Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E21: Top 10 Perform

• Start Topic

My two cents on arrangements is that delivering a song at a dirge-like tempo while staring meaningfully into the camera does not make you deep.  Been there, seen that.

• Love 6

Nothing - but at some point I am going to want to hear something with a little weight from these contestants (and conversely, if all you're doing is meaty songs, I'd like to hear a light, flirty song).  It should be about balance (which is what some of the better Idol contestants have done in the past - they knew how to play the game).

Fair enough.  Although, I still hate it when a 16 year old tries to sing a meaningful song about stuff they know nothing about.  I guess that's where knowing which songs to choose comes in handy.  Maybe I'm just happy that we have yet to be subjected to 2 hours worth of ballads (or nearly so).  These kids are mixing it up a little.

Maybe because of the songs on the rather limited list, Joey felt she could connect most strongly with Mad World and show us her emotional connection to a song (something Harry feels quite strongly about). And even though Adam Lambert did well with that song, I thought there was enough difference between the two versions (at least emotionally).

I've heard that there is limited song list from which the contestants can choose a song for that week's theme. I've also heard that sometimes, even though the song is on the list, it's not cleared for use and another song has to be chosen. This usually results in less time for the contestant to rehearse the song.

All this about Harry defining "arrangement"... I think we need to cut him a break on that. To him, there's NO musical term that needs definition, he's been playing since he was three years old! No doubt he's been told to define the terms he's using because the wider audience doesn't know what they mean, but since they all seem equally simple and obvious to him, he has no idea what needs definition and what doesn't. He can't possibly have a frame of reference as to what a "general audience" would understand and what they wouldn't.

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 6

All this about Harry defining "arrangement"... I think we need to cut him a break on that. To him, there's NO musical term that needs definition, he's been playing since he was three years old! No doubt he's been told to define the terms he's using because the wider audience doesn't know what they mean, but since they all seem equally simple and obvious to him, he has no idea what needs definition and what doesn't. He can't possibly have a frame of reference as to what a "general audience" would understand and what they wouldn't.

Sure there is (a frame of reference for him, I mean).

People have used the term "arrangement" not only on this show for 14 seasons, but also on many similar shows.  While there might be some listeners who somehow managed to not get the gist after hearing it used in context over a 13 year period, it should be fairly obvious, even to someone as "sheltered" as Harry in that sense that hearing it contextually used literally hundreds of times before would give most people a clue.

That said, I still think Jennifer acting like she discovered Sia for the world was just as lame (and celeb-meathead-funny).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

Yeah, I've known of Sia since her 2005 hit "Breathe Me".  She wrote a lot of other hits in the last five years for other singers, including "Titanium".  Then of course "Chandelier".  Plus she's been a mentor on The Voice.  

Arrangement is a common word and I feel that the meaning as it relates to songs is fairly obvious, even to those who don't know musical terms at all (like me).  Or at least it's not so arcane that anyone should be left scratching their head in the context Harry used it.  

I just am finally watching this episode (shows how interested I am in this season), but I was sad that Tyanna was such a disaster. She is really good, I did not enjoy seeing her struggle.

I liked Quentin and no one else. (Maybe I'm tone deaf bc I don't think he was horribly out of tune like Harry said). I don't care for Joey one bit, and he serious business artist persona does no more for me than her quirky squeezebox persona. Yuck, Joey.

My two cents on arrangements is that delivering a song at a dirge-like tempo while staring meaningfully into the camera does not make you deep.  Been there, seen that.

I agree with this to a point...It can certainly be a gimmick. And even among those who make legitimate use of it, doing this more often than not will come off as a crutch. However, some people really do have the hypnotic, haunting quality it takes to pull this off. Which doesn't mean they should rely on it completely - an album full of this from anyone would get old - but it can be a trademark of sorts. Now, I don't know that Quentin has what it takes for a successful career in any case, but he does have a "way" with these arrangements vocally and visually as far as I can see. His challenge will be in being brave enough to step out of his comfort zone here and there, and being able to gauge when those times should fall.

But he wouldn't think ANY of the words he uses need definition, and clearly some producer told him they do.

But you can recognize that some words are unique to your field and some are everyday words. Harry uses the words 'guitar' and 'ballad' freely because he knows they're common words in addition to being music-related words.  It's not that hard to distinguish between specialized vocabulary and non, if you're being paid millions to do so, I think.  

Fair enough.  Although, I still hate it when a 16 year old tries to sing a meaningful song about stuff they know nothing about.

I remember being 16, though, and really feeling the songs I was hearing on the radio and thinking I knew exactly how it felt to be in love and to have my heart broken and to love someone but not be able to tell him so, etc. Now, of course, in my 40s, I know that I didn't know anything then, but at 16, I thought I did. Maybe 16-year-olds just don't know how to express what they feel.

I agree with this to a point...It can certainly be a gimmick. And even among those who make legitimate use of it, doing this more often than not will come off as a crutch. However, some people really do have the hypnotic, haunting quality it takes to pull this off.

Makes me think of Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U" video.

• Love 1

But he wouldn't think ANY of the words he uses need definition, and clearly some producer told him they do.

In Harry's defense, although most people know the term arrangement, I thing that Harry was going for its technical meaning as to what is involved in an arrangement. He realized it was going to take more time, to explain, than he had.

• Love 1

Now, of course, in my 40s, I know that I didn't know anything then, but at 16, I thought I did.

So can we make it a new rule then that nobody under the age of 35 is allowed to sing "At Last"?  I don't mean on American Idol.  I mean in the entire universe.

I'm one of those that watch this because there is nothing else on, I think this season is pretty bad.

Daniel can leave at any time, too soon, not ready yet.

I think Quentin and Joey are great - unfortunately too artsy for mainstream America which means they are not long for this competition.

Everybody else - meh.

Hubby watched with me, he's one of those that absolutely HATES when anybody changes a song from the original - he thinks that all songs should be karoke versions of the original. When I stood up and applauded Quentin he looked at me like I had 10 heads - I thought it was great, he thought it sucked.

• Love 1

So can we make it a new rule then that nobody under the age of 35 is allowed to sing "At Last"?  I don't mean on American Idol.  I mean in the entire universe.

I'd like a rule that no one at all can sing it just because I'm tired of it, mostly thanks to American Idol.

I'd like a rule that no one at all can sing it just because I'm tired of it, mostly thanks to American Idol.

I had no idea what song "At Last" was so I googled the lyrics.  Still no idea, I googled "at last american idol".  All that came up was Kelly Clarkson's audition and Josh C. on X Factor, at least on the first page.  So I feel a little better not knowing it!    

I don't think it was ever (or hardly ever since apparently Kelly Clarkson did it) by people who made the show -- or even made it past the first televised audition. But American Idol is the only reason I know the song since I don't listen to radio stations that would play it, and I don't watch The Voice. All I know are the first four lines. I think that's all anyone ever got out.

• Love 1

Candice Coleman (S2 semifinalist) sang it for her audition.

Hollie Cavanagh (S11, 4th place) sang it for her first audition back in S10, when she was a shakier singer.

Katie Stevens (S9, tied for 8th) sang it for her audition as well.

I'm probably missing a LOT of people.

I wasn't complaining that I've heard "At Last" too many times on Idol.  That honor goes primarily to the Mariah/Whitney/Alicia canon.  My point was that it's absurd to hear a 19-year-old announcing, "At last, my love has come along-- my lonely days are over!".  It reminds me of a co-worker I once had who as a new homeowner informed me that she had been saving for a house her "whole life".  She was 24.

• Love 1

I know what you mean.  But I think that's the nature of love and especially love songs-- *this* one is *the* one.

So how do you like the One Direction lads' hit "The Story of My Life"?  Heh.

I wasn't complaining that I've heard "At Last" too many times on Idol. That honor goes primarily to the Mariah/Whitney/Alicia canon. My point was that it's absurd to hear a 19-year-old announcing, "At last, my love has come along-- my lonely days are over!". It reminds me of a co-worker I once had who as a new homeowner informed me that she had been saving for a house her "whole life". She was 24.

This was also a pet peeve of Simon. He would question a contestants choice of song when he felt that the lyrics didn't match their age. Simon even went as far as to give a contestant a negative review for non age appropriate lyrics when it was a song written, by the shows own song writers, for the contestant. I also remember that Simon gave out negative reviews for a song choice when the song was actually chosen by the producers.

Edited by Waldo13
  • Love 2

This was also a pet peeve of Simon. He would question a contestants choice of song when he felt that the lyrics didn't match their age. Simon even went as far as to give a contestant a negative review for non age appropriate lyrics when it was a song written, by the shows own song writers, for the contestant. I also remember that Simon gave out negative reviews for a song choice when the song was actually chosen by the producers.

I think Harry is like Simon in that respect but just says it a bit differently.

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn