Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: S06.E12: 2009 / S06.E13: Dreams Come True

Tara Ariano

Like it or not Quinn/Puck reuniting is considered their happy ending along with Yale for her and the Air Force for him.  As is Santana/Brittany getting married and making plans to go to college again.   Last we looked in on Mike he was doing well in school and seemed to be happy playing the field.  Sure it would have been nice to have all of those focused on a bit more but I still think with what we were shown it is same to assume that in the Glee verse Quinn, Puck, Santana, Brittany, and Mike all had happy and fulfilled futures.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2

they could have let Kurt, Blaine (since he is Sam's best friend) say "because you know that man will always love you" it would have been a perfect tie in back to Mercedes singing "I Will Always Love You'.

Yeah, what was the point of all the Sam being so emotional camera angles during Mercedes's song? That he is a sensitive guy?

Edited by fakeempress

The one thing I really disliked in "2009" is Mercedes mom? being all Mercedes your rivalry with Rachel can only make you better and get over not getting the solo Rachel needed it more.  Just sat wrong with me.  Well that and Will snobbily saying the arts are more important than cheerleading.  Other than that the episode really touched me.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

Last we looked in on Mike he was doing well in school and seemed to be having fun playing the field.  

This is a genuine question because I didn't watch all of the wedding episode. Did Mike say anything that says he's playing the field? I've never seen him onscreen talk about dating a woman who wasn't Tina. Because apparently the writers of this show believe that dating survey that asian men are the least attractive! 

I didn't want Tike together, I just don't like them being kept apart so she can be with Artie the creep. I'd actually prefer both Tina and Mike to be single and playing the field. 

He didn't outright say he was playing the field but he said something we are young and don't need to tie ourselves right now.  It was very clear to me that he was happily enjoying exploring his options.

I can buy that, because in her mind, Mercedes is already on top, well respected in her community as a lead singer.  So letting Rachel have the spotlight once isn't going to hurt Mercedes, because Glee Club is a tiny school thing, and Mercedes is already bigger than that.  Mercedes' mom doesn't know (or maybe, appreciate) that Rachel is cutthroat about being a star.  It's like the script is flipped - Mercedes is the rising star earning real-world notice, Rachel is the underdog who might be able to keep Mercedes on her toes.

• Love 3

Doesn't feel like everyone got their happy ending. Feels like Rachel, Blaine and Kurt got the perfect fantasy, Mercedes got the dream career, Sam got Finn's life, Artie got the girl he wanted, Tina got lumber with Artie, and we weren't suppose to give a crap about anyone else. 

Agreed. It didn't feel like "everyone" got their perfect fanfic ending at all. The only glee clubbers we know more about than how they look and who they are dating are Rachel, Jessie, Kurt, Blaine, Sam and Mercedes. And 3 put of those aren't even original glee club members.

Fans of the remaining 8 originals were lucky enough to get a very brief relationship update (Tartie) or a glance in group number with 40 other people.

Not that I expected more from glee but it still felt weird to listen to all those praises about how glee club can make a difference while half the characters who were the subject of those inspiring storylines were ignored.

ETA: I know the show could not give every character an entire "where are they now" scene but would it have been so hard to extend that Tony party by 2 minutes and have more originals there to catch up? Even if it's just with a tiny comment about work or their plans or whatever?

Edited by knaxx

I actually loved both hours.

2009 added things to the story as told in the original pilot, and I still suspect these were mostly scenes that were planned for possible use in the pilot, but not filmed or used; plus the songs for Artie, in particular. Once it leaked out through I-Tunes and Amazon that the original DSB would be in this hour, it was clear it would end on that, and working around Cory's death to tell the rest of that story was well done, all things considered. Yes, it showed the foundations of story arcs we knew about, but tied the beginning story of Glee up into a neat package.....as that is where "Dreams Come True" comes in. More on that in a moment. One can see why the director of this episode, Paris Barclay (who also directed one of my favorite episodes of television ever, the "Forever Blue" episode of Cold Case) described this episode as the most unusual thing he's ever directed. An hour long flashback is unusual television in and of itself. And given the story constraints, it came off quite well, IMHO.

Glee is musical comedy....and was from the beginning to the end......and I would not have expected "Dreams Come True" to be anything less. If you are used to genre series (Sci-fi, time travel, etc., then the back and forth time shifting elements were easy enough to keep straight once one caught on to what the final cut of the episode was doing. Once RIB decided that WMHS becomes a magnet school for the arts, then it was logical for Will to be the principal, for the reason stated in the episode. The only part that was sad, as far as a Finn Hudson legacy is concerned, was the elimination of sports teams, apparently, but in fact that is the case in real life with magnet schools for the arts and other fields in high schools across the country. So I was not surprised that Sam becomes the new coach of ND (was the logical choice) and I loved how Sam explained the first assignment of "Country." Sam has been written as more articulate this season to begin with, and that showed that development was intentional. Sorry we never heard where Coach Bieste ended up, but at least he was back for the auditorium re-dedication in 2020 (and as Finn played for Beiste, it was story appropriate.)

Regarding the current time/flash forwards, I'm not sure Rachel's "This Time" performance was as late in 2015 as other have speculated. It's entirely possible that was intended to be before she left to return to NYADA, and then we get her coming back to celebrate the second ND nationals win, and then flash-forwards future with the Tony, the surrogacy, and then the final scene(s). What becomes interesting in keeping score is that N.D. won two Nationals and came in second in two other nationals in a four year period, which if you think about it is an accomplishment with the challenge to have the N.D. survive.

As to how the originals ended up, including Sue, this is a musical comedy after all, so why not have Sue go out ever more over the top outside of Lima than within it. All the others made sense in terms of the characters and their stories and I have absolutely no problem with any of it.  Having Rachel marry Jesse was the most appropriate thing to do with Finn's passing, and as to the surrogacy, I'm sure it's not Rachel's egg that was used, and I'm sure the three of them made sure Jesse was OK with it.

I was pleased with how the songs ended up being used. That's always been a mystery on Glee before an episode airs, and it shouldn't be any different at the end. If RIB weren't going to use DSB as the final song of the series, then I was fine with they'd used it in "2009." At least that played a role in the finale. And I am glad they did manage to get all the N.D. kids from 1.0 to 2020 in "I Lived." and the last shot being with Finn's plaque tearful and perfect.

That's all I got.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 3

Ok now that I am done sobbing like a three year old I'm curious about a couple of things, like how in five years Will and Emma ended up with all of those kids. I guess she birthed some multiples?

Also it was perfectly random for Terri to wander into the auditorium and sit down, but I suppose it's better than ending up at the bottom of a lake in Scandinavia.

I wish Jeff Goldblum could have been lured back at least once. And that other guy who played her other dad.

And were Roderick and Jane and the others at the apartment where Kurt, Blaine, etc. were watching the Tonys viewing party? Speaking of random, I mean she knew the NewNewNew Directions kids for a few months, but they would be in NY to watch her win an award?

An hour long flashback is unusual television in and of itself. And given the story constraints, it came off quite well, IMHO.

I agree with this. When I first heard they were doing a whole episode about flashbacks to 2009 I thought how the heck are they going to explain Finn being absent. But they did it better than I thought. I didnt know DSB was being played in the ep. so, I was caught by surprise at seeing Cory/Finn, it made me really emotional. 

• Love 1

I am obviously dead inside, because that last number did nothing for me, and I was really expecting it to.

Me too. I think my mind was just trying to process everything else that had come before it that I couldn't even really take in the last song. Maybe upon rewatch. I don't know. I liked that they dedicated the auditorium to Finn, and seeing Carol there made me teary. But the way they scripted the scene just took me out of it. First I kept wondering, what kind of dedication is that with only a row of people there? Wouldn't that be something the school would be invited to? The community? The school board? Then I was taken out of the scene wondering about all of the people who were there who in reality shouldn't have been. Terri? (Don't get me wrong she was great in 2009, but what is she doing there in 2020?) Karofsky? It was just weird? The song itself would have worked much better as an out of context performance. Something either Will or Rachel was thinking. It's not like this show hasn't done it before. It's funny that they decided not to do it the one time it would actually work. So yeah the end was a jumble to me and didn't do anything for me.

As for the rest:

2009: 

Of the two episodes I liked this one better and actually had more feelings during it. Maybe it was because I had just rewatched the Pilot episode and a few other Season 1 episodes so I was already in a 2009 mind set. They did a lot better job then I thought they would filling in the blanks and including Cory/Finn. There wasn't near as much retconning as I thought there would be. It was like somebody actually went back and watched the Pilot. Continuity. It's a beautiful thing Glee.

I felt like everyone slipped back into their Season 1 selves pretty well. I liked both Kurt and Mercedes back-story. Liked seeing Kurt in his all white bedroom again doing his cleansing routine. Even though Chris in no way looked like Season 1 Kurt (he tried to slouch down a bit) I do think he got the essence of Season 1 Kurt. And I loved seeing me some Kurtcedes. Those two always had great friend chemistry. As Sue once said, "I don't know how you two don't have a show on Bravo." 

As for Amber/Mercedes: 

I agree with the below:

Amber's acting has improved so much since season 1. Kudos to her for putting in the work and getting better.

I thought her growth was most noticeable during the church scene when she was talking to the lady. Looking at the scene I was thinking, "There is no way Season 1 Amber could have pulled that off", which is kind of funny since she was playing Season 1 Mercedes. LOL!. And speaking of the scene in the church with the lady Mercedes was talking to. Who was that lady? Her mom? Grandmother? Auntie? Choir Director? Church Deaconess? The Angel Gabriel? It was just so random. She's sitting there crying and then this wise older woman swoops in. It's almost like she "magically" appeared to dispense wisdom.  Maybe she was there to train Mercedes for her future duties? And yes I was giving all kinds of side eye to that whole, "Maybe she (meaning Rachel) will get most of the solos because maybe she needs them more than you do". I mean, what? And "she's going to be the one to make you better"? Get out of here with that!

I see what RIB were doing there. And with Will repeatedly saying, "We'll take turns. Everyone's going to get a chance". That is their way of acknowledging the fact that, they know that, that did not happen going forward. Everyone did not end up getting a chance. Everyone did feel special or like a star. I guess we are supposed to let them off the hook since they are laying out how it was supposed to go. 

As for Mercedes being an opening act for Beyonce I fail to see how that is so crazy. It isn't like they said she was headlining her own tour, or was taking over for Beyonce. Opening acts are what new, up and coming artists usually do. That's how they start. Is Mercedes not allowed any success? I can see if they said she was going on her own stadium tour or something crazy like that, but opening act? That seems in the realm of possibility. She recorded some songs. She went on a mall tour, which is pretty low level stuff. It was successful. And add to it that it appears whatever she has achieved she did on her own. Nobody set up any auditions for her or put in any good words for her. There were no pep rallies and prayer circles. No one was giving her any advice or telling her how awesome she was (except for the nice black lady in the church). The last time anyone did anything for her was Sam when he put that video of her on Youtube and that's a little iffy because he did it without her permission. But at least he believed in her and her talent. So if Rachel can get back into NYADA and have the option of a lead in a Broadway show less than a year after she basically took a flame thrower to her career, then yeah Mercedes can be an opening act for Beyonce. That is something that actually makes sense because it is a step on the way to her dream.

Now if you want to talk about unrealistic let's talk about "non-degree having, non-teaching license having, not one credit of college classes having, but now I'm the Glee Club teacher" Sam. And I say this as someone who generally likes Sam. That's some bullshit. I might have been ok with it. IF, they had shown him going to college maybe, working at the school as a teacher;'s aide/assistant while he was getting his degree AND THEN taking over Glee Club. MAYBE. But I couldn't shake the feeling that they basically just slotted Sam into what would have been Finn's story and that is kind of icky. But Sam fans will go to bed happy as clams, because at least he didn't have to suffer the awful, unimaginable fate of ending up with Mercedes.  I will admit the petty part of me wanted that just so I could enjoy their tears, cause I'm not always a nice person, BUT, I can at least enjoy the egg on the faces of all the "Samchele are endgame. It's been foreshadowed since the beginning of time" people. I'm not sure why they added in the part about Sam still texting Mercedes? Are we supposed to think that it's still in the cards for them, or that he's stalking her? I can go with either one. 

And speaking of Samchele. What a waste of time. If all they wanted to do was get Rachel back into the dating pool, there were so many more ways they could have accomplished that. Now that I have seen the whole season, I have no doubt that Samchele was never end game. I think J. Groff might have always been in the cards. I loved that they had Jesse already having won a Tony. He's still Jesse St. James (giving advice on how to give an acceptance speech) but he's a toned down version. I believe them together. But I call shenanigans and bullshit on that surrogacy story! Rachel getting pregnant with Jesse. OK. Maybe unplanned. The timing might not have been opportune, but it is something she would be willing to do for herself and her husband. It happens. I could see that. But purposely getting pregnant? For someone else? Nope. Nope Nope. I don't know what else to say about that. Just nope! (But Lea is a cute pregnant lady!) And man Jonathan Groff looked good in that tux! Lord have mercy!

Rachel winning a Tony did not bother me  like i thought it would since it happened 5 years in the future. Her getting back into NYADA bugs. But I'm willing to believe after 5 years the Broadway community would be willing to embrace her. Although I kind of wish they hadn't had Jesse (her husband be the director of her show. I know I'm being picky, but it just feels like yet again, Rachel's success is somehow tied to someone else. This time her husband. Till the end they have Rachel somehow being defined by her relationships with men. Don't get me wrong I love the St. Berry endgame. I just wish they hadn't added the part about Jesse being the director. It was unnecessary. Just let Rachel have one thing all her own, on her own. 

I loved everything with Will and Emma. They gave me the feels. And man when they cut to showing the original performance of "Don't Stop Believing"? Not gonna lie. Tears. I just wasn't expecting to see Cory and then to see his face. So young. All of them. It just really caught me off guard, but it was the right thing to do.

Liked seeing Terri again. She also slipped back into that character seamlessly. And Howard Bamboo, don't worry. Your dream of singing in a male /boy band/acapella group is closer than you think!

I'm glad they had Kurt end up as a successful performer. I literally have no feelings about Blaine. Basically what Sue said, "I still don't get you".

I am bummed we didn't get any kind of idea on the future for Puck and Quinn, Santana and Brittany or Mike. That seemed like a big missed opportunity. And other than Tina being with Artie, what exactly does she do? They never gave her a dream or a career goal.

So the finale of Glee, was a lot like the whole show. Started off strong. Had a lot of promise. Some good ideas. And then it went off the rails somewhere.

• Love 8

The Mercedes thing isn't completely ridiculous. But it is like they put no thought into it. Mercedes music and style is so different she wouldn't work as an opening act for Beyoncé. But her opening for s big star isn't ridiculous. I think she'd be more Taylor Swift than Beyonce.

Everyone in 2009 felt OOC. I was too drunk to pay attention to dreams come true but fuck no to Rachel carrying Klaine's baby (or them having a baby).

Still pissed not everyone got an ending.

I wish it had ended at 101 instead.

I just expected to care, and I didnt.

The mere presence of Sugar really lifted the energy of that performance, I felt. The writers really did waste Vanessa's talents while she was on the show. 

I didn't mind any of it, except Sue. Sue robbed me of other characters' moments. Sue sucks. 

I will say this--with Emma/Schue, Glee showed that it is still possible to keep a long-term couple together when one of the actors leaves the show. You don't necessarily have to kill them off, or have them separate, or have them disappear. 

• Love 3

I liked a lot of it, but also didn't like some. I admit I cried.

The Don't Stop Believing at the end of the first hour with Finn made me tear up seeing Cory perform and remember all he contributed to the show.

Rachel was singing 'This Time' and basically crying her way though it. It seemed so much more to it than just a performance, it felt real with all the lyrics. Like it was a goodbye to Finn and as well Cory. It felt more like it was Lea crying through it than Rachel. Same with the the final performance with everyone coming out and singing "I Lived." It was the actors moment and signing in dedication for Finn, but also for themselves.

Loved St.Berry being married at the end.

Didn't like Artie and Tina, she should have ended up with Mike. Like Sam being the ladies man and hanging out at Shue's house with his kids. 

Why was Terri at Finn's dedication to the auditorium?

Sue being VP was silly, but typical Sue.

Final number was perfect and fitting. Farewell Glee! 

Doesn't feel like everyone got their happy ending. Feels like Rachel, Blaine and Kurt got the perfect fantasy, Mercedes got the dream career, Sam got Finn's life, Artie got the girl he

wanted, Tina got lumber with Artie, and we

weren't suppose to give a crap about anyone

else.

I'd say that Will, Sue, and Emma got really happy endings as well.

The main thing I thought during "I Lived" as I watched all the various glee members throughout the years running around the stage was damn, we wasted so much time on characters that I never gave a crap about. Don't get me wrong - I like that they brought everyone back for the final song but it really drove home the point that I didn't care about them then and I don't care about them now. The only reason I liked seeing them there was on principle because it did show that choir, like any high school organization, always has people coming and going and that they are all part of the alumni, even if they have never met.

Both as a fan and as someone who was in choir, I love that the old glee members and other cast members all got to participate in the last song and have a real life farewell.

I thought that Kurt and Rachel seemed the most like their S1 selves but it was obvious how physically different they are now. Kurt is so much taller and Rachel is so much thinner. I was totally unspoiled for both episodes but I assumed that DSB would be part of the finale somehow. As soon as the song started when Will was in the hallway, the tears started and when I saw the original members, especially Finn, it was all over.

What I really liked about the first episode was how much of the feel of S1 they tried to incorporate, like the background singers doing all the "doo doo doo" during the scene transitions. But that episode just reminded me how much I used to like the show and how much it has strayed from its original tone. Kurt and Rachel singing Popular was definitely felt like something that would have happened during S1. I almost stopped watching after 2009 ended because I felt like I had closure on the show and DSB was the way for it to end. I paused while deciding whether to watch Dreams Come True and within the first five minutes I was like gawd, what a contrast because the second episode reminded me how much I have come to loathe Glee in the later seasons. NNND wins nationals even though they are clearly not the best! Sam gets hired to teach even though he has no college degree! Will gets hired as a principal even though he doesn't have any experience in high school administration or an appropriate degree! Rachel wins a Tony after crapping on Broadway a few years earlier!

On the plus side, yay for Jesse St. James!

I wish we had gotten more of Mike and Gaylord Weiner than just doing that one second of dancing together.

Blaine and Kurt's Daydream Believer with all the dance moves from past performances was a suckier version of "My Life Would Suck Without U."

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed 2009. Lea did a fantastic job channeling S1 Rachel :) Chris I felt was tapping into that Kurt emotional space we saw in Acafellas, in the scene where he came out to Mercedes and dropped his brave, icy front. Especially the very raw moments after he walked away from her. And he was able to re-capture that soft, breathy tone to his voice too. They were both really impressive. As others have said, Amber has come a long way. I see why Jane Lynch said this could have stood as the finale and I rather wish it had; it would have been the perfect full circle moment.

Dreams Come True...while as a Kurt fan I'm happy to see him happy and successful as a performer, I was not only robbed of my precious divorce, but the writers threw in a baby too. My teeth, they are gritted. And I was completely, utterly pissed off at RIB for patting themselves so thoroughly on the back for the (quite genuine) social/cultural impact the character of Kurt and the actor Chris had in those early days, when they so thoroughly wasted Chris's talent and silenced Kurt in the last 3 seasons. Acknowledging what they had just makes their squandering of it that much more infuriating.

I started to laugh when Rachel said that being a surrogate was a full circle moment - I so called that! And I cannot believe for one second it would happen. Not for one second. I was actually grateful to have Jesse back for the brief moments we had him, so I don't have an issue with Rachel winding up with him. But their relationship, like their glorious careers - like everyone's ending - was wish fulfillment. Glee was what it was and the writers are what they are, incapable of telling an honest and authentic story right to the last.

I'm grateful that Glee existed, grateful for Chris the actor, and for the characters of Kurt, Rachel and Santana (with all their ups and downs). For all them really. I'm so fond of the original cast. A part of me will be forever bitter at how a cast with such chemistry and characters that could be magical together, that whole wealth of talent, were so colossally failed by the writer--producers.

Edited by heyerchick
  • Love 10

I thought we were missing one more "2009 " episode where Kurt got his snark before the pilot, just something hardening him more and making Kurt more defensive and with his facade of feigned indifference.

Of course that would have meant an actual SL , never mind.

This felt like Kurt perhaps months before the pilot, a bit more naive and openly gullible, if that makes any sense. I could believe Kurt was like that, but not so close to the pilot Kurt without more exposition and narrative. Having said that, I thought Kurt had a lot of " young" touches that Chris acted very well.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 4

2009:

Of the two episodes I liked this one better and actually had more feelings during it. Maybe it was because I had just rewatched the Pilot episode and a few other Season 1 episodes so I was already in a 2009 mind set. They did a lot better job then I thought they would filling in the blanks and including Cory/Finn. There wasn't near as much retconning as I thought there would be. It was like somebody actually went back and watched the Pilot. Continuity. It's a beautiful thing Glee.

I felt like everyone slipped back into their Season 1 selves pretty well. I liked both Kurt and Mercedes back-story. Liked seeing Kurt in his all white bedroom again doing his cleansing routine. Even though Chris in no way looked like Season 1 Kurt (he tried to slouch down a bit) I do think he got the essence of Season 1 Kurt. And I loved seeing me some Kurtcedes. Those two always had great friend chemistry. As Sue once said, "I don't know how you two don't have a show on Bravo."

I was unspoiled and I was pretty surprised by how they basically did a season one episode. The only thing I had read was that there would be some flashbacks, but there weren't even present day bookends, it was like a lost season one episode. I didn't dislike the idea and was pretty shocked because I thought they pulled it off. Omg, Rachel was so on point.

The problem for was, however, that I didn't get the point of it. I thought the only thing it had going was the dramatic irony, that we knew how things would turn out when the characters didn't. I felt I didn't discover anything that I was dying to know or there was any pay off or anything. I probably would have enjoyed if it was about my faves, but it wasn't so it was boring to me, but better than the crap that came after, for sure.

The more I'm thinking on it, the more I have to agree "2009" would have served as a better last episode. It was the better written episode and packed a bigger emotional punch to me, 

Yeah, what was the point of all the Sam being so emotional camera angles during Mercedes's song? That he is a sensitive guy?

I thought they might have been foreshadowing that they would end up together, but I guess not. As I've mentioned before, I was torn about Sam and Mercedes ending up together after the whole Samchele thing. Part of me thought it would be weird for Sam and Mercedes to get back together after Mercedes practically order them to date. But then they basically acted like Samchele never happened (seriously as soon as Jesse showed up on screen last episode Sam and Rachel never spoke again), so maybe it wouldn't have felt as weird as I thought. She didn't have to end up with Sam, but I do wish she had ended up with someone. It just doesn't sit right with me that RIB are perpetuating the "strong, black woman, who don't need a man" stereotype. We are led to believe that all the other originals have someone. 

So I didn't listen to "This Time" before tonight. you know what? i liked it. I was very skeptical about a Darren penned song, but it wasn't bad. The context was screwy because I couldn't figure out exactly when or why Rachel was singing it. But I can't deny Lea Michele did her Lea Michele thing and sand her little heart out. It would have been better with some flashbacks or something. You can only look at someone standing on a stage singing but for so long.

Can I also just add that having Blaine show up in the coffee shop in "2009" was so unnecessary. There wasn't anything wrong with it per say, but it served no purpose. So because he and Kurt were once in the same place together even though they didn't see or speak to each other they were destined. That's all it takes. Just being in the same place as someone one time? If that's the case than Mercedes as the "I swear I'm straight" Warbler should totally be endgame.

Glee was what it was and the writers are what they are, incapable of telling an honest and authentic story right to the last.

I've been trying to put into words what I think is the main problem with Glee, and I think this is it. They try and they go through the motions, but for years the stories haven't had any effect on me because they don't feel authentic and honest. The storylines feel like they are trying too hard with the big moments, but at the same time not trying enough. Rachel winning the Tony would've been a huge moment if we had actually seen her fighting to succeed in Broadway, instead of the mess that were seasons 4-6, for example. Rachel ending with Jessie, though I liked it, would have been more powerful if he had come back a while ago and they had a good proper storyline. And so many similar etc.

They would rather spread out into a million characters and storylines and directions rather than focus on the same people and do it well. So it all feels blaaaaaaah.

Still, I'm disappointed because I hoped against my better judgement that Glee would leave me with a good taste in my mouth. But meh.

Can I also just add that having Blaine show up in the coffee shop in "2009" was so unnecessary. 

The timeline was completely buggered too. Blaine was older than Kurt, then he was younger, then he had to have gone back to being older to have even been at Dalton at that point. Not a bruise to be seen, so that Sadie Hawkins beat-down had to have been the school year before. The writers really give zero fucks about continuity, which would only be forgivable if they gave a fuck about emotional truth. 

I've been trying to put into words what I think is the main problem with Glee, and I think this is it. They try and they go through the motions, but for years the stories haven't had any effect on me because they don't feel authentic and honest. The storylines feel like they are trying too hard with the big moments, but at the same time not trying enough. 

The Glee writers are all coffee and no omelette...

Edited by heyerchick

One thing I had a question about was does anybody what was the deal was with the two ceramic figurines (one was a bunny) and flowers under Finn's and Lillian's picture in that last shot?  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

My feeling is that they intended it to be possible to create a mashup of the pilot and "2009" and have it be coherent... like 2009 was "the rest of the story".  And I had no idea they would actually end with DSB.  Loved seeing Terri (JG nailed her after a LONG time away) and the other guy who was working for her, and seeing them in the store makes me miss Linens N Things!

I've seen some folks say that last week (Sectionals for NNND) was set in November 2014.  Wouldn't that be 2013?  I thought that this season followed last season directly, and Sue had done her "housecleaning" over the summer while Lea filmed the pilot for "That's So Rachel" or whatever it was called, so they went from Fall 2013 with the first Sectionals win to Spring 2015 and winning Nationals in the following school year.  That would also mimic the path of the show, in that ND probably would have won Nationals in their second year had it not been for Finn and Rachel's OTT face sucking on-stage at the end of their performance.

And now there are only 2 Glee episodes I have yet to see: "The New Rachel" and "Britney Redux".  I still want to catch those.

I loved the 2009 hour. It felt like the Glee I once loved. In fact, it's probably my favorite episode of this season. And the final scene had me close to tears.

The second hour was a mixed bag. The over the top wish fulfilling happy endings didn't bother me. What did bother me was anything involving Sue. It's now clear that most of what I hated about this entire season was all Sue related. However, I don't blame Jane Lynch for the steaming pile of crap that she had to dish out, as she did quite well with it. Instead, I blame the stupid writers and show-runners.

Thanks for the songs, Glee. I can't say I'm going to miss you though. Most of this season was so bad that I couldn't event hate watch it without getting nauseated. But through it all, from the never-ending wash, rinse, repeat of bad relationships to the bizarre out-there ludicrousness, there was always the music. I can't stand reality show singing competitions, so I'm not sure where I'm going to get my music fix now. I would say, "Goodbye, and farewell," but it's been neither good nor well for so long, I guess that's probably the best thing to say: So long, Glee.

• Love 2
I've seen some folks say that last week (Sectionals for NNND) was set in November 2014.  Wouldn't that be 2013

This season did follow last season directly but when the show transitioned to New York last year (after the 100) it basically skipped from June 2013 to March 2014 (most of Kitty's junior year).  The NY episodes then covered spring 2014 and when we returned this year it was fall 2014.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

Coming back to Chris's performance in 2009 - Kurt seemed to be putting himself out there in hopes of finding a kindred spirit and making a friend; walls down. It could have been Rachel, but she effectively rejected him when she refused to do a joint audition. Cut to the original pilot and we see Kurt in that exact same outfit and with that haughty look on his face, sign up to audition for Glee club, suggesting one leads directly into the other. The antipathy between Kurt and Rachel was canon; this 'every man for himself' seemed an attempt to explain it. And then her canon rejection of both him and Artie as her leading men, which 2009 picked up on.

The part that really doesn't make sense is Kurt's friendliness towards Mercedes and hers towards him, when we also see in canon the 'technicolour zebra' and 'if your hair were longer you'd have curls' exchange between them in I think episode 2. That said, I always missed Kurtcedes after the writers killed it dead in S2.

• Love 2

As someone who watches every single episode since S1E1 in its first run, I am rather surprised with my own reaction. I must be a cold-hearted MF since I do not feel anything sentimental. Instead, I feel relieved. Relieved for not having to follow the show anymore, for not feeling obligated to hate-watch it, and rather glad that there is one show that I can remove from my PVR. It must be because of the shipwreck* the show has become in its last three seasons.

I am glad to see Matt, the black man, Mike dance partner since he disappeared at the end of S1. However, I can not find Rory, Unique and Joe. Are they there in the final scene? Of course, Marley is also not there. She is Super Girl soon, guess she is still in Krypton. I feel strange watching Carole as only two hours before she was a rabbit-like wesen on Grimm.

*It is a shipwreck, not trainwreck as it sunk and now rests in the bottom.

From the perspective of someone who only watched until the original bunch graduated, it was a really good double-feature finale.  There they all were, the way I knew them, and then abracadabra--epilogue.

Dot-Marie/Bieste was my favorite character so I kept squinting at that odd lineup of misfit toys in the audience.  It seemed like Bieste (and Shue's ex-wife) were being deliberately cropped out, but they finally made it up to the stage--where Bieste looked sort of . . . beard-y? 

So I went to Wikipedia and caught up on the Coach Bieste storyline.  OH!  I would have stuck around if I'd known Dot-Marie Jones was going to be such a prominent member of the cast.  Was she wonderful?

Oh, Vice President Sue's dedication speech - that line about 'the quarterback can become best friend's with the gay kid' also made me gnash my teeth at the writers applauding themselves for another storyline they basically killed with fire.

The finale lightly glossed over making Coach Bieste redundant, I realise. Sam got to teach NewNewNewNew Directions, and gained about 40 IQ points, but Bieste got screwed in absentia.

• Love 3
I am glad to see Matt, the black man, Mike dance partner since he disappeared at the end of S1. However, I can not find Rory, Unique and Joe. Are they there in the final scene? Of course, Marley is also not there. She is Super Girl soon, guess she is still in Krypton. I feel strange watching Carole as only two hours before she was a rabbit-like wesen on Grimm.

Unique, Joe and Ryder go down the stairs of the stage together. Ryder holds Unique's hand. Dunno about Rory.

If they weren't going to give token throwaway lines as to what exactly Puck, Quinn, Santana, Brittany, et al. were up to in 2020, as cliche as it is, I would've been down with them doing the whole "zoom in on one person with text card explaining what happened to him or her" thing during the final number.  Actually, a little surprised RIB didn't break out that old convention.  (And it could've been fun re: Matt, considering we didn't have much a read on him in season 1, never mind nothing after he "transferred," to have some elaborate fate written out for him.  Good seeing Dijon again, though, in "2009"--one of the better jokes this season)

The part that really doesn't make sense is Kurt's friendliness towards Mercedes and hers towards him, when we also see in canon the 'technicolour zebra' and 'if your hair were longer you'd have curls' exchange between them in I think episode 2. That said, I always missed Kurtcedes after the writers killed it dead in S2.

I actually just happened to be watching the episode that scene was in today. It kind of came across to me that, that is just how they talk to each other. Like they get kind of snippy with each other, but it's not really serious. Like real friends who are like, "Girl, that outfit is not ok. What were you thinking?" I just kind of imagined that was the kind of relationship they had.

So were we supposed to assume that the black lady talking to Mercedes was her mother? Because she looked a little old to be her mother. And it seems like since they were focusing so much or Mercedes they would have actually identified her. Had Mercedes call her mom or something. She just showed up so random. 

I was unspoiled and I was pretty surprised by how they basically did a season one episode.

See I was very much spoiled. I read a good bit about what they were going to do. And I wasn't optimistic about the outcome. I actually think that is why i ended up liking it so much, because I was dreading how it was going to turn out. That they pulled it off so well I guess was a shock to me. But yeah, it didn't really advance any plot or tell us too much that we didn't already know. 

they weren't going to give token throwaway lines as to what exactly Puck, Quinn, Santana, Brittany, et al. were up to in 2020, as cliche as it is, I would've been down with them doing the whole "zoom in on one person with text card explaining what happened to him or her" thing during the final number.

This is actually what i was thinking would happen. It would have been so easy and taken no time.

Edited by spiritof76

Who was Lillian Adler shown in the picture alongside Finn in the auditorium dedication?

She was Wills old Glee Club director, when he was a teen in McKinley. She was his inspiration since the pilot and they showed a flashback of her and Will in 1993 at the beginning of Dreams Come True.

• Love 1

I wanted to make a time capsule of my time from McKinley. I know it's stupid but it'd give me a reason to come back every once in awhile.

Tumblr told me this is what Kurt said about his "time capsule" MKHS locker, cause I missed the beginning of that scene. Coming back every now and then? What a novel concept!

Reminds me how way back (don't remember when) Chris was asked something about Kurt at his high school reunion, and he said Kurt will be absent. Poor Chris and his unbridled optimism for his character, lol. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed Kurt's beginning.  Touching, considering suicide enters the thoughts of many people. Since "2009," Kurt's character has come so far. Heartwarming and inspiring. And Burt's threat to take away Kurt's sewing machine had me laughing and laughing.

She was Wills old Glee Club director, when he was a teen in McKinley. She was his inspiration since the pilot and they showed a flashback of her and Will in 1993 at the beginning of Dreams Come True.

Lillian's plaque was seen in the pilot in a main trophy case at WMHS. It was moved to the choir room at some point in season 1 as I recall, and then was moved to the auditorium with Cory's plaque, in season 5 IIRC. That's why you saw both plaques several times in season in the backstage of the auditorium, and where the re-dedication plaque was shown in the last scene of the finale. The Flashback with Lillian and young Will was also seen in at the beginning of the Pilot episode.

I enjoyed Kurt's beginning.  Touching, considering suicide enters the thoughts of many people. Since "2009," Kurt's character has come so far. Heartwarming and inspiring. And Burt's threat to take away Kurt's sewing machine had me laughing and laughing.

See, I was just thinking what didn't make sense there, now that I can think of it more. I just can't believe that Burt, who lost a wife already, won't drag Kurt to the first highly recommended child psychologist he can find, after being told his kid is thinking about suicide. And that he will instead shout an order at him to join a sports team under a threat of taking away stuff? NO. Knee-length sweaters is one thing to threaten taking away stuff for, depression / suicide is a totally different ballgame. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

Kurt's locker time capsule was stupid. Schools don't just let you keep a locker forever. They make sure they are all cleaned out at the end of the school year. And he would rather leave a ring that his husband gave him in his old locker than keep it with him?

• Love 2

Sigh...I hate both episodes. I was really drunk, so I could be wrong, but everyone in 2009 seemed OOC, and DCT was so fanficy and pointless. Doesn't help that most of the characters I actually care about didn't get more than a second in the finale.

I shouldn't be surprised but last week had me feeling really good. I'm gonna pretend 101 was the end. That Will scene was far more touching than most of this stuff in the finale.

The one thing I was amused by: Harvey Milk Elementary. I laughed.

Also it was perfectly random for Terri to wander into the auditorium and sit down, but I suppose it's better than ending up at the bottom of a lake in Scandinavia.

I stopped watching a few years ago & have only been watching this season because it was the last so that may be why I don't understand this. Why did Terri have a bigger part in the finale than Quinn, Brittany, Santana, Mike, or Puck? Was Mike in the final episode at all? I don't remember seeing him. It seems strange that 5 major players in the series were hardly seen, if at all.

• Love 1

"2009" focused on the original 5 and Will.  Since Terri was a huge part of Will's story during the pilot, including him almost leaving McKinley, she was in the episode.  

Mike was in the finale.  He and Matt danced out front for a few seconds/

I didn't understand why Mercedes insisted on that "I'm stoic, no hugs, farewell forever" sing out. It's 2015, not 1985. You guys can text, call, skype, facetime, facebook, email, etc. non stop while she's on tour.

I wish that Puck had been on the stage at the beginning of I Lived instead of Sam. I don't hate Sam or anything but it should have been one of the older members up there with Tina, Artie, and Quinn. Ideally it should have been Kurt and/or Mercedes but I guess I am being too picky.

• Love 2

One thing I had a question about was does anybody what was the deal was with the two ceramic figurines (one was a bunny) and flowers under Finn's and Lillian's picture in that last shot?  

They looked like Japanese fortune cats. They're good luck charms, meant to bring good fortune and all that. You'll see them in Japanese restaurants often. Kind of a random symbol to include in the McKinley high auditorium but I guess they're meant to bring ND luck when they perform there.