Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lola16

SoCharmers in the Media: The Post & Courier

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

It's unbelievably ironic that this particular series has become such a trash receptacle.

Let's remember that the roots of the tree are in Bravo soil. 

  • Like 10
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

Some of her good friends, not even some of her best friends?

At least racists say “some of my best friends” ...

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I assume the show's future is uncertain, given the pandemic, and it has already been rumored that Bravo was slashing paychecks, even before the pandemic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I assume the show's future is uncertain, given the pandemic, and it has already been rumored that Bravo was slashing paychecks, even before the pandemic.

Maybe that's the reason Cam, Naomi and Chelsea quit, because Bravo cut their pay.

Or they were basically going to let Bravo suffer with a large cast turnover and then probably come crawling back to them next season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, scrb said:

Maybe that's the reason Cam, Naomi and Chelsea quit, because Bravo cut their pay.

Or they were basically going to let Bravo suffer with a large cast turnover and then probably come crawling back to them next season.

Fairly sure, based on accounts I've read, that Naomi and Chelsea gave their notice before there was a Corona virus.  I've seen it said that Cam gave them the word last year also, but less sure of that.

Share this post


Link to post

I think Bravo should just let it die. Even before all this week's news hit, none of the show's story lines seemed organic any longer; everything felt contrived and completely fake. Stick a fork in it. 

The only incarnation of this franchise that I'd like to see more of is Southern Charm: New Orleans. JMHO.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah I am pretty sure Naomie’s decision had more to with her dad’s death than a pay cut. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I guess this split never really happened.  Or at least the cycle wasn't completed.  (Note photo credit).  Also, apparently no real SC friendships?  At least no 'likes' from current or past castmembers.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

The only incarnation of this franchise that I'd like to see more of is Southern Charm: New Orleans. JMHO.

OH YES!  I genuinely enjoy the show and it has never been more relevant than this week with the tragic death of that young black man in Minneapolis.  I keep remembering that sad speech that the African-American dad (forgot his name! The TV anchorwoman's husband, I think) gave his son who had just gotten his drivers license.  He warned him about the police and said, "You're a young black man driving a BMW in a white neighborhood." (IIRC)  It was one of the most honest moments I've seen on a Bravo reality show and I think show deserves to be renewed for that alone as a representation of its value.  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/21/2020 at 2:10 PM, scrb said:

Maybe that's the reason Cam, Naomi and Chelsea quit, because Bravo cut their pay.

Or they were basically going to let Bravo suffer with a large cast turnover and then probably come crawling back to them next season.

I thought Naomi and Chelsea were fired.

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I thought Naomi and Chelsea were fired.

I haven’t seen anything saying that or even implying that. In fact a bunch of people thought they were filming because they were at an event together but it’s just because they actually do hang out and both love animals.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I haven’t seen anything saying that or even implying that. In fact a bunch of people thought they were filming because they were at an event together but it’s just because they actually do hang out and both love animals.

I don’t remember where I heard it, it may have been from a friend of a friend who works on the show.  It’s a “word on the street” situation, so who knows if it’s true.  I remember being happy to hear it because I find them boring.

Share this post


Link to post

Naomi at least mentioned weeks before they started filming this already late start that she was an ex-reality star which was a few weeks after her dad’s death which seems to be more of a deciding factor. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/21/2020 at 2:10 PM, scrb said:

Maybe that's the reason Cam, Naomi and Chelsea quit, because Bravo cut their pay.

Or they were basically going to let Bravo suffer with a large cast turnover and then probably come crawling back to them next season.

See the Cameron thread. There's speculation she quit due to the rumors about her husband being unfaithful. Apparently the rumor was spread by Kathryn. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Sweet-tea said:

See the Cameron thread. There's speculation she quit due to the rumors about her husband being unfaithful. Apparently the rumor was spread by Kathryn. 

She quit last year long before there were any rumors. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Given that Bravo fired 4 people from VPR today for their racism,  I wonder about the likelihood of this whole show being scrapped. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

They should at least fire Kathryn.  Her racist tweets are a lot more recent than Brett and Max’s from VPR.

  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

She quit last year long before there were any rumors. 

Perhaps because she was afraid of story coming out? Who knows. 

Share this post


Link to post

Oh boy...now Craig’s come under fire from a few Bravo fan accounts for his silence over recent events. He posted this video on Instagram in an attempt to obviously appease the masses, and people were not having it:

Methinks it’s finally time for SC to be shelved. Shep and Austen have offered a few random social media posts about recent issues, but the entire cast has been otherwise noticeably quieter than usual lately. Given how friendly they are with the “Vanderpump Rules” cast, I guess they’re feeling a bit nervous lately too.

8468366B-E331-471A-8815-62C3CFA9453D.jpeg

AF914815-8D58-4F71-8542-D07733177298.jpeg

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/17/2020 at 9:14 PM, biakbiak said:

Dani and Madison from Gwynn’s were spotted filming. 

And got backlash for it from some of the BLM peaceful protestors who spotted them and said online that the crew was getting in their way, trying to make those gals(all dressed in their Sunday best, no less) appear to be allies there to help join the protest too. I’m surprised the crew didn’t make them special picket signs to match their dresses and wedges. Tone deaf= SC producers. 
 

Word on the street is that one of the guys(not Shep!) has to be sent home from filming because he had COVID-like symptoms and ended up testing positive. My money is on Craig since he’s been scoffing at the whole masks/quarantine stuff so hard and has been radio silent all week on SM. Although both he and Austen have been eerily silent, so who knows?
 

 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

From the "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" department:

https://people.com/tv/eliza-limehouse-leaving-southern-charm/

Eliza Limehouse is not returning for season 7 of the hit Bravo reality show, PEOPLE can exclusively announce.

"It's been a thrill to be part of Southern Charm, but with a wedding to plan on top of my busy work life, it's best for me to focus on what's next," Limehouse tells PEOPLE. "I walk away from my reality TV ride with positive feelings, and no regrets. I'm grateful for the experience, for the friendships I made along the way, and for loyal fans who have been so supportive and kind. I can't wait to marry the love of my life Struthers, spend more time with my horses and start this exciting new chapter."

Limehouse first appeared on Southern Charm as a friend of the cast for two seasons before becoming an official cast member during season 6.

  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, zenme said:

Her fiancée’s name was Struthers?  

His real name is Mark, Struthers is either his middle name or just a nickname.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

A gal on Tik-Tok just posted the most interesting detective work on this series; Bravo has cleaned some past episodes completely from its playlist. Apparently anything mentioning plantations or the racial history of the city was quietly shelved by the network since then. Some of those missing episodes featured Eliza’s main scenes, coincidentally. She barely brought anything to the show anyway, so no great loss there.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

A gal on Tik-Tok just posted the most interesting detective work on this series; Bravo has cleaned some past episodes completely from its playlist. Apparently anything mentioning plantations or the racial history of the city was quietly shelved by the network since then. Some of those missing episodes featured Eliza’s main scenes, coincidentally. She barely brought anything to the show anyway, so no great loss there.

You've got me curious now. Top Chef did a Charleston season four years ago and they filmed an episode at Boone Hall Plantation. I wonder if that episode's been removed too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

You've got me curious now. Top Chef did a Charleston season four years ago and they filmed an episode at Boone Hall Plantation. I wonder if that episode's been removed too.

It’s still up on Hulu where all seasons of TC are streaming, we are doing a rewatch so just started the season a few days ago. 

I doubt that they will cut it given that they do acknowledge what it is and talk about slavery vs. on SC where people just gushed about how nice they were.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

A gal on Tik-Tok just posted the most interesting detective work on this series; Bravo has cleaned some past episodes completely from its playlist. Apparently anything mentioning plantations or the racial history of the city was quietly shelved by the network since then. Some of those missing episodes featured Eliza’s main scenes, coincidentally. She barely brought anything to the show anyway, so no great loss there.

That's interesting, since Thomas' polo property was a former plantation IIRC. There were several episodes set there. Did they disappear all of them? Best of all, did they disappear old racist daddy Ravenel talking about how he didn't like $5 bills because Lincoln was on them? The only reason to keep that scene in would be to show the raw racism of prominent old white men like him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

8 hours ago, RedHawk said:

That's interesting, since Thomas' polo property was a former plantation IIRC. There were several episodes set there. Did they disappear all of them? Best of all, did they disappear old racist daddy Ravenel talking about how he didn't like $5 bills because Lincoln was on them? The only reason to keep that scene in would be to show the raw racism of prominent old white men like him.

She actually did mention that very scene in another TikTok clip; she did a Part 2 of her “Exposing Southern Charm” posts. I don’t remember exactly which episodes she mentioned that Bravo had removed, but it was a handful. I’m not actually on TikTok so I’m unable to post those clips here, but her name on there is Kiki  @thetalkofshame and she does lots of Bravo-centric TikTok clips.

Here’s her thoughts on Kathryn, among other Bravo folks: 

 

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Go figure, the press picked up that gal’s SC detective work on TikTok, and it’s been confirmed by Bravo that they had to remove all the episodes featuring racially-insensitive material:

 

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/15/2020 at 12:47 PM, scrb said:

Eliza and her lawn jockey are gone!

Although there is an otherwise unsubstantiated legend that lawn jockeys were used as signals for the Underground Railroad.  The color of the ribbon tied to the jockey let escaping slaves know whether it was a safe house.  Pretty cool if true!

  • Like 5
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I’m surprised they are not even doing a prenup, more than I am surprised that they are getting married. 
She must have blinders on (about his money) if she is able to not let all of his bad press effect her decision. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Shep will ever leave this show as long as it’s own. He has nothing else to show for himself and no real revelance other than being born into a “good” family. He’s not any different than Austen whom he relishes in criticizing. 

Edited by Kiss my mutt
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, politichick said:

[Austin] explained, “Leva owns a couple of businesses on King Street and we had riots, right? And a bunch of windows got smashed out … and I reached out to her the next day and I was like, ‘Hey. I hope that your businesses weren’t affected’ because the business had just reopened post-COVID and these businesses were like starving for money and patrons and this and that … And I was like, ‘Sucks that a peaceful protest turned into such like a senseless act of violence.’

And she was like, ‘Windows can be replaced, but lives can’t.’ And I was like, ‘I was just trying to offer my condolences — like, I hope that your window didn’t get broken. But like, okay sorry.’ That’s how I feel about it. Like you can’t say the right thing...

 

Yeahh I don't like how this is going.  Why bring politics into this show?  Can't we have a crappy show of drunk idiots without this?  I am not a fan of Leva, she really likes to virtue signal.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The truth hurts. For my part, I don’t see how race can be ignored any longer, especially on show about a city that was literally built by slaves. Whether Southern Charm addresses race issues well or not, or with their usual tone-deaf touch, is yet to be seen. It’s messy and it’s uncomfortable but it needs to be addressed. Even on mindless reality shows. I’ve followed Leva for years. She’s known most of the cast very well since the show’s inception. She’s a hardworking and loyal friend. I don’t find her preachy but maybe that’s because I agree with her. 

  • Like 18
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

 

Yeahh I don't like how this is going.  Why bring politics into this show?  Can't we have a crappy show of drunk idiots without this?  I am not a fan of Leva, she really likes to virtue signal.

Or as a POC living in the South she is stating her feelings about her own business. Austen in that sounds like a total dick. It’s her business if she doesn’t have an issue with it he shouldn’t be all whiny about her reaction. 

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Babyfoot said:

The truth hurts. For my part, I don’t see how race can be ignored any longer, especially on show about a city that was literally built by slaves. Whether Southern Charm addresses race issues well or not, or with their usual tone-deaf touch, is yet to be seen. It’s messy and it’s uncomfortable but it needs to be addressed. Even on mindless reality shows. I’ve followed Leva for years. She’s known most of the cast very well since the show’s inception. She’s a hardworking and loyal friend. I don’t find her preachy but maybe that’s because I agree with her. 

What truth?  I’m not hurt by this.  I just don’t see how this show needs to deal with anything political.  It’s not because it’s uncomfortable, it’s just that this show is about people partying and dating relationships.  I’m sure there are shows out there where politics and human rights are at the forefront.  I want fluffy fun, that’s what this show is.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size