Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicks: Sure, a potential King of England would be named Liam, NOT!

--These royals are waaaayyy too fashionable to be actual royals-- even the fashionable royals these days are still fairly conservative, compared to what celebrities wear.

--Additionally, calling King Simon, Queen Helena, Princess so and so ad naseum is totally wrong-- you address the King/Queen as "Your Majesty" and the others as "Your Royal Highness" and then use sir/ma'am after that.

--Ophelia running around through the palace like she owns it. Hahahahaha, right.

--the lack/inconsistency of the personal protection officers.

Edited by catray
  • Love 5

--These royals are waaaayyy too fashionable to be actual royals-- even the fashionable royals these days are still fairly conservative, compared to what celebrities wear.

This. I like Elizabeth Hurley, but it's laughable that she basically looks exactly the trashy party-girl daughter, only twenty years older. It's especially glaring since she keeps harping on appearances. Her hair is ridiculous for a middle-aged monarch, and the pounds of black eyeliner make her look like she should be hanging out behind the mall with the other goth kids (no wonder she doesn't cry - she'd flood the set in black goo). Someone on this show is confusing the British Royals with the Real Housewives.

• Love 9

Eleonor's antics read more Grimaldi than Windsor. It's a TV show, so fine.

The British monarchs are pretty staid in terms of fashion. People who follow other royal houses kind of turn their noses up at all the fuss about Kate's style, compared to Queen Maxima of the Netherlands or Sheikha Mozah (married to the former Emir of Qatar). The latter always has covered up hair and hems to the ankles, while positively dripping in jewels and couture: eye-catchingly modest. 

It's kind of strange to see Queen Helena here being the stuffy royal on one hand, desperate for her son to marry a suitable girl but dressed/styled the way she is. For life, it's fine, if flashy, but it'd go over pretty badly with the horsey garden party set.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

I know very little about the royal families and English aristocracy, so I'm certainly receiving an education in what the show gets wrong.  What I can't get over is that Liam and Eleanor are supposed to be 21.  Both actors look older, and the Liam actor seems to play the character as older.  I don't know why they couldn't have been mid-to-late 20s.

Deliciously trashy show, quite enjoying it. My small nitpick is that though I love the girl playing the princess, her accent entirely wrong. She does look as though she could be Elizabeth Hurley's daughter, though.

• Love 5

Deliciously trashy show, quite enjoying it. My small nitpick is that though I love the girl playing the princess, her accent entirely wrong. She does look as though she could be Elizabeth Hurley's daughter, though.

Alexandra Park, who plays Princess Eleanor, is Australian.

This show is currently my favorite guilty pleasure TV. Still have a few episodes of Made in Chelsea DVR'd from the now-defunct Style network.

• Love 2

Nitpick after the most recent episode: haven't Liam and Eleanor received any PR training? Even if they are "spares", they still represent the monarchy. Case in point: Harry. He's had his moments but overall conducts himself well in public settings. Liam and Eleanor have apparently never interacted with anyone outside their own circle or without the aid of drugs.

• Love 1

Ok this is my own crazy nitpick, but I hate that Ophelia is named Ophelia. It's such an uncommon name in the USA. I know she's supposed to be half British, but why go through the trouble of making her one personality trait her American outsider-ness and then give her such a British name? It's jaring every time someone says it. I keep feeling like she should be named Lauren or Ashley or something.

Edited by FozzyBear
  • Love 1
(edited)

Moreover, there is no King of England and there hasn't been one since William III dropped dead in 1702.

Actually, Edward VII from 1901-1910, George V from 1910-1936, Edward VIII in 1936, and George VI from 1936-1952.

Edited by Locutus
  • Love 2

Moreover, there is no King of England and there hasn't been one since William III dropped dead in 1702.

Actually, Edward VII from 1901-1910, George V from 1910-1936, Edward VIII in 1936, and George VI from 1936-1952.

THAT the two Kingdoms of England and Scotland shall upon the first Day of May which shall be in the Year one thousand seven hundred and seven, and for ever after, be united into one Kingdom by the Name of Great Britain...  Union with Scotland Act 1706, Article I

That the Two Kingdoms of Scotland and England shall upon the first day of May next ensuing the date hereof and forever after be United into One Kingdom by the Name of Great Britain...  Union with England Act of 1707, Section 1

As noted before, William III died in 1702.  He was succeeded by Anne, who was Queen of England and Scotland at the time the Acts took effect.

• Love 3
(edited)

The Royals and their friends, lovers, and servants continually refer to the fact that they're the "King of England" or the "Queen of England" or the "Future King of England."

The fact that the current monarch is the Queen/King of the United Kingdom, not of England, is one thing.

More annoying is their constant referral to their current or future title. This would not happen. 

Edited by remotecontrolfreak
  • Love 2

The Royals and their friends, lovers, and servants continually refer to the fact that they're the "King of England" or the "Queen of England" or the "Future King of England."

The fact that the current monarch is the Queen/King of the United Kingdom, not of England, is one thing.

More annoying is their constant referral to their current or future title. This would not happen. 

The media published Princess Charlotte's birth certificate, and her parents' occupations are listed as Prince and Princess of the United Kingdom.

I think the point is that they wouldn't refer to themselves as such as they went about their business-- they *know* they are. The show seems to think we need a reminder very 5 minutes. I mean, I know it's killing brain cells, but seriously?

• Love 3

I think the point is that they wouldn't refer to themselves as such as they went about their business-- they *know* they are. The show seems to think we need a reminder very 5 minutes. I mean, I know it's killing brain cells, but seriously?

I actually kind of like it—it's a campy soap opera trope.

• Love 2

RE: The paternity testing on Liam and Eleanor. Due to the (exhaustive) research others in my profession have done, since the King and Queen were married at the time of conception, it really didn't matter who their father was; they are still considered in the line of succession for the throne since they're legitimate. They wouldn't have been the first peers to be fathered by someone else...

• Love 1

Ok this is my own crazy nitpick, but I hate that Ophelia is named Ophelia. It's such an uncommon name in the USA. I know she's supposed to be half British, but why go through the trouble of making her one personality trait her American outsider-ness and then give her such a British name? It's jaring every time someone says it. I keep feeling like she should be named Lauren or Ashley or something.

The show is kind of based off of Hamlet, or a novel called Falling For Hamlet (according to wikipedia), in which the mc is named Ophelia. her name is a nod to this!

• Love 3

The media published Princess Charlotte's birth certificate, and her parents' occupations are listed as Prince and Princess of the United Kingdom.

Yes, as I said, no one since the 18th century has been a King, Queen, Prince or Princess of England.

I actually kind of like it—it's a campy soap opera trope.

That's being charitable. 

• Love 1

And the nitpicking thread only has 21 posts? I attribute that to the fact that no one is watching , not that this show got everything spot on. Really? I'm surprised that this got a second episode let alone a second season. Well, it's brought to you by the same folks that bring us the Kardashians so I shouldn't be surprised.

• Love 1
And the nitpicking thread only has 21 posts? I attribute that to the fact that no one is watching , not that this show got everything spot on. Really? I'm surprised that this got a second episode let alone a second season. Well, it's brought to you by the same folks that bring us the Kardashians so I shouldn't be surprised.

Probably because you can only nitpick the same stuff so many times! ;) I'm sure when the new season starts we'll have material to work with.

I'm not nitpicking because I consider The Royals to be an "alternate universe" show about a might-have-been British royal family. I fully realize that it's not supposed to be real in any way, and I'm enjoying it far too much to expect it to be real!

• Love 6

I'm not nitpicking because I consider The Royals to be an "alternate universe" show about a might-have-been British royal family. I fully realize that it's not supposed to be real in any way, and I'm enjoying it far too much to expect it to be real!

Hear, hear :-) Seriously, having just binge-watched it up to the last episode, once you accept all the inconsistencies, it is so much fun!

• Love 2

Sure, but it has actually been an issue over the last couple of years that the Queen of England would very much like to remain the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Of course in this show's alternate universe the rest of the UK probably declared independence a long time ago and got the hell out of dodge. I mean all monarchies have "colourful" history , but these guys.........nah.

Sure, but it has actually been an issue over the last couple of years that the Queen of England would very much like to remain the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Of course in this show's alternate universe the rest of the UK probably declared independence a long time ago and got the hell out of dodge. I mean all monarchies have "colourful" history , but these guys.........nah.

Good point!

I look at this show the funhouse mirror version of all those Hallmark-type Christmas movies populated with British actors but are set in "Castlebury" or "Winshire". The stories are as tame as The Royals is wild. The prince/princess is always desperate to escape an impending arranged marriage, when real European royals have long moved away from that sort of thing.