Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 3/23/15

Fox News gets something right (and even that's debatable)

Debatable indeed. There is a wide freaking canyon between "not enough admissible evidence to prosecute Wilson for denial of human rights, which has an extremely high prosecutorial bar" and "Nuh-uh, didn't happen." In other words: stfu, Foxholes.

Snif: Bye, Jason! ::blows kisses::

• Love 5
I enjoyed seeing all those clips, but this farewell didn't have the emotional impact on me that John Oliver's tribute did. I suppose a big reason is because John got so emotional.

John didn't seem to be expecting his sendoff, whereas Jason did.

Is it me or does Jason Jones look better now than in any of the clips?

In that he's wearing a shirt? I'd say yeah.

Not to mention pants.

LOL at Fox News congratulating itself. Yes, you were right! For once! Whee!

Fox News never fails to crack me up with their loathing of the mainstream media. Who do they think they are? They're the mainstreamiest! I love how they like to consider themselves some sort of DIY indie group. 

• Love 3

Is it me or does Jason Jones look better now than in any of the clips?

yesss....

In that he's wearing a shirt? I'd say yeah.

yessss....

Well, there's that.  But he actually seemed like leaner and cleaner and ... well rested??

yesssssssssss....

Not to mention pants.

(sobbing uncontrollably) Now I really am gonna miss Jason!!! I guess his departure means a new beginning. It's pretty safe to say he's ready to stop being a beefcake and pursue his dreams. Even though he's gone, I'm very happy he's healthy and humble, compared to other times.

Well, that story about the rape college was disheartening and frustrating.  What is it with some universities that just awaken a young man's predatory nature.  Is it being around similar men?  Then again, what do I know?

And for all you Californian previously.tv junkies, how are you handling the severe drought?  Are people leaving California a la The Grapes of Wrath?  How has this affected your bathing or showering?  What about cooking?  I'm asking this because I'm afraid the backstory of Urinetown is coming true.

And as for the "Pot Kingpin", all I can think of is that poor deer.  But if the vets say that the marijuana isn't hurting him (or was it her?), who am I to judge?........I can judge plenty, but I can't think of anything right now.  You all who are a lot more clever than I are sure to have much to say on this, along with the rape college.

I have been conserving water ever since I moved to SoCal in 1985.  I stopped watering anything in my yard well over a decade ago - and yes, I have healthy trees and flowering plants and an overgrown honeysuckle & jasmine "fence" that drives my neighbor nuts.  It's amazing what grows when you let nature take it's course (only the strong survive!!!).  Since I retired, I take less showers and hardly ever do laundry, so there's not much more I can do, other than lead by example.  This drought is a huge problem, but unless there are agricultural solutions, the mandated cuts to household yard watering and restaurant water glasses aren't going to make much of a difference.  Perhaps this climate change will finally get people to reconsider the types of crops being grown in specific regions of our country.  Change is difficult and painful, but it is inevitable.

Because I cannot say it often enough: Fuck SeaWorld.

• Love 4

Because I cannot say it often enough: Fuck SeaWorld.

walnutqueen, if I could like this quote of yours a gazillion million times, I would.

Note to self: must get Beneath the Surface.  I've only watched Blackfish three times. I can't watch it anymore, because I get so angry, then there's the guilt, and then just grief and sadness. When the mother is wailing as her calf is being taken from her? I can't bear to hear it or see it again. 

• Love 2

walnutqueen, if I could like this quote of yours a gazillion million times, I would.

Note to self: must get Beneath the Surface.  I've only watched Blackfish three times. I can't watch it anymore, because I get so angry, then there's the guilt, and then just grief and sadness. When the mother is wailing as her calf is being taken from her? I can't bear to hear it or see it again. 

You are much stronger than I, GHScorpiosRule.  I forced myself to watch Blackfish once, and had to plug my ears and cover my eyes several times, even though everything was blurry through my tears.  I tell everyone I meet here in San Diego County not to support those SeaWorld c**********, who are waging a desperate campaign to redeem their image here, to little avail.  As an OG Pacific Northwesterner who has experienced the joy of seeing Orcas in the wild many times, this shite is just devastating to me.

• Love 1

You are much stronger than I, GHScorpiosRule.  I forced myself to watch Blackfish once, and had to plug my ears and cover my eyes several times, even though everything was blurry through my tears.  I tell everyone I meet here in San Diego County not to support those SeaWorld c**********, who are waging a desperate campaign to redeem their image here, to little avail.  As an OG Pacific Northwesterner who has experienced the joy of seeing Orcas in the wild many times, this shite is just devastating to me.

The only reason I watched as many times was so I could make out what those ratbastards were saying in court. Something about comparing what they were doing, not doing, to a woman being raped or some shit like that. And the woman who said that, walked out of the courtroom with a shit eating grin on her face that made me want to snatch her bald through my screen.

• Love 1

Jason's tribute left me oddly cold. I thought they made a bigger deal with that hump Michael Che, who not only wasn't funny and contributed nothing, but was only on the show a short time. I thought they'd at least bring Samantha out. The whole thing just seemed strangely detached. JMO.

I love how they like to consider themselves some sort of DIY indie group.

That blond woman on FN that TDS shows all the time always looks so smug. Maybe because she always seems to be saying such outrageous drivel. 

I mean, give me a break, all of the news channels are basically news entertainment channels. They're ratings driven so they're all going to have some directed focus. "I'm so glad Fox News is covering *this*." Well, probably a bunch of people got together in the production room and said, "ok, how do we cover Furgeson? Well, are viewers are basically old white people who are scared of black people, so let's take the angle that he was just doing his job. What about the report with the systemic racism? Let's just not go there and focus on the guy and how hard it is to be a cop. Which, it is hard, so we're not out and out lying or anything." I defy anyone to tell me that something like that isn't happening. 

I don't watch msnbc, but I would guess they do something similar although it seems like from the few clips I've seen that they aren't as egregious. Probably because they have a wider viewership, and I'd dare say more intelligent. Everyone on FN seems just so *mean*.

I couldn't believe they actually said, "reinforce their world view." Oy, hypocrite much? 

Why do people go on FN? Like why does that guy even bother snipping at them that they'll be "holding their breath a long time." 

The SeaWorld situation is crushing. I can hardly bear to think about it, and I'm not even a cetacean. It's one of those things that really make it hard to understand how humans are able to exist, with so little empathy or honor. Using photos of separated whales to demonstrate that they are not separated is the kind of shamelesssness that makes me understand how it's possible to conclude we are incapable of moral behavior. I don't think it's an accident or act of stupidity as was suggested during the interview.

Going back to the interview with Ayaan Hirsi Ali earlier this week: Christianity is older than Islam. At similar ages, it had witchburning, Crusades, and Inquisition, right? Even excommunication was pretty much a death sentence in a world where religious and secular power were one, and a monopoly.

I was very tired and dozed off during part of the interview and need to watch again to get clear on the details of what was being said, but I don't think Islam as a religion, or the general population of Muslims, is inherently worse in behavior than Xtianity or the masses of Xtians, nor that Xtianity is beyond horrors in the present day. But if the point being made was that a reformation-like change within Islam is needed, to question some of the abuses done in its name, I think that's not a bad analogy-- there are already plenty of sane non-violent Muslims. But there are some politically powerful factions that behave a lot like the Xtian church before it got a major dose of institutionalized, politically powerful dissent and had an organized challenge from within on religious grounds, and also lost some of its secular power.

Jon seemed to be focused on the idea of "purity" in the Xtian Reformation, and to associate "purity" with the more abusive factions of all religions, but my understanding from the little I know of Xtian history as learned in public school (I'm Jewish, so I didn't study it at home), there was an objection to political corruption in the Catholic Church, like the buying of indulgences (paying money to the Church to absolve sins, rather than doing behavioral penance or moral reform through the confessional) and other such things that have more to do with politics than theology. There was Henry VIII also, wanting freedom to divorce, in his own rebellion against centralized Catholic Church power. So, a number of things contributed to people rebelling against centralized control by one over-arching religious authority. Wasn't the main theological change about whether the Pope was the only route to God, vs committees of people coming up with locally-driven practices and forming splinter groups which developed their own religious opinions? Thus the many Protestant churches, vs the One and Only Catholic Church under the One and Only Pope-and-his-one-and-only-hierarchy.

I have to say, though, that the institutional power abuses of our very own secular USofA, have done at least as much and possibly more large-scale damage to the world than any current abuses by any of the religions or religiously-governed nation-states. We have been responsible for genocide, slavery, global environmental destruction, and have killed, crapped on, and generally dominated the entire planet in the name of no religion other than "we are the greatest and will take what we desire."

Colonialism may not be what we call it, but it's basically the same effect. We just do it from a distance with political, economic, and military machinations instead of kidnapping and residential plunder, no longer wanting to look our destruction in the eye. Islamic states have mostly confined themselves to local dominion, but we have taken the liberty of doing our disgusting behaviors all over the planet and even left our litter on the moon.

It's a hard sell, trying to be proud of our humanity, whether the focus is on Sea World, or elsewhere.

• Love 2

That blond woman on FN that TDS shows all the time always looks so smug. Maybe because she always seems to be saying such outrageous drivel. 

I currently work with people who used to work with Megyn Kelly. All I can say is none of her former coworkers seem remotely surprised that she ended up as the pin-up girl for the white male grievance industry.

As for Sea World, the whole situation breaks my heart. Not just because of the animal abuse but because I know that I helped support it. Sea World was one of my favorite places on Earth as a kid. My mom could get us in for free with Hawaiian Punch labels (who remembers when Hawaiian Punch was sold in metal cans?). 

Sea World is going to go under eventually. The only question is whether its sooner or later. The only question for me is what to do with the animals currently imprisoned at the parks. 

Edited by marceline
  • Love 1

I currently work with people who used to work with Megyn Kelly. All I can say is none of her former coworkers seem remotely surprised that she ended up as the pin-up girl for the white male grievance industry.

When I see the young blonde Fox newsbabes on TDS I always wonder what will happen to them in 10-15 years -- I'm reminded of the title of Christine Craft's memoir about age discrimination in the news biz, "Too Old, Too Ugly, and Not Deferential to Men." Eventually Megyn and Elizabeth Hasselback will be swept aside for newer, hotter models, while the likes of Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity will be allowed to continue on indefinitely. I mean, Charles Krauthammer turns up reliably on TDS in those Fox segments and he looks positively troll-like (I was surprised to note that he was only 65 -- I would've guessed closer to 80). I realize there is the occasional older woman on Fox (Greta Van Susteren springs to mind) but the attractive young blondes seem so prevalent in their coverage that I can't imagine Fox won't want to restock their supply every so often. Gretchen Carlson seems to have a much lower profile on the network now that she's close to 50.

• Love 3

Jason's tribute left me oddly cold. I thought they made a bigger deal with that hump Michael Che, who not only wasn't funny and contributed nothing, but was only on the show a short time. I thought they'd at least bring Samantha out. The whole thing just seemed strangely detached. JMO.

I felt the same way.  There seemed to be a coldness between Jon and Jason.