets some power in the upper register. We could use about half a dozen of him in my choir. Let's get the cloning machine going.