Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: S06.E12: 2009 / S06.E13: Dreams Come True

Tara Ariano

Of all the things that aggravated, someone's character love affair with Sue tops the list. I'm not so sure she's not the real reason we ended up back in high school. I love Jane Lynch; but gawd, there was too. Much. Damn. Sue. It was distracting, silly, and time taken away from characters I'd invested in and wanted to follow.

Knowing the actors behind those characters are living life and moving on to better things takes away some of the sting, but geez.

• Love 1
But hey, Mercedes walked out of this show as one of the few characters I still liked. And she still got success and not stuck with Sam (in my head she's got someone better). In my heart, she finally got to win.

Same here, but it still saddens me that I ended up feeling that way about Sam.  He started off as such a great guy. Then again, there were so few characters that I still liked by the end, my overall feeling was just relief that it was finally over.

But they came back for stupid shit this season, and I just wonder...why?

So they could use their faces in the promos.

Let's not even pretend they did it "for the fans" or whatever. They needed the originals back in order to get some last minute fandom buzz and social media comments from original gleeks about how great a show it was (back in the first couple of seasons).

• Love 2

I think they probably got a lot of negative feedback after Naya and Heather both said their goodbyes on twitter because the wedding episode was their last one. Up until that point, I think most of the fandom assumed that everyone would be back for the finale, similar to 100/ND. But then Naya and Heather said they wrapped on the show for good, and then later Dianna said she was done for good, and fandom was like, '.........wait, what?' So then RIB+ scrambled to get as many people back as they could for one last number.

That probably explains why it was such a hot mess, too. They had no time for dance rehearsals or anything like that because all the people who had already wrapped were off doing other things, so they just told everyone to run around and have fun.

• Love 4
I think the last season instead of being all about fucking Sue should've been about sending the characters off into the sunset. They could've picked a small group for each episode, give them an ending and then next! Will and Rachel could've had the last episodes. They want to do too much and end up doing a mess.

Yes, in a Final Season (and they KNEW it was the final season; many shows don't have that luxury) they should have tied the "new kinds" stories in to the older ones.  Maybe each week could have focused on an Alumi teaching something to the new kids (I mean, the show was allegedly "All About the Choir Room", right?).

I don't get the focus on Sue in the final season. She hasn't been a driver of the story since Season 2, realistically, and the Sue-centric episodes seemed almost filler to me, when I'm more interested in the progression of the teens. (I think the new teen cast had potential that was not utilizied fully due to the schizo nature of the writing on this show.

And don't get me started on Becky... While I'm happy that Lauren POtter can hopefully use this as a springboard for the future, if there was ever a pox on this show, it was Becky. (What teen would EVER get away with trash-talking teachers like she does?  Down's Sydrome [or any other disability] is NOT a free pass to be a bitch, in ANY reality!)

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 3

I'm with those who think there's no need to wrap every character up in a bow or map out their futures...but that it's weird and jarring to do it for some and not others, especially when some of the people left out were arguably more central characters than some of those included. And yeah, it'd be one thing if say, Mark and Dianna weren't available to film this season at all while people like Kevin and Jenna were, but...that wasn't the case. Dianna appeared in two episodes. If they knew it would potentially be her last, they could have given her a sendoff. They shlepped Mark back for four episodes of nothing, with his final episode being a flashback to when he was a bully. I didn't watch the episodes, but I saw one of those gifsets of "firsts and lasts" on tumblr for him, and his very last line on the show ever was mocking Tina's stutter. I mean. And if they hadn't done the final song (which clearly wasn't planned in advance) it would have been his final appearance ever.

And while Dianna may have had scheduling conflicts with the finale, Mark clearly didn't. They could have brought him in for even just a scene or a song or something, and then he could have said something about Quinn. If they knew going into the season they'd have limited time to work with the original cast, they could have planned for that and filmed stuff for the finale back when they were filming the Homecoming episode. They didn't. They just didn't care.

Edited by SNeaker
  • Love 2

The funny thing was, they gave Puck focus in "The Quarterback" and " 100", the most pivotal episodes of Season 5, which in hindsight probably meant they thought they were done with him.

Still doesn't explain bringing him back just for nominal fill in, unless FOX insisted they utilize the old Regulars for marketing purposes. I recall they used Mark/Puck for the Season 6 promotional photo shoot.

ETA; What I mean by wrap up is a short episode SL featuring the characters; not necessarily spelling out their future endgame.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

That's the thing, they knew all along they had 13 final episodes and giving all these characters a decent wrap up with focus seemed such an obvious gimme.

Yes. This final season really shocked me with how awful the storylines were when it should have been one final blaze of glory just to prove they still got it. I would have even been satisfied if they focused on each character's life per episode and then all get together for a reunion and one last group hug and song. The end.

Instead, we got a new class (great kids, but why should we invest in them since this is the end?), way too many songs from VA, yet another Klaine breakup instead of showing the life of an engaged couple, Sam/Rachel which went nowhere, and Sue. So much Sue.

I think RM was giving old fans the finger for jumping ship, when he should have given a gift to us fans who stuck to the end. It was an insult to the actors too.

• Love 5

Still doesn't explain bringing him back just for nominal fill in, unless FOX insisted they utilize the old Regulars for marketing purposes. I recall they used Mark/Puck for the Season 6 promotional photo shoot.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

• Love 3

Of all the things that aggravated, someone's character love affair with Sue tops the list. I'm not so sure she's not the real reason we ended up back in high school. I love Jane Lynch; but gawd, there was too. Much. Damn. Sue. It was distracting, silly, and time taken away from characters I'd invested in and wanted to follow.

I think there was a very stubborn someone behind the scenes who was adamant about the show being about the format, about the Glee club in McKinley, and so it felt to me like the focus on the other characters and NY post graduation was done almost reluctantly, except when it came to Rachel and Kurt. I think they moved the show to NY full time as a desperate attempt to see if ratings could improve and so when they didn't they just reverted back to what they always thought the show was: Lima, Mckinley, the choir room. They weren't going to let the show end with Glee club over, so I expected them to go back at some point.

But holy shit, I don't understand what all the Sue was all about. What a way to waste so much time on nonsense when they knew it was the last season.

(all of these are my impressions and I could be wrong, of course).

• Love 1

That's the thing, they knew all along they had 13 final episodes

If they knew that, then maybe they shouldn't have introduced the new kids at all and just focused on wrapping up the storylines for the old timers, and even giving us some update for the kids who were culled in seasons 4 and 5.

Though I will admit, I did prefer newbies 2.0 over newbies 1.0, not sure if it was due to the writing or if 2.0 just felt less recycled. And Roderick was the most adorable thing this show has ever given us.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

Moved all of the originals vs. newbies vs. new newbies debate to the all episodes thread. If anyone is finishing up a reply as I write this, don't worry about editing; I'll move it over for you!

While this series finale didn't burn down 9 years worth of a good show (like HIMYM), there also wasn't a whole lot left to burn down. It was more like RIB set fire to a paper bag full of poop and put it on the audience's doorstep.

• Love 2

The worst part of the whole episode was Sam taking over for New Directions. I mean, I have long accepted this show is ridiculous and nothing makes any sense. But this felt like an even new level of offensive to the intelligence of the viewers. They devoted an entire season to this plot line with Finn involving him realizing he loved helping to teach others music, but if he wanted to do it for real, he had to get a teaching degree. The whole idea of his story arc was that one day he'd be taking over Will's job, and he was getting the credentials he needed to do so. After spending a whole season on this idea, (and then reminding audiences of that plot line this season when Will referenced believing Finn would be running things!), on the last episode we throw a guy with a high school degree and no experience even volunteering as a leader for ND (like Kurt, Rachel, Finn, did), into the job. And he wasn't just temporarily volunteering for a few months like Rachel, Kurt, etc. The implication was he'd been interviewed and had been given a semi permanent paid position. It would be one thing if the idiotic writers just didn't recognize the credentials necessary for these jobs, but to actually craft an entire plot line demonstrating they had some understanding of the credentials necessary, and then when the main character in that plot line died, to put a random high school grad in the job and expect us not to question it, was so so stupid and almost an insult to Finn's memory and what he'd been working toward. And, as always, an insult to the IQ of the viewers. It was a huge WTF moment.

• Love 3

He's a straight white guy. Clearly he's qualified for anything and was even charged with getting Rachel's juices moving again so she could endgame with that offscreen real life BFF and pop out a Klaine baby. It totally makes sense if you drop all logic and reason. That's so Glee.

I don't think RM viewed straight white guys* as qualified for anything they wanted to do. I would say it was quite opposite since the straight white guys were always the ones who didn't either make it in NY and/or didn't feel like they fit there. Every other demo group had the talent and/or temperament to thrive in the NY performing arts scene but straight white guys really only fit in Lima. Good enough to teach but never good enough to do.

As Sam's endgame career showed there is also that the straight white guys were entirely interchangeable in RM'S mind. If not Will as coach then Finn can slot right in and if not Finn then Sam. For everyone else they gave up on trying to write in replacements once the newbies 1.0 were written off but apparently straight white guys are just so ordinary that any old one will do.

*Edited to add - I should have put able bodied in that descriptor as well.  

Edited by camussie

What's so funny is that Sam didn't even get the need to perform or teach. Will at least felt there was a purpose in his life in teaching the kids and Finn had the realization that he enjoyed teaching so started to pursue a higher education.

With Sam it was college is not for him and New York is not for him. Which OK. He moves back to Lima and the coaching assistant gig falls in his lap. With ND disbanded , he does nothing of his own initiative and its Rachel and Kurt that revive the choir.

So now choir director just falls in his lap.

Sam is now the most special snowflake of all, and probably the stupidest teacher to stand in a classroom.

• Love 2

Sam is now the most special snowflake of all, and probably the stupidest teacher to stand in a classroom.

Sam's speech to the students about country music, which resonated with his own life experiences, was the most deeply intellectual musical analysis I ever heard from any choir director on Glee. The show treated him with more respect than any other graduate, as there was no attempt at background humor to undermine the seriousness of the accomplishment. There will be plenty of staff at McKinley to deal with vocal technique and choreography, as necessary, so if all Sam ever does is get the kids to understand and feel the music, he will have put them ahead of VA until the end of time. Being stupid about one thing doesn't make you stupid about everything, and the same goes for intelligent.
was the most deeply intellectual musical analysis I ever heard from any choir director on Glee.

Well they could have also had him teaching quantum physics in his last scene but that wouldn't make it any more plausible.   

• Love 1

The one good thing how Glee burned to the ground so openly  is that I don't  think anyone other than the tweeners in certain forums would lament that Glee didn't get another season or even one more episode.

FOX was  through.

The Producers were obviously through.

The cast was beyond over it.

The GA left the building a long time ago.

It's the hardcore fans (like us) who were trapped until the final episode aired.

I think Glee needing to end is pretty much the only consensus every party had.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Was Sam really just stupid about one thing, though? I think in his case it's more like being smart in one thing doesn't make you smart about anything else...

My original statement is totally consistent with the above quote, with which I fully agree.

Well they could have also had him teaching quantum physics in his last scene but that wouldn't make it any more plausible.

Sam spoke out of his established knowledge of the music and its connection to his own life. It was consistent with his character and by far the most completely plausible ending for any of the graduates.

Sam was also the guy who thought it was cool Ryder was molested by an older woman.  That alone disqualifies him as a coach.  He had one moment of clarity.  I don't see any evidence that trend will continue especially since he isn't even bothering to go to college to get some training - something that according to show canon is necessary to becoming a full time coach.  

Edited by camussie

My original statement is totally consistent with the above quote, with which I fully agree.Sam spoke out of his established knowledge of the music and its connection to his own life. It was consistent with his character and by far the most completely plausible ending for any of the graduates.

(Emphasis mine). I actually agree with this. After all, original McKinley High featured Will as the Spanish teacher who didn't know Spanish -- why not Sam as the Glee club choir director who didn't have a degree, and just happened to be a friend of the principal? And while they didn't specifically go through everyone and say where they ended up, Sam was the only student where they explicitly stated he ended up in Lima. While many of the characters we met dreamed of getting out of Lima, it makes total sense that a few -- or more than a few -- would've ultimately ended up staying there.

The point wasn't that Sam was a small town boy, so it wasn't surprising that he ended up in Lima.

Being a teacher/choir director when ostensibly the importance of performing arts in education is joke with a character who said college was not for him.

IF Becky ended up finishing her college and getting her degree  it would be more plausible for her to have become ND's choir director than Sam. 

It was just a  bro fantasy that he was the anointed choir director becasue the show had to stick him with something, not because it made any sense.

Would have loved for Unique to have come back , with her degree, and been the new ND director.  But of course anyone NOT a white straight able bodied  male need not apply.

Sam became director by default just because.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Sam spoke out of his established knowledge of the music and its connection to his own life. It was consistent with his character and by far the most completely plausible ending for any of the graduates.

I tend to like Sam more often then not but I could not disagree more about this. You might be confusing the character of Sam, and Chord, the actor who plays him. Chord definitely does have a well known affinity for and knowledge of country music. Heck, his father is a well known country music writer (won awards and stuff) he grew up in Nashville. Chord essentially grew up in country music. Sam on the other hand has shown no particular knowledge or affinity for country music or really any other type of music. He sang, "Red Solo Cup" (a God awful song) which is the only country song i can remember him singing. He never expressed any interest in being a performer or a teacher. Nor has he had any training in either. How is it plausible for someone who never even volunteered to run a Glee club, let alone took any education classes, music classes, any kind of classes to end up teaching music? Even if he is only the Glee club coach and not a teacher, what is his qualification for that? I can at leas say Rachel had a semester and a half of performing arts education under her belt and a lead role on a Broadway show. Kurt was shown to be in his junior year already so he had even more performing arts education under his belt. 

• Love 1
Sorry to go to the gross but I could see Sam finding it perfectly acceptable to date 17/18 year old girls in glee club.

Good lord, Jaytee, now you've done it..LOL.   You put it in my head canon Sam  ends up like the Matthew McConaughey, character David  in "Dazed and confused" when he says about young girls:

"That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older and they stay the same age."

So THAT was the reason for all the ad nauseum Sam and  Matthew McConaughey  impressions.

Glee has continuity!!!

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 5

Well, quantum physics is actually ... nope not going there. I could make a case, but no. Glee is not that smart and neither is Sam. Brittany can still have her time machine because the idea of her as a Dr Who Companion amuses me.

• Love 1

After all, original McKinley High featured Will as the Spanish teacher who didn't know Spanish...

Original Glee featured Will as fluent in Spanish, suggesting (if I remember correctly) he had traveled in Latin America, and as being capable of teaching IRREGULAR verbs to students, the ploy Rachel used to distract Will while she developed "Push It". If Rachel wants to devote half her Tony acceptance speech to Will, and if his students vote him teacher of the year, then he is a great teacher. By definition.

1. You might be confusing the character of Sam, and Chord, the actor who plays him.

2. Sam on the other hand has shown no particular knowledge or affinity for country music or really any other type of music. He sang, "Red Solo Cup" (a God awful song) which is the only country song i can remember him singing. He never expressed any interest in being a performer or a teacher. Nor has he had any training in either. How is it plausible for someone who never even volunteered to run a Glee club, let alone took any education classes, music classes, any kind of classes to end up teaching music?

1. I don't know anything about Chord, and I don't want to.

2. Sam is not "teaching music"; he is teaching musicality and teamwork - no degree required. He plays the guitar. Is that not music? He has endured real hardship, of the sort the occasionally slushied, but otherwise drastically over-privileged Rachel couldn't imagine. There are thousands of teachers with education degrees who have no business being in a classroom. (An analogous statement could be made about any other profession.) There are thousands of people who have no degree in anything who should be in a classroom.

To repeat, I watched for Lea, only. Yet I hated the snobbism displayed by many Rachel stans toward Finn, and I hate it with respect to Sam.

• Love 1

The problem is that Sam being a full time teacher goes against the canon Glee set up for itself in regards to Finn in Season 4.  That means either in Will's high school full time coaches no longer need degrees (and that doesn't speak well for Will as principal nor does cutting all sports for that matter) or Sam is just so very talented as a Glee coach that he doesn't need a degree.   I mean am I really supposed to believe that Sam is just so awesome a coach that he can skip that whole pesky college thing altogether?  While Will & Finn needed an education to do that same job?

Edited by camussie

If Rachel wants to devote half her Tony acceptance speech to Will, and if his students vote him teacher of the year, then he is a great teacher. By definition.1. I don't know anything about Chord, and I don't want to.

Just because Glee tells me that Will is a good teacher doesn't mean it's true. Pretty much everything else they've shown says otherwise.

Yet I hated the snobbism displayed by many Rachel stans toward Finn, and I hate it with respect to Sam.

Sam is an idiot. Sam has been an idiot since season 4, and even before then he was sweet but dim. He thought it was romantic to leave a trail of food for a girl to eat off the floor. He needed a literal map to find the auditorium so he wouldn't get lost. He has the lowest SAT score ever recorded in McKinley High School history. And he's not some musical genius either. He can play the guitar and he can sing on key and that's about it as far as qualifications go. One moment of clarity in one scene in the finale doesn't eliminate years of idiocy. 

Edited by Ceeg
  • Love 2

Am I really supposed to believe that Sam is just so awesome a coach that he can skip that whole pesky college thing altogether?

This is what i'm saying!!! I generally like Sam, for the most part. But there is literally nothing, nothing in Sam's background or present that makes him qualified to coach a Glee Club. It's not just that he doesn't have an education degree, he doesn't have ANY degree. Not even a 2 years Associate Degree. I know it varies by state, but even teaching assistants usually have to have some coursework. If they told me he was going to be an assistant? That I would buy. But coaching the top Glee Club at what is now a performing arts high school? Nope.

1. Just because Glee tells me that Will is a good teacher doesn't mean it's true. Pretty much everything else they've shown says otherwise.

2. Sam has been an idiot since season 4 ... One moment of clarity in one scene in the finale doesn't eliminate years of idiocy.

3. ... he can sing on key

1. First they showed that Will was fluent in Spanish, later that he was illiterate. Which is true? The most frequent pov? the first? the last? The show included farce and drastic inconsistencies of character and plot. What to believe? Whatever makes you happiest. As a teacher, his team won a national championship and his students loved him. What else is there? He didn't give someone's favorite a competition solo? Boo hoo. Neither would I have.

2. Sam an idiot "since season 4'? He's been perfectly normal and intelligent throughout S6. As in the case of Will's Spanish, there have been two Sams, at least, and the first and last were fine.

3. That's more than Chris did on the Glee tour.

Irony is truly not dead.

Like Rachel and Kurt, I'm a cultural snob. But unlike Kurt, I'm not a social one. Edited by Higgs

1. First they showed that Will was fluent in Spanish, later that he was illiterate. Which is true? The most frequent pov? the first? the last? The show included farce and drastic inconsistencies of character and plot. What to believe? Whatever makes you happiest. As a teacher, his team won a national championship and his students loved him. What else is there? He didn't give someone's favorite a competition solo? Boo hoo. Neither would I have.

I never cared about solos or who Will decided to give them to. But, he held different members of ND up to different standards than others, and some he taught lessons and some he didn't care to teach any lesson at all. And, no matter what he did in the Pilot, by the time season 3 rolled around, he was a joke of a Spanish teacher. Whether you want to believe that or not is up to you, but it's literally canon that he became a shitty Spanish teacher.

2. Sam an idiot "since season 4'? He's been perfectly normal and intelligent throughout S6. 

When has Sam been intelligent at any point between season 4 and season 6? Other than one scene trying to sell him as a teacher in a finale that was terrible.

3. That's more than Chris did on the Glee tour.

I have no idea what that has to do with anything or why that's relevant. And, I don't even stan for Chris, so I'm not sure if that's supposed to be aimed to take me down a peg or something. I couldn't care less if Chris sang on key in an arena four years ago. And whether he did or didn't has no bearing on Sam (a character)'s qualifications to be a teacher.

I still think it's bizarre that anyone would defend Sam's right to be a teacher at an accredited high school, without any sort of higher education whatsoever. It would be the same if Glee decided to make Brittany a math teacher. Except in Brittany's case, at least she's taken some kind of college courses. Sam doesn't even have that.

Edited by Ceeg
  • Love 6

I would say being able to be hypnotized by Sue with just a few swings of her watch isn't normal or intelligent.  Neither was his belief that Carmen was a witch, something he sincerely seemed to believe.  Neither was sniffing jockstraps.  

I mean has he ever arranged a song before he became the paid permanent coach of ND?  With Finn as an uneducated temporary coach we at least had that as show canon. With Sam as a uneducated permanent we don't even have that.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

Honestly every thing comes back to the writers really suck. For me at least. Certain things that happen I can't even get mad at the characters because I'm convinced the writers just don't care about character consistency. To the point where I feel like their logic is "oh Sam is in this scene. Let's have him say this line even though he never would." Replace Sam with any other character and I'd still feel that way.

Sometimes it's hard to treat them as characters when the writers barely can. Sigh...

• Love 1

But, he held different members of ND up to different standards than others, and some he taught lessons and some he didn't care to teach any lesson at all.

Not sure if I have posted this before on this thread or another one, but...this scene will always be a prime example of how misogynistic and hypocritical the writing was, and just how much Will sucked as a teacher and person.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

Can Sam even read sheet music?

We know Finn could, as he brought the music of 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' to Sectionals in season 1 and had already arranged the song, just like he presumably had for 'Don't Stop Believing'.

And even if Sam can read sheet music, does he has any understanding of how chords work and how to divide them into (vocal) harmonies? You need quite some intellect, math skills and basic music knowledge to be able to make an arrangement with choir harmonies and also the instrumental music for the musicians.

Which is actually one of my biggest beefs with Glee: choosing a music style or other musical theme and writing that lesson of the week on the whiteboard is not all it takes to be a music (choir) teacher.

Making music arrangements like supposedly Mr. Shue, Finn, Kurt and Rachel all did for ND isn't easy (or even possible) without having learned those skills somehow, either by properly studying music or by e.g. being in a band for years and having learned how to make arrangements by simply trying over and over again till it sounds right. Not even talking about a teacher's degree. Being a full fledged music teacher (as an arts high school would definitely demand from its choir coaches) would take at least 4 years at college.

But Glee has never deemed that important at all, although they tried it with Finn but then dropped it when Cory died (which makes Sam being the new choir coach now extra jarring and disrespectful imo). As a professional music teacher I'm quite annoyed about that.

Of all the coaches ND had over the seasons none of them had a degree in music. Even Will has had no officialy education in music: he was a Spanish teacher who was in show choir as a highschool kid and simply took over the glee club after the real music teacher Sandy Ryerson was fired. Only Kurt and Rachel probably have had any music technical schooling at NYADA, and for Rachel that was little over a year (and for Kurt only 2 years).

But yet somehow Will managed to get these kids to a National title, and to add insult to injury he did that when it was deliberately made canon (and joked about) he never had the setlists ready till at the most the week before. And on top of that they made Will principal of a brand new arts education highschool, and the very first thing he does is hire a non-college dimwit like Sam as the coach of maybe up to 4 choirs, of which one choir just came back with a Nationals trophy, WTF?

Btw: Blaine isn't qualified to give piano lessons either.

Ryan and Brad can STFU with all their PR talk of making Glee's last season about the importance of arts education.

They never even got the basics of music/choir education right, and as they had all the experts right there on set (Broadway vetereans, professional music arrangers, vocal coaches) I strongly hold that lack of musical knowledge against them, as they never really were interested in arts education at all, just in iTunes sales and having a fictional universe for their OTP's, love triangles and PSA's to take place in.

Edited by Glorfindel
  • Love 5

And even if Sam can read sheet music, does he has any understanding of how chords work and how to divide them into (vocal) harmonies? You need quite some intellect, math skills and basic music knowledge to be able to make an arrangement with choir harmonies and also the instrumental music for the musicians.

A...rrangements?  But i thought all you had to do was point to the band and say "Hit it!" (without even telling them the name of the song).  And that the singers just instinctively knew all of the lyrics and harmonies, and had perfect pitch and got everything performance-perfect the first time!  My illusions, they are shattered.  /snark

• Love 3

Or how about when one character would start singing a song in the choir room and then 2 or 3 other characters would jump up and just instinctively know the choreography the singer would be following?

• Love 1

That's sort of the template of a musical. You suspend belief that people sing and dance at the drop of a hat, or a HS number rivals a Broadway production.

I also thought the more fantastical and unbelievable part of a Glee wasn't the musical format but the lack of character motivation or consistency.

• Love 2