Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Daisy & Marcus

So for the first time in Catfish history, the person was who they actually claimed to be! And then anticlimactically, Daisy was bitchy when she met Marcus, and Marcus wasn't interested in her romantically. Huh.

• Love 2

That was strange. Like everyone else, I was surprised to see that Marcus was exactly who he said he was, but there was something very odd about him. I don't know if it was because Daisy kept pushing for a relationship & he didn't want one & didn't have the guts to tell her, or if he was hiding something. It's strange that he wouldn't talk on the phone at all, or wouldn't even send her a cheap birthday card, but Daisy was really needy (can't believe her mother blamed her for her father's death!) so maybe he pulled away in response to her pushing. Anyway, it was a weird episode.

• Love 4

Daisy, he's just not that into you. If he wanted to call, videochat, send a birthday card (that made me feel bad for her...any decent friend would not refuse to do this) he would have done so without prompting/begging. The mom was an asshole but she was right about how it would end. The buying gifts/sending money was too much. He said he was uncomfortable with anything more than texting, but he was comfortable enough to keep the stuff. Essentially tonight we saw what happens when the catfish ends up being who they are and semi decent looking: all is forgiven.

• Love 10

Hmm, such a weird episode. I didn't catch how long they had been communicating, but it sure seemed like a long time. THat's the problem with online relationships. They go on and on, sometimes for years, people get invested, then you finally meet and no chemistry. 

Daisy had all kinds of issues that having a boyfriend wasn't going to solve. I didn't understand Marcus, not sure if he was just shy or there were other problems there. So I wasn't surprised at the follow up that said that they were still in touch, but little else. 

It was obvious that Nev really liked Daisy. I think he was kind of into her also. And he couldn't understand why Marcus wasn't also. Well, Daisy came on very strong, and not all guys are into the whole Miley shaved head, I'm a loud chick thing. 

• Love 3

So for the first time in Catfish history, the person was who they actually claimed to be!

This has happened at least one a season.

I think this case was just a regular ol' "He's not that into you". He was probably happy to text with her in his free time and happy to receive gifts but not interested beyond that. He also looked dirty... crustiness in the corners of his lips when they first met and just grimy looking in general.

• Love 6

How do you go meet someone and you can't even wipe the white crust off your lips? That was pretty gross... but Daisy was into it...lol.

His whole demeanor was just odd... supposedly a music producer yet too shy to talk on the phone and too broke to send a post card?

And accepting $2,000 worth of gifts and money? Didn't seem like a stand up guy.

In the update also said "why have one slice when you can sample them all"... again, doesn't sound like a shy guy to me. He obviously wasn't that into her, seems the mother was right. He was using her.

Daisy was really into him despite all of that, she came on way too strong, she practically begged him for a relationship as soon as he sat down, and you could see the hurt in her eyes as he played her off. I guess its easy to picture someone so perfectly until you actually meet them. She dodged a bullet though, he def didn't seem like a standup guy.

• Love 4

She would have been better off spending that 2k on a therapist to listen to her problems. It's pretty obvious their "relationship" didn't really mean much to him, and she had created something much bigger in her head. He had no interest in actually meeting her-- he was fine having a friend to text with when he got bored.

• Love 9

I get the feeling that Marcus was just perfectly happy keeping the relationship confined to gifts he didn't have to reciprocate, dirty pictures, and texting. I wouldn't be surprised if he has similar relationships with other girls, not just Daisy. I didn't really like Daisy, and thought she was kind of needy/dumb about the whole thing, but if the whole story with her mom was true, I can see why she would have been taken by all of this. Her sister seemed cool.

I almost was not surprised that it was him, mostly because Nev was so down on the idea of it being him and even guessed girl. I thought the episode was kind of a letdown, and Tyler was just kind of there as a co host. Nothing too big to snark on, but he also wasn't very entertaining.

My question is, will we ever have a catfish who is older? This ep kind of teased the idea by guessing it may be Marcus's mom, but I get the feeling that a significantly older catfish happens a lot more than you see on this show.

• Love 4

I hope Daisy can gain some distance from her mother (and from those terribly unflattering leapord print tights!!!)  This reminded me a bit of the other instagram hookup we saw on Catfish--both went nowhere, though the first one was sweeter and more interesting.  It sounds like Marcus more or less expressed that he wasn't in for a serious long-distance relationship, but she still held out hope despite his discouragement.  I guess it's true that if no one is going to move, all they are is chat-buddies.

• Love 2

I think this case was just a regular ol' "He's not that into you". He was probably happy to text with her in his free time and happy to receive gifts but not interested beyond that. He also looked dirty... crustiness in the corners of his lips when they first met and just grimy looking in general.

Must be good with Instagram filters, or he just bothers to clean up for selfies and doesn't interact as much with people offline. It was like the clock striking midnight and Cinderella's fairy godmother bling going poof...

My question is, will we ever have a catfish who is older? This ep kind of teased the idea by guessing it may be Marcus's mom, but I get the feeling that a significantly older catfish happens a lot more than you see on this show.

They seem to have decided to avoid those cases, even though it happened in Nev's own catfishing.

• Love 3

Must be good with Instagram filters, or he just bothers to clean up for selfies and doesn't interact as much with people offline. It was like the clock striking midnight and Cinderella's fairy godmother bling going poof...

They seem to have decided to avoid those cases, even though it happened in Nev's own catfishing.

It's MTV. Demo thing.

• Love 1

She has an online following within the vaping community?

I feel super-old that I don't even completely know what this means.  I mean, I know what vaping is, but I had no idea there was a community about it in which one can attain a following.  I hate society.

• Love 13

I feel super-old that I don't even completely know what this means.  I mean, I know what vaping is, but I had no idea there was a community about it in which one can attain a following.  I hate society.

You're not alone.... I still can't figure out how one obtains followers over vaping.... Like, do you achieve it by blowing super unique smoke clouds or decorate your vape with the most expensive diamonds? I am dumbfounded.... I don't think I am super old since I was born in the 80's + experienced adolescence in the 90s....

Edited by OrientalAmish
  • Love 4

I had no idea there was a Catfish podcast. Thanks Tara! I have a weird fascination with Nev and his dweeby antics. Supposedly a therapist is available to the Catfish if needed...hope Daisy made full use of that. 

• Love 2

I found Daisy's behavior really off putting...and just weird. Pretty face, but those tacky getups did her no favors. There IS a vaping community, ha ha! Some of the really experienced vapers have huge followings because they post videos on youtube, showing people how to rebuild coils and reviewing new mods (I'm getting too technical with the jargon here, I know).

• Love 1

I get the feeling that a significantly older catfish happens a lot more than you see on this show.

And I wonder how many of them turn out to be married, and then it doesn't end up on the show.

Daisy's mother is a horrible human being.

• Love 6

Oh God I had no idea there was a podcast!! I already "watch" this show while doing laundry I can't imagine having to pay any MORE attention to Nev. Although it sounds like listening to the podcast and maybe watching the episode on mute is the way to go? For now, thanks for biting the bullet for us Tara!

• Love 1

I just see Justin Bieber.

"Badger pelt" alone was worth the admission price.

Kids, just smoke cigarettes like your parents and their parents and their parents, etc. did. Support the dying tobacco industry! Eat lead paint! Red dye! Thalidomide!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

Marcus was high as hell during their first meeting with the cotton-mouthed crusts in the corners of his mouth and the glazed eye, dopey smile thing. I do agree, his cousin was fine looking. Either this kook Marcus thinks he a "legend in his own mind", juggling and receiving gifts from all his slices of pie or he's just really closed in, with major issue detachment syndrome. 

Did they ever sext or talk at all beyond a friendship? Nev made a quick comment while he browsed her texts and made a comment about some pictures Daisy must've sent Marcus, like they were naked shots or something. "Oh! I can see why Marcus is into you. ~nervous laugh~" says Nev. 

Or did Marcus alway keep it on a friend level with this girl? I say no. He led her on. A little dirty talk. I'm sure he knew she was deeply into him. He should have never accepted those gifts. Daisy sent the camera in the hopes, he'd video with her.

I'm thinking after Catfish packed up and went away, Marcus smoked another doob and laughed about the stupid girl that thought he liked her as more than a friend. 

Nope, Marcus was not cute in person and i had a soft spot for Daisy. She has a hard ass mom who said a horrible thing to her daughter. I would normally forgive something said in the midst of grieving your husband, but with time she should have apologized to Daisy. It was not her fault her dad died.

Glad her sister is supportive. I think in 5 years, Daisy will find her true self, her looks will show it and she'll be in a better place. Maybe away from mom. 

• Love 5

Before, any one of us pity Daisy. let's not forget that she + Marcus "apparently smashed".....

Whoa, I somehow missed that tidbit! So they bumped selfies during filming of the episode? When..? That night at the hotel, in between coffee with Nev and the closing interview? It sounds so unromantic to me.

I hope his crust was confined to the corners of his lips.

1173747610.jpg

This picture alone makes me LOL....

I am so bad!

Hehe, I feel bad for laughing. I do think Daisy is very pretty, but she has a bit much going on there.

• Love 2

My theory - the "cousin" was actually Marcus' boyfriend?

I didn't sense any chemistry between Marcus and Daisy.  He really wasn't that good looking in person - short and boring - and she came off needy and over bearing.

• Love 3

I spent half the episode wondering why she chose those leopard stretch pants to wear on national TV.  Of course I don't believe in wearing stretch pants as pants at all.

Around here, the current style seems to be black stretch pants, but I think the pattern would be helpful to anyone who probably shouldn't be wearing stretch pants.

I think Daisy needs serious therapy.  Her mother seemed tough, I wonder if her father was tough too. I could tell Daisy was hoping Marcus would be her knight in shining armor, crusty mouth and all and he would take her away from her hard ass mother and her crazy life.  

I thought it was telling when Nev asked what she wanted out of the relationship and she immediately said she wanted a relationship, a ring on her finger.  Strange considering she never even spoke to or met the man.  

It bothered me when Daisy said she'd given Marcus money.  Online fantasies are one thing but once you start giving money to somebody you don't know, no bueno.  

• Love 7

So for the first time in Catfish history, the person was who they actually claimed to be! And then anticlimactically, Daisy was bitchy when she met Marcus, and Marcus wasn't interested in her romantically. Huh.

This has happened at least one a season.

Yep - season one I believe? And they got married or at least engaged. 

I forgot about the gifts she sent. That was weird. She must have been desperate for his attention to send money and gifts. And WTF is up with him accepting gifts from someone on the Internet? 

And WHYYYYYY did her mom agree to pay for those gifts?!?!  As much as her mom seemed to resent her, I didn't get that AT ALL. 

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 5

Yep - season one I believe? And they got married or at least engaged. 

And WHYYYYYY did her mom agree to pay for those gifts?!?!  As much as her mom seemed to resent her, I didn't get that AT ALL. 

One word- dysfunctionalityandmessedupparentalguidance...

• Love 3

This picture alone makes me LOL....

I am so bad!

It's like a try-hard sundae smorgasbord casserole.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=try-hard&defid=2639394

<other people were as repulsed as I was by Marcus' mouth smegma. Those producers are evil monsters for not wiping that shit off his face first.>

Hi def big screens are not always a good thing, are they?  :)

Edited by cheatincheetos
  • Love 3

Whoa, I somehow missed that tidbit! So they bumped selfies during filming of the episode? When..? That night at the hotel, in between coffee with Nev and the closing interview? It sounds so unromantic to me.

I hope his crust was confined to the corners of his lips.

Hehe, I feel bad for laughing. I do think Daisy is very pretty, but she has a bit much going on there.

Yup.....

I found this under the hugs portion in recap: "Lots of hugs -- and, according to Nev on his podcast, Daisy and Marcus also "smashed" (fucked) on the night they met, which, given the above conversation, is fucking heartbreaking."

I think Daisy is pretty as well, but her "Pink meets Miley" look is not really flattering her, IMO.... 

There's actually been a lot. The infamous Lauren and Derek, the emo kid, the guy who got arrested for weapons of mass destruction, the dorky-looking rapper named Albert. There was one girl who was real, but they tried to act like she was being deceptive because she only sent the guy face shots. I think there were a couple more as well.

Edited by Universalhunter
  • Love 4

I'm listening to the Podcast now, it's her sister that's big in the vaping community, not Daisy.

Also... am I the only one who noticed that in the e-mail Nev read "from Daisy" in the beginning of the episode she said she met Marcus summer of 2012, but when they Skyped, she said summer of 2013?

I'm listening to the Podcast now, it's her sister that's big in the vaping community, not Daisy.

Why does this make me feel even worse for Daisy? Like, she can't even have The Vaping Community? She has to be adjacent to a famous sister in The VC? Daisy, find better people to know. 

• Love 10

Why does this make me feel even worse for Daisy? Like, she can't even have The Vaping Community? She has to be adjacent to a famous sister in The VC? Daisy, find better people to know. 

Right? I think what made me feel worse is while they were discussing her sister, Tyler asked Nev what her name was, and neither could recall, so  he's all "Can we just call her God? Let's call her God." Then Nev did ths "ehhh" kind of sound and Tyler quickly responds with "We don't have to call her God."

Poor Daisy, why is everyone in love with her nameless sister?

• Love 1