Type keyword(s) to search

SoCharmers in the Media: The Post & Courier

• Start Topic

On 12/13/2020 at 10:35 AM, Neurochick said:

This is life today and all of us have to live life on life's terms.

I agree. I don't understand how any "reality" show that has filmed since March could possibly be "light & fluffy" unless it was filmed in New Zealand. These folks have gone from entertaining dopes to disgusting excuses for human beings & I will not be tuning in again. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 12/20/2020 at 3:52 PM, biakbiak said:

I was using “everyone” in a hyperbolic sense but many, many people have insisted she and Thomas are the only reason the show works and Cam was boring and uninteresting and needed to go. 

Cameron  WAS  boring with her Pathetically obvious Social Climbing Ways. 

I have never liked Cameron. She was mean , petty, arrogant, dull, and boring.
She simply wandered about clinging to the 💲💲
So glad that her whiny boring azz is kaput. 

• Love 5
On 12/22/2020 at 9:54 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Austin looks put together and comfortable. Hmm...a member of the no socks club...Nah Ladies. He is till not worth it  

Craigs jeans makes him look  like he is about to board a bicycle in Amsterdam. 
The new guy looks uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable. 
Shep (another member of the no socks club, but is trying with tassels on his loafers) is trying to “suck it in” too hard. 

As he hastily stepped into his loafers to run out to his car for a minute, my former boyfriend once joked, "I invoke the white man's privilege to wear shoes without socks." He probably heard it from someone else but it was funny at the time.

Add mine to the "no socks, no sex" vote.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Madison and Pringle were on WWHL last night.  She looked really good.  A caller put her on the spot and asked her if she knew what compartmentalize means....she thought she did, but got it wrong. Sad.  Regardless, of whether you like someone, public shaming someone like that isn’t kind, imo.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Madison and Pringle were on WWHL last night.  She looked really good.  A caller put her on the spot and asked her if she knew what compartmentalize means....she thought she did, but got it wrong. Sad.  Regardless, of whether you like someone, public shaming someone like that isn’t kind, imo.

That was so awkward and then Andy was basically like “no dumbass” and proceeded to define it for her 😬. I didn’t watch the episode of southern charm so I wasn’t sure why that came up but I felt bad for her in the moment on wwhl. She took it in stride though. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 1/9/2021 at 5:49 AM, Legalbeagle421 said:

That was so awkward and then Andy was basically like “no dumbass” and proceeded to define it for her 😬. I didn’t watch the episode of southern charm so I wasn’t sure why that came up but I felt bad for her in the moment on wwhl. She took it in stride though. 

It's clearly not the first time she's not known what she's talking about. And not for nothing but when Andy Cohen is the voice of reason and intelligence, well, you might wanna reevaluate your life choices.

Edited by gingerella
  • LOL 8
  • Love 8
On 1/9/2021 at 5:49 AM, Legalbeagle421 said:

Well at least the caller didn’t suggest that she had a STI and continue to argue that she did when she denied it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10

Interview with an author on a book about the racist history of the filibuster.  Turns out Kathryn's famous ancestor is the father of the Senate filibuster.  He mainly came up with the filibuster to push back against the growing abolitionist sentiment in the country and to justify and glorify slavery.

JENTLESON: Slowly, over the course of time, but primarily to serve the interests of slave states and try to preserve slavery against the march of progress and a growing majority of both states and Americans who wanted to abolish slavery. The filibuster did not exist in name or practice until about the middle of the 19th century. So this was well after all of the Founding Fathers had passed away. James Madison was one of the longest lived and an ardent opponent of the filibuster to the extent that it sort of was coming into existence in the 1830s. And he passed away in the early 1830s.

So the progenitor of the filibuster, its main innovator, was John C. Calhoun, the great nullifier, the leader, father of the Confederacy. And Calhoun innovated the filibuster for the specific purpose of empowering the planter class. He was a senator from South Carolina. His main patrons were the powerful planters. And he was seeking to create a regional constituency to empower himself against the march of progress and against - what was becoming clear was a superior economic model in the North. So Calhoun started to innovate forms of obstruction that came to be known as the filibuster.

GROSS: So you describe John Calhoun as, like, basically, the father of the filibuster. Let's be clear who he was. I mean, he not only wanted to protect slave owners, he argued that slavery created racial harmony and improved the lives of slaves. You quote him in the book. He said, never before has the Black race of Central Africa, from the dawn of history to the present day, attained a condition so civilized and improved, not only physically, but morally and intellectually. Amazing that he could justify that slavery was improving the lives of enslaved people.

JENTLESON: That's right. And it's important to note at this time, you know - not to give people of that era too much credit for being enlightened. But, you know, there was a shift in public opinion going on regarding slavery in the United States. The abolitionist movement was beginning to gain traction. And, you know, while folks weren't exactly at the enlightened state of believing in full equality, they recognized that slavery had - was, at best, a necessary evil, emphasis on the evil.

And so Calhoun took it upon himself to argue that there was nothing evil about it. In that same speech that you quoted, he went on to explain that slavery was not a necessary evil, but, quote, "a positive good." He was such an ardent defender and such a vehement racist that he couldn't even accept the sort of antebellum acknowledgement that there were parts of the institution that were evil. So it was very clear what his motivations were. He wanted to preserve slavery. And the filibuster was what he deployed to achieve that goal.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/12/955970922/kill-switch-examines-the-racist-history-of-the-senate-filibuster

• Useful 8
  • Love 1

Not sure where to put this. I don’t have time to go back in the thread but I think it was discussed here. Back when there was talk about how filming for this season had started, the rumor some weeks later was that they filmed many hours of footage and then Bravo decided that it wasn’t good enough, going in the wrong direction, no drama or chemistry, or whatever. Word was that they halted production, dumped the footage and “rewrote” the storylines, dropped and added cast members, and restarted filming. I would love to hear the inside scoop on the footage that got scrapped. Maybe Bravo will be so desperate that at some point they’ll actually show it. If it was worse than what we got this season then it must have been BAD.

Edited by RedHawk
Punctuation
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, RedHawk said:

If it was worse than what we got this season then it must’ve been BAD.

I heard that too and was thinking the same thing--if this was actually better than what they had previously filmed then it must have been really, really bad.  I do wonder if that is the real reason Cameron, Madison, and Chelsea aren't on the show anymore.  They did film a few of the first episodes and the producers didn't like it so they recast them with what we have now.  Big mistake IMHO.  Please bring back those ladies and get rid of Leva!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I’d even settle for Landyn coming back at this point which is the last thing on God’s green earth I thought I would ever find myself saying. 

Oh my gosh I was thinking the same thing, and then yesterday Bravo was airing Season 2!! How I long for the good old days, Lando and all. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Or...just get rid of Leva!  

Leva reminds me of a few “Friends Of” Real Housewives who seem so cool and fun onscreen until they’re eventually brought on as actual Real Housewives and you quickly realize that they’re only likable in small doses. I’m guessing she got bumped up to main character status after the mass exodus of Cameron/Naomi/Chelsea, hence the sudden onslaught of screen time for this otherwise somewhat unlikable newbie.

Damned shame, because I really enjoyed Leva at first, and I’ve NEVER been a Kathryn fan, but she’s truly worn out her welcome for me with the constant preachy virtue-signaling. 

• Love 14
33 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

Leva reminds me of a few “Friends Of” Real Housewives who seem so cool and fun onscreen until they’re eventually brought on as actual Real Housewives and you quickly realize that they’re only likable in small doses. I’m guessing she got bumped up to main character status after the mass exodus of Cameron/Naomi/Chelsea, hence the sudden onslaught of screen time for this otherwise somewhat unlikable newbie.

Damned shame, because I really enjoyed Leva at first, and I’ve NEVER been a Kathryn fan, but she’s truly worn out her welcome for me with the constant preachy virtue-signaling. 

Exactly. I like Leva, and I really want to root for her, but having Leva be the sole voice of racial justice was too little too late for this show. I agree with what she’s saying but her delivery comes off as strident. I totally get her frustration with Kathryn, a humanoid glob that gives stupid a bad name, but she isn’t teachable. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Babyfoot said:

Exactly. I like Leva, and I really want to root for her, but having Leva be the sole voice of racial justice was too little too late for this show. I agree with what she’s saying but her delivery comes off as strident. I totally get her frustration with Kathryn, a humanoid glob that gives stupid a bad name, but she isn’t teachable. 

We don't even know that she would do it this way IRL.

Remember, Bravo thrives on these kinds of confrontations so of course Leva trying to stage a one-woman intervention against Katherine would be like this.

Again, Bravo could have chosen to cut out a lot of these Leva scenes, kept it mostly about Austen and Madison and other trivial relationship stuff, the usual reality show fare.

Are they trying to make a big statement about racial justice?  I doubt it.  They probably like that it just happens to put Kathryn in the middle of these confrontations.

For better or worse, Kathryn is the one who generates all the attention to the show, the one who generates most controversy.  Like people who slow down to see the wreck on the highway, people are drawn to the crazy and controversial..

If they just made the show about genteel South Carolinians having tea parties, the show would not have lasted this long.  They show all these interstitials of gorgeous Charleston scenery but the cast members aren't pretty like the locale -- I don't mean physically pretty.

They know from other very popular shows like VPR and RH that you have to have people being awful to each other, petty, taunting, etc.  Nice guys definitely finish last in the Bravoverse.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, aghst said:

For better or worse, Kathryn is the one who generates all the attention to the show, the one who generates most controversy.  Like people who slow down to see the wreck on the highway, people are drawn to the crazy and controversial..

Like several of us, I liked Kathryn at the beginning and felt sorry for all the piling on.  FameWhore Andy Cohen was "in love" with her, so we saw her often.  Now he's MeanWhore Andy Cohen.  I'm sorry to see her downfall...emotionally and physically.  WHO lets her get away with the horrid hair and make-up?  That wouldn't happen in the old days.  I'm still pulling for her to be okay.  She has two little kids who have had a rough start...and I just wish they could have a normal (enough) life).

22 hours ago, aghst said:

If they just made the show about genteel South Carolinians having tea parties, the show would not have lasted this long.  They show all these interstitials of gorgeous Charleston scenery but the cast members aren't pretty like the locale -- I don't mean physically pretty.

I just wanted to compliment your use of "interstitials."

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Is this weeks episode the final for the season? I thought this new season just started in January? 

Yes, the next episode is the finale. Episode 1 for this season premiered on Oct. 29th. There were breaks for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Personally, I'm glad this awful season is coming to an end.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I’m actually finding the Behind the Scenes reruns with input from production marginally more palatable than the regular episodes. I watch it with the sound off during Kathryn’s scenes - even better.

• LOL 4

So did anyone catch the Instagram feud between Madison “I Am Very Thirsty” Lecroy and Jay “I Am Very Skanky” Cutler this weekend? The Bravo blogger accounts, like Bravo by Betches and thetalkofshame, Bravo Historian, etc. have been reposting Madison’s screenshots that she posted to Instagram. It’s a shitshow. 

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, Babyfoot said:

So did anyone catch the Instagram feud between Madison “I Am Very Thirsty” Lecroy and Jay “I Am Very Skanky” Cutler this weekend? The Bravo blogger accounts, like Bravo by Betches and thetalkofshame, Bravo Historian, etc. have been reposting Madison’s screenshots that she posted to Instagram. It’s a shitshow. 

Can you please provide a link? 

• Love 1

Madison clearly deleted some of her response texts to Jay. The back and forth shows she must have deleted some things. She looks really thirsty and pathetic. I haven't followed this closely, but I don't think this "feud" was even about if Madison and Cutler had been hanging out or not? It was about comments Madison made on her insta live saying Kristin was a bad parent.

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, divsc said:

Madison clearly deleted some of her response texts to Jay. The back and forth shows she must have deleted some things. She looks really thirsty and pathetic. I haven't followed this closely, but I don't think this "feud" was even about if Madison and Cutler had been hanging out or not? It was about comments Madison made on her insta live saying Kristin was a bad parent.

Yes, I think that’s the biggest part of it. The whole thing is such a pathetic attention grab. 

• Love 4

Yuck. I’ve always had that vibe with Madison - that she’s a shameless social climber. I got that feeling when, after her first episode on SC last season when she still wasn’t a cast member, that she immediately got her blue check mark on IG. How can someone be so thirsty still after already landing a starring spot in a Bravo show?! I guess Madison will not stop until she gets a rich baby daddy for both her and her son.

Look, Austen is no prize, but this Jay Cutler thing reminded me of a post Austen made on IG last month or so when he responded to a troll who said that Madison deserved men, not frat boys, Austen replied something like “men, aka ones with the biggest, brightest blue check mark.” He’s equally a trash but he’s not wrong on that one.

And did she just redact the part where her text to Jay said “you shouldn’t have slept with me.”?! 

Edited by slowpoked
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7

I think it stems from this. I don't understand why she shared Cutler's private texts. Who cares if they were hanging out? Wasn't that public knowledge anyway? No one was calling Madison a liar, they were calling her thirsty.... which she clearly is, or creating drama out of nothing to try to be relevant. 

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/madison-lecroy-mocks-kristin-cavallari-amid-jay-cutler-drama/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKeJJftBuUt/

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 1/25/2021 at 2:03 PM, divsc said:

I think it stems from this. I don't understand why she shared Cutler's private texts. Who cares if they were hanging out? Wasn't that public knowledge anyway? No one was calling Madison a liar, they were calling her thirsty.... which she clearly is, or creating drama out of nothing to try to be relevant. 

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/madison-lecroy-mocks-kristin-cavallari-amid-jay-cutler-drama/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKeJJftBuUt/

Before watching that live clip, I thought: “could Madison be any more detestable?” Turns out, yes, absolutely yes. That was like watching some cosplay mashup of “Mean Girls,” “The House Bunny,” and “13 Going on 30.” 

• Love 7

Cam speaks up:

The One Day You’ll Thank Me: Essays on Dating, Motherhood, and Everything In Between author revealed that one of the producers called her after the story came to light and asked her, “Aren’t you going to show up? Aren’t you going to come to this party tonight to defend Jason?” to which she replied, “Are you kidding me?”

She continued: “I could see through what was happening. … So then I thought, ‘Damn, was this maybe a way to get me to show up and film,’ because they figured, well, surely she’s going to come back and defend Jason.”

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/cameran-eubanks-producers-wanted-me-to-crash-southern-charm-set/

• Useful 4
15 hours ago, nexxie said:

Cam speaks up:

The One Day You’ll Thank Me: Essays on Dating, Motherhood, and Everything In Between author revealed that one of the producers called her after the story came to light and asked her, “Aren’t you going to show up? Aren’t you going to come to this party tonight to defend Jason?” to which she replied, “Are you kidding me?”

She continued: “I could see through what was happening. … So then I thought, ‘Damn, was this maybe a way to get me to show up and film,’ because they figured, well, surely she’s going to come back and defend Jason.”

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/cameran-eubanks-producers-wanted-me-to-crash-southern-charm-set/

The producers probably hoped for a “surprise!” return of Cameran. I can see her being angry at that deceptive game. Jason may also have said, “You have enough of an income stream that you don’t need to do the show anymore. Please don’t film because they will make our marriage a central focus.” He has no interest in being on the show and maybe the ploy was to try to draw him in front of the cameras as well. 

I wonder if the early scene where Kathryn tells Craig the rumor about Jason cheating on Cameran was actually footage from the original filming for the season — the stuff that we’ve heard got scrapped. Maybe it had to be dumped because too much of it focused on “the rumor“ and Cameran‘s firm refusal to film nullified that storyline.

Edited by RedHawk
Spelling
  • Useful 5
  • Love 5

Pretty clear example of producer manipulation.  They wanted to exploit the rumor -- who knows, maybe they started it -- to have some juice for the season.

Because all it takes is some blowup on social media and they make a story out of it, like the stupid threesome video that they beat the dead horse to a pulp out of.

And what does it take to create a social media rumor really?  A couple of unvetted posts?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

This is an interesting quote from Danni: And I'm somebody that if I'm painting, I could be painting for 12 hours straight, and I won't look at my cell phone, I won't read an email. I thought that was an interesting thing to say when you put it into the context of her relationship with Kathryn. But with producer involvement and spin, you just can't ever tell what the real story between the two of them actually is or was.

It is in this article about the end of her engagement: https://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/southern-charm-danni-baird-ends-engagement-to-todd-baldree-explained

Maybe Todd insisted that she keep the ring. I know nothing about him except that they looked cute together. I completely understand her perspective. If it was an amicable parting however, I would have returned the ring. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

This is an interesting quote from Danni: And I'm somebody that if I'm painting, I could be painting for 12 hours straight, and I won't look at my cell phone, I won't read an email. I thought that was an interesting thing to say when you put it into the context of her relationship with Kathryn. But with producer involvement and spin, you just can't ever tell what the real story between the two of them actually is or was.

It is in this article about the end of her engagement: https://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/southern-charm-danni-baird-ends-engagement-to-todd-baldree-explained

Maybe Todd insisted that she keep the ring. I know nothing about him except that they looked cute together. I completely understand her perspective. If it was an amicable parting however, I would have returned the ring. 

We never know the full story on these things....keeping the ring vs. returning.  I've been engaged 5 times.  Some I've kept, some I've returned.  Each one was a different story.  Heck, one I returned, and he bought me a ruby & diamond cocktail ring to replace it.  Again, we never fully know the story.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

We never know the full story on these things....keeping the ring vs. returning.  I've been engaged 5 times.  Some I've kept, some I've returned.  Each one was a different story.  Heck, one I returned, and he bought me a ruby & diamond cocktail ring to replace it.  Again, we never fully know the story.

I give her a ton of credit for getting out because she didn’t feel right. That had to be really hard, especially two weeks before the wedding. I was having a recurring dream for a while there that I was at the church on my wedding day, trying to figure out how I could leave!! No idea who the groom was. I just knew I had to get out of there 😆 I also had a dream that I made out with Austen and I was mortified (in the dream) but that’s a story for another time!!

• LOL 6
  • Love 3