Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Wiendish Fitch

A Few of Your Favorite (and Least Favorite) Things

I thought it would be a fun way to get to know one another would by listing our likes and dislikes. Don't worry about putting anything into any order, let it be a stream of consciousness. Easy, right? Not to be a mother hen, but let's keep this friendly and casual, and not mock or needlessly question someone's lists.

My Likes:

Watching old movies with my husband

Fall and winter

Reading

Chocolate

When something I'm shopping for has that glorious red clearance sticker

Dogs

Coffee

Wristwatches (yup, I still wear 'em)

Flannel pajamas

Writing

Knitting 

Crewel embroidery kits (I have to buy them on ebay, because they don't make ones with yarn anymore)

Cold cereal (I maintain Kroger has the best corn flakes)

Long walks on a cool, clear day

Traveling

Buying out-of-print books on Amazon

Avocados

Disney, Pixar, and Studio Ghibli films

Dislikes

Rude customers

Onions

Abrasive, entitled, conceited behavior

Bratty kids and snotty soccer moms

Squirrels

Bugs

Snakes

Chili peppers

Discussing politics

Traffic

Passive aggression

People who talk in movie theaters during the movie

The Civil War being referred to as "the War of Northern Aggression" 

Extremely hot and humid weather

• Like 3

My Likes:

Rainy nights (when I'm safe & cozy at home)

The rare times my DH & I watch the same TV show (Fargo!)

Snow fall (I only know one other person who is not looking forward to spring...love winter)

Winter!

A page-turning thriller

Sunday crossword puzzle

Champagne

Whipped cream & raspberries w/ French toast

Comedians who make me laugh

English actors

Calamari & shrimp

Dislikes:

Hot weather

Bad drivers

Interstate highways

Lack of real good pizza

Travel on planes today

Meanness

Windchimes

Barking dogs' owners

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2

Witty one-liners

Fall or winter

My significant other's  laugh. Making anyone laugh

Reading. Any genre.

Discovering new TV shows/participating in fandom/posting at PTV!

Cooked apples and french vanilla ice cream, topped with pie crumble

Exercise

Little household chores. Doing laundry or the dishes. Puts me in a very zen place.

Organizing my closet by outfit so I never have to think about it in the morning.

Rewarding myself after I've conquered an anxiety attack/done something with confidence.

Dislikes

Assumptions

Humidity

Math

Rural living

Edited by AltLivia
  • Like 2

Zoos

Finding someone who enjoys talking to me

Discovering a beautiful, magical song on a film/show

My Littlest Pet Shop

Stuffed animals

Fairy tales

Lemony Snicket

Furs

Pajamas/blankets

Receiving packages

Taylor Swift

Spas

Milk and honey

Lavender

Making lists!

Being excited to devour a book

Teen angst

Cabins...eating bbq chips and smoking *one* cigarette on the porch (I never smoke otherwise)

Getting drunk and watching horror movies with a crush or friend

Clue and 13 Dead End Drive board Games

Dreaming/Day dreaming

Casper

Olsen Twins- also Double, Double Toil and Trouble

Planning a vacation by using yelp, etc reviews

Walking around Chicago

Julia Robert's laugh

Falling in crush with a movie character

English gardens/mazes

Fantasy lands

Theme parks

Looking at beautiful houses and fields

Foie Gras and cheese and jam and fruit and cracker plate

Going to watch ballet

Masquerade parties

Halloween

Thomas Newman soundtracks

90s family movies

Looking at my Christmas tree lit up in a dark room

Gingerbread

Nat King Cole Christmas song

Children's picture books

Wandering around a beautiful abandoned or empty place

The idea of having an identical twin

Doing anything with my dad as long as he's off his phone and not losing his temper or making fun of me

Dislikes

Mean, selfish, stuck up people

Being attacked or told how I feel

Gossip

Feeling obsessed

Psychiatric units

My legs, skin

Coloring my hair

My dad leaving me

The fact that my cat will die

Arguments

Punishments

Smell of garlic or a refrigerator/any bad smell

Irritating noises

Drugs

Cheating

Swinging parties

Any party where a lot of people know each other

Being cold

Upset stomach...when not alone.......

That life isn't magical. There are no talking cats. There are no journeys involving witches and spells. There is no prince to save me. I can't fly.

• Like 1

I like the stream-of-consciousness idea.  I've decided to go with 15 each.  (Some of my dislikes are already in Pet Peeves, so I'll try not to repeat.)

-cats

-feminists

-reading

-spicy food, cheese, sausage, shellfish ... I could be here all day with food

-American football

-cocktails and red wine

-the Bill of Rights

-travel

-sleeping

-intellectual curiosity

-home improvement projects

-symmetry

-informed debate

-solitude

-universal single-payer healthcare

Dislikes:

-hearing women referred to as girls

-mornings

-kids

-crowds

-snakes

-conspicuous consumption

-egg yolks, beans, potatoes, mustard, yogurt, and tofu

-any publication that has printed the phrase "post-feminist," "liberal media," or "mommy wars" in all seriousness

-delegating

-light beer

-disorganization

-perkiness

-bottled water

-motion sickness

-privatization of government functions and public resources

• Like 2

Eek. I'm guilty of using "girls." I also say boys. I don't know why. I guess it's habit. When I bought a hamster in middle school, I wanted a girl. My mother rolled her eyes in the store and loudly said, "she means female!!" :( I'm just sort of babyish overall. I'm not very perky though :)

• Like 1

I sometimes use the word girls when referring to women, but it is a context thing.  If they are friends and it is a casual conversation, I would use it.  As I grow older, the group of females that qualifies as "girls" to me grows.  When I was in my 20s, a woman in her 30s would be a woman or lady.  Now that I am on the far side of 30, a woman in her 30s is a baby!

I use the term boys to in referring to men.  Admittedly, this has been used in a mildly derogatory manner by self (as in telling my former boss to "play nice with the other boys" when going to a meeting that was all male).

I like relaxed days that I can spend the bulk of the day in my pajama bottoms.  Every once in a while, we'll get a weekend day like that and I'll notice mid-afternoon that the entire household is still in pjs.  Those are good days!

I like when I find the perfect gift for someone - something that they love, but never would get for themselves (and not because of price).

I like sending and receiving real mail from a friend.  I might send a friend random things (past items have included a box of brownie mix, a comic strip cut from the paper and some pretty fall leaves). 

Edited by DeLurker
  • Like 1

I like when I find the perfect gift for someone - something that they love, but never would get for themselves (and not because of price).

That is a great one! I love that as well.

And conversely, I hate when somebody makes it perfectly clear they hate a gift given to them.

The sight of...

ripe strawberries in a black bowl

a big full moon on the horizon

The sound of...

wind in the trees

birds singing in the morning

The smell of...

lilacs in bloom

my house after I bake brownies

The feel of...

a hot shower after a sweaty workout

stroking a purring cat

The taste of...

a real bagel with cream cheese

chocolate (anything)

The experience of...

one of my favorite songs popping up on the radio on my commute to work

a belly laugh I just can't make stop

• Like 6

Right now all I can think to post is that I like homemade mashed potatoes with lots of butter and Carolina Treet mixed in, in a big bowl with a spoon. And to eat it while watching tv.

Had to go look up what Caolina Treet was (BBQ sauce).  I'll take my potatoes without sauce, but they are a wonderful food.

Very nice list Qoass!

I'll have to add my awesome pillow - it is down, old, unsightly looking and still the most wonderful perfect pillow for me.  I'm constantly at risk for losing it because members of my immediate and extended families are pillow thieves.

And my favorite t-shirt - soft, oversized and, sadly, tattered from years of wear.  It's on the fragile side now, so I reserve it for special occassions when I really really need the psychological comfort of it.  It was a gift from one of my most favorite people in the world sent (by mail!) to me when I was going through a particularly rough time so it is like getting a hug from him everytime I put it on.

A small container of sand from my favorite beach given to me 30 years ago (by the same favorite person).  I was a serious beach-goer and spent countless hours there day and night, rain or shine.  It was my sanctuary when things got tough/rough - no matter how big a problem I was dealing with, that is where I went to feel better.  It may never have fixed a problem, but it always made me feel better.

My cousin Mikey, because no matter how old we get, our mental age reverts to about 14 when we are together.  I have no doubt that he would do anything for me and no doubt that I would do anything for him.  We don't need to worry about saying the wrong thing or talking too bluntly, because even if we are telling each other "you're delusional and completely wrong" we also know that the other is going to support us no matter what.

• Like 2

Stormy weather outside and me under the duvet, with a great book and a pot of tea, or with a good movie to watch, or with a good lover, or with a good friend on the phone.

When fall starts and I get to progressively wear long coats, wools, scarves and my favourite silk lined leather gloves (which cost a bonbon when I bought them in a chichi shop but still bring me joy many years later)

Lunch with a friend, unscheduled

Reading

Writing

Meeting someone you just "connect" with

Scalp massage

Neck massage

Shoulder massage

Dislikes:

Mobile phones/smartphones: you're deemed weird when you switch them off because you want to walk in a park undisturbed during your lunchbreak. You are supposed to be reachable 24/7 and that is just not right. You're supposed to answer anytime and be dragged out of whatever you enjoy doing during your free time. I switch off mine often enough, and while it doesn't exactly makes me popular, people get used to it. And I still haven't encountered a situation where my not being available had had dire consequences (caveat: I am NOT a doctor)

People you have lunch with who look at their smartphones more often than they look at you (you can see a pattern there)

Families who lunch and every one of them is either on their phone or iPad or what have you - and they don't talk to each other during the whole meal

People you see on holiday, they jump in the pool, hug and make an adoring smile for the selfie, like they're the most-in-love -couple that ever was, then once the picture is taken get out of the pool, not smiling, and look like they don't even know each other  

• Like 4

Math

Computers and programming

Video games

Playing piano

Birdwatching

Nature photography

Sci-fi, horror and fantasy genres

Friendly debate

Puzzles and brain-teasers

Reading

Documentaries 

Physics

Reddit

Cooking

Talking to people who are interested in the same things

Dislikes:

Lightning and thunderstorms

Public speaking

Parties

Fashion and makeup

Being misunderstood

Narcissism

Driving

Humid weather

Astrology

• Like 1

Mobile phones/smartphones:

Not many people have my cellphone number, and those who do know there are only a few times when it makes sense to call it.  I don't even know where it is half the time, and it's usually in need of charging; basically, I just take it with me in the car should I need to call someone I'm on the way to see to explain that I'm going to be significantly late.  Otherwise, if I'm not home or at the office, then I don't want to be talking on the phone -- leave me a message (not on my cell phone, as it will be days before I look at it) and I'll call you back when I'm done doing whatever it is I'm doing.

Like you said, I don't want to be reachable 24/7.  And I'm not; people can deal with that or move on, but I am available for work only during work hours and for social chatter when I am home puttering around, not when I'm out doing something.

And if someone is waiting for an important and timely piece of information, I have no problem if, while we're out to eat and chat, they let their smartphone beep at them when email comes in so they can quickly check to see if that's the info they'd been waiting for.  But if you just can't go more than fifteen minutes without checking your email or seeing who has updated their Facebook page with the breaking news of what they had for dinner, then stay home and stare at your phone.  Or at least go out with someone other than me; I'll give you one polite request to put the phone down and interact with the person actually sitting across from you, and after that I'll ask for the check and a doggie bag and you can sit there with your true love, your phone.

• Like 7

Wristwatches (yup, I still wear 'em)

As do I, and two of my three are the old-school kind you have to wind every day.  One was my grandma's (a jeweler who fixed something on it for me said it's from the late '30s and, indeed, I've seen similar styles on characters in old movies) and the other is an old one of my mom's she gave me in my 20s after I borrowed it for the hundredth time.  I've had quite a few people come up and ask me about them over the years (sometimes complete with the disconcerting experience of a stranger grasping my wrist to ask, "Is this an antique watch?").

I didn't write that, but I do love Studio Ghibli!

I love when I see on tv a baby in the same receiving blanket that the hospital snuggled my two in.  I still have a few from the hospital, but the one I see most frequently is this one:

$_35.JPG

• Like 2

So today all sorts of irritations/annoyances keep popping up in my face and making it hard to ignore them...so to offset them, I am thinking of some super nice things as a result of my brother telling me one:

1 - This is the one my brother told me:  His son is being homeschooled this year because he had to go to Stanford in October to have a major surgery done (there's only about 3 places in the US where they can do the surgery).  Anyway...even with the insurance their exposure to medical costs was close to $100K and my brother took a 4 1/2 month leave of absence to be with his son 24/7.  The kids at his former school organized a fundraiser - a loose change collection - for him and just sent him a check.  Between the change collection and donations, it was almost $2,000.  Those kids are awesome!

2 - When my son (autistic) went to a public school run preschool for children with disabilities and some with economic disadvantages (think Headstart) there was a little girl in his class, Alexis, that had a lot of challenges - most of which were not going to be overcome.  My son took it upon himself to look out for Alexis - making sure she had out the right classroom supplies, making sure she got her snack or a turn on the swings, bringing her over to me when I picked him up or dropped them off so I could greet her and give her a hug...he even tried to hit the speech therapist one day when Alexis got really worked up because she did not want to do a session (the therapist and his teacher both knew he was just reacting to Alexis' distress so he just got a good talking to).  At the time my son did not talk at all and had severely impaired social skills.   Alexis' social skills were pretty impaired herself so there wasn't much he got back from it, but he did it the whole year because he felt Alexis needed help.

3 - When my son was about 6 1/2, they were doing some work on the city water pipes running in front of our house.  He was fascinated so we spent a lot of time watching.  The guys took the time to explain what they were doing and answered a 1,000 questions with so much care and patience (at the time he had just started talking so speech was very slow but he understood technical matters at probably a freshman in college level).  A few years later one of them knocked on our door - he had gotten some official NASA posters from a friend of a friend specifically for my son since he remembered my son's interest in space.  It was such an unexpected and totally selfless thing.

So for all the crappy stuff that happens - sometimes via thoughtlessness and sometimes intentionally, there are genuinely awe inspiring moments that inspire joy and appreciation that is never going to fade for me.  And I am going to continue to try to be part of that web of unprovoked thoughtfulness/giving.

• Like 9

Stuffed animals

I LOVE my stuffed animals! I'm 40 years old and my friends still give them to me.

DeLurker, your post was a perfect example of one of my favorite things: goodness. I actually think there's a lot of it in this world and we all have the possibility to do more. It doesn't have to be a big deal, just be a little nicer every day.

My likes:

fall and winter (but not cold weather)

hot weather (but not summer)

sleep

wine

champagne

macarons

cats

cheese

hotels

beaches with pools

reading

washing dishes

fireplaces

s'mores

perfume

my friends

smelling my mom's old suits I never washed after she died

my dislikes:

rude people who don't consider others

people who don't consider all sides of an argument, regardless of agreeing or not. Just listen.

picking things up (I like cleaning, just not the whole pick up part)

sweeping

• Like 4

I only have a few stuffed animals left, but they are critically important to me!

I love memories of the random stuff my friends and I did when we were younger.  Silly things that did not hurt anyone, but amused us to a disproportionate level.  A partial list:

Changing the words to popular songs;

Stealing specific letters from light up signs (like movie signs - they were the probably 8 x 10 at the largest on thin plastic);

Leaving cryptic messages on other friends' lawns with stolen letters;

Walking the 7 miles home from the beach instead of taking a ride;

Roaming the hotels along the beach and seeing if we could get on the roofs at night; and

Driving to the edge of the Everglades at night with friends, parking and seeing how long it takes swamp sounds to freak out a car full of teenage girls (not long).

• Like 1

Peanuts (both the food and the Charles M. Schulz comic strip)
Newspapers
Quite a few old television shows
Some video games (like Sonic The Hedgehog)
Cats

Dislikes:
FOX News Channel
Hot weather
Dogs
Bees
Spyware

Politics

callie lee 29, if I serve you wine and cheese afterward, which you can enjoy in front of the fireplace with my cat and any book in my library, will you come wash my dishes every weeknight?

• Like 2

Yikes!  Needed to take my daughter shopping for new sneaks today.  Did a quick search online to see if the preferred brand and style were carried anywhere locally (they weren't) so the best bet was the mall.  Without thinking about how crowded and noisy it would be, we went to the mall on a Saturday afternoon.  And it was a teeming mass of humanity.  I like humanity, but in much smaller doses.

And I can only blame myself for not reaching the obvious conclusion that malls on weekends are packed and therefore unpleasant.

• Like 3

I try to go out mostly during the regular work hours. Today, I went to Dallas to visit a friend. The restaurant was really crowded. But, we were outside, and, I don't know...it was just really sunny and amazing outside. I'm happy I went. The worst mall shopping is before Christmas. Yikes. No parking anywhere.

Glad you had a good visit - the weather has been nice too"

I get overwhelmed pretty easy and don't deal with crowds well, do I was mentally wiped out after the mall excursion. It was just poor planning on my part.

But today was low key and my 14 yo daughter and I have started to try to fit in a walk most nights. She's at that age where things get tough and she's trying to cope with all the chemical/hormonal surges. The walk helps - it gets us outside, no topic is off limits but it is not a time for serious parent-child chats either, burns up a bit of leftover energy, ...it is a very nice way to wrap up the day.

• Like 1

If any of you live abroad and/or travel often, you might feel this too: wherever I go, any mall seems to carry the same brands that I'm not particularly interested in (because they are so ubiquitous!) There was a time, not that long ago, when I was very happy to buy a sweater in Tokyo or a silk pyjama in Hong Kong (for myself or as presents), because they were unique, but now you can find them anywhere and it's taken off some of the fun of traveling or at least shopping while abroad for me!   

Okay, this is TOTALLY random but I just heard something on the news that mentioned Ban Ki-moon (current secretary general of the United Nations) and hearing that name just makes me smile.  It just sounds so joyful!

• Like 3

Ban Ki-moon (current secretary general of the United Nations) and hearing that name just makes me smile.  It just sounds so joyful!

I used to feel the same way or almost when hearing "Kofi Annan".

I like Fareed Zakaria. I had a chameleon named after him. Zak for short.

One of the many nicknames for my cat Emma is Kofi Emma. All she wants is love and world peace, so it seems fitting. Also, the dignity of that name offsets the ignominy of another, Piggy Puff.

One of my favorite things is my cat. She will be 19 in August and I've had her for all but 9 weeks of her life. She's in pretty good health and wants nothing more than to snuggle with me and eat. I try to truly appreciate the time that I spend with her since there's no telling how much is left. She's one pampered cat.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 6

There are smells that I just love and that make me happy.

For instance, waking up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee (which also means I won't have to make it). Or, years ago, after a long night partying, the smells out of the oven of the bakery that was just opening, and where I would go to get still hot buttery croissants before crawling into bed. Or using a shampoo you haven't used in years, and suddenly there pops the memory of that time, when you used it, and were so happy anticipating seeing the one you were in love with later that day. Smells that make me happy in the morning - grapefruit shower gel in summer, French vanilla in winter, monoï oil, rose scented body cream, or the citrus one I'm using these days (not together, obviously :-) one good one at a time...).

Smell of a roast cooking, smell of a cake baking, smell of my cat's fur (if I could bottle it, I's be a billionaire - it is just so perfect), smell of my son (as a baby, later, when I woke him up on a hot day and he smelled like good sour dough bread), well smell of sour dough bread obviously, smell of the man I love, which is impossible to describe but makes me feel I'm where I'm supposed to be, smell of the earth when rain starts, smell of this perfume I used to wear and forgot how much I loved and how it was and still is just me, smell of fruity pipe tobacco, smell of clean laundry, and so many more that bring joy to my day.

If any one you has read Diane Ackerman's A Natural History of the Senses, you'll easily guess which sense/part of the book was the most powerful for me :-)  

• Like 1

Those are nice...I have very few smells that I have such strong happy memories/emotions tied to - more things that I have a strong distaste for.  Those create a very vivid and distinct reaction in me.

beach

pool

spending time with friends

traveling

going out to dinner

hanging out with mom

free stuff

finding a good bargain

movies  

concerts

music

winning at the casino

dislikes

people who ask personal questions (here's one "do you have any kids"  my reply "no." Followed  by "why not?" REALLY???)

when someone says "what's your real job"

rude customers

rude wait staff

people who post unflattering pictures of their friends on Facebook  

going out to eat with people who want to take picture while your eating

losing at the casino

• Like 1

Dislike - when milk starts to go bad well before the Besy By date.

Like - when milk is still fine a few days past the Best By date.

Dislike - when a plastic container that is recyclable does not have a cap that is recyclable too.

• Like 2

You've not only accepted, but embraced your percularities.

And clearly your husband has done his cost-benefit analysis and is ok with it!

ETA:  Because sometimes the spelling gene takes a few hours to kick in.

Edited by DeLurker

Okay, this one is impossibly obscure but I absolutely adore the theme song to the Linoleum Knife podcast.  I like the podcast but I looooove the opening.

Thank you!

When I was a kid my Mom alway made me a bunny cake like this for my birthday.

This one is fancier because mine never had the coconut flake and only used licorice for the whiskers, but you get the basic idea. 

And to this day, I love every one of those cakes and I love Mom for making them for me just because they made me happy.

• Like 3

I've got to say for all the bitching I do about how poorly people drive, if there's a dog's head hanging out the car window, all is forgiven!

• Like 1

• Cats
  • My Kindle
  • Laughing with good friends
  • Jeopardy!
  • Lasagna
  • My GPS

Dislikes:

• Campaign ads
  • Licorice
  • Dr. Oz
  • Humidity
  • Robocalls
  • Country music (living in TN, I know I'm in the minority)
Edited by pandora spocks
  • Like 2

• Cats
  • My Kindle
  • Laughing with good friends
  • Jeopardy!
  • Lasagna
  • My GPS

Dislikes:

• Campaign ads
  • Licorice
  • Dr. Oz
  • Humidity
  • Robocalls
  • Country music (living in TN, I know I'm in the minority)

I'm a cat person too (glad you like them!), and also do indeed like Jeopardy!, albeit I rarely watch it. I also share your dislikes of campaign ads and humidity.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2015 at 3:15 PM, Qoass said:

I've got to say for all the bitching I do about how poorly people drive, if there's a dog's head hanging out the car window, all is forgiven!

Qoass - Awww...I loved your post!  Just last weekend as I was stopped at a light while taking my beloved Goldendoodle (as seen in my avatar) to the groomer's, Maizie was, of course, hanging her head out the window.  I looked over at her & saw that the driver in the car in the next lane over had his iPhone out & was taking her picture!  I laughed & gave a "thumbs up" to him, of course!  He laughed & said "THANK YOU!"  Yep -- I hate asshole drivers, too, but if they've got a dog in the car they get a free pass from me, too! 

P.S.  I'm certain the ASPCA would be horrified that I allow my puppy to hang out a car window lowered half-way due to the danger to the dog.  However, weather permitting, I just can't help myself in denying her!  Of course, once I get a green light, I call her back & put the window back up...until the next red light.  :)   But NEVER on an expressway!!!!

Edited by Maizie131
  • Like 2