Type keyword(s) to search

SoCharmers in the Media: The Post & Courier

• Start Topic

On 11/10/2020 at 12:36 PM, heatherchandler said:

[Austin] explained, “Leva owns a couple of businesses on King Street and we had riots, right? And a bunch of windows got smashed out … and I reached out to her the next day and I was like, ‘Hey. I hope that your businesses weren’t affected’ because the business had just reopened post-COVID and these businesses were like starving for money and patrons and this and that … And I was like, ‘Sucks that a peaceful protest turned into such like a senseless act of violence.’

And she was like, ‘Windows can be replaced, but lives can’t.’ And I was like, ‘I was just trying to offer my condolences — like, I hope that your window didn’t get broken. But like, okay sorry.’ That’s how I feel about it. Like you can’t say the right thing...

Yeahh I don't like how this is going.  Why bring politics into this show?  Can't we have a crappy show of drunk idiots without this?  I am not a fan of Leva, she really likes to virtue signal.

So far, I like her. I hope she continues to slam Austen and Kathryn. They are such useless human beings.

• Love 17
On 11/10/2020 at 12:58 PM, Babyfoot said:

The truth hurts. For my part, I don’t see how race can be ignored any longer, especially on show about a city that was literally built by slaves. Whether Southern Charm addresses race issues well or not, or with their usual tone-deaf touch, is yet to be seen. It’s messy and it’s uncomfortable but it needs to be addressed. Even on mindless reality shows. I’ve followed Leva for years. She’s known most of the cast very well since the show’s inception. She’s a hardworking and loyal friend. I don’t find her preachy but maybe that’s because I agree with her. 

Agree 100%. I am open to some intelligent content for a change, mixed in with the drunken silliness. We sure aren't going to get it from the  likes of Kathryn and Austen. A certain segment of the audience will be offended,  but it just might hold onto some of us wondering if we were up for another season of nothing but drunk and stupid. I am looking to Leva as a big part of that. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I think the days of wanting fluffy fun/ sticking your head in the sand are over, at least for now.

And everything is political, even if you think it isn't.

I disagree - none of the other shows I watch have included politics.  Reality shows like Below Deck, 90 Day Fiancé, Real Housewives, Love After Lockup.  Dramas like the Crown (no current politics). 

I want to watch tv to zone out and maybe laugh a little.  I don't have my head in the sand in real life, and I watch political shows, but I don't want politics in my entertainment.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
33 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Didn’t she already have big boobs?

Yea, I thought so? She used to go to my old gym. Her face definitely looks like Jessica Simpson and is attractive in person. She has extremely broad shoulders which always threw me off because she's petite, but these huge shoulders.. Maybe the boobs will balance her body out, I don't know. I would not have thought she needed to get implants. But she's very attention seeking so no surprise there, and going to that surgeon for boobs is like "a thing" in that crowd. Normally I would not comment, but like I said, she was personally rude to me a few times and annoys me.

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
On 11/10/2020 at 2:58 PM, biakbiak said:

Or as a POC living in the South she is stating her feelings about her own business. Austen in that sounds like a total dick. It’s her business if she doesn’t have an issue with it he shouldn’t be all whiny about her reaction. 

Ehhh...maybe naive, but not a dick.  The quote copied from the linked article didn't capture everything that Austen said.  He was expressing frustration with the fact that no matter what he says or how understanding he tries to be, the recipient (not just Leva) gets angry with him. 

Of course, Leva had a right to state her opinion about the broken windows (and many other business owners who were vandalized have echoed her sentiments).  Unfortunately, she doesn't strike me as particularly sincere or candid in any of her interactions with the cast (or even her own family), so I'll take her charitable reaction to the rioters who damaged her restaurant with a huuuuuge grain of salt.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I disagree - none of the other shows I watch have included politics.  Reality shows like Below Deck, 90 Day Fiancé, Real Housewives, Love After Lockup.  Dramas like the Crown (no current politics). 

I want to watch tv to zone out and maybe laugh a little.  I don't have my head in the sand in real life, and I watch political shows, but I don't want politics in my entertainment.  

Southern Charm takes place in the American South.  

RHOA and RHOP have addressed politics.

• Love 13
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 4:40 PM, heatherchandler said:

What truth?  I’m not hurt by this.  I just don’t see how this show needs to deal with anything political.  It’s not because it’s uncomfortable, it’s just that this show is about people partying and dating relationships.  I’m sure there are shows out there where politics and human rights are at the forefront.  I want fluffy fun, that’s what this show is.

The show is supposed to be about people's real lives. And yes, since its inception, the "real" lives of these people didn't involve anything more serious than who slept with whom. (As an aside, that is because the producers and cast have chosen to not talk about people's real issues - Kathryn and Craig's addictions, Shep's drinking problem, JD's infidelity, etc.) But I think its unfair to say that a show that started out with one of the cast mates literally running for US Senate, should not deal with the political. The point that Leva is trying to make is that her entire EXISTANCE is political to other people.  Iranian, check; interracial marriage, check; bi-racial child, check; immigrant, check. So, if her "real" world is other people being uncomfortable with or making assumptions about who or what she is or does, or believes, why should she not show that? She shouldn't have to pretend that people don't look at her funny, or make comments about her kid, or make ridiculous assumptions about her just so everyone else won't have to confront their issues. 

• Love 23
16 hours ago, divsc said:

Yea, I thought so? She used to go to my old gym. Her face definitely looks like Jessica Simpson and is attractive in person. She has extremely broad shoulders which always threw me off because she's petite, but these huge shoulders.. Maybe the boobs will balance her body out, I don't know. I would not have thought she needed to get implants. But she's very attention seeking so no surprise there, and going to that surgeon for boobs is like "a thing" in that crowd. Normally I would not comment, but like I said, she was personally rude to me a few times and annoys me.

Anything you can share? Enquiring minds want to know, at least this one does. I always like stories about brushes with “celebrities”. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, TruffleHog said:

Ehhh...maybe naive, but not a dick.  The quote copied from the linked article didn't capture everything that Austen said.  He was expressing frustration with the fact that no matter what he says or how understanding he tries to be, the recipient (not just Leva) gets angry with him. 

Of course, Leva had a right to state her opinion about the broken windows (and many other business owners who were vandalized have echoed her sentiments).  Unfortunately, she doesn't strike me as particularly sincere or candid in any of her interactions with the cast (or even her own family), so I'll take her charitable reaction to the rioters who damaged her restaurant with a huuuuuge grain of salt.

A person can be upset about human rights AND upset about vandalism.  It’s not a zero sum game.  Expressing sympathy for broken windows is a kindness.

I am close with small business owners in Chicago who were devastated by the vandalism and looting.  They are immigrants too and they were out protesting when their store was destroyed.  

2 hours ago, Rlb8031 said:

The show is supposed to be about people's real lives. And yes, since its inception, the "real" lives of these people didn't involve anything more serious than who slept with whom. (As an aside, that is because the producers and cast have chosen to not talk about people's real issues - Kathryn and Craig's addictions, Shep's drinking problem, JD's infidelity, etc.) But I think its unfair to say that a show that started out with one of the cast mates literally running for US Senate, should not deal with the political. The point that Leva is trying to make is that her entire EXISTANCE is political to other people.  Iranian, check; interracial marriage, check; bi-racial child, check; immigrant, check. So, if her "real" world is other people being uncomfortable with or making assumptions about who or what she is or does, or believes, why should she not show that? She shouldn't have to pretend that people don't look at her funny, or make comments about her kid, or make ridiculous assumptions about her just so everyone else won't have to confront their issues. 

I disagree.  People asking where she is from- I guess she’s upset by it.. I am sometimes asked where I’m from.  I never get upset, it’s natural to be curious, and rarely done with I’ll intent.  

Calling out racism as entertainment?  I don’t find that entertaining, I guess some people do?

Leva came on the show with an agenda, some kind of reckoning, big bright virtue signal.  But she’s coming off to me as fake, and insincere.  And I’m not buying what she’s selling.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

I disagree.  People asking where she is from- I guess she’s upset by it.. I am sometimes asked where I’m from.  I never get upset, it’s natural to be curious, and rarely done with I’ll intent.  

My guess is that wherever you are from, the expectation is were supposed to be there. My experience is that when I get asked where I'm from and I respond I often get "No, where are you from from", as if my being born in the US isn't legitimate enough. And yes, sometimes it is very much with ill intent. 

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Rlb8031 said:

My guess is that wherever you are from, the expectation is were supposed to be there. My experience is that when I get asked where I'm from and I respond I often get "No, where are you from from", as if my being born in the US isn't legitimate enough. And yes, sometimes it is very much with ill intent. 

Yeah it’s up there with “what are you?”.

• Love 11
22 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Anything you can share? Enquiring minds want to know, at least this one does. I always like stories about brushes with “celebrities”. 

I actually met both Austen & Madison a year ago at his TropHop booth at the 2019 CF&WF. Yes, I also got a shameless selfie with Austen, nerded out over craft beer with him and everything; he was super nice and we even traded some wisecracks about the show.
His beer is actually *really* good, not too fruit-forward and has a nice ABV, so I was pleasantly surprised I liked it so much since I’m an admitted craft beer snob. Like Craig, I probably drank way more of it than I should’ve, but it goes down very smoothly!
So I got extremely nostalgic during the recent CF&WF episode, because that entire festival is *such* a great time and Austen is very kind to anyone visiting his beer’s booth.
Madison was kinda in her own world at that event and just stood in the background of the booth almost posing and/or repeatedly whispering things at him and yelping his name to pay attention to her and/or look at her phone. She’s very pretty and petite in person, like shockingly TINY in every way, but she seemed a bit like a yelping chihuahua behind him and wasn’t talking to anyone or pushing his beer at all though. So it was interesting to see her portrayed as this cool hustler saleswoman type on the show, suddenly standing up front at his booth chatting everyone up and pushing his products. I guess being an actual cast member by then made her wanna grab that quality camera time!

After that CF&WF in ‘19 my husband and I were walking down King St and suddenly saw Austen and Craig stumble into a bar ahead of us; no joke, we didn’t even notice it was them until they waved back at us, which was kinda funny because they both were soooo damned LIT. I’d met Craig a year earlier at a local bar there and even got to see Naomi walk into that same bar and quickly walk out as soon as she saw Craig there(she’s also tiny in person), so I’m guessing it’s fairly easy to have random SC cast sightings if you go to enough bars downtown on King St. 

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Useful 9
  • Love 12

No big deal but Danni is the only person from Southern Charm I follow on social media and her, Naomie, and the other Madison who I recognize from the Persian Dinner scene all went to Wyoming for some sort of Winter girls trip.  Looked like fun and I'm really happy her and Naomie are still good buds.  Here is the link to the pics

• Love 3
On 11/13/2020 at 2:21 PM, Rlb8031 said:

I don't understand this sentiment.  I was an Air Force brat who later joined the Air Force.  "Where are you from?" is a completely normal question.  Charleston is an urban community; why would anybody expect somebody who lives in Charleston to almost automatically be from Charleston?

Completely unrelated, my husband and I visited Charleston a few years ago.  We found it quite charming and, wow, they know how to do grits. 

• Love 7
On 11/13/2020 at 1:59 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

Hmm.... I would probably give myself away! These were from a few years back - she was still married to her ex-husband at the time. They were both... a hot train wreck mess. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, albarino said:

I don't understand this sentiment.  I was an Air Force brat who later joined the Air Force.  "Where are you from?" is a completely normal question.  Charleston is an urban community; why would anybody expect somebody who lives in Charleston to almost automatically be from Charleston?

Completely unrelated, my husband and I visited Charleston a few years ago.  We found it quite charming and, wow, they know how to do grits. 

Well Charleston has sooo many transplants these days that it feels like no one is "from" Charleston anymore. The stat was something like 43 people a day move here. Now with all the covid restrictions in other states, we are seeing a huge influx from New York City/tri-state area and northerners. People realize how much lower property taxes are here and being close to the beach. But cost of living is still high, a lot higher than it used to be. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, albarino said:

Are you white? “Where are you from?” isn’t intended the same way when you’re not. Something’s telling me these people aren’t taking “California” as a final answer. No, where are you really from? They’re trying to get to the root of her ethnicity.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, JenE4 said:

Are you white? “Where are you from?” isn’t intended the same way when you’re not. Something’s telling me these people aren’t taking “California” as a final answer. No, where are you really from? They’re trying to get to the root of her ethnicity.

It is a perfectly normal thing for human beings to be curious about the people they meet and socialize with.  The brain works that way.

Wasn't the whole point of the Persian dinner to discuss WHERE Leva is FROM, and how her parents got to where they are, and what they have been through.  Asking someone for their background means that person has intellectual curiosity, and would like to get to know someone.  White or not.  

If someone is aggressively saying "where are you from, go back there" - that is a different story.  I think in everyday life, most people have good intentions.  

• Love 9

I was an Air Force brat and the military is very racially diverse. I can understand both sides but definitely “where are you from” was one of the first things you got asked when you moved regardless of race. It’s all in the intent. 
Oh, and if it matters, I’m biracial. 

Edited by Kiss my mutt
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

It is a perfectly normal thing for human beings to be curious about the people they meet and socialize with.  The brain works that way.

Wasn't the whole point of the Persian dinner to discuss WHERE Leva is FROM, and how her parents got to where they are, and what they have been through.  Asking someone for their background means that person has intellectual curiosity, and would like to get to know someone.  White or not.  

If someone is aggressively saying "where are you from, go back there" - that is a different story.  I think in everyday life, most people have good intentions.  

I got the impression that when Leva was telling her story it wasn’t in relation to genuine friends getting to know her, but random strangers basically interrogating her. She was eager to share her culture with her friends. Some random stranger giving her the side-eye and asking her where she’s from, not so comfortable with that.

• Love 7

Kind of a general overview of the series from VF, alludes to the show finally coming to terms with "unexamined racism":

If the city, and the South as a whole, can take steps to revolutionize from within, the show has no excuse. Indeed, in Southern Charm’s seventh season preview, Bravo promised a reckoning for the cast’s unexamined racism. After Ravenel’s exit, Eubanks and two other cast members left as well. The show added Leva Bonaparte as a main cast member, its first woman of color. She’s already met the moment: In an early season seven episode, she calls out Dennis for living in a bubble of white privilege. When Bonaparte’s business is damaged in a Black Lives Matter protest, she doesn’t lash out: “Windows can be replaced, but lives can’t,” she tells Shep unequivocally.

Storylines like this can certainly feel forced, but it’s at least given Southern Charm a chance to do more than simply rubbernecking at tarnished privilege. This season, we might just get the chance to see that bubble fully burst. What’s more, the cast could finally show us those manners.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/11/southern-charm-bravo-season-7

• Love 2
15 hours ago, albarino said:

In the context of the military where everyone is moving around, its not an unusual question. But when I lived in Washington DC, I'd get this question. When I answered New York people would say no as if 1) I may not understand what they were asking, or 2) my being from NY was an impossibility.

And as someone pointed out POC know immediately when this is question of genuine curiosity and when its someone trying to ask an impolite question in a polite manner. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Charmers,

We are having an interesting discussion about "Where are you from?" as a question that can be totally innocent (As in where do you move here from?  Or do I detect a Minnesota accent?) and as a question that may expose some racism (As in you don't appear white, therefore you must be from another country).  However, we are getting a bit far afield of the media thread.  Please continue this discussion in Small Talk.  And thank you for tackling a sensitive topic in such a respectful manner. I toast you all with my martini! 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, aghst said:

Kind of a general overview of the series from VF, alludes to the show finally coming to terms with "unexamined racism":

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/11/southern-charm-bravo-season-7

Storylines like this can certainly feel forced, but it’s at least given Southern Charm a chance to do more than simply rubbernecking at tarnished privilege. This season, we might just get the chance to see that bubble fully burst. What’s more, the cast could finally show us those manners.

I watch the show because I like to see the lives of the privileged.  I like to see Patricia's big house and the fancy stuff they do.  I like to make fun of them, yes.  But like the Real Housewives, when they take away the "inside peek at the really rich people" angle, it is boring.  I don't want to see people shop at Walmart.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 11/20/2020 at 12:27 AM, divsc said:

Well Charleston has sooo many transplants these days that it feels like no one is "from" Charleston anymore. The stat was something like 43 people a day move here. Now with all the covid restrictions in other states, we are seeing a huge influx from New York City/tri-state area and northerners. People realize how much lower property taxes are here and being close to the beach. But cost of living is still high, a lot higher than it used to be. 

The Charleston people I’ve known for 25 years, either born there or moved there in the ‘90s, are already worried about the stress all the development from ~2014-2019 has put on the infrastructure. They are happy that their home values are going up but not thrilled about the growing population and increasing cost of living. 

Charleston used to be more like a small town and still is in many ways. At least one of my friends met/knew Thomas Ravenel from the bar scene “back in the day” when we were all in our late 20s to late 30s. (T-Rav and I are the same age.)

• Love 4

A bunch of the Bravo gossip pages are giggling at the cameras capturing certain powdery white crumbs all over Austen’s coffee table after one of his typical house parties. Like it’s a big secret that half these folks love the smell of coke as much as T-Rav—you just can’t stay up non-stop partying while drunk until 4 or 5am like these guys all do without the help of a little something extra, and it ain’t just “Adderall”, Craig. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
On 11/18/2020 at 11:26 AM, Dirtybubble said:

No big deal but Danni is the only person from Southern Charm I follow on social media and her, Naomie, and the other Madison who I recognize from the Persian Dinner scene all went to Wyoming for some sort of Winter girls trip.  Looked like fun and I'm really happy her and Naomie are still good buds.  Here is the link to the pics

So Danni is an artist ? Who knew ? I thought she was a liquor sales rep .

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

So Danni is an artist ? Who knew ? I thought she was a liquor sales rep .

She quit a season or two ago to pursue it full time, it was the closest she has ever gotten to a storyline before the whole STD thing. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
On 11/30/2020 at 6:23 PM, biakbiak said:

Apparently they are filming the reunion shortly. Andy is soliciting questions. 

I guess that reunion will be Zoomed. 

In case you guys hadn't seen Craig's pillow business Sewing Down South has Christmas Pillows available.  Excuse me -- pillow covers, not the actual pillows themselves for close to $60 a pop!  I like Craig but he better pray to every deity that will listen to him that Southern Charm never goes off the air.  I can't imagine anybody spending that much money for a pillow cover.  They're nice looking throw pillows but it just seems wrong to charge that much for them--especially with so many people still either out of work or struggling with lower incomes.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 5
On 12/8/2020 at 1:37 PM, Dirtybubble said:

So Shep has a book coming out as well.  *yawn*

Just like Cameron's book I might buy it if I see it on the clearance rack at B&N

Yeah. I’d read them via the public library but I refuse to spend money on that shit.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 11/30/2020 at 5:23 PM, biakbiak said:

Apparently they are filming the reunion shortly. Andy is soliciting questions. 

Wow. The season seems so short!

I'm enjoying the current season of Southern Charm, which is saying something because I haven't enjoyed it for a few years.

I like the current cast across the board, and I REALLY like the fact that the show is filming issues related to racism and the pandemic. I want my reality TV to be real - not sugar coated (as little as possible, anyway)

I also appreciate seeing different political opinions from cast members on occassion. We don't all think alike and we don't all value the same things. 

Having said all lthis, I definately do NOT want Bravo shows to become political soap boxes for the network, producers, cast, or Andy Cohen.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 5

They're both bad parents but based on what we see on the show, Kathryn is probably not fit to be a mother.

May be too late though, the kids have bonded with her by now so sole custody for either of them is probably going to be traumatic.

If Saint is suffering from FAS, it doesn't reflect well on Kathryn but doesn't necessarily mean she shouldn't have any custody, unless Thomas can prove that she still gets high or drunk.

• Love 1

I realize that FAS is caused by maternal alcohol consumption, but can we at least admit that TR's DNA can't possibly be the purest, and that maybe he should be held responsible for unfettered breeding with inappropriate women?

He will always blame others for his own shortcomings.  I'm not excusing Kathryn, but when you poke your stick in any fire, you might just get a raging inferno.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
Punctuation you fool!
  • Love 9
On 6/11/2020 at 1:06 PM, Sun-Bun said:

Oh boy...now Craig’s come under fire from a few Bravo fan accounts for his silence over recent events. He posted this video on Instagram in an attempt to obviously appease the masses, and people were not having it:

Methinks it’s finally time for SC to be shelved. Shep and Austen have offered a few random social media posts about recent issues, but the entire cast has been otherwise noticeably quieter than usual lately. Given how friendly they are with the “Vanderpump Rules” cast, I guess they’re feeling a bit nervous lately too.

8468366B-E331-471A-8815-62C3CFA9453D.jpeg

AF914815-8D58-4F71-8542-D07733177298.jpeg

How about we leave people alone?  Some are mad at their silence?  Geez. They are probably afraid of saying the wrong thing.  When has silence become problematic?  It’s wise to stay silent when you aren’t sure what to say. That’s what I call a mature decision. 

• Love 6
On 11/12/2020 at 10:16 AM, chlban said:

So far, I like her. I hope she continues to slam Austen and Kathryn. They are such useless human beings.

So, she should slam Austin for showing her empathy??  We just saw an episode before the protests where Leva shows concern for losing her business due to shut downs.  It makes sense that a friend would offer words of sympathy to a business that’s struggling, and then has their windows smashed on top of it.  That’s another added expense.  So, now it’s a bad thing for Austin to offer kind words? 

On 11/12/2020 at 5:01 PM, Neurochick said:

I think the days of wanting fluffy fun/ sticking your head in the sand are over, at least for now.

And everything is political, even if you think it isn't.

So, we have to be miserable 24/7?  Every fluffy reality show has to be political?  Entertainment is an escape.  If I want political, I can watch the news 24/7 or go protest.  

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, IKnowRight said:

How about we leave people alone?  Some are mad at their silence?  Geez. They are probably afraid of saying the wrong thing.  When has silence become problematic?  It’s wise to stay silent when you aren’t sure what to say. That’s what I call a mature decision. 

The bullying of Craig online is gross and pathetic.  I agree, mature decision.

I agree, keep Southern Charm fluffy light and fun.  Idiots drinking and having fun- that’s what I want to watch.  

• Love 6
10 hours ago, aghst said:

If Saint is suffering from FAS, it doesn't reflect well on Kathryn but doesn't necessarily mean she shouldn't have any custody, unless Thomas can prove that she still gets high or drunk.

It's so hypocritical. They BOTH get high and drunk. All.The.Time.

Thomas just has more money for endless court cases. For the kids sake, they need to have one or two really good nannies and keep joint custody. It'll be interesting to see who the children choose to live with, when old enough to do so.

• Love 8